IMG_2684 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2683 (resized).jpeg
Mockup copy (resized).jpg
Arena Flag reference (resized).jpeg
Arena Example (resized).jpg
A8B73FBB-E32F-40A1-B3B3-A88BF1580B53 (resized).jpeg
8C321613-BEAD-4723-9134-CC46E02ECCD7 (resized).jpeg
20230219_002941 (resized).jpg
There are 1,713 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 35.
#1001 7 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

It's a referee. Either Bill Alfonzo or a generic one. Refs back then used to wear either white or light blue dress shirts with a bow tie.

Holy cow....you just made me look at my game totally different....lol!
I had either been told by somebody, or read somewhere, it was supposed to be Bob Backlund. While I never thought it looked much like Backlund, and thought it weird he would be used during this era's art package, I just went with it, as I thought it looked like a guy with short blond hair in a striped zip up track like jacket.
However, now reading you say it is a referee, it is clear as day it is a ref.....blue shirt (that darker horizontal section isn't a "stripe"...lol..it's the shadow of his arm), black bow tie....hands in air like making a count.....it all makes sense now....lol.

IMG_0258 (resized).JPGIMG_0258 (resized).JPG

#1002 7 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

That would have been cool if it would have been Warrior, but I'm going to guess that it might not have been meant to be him. I am of course guessing, but here are my "clues" I'm using to make my hypothesis....lol
In 1991, Warrior left on really bad terms, as he demanded more money to go out to the ring for a really big pay per view match. Vince was steamed and Warrior was gone ASAP. Then he returned, but was gone again in 1992, as he tested positive for steroids, and as it says on IPDB, one of the revised was that the WWF wanted the art redone to reflect less "steroid looking" bodies. In 1991, the steroid scandal really hit the fan, and in 1994, it was in high gear. Granted, Hulk was also seen as one of the "steroid" looking guys, however, I am guessing they were more willing to do a less steroid version of Hulk and use him, as they were going with Hulk already because of his iconic appeal ...even though he was technically not with the company....combined with the bad blood with Warrior, I am guessing Warrior wasn't going to get that prominent spot on the game.
I also put the pics together and although we only have the tip of the boot on the prototype version.....it is the HULK yellow, and when you put it next to the artwork used in the production run, the tip if the boot looks identical, which leads me to further believe it was Hulk in both versions.
Again.....all of this is just a guess on my end...and I just enjoyed thinking out loud about it.....lol

The matching boot does look like a Hogan boot but here's a few guess's in favor of Warrior. And like you said just guesses lol.

Warrior changed up his gear a lot so him having yellow boots on wouldn't be too far fetched.

Having Hogan twice on each side would seem too repetitive in my opinion. You have macho man Hogan and flair already Warrior would be the next natural one.

Looking at the original translite DE and the WWF were fine with using the Warrior on that and he's even shown as one of the 3 major stars being bigger and on top. But all of the real life Warrior issues is what kept him off the final design.

I also feel that they just changed the Warriors head to Hogans head and colored his tights a different color. Those backbox Hogan bodies look way more like Warriors body. Hogan was always a big guy but he wasn't as cut up as the Warrior.

Again fun guesses of what might have been

#1003 7 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Does anyone know what the headbox and front artwork looked like on that original version?
I Might be able to get artwork done if so

I've been wanting this art since I first saw it. If you can do it, I for one would be interested big time.

#1004 7 years ago

I'm going to need more photo's if I am to get it done.

The side are is fine as I can get it done identical both sides and just adjust the height of the stars. If you look at the words Royal Rumble" it'll have to have the "E" of rumble closer to the front on one side & then "R" in Royal closer on the other.

I can then either match the current artwork on the front & Headbox with a blue background (which I'd rather not do) or find out somehow what matches the Proto artwork

Or do a combo of the 2

#1005 7 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

I had either been told by somebody, or read somewhere, it was supposed to be Bob Backlund. While I never thought it looked much like Backlund, and thought it weird he would be used during this era's art package, I just went with it, as I thought it looked like a guy with short blond hair in a striped zip up track like jacket.
However, now reading you say it is a referee, it is clear as day it is a ref.....blue shirt (that darker horizontal section isn't a "stripe"...lol..it's the shadow of his arm), black bow tie....hands in air like making a count.....it all makes sense now....lol.

Haha same here, I was searching for a wrestler who wore a blue and white track jacket. Now my eyes have been opened.

#1006 7 years ago

The matching boot does look like a Hogan boot but here's a few guess's in favor of Warrior. And like you said just guesses lol.
Warrior changed up his gear a lot so him having yellow boots on wouldn't be too far fetched.
Having Hogan twice on each side would seem too repetitive in my opinion. You have macho man Hogan and flair already Warrior would be the next natural one.
Looking at the original translite DE and the WWF were fine with using the Warrior on that and he's even shown as one of the 3 major stars being bigger and on top. But all of the real life Warrior issues is what kept him off the final design.
I also feel that they just changed the Warriors head to Hogans head and colored his tights a different color. Those backbox Hogan bodies look way more like Warriors body. Hogan was always a big guy but he wasn't as cut up as the Warrior.
Again fun guesses of what might have been

I have always thought this is a weird and awkward looking pose for hogan. It does look like they said "slap a mustache and bandana on the warrior and let's ship it"
Here's the warrior fathead with a similar pose...complete with pinball machine...just saying

IMG_5468 (resized).PNGIMG_5468 (resized).PNG

#1007 7 years ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

I have always thought this is a weird and awkward looking pose for hogan. It does look like they said "slap a mustache and bandana on the warrior and let's ship it"
Here's the warrior fathead with a similar pose...complete with pinball machine...just saying

Exactly! Also that is the exact picture of him that's on the side of a WWELE. I thought it was kind of a wink wink to Royal Rumble why he was chosen. IMG_9043 (resized).JPGIMG_9043 (resized).JPG

#1008 7 years ago

It all makes sense now....

#1009 7 years ago

Love the cab art on the wrestlemania Le, looks fantastic!!!

#1010 7 years ago

The le version looks like it could be a decent game. I've only played the pro version and wasn't impressed.

#1011 7 years ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

The le version looks like it could be a decent game. I've only played the pro version and wasn't impressed.

Check out the WWE members club thread. The 7 of us LE owners are a tight bunch that love our LE's and will defend them to the end lol.

#1012 7 years ago

Check out the WWE members club thread. The 7 of us LE owners are a tight bunch that love our LE's and will defend them to the end lol.

Does the pro version have many defenders?

#1013 7 years ago

What's the difference between the Pro and LE other than the artwork?

WrestleMania Pro is a steaming pile of dung.

#1014 7 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

What's the difference between the Pro and LE other than the artwork?
WrestleMania Pro is a steaming pile of dung.

I've only played the pro but I think the rules and call outs are better with the LE

#1015 7 years ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

Does the pro version have many defenders?

Yea! He's great!

#1016 7 years ago

This game is amazing, great for multi player action, I torn it down and cleaned it up easily one of the best DE games out there.

DSC03708 (resized).JPGDSC03708 (resized).JPG

DSC03710 (resized).JPGDSC03710 (resized).JPG

#1017 7 years ago

After reading the theory about it originally being Warrior, but they just did a head and gear swap, I totally think you guys are on to something. The body is more beefed up, like warrior, and that pose is totally a warrior pose.

Also, if you look at the Hulk artwork, you ca almost see where they blacked out where the Warrior's arm tassels would have wrapped around the biceps. At first glance, it just looks like a shadow, but if you look at it with the thought it is Warrior, you can see the line is where the tassel would be (see below).

This investigation is fun.....lol

I see that the pics for the prototype came from an interview in a pinball magazine. I wonder if there is a way we can contact the author to see if there are any other pics (they didn't use), or even if we could get contact info for who they interviewed, so we could contact him that we want to put together the alternate artwork ...and we would love to learn more about it. It might also be that we could get the info for the person who has the game, and we can get them to supply pics and measurements.....etc.
I really would love to see the prototype artwork project happen....it's been one I have been thinking about for years now!

IMG_0268 (resized).JPGIMG_0268 (resized).JPG
IMG_0269 (resized).JPGIMG_0269 (resized).JPG
IMG_0270 (resized).JPGIMG_0270 (resized).JPG

IMG_0271 (resized).PNGIMG_0271 (resized).PNG

IMG_0275 (resized).JPGIMG_0275 (resized).JPG

IMG_0275 (resized).JPGIMG_0275 (resized).JPG

IMG_0273 (resized).PNGIMG_0273 (resized).PNG

#1018 7 years ago

Yeah I'm convinced it was originally warrior. It'd be awesome if someone could uncover this top secret wwfrr prototype. It's gotta be sitting somewhere right?

#1019 7 years ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

Yeah I'm convinced it was originally warrior. It'd be awesome if someone could uncover this top secret wwfrr prototype. It's gotta be sitting somewhere right?

Has to be somewhere ....as they got those pics at some point

#1020 7 years ago

Anyone have their royal rumble outfitted with led bulbs? Which ones did u use? I just got some comet leds but I think I need to order some different ones. I've been seeing some ghosting in the inserts.

#1021 7 years ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

Anyone have their royal rumble outfitted with led bulbs? Which ones did u use? I just got some comet leds but I think I need to order some different ones. I've been seeing some ghosting in the inserts.

Its not bad ghosting I used standard leds in the inserts but better off to get non ghosting bulbs. Comet has them. bright white worked very well.

#1022 7 years ago

I just finished shopping mine out for the first time since I got it last year.
Somehow the upper PF diverter coil got all messed up and the diverter is stuck open. The coil is stuck and won't eject out- any idea what that issue that might be? The spring seems to be fine- I did have to take the diverter off when I took the upper PF off so I may have just messed something up there.

Other than that it looks great! I took the outlane posts out to make it play a littler harder. I'm bringing it to PATZ this weekend too.
I'll post some pictures tomorrow

#1023 7 years ago

Anyone know if these are available? It's the diverter above the pop bumpers, not sure if these are used in any other data east games. One of mine is cracked and I'd like to replace it. Thanks

IMG_5511 (resized).JPGIMG_5511 (resized).JPG

#1024 7 years ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

Anyone know if these are available? It's the diverter above the pop bumpers, not sure if these are used in any other data east games. One of mine is cracked and I'd like to replace it. Thanks

I get my WWFRR parts from Terry at Pinball Life. This looks like what you are looking for - http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=531

#1025 7 years ago

Just saw this ..Sad

#1026 6 years ago
Quoted from Newport-Bill:

I get my WWFRR parts from Terry at Pinball Life. This looks like what you are looking for - http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=531

Of course I found them right after I posted. Thanks tho maybe someone else will be looking for them

#1027 6 years ago

I think I have an issue with my video mode. Everyone says it's easy but I can never get the bar to move at all on my machine. I push the flipper buttons like crazy and it doesn't move at all. Am I doing something wrong or is there something that needs to be fixed? Thanks

#1028 6 years ago

Sounds like an issue mine is super easy in fact too easy not like fight mode on LW3.

#1029 6 years ago

Anyone know where to get a plastic set? Or at least the lame plastics?

#1030 6 years ago

What happens in Video mode if you select that on ball launch? I always just focus on pop bumper to get 100K - 1M per pop added to the score.

#1031 6 years ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

I think I have an issue with my video mode. Everyone says it's easy but I can never get the bar to move at all on my machine. I push the flipper buttons like crazy and it doesn't move at all. Am I doing something wrong or is there something that needs to be fixed? Thanks

Try to alternate flipper button pushes rapidly instead of both at the same time. L R L R L R L R

It took me a while to figure that out

#1032 6 years ago

If you are talking about the mode where you wrestle, i've always used left flipper and launcher button and can win everytime.

#1033 6 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

What happens in Video mode if you select that on ball launch? I always just focus on pop bumper to get 100K - 1M per pop added to the score.

You have an advantage during video wrestling mode. Meaning, your bar fills up super fast.

#1034 6 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

You have an advantage during video wrestling mode. Meaning, your bar fills up super fast.

Ah, that makes sense!!! Thank you. I kept looking for cool "hidden" animations on the DMD and never understood the mode!

#1035 6 years ago

Try to alternate flipper button pushes rapidly instead of both at the same time. L R L R L R L R
It took me a while to figure that out

I think you're on to something. I'll try it out next time I get that mode... thanks!

Update.....it worked! I was the issue not the machine

#1036 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Anyone know where to get a plastic set? Or at least the lame plastics?

I haven't seen any plastic set except for the slingshot covers occasionally on eBay

#1037 6 years ago

Thank you that's all I've seen too.

#1038 6 years ago

Anyone have an external powered subwoofer hooked up to their wwfrr? If so how's it sound? Is there much difference?

1 week later
#1039 6 years ago

In case anyone cares....I did a little how-to topic on removing the upper playfield.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwfrr-upper-playfield-removal#post-3749473

#1040 6 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

That is indeed Bill Alfonzo, later of ECW fame.

#1041 6 years ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

Dude, I think you are on to something. That's the one thing I don't like about the cabinet art. The Rumble logo is classic, I love it. But that Hulkster pose looks so generic. That would have totally been the Warrior.

This pin was being made originally right in 92 I think, right around Wrestlemania 8 to Summerslam 92, that was right when Warrior held up Vince for more money, and was gone by survivor series. So that would make sense that they would have swapped it on the backbox.

#1042 6 years ago

Yup I'm with ya. The hulkster looks terrible on the back box. It doesn't help that doink and a ref are featured near the coin door. Why not macho? Michaels? Hart? Taker?! Nope.....doink

#1043 6 years ago

Ha... I like Doink on the front, the ref, not so much. And I'm probably the biggest HBK fan there is. I do wish he was featured a little more in the game.

#1044 6 years ago

About to join the club fellas. A couple of quick questions for everyone.

1. I see a lot of people adding Hasbro figures to the machine. What is the best method to secure them?

2. How hard or how easy is it to remove the 2 center posts in front of the center ramp? The machine I'm picking up has damaged posts.

Been looking to add this game to my collection for almost year, so pretty excited about it!

#1045 6 years ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

Anyone have an external powered subwoofer hooked up to their wwfrr? If so how's it sound? Is there much difference?

It does add some low end and ties in nicely with the shaker.

I just finished shopping out a WWFRR for a friend - came out really nice with natural white LEDs and a LEDOCD board:

RoyalRumble (resized).JPGRoyalRumble (resized).JPG

#1046 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

1. I see a lot of people adding Hasbro figures to the machine. What is the best method to secure them?
2. How hard or how easy is it to remove the 2 center posts in front of the center ramp? The machine I'm picking up has damaged posts.
Been looking to add this game to my collection for almost year, so pretty excited about it!

Museum putty works great, I would recommend against the bigger Hasbro figures, I found the smaller 3" WWE guys at Target, they are perfect, you should still be able to find them on Amazon, they were made a couple of years ago, and have some of the legends, along with Modern guys and Attitude era guys.

#1047 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I shot a quick video a while back of my WWFRR with classic Hasbro figures placed (but not attached) to see how it would look. I actually really like it, but took them out and have never had them mounted properly. The Museum Putty as mentioned is probably best, but I've not tried it yet. I matched them up with areas near where the wrestlers appear on the playfield so it sort of makes sense. Added in Warrior and Piper since they're on the proto backglass too.

As for the center ramp posts, typically the posts go through the playfield and have a t-nut or something below to secure them. Sometimes the top screw fuses to the post, or when you try to unscrew it, it just spins the post in the wood. Not hard to fix, but sometimes hard to remove. I've had posts do this on several Data East games. Can be a bit tedious to fix, but not really hard.

#1048 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

1. I don't understand the fascination with adding things that clutter the playfield.

2. They're very easy. There's a nut underneath the playfield that holds them in place. You'll need a wrench up top to hold the post and a wrench underneath to loosen the nut. I think Marco specialties has replacement posts for $3.

#1049 6 years ago

I purchased a rough (by my standards) WWFRR a few months ago, and haven't had chance to go through it yet. I'm now starting to think that I want to do a custom re-theme. Not change the theme, but maybe sand the playfield down, and do a new custom overlay. I have a spare NOS playfield, so if I don't like it, I can always change back. I'd also like to change the cabinet art/translite while I'm at it. If I follow through with this idea, it may end up being a money pit, but this is a dream theme of mine as I was a kid growing up in the late 80s and early 90s who loved WWF. Still contemplating, any thoughts...

IMG_8720 (resized).JPGIMG_8720 (resized).JPG

#1050 6 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I purchased a rough (by my standards) WWFRR a few months ago, and haven't had chance to go through it yet. I'm now starting to think that I want to do a custom re-theme. Not change the theme, but maybe sand the playfield down, and do a new custom overlay. I have a spare NOS playfield, so if I don't like it, I can always change back. I'd also like to change the cabinet art/translite while I'm at it. If I follow through with this idea, it may end up being a money pit, but this is a dream theme of mine as I was a kid growing up in the late 80s and early 90s who loved WWF. Still contemplating, any thoughts...

I'd be interested in seeing your proposed artwork and to help offset costs, I'm sure if it turns out nice there would be interest from others in buying an alternate translite, decals, or maybe even an alternate playfield too. I've thought about doing my own custom translite in the past, and have been working on custom artwork for my WWF WrestleFest restoration too. Would be fun to see a custom WWFRR!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

There are 1,713 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 35.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwfrr-club/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.