IMG_2684 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2683 (resized).jpeg
Mockup copy (resized).jpg
Arena Flag reference (resized).jpeg
Arena Example (resized).jpg
A8B73FBB-E32F-40A1-B3B3-A88BF1580B53 (resized).jpeg
8C321613-BEAD-4723-9134-CC46E02ECCD7 (resized).jpeg
20230219_002941 (resized).jpg
There are 1,713 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 35.
#601 8 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Rest up. Sorry to hear about your hip.

Thank God for Advil Liquid Gels and Ice! Pain gone for now...Back on task!

#602 8 years ago

Thanks for the continued efforts on this project, I really appreciate it as I am sure that lots of others do as well.

#603 8 years ago

Wasn't sure if I was going to bother you guys with this photo which shows the result of forming with two different thickness of PETG or not. The original ramp is pretty thick. I generally use 1/8" (.125) material to form my ramps. The first one I formed was of this .125 material. The photo below shows three ramps, stacked upside down showing the entrance. The ramp on the bottom is the first one I formed with the .125 material. The one in the middle is the ramp that was donated for me to model from. The ramp on the top was formed with 3/16" (.187) PETG. Given the beating this ramp has taken, I do not think it would be wise to form this with the .125 material, not only due to the leading vertical edges of the entrance get busted, but also because the tabs on the two exits have also suffered failure. The net result of the one on top (.187) is actually a little thicker than the original so I'm going with this one to ensure durability. I've also got some plans to modify the two exits by leaving additional supporting plastic as well as slightly extending the left side of the exit that faces down the playfield.... Note the lack of detail/sharp edges on the top ramp in the photo...this was formed simply as a test out of a piece of plastic that I had already stretched once...I have since formed a perfect one with the thicker plastic.

There is also the issue at the entrance that the factory protectors, while a good thought, simply do not provide the needed protection for the leading edges. I think, for this "beta" test, I am going to fabricate better protectors that will extend to and protect the leading edges.

Now that I have decided on the thickness of plastic I will use I need to quickly set up the machining to finish the ramps. In the next few days I will post a photo of my finished ramp and will ship it off to Tsskinne to test fit in his machine. I will need a little feedback from him on one issue, then I should be able to mass produce these very quickly.

We're almost there!

#604 8 years ago

oops...forgot to attach photo...

IMG_1003.jpgIMG_1003.jpg

#605 8 years ago

I agree with going thicker than the "standard" .125. Thanks for including us on all your efforts and updates!

#607 8 years ago

I'll be sending off the first ramp to Tisskinne by this Friday. He should have the ramp by the 15th to test fit and hopefully post a photo or two. I'm confident with the forming process, so will go ahead and form the few pieces I have and order enough plastic to cover everyone who has expressed interest. Should have pricing by tomorrow.

#608 8 years ago

I'll post a photo of what I send him.

#609 8 years ago

I'll post install pics ASAP

#610 8 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I'll be sending off the first ramp to Tisskinne by this Friday. He should have the ramp by the 15th to test fit and hopefully post a photo or two. I'm confident with the forming process, so will go ahead and form the few pieces I have and order enough plastic to cover everyone who has expressed interest. Should have pricing by tomorrow.

Please add me to the list for a ramp. Thanks.

#611 8 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

Please add me to the list for a ramp. Thanks.

You are already there!

#612 8 years ago

Great! Apologize for the double request. Getting old is ....! THX.

Don't know if you would consider it but the underplayfield subway often cracks and breaks at the bottom of the left extra ball/mode start scoop. Specifically, the flat mounting tab often breaks off the subway from the ball constantly pounding it. I had to fabricate a repair for my game. I can send a picture of the area in question if you would like?

#613 8 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

Great! Apologize for the double request. Getting old is ....! THX.
Don't know if you would consider it but the underplayfield subway often cracks and breaks at the bottom of the left extra ball/mode start scoop. Specifically, the flat mounting tab often breaks off the subway from the ball constantly pounding it. I had to fabricate a repair for my game. I can send a picture of the area in question if you would like?

Sure...Post a photo.

#614 8 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

Those side of cabinet mounted SS flipper boards on DE are really prone to damage by accidentally dropping the playfield onto them and ripping and damaging components off of the fragile boards. It happens alot. Those are S2800B silicone controlled rectifiers. contact Ed at Great plains electronics to see what he has available as a replacement.

He suggested: MCR12MG from his site. thanks again for your help, really appreciated the response..

#615 8 years ago

So...I ordered a couple sheets for my initial order of the .187 PETG yesterday. I'm having second thoughts on this thickness as I found out this morning my supplier has an interim size available at .150 which I think might match the original perfectly. So for the moment I have cancelled my first order and ordered just one sheet of the .150 to test. Hoping my supplier will cut today. I'll test form and cut this one out as well to see how it compares to the original.

Here's a photo of a rough cut .187 that I hand finished today (not done...just for testing)..They are pretty when new!

IMG_1004.jpgIMG_1004.jpg

#616 8 years ago

That ramp looks great. So shiny!

#617 8 years ago

That's so beautiful.

#618 8 years ago

Damn...Just spent 4 hours in traffic but was able to pick up the .150 PETG today. Will form one tonight.

#619 8 years ago

Your a saint.

#620 8 years ago

Formed a nice one tonight. Will finish it tomorrow and post photo.

#621 8 years ago

Sorry if I missed this earlier, but if ramp cracking is a common occurrence wouldn't you want to go with a thicker (.187) ramp vs matching the existing (.150)? What is the solution at the ramp entrance to try to avoid those cracks from occurring in the first place besides going with a thicker plastic? Just trying to understand the thought process, I'm a newb...thanks.

#622 8 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

Sorry if I missed this earlier, but if ramp cracking is a common occurrence wouldn't you want to go with a thicker (.187) ramp vs matching the existing (.150)? What is the solution at the ramp entrance to try to avoid those cracks from occurring in the first place besides going with a thicker plastic? Just trying to understand the thought process, I'm a newb...thanks.

No problem... My thoughts are this... Thicker is not always better as we have seen with the Space Shuttle reproduction. It can create fitting issues. I have not ruled out the .187 yet. As I stated before, I generally make my ramps out of .125 material. The .150 is significantly thicker and I think a good match to the original. The real issue with the damage on this ramp is the design. The factory ramp protectors at the entrance don't even cover the leading edges of the ramps. At the moment, for the test ramp, I am going to make new protectors to test that will extend to the leading edge. There is also a possibility that a post can be added on the left side of the entrance that would secure through one of the holes in the scoop mount.... we have seen a post here on early production models. The other areas of concern are the two exits to the ramp. The one that extends to the right is simply an extension of the bottom of the ramp... I intend the keep this tab as wide as possible. The exit that comes back down the playfield, I will modify quite a bit. I have already extended the left side about 1/4" and I also intend to leave very short sidewalls on this tab which should greatly increase its strength.

I'll post photos later today of the changes in the ramps as soon as I get this one cut out. I also hope to get the entrance protectors I want to try for this one done today as well.

#623 8 years ago

So...Getting all this pieces in order to ship off to Tsskinne hopefully by tomorrow to test fit. Below are photos of a new ramp (Entrance plastic intact!) with shots of the Factory protectors and the protectors I just made. Pretty easy to see why the factory protectors failed. The ones I made are very thick Stainless (cut from a Bally side rail). When I install them I will also back them with silicon for added shock absorption.

Original_left.jpgOriginal_left.jpg
Original_right.jpgOriginal_right.jpg
Modified_left.jpgModified_left.jpg
Modified_right.jpgModified_right.jpg
Comparison.jpgComparison.jpg

#624 8 years ago

Damn those look amazing I can't wait to hear macho man yelling at me again! Thank you!

#625 8 years ago

Why not extend the protectors "forward" and bend them around the ramp sides so that they kind of form a U around the edges of the ramp?

#626 8 years ago

You are amazing

#627 8 years ago
Quoted from mima:

Why not extend the protectors "forward" and bend them around the ramp sides so that they kind of form a U around the edges of the ramp?

I wasn't planning on offering the protectors. I'm just doing what I think solves the problem. The thickness of the material I used would be very difficult to bend around the end of the ramp. I still think there should be a post at the left entrance to the ramp.

Not sure but thought I read somewhere that the protectors that wrapped around the ramps weren't performing well.

#628 8 years ago

I would be very thankful to just be able to get a new ramp. Thank you for all you are doing

#629 8 years ago

OK... The ramp I'm going to send to Tsskinne is basically finished. Just need to mount the protectors and I will also be offering a new clear cover for the ramp as well...even going to send him a transparent red and transparent blue just for fun.

Below are some photos of a modification I did to the down exit of the ramp. At both exits, there is just a "tab" that connects the ramp. In both cases, these areas are prone to failure. While there is not much I can do with the upper exit to the right, I am leaving that tab as wide as possible, simple for more plastic. The down exit I did modify.

The photos show the original ramp that had been repaired at the down exit and the new ramp with the modification. Also a photo pointing out the modifications.

Original_down_exit.jpgOriginal_down_exit.jpg

Modified_down_exit.jpgModified_down_exit.jpg

Modified_down_exit_note.jpgModified_down_exit_note.jpg

#630 8 years ago

Nice to see wwfrr getting the love it deserves.

#631 8 years ago

I took another look at some photos I have of the down exit and I think I will have to take off the left shoulder at the exit. The right one should be good....maybe just a hair shorter.

#632 8 years ago

New ramp lids and down exit modified again...

Ramp_lids.jpgRamp_lids.jpg

Down_exit_2.jpgDown_exit_2.jpg

#633 8 years ago

I love it when a ramp comes together....

All done...Ships out tomorrow..

Beta_ramp.jpgBeta_ramp.jpg

#634 8 years ago

Totally Awesome!

#635 8 years ago

Dayum that looks good. Looking fwd to the test results !

#636 8 years ago

Very happy with the results on this one. Turned out very nice.

#637 8 years ago

The new ramp is on its way to Tsskinne. PO says it should be there Monday but I wouldn't hold my breath. Holiday season!

#638 8 years ago

This is a great day. My baby should be getting some love with a new ramp soon. Thank you again for all your effort

#639 8 years ago

Man, that looks fantastic! I love the enhancements, and the ramp lid is a nice feature too! I've never had a ball fly off back there myself, but I'm sure it can happen depending upon table slope, flipper power, or warped old ramps. What a nice upgrade!

Curious to see how it looks with the colored plastic on there. It might be awesome to use the clear cover, and have the old WWF block logo etched into the surface (and maybe even edge-light it for a glow effect since that back corner can sometimes be really dark.)

#640 8 years ago

Actually the ramp lid is on the original ramp too. Mine has it.

#641 8 years ago
Quoted from TheKreator:

Man, that looks fantastic! I love the enhancements, and the ramp lid is a nice feature too! I've never had a ball fly off back there myself, but I'm sure it can happen depending upon table slope, flipper power, or warped old ramps. What a nice upgrade!
Curious to see how it looks with the colored plastic on there. It might be awesome to use the clear cover, and have the old WWF block logo etched into the surface (and maybe even edge-light it for a glow effect since that back corner can sometimes be really dark.)

That would be cool. I am not set up to do any laser work and would probably stay away from it due to licensing respect. I had planned on making the clear cover out of polycarbonate (Lexan) simply for durability. Not sure how well Lexan takes to laser, but could just as easily provide one out of clear acrylic.. The transparent red and blue are acrylic.

I'm curious to see the colors just for fun to see how they pick up the light...especially LED's.

#643 8 years ago

Anyone know where I can get a new lockbar receiver for WWF? Or do you know what part number it's listed as? I have found plenty of lockbars but not the receiver assembly.

Thanks

#644 8 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Anyone know where I can get a new lockbar receiver for WWF? Or do you know what part number it's listed as? I have found plenty of lockbars but not the receiver assembly.
Thanks

Are you sure a standard DE lockdown bar receiver would not work? When I had a JP, both lock down receivers looked and measured the same I think, but I could be wrong.

#645 8 years ago

Please put me down for one of these ramps. It looks fantastic!

#646 8 years ago

Congrats to all WWFRR owners! More importantly thank you to Mark, FreePlay40! Can't possibly say thank you enough. Although this is just pinball and hopefully we all have more important things going on in our lives, this game is very important to me for a variety of reasons. Mark took his time, energy, and skill set to insure our games will have much longer lives! Best news for all of us he hit a home run. Ramp fits damn near perfectly, and looks freaking amazing.

image.jpegimage.jpeg
image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg
image_2.jpegimage_2.jpeg
image_3.jpegimage_3.jpeg
image_4.jpegimage_4.jpeg
image_5.jpegimage_5.jpeg
image_6.jpegimage_6.jpeg
image_7.jpegimage_7.jpeg

#647 8 years ago

Mark's improvements to the exits of the ramp for increased strength are genius and effective. The center exit now has extra walls. It fits snugly and seems much stronger than original. The far right exit that loops around back of the upper play field is nice as well. Mark did not drill holes in that exit because we wanted to place it on mine and get the holes perfect. What I realized is I think those screws actually put more tension on that exit and made it more rigid increasingly likely hood of cracks and breakage. As a result I decided to not place screw holes on that exit tab. I've played about 5 test games before I came to write and post pictures here. The ramp flows beautifully, looks amazing, and again saves our games. Mark, thank you so much. -Tommy

#649 8 years ago

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg

image_2.jpegimage_2.jpeg

image_3.jpegimage_3.jpeg

image_4.jpegimage_4.jpeg

image_5.jpegimage_5.jpeg

image_6.jpegimage_6.jpeg

image_7.jpegimage_7.jpeg

#650 8 years ago

Thanks so much for your help on this one. I love seeing photos of my ramps installed!!

Mark

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

There are 1,713 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 35.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwfrr-club/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.