Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by shimoda
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Solution Edit: Pinsider shimoda was able to fix the board and his process on the fix is below.

Older Edit: I've narrowed it down to the CPU board, please see post 16, any help is appreciated.

Hey everyone. I just purchased a WWF Royal Rumble that is acting weird. When I turn it on, it makes the sounds like everything is normal, but then the DMD goes blank. If I open the coin door, it seems to work, then goes blank again. The sounds will play in the background like normal. If I put in some quarters, it will allow me to play a game, but say during the end game "match" sequence, the screen will go blank again. Also, if I hit the adjustments button, it will say adjustments menu, but not let me do anything beyond that.

Here's a video of me turning it on and opening the coin door.

Thanks for any help!

#2 7 years ago

Let me know if more videos would be helpful.

#3 7 years ago

Bump, any thoughts?

#4 7 years ago

I would suggest making sure the 5 volts to the display is good, during all conditions.

#5 7 years ago

all ways start with power. look for burnt plugs. check for cold solder joints

#6 7 years ago

Thanks for the comments, I'll look into the voltage and connections. I am curious though why I have to open the door to get it to do anything further?

1 week later
#7 7 years ago

Mine had similar issues that got worse when it heated up. I replaced the display ROM (and CPU because they came in a set) and all is perfect now. My guess (and this just a guess), the ROM may be corrupt for certain display sequences and not others...

#8 7 years ago

Remove and reseat all ribbon cables.

#9 7 years ago

I've tried removing and re-seating cables. No dice. I haven't had a chance to test the voltages (which I'll be doing next). rich_r31, as shown in the video, mine does it from the get-go, did yours do the same thing where it just sits there until the door is opened, or...?

#10 7 years ago

I've replaced the cpu and display roms, checked all fuses, and it still acts the same. The 3 cpu self test leds appear to be showing normal (pia blinks on when turning the game on, then turns off, then 5v and blank stay on). Not really sure where to look now.

1 week later
#11 7 years ago

hmm... I sold my WWF so I am not sure how many switches are on the door. Did you test the door switches is the switch test? Are they plugged in to the correct places? Strange...

As for what mine did, it booted up fine but certain sequences would not display and it would go blank. After it warmed up, all display sequences were blank. In order to figure out the problem, I took a can compressed air and turned it upside down to freeze the ROM and it would start working again.

#12 7 years ago

Interesting you say that. So here's the weird thing. I can press the switch inside the cabinet (not on the door, like say my Baywatch) to get to the "Audits & Adjustments" menu, but it wont allow me to go beyond that. Pressing the black button (the green one is a lock-button, i.e. you press it and it stays down like a clicking ball point pen, press again, it comes back up) from there doesn't go further into the menu, it recognizes the button press, makes a sound, and just keeps flashing "Audits & Adjustments" on the dmd. For further reference, I have now replaced the roms (cpu & dmd) with the most up-to-date.

Any thoughts?

#13 7 years ago

Also, I have checked the voltage to the dmd, I get a solid 4.88 with nothing showing on the screen.

#14 7 years ago

After watching a video of the machine, and messing around a bit, I've realized, the only scenes that are showing on the dmd is the score. I'm not getting any other graphics, such as the wrestler skillshot option at the beginning. Instead, it just shows the player score, and does that for the entire game, until the ball drains, then the screen goes blank.

(Note as mentioned earlier, the only way to start a game is to open the coin door, then shut it. Otherwise the game just sits there doing nothing, no sound or anything. If I open the coin door, then shut it, it will let me play).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#15 7 years ago

Also realized that after I turn it on, the GI lights will all light up, then it will make the door open "buzz" sound (with the door closed), and then the rear GI lights will turn off and stay off (slingshot lights will stay on) until you open the coin door.

Please, any ideas on where to look?

#16 7 years ago

Ok... I've narrowed it down to the CPU Board. I have a Baywatch, and it uses the same CPU board as the WWF Royal Rumble. I took the CPU board out of the WWF Royal Rumble, and placed it into the Baywatch (swapping the Baywatch ROM as well). It did the same thing. Step by step of the issue is below per placing the CPU board into the Baywatch.

Turn on machine
Display reads DMD ROM version and plays the intro statement audio (this is the last thing shown on the DMD)
GI light relay clicks
All GI lights are turned off (DMD still not displaying anything)
Open coin door
GI lights come back on, attract music begins playing (DMD still not displaying anything)

For further reference, I've tried switching the 6802 & 6264 chips with the Baywatch, both were working.

Any ideas on what else to look for on the CPU board that is causing this?

#17 7 years ago

Bump, any help?

#18 7 years ago

I have very little experience with DE games, but I do know that they're similar to WMS games of the same vintage. If I'm not mistaken, the coin door switch is a memory protect type switch (and possibly a high voltage lockout switch, not sure though). It's possible that your game is having address issues with the memory. Perhaps replace the RAM on the CPU?

#19 7 years ago

There is a pretty good data east repair guide online. Other than that i would pull the board and check all the transistors/pre drivers with a dmm. And check the fuses with a dmm.

Aside from that i would pack it up and send it out. You've already isolated the problem which is half the battle.

#20 7 years ago

Did you replace the batteries allready ?

Bad batteries can couse strange behavior on a data east !!

2 weeks later
#21 7 years ago

Update: RAM had no effect. Burned LEONs test rom to a chip and using it and a logic probe, determined that the PIA at 9B was not working correctly. Figured this was likely the issue after seeing command messages that suggested the DMD controller wasn't getting the correct messages. Decided to try the test rom and probed the PIA with a logic probe. Three of the pins weren't behaving properly. Pulled the resistor network first incase it was causing some weird problem. Pulled PIA and tested it using the NeoLoch Inquisitor system - PIA bad. Replaced the PIA in a socket (for future issues if they pop up). All working now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwf-rr-acting-weird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.