You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WWF_Ball_View_4.jpg
wwf_6.jpg
WWF3.jpg

#1 11 years ago

Ok, have my WWFRR going pretty well, but have a few gameplay questions that may require adjusting my machine.

1) The diverter at the very back of the play field, when is that to actually divert the ball? I almost never see the ball go all the way around the back of the playfield (ie, looping behind the mini play field), so I was wondering if perhaps my diverter is misbehaving. Anyone have ideas on how to correct this if it is an issue?

2) I've heard that you can play a tag team mode, wherein players 1&3 play together for one score, and 2&4 combine for the other. How do you activate this mode?

Thanks in advance - this is a VERY underrated game!

#2 11 years ago

1. yes, but its rarely used.

2. I've heard that too but never did any research on how or if its even true.

#3 11 years ago

1) yes. Mostly used to get the ball to the mini playfield at the beginning of multiball

2) to my knowledge, the feature was never actually put into the software

#4 11 years ago

Here's my question with the diverter: it is ALWAYS sending it down to the middle ramp. It almost never allows the ball to go all the way around the back of the play field. It's seemingly always "on". It definitely works, it's just weird that it so rarely allows the ball to make the big loop through the back of the playfield.

As for the tag mode, isn't Lyman on here from time to time? I know he did programming on it, maybe he could offer an answer?

#5 11 years ago

1) mine was doing the first one also and it was the second switch on the banzai ramp that was out of adjustment not registering the ball to open the diverter once i adjusted mine it worked correctly and always goes through diverter until enter the ring is lit then it sends it down the other ramp

#6 11 years ago

1) for me, it seems that the diverter allows the ball to full orbit on Yokozuna, then diverts to middle wire frame for Doink onward, until it's time to "get in the ring", in which case it diverts into the ring.

2) as far as I know, it didn't make it into final code

3) this game IS the most underrated pin ever!!!!!!

#7 11 years ago

the bar on that switch is really flimsy and bends quite often

#8 11 years ago

3) definetly agree

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

1) for me, it seems that the diverter allows the ball to full orbit on Yokozuna, then diverts to middle wire frame for Doink onward, until it's time to "get in the ring", in which case it diverts into the ring.
2) as far as I know, it didn't make it into final code
3) this game IS the most underrated pin ever!!!!!!

1) So are we all in agreement that it SHOULD allow it to do the full loop when it scores Yokozuna? If so, it does not do that on mine; it appears to have it in divert mode. It DOES switch that open and close from time to time, just not seeing the logic on mine that causes that switch to open...

2) That seems to be the concensus too. Too bad. Would have been fun!

3) Agreed. This machine seems to have a LOT of depth. Has anyone 'won' the multiball mode? Eliminate all 9 guys? The best I have done was 3, and I considered that a rousing success! And I've not even come close to getting all the modes lit in one game...

#10 11 years ago

check your pitch on the game. if your pitch i to low the ball travels to fast up the ramp for the gate to open. the ball then hits the little gate and diverts down the wire form. that's what mine used to do until i raised the back up a bit.

#11 11 years ago

here is some video of it in action.

#12 11 years ago

Like all my machines, I have it as steep as possible. So I don't believe that is the issue.

Wondering if it could possibly be a ROM issue? I am running 1.01, saw there is a 1.06 version. Does anyone know what the changes were on these versions?

#13 11 years ago

You may just need to check switch and possibly diode to make sure they are good first

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

2) I've heard that you can play a tag team mode, wherein players 1&3 play together for one score, and 2&4 combine for the other. How do you activate this mode?

I believe that they wanted to do this back then, but never got around to adding it until years later. A few Sega titles do this, I know for a fact that Viper Night Drivin does. It's kind of nifty.

#15 11 years ago

Is there a software upgrade for this?

I love this pin!!!

WWF3.jpgWWF3.jpg wwf_6.jpgwwf_6.jpg WWF_Ball_View_4.jpgWWF_Ball_View_4.jpg

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from jimster102:

You may just need to check switch and possibly diode to make sure they are good first

Ok, silly question. As a primarily B/W guy (though I have had a few Sterns), how does the Diagnostics work? I can get into the menu, but it's pretty confusing as to how to check individual coils and switches. Can you help this dope with a short primer on that?

#17 11 years ago

1. Ball should ALWAYS loop behind the mini playfield in normal non mode play, and Yokozuna play. The diverter is only active when the ball needs to be routed down center ramp, as in starting multiball mode, collect jackpot and a couple other modes like belt rounds and such. I had to adjust my diverter when I first got my WWF because even in a non active mode, enough of it would barely stick out and knock the ball down the ramp and not allow it to loop correctly. Another fun issue is that if you adjust the diverter too much to allow for correct looping you can actually cause another issue. Fast ramp shots will actually run the ball past the diverter before it has time to correctly divert the ball down. It's a touchy diverter but once you get it right it makes the game play much better.

2. Tag Team, I don't remember much since it wasn't often a 4 player game was available but I think it's just an automatic feature that really can't be turned off or on. It's just there, the scores are still seperate, but if I remember correctly it also simply displays a combined score along with individuals but nothing special changes about the gameplay at all. I no longer have my WWF so someone would have to check that one to be sure.

3. Highly underated? Ding! Ding! Ding! Most definetly. I've said that I would probably not buy a machine back that I've already owned but this one I would. Regreted selling this one alot. I'm an 80's fan of wrestling so that helps. Even with that, the gameplay is really alot of fun. Ohhhhh YEAHHH!

#18 11 years ago

That WWF looks nice with the mirror blades JDub! Thanks for the motivation for getting mine up and working again.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Supadave:

1. Ball should ALWAYS loop behind the mini playfield in normal non mode play, and Yokozuna play. The diverter is only active when the ball needs to be routed down center ramp, as in starting multiball mode, collect jackpot and a couple other modes like belt rounds and such. I had to adjust my diverter when I first got my WWF because even in a non active mode, enough of it would barely stick out and knock the ball down the ramp and not allow it to loop correctly. Another fun issue is that if you adjust the diverter too much to allow for correct looping you can actually cause another issue. Fast ramp shots will actually run the ball past the diverter before it has time to correctly divert the ball down. It's a touchy diverter but once you get it right it makes the game play much better.
2. Tag Team, I don't remember much since it wasn't often a 4 player game was available but I think it's just an automatic feature that really can't be turned off or on. It's just there, the scores are still seperate, but if I remember correctly it also simply displays a combined score along with individuals but nothing special changes about the gameplay at all. I no longer have my WWF so someone would have to check that one to be sure.
3. Highly underated? Ding! Ding! Ding! Most definetly. I've said that I would probably not buy a machine back that I've already owned but this one I would. Regreted selling this one alot. I'm an 80's fan of wrestling so that helps. Even with that, the gameplay is really alot of fun. Ohhhhh YEAHHH!

Gotcha. I will look into that diverter tonight. So when the machine comes on, sounds like it should be BACK into the back of the machine; i.e., not diverting. Pretty sure mine is almost always on, maybe always always on. Now I just need to figure out DE's wacky service menus.

#20 11 years ago

Nice multicade Jdub

Oh nice WWF too broseph

#21 11 years ago

I just started a game on mine collected ball and kept sending up ramp by hand and kept adjusting second switch on bonzai ramp until it worked correctly..I did not bother with switch test sometimes the ball does not hit switch like you pushing it with your finger

#22 11 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the help.

I found that the issue is that the coil (magnet) is not always grabbing the diverter. It seems it is either not powerful enough or it just needs some more adjustment. I tweaked it a bit, and it grabs it most of the time now. Is it possible that magnet coil is just weak? I've never seen that be an issue on my other games with magnets (WCS, CV), so I am guessing that wouldn't be the case, but figured it was worth asking.

Would also love to replace that spring back there, and maybe even the diverter bracket itself, but it doesn't seem anyone stocks them...

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Thanks to everyone for the help.
I found that the issue is that the coil (magnet) is not always grabbing the diverter. It seems it is either not powerful enough or it just needs some more adjustment. I tweaked it a bit, and it grabs it most of the time now. Is it possible that magnet coil is just weak? I've never seen that be an issue on my other games with magnets (WCS, CV), so I am guessing that wouldn't be the case, but figured it was worth asking.
Would also love to replace that spring back there, and maybe even the diverter bracket itself, but it doesn't seem anyone stocks them...

Rebuild the coil with a new sleeve at the very least. They get dirty and with buildup it can cause drag. I had a Star Trek Next Gen that had a similar problem and it turned out to be a dirty coil sleeve causing resistance and the magnet just couldn't win the battle every time.

#24 11 years ago

That little magnetic coil has a sleeve? It doesn't pop out, it just seems to fire a magnet. Is it supposed to pop out as well?

This is the coil I am referring to:

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BAA&Product_Code=DX-S090-5031-0B

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

That little magnetic coil has a sleeve? It doesn't pop out, it just seems to fire a magnet. Is it supposed to pop out as well?
This is the coil I am referring to:
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BAA&Product_Code=DX-S090-5031-0B

Ahh yeah, my bad. I was thinking of something else. Now that I remember, the STNG issue was that the metal plate that the magnet would pull towards itself was distanced out just a bit too far and I had to bend it a little closer so the magnet would pull it 100% instead of just every so often. That may or may not be the case on WWF as I can't remember for sure how it's setup.

#26 11 years ago

Yeah, think it is going to require a bit of bending. I did that a little last night, and had it running a good 75% of the time, so just a bit more tweaking and it will be good.

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

9 months later
#27 10 years ago

Shit didn't even know it was supposed to make that loop apparently mine is not working as well....also my ball eject on the upper playfield is very hard to get the ball into does that seem right or does anyone else have that problem too?

#28 10 years ago

Mine always makes the loop around the bonsai ramp to the right flipper.

#29 10 years ago

Fixed it last night, diverted was getting caught on part of ramp when it tried to move, still hard to hit with enough power to get it going fast enough though.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Fixed it last night, diverted was getting caught on part of ramp when it tried to move, still hard to hit with enough power to get it going fast enough though.

Have you replaced your coil sleeves on the flippers? I was having trouble hitting the left ramp until I cleaned up the flippers and found one still had a brass coil sleeve that was damaged on the end.

#31 10 years ago

Nope. I'll have to check those out as well. Thanks.

#32 10 years ago

Yep supadave hit the nail on the head as well as RD. It is a tricky tough to deal with son of a gun divertor. If you bend it its may or may not work, if you hit the switch before it it will activate the divertor but it seems like it doesn't have enough time to activate the divertor if the ball is going to fast. Never fully got mine going 100% due to this issue. I even remembered putting some tape on the divertor switch area for some reason to try to change activation time!

#33 10 years ago

Think I got it, had my legs all the way up. Lowered them about 1/4 inch and was able to make the shot 5 times in a row or so so feel better about it, I'm sure it's not perfect, I checked coils they were correct, but a flipper rebuild is probably due by now anyway so add it to the projects list.

1 year later
#34 9 years ago

New owner to WWF Royal rumble - my first pinball machine! Everything seems to work well except the shot to get in the ring on the left ramp 99% of the time doesn't go into the ring...any suggestions of how to troubleshoot? Thanks in advance!

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Dacoops3:

New owner to WWF Royal Rumble - my first pinball machine! Everything seems to work well except the shot to get in the ring on the left ramp 99% of the time doesn't go into the ring...any suggestions of how to troubleshoot? Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you have a flaky switch (it's at the top of the left ramp). That switch tells the gate to open. First follow the wire from the switch to under the playfield. I believe those wires connect to a Z-connector. Make sure the connection is tight.

Next, go into switch test mode in the diagnostics menu and manually test the switch. It could be that the switch needs a little bending/adjustment to be activated correctly.

Do any bending or tightening of screws with the power OFF.

If all of that tests perfectly, go into the diagnostics menu and run coil test to make sure the coil is activating the gate (you need to reach inside the coin door and pull the little white door switch in a locked out position when you run this test...otherwise the high power is cut to the playfield when the coin door is open).

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

Mine always makes the loop around the bonsai ramp to the right flipper.

There are no small trees in WWFRR!

4 years later
#37 4 years ago

I realized my rear diverter was also not working. Bent the bracket slightly so the lever is closer to the magnet and seems to be working!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing
Hardware
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwf-royal-rumble-wwfrr-gameplay-questions?hl=benmielke and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.