Topic poll

“First machine for a friend with a low-ish budget”

• WWF 16 votes
    42%
  • Goldeneye 22 votes
    58%

(38 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 11 years ago

A buddy is buying his first machine and we've basically narrowed it down to these two based on theme/budget.

He loves STTNG and can play mine whenever he wants, but wants a machine that plays different.

I know these are both B titles at best, but they both look neat to me for different reasons. Thoughts?

#2 11 years ago

I would say Goldeneye.

#3 11 years ago

I've never played Goldeneye. Though it seems it's got more toys than WWF. WWF really is a great player. Not a TON of shots, but the rules require variation of your shots. It gets a BIG thumbs up from me. Good luck to you and your friend.

#4 11 years ago

Poll added. Thanks for the comments, guys!

#5 11 years ago

have you looked at the videos for both. wwf looks like more fun to me. good luck with the buy.

#6 11 years ago

The best of the worst showdown. wwf is more chessy and gameplay is better imo.

Lateral theme would be rollergames. 100x better. I'd go that route.

#7 11 years ago

Rollergames theme wouldn't make the cut for him.

Seems like Goldeneye has more toys and better shots, but wwf may be deeper.

Hopefully they're at PPE. I've never played either of them.

#8 11 years ago

I have a Goldeneye and it is ABSOLUTELY one of the best pins in my collection. The satellite dish is unique and awesome. Did you know a ramp comes up from the middle of the PF and you have to launch the ball up it to get to the satellite? It's a tough shot at first, but lots, and lots of fun! There is a magnet in the dish which grabs the ball and multiball begins.

There is enough variety on that pin to keep most anyone happy. There is even a magna-save, where the ball draining down the middle gets captured by the magnet and throws it back up the PF.

One last thing. This pin is actually beatable! I have an LOTR LE and I'm sure I will never live to see the day when I complete all the modes and reach the Final Wizard Mode. Same with my TSPP. Probably impossible . . . at least for me. I have beat my Goldeneye 3 times in two years. At least you know you have a chance to see what all the pin can do. I can't imagine not liking it or getting bored with it.

If you get it and have any problems, give me a holler. That's ONE pin I know a lot of things about.
Mike in Kentucky

#9 11 years ago

Goldeneye hands down.

#10 11 years ago

I owned both, can't go wrong with either. I still own Goldeneye. IMO, much better pin.

#11 11 years ago

I haven't played Golden Eye yet but own WWF and it's a hoot.

Great for newbs but enough challenges for the seasoned pinball athlete. It helps a lot if WWF holds some nostalgic value as well. Just good fun.

#12 11 years ago

Excuse me for being dumb, but I can't figure out what a WWF is!!! I didn't see any pins with those initials in the Top 200 on Pinside and couldn't find anything on IPDB. Anyone want to tell me the title of this pin? If this is SO f'ing obvious yet I can't "see it", I'm gonna kill myself from embarrassment!

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

Excuse me for being dumb, but I can't figure out what a WWF is!!!

http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/royal-rumble-wwf

#14 11 years ago

I'm starting to lean toward goldeneye myself. Now we just need to find one for sale!

#15 11 years ago

Thanks kwiKimart! I would never have guessed the real name of that title; somewhere in the back of my head I knew it had something to do with fighting.
Mike

#16 11 years ago

GoldenEye my opinion also. It's a really neat machine, has alot of stay power. Paul Farris artwork and designed by the same guy that made great machines like fathom....tons of shots, and the coolest ball save in pinball history

#17 11 years ago

GE for sure..total keeper this time...i had to find another to replace the first..

My first GE went to PAPA in PIttsburgh, i'm sure some of you played it in the tournement for A division..

Note ...(A division) ...

its a great game and a ton of fun....

As to pintukey's post it IS beatable on default, if your a good player and lucky...but almost unbeatable on PAPA settings...Q's pen is a bitch !, and you HAVE to complete that to get to wizard.. NO timing out or failure accepted by GE ...

tons of staying power, and cool as hell all the way around.... If your a James Bond fan you will LOVE the machine even more...

Good luck in the search, as they are kinda hard to come by.... enjoy..

#18 11 years ago

Both are solid games, but very different feel. GE is more of a modern-type pin, probably the closest "similar" game I can think of would be 24. Lots of fun and a bit more flow than RR. WWFRR is a ton of fun too. It's a DE widebody and plays just like you'd expect one to. A couple of tough scoops to start modes, really cool feature where you select the next mode by hitting one of the 3 main shots (left/center ramp, right loop). 9 modes, tough mini-pf, good use of diverters, 2 multiballs (with a neat "rumble" feature where the game sends in another ball every 30 seconds or so, but timer does NOT run if you're trapping a ball).

So, pick one and enjoy!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwf-or-goldeneye and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.