IMG_6225 (resized).jpg
IMG_6205 (resized).jpg
IMG_6204 (resized).jpg
IMG_6203 (resized).jpg
IMG_4527 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4528 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #149 Deep Dive on features and all that is wonka Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Post #150 SDTM video on Wonka - interview with Pat Lawlor and Joe Katz Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #160 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #188 Rules Flowchart Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #248 Features Matrix - CE, LE, SE Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #554 Early Stream of a home owner who received their game Posted by Habermania (4 years ago)

Post #785 Gobstopper subway VUK not ejecting ball fix Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #793 Gobstopper subway VUK fix pics for reference Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #1130 Latest code changelog Posted by LTG (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wesman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 4 years ago

I'm definitely in, just a few months down the road, as I just got POTC last week. My friend and I got tickets last night, and the 8.5 hour drive will be sooooooo much faster the way there then back home, haha!

2 months later
#527 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Looks like machines are being received. Everyone sort of starting their own threads though vs posting in club forum. New code it sounds like too. I’d post pics but I don’t have one.

I only started a new thread to post new photos. I figured people might want to see new, final shots of the playfield, possible design changes, etc.

(And honestly, I feel like this game needs some bluster to pump wind into it's sails. It's clearly faded off in the past month, hence a new thread maybe popping it back into the forefront.)

#571 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I am. I am tired of waiting.

Ooh, nice!!! Yeah, I agree. Better to buy now than wait. I think you'll dig the SE. Looking forward to your streams!

#580 4 years ago
Quoted from SaintJB:

My first NIB purchase, and I couldn't be happier! Only one issue I've had so far. Out of the box, I had to increase the power of the first of the two solenoids that return the locked ball to the shooter lane. Everything else has been pitch perfect.

The left, forget if it's green or yellow, needs boosting.

#585 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I’m impatient and dumb with money
Actually it’s really not that dumb. I am confident I can get a reasonable return when I upgrade. I’m adding a shaker to it also.

Maybe you'll end up just keeping it....?

Either way, I hope you and your wife dig it! I look forward to your thoughts, and want to see detailed unboxing photos, or whatever you'd like to share! (Lives vicariously through other pinball masters!)

#615 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

My Wonka lands today!
I'll be streaming the Escalera-ing and unboxing, then will go offline to play a while, then will set up a stream on the game itself.
Follow twitch.tv/nspinball for updates.

Any news on your delivery? Looking forward to your stream!

#619 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'm pacing back and forth and looking out the front window a lot!

Yeah, that's a good/bad kind of excitement for sure! I freak out watching the liftgate go down....

#629 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

A quick update:
The stream was a disaster. I was using new hardware and didn’t have any sound, which I didn’t realize. There was a slip on the Escalera near the top stair, at which point my cameraman junked the camera and ran to assist. This led to an alarming video which my mother freaked out about
I am alive, the pin made it up perfectly, and it unboxed/setup perfectly. Absolutely zero problems with the pin!
I’ve been cleaning up cardboard and such while my helpers play. I will set up a propert stream later tonight with gameplay, for the moment I am just recovering and letting my buddies explore![quoted image][quoted image]

Holy moly, what a day! Glad everyone is alright.

#643 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Magnetic - just pull forward on the monitor

Hmm. No more latches?

"Latches? We don't need no stinkin'...latches!!" - Gringo Lawlor

#654 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I’m a RRWOZ owner. One of the best pins ever. Can’t let it go. Congo will go before WOZ if I need the funds to purchase a Wonka LE!

I own neither, but wouldn't want to trade out a Woz for a Wonka. I still want to buy a Woz, Wonka not much at all.

#688 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

He’s looking for the spelling errors that were on the prototypes and made a huge deal of it even after everyone including Keith told him it happens in prototypes and would be fixed in production. He even pointed it out again 2 months later how it was still misspelled on the same prototypes from 2 months earlier as if JJP was going to fix the prototypes.
Hopefully this is the end of it.

Hmmmmmm. Well, I guess either way, what matters most is.....it's fixed!

I kinda hope to play this more this weekend. Though I'm not sure my view will flip as much as I'd like.

Though I felt the same about Pirates....

#692 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Hmmmmmm. Well, I guess either way, what matters most is.....it's fixed!
I kinda hope to play this more this weekend. Though I'm not sure my view will flip as much as I'd like.
Though I felt the same about Pirates....

Weird I got a downvote for liking the cab being corrected, and looking forward to playing it again?

Huh????

#709 4 years ago

What's up with all the flagging on reviews?!?!?!

You seemed fair and conscientious in how you viewed things. Solid writeup!

#714 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Probably because his review was originally based upon what he saw on a stream and not actually seeing and playing it in person.

Quoted from spandol:

This. Playing the game is a whole different thing. Exactly what happened to me with Oktoberfest. Didn’t think much of the stream but was pleasantly surprised when i played it. So, reviewing on streams skews the actual reviews of the game.

That's what I figured, or JJP hate, or both.

Seems like he finally played it.....? I think.

#824 4 years ago

I had some play again last night with my friend, and man...I feel frustrated by this game.

It feels like the pop bumpers are very reject friendly. Like 50% of the time they drain down the middle after a full plunge into the playfield. Then with the ball save engaged, the same chance seems to exist. I felt like I was able to play a ball with a full plunge, a very minimal amount of time.

When I did get the ball in play, I felt many shots would donk posts, and fire the ball back down the middle again.

I am not a good player, but at $1 per game, I felt more punished than rewarded, and am not really interested in playing again until a future freeplay event might occur.

I definitely want to watch the stream tonight, but this game's geometry feels a bit more unfriendly than the other JJP games I've played/own.

#826 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

The big takeaway on Wonka is never full plunge and never let the auto plunge perform a full plunge for you. Always short plunge to the upper right flipper.

I guess that's part of the design of this being a faster play location game by Lawlor. Definitely feels unfriendly.

Thanks for reminding me though, I'll definitely remember for next play!

#857 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I had this issue and bumped the Gobstopper Lock Coil to 20. Didn't fix it. Bumped VUK to 20 and that seemed to work. I guess I'll dial GLC back to 18 and see if that works. You're right, every one is different.

This trough issue seems fairly prominent. It seems like the pressure to shoot the vuk needs to be much stronger to get over that lip/corner in the trough.

#890 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Those chipping threads are out of control hysteria.

Seems like most people have damage to some degree. Or are experiencing ripples, or indentations, which will become visible damage at some point.

My playfield, and myself, aren't exactly contented about the damage it's incurred, with no viable solution presented thus far.

I am not happy.

#917 4 years ago
Quoted from PBMAN:

Probably already been posted but looks like JJP fixed the leaning screen issue. Looks like a better frame holder along with bottom pieces as well.[quoted image][quoted image]

Is that a bracket underneath to prop it up?

Looks a lot better! My POTC still has sag. I'm glad they've made two improvements here.

#1015 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The standard is a great machine in its own right! It's completely not "settling" to get one.

I kinda feel like the only "exclusive" is the Wonkavator, versus Pirates had many features that were unobtainable for the smaller upgrade fee. 2K is about 28-29% of buying another JJP game at the same price model.

#1017 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

How about Wonka SE and a Stern Pro for the price of a CE. Haaa.

Yeah... If I had the cash, sure CE's are neato. But two games rather than one? Outside of space constraints, there's no downside.

#1021 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

so got my new ball trough today. Both because of my trough gap and because of an opto (have to send old one back)... UPS apparently hates pinball because they kicked the crap out of the box.
[quoted image]
Fortunately whoever packed it used some good bubble wrap, everything looks intact. Before installing it wanted to take a measurement so I put a battery along the top so I had a surface to measure. It looks like I'm at 26.3mm which means I probably won't have the stuck ball issue anymore either. If I had to guess, the part was probably modeled at 26.5mm nominal with a plus or minus .5mm. This likely means some people will have zero issues, some will have issues only sometimes (if ball wedges itself), and a select few may have a gap big enough so the balls may drain right into the cabinet. I still don't get why this was increased 2.5mm from the original williams trough design? Make it your own fine, but make sure your tolerance stackup works.
[quoted image]

Oooh, glad this got sorted out, and I appreciated how you took and shared measurements. I'd never have fathomed this issue could be so minuscule in how it's affected.

I work for USPS, and to get packages shipped en masse, these things are often dumped in containers, on belts, and I'm surprised any boxes arrive perfect. It's a rough system, but parcels get sent and received at fairly small cost, and quite quickly.

#1043 4 years ago

Gorge!

download (3) (resized).jpegdownload (3) (resized).jpeg
#1047 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The left outlane has two screw holes (one capped with a plastic bump.) You can put a post in that hole if you want, or move the bump and put it in the other hole, or neither.[quoted image]

I'd heard the post is difficult to get by, if installed.

Is that accurate? Anyone?

(Pretty sure I recall you saying you weren't installing yours.)

#1110 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Serial number info, for those of you who care:
First 3 digits: 087 - these are the same on all JJP machines, and don't mean anything (it's the first 3 digits of their zip code LOL)
Next digit: Indicates the game. Not 100% sure, but I believe it's 0=WOZ, 1=TH, 2=DI, 3=POTC, and 4=WONKA
Next digit: Indicates the version 1=LE, 2=SE, 3=CE
Next 3 digits: random numbers.
Apparently the Playfield number is where the manufacturing info (date, position, # off the line, etc) is stored.
Just thought you guys would like to know.

Is there a blue stamp under the playfield? That should give you info as to number in the line produced.

#1126 4 years ago

Or just leave it there! Pinball table>couch/automon/dinner table any day of the week!

#1185 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

surprising yanks on the ball

OUCH!

#1207 4 years ago
Quoted from Weedlum:

Those pics are stunning. Looks like they added a clear plastic protector on the right wire form to keep the ball from flying out. I've seen that happen a few times on zaphx stream. Glad to see they've already added a fix.

Was that the one decapitating the poor Oompa Loompah?

Is the one on the left new also?

Nice to see those improvements!

Screenshot_20190724-145452_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190724-145452_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190724-145558_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190724-145558_Chrome (resized).jpg
#1214 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Based on all the Stern boys, JP is going to be the best pinball ever. Do you think i should cancel my Wonka LE and get JP?

Have you played Wonka?

#1218 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

What’s with everyone posting my emails lately?

Stop posting Steve's messages. Maybe just describe info, not copy/paste.

Quoted from Skyemont:

Yes! Great game.

Cool man! You're getting an LE soon, yes?

I'd be curious how JP is, though I don't know if I'd jump in that direction either. Looks fun though, and maybe deeper than the last year of Stern games.

#1221 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

To me the Wonkavator is worth the extra $.

I guess I'd like to see it up close, to understand it a bit more.

#1246 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Congratulations!
Also, that new metal piece on the back of the ball trough is the sexiest pic I've seen in this thread yet.

Yes! Glad improvements are being made as issues arise! Good work JJP!

#1266 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

That is awesome. I am sad I didn't get to it myself first. I've been holding off on streams that did.

I kinda feel the same way...

#1294 4 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

Cat is interested as well![quoted image]

Part Himalayan? Does your cat has sinus or eating issues? I had a friend that had one that definitely did. Sweet kittie for sure.

#1354 4 years ago

I'm just going to thumbs up all of ya pricks! Positivity serves ya right!

#1368 4 years ago

I played a few LE's at Helicon tonight, and definitely enjoyed myself! The best game out since Pirates, but still doesn't have as much packed in as that game. Definitely a flow based game compared to that.

I didn't see many balls locked in the Wonkivator, though the blue trim and wireforms looked really nice! Definitely some dimples in the playfield after a week.

I think if I were buying, the SE would be a really solid option for myself.

#1381 4 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Excited to be in the club! Now to figure out what the hell I'm shooting for.[quoted image]

...for greatness!

#1434 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

so did JJP confirm during this recent code updates that music and effects were improved b/c I just played the latest version of wonka and it seems better but I didn't see it in the code updates
Also - the LEs are very nice looking. Still think SE is the way to go but they did a nice job with the powder and overall package.

Hmm. Did your hearing change too, just like mine?

I was pretty sure it's mellowed out a good bit. The audio annoyances feel in the background MUCH more than months ago, even a bit since last month.

Game is really nice to shoot, and has made solid improvements! I just don't feel connected to the game when completing modes or making shots. It just feels like random target shooting, the modes never stick with my after play.

#1443 4 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Thanks to both of you. I will get the customer to modify the setting.

If you look into the subway via the scoop on the right, you'll see the ball punching up, unsuccessfully. Keep adjusting till it clears upwards and out of that scoop.

Quoted from zaphX:

I really don't think so. I played back the original Buffalo stream with Pat Lawlor playing, then one of my recent ones. I really think you guys are just realizing that playing it, the sounds work fine. Can't judge a pin by a stream

I was at the unveil, and the combined ear mass of 6 Pooppants Joe's, and sling a ding dings, nearly whipped my head off.

I went upstairs to the con floor, enjoyed Oktoberfest with Josh Kugler, then played and was really surprised by Black Knight!

I was razzing Delt, as he felt I wasn't hearing an improvement, until he played it again tonight.

Sound aside, me going from awful scores of 80K and lower, to 180K and lower, helped me enjoy the game a good bit more! I still don't feel modes have weight in this game, but surprise...surprise, sucking less....made the game considerably more FUN!!!

#1445 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It definitely has a learning curve, and as you start to climb it, it's more enjoyable.

I'm still waiting for that to happen on Houdini, Pirates, and every other game I don't own!

#1610 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

I bought these at Lowe’s today. larger ones (3/4”) for star posts, and smaller ones (1/2”) for the small posts. 98 cents per bag of 2[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Did you take a photo with the 1/2" regular posts?

I need to grab some for Pirates.

#1667 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Well I did not see any response to my post. I bought POTC and Wonka at the same time. Both LEs. Game design is amazing but the playfields are seriously below par. I’ve asked my distributor to replace my Wonka machine. I’ll let everyone know what happens. I’ve had the sling post issue with POTC but the Wonka is much worse. I’m not worried about POTC at this time although I used their star post repair kit. It was horrible! They provided six plastic washers. After installing they moved constantly. I first tried to tighten them more but they still moved and left an impression on the playfield. I took them out after two days and replaced with the rubber Hillman washers from Lowe’s. It is shocking to me that they would send replacement parts so obviously not up to what was needed. I’m hoping the impression damage doesn’t now cause the playfield to ripple outside of the new washer. Don’t see any solution if that happens. Won’t buy another JJ game for certain until the playfield issue is fixed 100 percent. I have three Sterns and one CGC and the playfields have no issues at all.

The slings were moving or just the washers underneath?

Sounds absolutely horrible, on both fronts.

#1671 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Washers and posts but I suspect the only reason the posts moved was because the washers were plastic and slippery

Ugh.

The neoprene are working better for you so far?

#1781 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

If it's not just points, maybe it should say "Big Award"? It does seem kind of naked without any text.
Rob

Add this non related audio, and I'm game!!

1 week later
#2043 4 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Sad you got downvoted, you’re not wrong. Mine didn’t arrive with the clear damage, but here we are a few weeks later. Clear on these playfields is soft and seemingly uncured.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is that a tear? I can relate...

How did that happen???

3 weeks later
#2470 4 years ago
Quoted from slippifishi:

Is this true? No printed manual ever?

I believe Butch is currently working on it. He's the best!

4 weeks later
#2866 4 years ago
Quoted from waynetrane:

I was not satisfied with the sideart on the market, so i decided to do some Wonka sideboarddecals by myself.
After the first proto-print i needed to edit some elements in size and position.
I'll see on friday how the 2nd print will fit.[quoted image][quoted image]

Those look really great, excellent work!

I hate to say it, but if the playfield IS the factory and those are it's walls, wouldn't "Wonka" on the outside of the windows be backwards?

#2951 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I asked Jack at the seminar if the root cause of the clear issues had been determined and if a fix had been identified:
Yes. Yes.
Could you expand on either?
No.
Wasn’t really sure what to make of that minimal answer, but some could take it as good news.

I just watched this last night, and was glad to see you ask the question, and in a tactful and thoughtful manner. I was then a bit jaw dropped by Jack's "response".

Here's my view on that entire situation.

This isn't exactly a White House briefing with reporters ready to fire off tense question after question. That said, it has been known for months this was an issue present in their games, and the community has rightfully wanted answers and explanations.

To start this entire panel, Jack could have stated something akin to..."Hi everybody, evening! I'd like to welcome everyone here tonight, and start discussing some of our future plans for games, as well as discuss some methodologies we use in our design process, but first I'd like to address an issue many of you have been concerned about greatly, and in turn our customer's concern is our concern.

Lately, we've had some issues regarding playfield quality in some of our games, in our past two titles. I'd like to state that I'm not at liberty to disclose specific details as to what created these issues or how, but I would like to take a moment to state that not only have we course corrected these issues, and have started production of even higher quality playfields than we had prior to these issues popping up, but I'd like to reassure fans and customers alike, that this issue has been seen to and improved upon in a way where lifetime playability of our games can exist once again.
Most of all I sincerely appreciate your patience in this matter, and dearly thank you for your continued support.

That said, I'd like to continue on with the night, and start by discussing our next new......."

Something akin to that. A non answer, answer, one assuring customer patience, while also stating for legality reasons these issues aren't possible to be discussed publicly, would have been both effective and respectful.

Maybe also stating that bluetooth and wifi adapters would be provided to all past and future customers at no charge, would have been a nice look as well.

I'm more than happy, as many of us all are, to support pinball and Jersey Jack, (I just bought my second game of theirs last week, after having issues with my POTC) but in that support, there needs to be a grounded sense of trust, faith, some degree of transparency, and most of all respect.

I feel Jack's response the other night could have been handled much more effectively, to the betterment of both customer and brand.

Again, thanks for trying in a respectful manner.

#2964 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

So the game produced has a limited playability due to defect?
Which is the time span for thoose defective games? Production dates?
What are the customers supposed to do about thoose games?
If there was an identifiable defect has thoose customers been notified?
What Will happen to the defective games?
Etc etc etc.....

This was a statement I wrote, that I imagined Jack....could....have said regarding playfield issues or something akin to it, when the question was asked.

He gave a brief "yes" they were fixed, and "no" they aren't discussing the issue. Something to that extent. The person who asked the question quoted his response directly on the prior page, and it's in the Pinball News JJP video as well.

#3041 4 years ago

Posting this in a few topics, feel free to share.

I was concerned about Cliffy, due to his relative proximity to the current California fires and power outages, and he replied as such.

"I’m sorry but nothing going out right now as power has been cut, no internet, no way to print shipping labels. We are smothered in smoke and surrounded by fires and non-stop 50mph winds. Please let everyone know cliffys is down right now and could be a few more days without power
Sincerest apologies."

Thanks..!

#3072 4 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

The JJP lockdown bars seem really finicky. I have lots of issues with WoZ and Pirates. WoZ I adjusted the brass screws, made a bit of a difference, still takes some finagling every time. Pirates refuses to latch closed with those screws all the way down or all the way up or any state in between, but thankfully doesn't really move anyway. Wonka and Hobbit lock down pretty well, but still rarely as easy as a Stern bar.

I had to reset, adjust my receiver for Pirates, to get the playfield to sit properly, as well as the yellow latch to sit in place. It's maybe a good idea to check your alignment by shifting the receiver itself, by removing the mounting bolts that sit outside the front of the cab. Then you can slide the receiver a bit and adjust as necessary.

2 weeks later
#3304 4 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

I’m pretty sure that decal is used to cover up the Selfie camera below the display screen. I recall Dialed In! Coming with a decal like this for that purpose.

Yup. That's my thought as well. It was an eyeball for DI, so this fits the theme of not being spied on, ala Slugworth.

1 month later
#3688 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

It is seriously borked. Turn the game off. Lift playfield up and lean back. Look at the bottom of the unit. See the huge plastic nut thingy ? Loosen it, then raise or lower the rotating circle as needed. Then retighten the big plastic nut.
You have then successfully unborked it.
LTG : )

(Sorry, kinda just catching up...)

Did somebody say BORKED!?!?!
giphy (7) (resized).pnggiphy (7) (resized).png

Sidenote,

Congrats to Butch Peel and team, for the most excellent, as always, release of the new manual!!!

#3697 4 years ago
Quoted from Flipper-airbrush:

Airbrush kit for a standart willy wonka
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Man, that is snazzy! Really nice work there! Do you have your own studio?

3 weeks later
#4122 4 years ago

I think there's new code out. Like...1.33? Just saw it on Facebook.

Screenshot_20200130-151525_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200130-151525_Chrome (resized).jpg
#4192 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

The game came with what looks like two extra pieces of mylar, just about half circles... Are these supposed to go somewhere? Sling area?

Don't own the game, but yes, I'd guess slings.

#4201 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

You say change them out, but my machine doesnt have them by the slings from factory...

I think he's confusing them for being extra sling plastics, versus mylar for the slings.

#4210 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Might need to jump on one of those. Looks great! Thanks...
Also, normal to hear a loud squelching noise on boot up? Ive already read the gobstopper motor is loud on startup so I know thats normal.

Is it a loud pop kinda noise? harryhoudini sells a kit for that.

#4212 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

yea kind of like that but with a squelch. What is that from exactly?

I think it's the amp getting power upon startup. It's a common issue with every JJP game.

https://pinballmods.co/pinball-mods/jjp-startup-pop-eliminator-device

#4214 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Actually, i just updated to 1.31 and it didnt do the noise on start up. I do notice a fair amount of back box noise. Humming or whatever

Added a link above.

#4240 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Be aware that the purpose of that shield is also to protect your Oompa Loompa. He can take an airball and break.

Will....break. Just a matter of time sans shield.

#4293 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm calling Jack tomorrow. Gonna get to the bottom of it.
Like i said, fully paid since April of last year.
Do anybody know anyone that has paid for a CE and not gotten one?

Did you buy from JJP direct?

1 week later
#4384 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So yes i did buy my game from an "authorized distributor" at the time, you know him, now he's in a dispute with JJP.
JJP decided to make the issue between them and my "authorized distributor" at the time MY problem. The reply was "sorry that happened to you, you should get your money back and buy from someone else". WTF?
I'm just the innocent 3rd party buyer in good faith. And that's how i was treated as a customer of them. "Too bad, sorry it happened".
Yeah i don't think so, they need to help facilitate getting me the game i ordered and paid for through their "authorized distributor". I shouldn't have to suffer as an innocent party in the middle of THEIR dispute.
It'll get worked out.
I was a first month WOZ buyer way back when so nothing really surprises me.

This all sounds awful. Really sorry to hear about your troubles trying to enjoy a game, and support a company and distributor.

#4417 4 years ago
Quoted from waynetrane:

The racism allegations are simply ridiculous.
A little bit of black humor about the final inspection of the production is immediately stamped by some people as racism.
For what reason? Because the contribution comes from Germany?
I can assure everyone that the post contains 0% racism from my side. If I offended anyone with that, I am truly sorry.

Yeah, I don't want to jump into someone's head and brand them for one off color dumb comment. That's equally unfair as the initial comment. The comment was racially charged and stupid? Sure. Racist in action and thought? No clue, not my place to judge you, at all. I don't care really how people express views, I value more how a person treats individuals, and I feel that's far more important than broadstroking dumb comments like the one a page back.

As a side note, I watched a Stern tour from a few year's ago on Youtube, and yes most factory workers are Mexican. More than anything, the skill level to work there, and training is really high, and the job looks unrewarding and difficult. My labor based job is far simpler, and I most likely get paid 2-3 times higher than these folks.

So in short, those are pretty highly trained people at Stern.

Back to Wonka.

#4423 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

And they could be citizens. Came here legally. Or even born here. Many have families going back hundreds of years in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, etc.
LTG : )

Oh for sure. I meant Mexican as in lineage. I wasn't implying illegal. I wouldn't imagine Stern would be a part of that, more likely just low wages, but I have no idea. There was definitely a northern latino migration decades back into the midwest.

I lived in San Antonio for a few years, long ago. Definitely was a different experience from someone born in the rust belt. My biggest issue were newfound allergies, and lack of any discernible hills. I miss the food....but not the dry heat.

Everyone is/was a foreigner and immigrant at some point, and I'd feel pretty alien in most parts of the world, and often in my own part, on a daily basis.

#4425 4 years ago

To this point, does anyone have any idea what pay, paid time off, health care, etc. is like at the Stern plant?

For me, someone using the word Mexican to describe pinball line workers isn't offensive, with Stern it's factually accurate. What might be offensive is the assumption that recent immigrants are getting shit wages because they're recent immigrants.

The fantasy, is we can all get upset over what we can imply is a racially charged comment. The reality, should be wondering what these employees are paid.

Watch any tour video from the last decade, and they are largely a latino based workforce, with the person giving the tour, speaking rudimentary spanish to the workers as they take the tour. My assumption is these people do skilled labor, work that other non latino workers wouldn't want, and get paid shit for doing so. Basically, what immigrants always end up doing in any country, until they're established. Being used and taken advantage of.

I've heard New Jersey is a higher worker paid state, so JJP must pay more to their employees, I'm assuming so anyway.

#4428 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You have So many words but you are missing the point Entirely! It doesn’t matter in Any way what the gender or race of an employee is in Any position period. They are employees. Calling out someone by a race or gender like in this case was done so maliciously without question. End of story. If they are all women would we be fine if he said bitches? Come on now, no sense wasting time defending individuals that have No respect now or ever.

Yeah, I get your point, and other people's. It's fine to feel differently. I'm glad people feel and think differently.

However, I don't feel the need to persecute someone I know nothing about, for using one word, in a possibly demeaning, at worst, way.

Individuals feel differently about words, humor, whatever, as do Europeans and Americans. I don't need to impose how I feel, onto this dude.

If I ever head over to Germany, I'd be more than glad to sit with him at a bar, have a delicious German beer, play pinball, and ask him his views on such things. I'd rather do that than castigate racism on him for one dumbass comment. Doesn't make me a better person to shame, scold or try to toss him a teachable moment. His feelings, his views, are his own. Whoopdeedoo. At worst his comment was crass and ignorant. I can live with him making a dumb crack like that.

Side note, and anyone please feel free to poop on this notion, but modern Germans are pretty guilted in their daily lives, from what I've read regarding Holocaust Monuments. I'm sure this guy, and many, have a moral framework that goes far beyond most Americans, myself included.

#4487 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Looking at a Wonka with a pretty good size chip by the Bars collected inserts. Do other Wonka's have chipping issues. Only reason I would get it is because its a good price and would come with a new pf (that I will never swap [quoted image]

Can you negotiate an even better price...?

I wonder what the game tastes like. Surely the owner thought it lickable, and took a big chomp accidentally.

1 week later
#4595 4 years ago
Quoted from Lrrr:

NIB LE arriving tomorrow. My first pin! I am pretty sure I will need to take the backbox off to get it upstairs with two people and a hand truck. Has anyone done this? What about taking out the playfield to reduce weight? Is this practical?
We can probably muscle it up, but making it as light as possible seems like a good idea--safest for the machine and people involved.

Definitely strap it in, and prepare for more weight than you expect. Wonka is over 350.

#4612 4 years ago
Quoted from Lrrr:

Well, game delivered. I moved it inside easily before helper arrived[quoted image]

So glad it's going smoothly!!

#4629 4 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

That's what I had to do when installing side blades on my WOZ. Had to take the playfield out myself, would have been less painful if I had another person!

Damn! That had to have been awkward...and painful.

1 week later
#4716 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I did notice that the ground wire sits under the shooter rod plate on the left side. I believe this is what is making it not centered..
Anyone else have this?

I've noticed and felt that was an issue with my POTC receiver, and playfield not resting easily.

1 month later
#4917 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Dont go by the bubble as they vary and are not very accurate ...its a starting point but use a phone app or even better a inclineometer. Jjp pins imo play best around 7.0-7.2 between the flippers.

Hmm. So when people describe pitch, the starting point is inbetween the flippers usually? I've been measuring mostly in the center of the playfield.

1 month later
#5283 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

There was a brigade of bullshit against the game after it started shipping for trivial issues made out to be dealbreakers.

Kinda similar to Pirates....

Ultimately, when reading over this site, and facebook threads, and other places, Stern seems to capture sole market share for some people. Some people never seem to consider alternatives.

Ultimately the game needs to stand on it's own, merits or lack thereof, and while I don't feel his vibe was helpful, positive or well informed, people still need to decide on their own, and an often anti-JJP bias is preexisting in people.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wesman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside?tu=wesman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.