3F399DA2-05BE-4F28-B121-D5BAA4BACB64.jpeg
Wonkavator rules (resized).PNG
20220418_162520 (resized).jpg
20220219_182357 (resized).jpg
P1020454 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20220427-034941_Drive (resized).jpg
536C9FBF-3B98-4A75-A161-DF7E5D71A215 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #149 Deep Dive on features and all that is wonka Posted by pin2d (3 years ago)

Post #150 SDTM video on Wonka - interview with Pat Lawlor and Joe Katz Posted by ZMeny (3 years ago)

Post #160 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (3 years ago)

Post #188 Rules Flowchart Posted by f3honda4me (3 years ago)

Post #248 Features Matrix - CE, LE, SE Posted by f3honda4me (3 years ago)

Post #554 Early Stream of a home owner who received their game Posted by Thegeekyhusband (2 years ago)

Post #785 Gobstopper subway VUK not ejecting ball fix Posted by Lermods (2 years ago)

Post #793 Gobstopper subway VUK fix pics for reference Posted by Lermods (2 years ago)

Post #1130 Latest code changelog Posted by LTG (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rager170.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

690 posts in this topic match your search for posts by rager170. You are on page 1 of 3.
#3807 2 years ago

Ok question for you guys since this game has been out for a little while now. Its a dream theme for me and I want one someday.

The question now that its been out, is it worth it for the LE for the price difference between that and the Standard? Very curious on opinions from those who own and have played them.

Thanks.

#3810 2 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

I went through this same process just a week ago.
I went LE. I DON'T think the value is there, but I still wanted the Wonkavator and other additions that the LE has over the standard. This is going to be a long term keeper for me.
If you don't care for the extras then go standard. It has to be the biggest bang for your buck when it comes to NIB right now.

Besides the Wonkavator (which I new was the main difference), what other differences are there aside from the cabinet art?

#3811 2 years ago

And then my next question is. Is the Wonkavator worth it? I mean, for those of you that have an LE, is it something that you couldnt live without?

My example would be my GB Premium. I love the manga slings so much, I couldn't go back to not having them...

#3815 2 years ago

Thanks for the replies. It looks like it would come down to wanting the Wonkavator or not. The other stuff I can add (except artwork).

Unfortunately I havent been able to play one yet so I am not very familiar with the wonkavator..

#3820 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

To add to this it also keeps the ball out of the dangerous pops a fair amount more with the wonkavator lock. That area also has lots of lighting which really brightens up the gane and adds to the amazing lightshows the gane offers. Plus the wonkavator mb intro is super cool with it and the shaker. Add all that plus all the other extras especially the beautiful powder coated stuff and I think it's well worth it.

Good info. Thanks..

#3821 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Maybe look for a huo le in low to mid 8s?

Yea thats an option. I just wasnt sure if I wanted an LE or not...

#3827 2 years ago

Thanks Guys. Lots a good info to think about. Tough decision when it comes down to it!

#3830 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

One thing to think about - you should be able to get a decent SE at this point for under $7K easy.

Quoted from zaphX:

Correct. Mine sold for 6500 and it took a while to do so.

That would be good motivation for me to buy. I havent seen any around me really listed at those levels. I will keep an eye out.

Thanks again.

#3834 2 years ago

Try putting a WTB out there for one. I bet you get some bites from folks who are looking to upgrade to an LE or CE.

haha, and that makes me curious if I should spring for an LE lol.

The LE, while nice of course.. I dont know if I can justify the price jump on them..

#3836 2 years ago

Now I have to read through all the clear coating issues... That is always a concern..

#3838 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Another thing to note is that Issue was on the early machine's and se were made first.

So that issue is not happening anymore?

#3841 2 years ago

Good to know, thanks guys.

#3845 2 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

My just delivered LE has a "born on date" of 10/19 and no clear coil at issues.

Good to know..

#3846 2 years ago

Another question.. now that i cant get this game out of my head..

I noticed that Cliffy doesnt have any products for this game yet. After looking at the playfield, it doesnt look like theres a whole lot that needs protecting, unless im missing things.

Thoughts?

#3848 2 years ago
Quoted from Weedlum:

I have an LE from July of last year. It does have clear coat issues. Still waiting to get that resolved with JJP. As for Cliffys, I think the saucer could use one. Maybe the shooter lane, but I haven't seen any issues so far. zaphx would know better. He put a few thousand games on his SE before upgrading to his CE. If he wasn't seeing much after the number of games he put on his, I wouldn't worry.

Yes, Shooter lane area is always needed IMO.

Is the saucer the gobstopper hole?

#3850 2 years ago
Quoted from Weedlum:

No. The saucer is under the Wonkvision. It’s one of the skill shots and mode start shot. The gobstopper hole seems pretty reinforced, so I don’t think it needs it. The entire edge has a metal frame and the disk itself is not wood. I’ve seen no issues on mine or on the few I’ve seen on location.

Yes, I was thinking the same about the gobstopper, so was curious why it would need protecting..

Thanks.

#3852 2 years ago

Anything else I should know about with this machine before looking to purchase? Any known problems or things to protect or tweak?

Thanks again for all the help.

#3853 2 years ago

And do LE models come with a topper?

#3856 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

SE is a great value and as others said doesn't really justify going LE..... Until you actually see the LE in person and realize how much nicer it is.
Logical decision = SE but in this hobby when you're spending 7k+..... Now same can be said for CE but thankfully logic prevailed on that one for me as looks wise, it's not the same difference as the SE to LE jump.
Wonkavator lift off also has one of the rare video and audio sync... Which don't even get me started.... Just happy to have some. The lock itself is very generic but still cool to see and again lift off with the sounds video Shaker and lights is prob one of the best the game has that I've seen.
SE still the value play no question

For the SE version, is there a video of the wonkavator on the screen or is that only for the LE version?

#3858 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Yes when the third ball is virtually locked it triggers a badass video with audio just like the movie and than multiball is released.This is really cool with a shaker moter I feel is required

Yes, I would definitely get a shaker motor.

Just going back and forth between the standard and LE but leaning more towards the standard. It seems that the wonkavator really isnt used all that much. Its cool, dont get me wrong but dont think the jump in price can justify it for me.

#3860 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

The only thing you need besides a shaker motor is some additional lighting in back left corner.

Id get that Wonkavator as well... Not sure how much that lights up the area. Need to see for myself. Can always add the RGB light strip if needed I suppose.

#3862 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I have Lermods Wonkavator it doesn’t stay lit.It flashes and the prop turns which is really cool but it doesn’t put out any real light to that dark left hand corner.

What did you do to light up that area?

#3864 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Can’t remember right now but it’s cool because it change color along with playfield or its white

Hmmnn, I havent seen that mod offered. Only ones that you would control with a remote.

#3866 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Thx..it's not really meant to light up the area, just the wonkavator itself during wonkavator ball locks via the super lock insert. For light in the back, we offer an RGB backboard light, which adds a lot of light and can be controlled/dimmed.
I have one wonkavator in stock and should have more in a week or so.

Thanks! The Wonkavator looks great! I dont have the machine yet but working on pulling the trigger. If I do, that is the first mod im buying along with a shaker motor.

Some people on here were talking about backboard lighting that goes along with the playfield lights. I havent seen this offered but curious if you know anything about it?

#3869 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

My backboard light is RGB and is activated and controlled by the light under cabinet.Whatever that light does the back nostril does

Do you remember where you purchased it from?

#3871 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Hookedonpinball.I chose wisely!

Yea that item isnt offered anymore

#3873 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

That’s sucks it really adds to my SE

yes, i would really love to have those lights work with the playfield lights... Im going to email them.

#3874 2 years ago

Ok, so i reached out to my distibutor to ask about build dates for machines and he is going to get back to me.

I am a bit concerned about clear coat issues.

Does anyone know when these were happening or what is a safe date of production or production dates to avoid?

#3876 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

My SE was built in early November and has no issues. I heard even back to October was fine.

That was quick! Thank you for that. When did these machines first get released?

If anyone else has any opinions also..

#3879 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Go to his Pinside shop and look for backboard light

Not there..

#3881 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Try this[quoted image]

Sorry, but I cant figure how to find his shop on Pinside. I feel stupid lol

#3884 2 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

At expo I asked Jjp employees about the play fields the games they had on display were perfect.
The response was they were built in October
So to answer the question I would say October.

Thanks! It seems from checking into this that October and later are the ones that are "safe". I have a feeling this will be an issue with my distributor but oh well. I certainly am not getting into an issue with the playfield going forward. That would ruin the fun for me for sure.

#3891 2 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Willy Wonka interactive lighting add on all versions
That is the title.
We have them in stock and a set went out today.
Simple easy interactive just mirrors the factory GI socket you choose.
I installed them under my apron also to mirror the shoot again insert.
Always available at [email protected]
I just have not had time to add the kit to my web site hookedonpinball.com

Thank you!

#3892 2 years ago

Man, I really cannot make up my mind on what model to get here lol. Thanks for all the help with my questions and sorry for hijacking the thread the last couple days...

#3894 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I have the SE, love it. Don't miss the Wonkavator at all. The gap between the two models is too high for what you get. It's the widest gap for any JJP game that has come before it. You can add a shaker for $79.

Im sure you have, but have you had fair time with an LE with wonkavator?

Back when I first started getting into the hobby, I bought my first machines, TWD Pro. I later regretted not getting the Premium as I felt I was missing out on some cool stuff... I said I would never make that mistake again. Year or so later, bought a GB Premium and never regretted it.

Now im back to the decision haha. My fear of missing out is my issue ha. But I agree, the jump in price is what is making this so hard.

#3897 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I'm not sure I would say a fair time, but I've played it at shows, last time was in October at expo. Don't get me wrong, the Wonkavator is a cool feature and I like it, but I don't feel the need to have it and for me the price gap is simply too much on this one. The SE plays very well. If the price was $1000 between the models, I'd likely get the LE for the wonkavator, glass, shaker and whatever else you get (powder coating maybe). DILE and DI standard were $1000 apart and it was worth it to get the LE for the ramp lights, powder coating, glass and other things.

Understood. Same feeling as many others.

I was doing the math to price out the extras that come with the LE.. If a topper came with it, it would be closer to justifying. Hard one..

I appreciate your input...

#3902 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Not to complicate things but based on what I've seen on pinside from you (this and other threads), you're going to regret not getting the LE. If you were someone that was penny pinching, sure but the upgrades are nice and you might really enjoy it and then say, I wish I had the full wonka experience. Technically the SE doesn't and that's fine but if you're 7k deep already, that might be a regret. Again - I think the SE is the better value no question but I'm not sure you're in the value game when enjoying your pinball - you seem to be more in it for the experience and just the powder alone, makes the game look much nicer and that's when it's turned off haha.

Well you are correct, and that is the other side of it thinking, im already spending 7k, might as well take the full jump in.

Thanks for making this that much harder

#3905 2 years ago

Heres a question that im sure is debatable..

Would an LE model hold value better than an SE? Obviously the LE has only "x" amount made... Granted, this is a machine that I will most likely own forever as its a dream theme for me, but god forbid I needed the money for some reason..

#3970 2 years ago

What is the vote for the best topper for WW? Im not overly impressed with the two ive seen offered, JJP and the Tilt topper.

Anyone know if Laseriffic is looking to make one or anyone else?

#3973 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I feel the same I think the one you can buy from Jack is better ,but I’m still holding out for a badass Wonkatania floating down a chocolate river.Well maybe a 3D boat that rocks with led lighting

I even like what that one guy on here had, just said WONKA in changing colors. Was a slot machine topper.

For some reason im just not thrilled with the others ive seen. the JJP one is ok but for $300?? Why is it $300? lol

#3975 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Well U guess you could be needing a Stern Star Wars topper for $750!

Wow really? Thats what they go for?? Thats insane.

#3978 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Have you bought many toppers?? $300 shipped is on the Low price for a topper unless its one of those acrylic sign pieces. This one is well built, theme correct, animated light show, and plug and play with mounting hardware. Far from what I have seen with any other offering.

I have three machines and they all have toppers. None of them cost close to $300.

GB - Laseriffic
WOZ - Flame Pot topper
TWD - Modfather topper

Edit - the JJP topper for this machine looks like an acrylic sign piece. It has some blinking LEDs behind the waterfall and thats it essentially. Not seeing how that is costs $300..

#3981 2 years ago

Funny thing ive noticed, perhaps you guys can tell me...

Looking through pictures of the playfield, I noticed that the inserts leading to the "newtown ball", some say Collect Kid and some show Collect Brat..

Why are these different?

#3984 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Brat was on the prototype that wasn't approved by the licensee

Too bad. Brat is much better there than kid..

#3988 2 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

Really one of the more ironical right's holder action I've ever heard. Seems very contrary to one of the major themes of the book being that the parents coddled their kids into becoming monsters. Now the right holder falls prey to the same political correct trap where we can't even call these special angels brats? Seems like the Dahl folks are poor stewards of the license.

The whole movie is based around how these children have bad habbits and how one should not act, followed up with an Oompa Loompa song driving home the message even further. Augustus eats too much, Veruca is spoiled, Violet's chewing of gum (was looked upon at the time as a very bad habit), Mike Teevee watching too much tv... And all these things did in fact make them brats...

#4001 2 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

thanks for the info, but I will not pay 13 euro shipping for a 15 euro plastic

I went to buy something from them also. The shipping was one thing, but then Paypal wanted a 3.5% currency conversion fee. I was paying with a credit card and not paypal.

I said forget it after seeing that.

#4002 2 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Still, gotta love the font work on "Brat." What could have been![quoted image]

The font of BRAT is actually what made me notice it. Loved it. Just the little things... ha

#4018 2 years ago

Question for you guys. This might sound dumb but... lol

Do you guys do anything special when putting on the legs of these machines that are powder coated? The reason I ask is becuase I noticed that when I put on the legs for my WOZ and cranked down the bolts, they chip away under the bolt. Obviously not an issue since its under the bolt but I can see this spreading if needing to take on and off...

Wasnt sure if anyone uses a rubber washer or anything like that?

#4020 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

If it bothers you PinballLife sells nylon washers all colors for this or Stern simply puts a washer on the screw so it doesn’t bite. Not really a big issue. Good luck

Cool thanks.

#4074 2 years ago

Hey guys,

I just wanted to give a heads up on a mod that I bought that looks nothing like pictured.. Sorry to those modders selling this but it has to be mentioned.

This "pile of gumdrops" by ULEK Store... junk. In the picture, it looks like a picture perfect pile of gumdrops. It looks so realistic that I actually thought it might be a real pile of gumdrops. Well, I received this over the weekend and the quality of print is poor. It looks faded and completely unrealistic. Granted, its only $15 but seriously, save your money. It is not a good looking mod.

Here is what it claims to look like. I will send a pic later of what I received.

https://www.ulekstore.com/Gum_Drop_MOD_for_Willy_Wonka_pinball_p/gumdrops.htm

#4076 2 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Curious to see how the actual product looks. I know david and all of his mods i have seen are top notch. Could it be that it was just a bad print? I have seen the mod on his game and thought that it looked good. Im sure he will make it right

Is David from the ULEK store? I did send them an email back about this item and difference from the picture to what I received.

I havent had any issues with ULEK in the past either, so was surprised with this one.

#4078 2 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Yes david owns ulekstore.

Well I will post back what is said and send a picture later.

#4079 2 years ago

Well, I asked my wife to take a picture and she did. I will say, that the picture she took looks much better than it does in real life. My wife knows nothing about pinball and doesnt care to know. Her response after the picture was sent was "Looks better in the picture LOL".

So unfortunately a picture isnt going to help.

#4082 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Same thing goes for the pile of Wonka Bars that goes by the Oompa Loompa camera person, ended up taking it off it looked so fake... It's just a picture laminated to hardboard...
Jeff

Oh really? Ha, that was another one that I was looking into. I thought they were 3d printed or whatever..

#4083 2 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Thats too bad. I hope it gets resolved. The only mods i have from them is flipper toppers, and those are always good, but my wonka has i think mod couple flipper toppers since i really liked those with the 3d candy on them

Its not a huge deal since its a $15 mod, but just wanted to let others know...

In regards to flipper toppers, i saw these on ebay and thought they "looked" good. I guess you can never be sure until you see them in person.

ebay.com link: WILLY WONKA CHOCOLATE FACTORY Pinball Flipper Cushioned Armour 4 piece set

#4085 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

So did I until I got the package...
Jeff

Well I appreciate you sharing that info. Not looking to waste more money on crappy mods.

#4087 2 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

well, not to knit pick, but on the link you posted it does specifically state:
"This mod is made from 1/4" hard board and has a metal plate backing. You can either use the hole to remove a screw and place it anywhere on the playfield or it comes with double sided 3M tape that you can simply adhere to any open space. "
not sure if that was added recently or not, but it does state what it is.

No I realize that but the picture looks great. The product in person does not..

#4103 2 years ago
Quoted from BigSilverPin:

agreed, i purchased as well and was surprised with what came. I still installed it, but def was what I thought it was!

They offered me to return this and me pay shipping. Not even sure its worth doing. I think im picking up my machine this weekend (if the distributor has a newer build date) and I want to see what it looks like.

Otherwise I will offer this to someone here for cheap if they want it.

#4107 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Did you buy a SE or a LE?

After a long time going back and forth, I decided to go with the LE.

#4109 2 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

Tough choice but a great one. Congrats. You will love it!

Thanks! Honestly, Im just paranoid at this point about all the clear coat issues ive been reading about. Its kind of sucking the excitement out of getting a new pin... I just have to double check the build date on the machine. My distributor said he is picking new machines up from JJP today, so im assuming they are newer...

#4113 2 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

I got my NIB LE 2 weeks ago. It's build date was October 19 and it has no clear coat issues at all. Relax and enjoy the moment. To use a 'cargument', you don't assume that your brand new car is immediately headed for a recall; pardon my analogy but enjoy that 'new car fragrance' for as long as you can.

Quoted from romulusx:

If it's a new build you will be fine.

Thanks guys! Appreciate that.

#4116 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Don’t let the hysterical pinside hive mind get in your head.

I know! I was good at first but then found myself on the JJP/Stern Playfield Issue Thread often reading and my mind started running...

In reality, I bet the majority of people do not have issues.

#4117 2 years ago

Question. The blue rubber on this piece in this picture. What is its purpose?

pasted_image (resized).png
#4120 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Thats the nub that holds the large round rubber on the bottom of the VUK that the ball hits on exit to the shooter lane. We sell a hat to cover that if you don't like nubins lol

I saw the hat you make and I do like it. Personally, it would be an automatic manditory buy if it were the same colors as the movie. But I do like it and most likely will end up buying. Nice mod...

I also like your Good/Bad egg mod. Ill be looking to get that and a few others before too long.

Thanks for the reply.

#4121 2 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

Rager, I just posted my SE on the marketplace. Your not too far from me. I live in Salem, NH. My machine looks like it just came out of the box and you would save $1000 off a new SE.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/91212

Thanks. If something doesnt work out with what im working on now, I may take you up on that..

Personally, I dont think you will have a hard time moving that game..

#4125 2 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Not seeing anything in the release notes for update 1.33 to control the brightness of the Wonkatania topper.... Anyone know if they are working on it??!?

How do you like it? I have been debating getting one at some point.

#4138 2 years ago

Ok looks like my LE is a go for pickup tomorrow.

I was told the build date is October 29th and that was the last build date for LEs before they switched to CEs...

Now im excited!!

#4140 2 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Just got notification back from Jen at JJP that the electrical design of the Wonkatania topper does NOT allow for the control of brightness. As I suspected, they failed to incorporate a circuit that would do this. (SMD LEDs by themselves are either on or off) That kinda sucks. Looks like I will be replacing it with my Casino Slot machine topper. It is WAY too bright compared to the game.
Maybe someone can build a board that plugs in series to do this? Maybe the LEDOCD guy?

Some of those Casino slot toppers look awesome!

#4144 2 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Yeah, I bought mine a while ago, and am in the process of modifying it to go on top of the machine. I was thinking about selling it if the Wonkatania topper was dimmable.
Here's my slot topper. it color-changes.[quoted image]

Yes, that is awesome! I saw a picture of that a while back and thought it was a Laseriffic topper and searched high and low. Then realized it was a slot topper.

That is better than any of the toppers out there. Im hoping Laseriffic does something just like that.

#4145 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

I'm seriously considering installing the additional left post and then bringing the right outline posts down all the way in an effort to reduce the amount of balls lost to either side... Normally I wouldn't do this but I really want to get deeper in the game and best I can do to date is 3million... Anyone else taken those measures?
Thanks,
Jeff

That score is within the top 10 scores on pinside...

I will leave my comments of making machines easier to myself

#4146 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

I'm seriously considering installing the additional left post and then bringing the right outline posts down all the way in an effort to reduce the amount of balls lost to either side... Normally I wouldn't do this but I really want to get deeper in the game and best I can do to date is 3million... Anyone else taken those measures?
Thanks,
Jeff

In all seriousness, instead of permanently modding your game like that. Why not block off the outlanes to see progression if thats what you want to see?

#4151 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

My Wonka is factory settings with my high score is at 13,425,000

I actually realized after i posted that there arent a whole lot of scores added...

What is the average scoring for this?

#4156 2 years ago

Good to know. thanks..

#4169 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

I'm confused... I'm not permanently modding anything... The left side has a post and the right side has two different posts in slots designed to be adjusted up or down to either make it easier or harder for a ball to drain, it's part of the design of the game...???
Jeff

Oh sorry. I thought you had meant you wanted to add another post.. meaning where one isnt available already..

Sorry for the confusion.

#4170 2 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I think there's new code out. Like...1.33? Just saw it on Facebook.[quoted image]

Anyone able to find this on the JJP website? Im not seeing it..

#4171 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Anyone able to find this on the JJP website? Im not seeing it..

Actually I do see this.

Since I am getting my machine today, it looks like I need to first install 1.31 before going with 1.33?

Can anyone confirm this? This is what I see on JJP..

Willy Wonka Delta Upgrade 1.31 to 1.33 *NEW*
NOTE: MUST BE INSTALLED OVER 1.31 OR 1.32

#4174 2 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Correct. If your current code is less than 1.31 you will need to download the 1.31 iso, then follow the instructions per jjp website. Once you are up to 1.31, then you can apply the 1.33 update.

Great, thanks!

#4175 2 years ago
Quoted from Gasoline:

You will find it in the "Downloads" folder:
https://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/support/

Thanks. I ended up finding it. Didnt see it below at first..

#4179 2 years ago

Hey guys,

I am setting up my new machine and in the directions it mentions removing a film from the Radcals... I am not seeing this film and the last thing I want to do is start peeling off the decals...

Thoughts?

#4180 2 years ago

Now that Im looking at the differences between models, im assuming radcals are only for the CE.. Not sure why they put that in my LE..

#4181 2 years ago

Also.. Havent played yet but the camera in the game doesnt seem to be pointing at me, seems like it points off to the side.

Is this normal or can it be adjusted?

#4183 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Is it taking your picture? Radicals were an option for all games so they add that disclaimer should your game be one of those.

I havent played it yet. Just something I noticed. Is it supposed to point directly at you or look like its pointing off center?

#4184 2 years ago

Also.. How the hell do you get the packing foam out from behind Wonkavision??!! lol

#4186 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Slide Playfield out, remove foam. Your going to have a fun weekend.

Oh duhhhhh lol. Thanks.

And the camera, looks like pictures I just looked at, so looks normal.

Thanks for the help!

#4190 2 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

The actual camera taking your picture is behind the back glass at the bottom. If you look real careful you can see it.
The Oompa Loompa is a toy prop.

Ahhh i see. Thank you!

#4191 2 years ago

The game came with what looks like two extra pieces of mylar, just about half circles... Are these supposed to go somewhere? Sling area?

#4197 2 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

Just an alternate set if you want to change yours out, or if yours broke.

You say change them out, but my machine doesnt have them by the slings from factory...

#4198 2 years ago

Ok a couple more questions then I will stop blowing up this thread. Thanks again for all the help.

I see that on the left drain area there is a place to put the post if you want. There are two holes. The upper hole is covered with a black cover but the lower hole is not and just shows the threads for where the post would install. Is the post supposed to go there and if its optional, should I put that extra black cover over those threads?

Secondly, the machine came with a Slugworth sticker. Looks like a magnet. Is this just for the coin door?

#4202 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No post - easier left drains. Post in first open hole - a tad harder drains. Post in plugged hole - even harder to drain. If you use that hole, save the plug or put in the other hole. Doesn't matter.

You can add them if you like.
LTG : )

So I just fired this bad boy up. Awesome.. But really? Not post on the left? I played two games real quick and all balls drained there. Thats a crazy drain!!

Also, is this how the backbox GI should look? Just looks like a lot of lost artwork with no lights..

wonka (resized).jpg
#4204 2 years ago

Might need to jump on one of those. Looks great! Thanks...

Also, normal to hear a loud squelching noise on boot up? Ive already read the gobstopper motor is loud on startup so I know thats normal.

#4207 2 years ago

Thanks again! I think I'm officially all out of questions.

Thanks again for all the help and quick answers. You guys are awesome!

#4208 2 years ago
Quoted from joefox22:

Anyone have any issues with the Gobstopper having issues with spinning.
In test mode it functions fine, in game play when you hit the most secret machine it’s spins normally, the hole spins and opens and then the gobstopper only ticks around slowly and intermittently.

Bump. Sorry for hogging the thread

#4209 2 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I'm not digging the new VUK settings after 1.33. Getting misfires again in the shooter lane, which cost me some crucial seconds with multiball timers earlier. Anyone else experiencing this? I think I'm gonna need to bump it back up.

Another bump

#4211 2 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Is it a loud pop kinda noise? HarryHoudini sells a kit for that.

yea kind of like that but with a squelch. What is that from exactly?

#4213 2 years ago

Actually, i just updated to 1.31 and it didnt do the noise on start up. I do notice a fair amount of back box noise. Humming or whatever

#4217 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Is this your first pin or nib pin? Or just first nib or jjp pin?

No I have a woz also but don't feel like it has that...

#4218 2 years ago

Question. Is it me or my machine or does the audio during game play sound shallow or thin? I feel like there isn't much depth to the audio

#4219 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Is this your first pin or nib pin? Or just first nib or jjp pin?

I actually think it's the fan I'm hearing now that I'm spending more time with it

#4220 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Question. Is it me or my machine or does the audio during game play sound shallow or thin? I feel like there isn't much depth to the audio

It's almost scratchy sounding if that makes sense

#4222 2 years ago

I almost feel like a speaker is blown. Something sounds strange from the left side

#4224 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure something is up with my left tweeter.. It's distorted. I'll contact jjp next week. I'd much rather have that issue than anything else..

Besides that, this game is awesome! Flows fast and smooth. Very hard and like others have said, always gives you that "just one more" feeling. Love it!!!

#4225 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Go into the sound test and make sure everything is working ok

I went through the volume settings. Not sure if I missed something? I actually lowered the settings for all sound to see if I could get rid of that scratchy distortion I'm hearing. No luck

#4227 2 years ago

Is there a way to turn treble down? When it hits higher notes it distorts

#4228 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

There's a actual sound test in the menu under tests that u can do a bunch of different things with.

OK thanks. Let me look for that

#4229 2 years ago

Ok so I found that sound test and to be honest, it all sounded great. No offense to anyone but I think I'm gonna have to chalk it up to just not the greatest quality of call out sound. That seems to be my issue

#4232 2 years ago

I'm at volume 23.. I started messing around with the settings and I did get it to sound a bit better...

On another note, I messed around with thr monitor settings as I felt stock looked a but washed out. I turned down brightness almost all the way and played with contrast. Colors are much more rich and vibrant.

Yes, I'm a visual snob lol

#4235 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

What settings are u at on the monitor.. I've been waiting for someone to do this as I think mine looks a little off also

pull the monitor out and the buttons are on the side of the back panel.. my monitor turns off though if it pulls out at a certain point...

#4243 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Get a Polk Audio 10” sub for $99 and crank it

I noticed in the reviews for the Wonka machine, there are a few mentions of the poorer audio quality of this game, so its definitely not me.

Also one mentioned that the sub didnt do much to fix this and that the audio just is flat in general.

Ill probably pick up another polk at some point to see if it helps at all but still underwhelmed with the audio quality from this game. its bugging me..

#4245 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

audio on mine is just like all the other JJPs however I am using an external sub. No diff in quality.

Then something is definitely wrong with mine. I put in a ticket with JJP.

My WOZ sounds worlds better. This sounds like its playing in mono out of a speaker from 1940.

#4247 2 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

I have no complaints about the audio... sounds like there is an issue.

I just find it strange that when I did the sound test, it all sounded good. Game audio does not... doesnt even make sense.

#4249 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

How does game audio sound through headphones using the headphone jack?

That is a good question and something I am going to play with when I get home...

#4254 2 years ago

Im going to take a good look at this when I get home. I did have quite a bit to drink that night when I got Wonka haha.

How can you access the speakers? Do the screws by the LE plaque hold the speaker grill in place? I want to make sure nothing is loose and that everything is wired correctly.

Everyone on this forum says it sounds great. Some reviews that I read specifically mention what I am hearing. So im not sure what to think.

#4255 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

How does game audio sound through headphones using the headphone jack?

Funny enough. It was your review that I noticed mentioning the sound having no depth and that the sound files were probably taken from a slot machine...

#4256 2 years ago

Ok so there is definitely an issue with the left speakers. They are distorted, crackly and high pitched. When i disconnect that plug and only have the right speakers connected i can hear a definite sound difference for the better.

Any thoughts? How go I access the speakers?

#4258 2 years ago

Its the left side tweeter. Its distorted and crackly making it sound bad. It almost sounds like its overpowering the other left speaker also

#4261 2 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Contact JJP Support. They have been excellent for the issues I've had here and there since getting mine.

I reached out this morning but havent heard back via online support. Ill call them tomorrow

#4264 2 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

How did you hook up the polk? Was just looking to do this but didn't see a direct plugin. I was planning on running wires from the existing speaker. Is there a butter way?

Ive done it in the past by connecting to the sub under the cabinet.

#4265 2 years ago

I went to try the headphones jack last night but it only gave me sound into one ear. I tried two pairs.. Both were earbuds.

Any thoughts on that?

#4267 2 years ago

Headphone jack module wiring harness is backwards on the module at the front of the game. Turn it around.

Thanks. I will take a look..

#4269 2 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Sound quality-wise I have found WOZ and Hobbit to be very good and no need to enhance or change anything.
However when I got Dialed In I did notice the 'depth' / bass lacking not so much that I made any changes I just put it sown to cabinet changes and not really having a sound score like Hobbit.
Then I got Pirates and the sound was pretty bad (IMHO), it totally lacked depth / bass and was so tinny it was almost offensive to hear!
So I upgraded the sub and popped in a dedicated sub-woofer amp;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07M69K3VS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It transformed the sound on Pirates.
A week ago I took delivery of Wonka and the sound again was not great just like Pirates, this time I just popped in the dedicated sub-woofer amp and that again made a huge improvement far more immersive and with a great bass to the music, speech and sfx.
So much so today I have ordered another amp for my Dialled In.
Its a shame I have to spend more on a £10k machine but I can not abide poor sound.

Interesting.. So for Wonka, all you did was add an amp to the existing sub on the bottom of the cabinet?

#4270 2 years ago

Sound quality-wise I have found WOZ and Hobbit to be very good and no need to enhance or change anything.
However when I got Dialed In I did notice the 'depth' / bass lacking not so much that I made any changes I just put it sown to cabinet changes and not really having a sound score like Hobbit.
Then I got Pirates and the sound was pretty bad (IMHO), it totally lacked depth / bass and was so tinny it was almost offensive to hear!
So I upgraded the sub and popped in a dedicated sub-woofer amp;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07M69K3VS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It transformed the sound on Pirates.
A week ago I took delivery of Wonka and the sound again was not great just like Pirates, this time I just popped in the dedicated sub-woofer amp and that again made a huge improvement far more immersive and with a great bass to the music, speech and sfx.
So much so today I have ordered another amp for my Dialled In.
Its a shame I have to spend more on a £10k machine but I can not abide poor sound.

Also, for Wonka, how did you get the signal to the amp? Looks like it shows RCA's as inputs but I thought the subwoofer in the cabinet ran with speaker wire?

#4273 2 years ago

For this I snipped the subs speaker wires, left enough wire to connect to the amp and then the speaker wires coming from the game simply stripped them and using electrical tape joined them to a cable that has 2 RCAs to connect into the amp.
I may go back and solder it but hey it works and no-one is going to see it.

Very interesting.. Snipping the power line as mentioned in the other post would make me nervous! ha

#4277 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Unplug the game for this.

Lol, I do know that much! hahah

#4278 2 years ago
Quoted from Gumby510:

This is the connector you need to look at. Mine did the same thing and came loose. Reseat that and make sure it’s in those pins.[quoted image]

The J101?

#4280 2 years ago

Ok great thanks. I was looking in the manual earlier and thought that might be what I needed to look at and make sure the pins are correct.

#4281 2 years ago

Now if JJP can get back to me on my speaker issue!

#4283 2 years ago

I made the exact same mistake on my headphone/speaker jack installation on my Wonka SE. (I purchased the kit directly from JJP for my machine). When I ran the wiring harness to the module on the front of my machine, I accidentally plugged J101 in backwards. The harness isn't keyed, so it's easy to do. I only had mono sound coming out of one ear. Flipping the connector the other way fixed the issue.
Looks like someone on the production line made the same error.

Yup, thats the first thing I am going to try. Surprised the connector isnt keyed. I hate unkeyed connectors ha.

#4306 2 years ago

Ok where is JJP on my speaker issue! First ticket Monday, called Tuesday, left messages for two people who Jen told me to reach out to. Again today, then she said she would email them and they would get back to me asap... still nothing.

Where is all this great JJP customer service I have been hearing about?

My frustration is growing..

#4309 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Jen's email is on the tech support thing today.
I don't have an idea on your speaker issue beyond reseating connectors and cleaning RCA connectors and plugging them back in. I don't have access to the ticket desk, and can't send parts. So you are waiting on Steve or Jim.
I am sorry for the delay.

Thanks.. I put in another ticket online this afternoon hoping to get someones attention. I have reseated the connectors (3.5mm). I do not see any RCA connections on this game.

I believe the speaker is defective... Do you happen to know what brand they buy? I also see that a diode is used on the wiring, which I do not have...

#4310 2 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

This was my experience when my ship broke on my POTC a few hours after I unboxed it.
Put in a ticket and didn’t hear anything. Called and eventually got someone but issue wasn’t resolved. Waited for a call back and didn’t get anything. Ended up fixing it myself and sent a summary of how I resolved it.

Well, I cant fix a defective speaker myself haha...

#4311 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Jen's email is on the tech support thing today.
I don't have an idea on your speaker issue beyond reseating connectors and cleaning RCA connectors and plugging them back in. I don't have access to the ticket desk, and can't send parts. So you are waiting on Steve or Jim.
I am sorry for the delay.

I also bought a new 3.5mm cable with hopes it fixes it but I doubt it. I would think that if my issue were something with wiring or connections, it would be happening to both speakers on the left side. I am only hearing an issue with the tweeter on the left.

#4313 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Maybe the missing diode is possibly causing the issue? Problem with your issue is u said it's ok in sound test but sounds off during a game. Hard for anyone to do anything to help bc ...I mean what can u do unless we hear or understand what it sounds like. Can a short video capture what your hearing?

There isnt a missing diode..

This is definitely an issue with the speaker. I am not sure if a video would capture the sound correctly.

#4314 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

There isnt a missing diode..
This is definitely an issue with the speaker. I am not sure if a video would capture the sound correctly.

What I meant was that if I were to buy a speaker myself, I do not have a diode to install..

#4316 2 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Did you buy it directly from JJP? If not, make use of your distributor to take care of these items. IT IS THEIR JOB to support the games after the sales. If they just pass you along to tech support and don't help you, then find a better distributor.

I did not buy directly from JJP. I wanted to contact them to see if they had any solutions besides just shipping out a new speaker. But you are right, I am going to have to get back to my distributor on this and simply request the part instead of diagnosing it with JJP.

#4317 2 years ago

Was emailing with Cliff at Cliffy's... He told me that the Dialed in/WOZ lane protectors fit Wonka.. In case people are interested.

He is trying to work on getting that Wonkavision kickout designed to protect also...

#4390 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I have been working with Cliff on the trough eject/plunger lane cliffys for Wonka (and JJPOTC) the past several days back and forth and his design template is now tuned in perfect and ready to make some for the masses. If you want that cliffy, email Cliff and add your name to the wait list ([email protected]) - Tell him that I sent you . Note that he doesn't have other cliffys for Wonka other than that currently.
Pinball is fun![quoted image]

Thats strange. he told me a week or so ago that the Dialed in/WOZ lane stuff fits Wonka perfectly. I even placed an order with him last week for it.

Edit - This was his description on my invoice from him

DI-EJ2
Dialed In 2pc shooter eject protector set (Wonka)

#4391 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I stopped buying shooter lane ones years ago in place of mylar and haven't had one issue or any damage. However for switch slots under wireforms they are needed and at scoops they are needed. Great product and he has saved many pins.

Mylar is not going to stop the ball from denting the wood with time. Thats the purpose of the metal protectors.. .

#4393 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Yes, I ordered that to start with a couple of weeks ago and had to modify the holes. I had told him originally that I thought it would fit. After I reported back, Cliff said that "close" wasn't good enough and we started tweaking a template back and forth this last week and got it to be perfect. Last night, he had declared the cliffy ready to burn. It will be a stand alone design just for Wonka.
You should probably contact him to see if he already sent the DI one, or was holding off for these results/tweaks. The DI one would require some Dremmel work to get it to fit.

He told me that he was about a month out, but I will double check with him.

Thanks!

#4394 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Yes, I ordered that to start with a couple of weeks ago and had to modify the holes. I had told him originally that I thought it would fit. After I reported back, Cliff said that "close" wasn't good enough and we started tweaking a template back and forth this last week and got it to be perfect. Last night, he had declared the cliffy ready to burn. It will be a stand alone design just for Wonka.
You should probably contact him to see if he already sent the DI one, or was holding off for these results/tweaks. The DI one would require some Dremmel work to get it to fit.

Im also really hoping he gets to making a protector for that wonkavision kickout. That one takes a beating between the skill shot and the wonkavision ramp..

#4395 2 years ago

Speaking of that kickout. Sometimes with a hard shot to the wonkavision, it jumps out of the kickout spot and doesnt register.

Anyone get that from time to time?

#4399 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Very very rare ..maybe 3 times since I've owned it. The game will slow down some once you get some more plays on it. After a fresh wax tho it does speed back up again for a bit.

yea i dont have a lot of plays, maybe 40 - 50 and its happened over 10 times probably. thing is fast! maybe i should tone down the flippers..

#4400 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Well after thousands of plays on them they have no Mark's or indentions. Even the mylar has no Mark's. I also lower the coil eject power to the almost the minimum it needs ....sterns especially have them set way to high stock.
..jjp are usually ok and a lot less damaging then sterns set up.

Yes, I also turn down the level for the eject... and yes, Sterns slam so hard against the lane!

#4402 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

The game sld start to slow down in next 50 plays or so... also depends on your playfield slope...mines at 7.0. I believe I left my flippers stock but I'll check.

I should be at 6.5 but ill give it another look.

#4405 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

that lower angle is y your having it happen more so . Also just checked my flippers and they are stock.

I thought standard was 6.5?

#4408 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

That's where most start and usually the minimum setting. Most people go little more 6.8-7.2... game plays less floaty and just faster overall. I have all my pins at 7.0-7.2 ..bc 6.5 just don't feel right to me. But u can set up any way u want. Also find a little steeper helps issues like your having and less air balls also .

Thanks..

#4413 2 years ago

Question for you guys.

I havent had nearly enough time to start analyzing the rules and such on the game, but can you tell me what makes the Gobstobber ramp diverter divert to the upper left flipper? I feel like half the time (or more) it drops to the upper left and the other times it comes down to the main flippers.

#4416 2 years ago
Quoted from slippifishi:

When the yellow light is on, it's going to divert - this is how I know to be ready or not.
Like Weedlum said, the preference for diversion does seem to be dependent on some modes or shots being active; super lock lit? There's a good chance it will divert, but the factory modes or computer modes like Candy Man or Dots Dots Dots can sometimes override that. Look to the yellow light, it tells you everything you need to know...

Ahhh, ok that would seem to make sense..

Now the dumb question.. Where is the yellow light to look for? I feel like there is so much going on at once, that my eyes spin playing the game haha

#4419 2 years ago
Quoted from slippifishi:

Just to the left of the diverter, above the flipper, a little dome light. It is the only non RGB light on the playfield I think(?), though not sure why.

ok gotcha. thanks..

#4436 2 years ago

Anyone having any issues with code 1.33? Im on 1.31 currently and thought someone mentioned an issue but thats all I heard.

Worth the update?

#4441 2 years ago
Quoted from Gumby510:

I did with wonkavator mb starting immediately and the cut scene is skipped. I rolled it back and I will leave it there for awhile. Others have said they have no issues. So try it out and if you don’t like it roll it back.

What did you roll it back to? I saw that there was a 1.32, but didnt see it on JJP.

#4444 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

No issues with new code and I noticed some small new changes. Also it didn't change wonkavator mb video on mine and its same as it was in prior code versions

Good to know, thanks. Ill most likely give it a try. Its so new to me that I wouldnt notice a difference anyway lol

#4447 2 years ago
Quoted from Gumby510:

Ya give it a try, I just went back to 1.31.

lol why?

#4448 2 years ago
Quoted from Gumby510:

Ya give it a try, I just went back to 1.31.

nevermind. Just realized it was you who mentioned that previously.

#4456 2 years ago

I noticed today that when i shoot the gobstopper ramp and it comes down to the flippers, the ball on the way down hits the metal diverter. Is that normal? It doesnt stop the ball but hits it enough to shake the diverter and housing it seems...

#4469 2 years ago

Figured out my gobstopper diverter issue. The spring is far too loose and it was letting the diverter sit almost all the way down. I didnt realize that I had the issue where the ball was actually going to the upper left flipper far more than it should have because the spring wasnt lifting the diverter as it should.

I basically looped it to the nub further down the spring to make it stronger. Also, someone mentioned here to add a small extension for better leverage. Thats a good idea also. One thing I have to fix is since I have spring hanging off the back of the nub, it is hitting the back of the chocolate factory back and getting slightly stuck.. when one ball runs through, it hits the diverter and it goes up and ball still comes down.. not a huge issue.

But diverter issue essentially fixed.

Does anyone know what kind of replacement spring that would use?

#4482 2 years ago

At least is somewhat gummy bear shaped...