IMG_2445 (resized).jpeg
wonka (resized).jpg
ca1d7f7e-8a2b-4029-af32-f724544015c9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5842.jpeg
IMG_5849.jpeg
IMG_5853.jpeg
IMG_7855 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #149 Deep Dive on features and all that is wonka Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Post #150 SDTM video on Wonka - interview with Pat Lawlor and Joe Katz Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #160 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #188 Rules Flowchart Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #248 Features Matrix - CE, LE, SE Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #554 Early Stream of a home owner who received their game Posted by Habermania (4 years ago)

Post #785 Gobstopper subway VUK not ejecting ball fix Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #793 Gobstopper subway VUK fix pics for reference Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #1130 Latest code changelog Posted by LTG (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinwoofer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7212 3 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Anyone run into this before?

Hey NightTrain

We had something similar on our Wonka but I think you are on the right track with the amplifier board based on what you are describing. Below are some things to look at that might help you to diagnose your issue:

1) Locate the sub speaker wire connector at J104 on the sound board and first inspect the pins carefully to ensure that neither wire is loose in the socket housing. You should be able to pull on both the red and black wires gently and the pins should be firmly locked into the connector and the wires should remain in place.
2) With sound playing, "wiggle" the J104 connector gently and listen for the sub to regain or completely lose its drive. This might indicate a cold solder joint on the J104 header. If the backbox speakers are too loud for you to hear a toggle in the sub speaker, unplug J105 and J016 (left and right backbox speaker lines) and then do the wiggle test.
3) If you have a Pirates of the Caribbean or Guns N' Roses you can swap sound boards and see if the issue tracks the board. If you do this, I'd recommend measuring the DC resistance of the cabinet speaker to ensure it is not somehow shorted out - do this with the speaker wires connected so that you are checking both the speaker and speaker wires as a connected system - you should read either 4 or 8 Ohms depending on the speaker. A shorted wire pair or speaker could have resulted in damage to the amplifier board so keep this in mind before you decide to swap boards.

Finally, have you modified the sound system in any other way? I ask because as you might imagine we run across many cases where guys have burned up their sound board attempting to add incompatible aftermarket electronics to their system.

We'd love to know where this ends up!

-Dan
PinWoofer

#7215 3 years ago
Quoted from smoke20:

Hey all...this is just a miscellaneous random comment. I have a JP Premium and WWLE next to each other. Have had both for 3 months. While there is certainly a difference in price, in my opinion (and that is supported by the play at my house) the WWLE is a much smoother, entertaining, and much more satisfying game. JP has long clanking up and down shots. I am much more pleased with this game than I thought I would be. I really feel the on-line videos (no matter how well they are done) just don't do the game justice, and I think it may come down to the sounds the game makes. In real life, everything actually sounds great...and seems appropriate for the theme...and I have yet to tire of any aspect of this game.
Oh, I do have a question. When I power up the game and it is going through the boot-up, I hear a very very loud audible crackle apparently when the amp comes to life. It is as if there was somebody inside actually plugging in the pre-amp signal to a live amp. JP is silent upon boot-up. Just wondering.

The "pop" at the ~10s mark is generated by the mother board headphone output (that routes to the amplifier board), and not the amplifier itself. harryhoudini has a gizmo that gates the lines until after that event for guys who can't live with it. It won't hurt anything and every JJP title I've ever seen does this.

11 months later
#10484 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

I just finished installing the Pinwoofer JJP Super kit in my Wonka LE. I'm genuinely impressed with the quality of the components, especially their PCB and wiring. Instalation was pretty straightforward, and everything fit.
The only other game that I've bothered with the audio on is my IJTPA. The factory speakers and sound on the original machine sounded weak and anemic compared to my Stern and CGC games. The transformation on Wonka was on par. I've heard things from the few games I've subsequently played tonight that I've never heard before from Wonka. The only complaint I had about Wonka prior to tonight was the sound: that is no longer the case.
TLDR: I won't rush out to do this mod on every game. For Willy Wonka, however, I think it is worth the time and money.

Great outcome gorditas ! Wonka has such an amazing balance of the movie's nostalgia and modern touches, and you know you've added PinWoofer from the second you plunge the ball. Hopefully you know exactly what I'm talking about! What a great title and what a stellar audio track - JJP really did a nice job with. Have fun and our sincere thanks!

https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-jjp-super-kit/

3 weeks later
#10728 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I'm finding the sound to be fine compared to a Stern but a little underwhelming when compared to Dialed In. No bass, and while not "tinny" it doesn't sound very full either. To have a premium sound system and not have it sound premium is a little disappointing.

Greetings @arcyallen!

The soundtrack on Wonka has amazing potential, but the stock hardware falls woefully short. PinWoofer unlocks this potential and we've had great feedback on Wonka; you'll get tons of bass out of the cabinet, but equally important, you'll also get a much fuller backbox and you'll hear new detail. Perhaps some others might chime in who have taken the Wonka plunge with PinWoofer.

Anyway, give me a shout if you want to talk about your audio and have a stellar day!

Thanks,

Dan
https://PinWoofer.com
[email protected]
+1 208-855-0346, 9am - 5pm MST, Mon - Fri

2 months later
#11434 1 year ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

Update on sound quality - super impressed by the Pinwoofer kit. I chose their "DIY amplifier" and their tweeters (i.e. I didn't replace the cabinet speaker) and I'm totally pleased. With their "DIY" kit, there's no big cable harness or amplifier box to deal with in the cabinet; just a direct replacement amplifier and a board-mounted power supply - slick! https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-jjp-diy-amplifier/
It took a lot of settings tweaking between the amplifier and the service menu to get it where I wanted it, but I think I found the sweet spot. My final settings were not very similar to the recommended ones on the Pinwoofer website.

Great outcome Travahontas !

Our DIY is turnkey by design; I placed the mounting holes to line-up exactly with the factory JJP mounts, so the new amplifier is a drop-in replacement and you'll re-use the six screws. In your case I believe you had zero wire cuts or crimps - 100% plug and play with only a few nut-driver turns. There are three speaker quick connects, the audio input and power connect. The tweeters are also quick connect and require only minutes to install.

The trade-off with the DIY is that the controls are in the backbox enclosure so you'll have to make tone and level adjustments prior to closing things up. The DIY is somewhat inconvenient in the long-term compared to the Knockout, which places the controls at the coin box location. But, the DIY price-point is lower and in terms of the improvement to your audio the results are stellar.

OK, have fun and thanks for the shout-out!

Thanks,

Dan
[email protected]

JJP DIY (resized).jpgJJP DIY (resized).jpg
#11441 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Is there a subwoofer connectin on this DIY version?

Hey Rager170 - yes, there is a pro level line out mini-jack located at the lower-left hand side of the amp. The line trimmer is something that might make things more convenient since it allows you to control the level of your external at the coin door location:

https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-line-trimmer/

Using the DIY with the line trimmer requires a longer cable to route from the backbox to the front of the machine:

https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-12ft-3-5mm-male-trs-to-male-trs-stereo-audio-cable/

Good times!

PW-LT (resized).jpgPW-LT (resized).jpgPW-LT-LO (resized).jpgPW-LT-LO (resized).jpg
#11446 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Thanks!
I just placed an order. I left out the line trimmer for now but can always add later. Very excited to see the difference. I have been complaining about the sound quality since the first day I received it.

Thank you - I'm sure you'll enjoy the upgrade.

2 months later
#11891 1 year ago
Quoted from phill2cb:

If you don’t mind, what do you have your Pinwoofer amp dials set to? And did you change any of the menu sound settings? I have a problem with constantly tinkering with things and have been messing with my dials for about a month to get it just perfect.
Here’s my current settings with the gain dial set to 2 o’clock. I didn’t change any system settings and try to keep the volume range between 20 - 30.
[quoted image]

Greetings phill2cb ! The link provided by Rager170 was the correct one for basic settings. However, considering your comments, it might help if you gave me a quick call. I'm sure there are some simple things we can do to break you lose.

Thanks,

Dan
[email protected]

#11902 1 year ago
Quoted from waveform:

I also picked up a PinWoofer JJP Super Kit for my LE a couple months ago. It took me just a couple hours following the instructions to install with no significant issues or challenges working slowly through it. I think the price and effort were entirely worth it for giving me a cleanly packaged system with a lot more control of the overall audio performance of the game than the factory setup. However, the issues with Wonka are deep enough that Pinwoofer as it is designed isn't going to be able to fix everything to my ideal results. I could imagine a theoretical Pinwoofer amp upgrade that gave us a few fully parametric bands of equalization, separated for the cabinet speaker vs. backbox speakers, allowing someone to tweak things in a little better (but probably jacking up the cost a good bit and burying most people in way too many knobs that it'd take a decent understanding of equalization to put to use while not making the machine sound even worse), but the real issues for me beyond the things that Pinwoofer improves (the speakers/amp) are in the samples and audio playback/mixing code in the game where no amp/eq/speakers can fix them. Also, the Pinwoofer system doesn't prevent the few loud startup/shutdown pops in audio - it actually kinda makes them louder (but they sound fuller/nicer) depending on how much the amp is turned up. Still, for anyone that isn't too concerned by the price that wants a self contained clean way to step up the audio a bit, I think Pinwoofer is a good option. I considered doing something more DIY, have tried hooking up subs and studio monitors to my Wonka, and I like the Pinwoofer solution better than those approaches for myself (studio monitors don't sound/feel like a pinball machine and made all the issues in the audio mixing more obvious, and the external sub didn't help with the harsh factory backbox tweeters).

It's great to get some expert (measured) feedback and you've touched on some important points, mastery being the key and no software EQ. The PinWoofer amp provides some basic control which is enough for most guys. I have an EQ drawn up, but we don't know if it is really worth brining it out since there are other commercially available options out there.

Thanks for the notes and we sincerely appreciate your well written commentary!

#11914 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Good to know. I am most likely going to install mine today. Looking forward to the upgraded sound. Will post my thoughts once I install and get to play around.

Please note our JJP DIY Amp mounts to the factory standoff locations (i.e., it replaces the factory amplifier card) so you'll need to make adjustments prior to closing up the backbox. The results are the same as our Knockout amplifier offering; the DIY is the same amplifier, just a re-step to fit the factory mounts. The DIY comes with a bit of a convenience loss because of its mounting location compared to our KO amplifier which resides in the coin box location and is easily accessible.

Our recommended starting point for adjustments is here:

https://pinwoofer.com/blog/pinwoofer-jersey-jack-pinball-willy-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory-amplifier-settings/

The DIY links are below (it is strongly recommended that you add a set of tweeters, included at free-play.se):

https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-jjp-diy-amplifier/
https://www.free-play.se/produkter/ljud/pinwoofer/pinwoofer-diy-do-it-yourself-jjp-kit.html

The KO link is below (tweeters included for Wonka):

Thanks,

Dan
[email protected]

JJP DIY SM (resized).jpgJJP DIY SM (resized).jpg
#11917 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Also to note, I did not receive a black cover for this either, as your picture shows...

Rager170 - 12 o'clock is halfway between fully counterclockwise and fully clockwise (that is, the "clock like" position looking straight at the control).

If it's quiet, you can increase the backbox, treble and master volume levels. These are the third, second and lowest controls with respect to the bottom, in that order. After that you can increase the service menu volume at the coin door as much as you like. It will get as loud as you can probably tolerate.

If you cannot locate the cover, we'll send a replacement.

Please give me a call at 208-855-0346 if you have any additional questions or issues.

Thanks!

Dan

#11920 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Great, thanks Dan! I played around a bit and got it sounding much better. I did notice that my callouts were very quiet, so I had to bump up the speech mix to 75. Also, is it normal to have the machine sound level at 36 to be at a "normal" volume? The gain on the DIY controller is about 3/4th of the way and wasnt sure how high that should sit.

My pleasure Rager170 ! The recommended settings are those which we have developed directly, or from trusted customer sources. So, if you need to "season" your settings go for it.

waveform did a great mix (menu) itemized summary on the last page in case you missed it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside/page/238#post-7025249

You can set the sound level of the machine to whatever you like. Please be aware that some of the mix settings can introduce clipping when set to an extremely high value.

Your amplifier controls can be set to any level, just keep in mind that the Bass Freq can introduce a lot of high bass when set > 12 or 1 o'clock. (High bass can sound quite "boomy" and unpleasant.)

The Bass vol should be set on the higher end since bass requires more energy from the amp.

From your image I think your bass settings are good (upper two controls).

A good general adjustment strategy is to change one thing at a time and if it sounds worse, go back. If it sounds better, keep it.

Have fun and give a shout if you need anything else (best to call, email or PM for a quicker response).

Thanks,

Dan
[email protected]

1 month later
#12108 1 year ago

Greetings everyone!

Thought I'd jump in and mention we are having a promotional discount of 20% on our JJP Super Kit.

JJP Super Kit Flash Sale:

-JJP Super Kits 20% off
-Coupon Code "PW_AUG_2020_JJP"
-Limited number available with discount (if the code don't work, its over)
-Offer valid until Midnight 8/15/22 or when the coupon limit is reached, which ever happens first
-Web orders only, applies to domestic or international orders

The single, best thing you can do for your JJP title.

Have a great Sunday!

Thanks,

Dan
[email protected]

KO (resized).pngKO (resized).pngPinWoofer PW-JJP-SPK amplifier connections (resized).jpgPinWoofer PW-JJP-SPK amplifier connections (resized).jpg
#12139 1 year ago
Quoted from gorditas:

After the upgrade, Wonka is the total package that is now my favorite game.

Quoted from Sugar:

I guess their ears are the evidence.

Quoted from Travahontas:

I was extremely disappointed in the audio until I installed the pinwoofer amp and tweeters. Night and day IMHO.

The 1970's mono music from the film is a bit thin and there is not much improvement to be had, but there is some. The vast majority of the title's track has a significant level of complexity and quality that you simply will not hear with the stock setup and even adding an external sub does not get you very far. The new music and effects are stellar and there is huge potential within Wonka that we unlock. Add PinWoofer and you'll know it from the second you plunge the first ball.

Good times!

Thanks,

Dan
[email protected]

PinWoofer PW-JJP-SPK super kit (resized).jpgPinWoofer PW-JJP-SPK super kit (resized).jpg
#12141 1 year ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

Dan I’m curious - if I had to point fingers at the problem I’d be looking immediately at the midrange driver. Yet your kit upgrades the woofer and tweeter but not the mid. Is that because it’s a sealed basket driver which would be difficult to source? Or do you find that driver itself is fine once powered with your amplifier?
The game doesn’t seem to be bass-heavy in the music so I’m wondering if just adding the external amp would suffice as an upgrade…

Hey Good-Times !

Exactly - the latter - amp + tweeters are enough, and the added power in the cabinet helps to fill the high-bass and low-midrange domain.

The factory midrange drivers are of good quality having decent cone and surround materials, and there is a quickly diminishing benefit to trying to upgrade (there are upgraded models out there that fit, but we tried only one). Also, they are extremely hard to swap out and for the small benefit that a better driver might yield, we deemed the extreme effort for the customer versus audible benefit not worth pursuing.

Regarding bass - the effects and music are where the bass shines the most on Wonka. It starts with the plunge of the ball, and you can actually hear the cabinet bass during the music passages. You'll be excited to hear the attract music too. JJP really does a nice job with the audio master, but you just can't hear it with the stock setup. A lot of guys also add an external sub, but I've heard that it's not that impressive on Wonka. I think you'll get all you need from the standard kit.

Hope that helps!

#12146 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Are there installation instructions for your kit somewhere? I'm really thinking about upgrayedding Wonka.

Hey zaphX ! Yes, please see below:

This is a new video from HurryUpPinball and he plans to make the video public today, and remove the draft note in the title.

Here is the kit for Wonka:

Thanks,

Dan
[email protected]

#12148 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Thanks, this helps me understand the kit better. It basically replaces the entire audio system from the PC output on.
I have a couple of questions:
1. I'd want the installation to be reversible for purists - is removing the grille under the old sub strictly required?
2. Can the amp be installed somewhere else, so the coin box can still be used?

I've had guys say the speaker grille removal is unnecessary (they left it in) with no audible result during gameplay so perhaps removal is not required. If you do remove it, replacements are available so you might simply install a new one ($10-15).
-The cabinet speaker upgrade requires you to snip the wires and add new crimps for the upgraded speaker, but I would consider this reversable.
-The new tweeters have quick connects so 100% reversable.
-The original machine speaker wires are utilized with the PinWoofer kit, so they simply plug back to the factory amp card.
-The power board is easily removed.

So, I'd say 100% reversable without a trace.

You can mount the amp aft of the coin box fin. Keep in mind that the coin box might rattle a bit but there are things you can dream up to mitigate that.

Hope that helps!

Dan

#12150 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Oh yeah one more question, is "output" on that amp line-level? I stream, and it would be really convenient to grab the game output there.

The KO+ amplifier output is pro level, so it is "hot" compared to standard consumer level which is likely what you are looking for. So, we strongly recommend adding our Line Trimmer gadget which gives you control over the level sent to your streaming device input (same goes for an external sub). Start with the level out at zero and increase until you have a measured / clean input during your livestream.

You can use the master volume on the amp to turn down the level of the machine without affecting the level to your streaming device (because the amplifier ouput is derived from the preamp, but the master volume controls the game level only).

If you want to substitute the 12ft cable out from TRS to RCA, to TRS to TRS, please make a note in your order or PM me so we know.

Below is the stand-alone item link with the complete write-up, but you can add it to your kit when you order and get a bit of a discount:

https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-line-trimmer/

Great question!

PW-LT - Cartoon (resized).jpgPW-LT - Cartoon (resized).jpgPW-LT - Kit (resized).jpgPW-LT - Kit (resized).jpgPW-LT - Use Model (resized).jpgPW-LT - Use Model (resized).jpg
#12152 1 year ago
Quoted from mstang01:

I’d been meaning to ask (and still didn’t understand from this answer) why is the line trimmer a must with the external sub? I think I just ordered the line trimmer for my wonka kit, but I’ve got a spike kit that came with one of my pins where i attached the sub to the sub out on the card in the back box. Should I have done that differently?

Hey mstang01 - thanks for the question.

The SUB_OUT jack on the Spike-2 backbox line out board is consumer level. So, what you have described (for the Spike-2 machine you have acquired) is perfectly fine and works great if you jack into SUB_OUT as you have done. You are good to go on that machine.

What you ordered for Wonka is exactly what is recommended for JJP since there is no other sub output option inherent to the machine (attempting to "split" the motherboard output signal between more than one device creates a lot of attenuation and is not an option). Using the PinWoofer amplifier output, which is pro level / "hotter", requires the use of the line trimmer to avoid clipping / overdrive conditions (at high volumes) and it also allows for more fine control of the input level to an external device. The usable range of the ext sub volume control will be much greater as well.

Hope that helps - always happy to answer questions. Reach out any time.

As an aside, there is now enough drive on our amplifier output to split the signal in case guys want to get elaborate and run multiple external devices. For example, streaming, satellite speakers, external sub, etc. I have not tried splitting it more than once but that is a possibility. For now, let's say that it can be split once. So, if someone wants to run more than one line trimmer, that is a possibility. We plan to rev our TRS splitter board in the near future for this purpose.

1 week later
#12246 1 year ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

ArcadeBar inspired me to document my Wonka sound settings with the PinWoofer DIY kit I'm so fond of. I've included the settings and the recommendations that come with the kit so you can compare and contrast - I'm sure neither theirs nor mine are the best, but they are both something to try!
[quoted image]

Great presentation Travahontas - we really like how you documented your settings!

1 month later
#12441 1 year ago
Quoted from brooklynknight:

...One thing that took me by surprised was when I had decided to upgrade the speakers including the tweeters with Pinwoofer. Once I dialed it in, I was blown away as I honestly thought I was wasting my $$,as Willy Wonka is not necessarily known for its sound. However the clarity of the voices and the sounds (including the solid and not overbearing bass) I can now hear that I did not prior is day and night. I thought it could be a placebo effect until my wife jumped on and could care less about sound and made a comment on how much better it sounded...

Great outcome brooklynknight !

Anyone can reach out to me with questions - happy to help!

Thanks,

Dan
[email protected]
+1 208-855-0346, 9am - 5pm MT, Mon - Fri

JJP SPK (resized).jpgJJP SPK (resized).jpg
2 months later
#12651 1 year ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Oh, thank god. I suspected the poor sound had a lot to do with eq settings since it had been said JjP actually uses decent speakers. Is this update live or in beta/limited release?

Greetings jackd104 - I appreciate your post and others.

We've been mentioned a few times and I wanted to jump in to add some of my perspective. I'm just going to go for it, so thanks for the opportunity to do so!

In general, talking about the factory speakers and amp, and then EQ and mastery:

Starting with the factory tweeters, they can be had for about $4 apiece. The construction is Mylar (polyethylene / plastic film). Mylar is low cost and highly efficient, and often used in mass-produced audio (automotive / marine) because it produces lots of output per unit power to better compete with ambient noise. This is at the expense of quality. The solution is to use a high-quality and oversized textile dome tweeter which are widely agreed to produce better results.

The factory woofer may be one of three types which are all run of the mill, and low cost. Woofer looks can be quite deceiving; a big magnet and attractive decal do not make for a superior outcome. Our solution is to use a 2Ω DVC speaker for increased power draw from the amp and a tight suspension design for improved impact and sustain. For this you'll need an amp capable of driving a 2Ω load.

The 4in mid woofers in the backbox are however, of decent quality (poly cone / rubber surround) so we recommend keeping them in play. (This is fortunate because they are incredibly difficult to replace.)

There are some obvious platform challenges since the mid woofers are upward facing and reflected off metal plates forward, which tends to wash out (modify) the upper mids and low highs, so oversized tweeters will better balance the backbox sound field.

Next, the factory amplifier is lacking due to its design (minimal power bussing, low decoupling, derated, no heat sinks, etc.). So regardless of the settings, you a working with what amounts to an amplifier you might find in a flat panel TV. A consequence is that there's insufficient reserves to both hit the woofer and to provide good dynamic range to the backbox.

The software EQ should help the factory setup, but the limiter will be the factory amp. I've never been a fan of DSP in audio because of the graininess and exacting corners those algos seem to produce. Something that might be explored is an off the shelf analog EQ in-line with the audio feed to the amp.

Finally, the mastery can lead to some dissatisfaction. The JJP source audio is probably the best in the business which makes sense, having a PC, tons of storage and RAM. However, comments here indicate that there is room for improvement. The 1970's movie track is thin, and there are some "boomy" elements to the modern track that are challenging to manage when upgrading the audio hardware. So, one needs to decide if they want to lift the bar with an audio upgrade knowing that the track is not perfect. My take of course, is yes, it is worth it and the feedback for Wonka has been overwhelmingly positive.

OK, again I just wanted to offer some perspective since we've been mentioned here recently.

Have a great day everyone!

Thanks,

Dan
[email protected]

JJP SPK (resized).jpgJJP SPK (resized).jpg
#12664 1 year ago

We had a double tap on Black Friday (two kits purchased for the same machine) which means we have one new in box kit available at 10% off in case anyone is interested:

Code: BF2022_JJP_DT
Singe Use
Terms: 10% off JJP Super Kit Purchase
Expires: 12/22/22

Have fun and play pinball!

2 weeks later
#12703 1 year ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Any more codes left?

To our amazing pinball community - have a happy and prosperous 2023!

Thanks,

Dan
[email protected]

New Years 2022 (resized).jpgNew Years 2022 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#12807 1 year ago
February 2023 Sale (resized).jpgFebruary 2023 Sale (resized).jpg
3 months later
#13059 10 months ago

Hey Guys! Since we were mentioned a few times.

The JJP Super Kit comes with our signature amplifier, power solution, harness, tweeters and woofer + mounting ring.

Wonka has amazing potential, but the factory hardware does not do the track justice. The below link and QR code lead to the JJP PinWoofer kit for Wonka:

We're in OK shape for the next 24-48 hours, but we expect to go on backorder until the 23rd of June. If you can't wait, I'd recommend getting your order in.

Thanks!

Dan
[email protected]

JJP Super Kit (resized).jpgJJP Super Kit (resized).jpg
#13061 10 months ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

PinWoofer any fathers day discounts available ?

We've created a 5% off JJP super kit coupon and enabled a tiny number of uses. (We can't do this for Stern or other platforms, only for a limited JJP offer.)

Coupon Code: "JJP_5PCT_24HOURS_LIMITED_QUANTITY"
Terms: 5% off JJP Super Kits
Expires: 6/13/23 midnight or after the limited number of coupons have been used, or inventory levels prevent coupon use.

If the coupon code does not work, the offer has expired.

OK, good luck!

Thanks,

Dan

#13064 10 months ago
Quoted from TheBananaPeel69:

me too. game changer. i unfortunately ended up with a DIY version. spend the $ and get the external amp u can put up front.
that, voodoo glass, and pinstadiums for the wonka win

Quoted from Rager170:

Why do you feel its necessary to spend more on the external amp? Im glad i didnt. Once mine was set, ill never touch it again. Also didnt want that amp in the way of the coinbox.

Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

I just ordered the diy amp too. I like the back box install. More of a factory look

Fun to watch the debate on backbox versus coin box location; some want easy access to the amp controls, and some don't care (the DIY is a chore to access). The good news, our in-house designed amplifiers are a game changer compared to the factory offering.

In terms of the electronics, the DIY and Knockout Plus are identical (different steps of the same schematic), so you'll get great sound no matter your choice. Our speaker upgrade is vital (in particular our tweeters) and they are the best you can get for JJP.

Next, a few PinWoofer amps undressed. Appearance won't always tell the story, but I think the effort we've put into our amps is clear. We use the best materials possible; SMT, large decoupling caps, custom heat sink, extensive ground plane / polygons, thermal vias, and a high-end enclosure for our Plus Series Amps. We have invested heavily in our electronics and offer what we think is most well-designed audio hardware upgrade possible.

OK, just a fun look inside. Have a great day, and thanks for your attention!

Thanks,

Dan
[email protected]

JJP DIY (resized).jpgJJP DIY (resized).jpgPWAmpsF (resized).jpgPWAmpsF (resized).jpg
#13066 10 months ago
Quoted from TheBananaPeel69:

I think it's because i was having a tough time dialing in Wonka in particular. Especially just a couple days ago when i originally wrote it.
You inspired me to try again, and I just did last night, though, and here's my suggestions:
1. See if you can get the beta code so you can get the audio equalizer. [email protected]. Email them ask to be added to the Wonka beta (b14 is where they are at right now). They send you access to Telegram to discuss the beta. Use ethernet! It's a billion times faster.
2. Make the adjustments to the sound settings in menu as Dan recommends. Keep equalizer flat
3. Plug your iphone/phone/high end audio player into the amp's input, find a bunch of tracks you like the mix of, and adjust the amplifier settings to make that sound great. A note, use the backbox volume knob to balance out the subwoofer and the backbox tweeters. More bass, lower backbox vol, and vice versa.
4. I went into the new audio equalizer and selected the "bass boost."
Wonka is weird compared to Foo and Godzilla, the machines I have Pinwoofers in that are more modern. It's got GREAT audio but the mix between bass and treble is goofy, in my opinion, even when i had it dialed in to the non-Wonka audio source sound.
Without the bass boost on the eq, i felt like it was too much high end stuff. Like the bass filter had this hard line, if you went too far one way it sounded mid heavy, and too far the other it sounded like there was no bass. But the adjustments were MUCH more subtle with non-wonka audio.
Now that i'm dialed in, i don't need to adjust it, you're right. And the idea that someone (or me) could bump the settings on an external amp stinks, so I technically would prefer something more untouchable. Also, while you are testing your settings on external amp, you probably have the coin door open so it modifies how the bass sounds.
So, in all, DIY is probably best as it stays away from hands.

Great points.

Making adjustments with a music player is a clever technique.

If you increase the slider levels on the EQ it can serve to create a "hot" signal to the amp input and that can lead to clipping. So, we recommend leaving them flat and if you feel like more is needed, change one at a time and in small amounts so as not to overshoot.

Also, I don't think there is a lot of risk to bumping the controls. It might depend on the creativity of whomever gets into your coin door though, which is why I tend to keep the keys separate, especially when there are kids around. The Knockout is by far the more popular of the two and we've not received any feedback that the controls are accidentally changed but I suppose it could happen.

Thanks for your comments!

#13102 10 months ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

Alright, I’m a PinWoofer believer now.
I have the DIY Amp and tweeter combo. Right after install I went with the pinsound recommended starting point and was disappointed at the volume level as it was very quiet, much worse than the factory set up. So I tried Trumpanche’s settings and it got a little better. Then I started messing with the knobs myself and holy crap! Just a slight turn on the back box volume and I was in business. As far as the sub, Even with the factory sub I was able to get more than adequate bass without any distortion or clipping. (It would be nice to have a chart of the approx frequency at what knob position for the bass cut off freq. )
The back box vs the coin door amp mount. It would have been nice to have the coin door mounted amp for initial set up. But after getting it dialed in you can absolutely just set it and forget it.
I might have to add the PinWoofer sub now.

Hey Mrsiyufy !

Sorry for the slow response but I see you figured it out.

Our cabinet woofer is far superior to what's in the factory setup and while what you did is a great start, it is probably worth upgrading. You will hear a difference.

Once you setup the DIY it seem like you can live with the settings since it is difficult to access. We have not sold many of the JJP DIY comparatively, and I have received feedback that the lack of access to the controls is a regret. The Knockout Plus on the other hand has been solid on the JJP platform. By the time you are into a full DIY setup with speakers you are not far from the KOP amp dollar-wise.

A word of caution, our tweeter upgrade is vital. I'd even say don't upgrade the amp unless you also upgrade the tweeters.

Have fun buddy!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,600 (OBO)
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinwoofer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside?tu=pinwoofer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.