IMG_5853.jpeg
IMG_7855 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7951 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6910 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7506 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7465 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8062 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #149 Deep Dive on features and all that is wonka Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Post #150 SDTM video on Wonka - interview with Pat Lawlor and Joe Katz Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #160 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #188 Rules Flowchart Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #248 Features Matrix - CE, LE, SE Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #554 Early Stream of a home owner who received their game Posted by Habermania (4 years ago)

Post #785 Gobstopper subway VUK not ejecting ball fix Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #793 Gobstopper subway VUK fix pics for reference Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #1130 Latest code changelog Posted by LTG (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider naf_llabnip.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7413 3 years ago

Hi everybody, this is my "first time, long time" post. I have read all 149 pages of postings in this forum / thread. And wow, what a great community of folks that help each other out. That alone (knowing ALL pinball machines are going to have problems) gave me confidence to take the plunge and buy my VERY first NIB game: a Wonka SE (which was a stretch for me, love the theme and luckily my wife does as well which sealed the deal). I bought it without ever seeing one in person, but knew I would love it. Purchased from Jason at Classic Gamerooms in Georgia (I'm in Austin, Texas but could not locate any NIB SEs within driving distance).

So my machine arrived this Tuesday via Central Freight at 7PM. The box was in perfect shape (delivery guy was fantastic, he seemed surprised it arrived in such good shape, he personally helped me inspect every square inch of the box to be sure there were no visible issues). I have a two-story home, so I left it in the garage overnight and knew I would have to get creative with getting it upstairs (I'm cheap and stubborn as well). Two months ago I had a disk issue in my back that prevented me from even being able to sit in a chair. Fast forward to now ... my wife's back went out trying to get the thing up the first step on our stairs, so we regrouped. Long story short, I managed to get that machine (which my wife swore must be a cardboard box full of anvils) all the way up our stairs by myself using a winch I removed from a boat trailer and rigged up to a ladder wedged in a door frame, with the strap attached to an appliance dolly I used as a "sled" for the pinball machine. Real redneck engineering, but it got the job done (although the process was terrifying).

Finally the big reveal came, opened the box, unpacked everything, and wow, haven't been this excited in decades. This machine is beautiful inside and out. Mine arrived with a yellow paint mark on the glass which I saw was from the Gobstopper toy (I remember seeing that before), but no issue there (nobody will ever know unless they get out a darned microscope). And there were a couple of minor blemishes by the flipper buttons from being tightened, although I put black protectors in that area so no issue for me at all. The machine did have some errors when powered up, ALL ultimately which wound up being simple plugs unplugged (three of 'em) ... which I was totally prepared for thanks to this forum.

Note that my machine was "born on" 2/12/2020. The playfield is absolutely spectacular. I do not see any of the dreaded issues that impacted customers previously with older playfields. I certainly don't blame anyone for wanting perfection, especially for those who purchased the higher-priced units. But regardless, I also saw that Jersey Jack stands behind their products and again, this forum gave me confidence in that.

So after turning it on and fixing the errors, I played 3 games. 7 of the 9 balls drained on the left side, and I immediately knew I was going to need to "cheat" and install the additional pin in the playfield (which I swear 47 different people have asked "what's up with the extra hole" / blah blah blah). After that, my very next game I gathered a Golden Ticket, scored 500K no problem, and was afraid I made it too easy. And then my next game I scored about 5,000 points total, and am now seeing that this is an incredible but very tough game. Which I plan to keep forever, so that works out well for me.

Finally I want to mention that I have already bought lots of mods (Mod Couple, Lermods, and others), also already bought and installed the shaker motor, and man these improvements really are fun to do and add lots to the game. Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone for this amazing treasure trove of information. And I know when (not if) I encounter some screwball situation or error, no doubt I'll have a great group that can assist, and I'll try to pay that forward as well. Happy Friday to all, time to enjoy some pinball!

#7464 3 years ago
Quoted from Kidkoffee:

Just edited my post, but mine works with the rubber just fine. Definitely could be true if he has a bigger ring on his though.

Same here, I installed the cheater post (upper position, "super cheater", thinking about moving it to the lower one though), all I did was slide the original rubber on the center post down a bit (below the main groove) so it contacts the ball at a lower point. No issues with the ball hanging, and it still has a nice bounce from either post when it contacts the rubber. I do wonder if eventually that bit of rubber will stay put since it isn't in the groove; time will tell. But certainly just removing the rubber from the middle (to the right of the cheater) would ensure no balls are stuck.

#7473 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

In the Upper cheat post position there is no issue. In the Lower position as the poster shows the rubbers are to close together and will hang up the ball unless you remove a rubber or go with the smaller rubber nut option.

Interesting, mine definitely was hanging with the upper cheater post position installed (see first photo). But I realized I did not put on the washer (wasn't sure if I wanted to keep the post in that position and didn't want any contact with the playfield), but I now see that the washer elevates the post just enough to eliminate the binding issue (but wow that is a tight fit for the ball, but yep it does clear).

In other news, I've got a box of ModCouple toys heading my way, can't wait to check 'em out ... at least in the photos the little factory looks A-mazin'

#7474 3 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Only other thing I want to do is adding some bass to the game...perhaps a Pinwoofer system is next.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks pretty sweet, well done sir! I hear you on the Pinwoofer thing. As a new owner and having read back through this entire thread's messages, I saw lots of discussion about the sound quality for the machine ... and I thought I would be fine with the stock setup, but absolutely needs some more ooomph in the audio department (low frequencies anyway), so an inexpensive external woofer will be coming soon.

#7488 3 years ago

Now that I have the left "cheater post" installed in the upper position, the outlane drains feel pretty balanced. But I noticed that the right lane has an upper post that looks adjustable, and from the factory comes in the most "difficult" setting. Anyone played with that right lane post adjustment (lowering should make it "easier")?

#7492 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Man I dont know... are you sure your game is setup right and level? I never once have thought to add stuff to mine to make it easier.
If you want more ball time just put it on 5 or 10 ball if need be or ideally learn how to nudge and work the ball.
Its a hard game but not let me re-design the game hard.
Its pretty perfect where it is... its not Ghostbusters which is just a terrible design and needs the help to be playable.

I hear ya: play better! My game works great at about a 7 degree incline, flipper strength perfect at the factory settings, only adjustment I made was a slight boost to the slingshots strength. My nudge skills are terrible, so certainly agree that is the best (and most fun) place to focus ... play the game, right!

But in this case I'm not talking about adding something to make the game easier; I was asking about what appears to be an adjustable post above the right outlane. Just like there are difficulty settings in the menus, you can adjust the coil settings, etc ... from the factory you can adjust the playfield by design. I have seen umpteen messages about the left post, but didn't recall seeing any discussion about adjusting the right post. Not planning on messing with it, just wondering about the experience of others with that.

#7497 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Thanks to you Ian and Mike. Much appreciated! Yeah, looks like I'll miss by 1-1.5 inches...thinking I can sand down the ceiling

I was thinking you just need to drill 4 holes in the floor a couple of inches, but whatever works!

Seriously, congrats, CEs are just beautiful, LOVE my SE for the money but certainly if the budget is there the LEs and CEs are worth it. Truly a special game and one that I think will stand the test of time.

#7499 3 years ago
Quoted from I_See_Pin_People:

I put in the left Outlane post and dropped the right Outlane posts. Both of them. I have kids and a lot of family that enjoy playing, I'm not about to make this game any harder and make it less enjoyable for new players. For now, I'm happy with how we have it set up. You can always change it back!

Good to know, figured somebody out there must have played around with it ... I noticed last night what you said: there are TWO adjustables on the right side. I'll enjoy my game as-is for now, but nice to know it can be adjusted to best meet the needs of the player. Yep I'm sure the whole family can appreciate it, nephews cannot wait (just waiting for a better COVID situation) to play it!

#7505 3 years ago
Quoted from rodcom:

Here is the picture[quoted image]

Thanks DaddyManD and @rodcom, yep good info to know from the manual (if all else fails, read the directions, still working on that one!). Since I plan on keeping this game for good, I decided to bump my "cheat post" on the left to the lower instead of upper position. Funny enough the ball clears for me with the rubber slid up on the post for the center-lane divider (so I still have rubber on both posts, I know that is not the experience of others but works on my machine although just barely). And funny enough for my very first ball to test I doubled my previous high scoring game, go figure. Just loving the game, now fully going down the mod path.

#7507 3 years ago

Posting this in case it can help others. So the first mod that I ordered for the game was a set of pinblades (well, actually PinGraffix which I bought via eBay). I read on the forums how to install these, and watched videos, and to say I was concerned about getting a clean install is an understatement. But somewhere earlier I read a post by somebody who said they simply removed the entire playfield, didn't have to disconnect anything, and that they (with help) set it on sawhorses right to the side of the machine and then had full easy access to the inside of the cabinet.

I paid close attention to the margins on either side of the playfield, and they literally scrape when raising and lowering the playfield (not the actual playfield sides, but the upper clear ramps on the left side of the machine drag the edges, and there isn't any way to adjust those to get out of the way). I saw the solutions for the plastic shields you can insert each time you raise the playfield, but felt those were pricey and was not confident I could even squeeze them in. Plus just one more thing to worry about and store somewhere. I saw another post from someone who lined the edges of their playfield with felt, so I went that route. Plus I lined the edges of the plastic ramps so they would slide smoothly.

Since my wife has bad back trouble at the moment (due to trying to help me get the machine upstairs), I "had" to figure out how to remove the playfield by myself, and found a super easy solution. I propped up the front of the machine to lessen the angle a bit. Then I raised the playfield up and set the front overhanging the front of the machine. But on the back, I wrapped a towel around a board, simply lifted the end of the playfield up high, slid the board underneath the rails below the playfield so the playfield just sat on top of the machine, giving full access to the inside of the cabinet (and made SURE it was on sturdy and would not slide down or to the side). Then it was super easy to install the blades, didn't need to mess with Windex or anything, just lined 'em up, used painters tape to hang them in position, and then undid the backing and installed them. The type I purchased were great about being able to lightly stick, then pull up, then adjust until I had them perfect, then I just used my hand to press them in and iron out any bubbles and they turned out perfect. While the playfield was up I used the 3/4" felt tape and lined the entire machine (every surface edge that could possibly scrape the sides), lowered the playfield back in, and it slides in and lifts up smooth as butter, nothing binding, nothing scraping. Took me about 30 minutes taking my time for the whole operation. Anyway, there are different ways to do this, but this method sure worked well for me. I LOVE the blades, and it feels like it helps brighten things up just a tad as well. The quality of the blades is very good, fairly thick vinyl feeling, had precut holes for the hinge bolts, and look better in person than the pictures.

IMG_3036 (resized).JPGIMG_3036 (resized).JPGIMG_3037 (resized).JPGIMG_3037 (resized).JPGIMG_3039 (resized).JPGIMG_3039 (resized).JPGIMG_3046 (resized).JPGIMG_3046 (resized).JPGIMG_3051 (resized).JPGIMG_3051 (resized).JPG

#7511 3 years ago
Quoted from rodcom:

No worries at all. Glad to hear the rubbers work for you. I did a little trimming and that seemed to work. What mods you getting?

Oh man, got a long list of mods coming:

Mod Couple
- Factory (fits over the "butter" container thing)
- Burp / tube (like the look sitting on top of the bumper)
- Wonkavator (just the static one fine for me to help fill the void for the SE)
- Top hat (for the ball kick-out / return lane thingy)
- Not ordered yet but probably will get the Augustus-in-a-tube mod and put it on the "shelf" at the back of the machine

Lermods
- Backglass light (just the plain white)
- Upper playfield RGB
- Lower / trough RGB
- Main playfield interactive spotlights

And I already have:
- Added a shaker (this is a MUST do, so easy and gosh what a difference!)
- Pingraffx blades (also LOVE the look, much more impact and nicer looking than I even thought from pictures)
- Self-made large mushroom field near the factory on the left and small mushroom field on upper playfield shelf at the back of the machine (I made identical plastic parts so I could preserve the originals and freely mod the new ones as needed ... used wooden large mushrooms, plastic small mushrooms, green sheets for grass used for jewelry cases, and Gorilla double-sided tape and a hole punch to make perfect little circles to affix the small mushrooms)
- Large candy lollipops (x 4) to cover up various switches and lights, from a Korean stationary store, they are made of rubber and are actually erasures so not worried if they get hit by a ball

At some point definitely a subwoofer mod is coming, probably just an inexpensive alligator clip solution to a Goodwill cheapo sub, but I do like the fancier solutions I have seen posted here before.

Wow, I feel almost ridiculous with that list of stuff, the machine out of the box is amazing but just got the bug to customize it!

#7512 3 years ago
Quoted from Camvr2013:

Thanks for sharing your experience! I’ve got a set in the mail as I write this!

Very good! Truly a great mod, I am surprised how much I love the look. And really was easy to install the way I did it, plus with the felt (felt tape came from Amazon, I think it was like $10 or so, WELL worth it) I feel confident I won't be ripping it any time soon when I raise / lower the playfield (knock on wood!).

#7514 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Go nuts man if it makes you happy...
Just keep in mind most mods you wont get any money out of if you ever sell it.
You dont want to be that guy listing his 7k machine for 9K with 2k worth of mods noone wants to pay up for.

Ha, yes mods are not a good "investment", I plan on keeping this machine for good but no illusion that aside from the shaker, other mods add near zero resale value. But I'm good with it

#7555 3 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Dont know yet it is being shipped - they told me it was a later run. It is an SE there were no LEs to be had. Fingers crossed!
Do we know what dates had issues? I think I saw Oct 19 in another post?

I posted about this before, but my NIB SE arrived earlier this month with "born on date" Feb of 2020. Perfect shape, playfield has zero issues (and I read all of the posts on this forum and have seen the pictures of pooling / etc ... which honestly didn't look THAT bad to me, but I totally get wanting to make sure that the issues don't get worse over time). I was ready to fight the playfield battle, but it looks amazing and literally I couldn't find a darned thing to complain about. So I have been enjoying the mod bug and just having a blast with the thing!

#7634 3 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Officially in the club
[quoted image]

Nice! My SE was born on 2/12/2020! Got it NIB and had it for about 3 weeks, absolutely love the machine, been doing mods, plan on doing a writeup soon for my latest ones. Great machine and this is such an amazing forum, people are so helpful.

#7646 3 years ago

RobbyIRL5 , I sincerely hope this is not annoying for you but I have to ask: are you THE Robby McGehee? As in THE Indy 500 rookie of the year? If so, I don't follow the sport closely like I used to, but I was a fan in the stands many times in Texas when IRL raced there in late 90s and early 2000s, and I remember one Mr. Robby McGehee battling at the front in some races (confess I was a Jeff Ward fan coming from a moto-X background, but I was a big fan of all the insane guys strapping themselves into those machines for my entertainment). Those cars were so fast in person that they were literally a blur going by. Sorry off topic here, and I hope this question is not bothersome, I'll delete this post if so.

#7661 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Not bothersome at all! That was me in a previous life (last Indy was in 2004), now I’m just an old guy with 11-year old triplets and a massive addiction to pinball, LOL. Jeff Ward was awesome and that race in Texas was with Scott Sharp. I still say he moved up on me.

I will use full restraint to keep this from turning into an Indy Racing League forum, but everybody: Robby was a danged beast on the track, the race in Texas in 2000 was an A-mazing, those last laps had the crowd on their feet yelling and screaming watching that battle to the end that was just epic (my brother and dad were at the race, was my dad's last sports event he attended before passing away but he loved it, still have a great family memory from that largely due to the show Robby and Scott Sharp put on those last laps). Anyway, sounds like an incredible and blessed life from racing at the highest levels to family with triplets and a Wonka machine, very cool the diverse folks that this hobby brings

#7672 3 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

Huge IRL and CART fan here!
How very cool to know I share a pinball passion with a driver in my favorite sport!
Short of the Indy500, Texas is without a doubt the most “edge of my seat” race of the season! I can only imagine the “pucker factor” when behind the wheel as a driver! You have my utmost respect Robby!!!
I searched YouTube for the video of the 2000 Texas race and it looks like equipment issues resulted in Robby’s DNF. They mentioned an Indy lights race where Scott sharp edged Robby by fractions of a second in June of that year. Is that the race you’re talking about? I’d like to watch it if available.
Sorry for perpetuating the Indy car lovefest, but it’s also a passion of mine.

Yeah really cool right?! June of 2000 was the crazy finish I was talking about, race was the Casino Magic 500. Every fan in the stands was going nuts I assure you!

#7741 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I don’t get it, you have to lift the playfield to put those on, right? So they only help when returning the playfield? But then how do you remove them? I’m confused!

The blade protectors are a great idea, but just as an alternative: I made a post a couple of weeks back on this forum / thread about my solution to install blades and ensure they are protected ... bottom line, you can easily lift out the entire playfield and prop it up on "top" of the machine (without having to disconnect anything), install blades freely (if you didn't have them), and then simply put a felt tape layer (1/2" width works, probably < $10 from Amazon) around the edges of the playfield and anything that could contact the sides of the machine and you're good to go. I have lifted my playfield up and down probably 50 times in the last two weeks trying to install mods and figure out some wiring issues, and my blades look brand new. But for occasional access and for not having to install the felt, the blade protectors seem like a great and simple solution (my original plan was to use posterboard and make my own, but I didn't see how I could get them to squeeze in the tight gap that my machine has). Good luck!

#7743 3 years ago

I have two playfield related questions and gladly expose my lack of knowledge on the topic ... what say you wise experts?

Q1. These machines come with two half-circle Mylar clear protectors in the cash box. What are you guys doing with those (if anything)? My machine will realistically get 500 plays per year tops, and while I plan on owning it for good, I don't know if it is necessary or helpful to install these. Are they intended to go in front of the slingshots, and should I install them? Funny that some parts of the playfield have protectors, others don't (ex: outlane switches are bare, inlane switches protectors).

Q2. Especially when "booting up" my machine when ONLY the backglass is lit, I see a bunch of tiny pock marks or indentations in the reflection on the playfield. None of these seems to impact play nor can I feel them, but just wondering if this is common and considered normal wear (seems to be on other machines, but with how new my machine is I'm surprised to see these). In the photo you can barely see a few of these marks (they are probably 2mm wide, TINY). Playfield probably has a couple of hundred of these marks / "dents" total.

IMG_3238 (resized).JPGIMG_3238 (resized).JPG
#7745 3 years ago
Quoted from Tdavis7965:

I cut my Mylar and placed at the ball ejector (previous issues on another game here), and VUK in the right rear (protect edge from chipping).
I also have the smaller dimples on the playfield but chalk this up to normal game use.... maybe wrong here? I have the same on GNR.

Great info, your response is very much appreciated!

#7749 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

What makes this screw stand out is it is brass and not many brass screws you can see from the top.

Good point, I did a quick playfield scan and couldn't find anything from the top. Since it showed up SO early in your game's life, it is possible it was an "extra" unused thing from assembly. My NIB I got a month ago had a loose coin door bolt that wound up attaching itself to the magnet on the speaker (the bolt was an extra, not something that was missing).

#7754 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I remember a while back someone went with the felt tape and then found out how messy that can become. Heads up with that....

I'll be on the lookout for that; I can see that over time that could be an issue if the adhesive stops working on the back of the tape or if something catches and pulls it off (mine so far is smooth as butter, we'll see how it holds up).

#7758 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The diverter on the wireform on the left. Looks like a screw that holds the coil on.
LTG : )

Aaah of course what LTG said! 100% confirmed on my machine, just look underneath the diverter ("butter box"), that's where the brass screw is. Mine has the Mod Couple "factory" mod to sit over the factory "butter box" cover that ... err, comes from the factory ... ANYWAY, that appears to be the spot.

IMG_3240 (resized).JPGIMG_3240 (resized).JPGIMG_3241 (resized).JPGIMG_3241 (resized).JPG
#7834 3 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I tried using the tape and it was a disaster. The clearance was so tight it pulled the tape off in spots and smeared thick glue all over the mirror blades every time I raised the playfield. I decided to remove it and just try being more careful each time. Fortunately, the blades I have can just be buffed out if there is a scratch. Way better than hard to clean gunk getting everywhere.

Yeesh that sounds terrible! Curious since I'm already "all in" on the felt tape method for blade protection, did you experience issues immediately or was it down the road as the adhesive lost grip? So far has worked amazingly well for me, but I'm only a month in and a few dozen lifts of the playfield. I used 3/4" tape and although I used it everywhere, I put in a little overlap on the areas I could see would most likely bind when lowering the PF.

#7853 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Looks like a bad download. I'd start over. If you used the USA mirror, try the EU mirror.

That install error is lousy, no ideas but hopefully starting from scratch will fix whatever hiccup happened. I used the USA download link today with no issues (well, don't get me started on the Mac headaches, I spent an hour trying command line crap to get the Mac version of unetbootin to work, apparently there are issues with the latest version of OSX ... I finally gave up, booted up Windows, and was SO easy to do, so zero issues with Windows). Just be sure to give your the image plenty of time to write to your USB; mine stopped at 87% complete for about 15 minutes, then continued, so just be patient (exactly as advised in the JJP directions). And I didn't read all of the forum comments first, but I can confirmed that high score, settings, AND all audit data are completely reset with the install (now it appears my machine has never been played ... good to know this when shopping for any used JJPs in the future that the eyeball test is more important than the # of games played according to the logs). After a couple of plays I have seen subtle differences in the code, seems a little more polished, music and sounds definitely changed a little for the better (nothing major but there were some sounds that seemed super repetitive that I'm not hearing nearly as much now). And yep high scores are no longer just initials, you enter your name! Really neat seeing the new features rolled out for WiFi and BT; look forward to testing those at some point.

#7882 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

How long is it taking other folks to download the update? Mine is taking 15-20 mins, LTG taking 1 hr 15 mins. Trying to diagnosie where I have an issue updating. thanks.

Took me about 15 minutes to download 1.34 (Mac Big Sur, Chrome browser, 100Mbs cable modem that is "ok"). US mirror site. Oh yeah, 16GB USB (some cheapie no-name brand).

#7883 3 years ago
Quoted from swampy:

Yes the Mac issue for Unetbootin is frustrating......but there's a super easy way to do the update using Mac.
1. download update ISO file
2. click and open ISO file - a new window will open showing the file contents of the image. You will see several folders and files.
3. select all files in that window and drag all to your USB drive (formatted FAT32, blank etc)
4. remove USB and do the update on your machine.
5. Done!! Worked for me on Wonka 1.34, and also recently on a DI LE.
Not sure why JJP don't publish this procedure for Mac users - it works perfectly and is super easy.

Wow this Mac solution is SO easy, nice! And also thanks to you guys for the other Mac alternatives, both which also look pretty darned easy. Amazing community on Pinside.

#7896 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok I will admit I didn't understand one word of that either lol.

LOL yall are funny, yeah I got stuck trying to do my own command line stuff on my Mac (epic fail), clearly zaphX is operating at a very high level here But his solution is quite elegant and makes total sense when you read the comments he shared for what happens with each step.

#7967 3 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

When updating the code, does it reset the plays of the machine? It does erase all high scores correct?

As LTG said, backup needed to retain this. I updated without backing uo and everthing is 100% reset including high scores and all audit counts (number of games played, etc). Lucky for me I have only owned the game a month and have accepted that I sorta suck at this game (no heartache over lost high scores), but LOVE it and will back it up before I upgrade again

#8020 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Anybody know why they call the Wonkavision a the "saucer" sometimes?

I have been meaning to ask the same question, always seems strange when you hear the saucer reference.

#8039 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I think they are referring to the hole that the ball rests in (before it kicks out to the upper right flipper) when you go through the WonkaVision. Odd that they would reference it because it's not really visible from the player's position and has nothing that I'm aware of to do with the theme. It would be like saying, "Shoot the VUK!" almost. Or maybe I'm missing something, either way, no big deal, just something I was curious about.

LOL "shoot the VUK!" Yes I can sort of see how that spot could informally be called a saucer, at least during the design phase ... aaah well, gives it a little personality

#8052 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Consider watching the #Zaphx video tutorial on Wonka. He does a Perfect zone by zone explanation of the display graphics. Really helped me understand whats going on.

Wow that looks incredibly useful; watched a little and am looking forward to soaking in the whole thing. I'm really hoping to get a little more insight into what the 6 "other" magnets do and how they relate to the little light burst / cluster areas on the playfield. Thanks for sharing the video yall!

#8107 3 years ago
Quoted from chillme:Mine has been fine also, we play it daily.

Yep all good here on new code as well.

#8141 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

There is also different options now for collecting wonka bars from the upper left flipper to spinner shot . Also noticed u can pick what video quality you want the movie clips to be which is pretty cool.

I didn't see that video quality option yet, not sure I understand what that would do, is it just changing the resolution / real estate taken up on the screen (which to me is completely different than "quality", can't fathom why you would want to actually adjust the true "quality"!)?

#8149 3 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

I just did the 1.34 to 1.35 delta upgrade via usb. seems to have worked fine. the actual usb update part took about 2 seconds! about to play! come on 17 million!

Same here, delta upgrade literally took about 2 seconds (so fast I thought it might have not worked), rebooted, and confirmed I'm on 1.35. Play time!

#8236 3 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

I picked up a Willy Wonka machine about a month ago and I've really struggled with the gobstopper switch always getting stuck in the open state. It doesn't matter how I bent the arm of the switch, it would eventually end up stuck open. I ended up 3D printing an extremely simple fix to prevent the arm from raising up too high and I haven't had a single issue since installing it.
I put it up on thingiverse for anyone else that wants to give it a try.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4803035
[quoted image]

Gobstopper switch is the only thing that continues to give me issues on my machine. Don't have a 3D printer, but I think I can take a tiny block of wood and my Dremel and craft something similar (appreciate at least seeing what the part looks like, thx for sharing this info!). OR maybe this is the reason I "need" to get a 3D printer, hmmmm....

#8239 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Seriously, you really don't need to add anything.
Just fold some e-tape and jam it into the switch body where the arm is coming out.
You will probably find that it's loose and floppy.
I used a very small flathead for this. Once you do this, the switch arm will now be firm enough that you can adjust it to the correct sensitivity and it will no longer flop above the actuator.

Brilliant, thank you sir and much appreciate you sharing the photo as well.

#8252 3 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

If the electrical tape doesn't work out, let me know I'll print one up and send it to you.

Thanks a ton DeeGor , I'll go with the quick electrical tape fix, but I super appreciate the offer (once again I can't get over how great this Pinside community is!).

#8314 3 years ago
Quoted from Malibu-SS:

Good morning
I also keep getting a gobstopper switch error.....like it is sticking maybe?common problem?
Thanks for you help
Rick

Hi Rick you probably already saw it, but there was just a discussion about that switch on the previous page and at the top of this one ... it sure seems without a doubt to be a super common issue, but there are lots of ways to fix it ... I used a similar approach to the electrical tape quick fix referenced before and so far it works great Anyway, just click back to "page 166" and scroll through and you can see some of the solutions (which I know have also been mentioned many times before earlier in the forum as well). And definitely do a full update for 1.35, congrats on the machine, amazing and fun pin that is a keeper for sure!

3 weeks later
#8447 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I shoot for Kid MB when half the ball is off the tip of the right flipper.
This shot works for wide orbit shots on many games btw!

I have SO much trouble with this shot, more practice needed

I hit my all time high score of a little over 6M a few days ago, even finished the Wonka Office mode, really cool, quite proud of myself. And the day after my VERY next game score: 6,470 (or something close to that, under 7,000). Made me wonder if I hit an all-time lowest score? Some days this game seems really cruel. Love it though!

#8511 2 years ago

Great info, I tried multiple USB wifi adapters (I review these things and have a bunch sitting around), NONE worked except the Archer Nano AC600. Fortunately it is very inexpensive at $13 on Amazon, works great, connected right up.

#8539 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

They still need to blink the auto save after extended time in the Pops, IMO. It can be a really cheap drain, particularly when you’re close to earning a golden ticket.

100%, true dat!

1 week later
#8649 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

Consider yourself lucky because once you notice it, you can't unsee it I've seen a couple of other Wonkas with the newer software and they all have the same issue with the animations. As much as I like nearly all of the updates/changes, the dropped frames in the animations drive me nuts. I'm sure not everyone will notice. But I'll live with v1.33 for the time being.
If I'm feeling ambitious, maybe I'll make a side-by-side comparison video showing the difference. Although, I don't want to upset people once they see it the difference and notice it every time.

Man! ILM, Pixar, or maybe James Cameron should hire you as a CGI QA guy, good golly that is an eye for detail! I am sincerely not doubting you here, but honestly I watched your clips and the only hiccup that was clear to me was the Game Over candy backgrounds at 2:16 mark. I know it would be a pain, but perhaps you could do some side by side video to help your case with JJP ... I assume the video from the game is 60FPS, so maybe slow both side-by-side feeds down to half or fourth speed to make the differences more obvious? Wish you luck on this, does sound like a software thing if you are seeing 1.33 as smooth, but glad my eyes aren't bothered by it though

#8651 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

Hah, well my background is in film/TV production so I do have a trained eye for this kind of thing. But yes, the video is 60fps. It's definitely more noticeable in person. I'm sure part of the reason I noticed it was because I went from v1.33 to v1.37 and going from a perfectly smooth set of animations to the flawed ones in 1.37 was much more drastic than if I had done the update and not played it for a week.
If I'm feeling ambitious, maybe I'll make a side-by-side comparison. The "game over" screen is definitely one of the more noticeable animations.

Aaah makes sense, yep your eye is probably even more trained more than you realize (more than the average bear, although Pinsiders seem to be on the upper end of the bear spectrum). But certainly JJP should take a serious look; they might learn something that could prevent bigger issues down the road for Wonka or other machines (imagine say a code release for Guns N Roses that causes video to be jittery, that could go bad really fast). Good luck and keep us posted!

#8690 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

Here's a side-by-side comparison video I just made, showing in detail the difference between the normal smooth animations of v1.33 (and before) versus the choppy/stuttering/laggy animations of v1.37. Although this issue is noticeable in many (if not all) of the animations, I decided to just focus on the "game over" animation to make things simple and hopefully easier for people to see.
I highly recommend watching it full screen at full quality (1080p60fps). Also, be sure to watch the end where you can see the lag v1.37 has between screens.

Wow you work fast, YES great job on that, the video slowed down makes it much more obvious. Also thanks for posting the JJP response, which at this time I think was reasonable on their part. Hope the next version release is back to buttery smooth animations.

#8711 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

Just tested it out. That's a big no-go on the animation fix. Still as choppy as ever. Time to go back to v1.33. *sigh*
EDIT: Just Tweeted about this to JJPSoftware. Here's the Tweet. https://twitter.com/jamesdeanny/status/1394399676321853440?s=20

I added a comment to your tweet, you made a fair case with the video, I doubt they would have had time to figure it out in time for this release, but perhaps the next one.

#8712 2 years ago

Play style question: does anyone use the two-stage feature of the flipper buttons during play to not activate the upper flippers? I mash the heck out of the buttons every time which activates the upper and lower, but seems easier to time the shots with a firm press. Curious if anyone has improved their scores by mastering a more finessed technique, or if it just a bit of a wasted feature.

#8714 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It's useful for trapping balls on the bottom flippers while making shots with the top ones.

Aaah, that makes perfect sense, thx

#8719 2 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Looking to join the club with an SE within 5 hours of Indianapolis...

Good luck, LOVE my SE, truly a special and spectacular game!

#8742 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

I for one am glad you bring this up. I see it on my game and would like it fixed. It doesn’t bother me that much but can see it. I just think this type of feedback is good for both owners and the software update folks at jjp

100% agreed. I consider it a minor issue that does not impact gameplay, but it is something certainly worth mentioning and that JJP should address (and they should want to figure out why this happened so it doesn't have a more serious impact down the road for this or other games). It is more noticeable to me than some (not all) of the playfield issues that people are so upset about.

1 week later
#8763 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You can always check on jeresyjackpinball.com - under Support - under Willy Wonka.
The Beta Build is up to 4 if you enabled that in Network Settings.

Just for fun I enabled the Beta builds. I am running 1.38 which installed wirelessly without a hiccup. However, the beta versions download, but each time errors out saying the build cannot be verified.

Also, NEVER had this happen on a single player game, but first time I played a 4 player game on 1.38 there were three false occurances of the Gobstopper lock registering a ball. Just randomly happened and even started an "unearned" Gobstopper multiball for me (family accused me of rigging the machine at that point!) I am guessing there must be a touchy switch or sensor (dirty optical sensor maybe?). Funny enough it has not happened again on single player games, but I am guessing that is just a coincidence. Thoughts?

#8766 2 years ago

FYI - 5th time's the charm: update to Beta 3 worked tonight. No Beta 4 available to me.

#8768 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

Any animation improvements with Beta 3?

Did a quick visual check this morning: no changes, still stutters a bit.

1 week later
#8865 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

Do you have to be running 1.38 in order to do the wifi beta switch? I am running 1.37, updating via wifi the b4 code and gets all the way through progress complete and then says "cannot verify...". Any thoughts? thanks in advance.

Exact same thing happened to me (all over a good wifi connection), same error message. Finally worked on about the 5th or so try, but was frusturating. I went from 1.38 to beta. So keep trying, good luck!

UPDATE: oops, saw you got it working, good deal!

2 weeks later
#8991 2 years ago
Quoted from erikgilby:

If anyone is experiencing an issue successfully downloading the newest beta build, try setting the pin as a priority WiFi device on your router. We did not have the pin as a priority device prior to downloading beta build 4, and the download failed about a dozen times. It would download anywhere from 1% - 60%, stall, and fail. It was successful after increasing priority on the router. The unusual thing is all WiFi code updates were successful without the machine being set as a priority device previously.
We’ve only put in a few games since the update, but it’s been well worth the time commitment!

Good to know, I ran into about 5 failures but it finally downloaded. Will try this for the next update!

1 month later
#9331 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

Alright! I just broke 100,000,000 on Wonka at the scoring starts over at 0 and the scoreboard has a broken glass effect. When you launch the ball the player 1 above the score is replaced by a 100M graphic I didn’t capture a pic of.
Sadly this score may not be legit. I feel like random balls might have been launching when I didn’t earn a multi ball. I went in to switch test and banged around and nothing lit up. Is there a better way to check ?
[quoted image][quoted image]

I am now on Beta 6 (= 2.0), and briefly was on Beta 5 and noticed that for both versions random multiballs seem to get inserted. I am running the default settings through except slightly stronger coil strength for a couple of coils. I thought it might have been a hiccup or even my imagination (no pun intended here) but now I have Beta 6 and have spent a little time playing it, the machine just keeps launching "free" extra balls for no apparent reason, or at least I haven't seen a pattern. When it happens I shut off the machine because I don't want a cheater high score. Sometimes 10 minutes will go by with nothing, and other times almost at the beginning of the game suddenly an extra ball will appear, with no reference or audio/video cues to indicate why. Seems like this has happened to a couple of folks ... could this be the code update and is intentional, a bug, OR possibly some bad switch or something else hardware related? Aside from the mysterious extra ball situation, I LOVE the code updates, lots of polish and game is TOTALLY awesomely fun.

#9339 2 years ago

Upon further review, Mr. McGehee had answered the question about the random balls being launched: solution being to reflow the tough optic board (apparently just a coincidence it started happening with code update). Unfortunate that this seems to be a manufacturing defect, but at least it is fixable and a known issue. I haven't had to reflow solder since I fixed my old PS3 in the oven (spouse was quite puzzled at what the hell I was doing, but it worked).

#9344 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

I just reflowed the solder to my opto’s as well mine barely had any visible solder looking thru a magnifying loupe.

Sounds good, keep us posted if that fixed the issue for you. Before attempting the reflow on my machine (which I would rather not do), I opened a JJP support ticket and they have been very responsive and are going through a series of tests with me. So far the trough opto switches seemed to test ok, although I'm wondering if the switches work "most" of the time but as soon as they lose contact maybe that is when an extra ball is triggered (if so that makes sense that the reflow would fix it - or just a new trough opto board).

#9348 2 years ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

Sounds good, keep us posted if that fixed the issue for you. Before attempting the reflow on my machine (which I would rather not do), I opened a JJP support ticket and they have been very responsive and are going through a series of tests with me. So far the trough opto switches seemed to test ok, although I'm wondering if the switches work "most" of the time but as soon as they lose contact maybe that is when an extra ball is triggered (if so that makes sense that the reflow would fix it - or just a new trough opto board).

Final resolution: JJP confirmed that the random balls are indeed due to a bad "trough jam opto" and needs to be reflowed or replaced (they are backordered but will send one to me at no charge except for shipping). Good support from JJP, plus it confirms everything that the Pinsiders have stated about this issue and how to fix it. Carry on!

#9350 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

Reflow didn’t solve my issue. I contacted JJP support this morning.

Shoot man, I am sorry to hear that. So I could get back up and running quickly, I decided to take a shot at the reflow (per JJP instructions I didn't even need to remove the board), and so far that seems to have solved the issue for me (no random balls in about 5 long games). They should be able to take care of you though, although they did warn me that the trough opto boards are backordered (hence why I decided to take a shot at the reflow). I did add a little solder as well.

#9359 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Just behind the legs on the transmitter board. That's the board in front closest to the front edge of the playfield. [quoted image]

Exactly this, thx JJP for the support (Ken helped me out)!

#9376 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Tell your wife to stop worrying as that is nonsense. You could even delete the program after. This would not do a thing to slow down a computer. Its just a program to put an ISO onto a thumbdrive.
Personally, I like to use Win32 Disk Imager as I feel its less confusing.

jetmechinnc I say you surprise the spouse with a new Mac (maybe hold on a few more months until Christmas), everybody wins And absolutely get yourself the WiFi dongle (like $20 on Amazon) and once you get the code updated to the new version, you'll never have to worry about downloading to the USB stick again. The WiFi update feature is amazingly easy to use and SO much better than the USB updates (as a Mac users I experienced a little pain with that as well). Good luck sir!

#9377 2 years ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

@jetmechinnc I say you surprise the spouse with a new Mac (maybe hold on a few more months until Christmas), everybody wins And absolutely get yourself the WiFi dongle (like $20 on Amazon) and once you get the code updated to the new version, you'll never have to worry about downloading to the USB stick again. The WiFi update feature is amazingly easy to use and SO much better than the USB updates (as a Mac users I experienced a little pain with that as well). Good luck sir!

1 month later
#9823 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Wonka landed this afternoon… won’t have a chance to set up for a while, but the box/packing job appears to be A+

Fantastic. You guys that are about to unbox are in for a treat. I snagged a SE early this year NIB and felt like a kid strolling into the Magic Kingdom for the first time when I opened it up. The game truly is magical. I will never sell the game unless I upgrade down the road to a LE or CE.

1 week later
#9894 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

So what's everyone doing to add more bass to the sound. I have almost none. It doesn't have to shake the house down but definitely need more than stock.

Alligator clipped speaker wire to bottom cabinet speaker, ran wire to a cheapo Goodwill sub ($15 I think) that accepts speaker level inputs, and it sounds amazing now. I also was surprised at the lack of low frequencies with the original setup.

1 month later
#10145 2 years ago

Running 2.03 code and finally found some time recently to enjoy the game, but I noticed that the shaker motor seems to be used much less with the newer code (ex: Wonkavator Multiball only vibrates a few seconds, same for Wonkatania Mania). Or is that purely my imagination (lame pun intended)? Shaker motor set to high (not extreme), also I have an SE so the shaker is aftermarket.

#10150 2 years ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

Running 2.03 code and finally found some time recently to enjoy the game, but I noticed that the shaker motor seems to be used much less with the newer code (ex: Wonkavator Multiball only vibrates a few seconds, same for Wonkatania Mania). Or is that purely my imagination (lame pun intended)? Shaker motor set to high (not extreme), also I have an SE so the shaker is aftermarket.

EDIT: I ran the shaker motor test sequence this morning; no errors or issues (the test runs for about 7 or 8 seconds). Still thinking it is the code update.

Also FYI on another topic, I contacted JJP support for separate issue over a month ago and got NO response whatsoever except for the automated "we'll get back to you" email. Appreciate the folks on Pinside for help.

#10156 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I have not seen this. In fact the code has substantially more effects, such as loud farting during the Wonka Wash.

Thx zaphX, good to know, I think I'll just set it to the default motor strength and do some more play testing and see what "shakes" out

3 weeks later
#10255 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippinJB:

Certainly not for me! I do appreciate the ease of the left ramp, as it's a way to get balls under control, but I have days when I cannot hit the TV saucer despite many, many flailing attempts. I love the left (kid multiball) lane... so satisfying when you nail it! The flow is great.

Kid Multiball is still the toughest shot for me by far. I like it though because it is doable, and the excitement (especially if you have all of the "kids") of starting up that multiball if you have all of the kids is amazing.

1 week later
#10347 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I only want to own RGB games going forward. My Star Trek Prem, Wonka and Hobbit all have RGB playfield lights. That said, does anyone have any advice on how to brighten up the GI lighting "slightly" on Wonka. No overkill here, just feel it is a bit too dark. Please, no one mention pinstadium either.

pcprogrammer I made two purchases for lighting and HIGHLY recommend:

#1 - Trough and backboard led light strip combo from @lermods, looks amazing and easy plug and play (you can "make your own" to save a few bucks, but to me it was worth it for ease of installation and wiring): https://lermods.com/shop/ols/products/willy-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory-pinball-led-strip-backboard-slash-trough-combo

#2 - Wonka Bar style spotlights for the center of the main playfield, also from @lermods, it provides a wonderful amount of light for the main Willy image in the middle of the playfield, not too bright, not too dark, just right, looks great, also plug and play and mounts on the top of the slings (and for the money this is my single favorite mod): https://lermods.com/shop/ols/products/willy-wonka-the-chocolate-factory-pinball-spotlight-covers

This picture was taken in a fairly dark room. Yeah I have gone a little crazy with the mods, but sure had fun making the machine my own. Shaker motor and Invisiglass (I just have the SE model) are absolutely worth it. Love this game and will never leave my collection (unless I find a steal on a CE at some point).

IMG_6283 (resized).JPGIMG_6283 (resized).JPG
#10352 2 years ago

Yep that is the exact product I ordered. Mine are not the holograffix, but they look really sharp; well worth the price for me.

#10353 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Check out my previous post in this thread about the black mark on the art. Others have reported the same.

Forgot about this, but confirmed mine also have this small mark. Not a big deal for me and never would have noticed it if I hadn't known to look for it, but it is a little odd.

#10370 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Where did you get those mushrooms on the green field on the left? The big trippy looking ones? Love em.

Thanks! Got 'em at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Skyseen-Wooden-Mushrooms-Craft-Ornaments/dp/B0728J73J9

Also bought some rigid plastic sheets, some green jewelry felt sticky "grass" sheets and made my own replacement part using a dremel for the clear plastic that the mushrooms sit on (so I wouldn't have to mess up the factory plastic). Used Gorilla tape on the bottom of the mushrooms to attch them, although I could have glued them or used small wood screws from the bottom (the large mushrooms are made of wood).

And yes the Kid Multiball is by far the hardest shot for me to make

#10388 2 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Hey all. I’m joining the club! About to unbox my LE. As a newb to this machine any common issues to watch out for or must have protectors etc? TIA

Congrats, it truly is a very special game, snag you a wifi dongle (be sure to get one that works with this machine, posted several times in this forum), get the code updates, and enjoy the show!

#10390 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

The new run comes with the WiFi equipped.

Aaah very nice!

1 week later
#10587 2 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

Curious if anyone has experienced flipper fade from coils over-heating on Wonka? I see it's been a subject on some other JJP titles such as pirates. Saw this post about a simple/cost effective solution(from Stef95 post #17361): https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/348

Minimal in my opinion ... a few times during a long session with multiball going the balls have had a LITTLE bit more difficulty going up the ramps, but not enough for me to want to "fix" it. This is a total guess, but if I had to pick a numbers I would say I have never seen more than a 10% reduction in power. For a great player this could be a big deal. For me (total novice) it hardly makes any difference. But that solution looks pretty cool (no pun intended)!

#10621 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I'm curious: What do you all think of the Willie Wonka movie? I generally don't care much about the themes for my pins (I have zero interest in soccer but love my World Cup Soccer), but I know the Wonka theme definitely pulls me in. It's like playing a giant adult Fisher Price toy on steroids.
Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a Top 3 movie for me. You?
(and if you have to ask which Wonka movie I'm referring to, we can't be friends)

Somehow I didn't see the film until I was in my 20s (so it is not pure nostalgia) ... but for me it IS pure imagination! If you count a film franchise as one movie (IJ, SW, LOTR, etc) this is a top 10 movie on my list.

#10630 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

This isnt a franchise...
EDIT - Sorry, perhaps I read what you meant incorrectly.

Yes I meant that without counting say LOTR as 3 movies (and JUST counting it as one) and same for Star Wars and so on, THEN Wonka (the original that the table is based on) is a top 10 movie for me

1 week later
#10694 2 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Congrats. I’ve had mine about a month and liked it right away and then it’s only grown since then. It’s great for the whole family too. Not sure if that applies to you. Here’s my only tip. Check your invisiglass for any wear around the gobstopper toy. It tends to rub the glass in shipping. If you find any contact jjp support via website. They may send you a new piece of glass. Did for me.

My SE I bought NIB last year also had yellow paint from the Gobstopper toy on the underside of the glass. Mine was not invisiglass and wiped right off, but absolutely anyone getting a new machine needs to double check that spot. By the way, I later swapped out my standard glass for insvisiglass, and WOW what difference!

#10700 2 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Joined the club. I have some reading to do I see! And a playfield to swap…. Oh My
[quoted image]

Fantastic, welcome sir! Playfield smayfield, play the thing

#10747 2 years ago
Quoted from Meri-cah:

Just set up my new build Wonka LE. Built 12/2021.
Question….. my sound in very very tinny. Very high pitch. No bass and very uncomfortable to listen to. Couldn’t find anywhere in the settings for sounds control. I have WoZ and DI along with several other machines and none sound this terrible.
Does Wonka just have horrible audio or anyone think there’s a problem? All speakers are working, just very high treble in all including the sub

Yes in my opinion the sound is terrible for low frequencies. Mine sounds like a 1980s tv built-in speaker (as in NO bass)! I bought some alligator clips to clip on the subwoofer terminals, hooked up some speaker wire, and ran the wires it to a cheapo external subwoofer (Goodwill $10 bucks) that accepts speaker level input, and it sounds 10 times better. Pinwoofer offers a nice solution that is probably the best if you have the budget, and bossk4hire mentioned a good alternative way to go which is add an amp with a frequency crossover to the sub. Funny my WOZ sound is way better out of the box. If they would add an equalizer adjustment of some sort (I think they did that for GNR?) in the software that would help a bunch.

#10767 2 years ago
Quoted from woodmedic:

Joining the club with a NIB LE! Now for the fun wait to see that truck pulling up in front of the house. Super excited for this one!

Congrats! You will love it, it is such a great game. I appreciate the design of this machine more than ever after playing for a year. Only minor "regret" is "just" getting an SE instead of LE or CE. But at the time even $7500 for a new SE seemed crazy expensive! But I love my SE. It is never leaving the house.

#10785 2 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Has anyone noticed WW chewing up pinballs comparatively faster than other games? After 100 games or so the balls are rougher than many hundreds of games in other machines. Same type of balls (standard balls from Marco or pinball life). Not really complaining Just finding this curious. I’ve changed balls about five times ina month. Here’s a pic like I said can’t be more than 100 games[quoted image]

Wow, I need to check mine, still have the originals (roughly 500 games). Figured they would be good to 1K. Is there anything on Wonka that would wear balls faster? Maybe the metal to metal of the newton ball?

#10791 2 years ago

Fact: the JJP camera adds roughly 20 pounds and 20 years. Only explanation I have for the horrible photos of some grumpy looking old man that keeps getting high scores on my machine.

#10814 2 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Has anyone used this customer shooter rod from mod father? Do you like it?
https://modfatherpinball.com/collections/willy-wonka/products/wonka-everlasting-gobstopper-shooter
I think it looks more like a gobstopper than the other mod I’ve seen at many sites which is like a bunch of hexagons bunched together.
Is the JJP part used on the CE’s available anywhere? Anyone tried to get one from JJP?
Thx
Jack

I ordered mine last week direct from Modfather. Will pop a photo out when it is installed. I bought a WOZ shooter rod from him and it looks great.

#10825 2 years ago
Quoted from Vermont:

I am considering obtaining a NIB WW LE. My only experience with having my own pin is a Stern TMNT Premium. It seems there is much less interest in WW than there should be based on it being a top twenty ranked pin. I'm curious why this might be. Is it a JJP vs Stern thing? Something else?
It's a big chunk of money (they all are these days) so I'm curious to better understand the dynamics on this game before I jump in. I figure this is the right crowd to ask. (And I might be joining y'all soon!)

The pin is fantastic. Couldn't be happier after owning a year +. As other mentioned, the theme puts some people off (which pulled me in), but the game is awesome, code is deep and keeps you coming back, the shots are great, the light show and overall appeal to non-pinheads is very high as well ... and while I don't think speculating on pinball machine prices is a good investment strategy, I think if you can snag a WW LE you will not lose money on it. Probably holds the value better than any other "toys" I can think of (boats / jet skiis / cars / motorcycles ... usually are going to drop significantly in value over say a decade, but a WW LE probably will still be worth 10K in 10 years, and would not be surprised to see double). But I say buy it because it is awesome to play and a real work of art!

#10856 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Joining the club, ordered one of the last Wonka LE's from Classic Game Rooms. My go to and favorite distributor is sold out. Had a good experience ordering from Jason. I see that Flip N Out pinball is asking $11k for a Wonka LE with a 2" nick to the cabinet decals and $12k for what may be his last NIB one...

Got my SE from Jason last year, great transaction, great game!

#10872 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I entered the ww candy code with the flipper buttons and the first game it started to launch an extra ball and soon after I am getting error all optos are active check 5 volt.
I reflowed the power and still same,strange it happened first game out.,anyway I will contact jjp ,any thoughts.
Thanks

Sorry to hear that, I had the extra ball launching issue as well, the trough board reflow worked for me but you may need to exchange the whole board (JJP offered that but was quicker for me to give the reflow a shot, no issues since then).

On the screw loose topic, I had a smokestack screw come loose as well.

#10913 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

I bought WW LE from Jason in October and he shipped with R&L. Everything was great. Jason is legit.

I bought me SE from Jason last year, shipped Central Freight which I see is now out of business! Shipment was perfect. Jason is a good guy to buy from for sure, if he says R&L is the way to go now then I am sure you'll be fine. Congrats, the machine is incredible!

#10918 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

LE #503 has arrived! Haven’t set it up yet but so far everything looks great. Wonka is either the heaviest game I’ve ever moved next to Hobbit or I’m severely out of shape (yes) as damn is that one heavy ass game to move! I moved it downstairs using an Escalera which was a bit nerve racking with the balance point. As soon as I got it down I opened a beer lol.
[quoted image]

Awesome, very exciting! I moved mine upstairs by myself, and I swear the thing weighed 900 pounds I used a boat winch (some real redneck engineering) to crank it up the stairs and was terrified it would come loose from the dolly I used as a sled, but no problems. But an Escalera would have been VERY nice to have. Enjoy the machine!

2 weeks later
#11052 2 years ago
Quoted from c818919taylor:

Gotta golden ticket
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Now THAT is how to kick off an epic weekend! Congrats, this pin is amazing!

#11061 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

I was told two weeks, it was three months. Had there been communication in the meantime, it wouldn't have been an issue.

I have one coming, I ordered it a few weeks ago and I inquired about the order last week, they immediately got back to me and set the expectation that they are weeks behind so I am guessing it will be a couple of months in total. But from the pictures it looks like it is certainly worth the wait!

#11063 2 years ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

I love mine. I did chance the back light to a sound activated one which I like. He does great work but can be 3 plus months. I think one I got for jurassic park took 4 months.
[quoted image]

Man that looks good, looks like it came from the factory (wink), can't wait to get mine

#11074 2 years ago
Quoted from Vermont:

I just got a new LE recently and it seems like the Kid multiball shot is quite difficult. It would be very interesting if it used to play differently on earlier production models.

Kid MB is by far the toughest shot for me (SE made in Feb 2020); the ball almost has to be rolling off the tip of the right flipper to hit it.

#11095 2 years ago
Quoted from wisemanbba:

Just got an LE. Can I get some thoughts on must have mods for this? Favorites? Thanks

Lots of great mod options out there; I'm one who probably went overboard, but I enjoy the modding and tinkering almost as much as playing. For me, lighting (especially lighting at the back of the playfield, and spotlights for the center of the playfield) was huge. I have bought mods from all of these vendors, all great folks to deal with and I have been very happy. I would recommend browsing old posts in this forum and check out these collections of mods:

https://themodcouplepinball.com/collections/jjp-willy-wonka-premium-mod-collection

https://lermods.com/shop/ols/categories/willy-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory-pinball-mods

https://mezelmods.com/collections/willy-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory-pinball-mods

My favorite single "wow" factor for me is the little "factory" that fits over the diverter on the left side (fits over the "butter stick container" looking thing): https://themodcouplepinball.com/collections/jjp-willy-wonka-premium-mod-collection/products/jjp-willy-wonka-custom-3d-chocolate-factory-ball-lock

Make it your own and have with it!

#11100 2 years ago
Quoted from wisemanbba:

Thanks for the mod recommendations, really appreciate. Definitely some great ones out there for this game!
Does anyone have an opinion of the two 'factory' mods out there- the one brown one from mod couple looks awesome. That vs. the white with red tube pieces from mezel mods?
Thanks

Although I have a strong preference with the appearance and ease of installation of the brown one, the white with red pieces from Mezel is cool in that it has a part (the wheel) that moves when the ball travels through the tube. Nice to have a couple of good options.

#11113 2 years ago
Quoted from wisemanbba:

Awesome, thanks for the pics. That factory looks really good. Will order one up.
Anyone have the Mod Couple wonkavator mod?

I have the Mod Couple version. Looks great and fills a nice "void" on my SE for the space. But in hindsight I really like the looks of Lermods version with the spinning part; if I had to do it again I would probably splurge and get that one.

1 week later
#11190 2 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Is there a more cruel and infuriating moment in all of pinball than losing Wonka’s Office and getting berated by Gene Wilder? If so, I’d like to hear you try to name it.

I honestly love it. Perhaps I need help

#11209 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Not yet but it slows it down to a crawl!!
Dam good video you put on YouTube for us. Your name is Derek correct?
Thanks for all you effort helping others (us). You’re like a mini pinside of information. I also enjoy your retorts of the crabby negative dudes as well. Keep it up! If you’re ever in this miserable freezer box around Minnecrapolis please hit me up you and the gal have a place to stay and play.
John

+1 on this, Derek is one of the most helpful people on the planet. A+ human being, has helped me with Wonka (yes a walking encyclopedia of knowledge) and offered to help with WOZ light stuff if I needed it, great helpful videos, I am a fan!

1 week later
#11287 2 years ago
Quoted from RandomRetro:

Happened to me on my Wonka as well. I chalked it up as me clipping it when putting the playfield down.

Same, guilty, learned my lesson I am now in the habit of just pulling back the shooter rod a tad when lowering the playfield. Fortunately you can get extra tips from places like Marcos, or for $7 you can get a 5-pack from eBay with free shipping:

ebay.com link: itm

1 week later
#11328 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

So I finally signed the standard form of contract, and my Wonka LE shipped out today from the distro! (Thanks, Automated!) I’ve been circling this pin for years, and I’ve owned four other JJPs. My young son and I have been watching the 1971 movie lately and that clinched it. He doesn’t know it’s coming. I nearly missed the boat on nib, I’m guessing few remain. I’m a huge fan of Lawlor pins like DILE, and of JJP, and of the Wonka theme. Very psyched to join the club. This one should be a keeper!

Wahoo, that is awesome! If you love the theme, the beauty of the machine and artwork will thrill you. And then when you play it, you will see it is just pure fun and shoots great. Well over a year after pulling the trigger, I couldn't be happier. Have fun!

#11358 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I see you have a WOZ too, that was my very first pin. I was new to pinball and wasn’t sure if older pins were reliable (knowing nothing about maintaining them) so I decided to buy something nib and I bought a WOZ in 2016. We loved it. We kept it 4 years, and put about 800 plays on it (a lot for us) but eventually sold it to chase another game. I should have kept it. I do feel WOZ was largely responsible for bringing competition back to pinball when it was really down to only Stern. WOZ took awhile to come to market, but it’s a pretty spectacular achievement, especially for a first game!

Oh nice, well at least you got to get the full WOZ experience ... I love that thing, of course I just bought mine this year (found a pristine one, #19 ECLE, even found the original owner who gave me the backstory of being one of the very first to take the plunge and buy it) so I have the recency bias, but what a beautiful work of art. And to me there isn't any debate that they raised the bar for the competition. Funny enough the original owner also expressed regret over selling it!
But back to Wonka ... I really do think Wonka is the most fun pin I have ever played. Shoots great, has tons of achievable shots, and the pacing seems pretty intense to me, especially with multiball going. Lots of fun mods to play with, great theme ... but I'm preaching to the choir on this forum

#11379 1 year ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Took a hot minute but we finally got it and it does not appear to be damaged!

Looks like it arrived in perfect shape, magic awaits, congrats!

#11386 1 year ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

I love the one tilt topper makes. They take a few months to get once you order but are real nice.
https://tilttopper.com/shop/ols/products/willy-wonka-pinball-topper

Ordered mine in Feb and we are almost in May, still waiting. Looks really nice, will report back when (hopefully not if!) mine arrives

#11388 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I also added new rubbers and can’t remember where this plastic goes if anyone can help?
[quoted image]

New rubbers all around on NIB? Just curious, why (color change, performance, or both?)? I replaced all of the flipper rubbers on mine with Titans and LOVE the feel of the Titans (and a fun purple color, love the look). Congrats on the machine, great choice

#11398 1 year ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

Love mine! Worth the wait.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Dang that looks sweet! (Jesus I sound like Napoleon Dynamite, GOSH).

1 week later
#11424 1 year ago
Quoted from chillme:

Thanks for the hints. The competition mode is off. And my Wonkavator is functional, loading/ejecting balls is not a problem. Just odd the setting for between games is disabled. I'll need to check the menu's a bit more. Now just more curious as to why the setting is disabled.

Pretty strange ... knowing it isn't a major "thing", you still might want to pop in a support ticket with JJP, could be a small software bug that they would want to know about and fix in a future release, or they might have some other suggestion. The competition mode setting was a great idea, too bad that didn't do the trick.

#11442 1 year ago
Quoted from gorditas:

My topper from Tilt Topper finally arrived today. The wait was much longer than quoted, but it looks pretty darn good.
[quoted image]

Folks, has anyone heard anything from Tilt Topper in recent history? I ordered a Wonka topper in mid Feb, sent an inquiry in March and got a nice response from Dan that they were backed up (no problem!) and taking 3-4 weeks to produce the product. We got into April and I sent another message, and never heard back. And now I have sent ANOTHER message in May and not heard back. I really DO want the topper badly, but at some point if I have not heard from a company in over two months it becomes time to contact my credit card company and take action. I know this is pinball and patience is required for these small shops to produce, so if anyone knows if these guys are truly reputable then I'll stop my bitchin' and chill out a few more weeks

#11448 1 year ago
Quoted from theant:

I ordered mine in December and have gotten the same run around as you. I just emailed him once again on the 5th and total radio silence. That is not the way to run a business. My last response from him was February.

Well it turns out I need to chill out a bit longer on the Tilttopper Wonka topper. I called the company tonight, and within an hour (as in LATE - 8PM) Dan called me back, couldn't have been any nicer, apologized for the delay and explained they have been waiting for light controllers from Asia but should be getting the Wonkas and I think he said T2s out next week. Said they should have sent me a couple of emails, and sure as sh*t I found one from about a week ago buried deep in the spam folder. He said to keep an eye on the inbox and spam folders as I should be getting a delivery notice. So those guys are at least working some late hours and sounded extremely anxious to get orders out the door as he told me he is getting a number of queries everyday from customers which is understandable.

So theant sorry you have had a similar experience, but I think we'll be good to go soon and with a little more patience will wind up with some really sharp looking toppers. It may be that whatever system they are using for email is getting tagged as likely spam by the major email providers and updates are just not making it to your inbox. Keep the faith

1 week later
#11483 1 year ago
Quoted from frobozz:

Random number-of-balls weirdness is often trough opto problems (though usually it causes too many balls on the playfield, not too few!) So I'd start with the Trough Test under device tests in diag, and see if it sees all 6 balls, then 5, 4, etc as you eject balls one by one.

+1. Mine would randomly launch an extra ball sometimes, had to reflow the solder on the opto trough (JJP offered to replace, but reflow worked out just fine).

#11484 1 year ago
Quoted from mostater:

Good to know. I have my other games set up on smart plugs but was hesitant to do that on JJP games. I will now! Thanks!

Wonka and WOZ have always been on smart plugs in my house, zero issues.

#11509 1 year ago

FYI for those who have ordered and are awaiting the Tilt Topper Wonka topper to ship, I got a shipping notification today so orders are moving out the door.

#11513 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

Hmm. I ordered like two weeks ago after the guy told me I could expect it in a couple weeks. Hope mine goes out soon.

In total mine took about 3.5 months from placing the order to receipt of the topper. But the delay was due to parts they had backordered for a while, so hopefully they can keep up their production and get them out the door.

I installed mine today, and WOW it is a nice looking topper. The pictures don't do it justice. It has a nice dimensional look, and the changing colors perfectly complement the Wonka machine. For those of us who have to "suffer" with ONLY having a standard edition, this topper really adds to the appeal of the machine. I am sharing some pictures that show it before installation and how it is "layered" to give the dimensional effect. It seems very well built, the plug has a splitter so you don't need to buy anything extra if you are already utilizing the existing power source (I have the backglass extra lighting mod running on mine), and so it is just a quick plug and play. The power plug wire routes through the hole in the top of the backbox; just pop out the black insert that is roughly an inch in diameter and feed the cable through. It attaches with a velcro system via the "feet" on the bottom, but it has a nice wide base and once attached feels very solid ... no worries about it coming loose during normal play at home. The long wait was very well worth it for me!

IMG_7871 (resized).JPGIMG_7871 (resized).JPGIMG_7872 (resized).JPGIMG_7872 (resized).JPGIMG_7873 (resized).JPGIMG_7873 (resized).JPGIMG_7874 2 (resized).JPGIMG_7874 2 (resized).JPG
#11517 1 year ago
Quoted from woodmedic:

Mine works great. I would check the alignment.

Same, mine works great. Although I have found it is a little tougher for me to get the skill shot versus the feel of the original knob style that comes on the SE.

#11529 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Looks really nice! Where do you order this topper?

I ordered mine directly at tilttopper.com:

https://tilttopper.com/shop/ols/products/willy-wonka-pinball-topper

After I ordered it and paid for shipping I noticed you can get FREE shipping with your first order if you subscribe to their newsletter. Just scroll down on the main page. But regardless even with shipping it was well worth it for me

#11532 1 year ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Inside of the slot machine topper I purchased. This could be difficult to get working!
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like a fun project, bet it has one hell of a light show, keep us posted!

#11538 1 year ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

Is there any way to turn off Oompa Loompa Odyssey? I checked the settings and couldn't find anything. Whenever I get this mode I fall asleep for a few mins because it has a super long ball save and gives no points, and you can't complete anything else during it. I hope one day they updated it to allow scoring of other elements in it.

I'm a below average player and just racked up 900K points during Oompa Loompa Odyssey (I paid attention because of this thread). With the change in music, the light show, and for me a bit of a fun breather where I can still rack up points is not something I would imagine has a high demand from users to disable. But I'm sure some advanced players could be annoyed at not being able to complete other objectives during the mode ... I'm just happy to get to that mode myself May everyone have a pin-filled weekend!

1 week later
#11555 1 year ago
Quoted from barndoor:

Anyone selling Wonka toppers?

Tilttopper.com. Just go back a few posts within the last couple of weeks and there are several topper discussions, including photos and more useful info.

#11595 1 year ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

I have had Wonka for a while now and love the game. How much magnet action is everyone seeing? I rarely notice it. I have started to wonder if there was something wrong with my magnets.
Is there a particular mode where it comes more into play?

Aside from the obvious kid multiball magnet that holds the ball in place, the main playfield magnets only have a minor impact on ball travel ... enough to slightly change the trajectory when the magnet is activated, but not remotely close to what you see in the JJP WOZ machine for example (when the witch "throws" the ball around). I asked the same question after a few months of ownership

#11609 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Ha ha ha so funny. It’s like am I playing Addams Family cuz that ball whipped up the playfield.

LOL well now I am getting magnet envy, nothing like Pinside to make you think something might be "wrong" with your machine

#11610 1 year ago
Quoted from RandomRetro:

Can anyone with the TiltTopper share the height dimensions? Need to make sure I have room for it. Thanks in advance.

Wonka Tilttopper measures just a hair under 11.5 inches high at the highest point (and is 23 inches wide). Beautiful topper if you don't have a factory topper.

#11617 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Multiballs. It is usually a subtle direction change but it depends on the speed of the ball.
One time I saw it get yanked in the complete opposite direction!

Well funny enough I checked out your excellent YouTube video with the overview (love it), and sure enough at about 18 minutes the ball trajectory completely changes from the magnet and you point it out! Like you said, speed matters and looks like the ball needs to be going very slow or almost stopped to really see any significant magnet action (and even then it is not as dramatic compared to the WOZ witch that frequently really slings the ball around). For those that have not seen Derek's video, it is so helpful, especially for understanding all of the bells and whistles shown on the back monitor (yes rules have changed a little, but the vast majority of the content still applies).

#11623 1 year ago
Quoted from reffob:

Apologies if this is not the best place for this question but I'm wondering if there are any differences between Wonka's produced during the original 2019 run vs the 2021 run?

There are others with far more knowledge, but from what I gathered there are no official changes or production variations to Wonka (unlike say WOZ with different light board versions, etc.). Mine was made in Feb 2020. There are gazillions of posts regarding playfield issues and speculation on "early" runs vs "newer" runs (and JJP provided new playfields to some folks), but in my opinion you can add some post washers / protectors (like the ones that now come on GNR) and you will have a fine looking and beautiful playfield ready for years of action.

#11636 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

Lately I sometimes get a random ball added during gameplay. I’m assuming there is some trough opto issue, but I can’t see any issues when I fiddle with the trough connectors in switch test mode, and there are no errors showing. Anyone have suggestions?

Same happened to me, occasional random ball kicked out, the problem was the ball trough opto board. I was able to reflow the solder (as recommended by JJP) and have had no further issues (almost a year later, knock on wood), but you can open a ticket with JJP and they will either trade one out or sell you a new one (not too expensive if it is not under warranty), although they may or may not have it in stock. This is pretty common with this machine.

#11642 1 year ago

Aaah yes those are the points. I was totally skeptical and my soldering skills are that of a 5 year old, but it worked like a charm right off the bat for me. I did not even have to remove the board! But if that didn't work, a new board would have been needed. Certainly would try cleaning the optos first as others suggested first

Just a little more info I found from my old JJP support ticket ...

"Go into Test, Device Test, 6 Ball Trough Test and with either the front door closed or the high power interlock switch pulled out eject the balls one at a time and catch them until all are out of the trough. Once they are all squares on the screen should be olive green. Then drop the balls back into the trough one at a time and see if the optos are registering properly. Continue until all 6 balls are back in the trough."

So in my case, at first all squares were green, but after the machine fully warmed up and I started playing, as soon as the random extra ball would eject, I would go into the test and one of the squares would start flashing to yellow. So that might helo confirm the issue. But again, the reflow can be done in about 5 minutes without even removing the board (do turn machine off obviously!). Good luck and keep us posted.

#11658 1 year ago
Quoted from gorditas:

I think that there are too many variables for something like that. The adjustments are there to accommodate those variables and allow the game to play as intended.

100%. I adjusted mine up a couple of clicks from the factory setting, which gives it just enough power to reliably send the ball up the ramps even after playing for an hour. But the moral of the story is use the least powerful setting necessary, which saves wear and tear on the machine in the long run.

#11700 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

How would you compare this game to WOZ? Which one is enjoyable to play through code/profession/etc??
Trying to narrow down if I should get WOZ or Wonka. I have played both at location so have not gotten the ability to play in depth.

I have both, and I love both almost equally. As others with experience have said: overall, Wonka is just a bit more fun to play in the long run. WOZ is a bit more of a jaw dropper when someone sees it for the first time (still a great deal of fun to play).

#11737 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

I can see this being a Bolted to the floor game.
How would you rank this code versus other JJP games? Top 2 or worse?

Top 1 . Absolutely bolted! And yes modes galore all day long!

#11764 1 year ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

The 3D interactive wonkavator is awesome. I really like mine as it immediately draws your attention directly to it when it's on. I also recommend the full translight kit (cool white). I have them on all my JJPs. I like being able to see all the finer details and colors. Both are good mods IMHO.
Welcome to the club!

I bought the non-interactive version (it has lighting but that is it) ... looks nice but I regret not spending the extra for the nicer interactive one.

Lots of good lighting options, yes the translight looks awesome, plus I have the trough and rear playfield lights and love those.

My favorite lighting mod is the spotlights that light up the artwork on the middle of the playfield ... makes a massive difference, especially in a darker room: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1016-lermods/03012-willy-wonka-amp-the-chocolate-factory-pinball-spotlight-covers

#11784 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

Who else is waiting on a tilt topper? I feel like I'm in the movie The Money Pit. They're always "two weeks" away.

I waited several months for mine. Well worth it, but they should do a better job of setting delivery expectations. If you have Yahoo email, you might check your spam folder ... they did send a couple of updates to me that landed in the spam folder. But I would set your expectations to be 3 to 4 months, not weeks.

#11837 1 year ago
Quoted from JvdS:

The ball on the right ramp has tendency to fly out.
The plastic to prevent this (see somewhere in this group) is , i have to say ,very ugly.
Used some steel thread (was already white) with red small tape.
I’m trying this now. Looks like it works.

Nice try, very creative I personally don't mind the JJP clear one, but your question made me remember seeing this clear plastic alternative ... it looks like it covers JUST enough to keep the ball from flying out from the first turn, just an option to consider.

https://pu-parts.com/willy-wonka-ramp-plastic

6C7FFE5E-6660-4D39-8A7F-6F159B500FFE (resized).png6C7FFE5E-6660-4D39-8A7F-6F159B500FFE (resized).png
#11874 1 year ago
Quoted from ArcadeBar:

It sure doesn’t but for whatever reason this is the case on Wonka

Interesting, obviously results vary, but for me a speaker wire clipped on the Wonka crappy sub to a $15 Goodwill special powered sub (with adjustable crossover) sounds great for the low end. Midrange still sucks, but is acceptable for a pinball machine.

2 weeks later
3 weeks later
#12215 1 year ago

Truly zero negativity towards anyone on the pop bumper gate thing and it is a cool mechanical idea, but that alters the play too much for my cup of tea. Doesn't the code already account for this and sometimes return the ball if it it drains down the middle after hitting a pop bumper?

1 month later
#12496 1 year ago
Quoted from A330FOATL:

I'm in the process of applying art blades to my WW. As it's a very tight fit, has anyone had luck removing the playfield? I've done that with my Stern games, as it's very simple. The JJP's seem a bit more complicated to remove. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I laid down thick towels over the side rails, got a couple of boards, and just lifted the playfield out and set it on top of the boards (no unplugging of cables needed). I then easily applied the art blades with the playfield out, I put felt "tape" around the edges of the playfield, and slid it right back in. Now I can lift the PF and not worry about scratching the blades. Yes many people will say not to so this, but mine has held up perfectly for almost two years.

2 months later
#12687 1 year ago

I updated to the new code released on December 16th. As others mentioned, the big thing is there is a software equalizer now included for the sound. A few details:
- It has about 30 bands, so you can really tweak any frequency.
- Using the flippers, you can select all of the different songs in the game and ensure your settings sound good for everything.
- Also has a visual curve you can use on top of the equalizer sliders, but that was of limited value for me.

So how good is it? It is a GREAT addition that I have asked for in the forums previously. For me, the machine badly needed more ooomph on the bottom, and high frequencies were too harsh; this EQ totally lets you adjust to make the machine's sound much more balanced with the stock speakers.

But I had already added a Goodwill $10 external subwoofer that made it sound much betterin the low end, and the truth is that even with the EQ I will keep my current speaker setup. The Pinwoofer gentleman's comments are right on the money ... bottom line, if you want to have incredible sound, the factory speakers just are not going to ever sound fantastic. Good enough? For lots of folks, sure. For me it is a pinball machine and I don't need or expect home theater quality audio. But if you want the very best experience possible, absolutely a Pinwoofer kit (or similar upgrades) is a great way to go. Bottom line, the EQ is a fantastic and free addition that will help out the factory audio quite a bit; just don't expect a miracle. Many thanks to JJP for supporting their products and continuing to add functionality; this really is a great feature! If they would just bring back LTG ...

#12698 1 year ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Is this still a Beta release you're talking about, or is there finished code that's been released? I'm only seeing 2.03 on the site, which appears to be a year old.

Aaah yes I forgot I opted into the beta program and it just showed up ... do what LTG said (go into the settings under Network and you can opt-in, then when you connect next time and go to "updates" you should see the prompts to download and install the latest and greatest ... I think there were two updates back to back for me, previously was running the equivalent of 2.03)

Quoted from ktcoady12:

Hey all- does anyone have EQ settings they would like to share? Also, I am running stock speakers. Has anyone gone the pinwoofer route on WW? I lobe my WW but I do think its worthy of a sound upgrade- I have an alien SV and the sound blows me away on that game -

I don't have my machine handy at the moment but I bumped up the bottom 5ish or so sliders to boost the lower frequencies, and then cranked down the top 10ish sliders to reduce the treble (for example, to me the higher-pitched Wonka Bar count when you drain out is too harsh, toned it down a bit). Ultimately, try some things and see what your ears tell you

3 months later
#12954 12 months ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

WOZ is the greatest game of all time, IMO. Mine plays amazing - flippers are snappy… plays hard and fast. I love it. Can’t imagine ever letting it go. Owned it for 9 years

I have WOZ and Wonka, and neither will leave my collection. I enjoy Wonka slightly more, but guests and visitors are blown away with WOZ and cannot believe how many goodies are packed into that thing. Both are exceptional pins.

11 months later
#13925 4 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Exiting pinball and moving.

Dang! Well good luck to you in sunny CA and hope you wander back into the hobby down the road. You have definitely helped lots of folks and offered to help even more ... darned good human being stuff

Machine - For Sale

Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (CE)

New ad!

HUO - Documented (Home Used Only) - “I'm exiting pinball and moving, and need to sell.

This is #19, chosen for the year of manufacture.
Condition is great, save for a small area of playfield failure under the left ed...”

30 hours ago

Frisco, TX
(201 mi)

zaphX

12,500 (OBO)

Parts - For Sale

Wonka CE Playfield and Full Plastics Set

New ad!

New (selling one) - “We loved our Wonka so much (and played it so much) I purchased this so I could refresh the game to perfection at any time.

My game still doesn't need it, and I'm exiting pinball a...”

30 hours ago

Frisco, TX
(201 mi)

zaphX

2,000 (OBO)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 64.00
9,600 (OBO)
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 25.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.99
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider naf_llabnip.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside?tu=naf_llabnip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.