IMG_2445 (resized).jpeg
wonka (resized).jpg
ca1d7f7e-8a2b-4029-af32-f724544015c9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5842.jpeg
IMG_5849.jpeg
IMG_5853.jpeg
IMG_7855 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #149 Deep Dive on features and all that is wonka Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Post #150 SDTM video on Wonka - interview with Pat Lawlor and Joe Katz Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #160 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #188 Rules Flowchart Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #248 Features Matrix - CE, LE, SE Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #554 Early Stream of a home owner who received their game Posted by Habermania (4 years ago)

Post #785 Gobstopper subway VUK not ejecting ball fix Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #793 Gobstopper subway VUK fix pics for reference Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #1130 Latest code changelog Posted by LTG (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lrrr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4589 4 years ago

NIB LE arriving tomorrow. My first pin! I am pretty sure I will need to take the backbox off to get it upstairs with two people and a hand truck. Has anyone done this? What about taking out the playfield to reduce weight? Is this practical?

We can probably muscle it up, but making it as light as possible seems like a good idea--safest for the machine and people involved.

#4593 4 years ago

Checked out escaleras. $200 for 4 hrs. Might be worth it especially for the experience. Have never used one. Now to figure out if it will fit in my SUV. Might need to buy a pickup by tomorrow. What a great excuse to buy a truck.

Seriously though, thanks for the advice on the playfield. Will post pics of the job

77597 (resized).jpg77597 (resized).jpg
#4598 4 years ago

Getting pumped up for this. Just ordered shoulder straps for the dolly. I think I might try the playfield removal, or at least scope it out carefully. Will keep you posted

#4610 4 years ago

Well, game delivered. I moved it inside easily before helper arrived

20200227_155927 (resized).jpg20200227_155927 (resized).jpg
#4611 4 years ago

NO WAY that I can see to get this backbox off. Can't even figure out how to take off this screen. Soooo many wires from cabinet to backbox

20200227_163457 (resized).jpg20200227_163457 (resized).jpg
#4614 4 years ago

Magnets! Thanks

#4615 4 years ago

OK, feeling encouraged. Looks like a PC now as expected.

20200227_164701 (resized).jpg20200227_164701 (resized).jpg
#4616 4 years ago

Right bundle, the more difficult of the two, taken down and labled. A black and red wire can't be disconnected, heads unto the computer enclosure... The adventure is just beginning! So long warranty

20200227_171806 (resized).jpg20200227_171806 (resized).jpg
#4617 4 years ago

OK, easily disconnected in there

20200227_172627 (resized).jpg20200227_172627 (resized).jpg
#4618 4 years ago

Disconnected! Will post tomorrow re getting this baby running

20200227_174800 (resized).jpg20200227_174800 (resized).jpg
#4619 4 years ago

Decapitated! Upstairs!

20200227_185333 (resized).jpg20200227_185333 (resized).jpg
#4626 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The umbilical cord is usually long enough to remove the playfield and set it up on saw horses right next to it. Pretty easy, but best with 2 people. The best way to install the side blades. Currently doing just that with Hobbit, and replacing rubbers, and installing some mods that I've had for a while.[quoted image]

Nice playfield trick!

#4627 4 years ago

Faced with re-attaching two umbilicals now to get machine running. Almost took out playfield yesterday to make the move upstairs easier, but would have needed to cut subwoofer wires. Odd that everthing else had a connector. Would have been an easy repair, but it didn't feel right so we just left field in for the move.

20200227_192805 (resized).jpg20200227_192805 (resized).jpg20200227_192825 (resized).jpg20200227_192825 (resized).jpg
#4630 4 years ago

Success! No flaws that I have seen. Thanks JJP for a nice product.

20200228_213038 (resized).jpg20200228_213038 (resized).jpg
#4631 4 years ago

After about 50 games, started getting random extra trough ejections. Under device tests, the "trough error, all optos active" message comes and goes. Reseated all connection and problem persists. Doing some pinside research, have read the solution is to reflow the solder on the opto boards. This sound preferable to me over getting new boards from JJP, but would appreciate some advice

#4633 4 years ago

Thanks for quick reply. I suppose i should try just one board first. Coin toss?

#4641 4 years ago

Ok, if this fix holds, it will be one of my luckiest DIY fixes ever. Removed the outer trough opto board (transmitter,) and attempted to resolder the LEDs. I skipped the power connector because it looked solid. Couldn't really remove old solder because there is so little from the SMC technique. Also, very little metal exposed on the board. I smeared a blob of new solder on. See pic--not proud of this. So far this has worked. May have just been the reheating of the SMC solder that worked. I did completely remove one LED before resoldering. This was the one I was most worried about. Anyhow, wish me luck, and if anyone has some soldering advice, I would appreciate it. If problem recurs I will be a'soldering s'more

20200229_145903 (resized).jpg20200229_145903 (resized).jpg
#4642 4 years ago

I should also point out that this was almost certainly not a connector problem. I detached and reattached connectors multiple times, bent the prongs multiple ways, and jiggled every connector without a correlation with the trough opto error. I'll stop posting and get back to playing. I know this is simple stuff for most of you experienced tinkerers and technicians, but I'm giddy.

#4668 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Anyone else notice this? Should I be concerned?

Just checked my playfield from the gobstopper to the VUK and didn't see anything like this. Not experienced enough to say whether it is worrisome. (Doubt it though.)

#4671 4 years ago

5 days with machine at home and the captive ball shot is more difficult than at my favorite location. Same pitch. Hardest shot in game by far. Does this shot "loosen up" somehow over time? Adjustments?

#4678 4 years ago

Thanks @frobozz. Foam does seem to be the issue. Really OK to remove it? I can't forsee a problem as i could always replace it. Having the shot register maybe 20% of the time is kind of a fun killer.

20200304_163326 (resized).jpg20200304_163326 (resized).jpg
#4683 4 years ago

Haha, I removed the foam and now hit the captive ball shot with left and right flipper easily. Even the upper right flipper shot is pretty easy. Just curious, do you think that foam was a minor mistake in production? Or maybe all machines have it and it wears down quickly, making the shot bearable. The foam seemed pretty dense and sturdy. Thanks so much for the tip Frobozz!

#4698 4 years ago

Game is better without that foam unless you like the shot super difficult, or maybe your foam has worn out and shot has gotten easier. Have been checking in while at work to hear if people have that foam in place. Hard to see through the plastic ramp and whatnot, easier to see through playfield with playfield up.

Easy to remove--pull the target out. Would also be easy to replace. I have been paying a lot of attention to that captive ball over the last two days, and it sure doesn't look like it could damage the target or mounting anytime soon. I recommend no foam whether it be a "tweak" or a "fix." (Again, thanks frobozz)

#4703 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Wen I restored my TOTAN, I replaced all the switch foams throughout the game. for the switches behind each of the 2 captive balls, I cut the new foams back in half with an exacto knife for this exact reason.

Great idea. I saved that piece of foam and may do this.

#4720 4 years ago
Quoted from RhinoPins:

Printed a new mod for my SE and thought I’d share. Cheers![quoted image]

The edible teacup. Sweet mod.

#4731 4 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Toying with buying a Wonka to route. How's it doing for you operators?

I am not an operator, but have played at four locations and have some input that might be helpful. This game does not draw money from me at dark places. The GI is relatively poor. Put it somewhere well lit and it will probably do better

#4766 4 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

Just placed my order for a Wonka LE today. This will be my first pinball ever and I'm very excited.

Also my first pin, and I have been really happy with the purchase. Two features that I wasn't expecting to love, but do: the shaker and the coindoor volume adjustment. Have fun!

3 weeks later
#4878 4 years ago

From day one my Wonka has had a noticable hum. Oherwise functions well. Sounds like a 60hz hum coming from the power supply, not the speakers. Is this normal?

#4883 4 years ago
Quoted from slippifishi:

I had a very loud transformer when my LE was delivered.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like a "healthy" hum, just a bit louder than I would expect

#4888 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

I had this on my potc,added some rubber dampers under the transformer , and it was gone.

As a test, I unbolted the transformer and temporarily put it on a towel. The hum completely dissapeared. Ordered some rubber washers and installed on both sides of the connectors as you described. At first there was still a little buzz from the sides of the bolts touching the connectors. Had to jiggle it a little to get the bolts to not touch metal. Now hum free. Thanks!

#4889 4 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:Curious as well. Trying to decide between jurassic park premium and a wonka LE for my next pin. I have deadpool and ball times are pretty long. Have a star wars premium as well and prefer the shorter times

Out of the box, I thought Wonka ball times were on the short side. I adjusted the outlane posts, and now ball times are about the same as Deadpool. Wonka has many more risk/reward choices to make than Deadpool. My Deadpool games are all about the same length, but Wonka lengths depend more on what I choose to shoot for. Lots of fun.

1 week later
#4992 4 years ago
Quoted from Skipnatty:

It's your game in your home, your enjoyment is most important. I don't have the post installed and prefer it that way, but plenty people do have it installed and find the game more enjoyable...all about what's going to keep you having fun.

I love that post soooo much. Today is Earth Day, but in my heart it is Post Day.

1 week later
#5031 3 years ago
Quoted from DarthFett72:

Hey everyone....I’m considering buying a nib Wonka but unsure which model is best for the money.

I have an LE. SE vs LE:

1) If you like shakers, you will be happy with the way it is implemented in this game. 2)It is a nice powdercoat treatment. 3) The physical wonkavator is cool. I would have been fine with the virtual lock, but after two months of ownership, the wonkavator still feels special. Both the lock and release are fun. Almost like two mechs in one. If/when it breaks, my opinion will change! 4) The LE looks a little better in the left upper playfield. There are some lighting kits that spruce up the SE, but I haven't seen this in person. 5) The volume switch on the coin door is a nice feature.

You can't go wrong with either choice. Great game.

1 week later
#5164 3 years ago

Never had a problem hitting that ramp from cradle from a flipper power point of vew. Now aiming, that's a different story

#5242 3 years ago
Quoted from TonLoc777:Sorry, last issue. What is up with the massive audio pop when you first turn on the game. Happens about 10 secs after you turn it on. Audio sounds super thin and way too much treble. Headphones sound great. It’s like there is no bass in this game coming from the main speakers.

Have read that the pop is harmless, but installed this, happy with the results:

https://pinballmods.co/jjp-startup-pop-eliminator-device

The music is not great. To me, it also sounds thin with my best headphones. Probably due to the music being pulled from the old movie soundtrack, and also the orchestration. Lots of violins for the airy sound. I'll try a subwoofer as described above at some point. Got used to it though, bugged me for a couple of days.

#5253 3 years ago
Quoted from TonLoc777:

Now it feels like the world of wonka. Added grass trim and some candy. Really happy with the way it turned out
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Love it. Thanks for posting pics.

#5257 3 years ago

Got around to printing some apron cards. My wife likes the ticket, but I'm sticking with the Wonkatania for now.

20200516_172950 (resized).jpg20200516_172950 (resized).jpg20200516_173356 (resized).jpg20200516_173356 (resized).jpg20200516_173110 (resized).jpg20200516_173110 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#5342 3 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

I have played a craptonne (metric) of this game recently. i feel like the slings are the right power. they are a little soft. if they were rocketing the ball around i think it would be a total drainfest. We all know how tough the left outlane is. imagine if you didn't have any time to nudge as it was going 1000 mph over there!
Got my grand champ score today. Love the game. Third time to Wonka's Office. Still not sure if I should be just alternating left and right ramps during this mode?!
Signed,
Previous JJP skeptic.

I agree that the slings are fine from a gameplay perspective. From a mechanical point of vew, they are not very satisfying. Tried adjusting sling power in menu and it didn't seem to make a difference.

#5343 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Hi All
Couple of things with my Wonka CE-
First- the left loop
When coming out of the pop bumpers the ball rattles around, hits the metal Gobstopper shield on right, bounces over to the left ball guide and that puts it on a direct SDTM trajectory nothing I can do.. really taking the fun out of the game.
Anyone else had this..
2nd - left speaker- sometimes OK, then goes “Tinney” and grainy.
I have heard of this problem before, I’ve taken a look inside the backbox, To try and trace the wires - do I need to take the metal shield off the top part, as that’s where the go..
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Pops down the middle is one of the main drains of the game as designed. On other games, the pops are a relaxing time to take a sip of beer. On this baby, the pops are a time to check your stance and tighten up your core in prep for a meganudge. There was a post awhile back of installing an extra post so the left flipper is always fed from the pops. It sounds like you might like that tweak.

#5351 3 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

I think that mod is awesome, however, do you feel it changes the game too much from the original intention?
I dont know.

Personal preference. I have come to enjoy the pop return. An unavoidable SDTM about 10% of the time feels OK to me. It makes me consider the risk of shooting the left orbit, and wanting superlock to be lit when shooting the right orbit. It looks like a totally reversible tweak

1 month later
#5770 3 years ago

I'm hoping to b try my game for awhile with the playfield magnets off. Any easy way to do this? I've scoured the settings and haven't found anything. I've also gone through the manual a bit to see if there is a simple connector that could be unplugged, but couldn't find anything. I could de-solder the wires. Might do this but was hoping for a more easily reversible option. Has anyone else found the magnets a bit annoying? (Not the kid multiball lane magnet)

#5773 3 years ago

I don't dislike the magnets, but would like to give it a try without them for a bit. Looking at the wires currently.... hard to trace them without cutting the ties, but it looks like there might be connectors. Going to coil test now

#5774 3 years ago

Looks like undoing these two connectors did the trick. Hopefully didn't disable anything else

20200801_224905 (resized).jpg20200801_224905 (resized).jpg20200801_224922 (resized).jpg20200801_224922 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#5985 3 years ago

Has anyone tried adjustments to the gobstopper target to make the hole shot easier from the right flipper? Having direct shots rejected doesn't feel right. I was thinking of bending the target to face more downward, but that is a really solid piece of metal. I loosened the spring, but it didn't make a difference.

#5987 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

No, I like having the option to bang the target to goose the bonus multiplier, then post-pass left and sink it when I'm ready.

Completing the wonkavator and gobstopper multiballs has been inconsistent for me. Disconnecting the playfield magnets has helped some. Once the hole is open during those multiballs I fire every shot at that sucker and get rejected too often. Ball goes in randomly more often than with a direct shot. I know I can get control of a ball with the left flipper and then backhand, but thats not my multiball style. Might try bending the target tonight. Or might fiddle with that rubber circle

#5988 3 years ago

Bending that metal was tough, and I was a little impatient. I am posting these before and after pics so you guys can maybe have a laugh. I am not proud.

Despite the poor craftmanship, this did nicely change the angle so a straight shot geometrically directs the ball straight into the hole. It helped only a little, and I know why. Topspin! That rubber circle is super grippy and grabs the topspin causing the ball to rattle out. If I had mylar i would try to put some on the circle, but I don't. Duct tape would be funny, but not slippery enough. I am going to apply Scotch tape, play a bunch of games and report back tomorrow.

20200918_152919 (resized).jpg20200918_152919 (resized).jpg20200918_153211 (resized).jpg20200918_153211 (resized).jpg
#5991 3 years ago

Gobstopper hole shot from right flipper now one of my favorite shots in the game. Before tweaks was 20% success, now 90%.

For anyone interested, easy reversible things to try are 1) detach one of the springs 2) put something non-stick on the rubber target to prevent topsin rattle.

2 weeks later
#6145 3 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

So tomorrow my WWLE arrives...how excited should I be?
FWIW....I chose this over AFMr.

Very excited! Be patient with the rules. They don't make sense at first, and the lights don't really tell you what to do. The call outs are a little cryptic too, but are very consistent. Certain quotes from the movie guide you, but it is not obvious at first what they are telling you to do. Oh, and the shots to complete Augustus make no sense: Right ramp, left loop. Oh and... i could go on and on. Great pin, have fun!

#6146 3 years ago

For some reason today I decided to turn off the game music and crank GnR while playing. It was a blast.

#6169 3 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

May have found the offending component.
When I disconnect the saucer opto The game finds all the balls and fires up just fine. Sadly the saucer is a required feature, so looks like this game is outta commission for the family party.
Anyone with experience have suggestions on a workaround for a bad single reflective opto board? 15-100012-00[quoted image]

You can reflow the solder on that opto board. Worked for me durably on the trough opto board.

#6179 3 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

So the flippers on my WWLE seem just a touch underpowered....
Who here has increased their flipper strength in the settings?
If so, did you adjust all of them equally?...and by how much?

I am at 20, 20, 14, 16

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

11,000 (OBO)
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lrrr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside?tu=lrrr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.