IMG_7465 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8062 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8060 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8198 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240313_180544714 (resized).jpg
IMG_5638 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #149 Deep Dive on features and all that is wonka Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Post #150 SDTM video on Wonka - interview with Pat Lawlor and Joe Katz Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #160 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #188 Rules Flowchart Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #248 Features Matrix - CE, LE, SE Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #554 Early Stream of a home owner who received their game Posted by Habermania (4 years ago)

Post #785 Gobstopper subway VUK not ejecting ball fix Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #793 Gobstopper subway VUK fix pics for reference Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #1130 Latest code changelog Posted by LTG (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kidkoffee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7162 3 years ago

Can one of you Wonka SE owners confirm something for me? Here’s a pick of the pcb (behind backglass). Mine came with the 10 pin header with the powder blue wires unattached - bottom of board. Lines up with J113 on the board. Is this right, or did it come loose in shipping? Really appreciate any help here.

8CB93C05-5CAA-4804-9105-D6E294859444 (resized).jpeg8CB93C05-5CAA-4804-9105-D6E294859444 (resized).jpeg
#7163 3 years ago

Nvm...found it in the manual. This thing must have got bounced around pretty good in shipping. My gobstopper even left some paint on the glass. J113 powers the start button light and some other accessories not on the SE.

#7168 3 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Yes it should plug right back in that spot... I took a picture of mine hopefully it helps.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yep, I plugged it in and all is well. Thanks. I was told this was one of the last ones in the plant. It was supposed to go overseas but the order got canceled, so they converted back to 110V and sold stateside. Maybe (hopefully) it was accidentally unplugged during the switchover and not during shipping...

#7169 3 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

Is that a Kingston SSD in there? One small pet peeve for JJP machines is the long bootup time. Surprised it takes as long as it does even with an SSD inside these.

Yep, and agreed...still a long boot.

#7177 3 years ago
Quoted from chillme:

Compared to my MMr the boot is actually quick. It's all relative

Lol, right. Definitely not even a consideration for me when choosing/rating a game, just truth.

#7205 3 years ago
Quoted from Gasoline:

Every time you shoot the ball to do a Pure Imagination loop (left lane under WonkaVision) it increases the count by 500. Not sure when/how you collect it.

It also increases when you shoot the spinner loop, but still not exactly sure why. Best way to find out is to video your game lol. Too hard trying to watch that and play. My guess is that it’s just the value for hitting that loop and it’s collected every time you hit it.

#7206 3 years ago
Quoted from Kidkoffee:

It also increases when you shoot the spinner loop, but still not exactly sure why. Best way to find out is to video your game lol. Too hard trying to watch that and play. My guess is that it’s just the value for hitting that loop and it’s collected every time you hit it.

Correction...only the left Wonkavision ramp raises this. Spoke too soon. I just had my best game yet trying to watch for this though lmao...proving again that, like golf, less focus is sometimes better!

#7259 3 years ago

So I know there’s been a lot of talk about the sound quality of this pin. I’m an audio guy, and I agree with those who think it’s awful on this game. My pin also had a lot of loose parts on the playfield and my gobstopper lost paint on the glass in shipping. The metal rail on my center ramp was also improperly installed...This is my first JJP and I’m actually pretty shocked and upset that a game that costs $7500 for the base model would have crappy sound like this and these other issues.
On the sound - I have it sitting right next to a Jurassic Park Pro with zero sound adjustments or modifications, and the JP blows it away even after I just added a sub to the WW. The sub definitely helped, but upsetting that I had to spend more money to get this sounding decent. I’m still tweaking, but wanted to show what I’ve done. I have the Elac SUB1010. Turned the low pass all the way up, and adjusted the volume to blend. I used the Pinnovators kit to tie in, but soldered to the speaker instead of using pin-taps. Not sure if this kit was necessary, but it works well - no noise. I also used material to dampen the mids slightly, and the tweeters quite a bit. See pic. Right now I have a stack of gauze pads behind some carbon filter material I had lying around. This helped a bunch. I’m sure I’ll mess around with other materials bc that’s what I do...sigh...and I’ll update if I find something better. It’s really important to dampen the tweeters though imo, because they are the only speakers firing right at your head. A stupid design imo, and even more infuriating that they don’t have a mixer in the software as others have said. Love the game otherwise.

860253BF-D75E-4CBD-A264-86724BAB2BFF (resized).jpeg860253BF-D75E-4CBD-A264-86724BAB2BFF (resized).jpeg
#7262 3 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Dude, it doesn't sound that bad, c'mon...That's a bit of a stretch. It's Willy Wonka, not a Rock Pin. I traded a JP Prem for my Wonka SE and prefer the sound package of this.

No stretch at all here. Doesn’t make sense to me, but maybe some sound better than others as has been suggested before. Not mine. Upward firing speakers just can’t sound good in an application like this, rock pin or not. They would have been wiser to use smaller mid speakers and face them forward with the tweeters Again, I’m an audio guy and admittedly more sensitive to this than others, but my entire family and anyone else who has played both of my pins agree. If you’re happy with yours the way it is, cheers.

#7264 3 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I’m An audio guy too. Have mixed music for years. Wonka music doesn’t have a ton of low end, doesn’t need it. Maybe you have an issue with yours, not sure. Mine sounds great IMO

Sub brings out a ton of low end. There’s more there than you think. My post was for those in the “crappy sound” camp though lol. If you like yours, that’s great. You gotta admit that simple mixer in the software would go a long way to making more people happy either way though.

#7266 3 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

No doubt it would for sure. Hope you are enjoying the pin otherwise. It’s a flow monster.

Yes, a “grail” theme for me, and the flow is great like many Lawlor games. Funhouse was my favorite pin back in my day...

#7273 3 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

Pinball cabinets are not designed at all for audiophile standards. The grills for the speakers aren't even acoustically transparent on any of these companies' cabinets. As long as the bitrate for the sound and music is CD quality which it is, boomy bass is always misinterpreted as good sound quality. But that's all you really need in a pinball machine is bass.

Right. This needed bass. Especially when the tweeters are the only thing pointing right at your face. Definitely not expecting audiophile standards lol...just good sound quality which I have almost achieved with a sub and some damping.

Quoted from Yelobird:

Is it Possible the sound quality recordings they used as an asset from a 1970 movie 50 years ago Might be slightly lower quality then say a JP movie that was recorded in Dolby surround??

Look, as I said earlier, my post was directed more to the people who agree that the sound is bad, not to argue with those of you who are satisfied. Posts like this confuse me because everyone’s ears and music/sound preferences are different. Maybe you work for JJP or are a huge fan. This is just my honest, unbiased opinion that many others appear to share. I love the game otherwise, which is why I spent even MORE money to make the audio better. JP doesn’t have upward firing speakers, it has sound adjustment options, and yes...better original audio. Maybe someone who knows can chime in and explain the decisions on the speakers and lack of adjustments in the software. I don’t know how anyone can argue that either of these 2 decisions were wise, but again, if you’re happy with it as-is, great.

#7276 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I asked you a simple question. No doubt or debate expressed or implied. Don’t like it good for you and last I checked I didn’t say you were wrong I simply asked was it Possible??

Lmao. Bullsh*t. You asked an obvious question, capitalized the word “Might”, used two question marks...wow. Your entire “innocent” question was oozing with sarcasm/argumentative tone. Own it. Good day sir.

1 week later
#7342 3 years ago
Quoted from Vabeachrunner4:

Hey all...just picked up a standard and we’re loving it so far! Question about the monitor and if anyone has any recommendations on the “best” settings for it? I know it could be totally subjective but my Wonka LCD looks kind of washed out and not as vibrant as my DILe in comparison. Anyone else notice anything like it?

Were you able to adjust your monitor settings successfully? Mine is in a dark room, so I just dialed down the brightness from 100 to 75, and upped the contrast from 50 to 80. Looks tons better to me now, but I think it will be very room/lighting specific. I didn’t venture in to the advanced adjustments, but would be curious to hear if you or anyone else did. Cheers.

#7421 3 years ago
Quoted from Troostr:

Still nothing. Just the wonkavision lights up on the playfield.

Just curious...have you tried going in to the menu and seeing if they will light in test mode?

#7435 3 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Looks good! I have some of the HM Oompa Loompas but I haven't put them on yet. I feel like I still get enough random airballs that it would get shattered and I'd be picking tiny glass shards out of everything forever.

I have the Hallmark Oompa Loompa installed in the shooter lane. Helps hide the wires on the factory ramp and my kids think it looks like he’s holding up the glass lol. Found mine on eBay for under $10 I believe...

925BDB8F-9888-40B1-8FB8-E9EC97E6D502 (resized).jpeg925BDB8F-9888-40B1-8FB8-E9EC97E6D502 (resized).jpeg
#7457 3 years ago
Quoted from rodcom:

All put the cheater post in with with rubber rings. Now the ball getting stuck as it goes down. Any ideas?[quoted image]

Or you could remove the metal washer if you like the rubber on there. Set mine up like yours sans washer and it works fine too.

#7459 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Metal washer is lower then the radius of the ball. The gap of the lane with rubber on both sides is to small.

Just edited my post, but mine works with the rubber just fine. Definitely could be true if he has a bigger ring on his though.

#7478 3 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Today I installed the Hallmark 2017 Wonka Christmas ornament, Mezel chocolate bars and ModCouple good/bad egg and chocolate falls mods. I still have the Charlie burp tube of danger mod to install if I can find a place for it. The playfield is crazy busy, I think I'm definitely done adding toys to this game now, lol. Only other thing I want to do is adding some bass to the game...perhaps a Pinwoofer system is next.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from naf_llabnip:

That looks pretty sweet, well done sir! I hear you on the Pinwoofer thing. As a new owner and having read back through this entire thread's messages, I saw lots of discussion about the sound quality for the machine ... and I thought I would be fine with the stock setup, but absolutely needs some more ooomph in the audio department (low frequencies anyway), so an inexpensive external woofer will be coming soon.

I’ve said a lot about this already , but I’ll just say that I never wanted to add a subwoofer to a pinball before Wonka. Now that I have, I need them on every game. I wired my other machine into the same subwoofer with the Pinnovators kit and they both sound awesome. Interestingly, Wonka sounds better than JP now, even with both hooked to the sub. You just have to find the right balance. I honestly think it’s the best mod for the money on any new pin. You will be shocked at how good you can make this game sound. Takes the experience to a whole new level. Cheers.

#7481 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Would you say it adds a lot to Wonka? I have subs on other pins, and some definitely are better than others. For example, my GB is great with it, but my TWD is basically useless having it.
I am one of those people who feel that Wonka's sound is poor, so I am assuming I would benefit from this...

Yes, definitely. I did some other things that I explained in another post to dampen the highs as well, but it is a night-and-day difference to me now that I have the mix right. Takes the whole experience up a notch. There's way more bass than some may think in there...In a dark room, with the awesome light show, subwoofer, and maybe a few adult beverages , it's a pretty immersive experience now. My JP sounds better with the sub too, but WW benefitted way more and sounds better than JP to us now. These modern pins are so "cinematic" with their displays and detail, that I won't be without a sub again! If you go for it, I'd be curious to hear what you think.

#7485 3 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

The sound quality on my Wonka LE has little to no bass. It sounds like all treble and no punch or bass. This is how my Houdini was until I added a Polk external sub connected to the factory amplifier and adjusted the bass and treble gain knobs to my liking. Made a HUGE difference in the sound quality and immersion when playing Houdini.
I see Wonka also has a lower cabinet woofer, but I don’t hear much, if any, bass. Is there a way to turn up the lower frequencies on the built in audio system or does one have to go with a PinWoofer system? Most of my games have either PinWoofer or PinSound+ systems, but some have killer factory sound like Iron Maiden LE or Hobbit LE. Wonka definitely needs help in the audio department!

Pinwoofer if you can afford it and don’t want the external sub. Never heard one, but I’m pretty sure they are nice and prob the way to go bc they have EQ adjustments. Pinnovators kit and the Elac or Polk 10” sub for less than 1/2 the price if you’re cheap like me and don’t mind damping and tweaking you until you get it right.

Quoted from Rager170:

Sounds good! I might take my sub off my TWD and try it out on Wonka.
Does Wonka have a Sub-Out connector or are people wiring them to the speaker inside the cabinet?

No sub out on Wonka. Some just use alligator clips off of the cabinet speaker, but I used the Pinnovators kit. If you go this route, don’t get the push-on kit they recommend for Wonka SE/LE unless the terminals are free. On mine, the speaker wires were soldered to the push on terminals, so I just soldered in as well (see pic). Get this one if you have the larger gauge wires like mine did and don’t want to mess around with soldering -
https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/collections/all-other-systems-subwoofer-kits/products/pinsub-subwoofer-kit-multi-system-blue
Once you guys get these things set, no more slot machine sounds. I’m sure you’ll agree. I sound like a subwoofer salesman now lol...but I guarantee no other mod will improve your experience with this pin like this will! GL.

7BC5783B-E120-4617-B6CE-12B2FE528158 (resized).jpeg7BC5783B-E120-4617-B6CE-12B2FE528158 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#7757 3 years ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

I'll be on the lookout for that; I can see that over time that could be an issue if the adhesive stops working on the back of the tape or if something catches and pulls it off (mine so far is smooth as butter, we'll see how it holds up).

I agree with Rager170 on this. I have the Pinball Universe blade protectors and they work great on my Stern and JJP machines. As others have pointed out, Wonka is definitely a tight squeeze though! I have to pull on the left ramp a bit to get the protector down in there, but it works just fine (I have PinGraffix art blades on as well). 1 set can be used for multiple machines, takes a second to put on before lifting the playfield, they are pretty cheap, and safer than the potential mess of felt tape...an all around great product imo. Just my $.02

#7915 3 years ago
Quoted from Gumby510:

I’m going to assume this rod is not supposed to be sticking out like this?
[quoted image]

Happened to mine too. Just pushed it back in flush with the flat edge of some small channel locks.

#7976 3 years ago

Any other Mac users still having trouble with this update? I’ve tried all methods listed here (drag and drop, Terminal, Balena Etcher), plus a couple of my own. Running latest version of Big Sur. Each time all files appear to copy to the flash, but when I insert it into the usb cable and power up the pin, it doesn’t recognize the flash at all and boots up normally. I make sure to completely erase and format to FAT32 each time. I’ve tried both 32GB and a 16GB Sandisk drives so far. Also, I used a separate 16GB flash to backup settings, which worked just fine.

#7978 3 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Are you using Unetbootin to install the update? It makes the flash drive BOOTABLE.

I can’t seem to get that to work with Big Sur, so have been trying the suggested workarounds.

#7981 3 years ago
Quoted from frobozz:

If, after all that, the game still doesn't boot from the drive, you may have a boot-order issue which is most easily fixed by hooking up a keyboard and booting into the BIOS setup screen to set the boot order.

This. Thank you. I have tried exactly the steps above a few times now and it won’t boot. Should I open a ticket with JJP, or is it pretty simple? Just plug a usb keyboard in to the pin? Assuming I would have to hold a key or 2 when the game is booting to get to the menu? Also, I have a usb led strip plugged in to the cpu in the open port. Could this be effecting the boot order? Thanks again.

#7989 3 years ago
Quoted from frobozz:

I'm a Mac nerd so I don't know all the PC stuff by heart, but if you hook up a USB keyboard and mash on some key (F2?) right after power-up it will bring up a BIOS setup screen and you can set up the boot order there. I can't imagine the motherboard is trying to boot from an LED strip but who knows. Couldn't hurt to disconnect that while you're trying this other stuff.

Okay...So I decided to try yet another (3rd) USB Drive as suggested by @swampy, and it finally worked...crazy. 3rd time's a charm I guess. All drives I used were Sandisk. The one that finally worked is the oldest (8GB) flash drive that I still own. Anybody else in my situation, I guess just keep changing flash drives until you find the Golden Ticket Thank you guys for all the advice.

2 years later
#13216 7 months ago

Hesitantly thinking of adding Pin Stadiums to my Wonka Standard. I’ve had the game for a while and love it…but it gets neglected by my kids, their friends, and anyone else who comes over to play because it’s so damn hard to see after you’ve played one of the better-lit games sitting next to it. I also don’t want to lose the cool effects. Opinions here? Are Neo Atoms worth it if I plan to set the lights at the dimmest playable setting, or would the standards do fine? Anyone play with adding spotlights with colored bulbs? We usually play in the dark or near-dark. Thanks for any pics or opinions.

#13226 7 months ago
Quoted from SuperMas77:

Don't hesitate, just do it! This game is impossible to play in the dark without Pinstadiums. They are a must. You won't regret it one bit.

Quoted from daveyvandy:

Highly recommend pin stadiums for this game. Added benefit of the atoms is that they are much thinner so they don't hang into the game as much. You don't need to put them at full brightness either to get a great benefit out of them. You can also use coupon codes at the Pin stadium site - "SDTM" if it still works for 10% off.

Quoted from MagicJack:

Kidkoffee ... don't hesitate a second !! I will go as far as saying that if you never played Wonka with some PS Atom FUSION,you've never played Wonka. The difference is that huge !! ... My friend and I took a bet that was : "Can we play a whole game with the Pinstadiums at "off" ? ... after 1 ball each we were done ... just impossible to go back. Don't believe me ? Check this real time non edited 3 minutes video shot in 4k ... you'll see that the effects are not overly done and that everything is perfectly balanced. It's important to buy the "Fusion" because you'll have all these incredible colored effects, well worth the $ difference.

Quoted from Joker19:

Can attest to that. Install a set of Neo Atom Fusion on Wonka and it makes it shine. They were easy to installed, but only installed 3 of the 4 Fusion flashers as per Pinstadium's recommendation. It was pretty easy to install and nothing permanent that cannot be undone easily.

Quoted from gumnut01:

Personally love the game with the dark moody lighting. Any extra lighting would kill Oompa odyssey for me. Still if you can’t see the ball then go for it.

Thanks to all for input. I read the “archives” here too lol and decided to order. Most I’ve ever spent on a mod by far, but I love Lawlor, the game, the theme…everything…but I do struggle to see the ball and don’t like playing with house lights on. Anxiously awaiting now. Lightning fast customer service so far, and I think they may even be here tomorrow I’m a DIY-er so this was tough to swallow, but the pics, videos, and comments made it irresistible. Thanks again guys.

#13244 7 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Im curious if I will have more issues as I get older as my eyes are slowing being not what they used to be.

This is me for sure. Bought this game before glasses, once I needed them, the ball has gotten harder and harder to see...I'm 50...

Quoted from GrooTheWanderer:

As a side note for Ooompa Loompa Odyssey, there is an in-game config to control the light setting during it to be slightly less dark if desired. Even the developers thought it might be too dark. I love the dark green glow of that multiball mode, but without any ambient room lighting, you might as well play blindfolded.

Just installed tonight. Have you played with this setting using PinStadiums? This mode is extra seizure-inducing for me right now with the new lights. Still playing with colors, brightness, and settings for now. Gonna try a few more games as-is before I try the coin door instead of the shaker motor connection. I actually adjusted the motor to "EXTREME" and it seems to have gotten better.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
10,000 (Firm)
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 32.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 64.00
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods
Plastics
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Brownsburg, IN
Machine - For Sale
Mccordsville, IN
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 91.00
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kidkoffee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside?tu=kidkoffee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.