IMG_2445 (resized).jpeg
wonka (resized).jpg
ca1d7f7e-8a2b-4029-af32-f724544015c9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5842.jpeg
IMG_5849.jpeg
IMG_5853.jpeg
IMG_7855 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #149 Deep Dive on features and all that is wonka Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Post #150 SDTM video on Wonka - interview with Pat Lawlor and Joe Katz Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #160 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #188 Rules Flowchart Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #248 Features Matrix - CE, LE, SE Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #554 Early Stream of a home owner who received their game Posted by Habermania (4 years ago)

Post #785 Gobstopper subway VUK not ejecting ball fix Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #793 Gobstopper subway VUK fix pics for reference Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #1130 Latest code changelog Posted by LTG (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jackd104.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10386 2 years ago

Hey all. I’m joining the club! About to unbox my LE. As a newb to this machine any common issues to watch out for or must have protectors etc? TIA

#10391 2 years ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

Congrats, it truly is a very special game, snag you a wifi dongle (be sure to get one that works with this machine, posted several times in this forum), get the code updates, and enjoy the show!

Thank you both for the tips. Everything about this game worked out of the box. Not only that, it seemed all dialed in and played great. The only thing was it seems awful hard to hit the right ramp. I increased the left flipper strength by a few points and solved that. There was some minor cleaning to do from the factory. There was a foot print on the plywood on the underside which was kind of funny actually but it wiped off. Some fingerprints on the display which came off. The invisiglass has a couple of small blemishes that don’t clean off, seems like some kind of damage or flaw. Can’t notice too much during gameplay but I might see if distro can replace. A washer and a nut fell into the cabinet during the first few games so need to try to figure if they came off something important or maybe they were just lost during manufacturing and finally fell out.

You are right, it’s a beauty. I’m really impressed with the build quality and the game itself is pretty amazing. The idea was to have a family friendly pin my son and wife could enjoy and it really lives up to that. I did connect to Wi-Fi but it was up to date. I tried Bluetooth but apparently no Bluetooth dongle included. I suppose it would plug into the same place. Although I don’t know what I’d do with the Bluetooth. Maybe to sync it to an external sound system?

The ramps drop onto the inlane switches so I was thinking could use metal switch protectors. But there is Mylar there so maybe that’s fine. It seems like the game came with lots of protectors in the right places.

Cheers
Jack

#10392 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnJ1366:

Stock 3 ball game - Cheater post add to “hardest” spot - right inlane moved 1/2 way.

What’s considered the hardest spot? I suppose it would be the lower of the two spots?

#10393 2 years ago

I’d love to see what folks have done for custom rubber colors on this game. Please share!

1 week later
#10489 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:Did you submit a ticket for the glass and Gobstopper? I received replacements for both when mine arrived with the same issue. The service department was very responsive.

Same happened to my glass. I complained to my distributor but haven’t heard much. I will try the ticket. Is this the place?

http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Support-Form/

#10511 2 years ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

No rubber for me. I like it raw and it came to me that way.
[quoted image]

This is how I have finally settled on setting mine up. Rubber on the optional post, far left, and not on the post between the inlanes (btw my game came with that rubber there). Reason is, with rubber on the outermost post it is more viable to nudge to save from from the left drain, which adds a little more fun for me. Something more to interact with. The rubber can’t go on both because the ball won’t clear through so in choosing one vs the other I chose the left most for that reason.

Ps - this is not a comment about what jjp intended or not, just what I decided I like best. I think at this point everyone should just decide for themselves. It seems like this is just a bit of a design oversight and their only “fix” was to advise removing the rubber

#10533 2 years ago

Update: I contacted JJP about blemish on invisiglass from gobtopper rub during ship and they are sending me a new glass. Yay!

#10585 2 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

I'm still getting to know some of the shots and call outs. I hear the game say things like "shoot the saucer" and I'm like: I don't really see one in this game?

Is it just me or are the callouts inconsistent regarding naming of shots? Sometime the calls “camera ramp” the “left ramp”? And sometimes “left ramp” meaning the actual furthest left ramp and sometimes that ramp is “gobstopper ramp”?

#10642 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

The technical service bulletin says you can use an empty slot on the computer if you want to use both dongles. Is there an empty slot? I've seen posts where people say to use a hub.
[quoted image]

Quoted from insight75:

Have you called Joe Pinballstar or at Mike at Automated?

Automated services in CT had ww in stock in early January. That is when/where I bought mine. Easy to deal with. I went to pick up myself and Mike let me play all the games in the showroom as long as I wanted. Great fun.

1 week later
#10691 2 years ago
Quoted from Meri-cah:

Just ordered a brand new LE. Shipping tomorrow and hope to have it next week. Game looks pretty amazing and it will go well with my current line up.
Looking forward to joining the club. I’ve been in the hobby and work on/refurbish/rebuild old machines along with enjoy new ones.
Any tips or tricks are appreciated. Thanks all!

Congrats. I’ve had mine about a month and liked it right away and then it’s only grown since then. It’s great for the whole family too. Not sure if that applies to you. Here’s my only tip. Check your invisiglass for any wear around the gobstopper toy. It tends to rub the glass in shipping. If you find any contact jjp support via website. They may send you a new piece of glass. Did for me.

#10695 2 years ago

Hey all. Having an issue where the right (factory) ramp seems to spontaneously trigger during gameplay, as if you hit the ramp, but you did not. It is hard to determine if any actions are causing it. At least once it seemed to be caused by the upper right flipper actuating. It also seems to happen generally if the ball is in the right hand area of the playfield. In inspecting the switch and opto on the ramp visually, they look ok. Haven't dived in too deep into troubleshooting, just wanted to see if anyone encountered this or has any tips. TIA.

#10697 2 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside/page/92#post-5489390
Check plugs under playfield and tighten or realign opto. My opto came loose and was doing this recently. In test mode you can verify it is aligned.

Thanks for the tip. Reseating opto cable seems to have fixed it. Cheers.

#10704 2 years ago

My internal monologue from many recent games…

Oh yeah, I’m flowing. Hitting those ramps.
Oo multiball.
Oo got 3 multiballs going. I’m kicking ass
Oh yeah, so many extra balls!
30 minute game, epic!
Drain drain drain! Shit!
And my score is… oh… 3 million.

#10709 2 years ago

Anyone recommend a good rule sheet for Wonka? Been using this one and it is helpful. But noticed a few details are outdated. I was surprised not to find more write ups while searching the webs. http://tiltforums.com/t/willy-wonka-rulesheet-early-wip/5406

Thanks
Jack

#10735 2 years ago

I posted a rule sheet here a few days ago that has a lot of good info. also you can learn a lot about these subtle rules by going into the game settings and reading all the settings and their descriptions carefully.

#10743 2 years ago
Quoted from rogerdodger:

I just played my first game, using a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones. All I can say is wow, wow, wow!
Guys, if you have the LE or CE, plug in some high quality headphones. It's a different experience!
Roger

Exactly how I’ve been playing. It’s so different not hearing the mechs of the pinball and just the audio. It lets me focus so much more in the game and be more immersed. It gives me a floating on a cloud type feeling. Has me considering putting audio jack mods on other machines. Highly recommend to try this and using noise cancelling in particular.

#10744 2 years ago
Quoted from flipperstick:

My headphone jack does not work on my CE and the volume control is wired backwards.

Did you contact jjp support? I had two quality issues and they promptly resolved them both for me.

#10753 2 years ago
Quoted from RandomRetro:

Repair tips? So I noticed a little movement on my left in-lanes center post. Took a closer look and verified it was moving and noticed a caused a little chip in the clear coat. While annoying not a terribly big deal, and I was going to put a small washer and retighten things down to make sure it doesn't get worse. But I can't unscrew it, it just spins as if the threaded rivet in the playfield is loose. Suggestions are welcome.
[quoted image]

I think that post has a nylon locking nut on the underside of the playfield. You need to raise the playfield and hold or twist that nut with a socket driver while holding or twisting the post on top at the same time. Sometimes it's enough to just hold the post with your fingers while twisting on the nut underneath, sometimes you may need to carefully grip the post with a plier or small crescent wrench (use a cloth to protect post if using pliers).

#10754 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

As for the "computer paper" modes, I believe those follow a set cycle.

That seems true. You can also cycle the qualified computer mode by hitting the stand-up target immediately to the right of the camera ramp. This is good when you are needing that Super Lock for wonkavator!

#10772 2 years ago

Super lock is qualified in a few ways. One it’s one of the computer awards. Two it’s one of the captive ball mystery awards. Three every third factory mode you start will light super lock. On this last point, every three is what the game manual indicates however my WW came with this set to four, so I changed it to three.

On your second question. If super lock is lit, that will activate the diverter so you just need to hit the gobstopper or camera ramp. However if scumdiddlyumptious collection is lit (the hat lamp by gobstopper target) the diverter won’t activate. That is really annoying when trying to score super lock. So in that case you have to wait for the hat to unlite or collect it first.

#10776 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Thank you! On the second question, what causes the diverter to drop the ball from the ramp when superlock is not lit?

Ah. It’s basically when there are any worthy shots for the upper left flipper qualified, like gum targets or something for the right loop. There’s a number of cases for that. Like say fizzy lifting drink room shot in the right loop or any other mode lit there. The yellow light by the upper left flipper will be lit when diverter is active.

#10782 2 years ago

Has anyone noticed WW chewing up pinballs comparatively faster than other games? After 100 games or so the balls are rougher than many hundreds of games in other machines. Same type of balls (standard balls from Marco or pinball life). Not really complaining Just finding this curious. I’ve changed balls about five times ina month. Here’s a pic like I said can’t be more than 100 games

A246FAEA-8CE2-44E0-8384-0465D203C90F (resized).jpegA246FAEA-8CE2-44E0-8384-0465D203C90F (resized).jpeg
#10796 2 years ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

Fact: the JJP camera adds roughly 20 pounds and 20 years. Only explanation I have for the horrible photos of some grumpy looking old man that keeps getting high scores on my machine.

The same grumpy old man is all over my machine. So weird!

#10812 2 years ago

Has anyone used this customer shooter rod from mod father? Do you like it?

https://modfatherpinball.com/collections/willy-wonka/products/wonka-everlasting-gobstopper-shooter

I think it looks more like a gobstopper than the other mod I’ve seen at many sites which is like a bunch of hexagons bunched together.

Is the JJP part used on the CE’s available anywhere? Anyone tried to get one from JJP?

Thx
Jack

#10823 2 years ago
Quoted from Vermont:

I am considering obtaining a NIB WW LE. My only experience with having my own pin is a Stern TMNT Premium. It seems there is much less interest in WW than there should be based on it being a top twenty ranked pin. I'm curious why this might be. Is it a JJP vs Stern thing? Something else?
It's a big chunk of money (they all are these days) so I'm curious to better understand the dynamics on this game before I jump in. I figure this is the right crowd to ask. (And I might be joining y'all soon!)

Here is what I think about this. First off, the theme doesn't grab a certain proportion of pinheads. It's seen as childlike or whimsical. And, well, it is, of course, compared to the more common fare of rock band pins, edgy, scary, spooky, intense themes etc. But this is exactly what I like about the theme and it makes a good contrast to my other games. I have grown to love the vibe. It's a welcoming fun kind of place I want to come back and visit. Next, I did play it a few times at a show, and it seemed okay, but it didn't really grab me right away. I bought WW mainly because my kid and wife played it on location and really liked it. So I said, "well if they are on board, this is a worthy purchase, and I get a new pin to fart around with". Now, when I started playing it myself, and got to know it better, I began to realize what a great game it is. Fun and approachable on the surface, but vastly deep. There is so much to learn on this machine, it is great for home use. It has a great balance between single ball and multi-ball modes. When you stack modes and multi-balls, it gets really exciting, but then calms down again. Some other recent pins are like all multi ball all the time and that is no fun. Overall, I can compare it most easily to Simpsons Pinball Party in terms of fun factor but also depth of gameplay. I also really love that it is a Pat Lawlor design and has a lot of his hallmarks, but it's also very unlike his 90s games with the stop-n-go and the horizontal jackpot shots and all that (not that those are bad, just that I have played those so much already). It flows great and is very modern in the game design, modes, and code. Each multiball mode is like a game in itself and each one plays very different (they're not all just hit the jackpots). The machine is high quality, the code is deep very polished. The music, sound effects, and especially use of assets from the film are all very well integrated with the gameplay and the theme. It's fun and approachable, but also can be brutal and challenging once you reach a certain knowledge of the rules and skill level, but that just keeps me coming back for more. You do hit plateaus with this game where it feels like it's hard to get a satisfying game in, but then you break through and reach new realms. In summary, WW feels right up there with the all-time-great pins to me, and I happen to own many of them! I believe you are correct in recognizing there is an under-rated factor to this pin. I contribute this to the theme as a barrier for some folks and that you have to get some play time to start uncovering the depth and greatness of it. In a few years time I think its esteem will rise as people have more of a chance to experience it.

I will add that I did have a few small quality issues. Some I took care of myself (few loose screws kind of thing). There was a couple of issues that I brought to JJP support and they resolved them both promptly by sending me new parts and which arrived in 2-3 days. I was impressed with their support and that I could get it directly from JJP and not through a distributor. I take these issues in stride because I was really taken with the overall build and design quality. It's like Bob Dylan once said, "it's more important to be great than it is to be perfect" and I will forgive these issues for a great package.

#10833 2 years ago
Quoted from AvidPinPlayer:

Question on scores. I just got my NIB WW last week. It is a beautiful pin. Trying to get a feel for the game play. What would be a decent score? I'm not asking for a "master pinhead score", but just a regular good score. Thanks

I find this a tough question to answer with WW. Raising the score is very dependent on under standing the modes and getting the right shots. You can grind out a 20 minute game and have 2 million points. Or you can get to Wonkas Office and get the right shots in a minute you can get 10 million right there. Until I learned the game well, a couple million felt good. After six weeks 10m feels like I did pretty good. 20m+ is better. Highest score is about 40m. I’ve got pure imagination on two occasions and it took several weeks of intense play for the first one.

#10846 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Yes. Seems to be the case.

11k is Msrp. Bought my WW NIB from Automated services in early January at that price. Went there to pick it up. Let me stay as long as I wanted to play all the games in the show room. Helped me load it into my van. Fine experience and easy as pie.

#10864 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Apparently my Wonka has a screw manufacturing plant under the glass. I've found a total of four screws rolling down the playfield. I found where two go (plastic camera mount) but I cannot see where the other two came from. Are there any "hot spots" where screws are known to come out? I've never had this many screws fall out after only a few hundred plays. I know eventually I'll see the holes, but I'm reluctant to play it with two screws missing.

I had some loose screws. Same deal, I didn’t know where from. It bothered me a lot so one day I just spent a long time looking all over. It helped to recognize the exact type of screw then realize what type of thing they were used for in general on the playfield. In my case They were falling out from behind the Wonkavator physical lock assembly - Four screws in the back right on top holding the solenoid that controls the lock plunger. I also had one screw fall out from under the smokestack causing the smokestack to rotate to the right.

#10869 2 years ago

Loose screws seems to be a recurring theme. Is this common with Nib games? Or is it a JJP or ww thing? Ww was my first nib so it’s an honest unloaded question.

#10878 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

Can anyone suggest a solution. My Wonka has about zero space for side blades and I need to add lights. I don't like how dark it is. Has anyone added lights to brighten the playfield that isn't pinstadiums? (I don't think pinstadiums will fit)

This may not be the solution you’re looking for but I got this floor lamp for the game room. It’s great for pins because you can adjust the color temp and brightness to add the perfect amount of light and it’s remote controlled. The lamp can also be pointed like a spot light. Didn’t by for ww specifically but as I get older just can’t see as well and it’s been good a solution for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09J1YWN8X

#10932 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Man... The outlanes are brutal in this game. If a ball hits a slingshot, you've got a 50/50 chance of getting thrown straight into an outlane.

You can adjust the posts on right and/or add a post on the left to suit you. Extra post for left should be in goodie bag.

1 week later
#10993 2 years ago
Quoted from Scottybud4:

Hey all - had my WW for 2 months now and have been having an issue with the right ramp made sensor. Using the right flipper will cause the right ramp made to enable. I’ve tried re-routing that wire and it fixes the issue for a bit, then after a few games the vibrations will cause the right ramp made to be made every time I use the right flipper. I’ve tried securing that wire under the playfield without luck. Anybody have any issues like this? If the issue is happening, you’ll collect 100+ wonka bars because of this, causing high scores.

I had this too. The solution was to reseat the connector for that opto to where it plugs in to the opto board under the playfield. There was a post somewhere earlier in this thread that shows you which cable. Or you can look it up in the manual.

#11045 2 years ago

My 12 year old is a wiz. Here’s his accomplishment from the Western MA pinball club last night.

(Yes, the inevitable has happened. He’s better than his old man).

2FAD16A8-3385-49C1-B3AF-8A0156971310 (resized).jpeg2FAD16A8-3385-49C1-B3AF-8A0156971310 (resized).jpeg
#11072 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Anybody notice the new LE’s care coming with the flippers too cradled? I’ve played a few and have had to relearn the shots from my CE. Kid multiball shot is also really tough. I don’t think they should droop like Elwin games, but would think they should align with the inlanes.

Pic? I got an le in January and can compare.

#11091 2 years ago
Quoted from wisemanbba:

Just got an LE. Can I get some thoughts on must have mods for this? Favorites? Thanks

This is a game that people seem to like to add a lot of mods all over to. I really think many over do it (to each their own though!) two that I deemed worthy were a gobstopper shooter rod from Mod Father. This particular mod looks like an actual gobstopper whereas some do not really have the right shape. The pic on the website is not great but in reality it’s good quality. https://modfatherpinball.com/products/wonka-everlasting-gobstopper-shooter

Second is flipper toppers from the mod couple. They are just a hair off from perfectly fitting the flipper but I found that aligning them at the tip end makes a good result. https://themodcouplepinball.com/products/jjp-willy-wonka-custom-grass-flipper-set

Enjoy your game!

#11093 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Its not close to the whole song. It only says "Oommpa Loompa" over and over. and its broken up due to only one syllable playing with each bumper hit.
If im not mistaken..

It’s true however as another mentioned there’s an instrumental version of the song during Oompa Loompa odyssey. Although lacking the lyrics It’s a nice high energy piece of music and compliments the mode well.

#11152 2 years ago
Quoted from ktcoady12:Hammerhead Thank you- did you put to posts on the left? Where that black rubber cap is? Thank you

Yes, that’s where you put the extra post to tone down the left drain difficulty. You can put it in the lower or upper slot. Upper slot makes for easier difficulty setting.

#11187 2 years ago

Is there a more cruel and infuriating moment in all of pinball than losing Wonka’s Office and getting berated by Gene Wilder? If so, I’d like to hear you try to name it.

#11189 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

Best integrated callout in pinball, in my opinion. Makes me simultaneously mad and smile.

It makes me remove my headphones and look away from the game. Hah. I agree it’s great. Too great.

#11195 2 years ago

Much has been discussed about the tinny stock speakers. Has anyone replaced the backbox speakers with something off the shelf and, if so, what did you buy and how was the result? I am planning to add an external sub (Polk with pinnovators connector) so I’m just thinking about the backbox ones now and if I can improve them for a reasonable cost. Thanks in advance.

1 week later
#11263 2 years ago
Quoted from Polidori:

Received our new WW LE yesterday and have a noob question about the wonkavator.
Played a friend's WW a few weeks ago and saw lots of balls going up the 'vator, but we have 40 games on ours already and have never had a ball go up the wonkavator. Tech support guy at JJP said that it's very rare to get balls up the elevator so he thinks it's normal not to have it happen very often.
I've run the device tests for the wonkavator and didn't see anything out of whack.
Is it truly rare to have balls go up the wonkavator? If not, can someone point me to the most likely reason that the balls aren't going up the wonkavator?

It is odd that guy just said it’s rare so don’t worry. It’s not rare if you know how it works and are locking balls. In a single game I put at least 2-3 balls up there and sometimes like 10. He should have told you how it’s supposed to work and how to test it as the other poster just did!

#11284 2 years ago
Quoted from doc5md:

So, today, the plunger tip on the shooter rod broke.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Is that just the rubber shooter tip? That’s a little unusual but an easy fix.

#11289 2 years ago

Curious about highest scores ever known for Wonka. I know there are scores in this thread, etc, however I’m sure some of the world-class players have gotten some out-there scores. What’s highest you’ve heard of?

#11304 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Slot protectors go open end up on Wonka, otherwise you get stuck balls.

Ah, is that it? I took mine out because 2 balls kept piling up there. I'll give it another try.

#11308 2 years ago
Quoted from Meri-cah:

First time collecting all the golden tickets and making it to pure imagination. Pretty cool. My son was more excited than anything. Good times. Put up $30million

Congrats! That’s a great pinball moment and especially shared with your son.

#11309 2 years ago

Here is a fun challenge for those who need a new goal after Pure Imagination. Complete all five kids (complete, not just qualify), start kid multiball, get the kid golden ticket. My 12 y/o pinball wiz actually did it. I’m working on it. It’s a pain because it’s easy to insta-fail if you drain during a kid mode.

#11319 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

Mine is of the newest batch, mine does not do this often

Ditto. And ditto newest batch (nov 2021)

#11327 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

So I finally signed the standard form of contract, and my Wonka LE shipped out today from the distro! (Thanks, Automated!) I’ve been circling this pin for years, and I’ve owned four other JJPs. My young son and I have been watching the 1971 movie lately and that clinched it. He doesn’t know it’s coming. I nearly missed the boat on nib, I’m guessing few remain. I’m a huge fan of Lawlor pins like DILE, and of JJP, and of the Wonka theme. Very psyched to join the club. This one should be a keeper!

Given all that, you will really love this pin!

#11347 2 years ago
Quoted from kempsuk:

So, how has the "frequent sdtm drains out of the pops" been fixed on the latest / last runs of WW?? I'm just curious... I'm buying a WW LE from a fellow pinsider here, and super excited to be getting back into the club, but curious how this has been fixed??
Thanks

I have a Nov, ‘21 build. I don’t know what, if anything, was changed on newer runs, but the infamous sdtm from pops is not a problem. When the ball comes around the orbit, it glances the rubber (circled in pic - you can even see the black dust where it hits) and that throws it into the pops and it bounces around randomly and falls out.

E0446157-F348-45AF-865D-BD90EE9EE38E (resized).jpegE0446157-F348-45AF-865D-BD90EE9EE38E (resized).jpeg
#11352 2 years ago
Quoted from kempsuk:

Interesting... how about the back feet/legs. What level are you all raising them to??

Playfield angle is about 6.5 degrees and level side to side.

#11375 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

How they could take it to the wrong home, and leave it with a person is puzzling.

A classic case of ass-clownism.

#11392 1 year ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

Loving this game! We have spent all of our free time playing since it arrived.
Some quick anecdotes on NIB experience this week... lots of good (mostly important stuff)... some not (mostly details). Interested in thoughts/advice on some of them:
1. Game was packaged quite well. Game functioned almost 100% upon power on. Stiff foam between the pallet/cabinet and playfield/cabinet were nice touches. Only packaging issue was the Gobstopper. The Blue nub of the Gobstopper rubbed against the glass during transport and made a bare spot with no paint on the tip and the glass was smudged with paint. Glass cleaned up fine. Gobstopper blemish is small, so I'm unsure if it's worth the hassle to replace.
2. Sound quality out of the box was BAD... thought it was the digital audio tracks, but sounded pretty OK with headphones... Some troubleshooting connector disconnecting/swapping seems to point to a super obnoxious right side tweeter... Still overall disappointed in the audio track quality/mixing/fidelity, although the tracks themselves and the variety of music are great. I just expected the quality to be MUCH "richer" sounding after owning WOZ and Hobbit and recently playing a lot of Dialed In! I probably should have prepared myself since this one's not a Chris Granner or David Thiel package. PinWoofer?
3. Sling posts came with tasteful black washers for playfield protection.
4. Plastic Oompa Loompa already broke off the camera.
5. The lockdown bar powdercoat color came out a few shades lighter than the armor and it's quite noticeable. Looks like too thin of a coat or something.
6. One of the cabinet decals had a small puncture/wrinkle seemingly unrelated to packaging/transport - another one of those things not worth the hassle to correct
7. The Augustus spinner bracket was bent too far down and the ball was running into it. Bending it back up into position caused the spinner-to-microswitch alignment to get tighter and the microswitch stopped registering properly on each spin (only registers on slower spins). Not sure what to do with this one. Gotta take off the whole ramp to get to this spinner/switch assembly. It "works" kinda, but doesn't give you the full satisfaction it should for a perfect rip. I wish there was an optical switch solution.
8. Shots through the Augustus spinner feel clunky. Sometimes it rejects. Sometimes it clunks into the saucer. Sometimes it clunks back through the TV lane, and rarely it rolls cleanly over to the Wonkavator. I feel like maybe the lane guide that ends just above the right upper flipper might be the culprit, but that's another thing that's hard to get to and manhandle.
9. Noticing some flipper fade; more affected timing of shots than make-ability, but still will probably grab some fans once PinMonk finishes his bracket design for JJPs.
10. I mentioned in a previous post the Gobstopper mech failed due to loose set screws, but that was easily remedied (thanks again Derek).
11. We were a bit disappointed in how "sloppy" some of the exposed/unhidden wiring and ball trap prevention plastics look. Also, exposed microswitches, roll under switch brackets and such don't help the overall aesthetic. It could have used a few months of tinkering to get to a WOZ/Hobbit/DI level of polish. There are also ramps with rows of unused mounting holes and such that look like prototypes vs final parts.
12. Wow that light show is great.
13. Screen is OK but blacks/saturation not as good as Hobbit to my eye.
14. Damn it's fun to shoot. (BTW - I only had the ball return through the pops SDTM once that I recall in well over 100 games)
15. Setup for wifi connect, beta opt-in, and over the air software update was quick and easy since I knew how to do it from other JJP games.
16. Scorbit is flaky and frustrating, but I still can't stop using it to track scores and achievements. App crashes, app freezes, app won't find the machine, machine won't connect for a long time after power on (but sometimes connects instantly). I also wish JJP/Scorbit would improve the creativity around their achievements. "Do the thing" x1 x10 x100 x1000 is PRETTY lazy implementation of achievements (although I gotta commend them - some of the names are VERY clever). Some achievements should definitely be that, but achievements related to doing a combination of things within a single game (or a single ball) or for MISSING shots or whatever(!) would add a lot more variety and fun (see Xbox Live, PS Network). It's still nearly impossible to find a list of Scorbit achievements to go for because it's so buried in their app. Stern has blown by them in user experience, unfortunately, but Scorbit's no-extra-hardware approach is superior, so I hope they close the gap soon!

Regarding the blemish on your invisiglass, report that to JJP directly via their website. I did this and they sent me new glass within a week and it was painless. They just asked for a picture and then shipped the new glass.

I would also ask for a new lockdown bar. It should match the other powder coated pieces.

#11407 1 year ago
Quoted from Enron64:

Could someone please explain how to get wonka vat or multiball?

To get to Wonkavator MB, you need to light super lock three times and make the super lock shot three times. It’s the shot from the upper left flipper into the right loop. Needs to be a clean shot to go all the way around the back of the orbit. There are different ways to light super lock - by completing 4 factory modes, it’s a random computer award, it’s a captive ball mystery award. And maybe one other way I am forgetting at the moment. Check the flow chart in the manual. Good luck!

#11409 1 year ago
Quoted from Enron64:

Thank you! I was able to get it. Very cool multiball! Checked out the flow chart and man these rules are deep. I own AIQ and this game makes its rules look like child’s play.

Know what you mean. I love that Wonka’s multiball modes (once started) are really unique and varied. It’s not all “hit the jackpots”. They have really interesting progressions and each is different. Enjoying learning the game, it’s a great trip.

1 week later
#11453 1 year ago
Quoted from rob3:

I’d have to see it to believe it. If true that’s incredible.

He just did it again. Here’s a couple pics

1BE0DA94-B1A5-4062-8487-0811DC40377B (resized).jpeg1BE0DA94-B1A5-4062-8487-0811DC40377B (resized).jpegA20E42D8-794F-45E2-A70F-0C3163B266F3 (resized).jpegA20E42D8-794F-45E2-A70F-0C3163B266F3 (resized).jpeg
#11477 1 year ago

Any strategies for getting great scores, say 70 mil+? I am getting through modes great and often getting pure imagination and beyond but just plateauing points wise around 30-50 mil. Meanwhile my 12 year old holds the grand champ at 76 mil and I really need to beat him. Just seems like I play and grind for a very long time and score just creeps along.

I have never *beat* PI and I believe that holds a lot of Points based on watching aforementioned 12 yo do it.

So yeah, looking for advanced strategies like set ups of particular modes and multipliers or stacks of modes etc. thanks in advance.

#11491 1 year ago

Who all has found the secret super skill shot? Not sure how much it is common knowledge. It’s a four-shot combo that begins with hitting the camera ramp after the plunge (and after holding left flipper to indicate you want to try for super skill shot). I can give the remaining spoiler if anyone wants.

#11496 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

More like, who can complete it. Its not secret, it shows on the mini screen when a flipper is held.

It shows the super skill shot, but not the secret super skill shot, which is a 4 shot combo skill shot, as opposed to 2.

#11525 1 year ago

Adjusting posts however you want them is all good. Make it play how you like! I don't think anyone considers it cheating. I also added the left outlane post in the same position you did because the left lane was a drain monster and was no fun for me and also my family (wife and 12 y.o.), so the game is more fun for everyone now. Even with the post, the left drain is still pretty hungry. Enjoy your game.

2 weeks later
#11558 1 year ago
Quoted from flipperstick:

What happens again when Wonka’s hat is flashing in front of The Most Secret Machine?

It’s to collect scrumdiddlyumptious. Every time you hit a successive shot, (forget if it’s any shot or just ramps), you spell a part of the word (seen on the screen). Then you hit the gobstopper to collect on your combo. If a few seconds go by and you have not either hit another shot or the gobstopper the hat stops flashing.

This can be an annoying obstacle when you need a shot from the upper left flipper because if the hat is lit, the diverter on the gob ramp will not activate and ball is always returned to lower left flipper. A lot of times I cradle the ball till the dang hat shuts off so I can then go for my shot (usually when trying to get a super lock).

#11561 1 year ago
Quoted from Gavino:

After completing all captive ball modes it seemed to light an empty mode in that panel. Anyone else seen this?
Shooting it didn't start any mode it just stayed that way until I hit the captive ball again.
[quoted image]

I’ve seen it, too. I think it’s a bug.

#11569 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I have 2 questions on game play.
Is their any significance in the type of candy in the candy jar?
How is the quickest way to light super lock? Missed my vator ticket and was so pissed!!!! One shot away from pure imagination!!!

Early in the game the easiest way to light super lock is starting factory modes. Every 4 lights a super lock. You can get three modes qualified at once and get one saucer shot to collect three at a time. Later in the game it is more difficult to qualify factory modes so I just keep collecting computer awards until it comes up as a random computer award. Keep hitting the saucer to cycle to a new computer award and while you are doing that you can also try to hit the green target to the immediate right of the camera ramp which also cycles a new computer award. It can also come up as a captive ball mystery award. You can also just start other multi balls and while all the balls are flying around you make make progress toward a super lock in all of the above ways.

#11572 1 year ago
Quoted from JvdS:

Hi All,
I have bought a Wonka. Plays well but the speech sound I can not hear (way in the back I hear talking...). Music and sound effect are good and loud, speech is really soft....
What adjustments do I need to make to be able to hear/understand speech? Or can there be something else?

Check audio settings for volume controls. I think there may be a separate setting for voice volume.

#11584 1 year ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

I’m revisiting the possibility of getting a Wonka. My main hesitation is the music. Does it get to you hearing that theme song over and over or is it ok? Can it be changed? I sold Munsters because of this…

I like the music and the integration with gameplay is top notch. The main theme does get stuck in my head sometimes. I believe there is a music volume control and you could always turn it down while leaving other sounds.

#11590 1 year ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Two points:
1) Is anyone else color blind and having a hard time identifying shots, especially during features? I'm red/green color blind, and if I'm not looking at the screens I have near zero chance of completing anything intentionally. In fact, today was the first day I got the Wonkavator Golden Ticket. And that was after 800 games!
2) (Tiny spoiler: I'm about to share how I felt about Pure Imagination and how long I played it for! But no other details) I got to Pure Imagination today for the first time and destroyed my high score. I have to say, I was a little disappointed. Maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe I couldn't pay attention to what was happening because I was so jacked up on the Wonkadrenaline but it ended waaaay too quickly. For a thirty minute game (my longest by far) it was over in maybe 60-90 seconds? Either way, now I have to go back and re-achieve it and try to pay more attention...and last longer!

(Spoiler warning)

I love the game but agree PI is a bit underwhelming. It’s like the most conventional style multiball in the game compared to the other MB modes. Although, now that it’s more frequent I get there, it is keeping me engaged trying to *beat* the mode, which I have not done yet. My 12 year old pinball wiz has beaten it a couple of times and he says it can give you about 30 million points, though it is pretty hard and my son says it took about 20 PIs.

#11627 1 year ago
Quoted from phill2cb:

When I play Fizzy Lifting Drink Room, the first level is left ramp and 2nd level says spinner/jets but whenever I hit the spinner and jets, it seems to register but never changes from that same shot. Is it supposed to switch to a different shot for levels 3 through 5? Or are all those levels also spinner/jets?
If I hit that shot 4 times, it seems like its completing Charlie, just seems odd to have all 4 levels as the same shot.

After you start the mode and it tells you to hit the spinner/jets, you just need to keep hitting the spinner and jets and eventually it’ll start a hurry up to shoot the gobstopper target. Upon hitting it, the mode ends and Charlie is completed. I find that this is one of the harder modes because of the sheer amount of times you need to hit the spinner/jets. Lubing the spinner makes it a lot easier

#11629 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Silicon? Oil? what is the best long term lube?
Thanks

Use super lube. Just one drop on each side. Put a cloth underneath to catch any accidentally drips.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-51010-Oil/dp/B000BXOGHY/ref=asc_df_B000BXOGHY/

#11661 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

Thanks for all the responses, will experiment a bit! Is a low whine noise when flippers held not necessarily a problem sign? I can't recall observing that on any others, but I've been in this hobby less than a year and haven't really tested that specifically.
In general, is there a good reference (thread, or site) for "when to replace flippers"?

Don’t know the exact sound you’re getting but it’s common for flippers to make a little hum when held.

There are good guides for rebuilding flipper (just google that). Although if this is a home use Wonka you won’t have to replace the flipper or rebuild them for years, if ever. Just change the rubber when it gets worn, and check on the mechanisms under the PF every once in a while and make sure everything is sound, intact, the end of stroke switches are adjusted well. After a few years you may think about changing the coil stops. I think there is a good video on JJPs website about flipper maintenance.

#11681 1 year ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

I'd love to add a Gobstopper shooter rod and have read through numerous comments about the various options - including some who've had issues with different models.
What's the Cliffs Notes version on which one I should buy?[quoted image]

I prefer this from modfather. To me it looks most like the gobstopper from the movie.

https://modfatherpinball.com/products/wonka-everlasting-gobstopper-shooter

#11709 1 year ago
Quoted from adol75:

I still haven't managed to do the super lock shot, I aim for the spinner but the ball always bumps against the rail, is it notoriously difficult or am I terrible at it ?

You need to get a clean shot and to the right spot but it should not be terribly difficult. If the spinner is bent a little wrong it can make the shot a lot more difficult

#11743 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I don't think I have completed Ompa Lumpa oddesy yet. You just have to hit every shot that is lit green correct? Then what happens?

If you hit every green shot, then there are several roving red/white shots and if you hit any you get a super jackpot. Then the mode starts over.

1 week later
#11852 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Is there a consensus on the best way to improve the sound on Wonka? The stock speakers sound pretty bad, especially the movie quotes. Pinwoofer? Flipper Fidelity?
Which is best for bass and clarity? I’m especially hoping to make the Wonka callouts much easier to hear.
Thanks!

External sub helped a bit but those backbox speakers are still tinny as hell. It’s still missing mids. Noise cancelling headphones in the headphone Jack sounds wonderful though.

#11951 1 year ago

At Target yesterday on a whim bought a Wonka board game. It turned out to be a fun game. The art style and many assets are same as the pinball. It has some interesting parts that could be used as mods or decorations for those that like that kind of thing. Namely Wonka Bar wrappers, chocolate bars, and 5 smallish but nice looking Golden Tickets. It was $20 and the parts are surprisingly good quality for that price.

07B3E329-35CE-4CF5-BD20-A7EF7AF4A6EA (resized).jpeg07B3E329-35CE-4CF5-BD20-A7EF7AF4A6EA (resized).jpeg74B04517-3C67-4D13-8D13-6D67360517F5 (resized).jpeg74B04517-3C67-4D13-8D13-6D67360517F5 (resized).jpegDFDCB99F-BAA6-429A-AF6C-27685FC29D90 (resized).jpegDFDCB99F-BAA6-429A-AF6C-27685FC29D90 (resized).jpegF348DF2E-FA22-4553-A960-AE9F4E494DE0 (resized).jpegF348DF2E-FA22-4553-A960-AE9F4E494DE0 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#11983 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Seriously, buy the pinwoofer kit. I got the DIY kit. It is amazing the amount of mid and low tones that were missing prior. And I am at the point where I do not even think I need an external sub. I dont have one currently hooked up.

I love Wonka but am really curious how jjp messed up the sound so bad. I’ve read in the diy sound thread supposedly the jjp speakers are high quality. So is it the eq?? My 30 year old pins sound better.

#11990 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Well, I did do the tweeter replacement and thats night and day as well.
But as you mentioned, the sound is bad. They must have used poor audio clips from the movie somehow. Even with the upgrade, there are still callouts that dont sound as good as others. Just very thin...
Having said that and as I said before, the pinwoofer upgrade was well worth it.

Upon more reflection, I feel it must have a lot to do with the speakers, because when I plug in good quality noise cancelling headphones into the jack, it sounds fantastic. Everything is clear, and great balance of highs, mids, and lows. Although, maybe the headphone jack line has a different EQ? Either way, headphones sounds wonderful.

#11991 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Yeah I’ve played a buddies GNR. Wanted to like it but not very interesting even though it looks cool. Def adding a wonka soon!

I've played GNR something like 20 times now. Every time my experience is the same: multi balls start flying out of nowhere and go on for 10 or 15 minutes. I get so tired of multi balls I just wish it would stop. Then I walk away not knowing WTF happened, why, or how I did. It just seems a muddled mess. No disrespect to fans of the game, but that's just how it's been for me. I could see how non pinheads might find that exciting, I suppose. I'm a big fan of the band and really wanted to like it.

#12036 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I just played Wonka’s office for the first time (no idea how I got it) but what a fun mode and awesome lighting during it! Completed it too for 4.4 million and doubled my GC score because of it.

It’s a really unique mode! I love the gambling aspect (cash in or go for more) but it is so painful if you lose - and one if the best/most infuriating call outs in all of pinball. Just wait and you will see. You qualify the mode after getting Golden tickets (after 2nd or 3rd) and start it at the tv shot. Enjoy your game.

#12052 1 year ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Are last run NIB Wonka LEs still available at any distributors?

Automated Services in CT has one or two.

1 week later
#12073 1 year ago

I had same on another machine. I couldn’t solve it via LTGs suggestion. I put a small piece of bear seal foam (sticky one side, foam the other) on the underside of the pf where the elbow of the auto plunger arm makes contact with the underside of the pf. It prevented the auto plunger from tilting all the way forward by a few mm which helped it clear the plunger tip. Silly problem that shouldn’t be a problem!

Quoted from ray3127:

Hey Wonka club, new member here. Can't believe I waited this long to consider (and ultimately buy) this incredible game. Looking forward to posting some pics of my machine when it's all spiffed up and dialed in, but for now I'm running into a problem.
My plunger is physically hitting the auto-plunge mechanism when I the plunge. The machine doesn't fire the auto-plunger, but it moves forward and interferes physically. The plunger and auto-plunge strike the ball around the same time, so there's no control whatsoever.
I attached a few photos below. The plunger spring is catching the rear/top of the auto-plunge mechanism, circled in red in one photo. Any suggestions?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

06A892DC-CBEA-4101-B227-75621DC794C3 (resized).jpeg06A892DC-CBEA-4101-B227-75621DC794C3 (resized).jpeg

#12079 1 year ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Yup! Probably the coolest mini wizard mode that Wonka has to offer…IMHO
[quoted image]

I have also found that Most Secret Machine is one of the most points-earning modes in the whole game, but you have to get many jackpots, after 10+ jackpots each one is worth over a million and it keeps going up. At the start of the mode, i tend to focus on catching one ball on the left flipper and getting it into the Gob and just let others drain. Getting them off the PF actually makes it easier to get some of those early Jackpots. If you can get through the phases where the Gob hole is spinning, it actually stops again, and by then each jackpot is worth a ton, so that's the real glory hole of points right there.

#12080 1 year ago

duplicate, delete please

#12089 1 year ago
Quoted from ray3127:

My Wonkavator isn't releasing balls between games. i.e. I lock 1 or 2 balls but not 3 in a game, when I start a new game the balls stay up there. And it gives me credit for whatever is up there already. So if I had 1 there, I only need to lock 2 more for the multiball.
When I power cycle the machine, it releases the locked balls.
Dec. 2021 build running latest code, just got the game a week ago. Any thoughts?

That’s the normal default behavior. I think there may be an option in gameplay settings to change it.

#12114 1 year ago
Quoted from ngg:

I’m having an issue with the ball lock mechanism in the Wonkavator. Once multi all starts the balls stay stuck behind the lock which does not seem to retract properly. Once the game goes into ball search mode, it will then retract and release the balls.
Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Look behind the Wonkavator assembly and check that the solenoid that releases the ball is secured well. Often those screws are loose causing problems.

#12130 1 year ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

New recruit to Wonka here (and JJP);other than doing backflips over how good this thing plays, the sound seems to be devoid of decent midrange.
Is there an eq or balance setting in the menu that I can’t seem to find? Or anyone replace their mids with something slightly more sensitive?

I love Wonka but yea the sound is bad, like a 1928 Victrola. No eq setting unfortunately. I added a sub and it helped a bit. Noise cancelling headphones in the Jack sounds great.

#12198 1 year ago
Quoted from phill2cb:

Does anyone know what the four rectangle lights leading up to the camera ramp signify? I’ve seen it do different light combos like 1 red and the other 3 off, 1 red 2 off and then 1 green, etc. No idea what it means though.

They show how many Wonka bars you’ll get if you hit the ramp. If three are pulsing red, you’ll get three Wonka bars, and so on. If they are any other color, it’s because there is a mode shot or jackpot at the camera ramp.

3 weeks later
#12296 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Seems so odd. I was on vacation for 3 weeks and first day back playing set the GC at my dads on MB, got to try and rule the universe but didn’t get the 5 billion and tgen on Wonka tonight this?
Do you ever have a monster game after some time off?[quoted image]

This is a real thing. Taking time off (but not too much) can help in many endeavors. I’ve seen this in music and other things. Congrats on the score.

#12342 1 year ago
Quoted from adol75:

I finally decided to figure why there are some holes between the left outlane and the inlane, I also took an eye in the goodies back and saw the post that can go there.
I do find the left outlane to be a drain monster, so I'm thinking about putting a post there, although it's not that bad, or not as bad as it was on WOZ typically.
Wondering what your setting is for this post, and while I'm at it, what your settings are for the ones on the right outlane, the two double rubber posts that can slide down.
Thanks

Left bottom hole. Right lowest position.

#12344 1 year ago
Quoted from mostater:

I am having an issue with Wonkavator where super lock is lit, the ball diverts appropriately, gets kicked up to the Wonkavator but then is immediately released.
The ball typically is diverted to the upper left flipper most of the time right after release, thankfully, and I can make the shot again. But it can take a few tries before the ball will eventually lock. This doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes it does lock on the first attempt. And it occurs regardless if it is ball lock 1, 2, or 3. Any thoughts on what is going on or what to check?

Check the solenoid that controls the white plastic plunger which holds/releases the balls, and check that the four screws securing the coil,s bracket are in place and tight.

#12346 1 year ago
Quoted from ray3127:

Installed Cliffy's on inlanes, and I'm having trouble with ball hangups on the left side. The ball is resting on the notch near the top of the Cliffy, and is not getting caught up by the rubber/posts. I have them pushed/pressed down as far as I can, but apparently the ridge created by the Cliffy is too much. Right side has been fine so far.
I'd like to keep the Cliffy's in place, but the game is not playable like this.
There's mylar protecting these areas already, too. Any suggestions?
[quoted image]

I also had issues with the same protector on left side. But my issue was two balls getting stuck, stacked on top of each other, when exiting the wire form return. I tried raising the return with washers and other things. I finally gave up and decided to live dangerously with no cliffy on the left.

#12361 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinman2005:

Is there a good site for playfield replacement parts?

What parts? Marco Specialties or Pinball Life for general parts. Maybe some place else for a specific part or special balls or rubber.

#12387 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinman2005:

Has anyone gone down the path of replacing the LCD with something higher resolution?

Is not all the source material at 1080p?

#12401 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

well I applied that lube to the upper right spinner and it still gets hung up not in correct position. Im guessing I need to bend the wire to encourage it to stay down in the proper position after spinning

Is the right side of the spinner wire getting hung up on the nearby plastic? Was a problem on mine. I forced the plastic lower by wedging a piece of rubber between the bottom of the factory ramp and the plastic to clear up the hang up. Also may have bent the spinner assembly away from the plastic a little bit. Have to be careful with that though so you don’t ruin the loop shot.

1 week later
#12429 1 year ago
Quoted from mostater:

I was working towards the kid golden ticket. I had 6 out of the 7 jackpots collected and only needed to get the super jackpot. That's just the kid shot, right? I got another kid multiball going (just 1 kid, Charlie) and during that multiball, I hit that kid shot. I was expecting that to be it and I that I would be awarded that golden ticket, but it did not. Is there more that I needed to do, like hit the captive ball afterwards or something like that? Or is the super jackpot more than just a single kid shot?

For the golden ticket you need to get at least one regular jackpot from each kid, the super jackpot, and the double kid jackpot. You can do it across different multiball instances. You can see your progress by holding left flipper then cycling to the golden ticket status screen.

2 weeks later
#12500 1 year ago
Quoted from ray3127:

This was a fun one. Left flipper up the Gobstopper Ramp, whipped around and went airborne, catching right here. Tell me again about those weak JJP flippers?!
[quoted image]

I never understood that critique. I have several classic Bally/Williams in the same room. Honestly can’t tell
any difference in the flippers with Wonka. Sure, I bumped up the power a bit. Can’t speak for other JJP’s.

1 week later
#12537 1 year ago
Quoted from Good-Times:Is it possible some ambient noise attenuated the flipper noise on location with TS4? I can't imagine anything significant changing internally...

Acoustics of the room you are in can make a difference as well.

2 weeks later
#12550 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinman2005:

Has anyone had issues where the balls get stuck coming out of the Wonkavator lock at the top of the machine? Seems to be happening quite a bit when it releases them for multi ball.

Also check the screws holding the coil that controls the ball release to the back of the Wonkavator assembly. They’re often loose and could cause something like that.

3 weeks later
#12609 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

You only get it if it's unlit? That doesn't seem right.

Yeah I think that is correct. About the factory inlane switch, if I remember correctly, it briefly lights the factory stand up target (to right of factory ramp) and if you hit the target while lit it qualifies a factory mode instantly without having to spell out Wonka. It’s like a short cut to do it.

#12641 1 year ago
Quoted from coz6:

I installed the update and they added a visual EQ - looking for that person to post use these it really makes the game pop and now the Pinwoofer kit is not as critical...

Oh, thank god. I suspected the poor sound had a lot to do with eq settings since it had been said JjP actually uses decent speakers. Is this update live or in beta/limited release?

4 weeks later
#12735 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:Made the decision to get a Wonka as soon as I find one local. I have heard nightmares of JJP customer service. If I get one Im hoping that between Pinside and other friends that would be enough to be the game working if needed? Anyone have a positive experience with JJP on a Wonka issue. This game has a lot going on so I am sure there will be something that will need fixonf down the road

I had two issues with Wonka. Blemished invisiglass. A broken plastic. Both times JJP support mailed new part within 2 days. Including the whole new piece of expensive glass. This was under warranty so no charge. If you buy a used machine though I am not sure you’re eligible for warranty support.

1 week later
#12775 1 year ago
Quoted from Animal:

Is there a quick fix to turning on the main screen in the backbox? I came downstairs to my pins last night to turn the machines off and the main screen was off, but the mini screen was on. I booted down and then up again, but it still didnt power on. Is this a known issue, hopefully with a quick fix?

First thing I would check is all the wires leading to and from the screen, unplug them and plug them back (on both ends wherever they connect to).

#12779 1 year ago
Quoted from Animal:

Thanks, I just completed that. Everything looked in place, but there was one connection disconnected, but I think it has always been disconnected. Pls see pic (1st pic) in backbox. Can someone please confirm if their 4 pin connector (actually only 2 pins) is connected or lose like mine?
The second pic is of the small screen with simple trouble shooting steps. I attached an hdmi from a laptop to the main screen and booted up the pinball machine and the screen did not respond.
Has anyone had an issue with a Wonka or a JJP screen? Was it the power supply? ...or did the screen die?
[quoted image][quoted image]

I would try to narrow it down to a power issue vs hdmi issue. Does it seem like the screen is getting power at all? Can you use a multimeter on the power connector? If it’s not getting power it could be something in the screen (hard to fix), the power cable itself, or something on the board. Try to see where power stops.

By any chance did you buy NIb? I would contact jjp support if so.

4 weeks later
#12809 1 year ago
Quoted from PinDeadHead:

I joined the club yesterday. This pin is awesome!
Question: How exactly do you qualify the four orange factory tours at the captive ball and how does this differ from gathering the mystery award at captive ball by gathering candy canes at ramps and inlanes?
Do you gather candy canes to light “?” Then hit captive ball to toggle between awards and orange factory modes? After qualifying, I understand you need to start factory modes at the computer scoop. Thank you.
[quoted image]

Factory tour modes aren’t qualified at the captive ball and they are blue, not orange. It’s the right ramp (factory ramp) and the factory stand up target near the right ramp. Hitting the ramp some number of times will qualify a mode and that number of times increases for each subsequent mode (I think). Wonka smokestack will lite letters showing progress. Hitting the factory stand up target,however, will qualify a mode in one hit. So it’s a faster way to qualify factory modes.

Check this http://tiltforums.com/t/wonka-rulesheet/5406#heading--tour

3 weeks later
#12833 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

With all the new games coming out this month how does this group feel about whether Wonka stacks up to them?
I feel it holds it’s own quite well but I have seen a couple come up for sale in my market so I’m curious

I think Wonka is an all-time classic and will take its place even more so as time goes on.

#12844 1 year ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Have one multiball ready to go (say, Gobstopper Multiball), and then start another (say, Kid Multiball). Then stack them. On Wonka it's super easy, and you'll end the multi-multiball session with possibly lots of points. And adrenaline. I LOVE keeping a multiball going for as long as I can, and nothing feels as going doing this as Wonka does.

Yes, and the scoring multipliers you can collect at the tv are important. Like 4x is quadruple ALL scoring. If you can get that going with some stacked multiballs. It’s not easy to coordinate. You need to think carefully about your shots. If you play enough eventually you’ll get moments like that organically.

1 week later
#12853 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

So, did not realize Mylar was already installed by JJP around the switch below the ball ramp guide.
Do you all think the switch protector is still needed here? If so, do I remove the Mylar before installing or put right on top?
[quoted image]

Don’t remove the Mylar. I use switch protectors when balls drop directly on the switch - eventually there will be damage. I am anal though, In home use it’s arguable. On Wonka I’ve had issues with the switch protector causing ball jams when exiting the wire form, but mostly on the left side. If that happens you can try raising the wire form slightly with a washer or two.

1 week later
#12883 1 year ago
Quoted from phill2cb:

The scenario has made me look for claw machines for sale which I know would get the kids away from the $10k+ machines

Well, this won’t help for Wonka, but Godzilla has a nice feature where if you press left flipper+start for 3 seconds it ends the current game instantly. I believe it only works when game is on free play.

#12885 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Id love to find a way to exit games quickly as well. My kids do the same, always leaving mid game and music just playing.
Someone mentioned there is a way to exit the game via coin door?

I think they mean entering the service menu then exiting.

#12891 1 year ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I can't believe this whole time I never noticed the shot under the upper right flipper. Three successful attempts starts the "I've Got A Golden Ticket" feature. Seriously, this isn't documented -anywhere-?

Confused: there’s only the gum targets under that flipper. Please elaborate?

#12894 1 year ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I can't believe this whole time I never noticed the shot under the upper right flipper. Three successful attempts starts the "I've Got A Golden Ticket" feature. Seriously, this isn't documented -anywhere-?

Ok, wait. You got me.

#12899 1 year ago
Quoted from robx46:

Thinking about getting one of these but I just a couple questions. What I haven't liked about the couple JJP I"ve played recently is the long ball times & too much multiball (GnR). Is this game similar to where I have to take a day off of work to play a few games?

For me Wonka games can be fairly long. Not as long as Godzilla, but longer than 90s classics. It’s fairly deep. Games can be 10 min up to 30 or 45 in extreme cases. As for the multiballs: it’s nothing like GnR. Multiballs are earned. And multiballs and modes can stack up nicely until it feels like all hell is breaking loose. But it’s always clear in your mind what’s going on and why. It reminds me of TSPP in that way. Fantastic game.

#12902 1 year ago
Quoted from robx46:

Is le wonka worth it over a dialed in le that might cost 3k less?

Gee, you may be the only one that can answer that. Have you played both? Dialed In is a great game too. For me, I have an aversion to the theme, so it’s Wonka all the way. But this is a very personal take.

1 week later
#12935 1 year ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Personally, I would make the golden ticket requirement for Wonkavator multiball 1 super jackpot instead of 2. I can't tell you how many times I've been at four golden tickets and go into Wonkavator multiball and don't collect that second super jackpot. Then re-qualifying the mode is a huge pain in the butt and just not fun.

Try focusing on getting Wonkavator ticket first. You may get gum ball and factory on the way. But if you can start making progress on Wonkavator early in the game your chances will go up. You can do it over several multiballs if you just make progress each one. If you light the Gobstopper in one mb, it will still be lit the next time for example. And yeah it does get harder to start the mb each time so if you haven’t done it in 3 or 4 of them, it gets very difficult.

PS - study all the ways to light super lock (there’s several) and focus on those to get those Wonkavator mbs started. When it gets harder to start (factory modes have dried up) you can focus on getting super locks from the computer award. Every time you collect computer award, or hit the green target to the right of the camera ramp, a new computer award is cycled in. Focus on those two shots, keep cycling computer awards, and super locks will come along soon enough.

1 week later
#12941 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Hey guys - my shooter rod is now rubbing against the box thing above it and causing the power of the plunge to really take a dive. The c ring that holds the flipper spring in place is what is rubbing against it. Has anyone seen this and if so how did you resolve? Right now if I manually rotate the shooter rod so the bottom of that c ring is flat and therefore not touching the box thing above it, the plunge works but that’s not a great solution! I checked the mech itself looks good…..
Pic attached below - you can see where the friction occurs….
[quoted image]

I put a small piece of adhesive felt under the playfield where that auto shooter metal piece contacts the bottom of the playfield. This causes it to hinge/tilt forward a tad while at rest which was enough to provide clearance for the e clip.

1 month later
#13081 10 months ago
Quoted from waveform:

If you run the beta code, there is an equalizer feature in recent versions that can help some with the stock speakers, but there are no settings for adjusting relative volume of backbox/cabinet speakers without modding the machine.
As others have mentioned, I also ended up putting a PinWoofer system in mine, which does give some more physical control (separate backbox/cabinet cutoff frequencies and volume levels).
Still, the mixing of audio in Wonka seems to be its weakest point. Even with the better speakers and amp from PinWoofer plus lots of measurement and tweaking of the in-game and PinWoofer settings, I can't get things as good as I'd like. There's just too much inconsistency in dynamics and frequency response of sound effects, music, callouts, etc, and there is a hardcoded dynamic volume adjustment that will cutout music and other channels unnaturally even if you turn down sound effects or other channels that the dynamic volume seems tuned to accent. (It sounds like an attempt at a side chain compressor for those familiar with audio recording/mixing, except it is listening to the pre-fader level of the fx and callout channels rather than their post-fader levels).
Would love the ability to remaster the audio for the game.

Wonder when they will release the beta code? I have no time in life to fart around with someone's beta.

1 week later
#13142 10 months ago
Quoted from mjmpin:

The setting per manual:
Stored Locks: Specify whether to keep stored locks between games or not.
Yes: Store Locks
No: Do not store locks
So this is the setting, correct ? the issue is my setting is no, but the game IS storing locks between games ?? And this setting is greyed out, cannot be changed, on the screen greyed out says "Disabled". so wha the heck?
Also, when I look in teh install presets menu, it shows this setting as: current = No
thanks all!

Mine is behaving the same with one exception. When game is turned off then on, it clears the locked balls.

And I’m puzzled because I used to be able to alter the setting to yes or no. I haven’t installed the beta code. I think there was a small update when scorbit was removed, and that’s the only thing I know of that was changed since I was able to change the setting.

#13150 9 months ago
Quoted from mjmpin:

I confirmed that mine is the same, it does drain the balls if you power off, when you turn it on, so that's good - I was incorrect before
so is your setting also greyed out now? and is it set to yes or no
mine is no, which means its should not be carrying over game to game, default is yes
so good news nothing wrong with machine ,but is this a code glitch. Im running v2.03
a bit odd

Yes, also grayed out and set to no, and it is holding locks. Exactly like yours. And, again, a puzzle because I know it used to not be gray and I could switch it to yes or no. No idea what is going on.

2 months later
#13269 7 months ago
Quoted from Viravax:huh odd indeed. Not a huge fan of them staying in after a game ends, but if it's intended I'll just get used to it haha

What’s strange is that I used to be able to change the stored locks setting, but it’s also disabled for me now. I don’t remember if it was a software update or what, but something changed along the way.

1 month later
#13300 6 months ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Anyone have a Spinner like this? I traded my HUO hobbit for this HUO last year. The spinner had a piece of metal on it. I thought maybe it was to protect the spinner or make it faster, but it actually slows it down. Well it came apart last weekend and appears to be glued on. I need to get a replacement somewhere.[quoted image][quoted image]

That’s not normal. I would guess someone was trying to fix some issue with the spinner and did it that way rather than address the root cause. I think the game comes with spare decals, do you have them? If so you should be able to find a general spinner part to go with them.

#13302 6 months ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I just need to replace the metal part, not the whole assembly, Correct?

Yes, should be the case.

#13334 6 months ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Please recommend a commonly sold glass cleaner that is safe for non-reflective playfield glass. Is Stoner’s Invisible Glass safe? Perhaps safe formulations have no ammonia.
Thanks!

Sparkle as well

1 month later
#13503 5 months ago
Quoted from phill2cb:

Manual says “Scrumdidilyumptious” (page c-83). I think it’s to cash in on how many letters you’ve spelled with combo shots.

That’s right. Also, if the hat is lit, the ball won’t be stopped coming off the main ramp to set up the upper left
Flipper shot. Can be annoying when you need that shot.

1 month later
#13571 3 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Intentional feature which can be disabled. It's a bit rude to assume this was "lazy" programmers.

Fun fact: TSPP has a similar setting for couch locks.

1 week later
#13613 3 months ago

Game getting power but not booting. No lights, no LCD. Only sign of life is a faint buzzing sound from the power supply in the front right of cab (might be normal?). Won’t have time to dig in to it tonight… any tips in the meantime?

#13616 3 months ago

Thanks. The game matches the symptoms in the video. I understand what to do but am unsure of the two pins to jump. My mobo from ‘21 build has no connector like the one shown in the video. There are two connectors (see pics). Also other pins on mobo but nothing clearly labeled PWR.

IMG_1360 (resized).jpegIMG_1360 (resized).jpegIMG_1361 (resized).jpegIMG_1361 (resized).jpegIMG_1362 (resized).jpegIMG_1362 (resized).jpeg

#13621 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Plug in the 24-pin connector again - top row, start from right side. Count in 4 wires. Jump wire 4 to either 3 or 5 on either side of it.

That did the trick, I’m back up and running. Thanks to everyone for the help!

IMG_1363 (resized).jpegIMG_1363 (resized).jpeg
#13630 3 months ago
Quoted from woodmedic:

I have not but that is interesting! I did not know that such a board existed.

Same here. I might try if it weren’t $400. Ouch. What gives? A top of the line entire motherboard for your PC is half that.

#13650 3 months ago
Quoted from Brad25:

Need opinions. I currently have a Rick and Morty bloodsucker edition pinball machine (only 750 made I think). Might be looking to trade for a Willy Wonka LE, would you do it?

I’ve only played R&M a few times so can’t really compare. But just know that Wonka is a fantastic game. Stands up there with the best of Lawlor’s and best in general. If you like the theme the game won’t disappoint.

#13682 3 months ago

Hmm. My Wonka has needed to be jumped twice in the last week. I bet I need to replace the battery.

1 week later
#13693 3 months ago
Quoted from VinnyBlanc:

Mine is from Oct 2021 and no playfield issues whatsoever. Was that the last run maybe?

Nov. ‘21 and ditto. You’d be looking for chips around posts. They “fixed” it by putting washers that prevent the posts if they are slightly loose from rocking and digging into the clear.

3 weeks later
#13758 66 days ago
Quoted from PinDeadHead:

I really enjoy this game but Good Lord, after so many games with four Wonka bars I can’t for the life of me complete the third stage of Wonkavator MB to grab the 5th Golden ticket. Any tips, tricks, or strategies?
Cheers.

Go for Wonkavator ticket first and focus on that until you get it (you’ll likely get others along the way). It could take multiple multiballs to get the ticket so try to at least lock in progress on each one (the game will hold your progress at key points, IIRC (1) when you need to hit gobstopper to open Jack pot (2) when jackpot is ready (3) number of jackpots made (if you get 1/2 needed).

Then increase your chances by getting to Wonkavator multiball as often as possible. This means focusing on all the things that can light super lock. Learn what all those are. When most of those dry up, you can spam hitting the TV for the TV award. One of them is light super lock. Every time you get a tv award it randomly picks another so you have a chance to get that light super lock. Also if the tv is not currently on light super lock, you can hit the green target to the left of the Tv shot also to cycle in a new random award. You can get 3-4 Wonkavator multiballs in a game. And more but it starts getting real tough after that.

2 weeks later
#13809 51 days ago
Quoted from Devinsupertramp:

My issue is with both my Jersey Jack Pinball machines of Wonka and Pirates. They both have low plays around 200. Yet fairly often the pinball has a hard time ejecting out of the kickout hole/eject hole (not the main plunger hole, but the one above it).
Any insights on what would be causing this? It tends to happen 1 in every 5 balls roughly. And it will attempt to shoot the ball up a few times and always eventually gets it. It usually tends to have issues as well during multiball when it's trying to shoot the balls fairly quickly.
The machine is leveled and balanced correctly with zero sign of any issues.

Is the coil strength set too low in the software settings?

1 week later
#13829 44 days ago
Quoted from big-c66:

I’ve got a chance to get a SE game will I be missing very much not having the wonka aviator like the LE. IVE PLAYED LE BUT NOT SE but it’s at a great price 7000$. Every le I find is 10-11 thousand.

I'm a gadget lover so I really like the elevator and the bit of kinetic satisfaction from watching the balls go up and down. That said, it doesn't affect the actual gameplay all that much and for $7k you'd be getting a helluva a lot of good pinball.

2 weeks later
#13873 29 days ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I just picked up an LE as my first ever JJP game. It’s a fun to shoot game and I’m really enjoying it.
I set up scorbit but it doesn’t seem to let me log in even after I printed out the QR code. It just says waiting for game to start in the app. Am I doing something wrong?

Sadly, JJP ended Scorbit support and replaced it with… nothing at all.

#13876 29 days ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

A well that is a bunch of crap. Are they ever going to do an update? I thought I heard the game was feature complete. Game is still fun though.

The game is feature complete and the code is fantastic! It used to have Scorbit support but JJP as a company cut Scorbit from all its pins. So they don’t have any online features at all except code updates.

1 week later
#13897 21 days ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I'm not that good.

That’s static mind set. You mean “I haven’t practiced that enough yet, but I will master it”.

#13901 21 days ago

Mastering the short plunge before the auto launch can get it is really important for a lot of situations. Not just the skill shot to start modes (and which is actually crucial when your Wonka vators have dried up and you’re trying to get the light super lock by cycling through computer awards) but to get ball to upper right flipper for a lot of reasons: super jackpot right away when kid is starting up, Wonka vator super jackpot, gobstopper jackpots, etc. letting ball auto plunge all the way to pops is most often a wasted opportunity.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 32.99
$ 64.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
9,600 (OBO)
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jackd104.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside?tu=jackd104 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.