IMG_2445 (resized).jpeg
wonka (resized).jpg
ca1d7f7e-8a2b-4029-af32-f724544015c9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5842.jpeg
IMG_5849.jpeg
IMG_5853.jpeg
IMG_7855 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #149 Deep Dive on features and all that is wonka Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Post #150 SDTM video on Wonka - interview with Pat Lawlor and Joe Katz Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #160 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #188 Rules Flowchart Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #248 Features Matrix - CE, LE, SE Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #554 Early Stream of a home owner who received their game Posted by Habermania (4 years ago)

Post #785 Gobstopper subway VUK not ejecting ball fix Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #793 Gobstopper subway VUK fix pics for reference Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #1130 Latest code changelog Posted by LTG (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gorditas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10168 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Following up on this - Spoke to Joe and he is sending me a new set of the Hollograffix they apparently just released for Wonka.
https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/jjp-willy-wonka-pinblades-holograffix
I will post a picture when received - I didnt realize these existed!

Those look pretty cool. How do they look installed? I've got mirror blades on a few games to give just a bit of extra illumination. Is this game bright enough in a basement setting on it's own?

2 weeks later
#10243 2 years ago

For other new members to the club wondering about lighting: This is my new LE after clear Titans, mirror blades, and one interactive RGB strip from Hooked on Pinball. I mounted it at the top of the rear of the playfield. The game has plenty of light without any overhead. I did need to trim the left rear ramp edge slightly, as it rubbed the cabinet, even before blade install.

(Glass off, as I was getting a hot spot not visible in person, but in photos)

20211224_214523 (resized).jpg20211224_214523 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#10302 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

There is actually a setting in the menu to bump up the led brightness one notch. Can't remember if it's inserts only or includes GI but worth a look. I think it's under system settings?

See my post 10243.

#10306 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Would love to see a parts list to do this.

This thread has great info. I made a set for my JP Pro. I used rare earth magnets for mine, installing the cabinet magnets behind the mirror blades. It was more work, but a cleaner finished product.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting

#10309 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Alright, I've played about 30 games on my new LE (my first JJP!), and I have some questions for you all before I contact JJP.
-My machine moves a lot, I think due to the felt leg protectors causing extra space. I get a lot of tilts because of this. Are people just tightening the leg bolts a lot more, or what? I'm getting tilt warnings on every game, and rarely tilt on my other pins. I don't want to overtighten the bolts either.
-During a few features the machine buzzes a lot, especially at the beginning of the Elevator feature. I'm curious what mechanism is causing this. Is it a shaker, or something else in the machine? It feels pretty cool, but a little disconcerting as I'd swear something was wrong if it weren't so controlled.
-My kickback isn't syncing well with the ball, and only works half the time (and rarely correctly). I figured the machine might learn over time, but it has not improved. Should I start tinkering with the "do not tinker" coil settings section?
-I get balls stuck on the innermost left inlane between the rubbers. I can't think of any adjustment to make, and the rubbers haven't broken in enough to let a slow ball go through. If I give it a good shake it'll come loose, but clearly it's not right.
-Check your balls! One of my was badly rusted out of the box. Thankfully I noticed quickly.
This is an interesting pin. At first it was almost overwhelming because it's not super clear what to do. Most every other pin I've owned I could quickly figure out the gist of it. This one will take some time!

For the inlanes, if you have the extra posts installed, you will have a hard time getting a ball to pass cleanly with any standard rubber. The solution I found to work perfectly is post caps, with the closed end cut off. Slide them down to where the rings are currently installed, and they work perfectly. The bonus is, they look like little pieces of candy. You might be able to zoom in on the photo below to see. Not home for a close up.

https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=52

When I set up my game, I presumed the felt was just for shipping. I didn't see until later that they were intended to be "protectors." This was a solution to a problem I've never had, and every machine in my collection has custom powder coat.

For the kickback, check to see how the rollover is bent. It sounds like the ball is activating the switch late (if it fires after passing.) It might need to be bent up, or forward a bit. I'm not home to check, but there might be a delay setting as well. If it fires early, it could be the opposite problem, or your game is pitched too shallow.

I presume that the vibration you feel is the shaker. Make sure everything is tight, and check your settings. I love the integration on mine.

20211224_214508 (resized).jpg20211224_214508 (resized).jpg
#10343 2 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

I picked up a Wonka LE two days before Christmas. Distributor here said JJP re-released 200 more. They allowed him 2 and I was lucky to get one of them as the other was sold. I missed this game originally and am so happy to get one. It's been years since a new game and I love it. This is also first JJP game and I have to say I am impressed. I love the theme and it is so well done IMHO. This one is LE# 1100. I am curious if there are any higher serial numbers out there or could this be the last one of this batch? The build date does not show day, just 12/21.

Mine is #1198. Built in November.

#10356 2 years ago

Finally back home. This is how I've got mine set up, using post caps with the closed end cut off. Factory molded end up.

20220107_100734 (resized).jpg20220107_100734 (resized).jpg
#10362 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Is it me or is the "kid" shot like impossible! lol. I always have the hardest time hitting that.

I don't find it that difficult on my machine. But I had a lot of practice trying to get the "C" Chaos shot on JP, which is on a similar position. Try trapping on the right flipper, let the ball slowly roll to the end before flipping.

#10396 2 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

I’d love to see what folks have done for custom rubber colors on this game. Please share!

I have clear where back-lit, and take the color from the playfield or adjacent plastics elsewhere. This is such a colorful game, there are tons of great choices. Everything you see is Titan, unless it is purple. The purple from Pinball Life is closer to the palate of Wonka.

20211224_214508 (resized).jpg20211224_214508 (resized).jpg
#10441 2 years ago

I wonder what the odds of this happening are? I sent two balls up the ramp in quick succession during Slugworth Multiball. After a few rounds of ball searching, the machine released another ball. A shot to the ramp freed them all. Unfortunately, when the first one drained, the flippers went dead, as the machine was only accounting for one, I guess.

20220112_232717 (resized).jpg20220112_232717 (resized).jpg
#10444 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

Odds are high with the position of the ramp and that post rubber. I’d adjust the ramp a touch to the left and remove the rubber from that post - it shouldn’t be there.
[quoted image]

It had nothing to do with the rubber: the lower ball couldn't roll because of the upper one sitting on it. They came down the wireform together. There is nothing wrong with the game, it wasn't a complaint or cry for help. It was a funny coincidence, that's all.

#10481 2 years ago

I just finished installing the Pinwoofer JJP Super kit in my Wonka LE. I'm genuinely impressed with the quality of the components, especially their PCB and wiring. Instalation was pretty straightforward, and everything fit.

The only other game that I've bothered with the audio on is my IJTPA. The factory speakers and sound on the original machine sounded weak and anemic compared to my Stern and CGC games. The transformation on Wonka was on par. I've heard things from the few games I've subsequently played tonight that I've never heard before from Wonka. The only complaint I had about Wonka prior to tonight was the sound: that is no longer the case.

TLDR: I won't rush out to do this mod on every game. For Willy Wonka, however, I think it is worth the time and money.

#10487 2 years ago
Quoted from doc5md:

New to the club. Picked up my LE Thursday. Got it upstairs and setup today. Played a few games, and my miss and wife did, too. What a hit! So much fun!
A couple issues. Nothing too big.
The worst, I think, is that the go stopper must have rubbed the glass in shipping. So there is a tiny amount of orange paint gone from the corner of it and a corresponding orange scratch on the glass that I couldn’t remove. I need to take some cleaner to it (I didn’t have any with me and I couldn’t get it with my thumbnail).
The left in ramp post rubber seems to be just a hair too big as the ball will stick there once in a while if it’s too slow.
The diverter gate on the left sometimes does raise quite far enough and a slow ball will hang there a second or two.
But the game is really fun to play. Smooth. Shots were all able to be made with just a little practice. I’m sure I can fix those small issues. Not sure about the glass though- I’m hoping it’s not a true scratch.
[quoted image]

Did you submit a ticket for the glass and Gobstopper? I received replacements for both when mine arrived with the same issue. The service department was very responsive.

#10490 2 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Same happened to my glass. I complained to my distributor but haven’t heard much. I will try the ticket. Is this the place?
http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Support-Form/

Looks correct.

#10497 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

It's hard to consider it critical to gameplay when you have to stop and shake the machine to free the ball. I'd LOVE it if the rubber functioned correctly and wasn't a problem. But when JJP says "That post to the left" (the inlane post in question) "is not supposed to have a rubber on it. It was deleted by engineering for that reason." and it's getting hung up on multiple machines (including mine, see several recent posts), I'd agree with JJP and remove it. But if yours is working great, fantastic. In fact, I kinda want the cheater post in too because of the increased ability to nudge with it.

Put on alternate rubber, and have both. Post caps, with the closed end cut off and facing down work perfectly.

20220107_100734 (resized).jpg20220107_100734 (resized).jpg
#10502 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I have no experience with post caps. I assume they come in one size and look like this? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/38-6543
It is mildly irritating that JJP doesn't do something like this vs just removing the rubber.

Those are post caps, though mine came from Titan. I've found that clear rubber where lit from behind helps to add illumination to the playfield, and the RGB aspect of Wonka makes the slings especially appear to change color.

Quoted from arcyallen:

I have no experience with post caps. I assume they come in one size and look like this? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/38-6543
It is mildly irritating that JJP doesn't do something like this vs just removing the rubber.

#10503 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Really strange that some machines have this issue and some dont.

I believe that the issue with the inlane rubber comes from the sling posts being installed at the far outside of the mounting hole, effectively narrowing the lane. That small amount of adjustment is why it doesn't present itself as a problem on every game.

#10505 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Hard disagree. That rubber is critical to gameplay! Coupled with an up nudge it gets the ball out of that trouble zone.
It's there for a reason.
EDIT: if you have the cheater post installed, you're not gonna left drain anyway so I could see removing it in this case.

There are still plenty of left drains on my machine, you just have the ability to save it with the post installed. One of the frustratingly fun aspects of this game is trying to remember if you have hit the gum targets enough to get the kickback. Getting lulled into complacency expecting the kickback happens to me when I play for an extended period of time. Wonka is such a great game, I'm really glad that I took the plunge on my first JJP.

#10509 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

EDIT: if you have the cheater post installed, you're not gonna left drain anyway so I could see removing it in this case.

I was commenting on this aspect of your quote specifically, because it doesn't reflect the experience I've had on my machine. It is optional, and I'm glad to have options. I was just trying to provide perspective for those doing a search and deciding what route to go on their own machines. I have no quarrel with however anyone wants to set up their own machines to enjoy in their home. If I was an operator, you can be sure that those factory plugs would still be in place!

#10513 2 years ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

Did you pick the GT or the KO? Thanks!
Also does it help with the start up pop?

I just have the KO. I don't think the added features of the GT are necessary on more modern games.

I went down to the basement to take note of the startup. There are two, low level pops now. I presume the first is when the amplifier is powered, and the second is when the sound card comes on line. The fact that I didn't really notice it before though would seem to indicate that it is of much lower amplitude than before. My guess is that the attenuation of the factory sound is only active once the machine has fully booted. This means that when the factory amp powers up, it is at full volume, since the attenuation isn't active yet. The aftermarket amplifier in my machine isn't at full volume, so that alone would account for a smaller square wave. You could easily open the door, put the volume to zero, boot the machine, then set volume to your favorite setting and close the door. But at the volume levels I'm playing at, it isn't necessary.

#10518 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Any advice on getting the black plug filling in the cheater post hole back out of the playfield? I've tried pushing firmly from below with a screwdriver while prying on top with plastic putty knife. It's not budging. I KNEW the moment I snapped it in place it was premature installing it. And I'm very hesitant to use a metal tool to grab it from above when it's so close to the playfield.

You need to use a small round punch and hammer from UNDER the playfield to drive it out through the hole. Definitely don't pry from the top, you will probably gouge the clear.

#10527 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Can you tap a drill bit against it to pop it out?

If you don't have a punch, sure. But the average drill bit at that diameter might be on the short side. I'm not home to look, I don't recall if there are any components that would keep you away from the underside of the playfield. A few light taps of the hammer will drive it right out, you just don't want to lose control of the bit and have it pop through and slide down the playing surface.

1 week later
#10628 2 years ago

Keep in mind that there is a lot more mass inside of a JJP Blackbox than most. You have a TV mounted to a swing arm in addition to the normal PCB's and wiring. That isn't to say it won't be possible, but you are going to need to take a lot of care if you are moving a machine with a loose head.

#10629 2 years ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

So apparently there are only a few possible ways to get a JJP into my gameroom because the main entryway is 28”. I can either remove the backbox, or loosen and twist
Have avoided doing either of these things and only have Sterns (27.75”), but I’m really interested in Wonka
Short of buying a newer wider door, how difficult is it to remove or twist the backbox

Keep in mind that there is a lot more mass inside of a JJP Blackbox than most. You have a TV mounted to a swing arm in addition to the normal PCB's and wiring. That isn't to say it won't be possible, but you are going to need to take a lot of care if you are moving a machine with a loose head.

2 weeks later
#10790 2 years ago

Speaking of photos: what determines whether the photo for a high score comes from mid- game or snapped after finishing a game? I've had it do both. The gameplay photos are often blurry or show concentration that could be confused with the facial expression of constipation. My friends and I have had some good laughs, but I'd rather have better photos.

#10803 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I find it takes a picture right as you press the Start button, and uses that photo -if- it's good. If it's not, it relies on the previous picture. Try ducking right before you push Start and you'll see it'll ignore that picture.

Interesting. I'll have to try that.

#10806 2 years ago
Quoted from doc5md:

So, last night I had the following happen and I don't know what triggered it. I had one ball locked in the Wonkavator. Got Slugworth multiball which is always 2 balls as far as I know. About 2 minutes or more into the Slugworth multiball, the ball in the Wonkavator released and became my third ball in multiball. I don't recall getting a kid multiball during Slugworth.
What triggers a particular multiball to release the Wonkavator balls? It drives me nuts to have a couple balls up there, get a different multiball before locking the third Wonkavator and lose those locked balls.
Is it just me?

I've only had this happen when the balls were left there from a previous game. I presume there is something in the code about the number of balls in the trough when starting a multiball, and if the count is short, it replenishes them. Whether or not that is inhibited if the Wonkavator balls were earned in the current game, I don't know.

I try to be very intentional about not starting Kid Multiball until I've qualified them all, and usually go for Wonkavator multiball first.

#10813 2 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Has anyone used this customer shooter rod from mod father? Do you like it?
https://modfatherpinball.com/collections/willy-wonka/products/wonka-everlasting-gobstopper-shooter
I think it looks more like a gobstopper than the other mod I’ve seen at many sites which is like a bunch of hexagons bunched together.
Is the JJP part used on the CE’s available anywhere? Anyone tried to get one from JJP?
Thx
Jack

I got mine, with the Golden Ticket Wonka Bar, from Cointaker. It might be where they sourced it, but I'm not sure. I've been very happy with it.

#10822 2 years ago
Quoted from Vermont:

I am considering obtaining a NIB WW LE. My only experience with having my own pin is a Stern TMNT Premium. It seems there is much less interest in WW than there should be based on it being a top twenty ranked pin. I'm curious why this might be. Is it a JJP vs Stern thing? Something else?
It's a big chunk of money (they all are these days) so I'm curious to better understand the dynamics on this game before I jump in. I figure this is the right crowd to ask. (And I might be joining y'all soon!)

Make every effort to go play it yourself. I had a buddy come play mine who owned TMNT for a year, and he was blown away. I would say that Wonka is probably my favorite game right now. The theme, video integration, shots and rules are all top notch. My only complaint was tinny audio, which I addressed. Guests love it as well.

2 weeks later
#10995 2 years ago
Quoted from Odessa:

Hi all.
I got my Willy Wonka LE yesterday and am happy to join the club. It's number 1111 which is a very significant number for me so it was meant to be
Near perfect; slight lifting of decal near the flipper button that looks to have been dislodged by siderail. Kickback's not working properly... the coil fires after the ball has drained so not sure what to do about that.

Pull the apron off to check the alignment of the kicker. Someone a month or two ago had a similar problem, and the solenoid wasn't aligned properly and caused the problem.

#11055 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Well, I love Wonka, love Pinstadiums, and know that pics don't always come out right, so....I really don't like how that looks! I'm hoping it's just not photographing well. The biggest reason I haven't added Pinstadiums to Wonka is that I'm afraid it'll wash out the playfield if I do anything other than a dim white setting. And I don't want to spend $300 to just add dim white light. I look forward to the video, perhaps with them on and off for an A/B comparison?

I have mirror blades and a single, interactive RGB strip from Hooked on Pinball at the top of the back panel, and it is perfect. I have PS on my BM66, and had a DIY set on my JP: there are machines where I think they are necessary, this just isn't one to me. I cleared a bunch of photos from my phone, but I can post some later.

#11058 2 years ago

My topper from Tilt Topper finally arrived today. The wait was much longer than quoted, but it looks pretty darn good.

20220314_003350 (resized).jpg20220314_003350 (resized).jpg
#11060 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

How long did it take?

I was told two weeks, it was three months. Had there been communication in the meantime, it wouldn't have been an issue.

#11065 2 years ago
Quoted from RandomRetro:

Found a couple trouble spots; circled in red. Just put in a washer or what? [quoted image][quoted image]

Washers, and mind the torque when going back together.

#11067 2 years ago
Quoted from wisemanbba:

My Wonkavision sign has chipped. The 'W' is broken off the top. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement part?
Thanks

I'd reach out to JJP. They were very helpful and responded quickly when I had issues with my new machine.

#11105 2 years ago
Quoted from wisemanbba:

The chocolate factory mod. Does anyone have a pic of it actually installed? Can’t find one. Thanks

Already turned off for the night, but here is a quick couple of photos. You are close enough to come check it out in person, if you like. Send a PM.

20220316_220408 (resized).jpg20220316_220408 (resized).jpg20220316_220437 (resized).jpg20220316_220437 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#11188 2 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Is there a more cruel and infuriating moment in all of pinball than losing Wonka’s Office and getting berated by Gene Wilder? If so, I’d like to hear you try to name it.

Best integrated callout in pinball, in my opinion. Makes me simultaneously mad and smile.

#11194 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'm a dummy and confused Guns with Wonka.

They both have fun and games. The biggest difference is "little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous" vs "Welcome to the jungle baby, you're gonna die!"

1 week later
#11260 2 years ago
Quoted from phill2cb:

Just picked up my WWLE as my first ever machine and loving it. Two questions I can’t seem to find answers to online.
At the end of the game when the Oompa Loompas are forming numbers with their bodies, what is this number supposed to represent? It doesn’t see to relate to my score at all.
Sometimes there’s this very loud crack that almost sounds like someone popping a balloon at the end of the game. I’ve only had it happen right when an Oompa Loompa gives a thumbs up in front of the contorted Oompa Loompas as mentioned above and sometimes when it takes the high score picture. Any idea what this is?

They are forming a number to see if it matches the last two digits of your score. If it matches, the knocker goes off, and you are awarded a credit. In an arcade, this draws attention to a machine, much like someone hitting a jackpot on a slot machine in a casino. The percentage that a pinball machine will match is usually adjustable by the operator.

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/glossary/knocker/

#11262 2 years ago
Quoted from Polidori:

Received our new WW LE yesterday and have a noob question about the wonkavator.
Played a friend's WW a few weeks ago and saw lots of balls going up the 'vator, but we have 40 games on ours already and have never had a ball go up the wonkavator. Tech support guy at JJP said that it's very rare to get balls up the elevator so he thinks it's normal not to have it happen very often.
I've run the device tests for the wonkavator and didn't see anything out of whack.
Is it truly rare to have balls go up the wonkavator? If not, can someone point me to the most likely reason that the balls aren't going up the wonkavator?
Thank you!
Beautiful machine by the way - like it far more than the MBLE and JPLE I owned previously.

The ball only goes up the Wonkavator when "Super Lock" is lit, and you make a right orbit shot with enough momentum to make it just past the rear center of the game, where the diverter directs the ball into the Wonkavator VUK (vertical up kicker.) Post 11253 has a great video to help you understand some of these rules. If you have the mode active, and it doesn't divert the ball, there could be a setting off.

Wonkavator multiball is my favorite mode of the game. I have my machine set up to keep the balls in the Wonkavator at the end of a game, and usually play until I get to that mode.

#11280 2 years ago

I was having an issue where balls in the trough were occasionally not rolling all the way to the end, causing a ball search. I thought maybe they were magnetized, or there was a burr in the trough. As it turned out, the kicker mounting holes are slotted, and it was just a MM too high, which caused the last ball to always need to climb on top of the plunger. After lowering the assembly slightly to take the plunger out of the way, I've had no more issues.

#11297 2 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

Is there a way to delete the pictures the machine takes?

I wish there was a setting to force a high score photo to being after you enter your name. Most of my photos are very much like this:

#11302 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

You can. Ive found, thanks to others here, when you are entering your initials, just before you hit "end", give the camera some motion. Sometimes I get real close to it and back away, sometimes I wave my arms and hands around close to it... it will take a fresh picture. Ive also found its helpful that the room isnt too dark. If its too dark, it wont pickup and will use the older picture.

I'll give this a try. I tried the suggestion of being out of view when hitting the start button, to no avail. There is some observable logic to this suggestion, as I've had the machine take photos of someone who walks up beside me.

#11310 2 years ago

I was having an issue where shots to the Gobstopper weren't registering, while subsequently having the pops activate the switch. After reading through the forum, I presumed it was the switch arm causing the issue. Instead, I figured out that the 3 allen-head machine screws that hold the hinge in place were slightly loose. Pivoting the switch forward gave enough room to tighten all 3. Not only do hits register more accurately, but I get fewer bricked shots.

20220413_231547 (resized).jpg20220413_231547 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#11357 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

It arrives! Can’t wait to set him up, so much time and so little to do. Wait, strike that, reverse it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Did you try recreating the fall-tumble trick? Congrats. Wonka is a truly magical game.

1 week later
#11412 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

If I have balls locked in the Wonkavator they empty out at the end of a game. Is that normal behaviour? I’m fine if it is but my impression was they carry over from game to game

That is the factory setting. It is selectable to carry from game to game.

#11415 1 year ago
Quoted from GRB1959:Mine works the same as yours and releases any locked Wonkavator balls upon powering up the game. I just re-checked the game settings for Wonkavator multi-ball and couldn't find a setting to release the locked balls at the end of the game.
Gord

I'm not home to look, but it at least used to be selectable to clear after every game instead of just at power cycle. I think it is in "coils" or something similar. I'm pretty sure it's in the same section where you can change the delay time between balls being released, to avoid jamming. I tried it both ways, and much prefer the carry over, as Wonkavator Multiball is my favorite mode.

1 month later
#11550 1 year ago

My new best game. I really tried to stack the multiballs, and took note of the completed kids on the Wonkavision screen during their multiball.

Hoping TS gameplay is on par.

20220609_000917 (resized).jpg20220609_000917 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#11649 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:Just doing a tune up and cleaning today and had a couple of questions.Is there an agreed upon coil setting for all flippers?Also an agreed setting for sling shots and pop bumpers

I think that there are too many variables for something like that. The adjustments are there to accommodate those variables and allow the game to play as intended.

#11656 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

I too am curious about flipper power. Recently noticed that both of mine will whine a bit when held. Power seems to be a little decreased, maybe related to it being hotter in my garage?
Also it universally seems quite tough to hit that captive ball sufficiently. I think it’s probably intentionally that way, but I’m always tempted to increase flipper power a bit from defaults. My machine is leveled to bubble just touching the second line. Open to any suggestions!

Check the end of stroke switches: if they close prematurely, you have weaker flippers.

1 week later
#11834 1 year ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

What's the quick-and-dirty solution to my kickback not firing? It'll (maybe) work one out of 10 times.

Take off the apron, and make sure that the kickback solenoid is properly aligned. Several people have had them miss-aligned, causing most balls to make it past.

#11840 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

What are the best art blades for this game?

I really like the mirror blades in mine. They add depth and brightness to the game.

2 weeks later
#11978 1 year ago

Wonka is a favorite of non pinheads at my house too. They often don't know why things are happening, but plenty of exciting things do.

#12010 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I think the actual issue is the target. Because nothing happens when hit.
But i can go into tests and make the saucer move

Get out an Allen wrench, and make sure that the hinge bolts on the target are tight as well. Mike were just a little loose, and caused issues with the target.

2 weeks later
#12095 1 year ago
Quoted from ray3127:

Oh wow, very interesting. I thought I noticed it in a multiplayer game as well, but couldn't recall for sure.
Thank you, I'll dig into the settings!

I love this feature. When I first got my game, I had a really hard time getting to Wonkavator Multiball in one game. I could often get one or two balls up there, but not three. I would play until I got Wonkavator Multiball (usually half a dozen games or so) before moving on to play other games, or call it a night. I can now routinely get 3 balls up there in a single game. If I am having friends over who don't know the game, I will play a few games before they arrive, and leave two balls in the Wonkavator. I will then have them watch me play a game to learn the code, telling them that I will have them take over when I get that third ball up the Wonkavator. The look on their face when they put their hands on the machine and it starts shaking is priceless!

#12110 1 year ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

Greetings everyone!
Thought I'd jump in and mention we are having a promotional discount of 20% on our JJP Super Kit.
JJP Super Kit Flash Sale:
-JJP Super Kits 20% off
-Coupon Code "PW_AUG_2020_JJP"
-Limited number available with discount (if the code don't work, its over)
-Offer valid until Midnight 8/15/22 or when the coupon limit is reached, which ever happens first
-Web orders only, applies to domestic or international orders
https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-jjp-super-kit/
The single, best thing you can do for your JJP title.
Have a great Sunday!
Thanks,
Dan
https://PinWoofer.com
[email protected]
+1 208-855-0346, 9am - 5pm MST, Mon - Fri

For those on the fence, this is a worthwhile upgrade. A friend in my pinball club remarked when it was my turn to host a while back: "what did you do to the audio on this machine? Yours is the first Wonka I've played that doesn't sound like a high pitched annoying mess."

#12113 1 year ago
Quoted from ngg:

I’m having an issue with the ball lock mechanism in the Wonkavator. Once multi all starts the balls stay stuck behind the lock which does not seem to retract properly. Once the game goes into ball search mode, it will then retract and release the balls.
Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Pull the playfield to the horizontal service position and look at the alignment of the pin and plastics. More than likely, it is binding, and not retracting all the way.

#12131 1 year ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

New recruit to Wonka here (and JJP);other than doing backflips over how good this thing plays, the sound seems to be devoid of decent midrange.
Is there an eq or balance setting in the menu that I can’t seem to find? Or anyone replace their mids with something slightly more sensitive?

This is why the Pinwoofer kit is so popular with Wonka owners.

#12134 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Is it really day and night with the Pinwoofer? Is there a video comparison somebody has done to show that?
I just bought NIB Wonka along with countless mods. I like this idea, but I put a lot in already… this seems like a nice to have rather than must?

If you don't mind the factory audio, don't worry about it. Unless someone has high end recording equipment, and you are listening on the same, I doubt that you'd be convinced by cell phone audio. I'm not a "upgrade the audio on every game" guy. But on Wonka, the difference is stark enough that members of my pinball club asked what I did to my machine's audio without prompting.

#12137 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The first time I tried headphones on Wonka I was really impressed. People who crap on the sound for this game are deluded.

If you are speaking of the audio files themselves (as heard with headphones) I agree 100%. The sound from the factory speakers, however, is a tinny, grating mess. I'm glad that when I played the game on location that it was too loud to hear. When I first got my game at home and heard it in that environment, I wondered if I had made a mistake. A search within the group told me I wasn't alone. After the upgrade, Wonka is the total package that is now my favorite game.

#12145 1 year ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

Just added mirror blades - I was on the fence whether to go art blades but there’s a lot going on already in the playfield!
[quoted image]

Agreed. I've gotten to the point where I put them on every game. There is a lighting gain out of them as well as just adding depth.

#12188 1 year ago

I had a heater of a first ball. I thought for sure I was going to set a new high score.

Whole day wasted! (Not really. What an amazing machine this is)

20220820_010808.jpg20220820_010808.jpg
#12192 1 year ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Countless times I bottle the office mode and never complete it on my last ball. Had two golden tickets today. What happens if you complete the office mode.

Wonka says, "you did it!" The machine otherwise goes dark, and the flippers go dead. The screen will total up your score for the mode, then the machine will turn back on and eject a ball to the shooter lane for you to launch.

1 week later
#12245 1 year ago

Played a couple of games after installing the gate from @trumpanche. Every ball through the pops now lands on the left flipper, and it looks like part of the game.

The gate and a really good mojito helped me set a new GC score for myself.

20220827_004236.jpg20220827_004236.jpg
#12249 1 year ago
Quoted from ray3127:

Officially joining the club here. First, a quick background. In late May my wife and I visited the PHOF in Vegas, where I bought a t-shirt. On July 1 I noticed somebody in a PHOF t-shirt at a 4th of July party. I said hello, and turns out he lives close-by and has a Wonka CE. He said it's his #1 favorite game and I should come play it sometime.
Around the same time I had been PMing a couple Pinsiders. We were all disappointed in the TS4 reveal, and they both (independently) recommended I give Wonka a serious tryout. So I reached out to the local CE guy and played his in mid-July. It was fun, but I wasn't seriously thinking about buying until our final game, when I got a couple golden tickets and put up a #5/6 high score on his machine. That one finally showed me what was under the surface of the game.
So it seems like the stars were aligning, and after a little internal debate I ordered a NIB LE from Automated. The game arrived on August 5, and I've been tinkering with it since.
I had previously only played Wonka on location at one place, and had written it off. Looking back I can see that the game wasn't set up properly, so I never gave it a fair shot.
The theme also didn't grab me. I had seen the movie as a kid, but was ambivalent about it. We've since re-watched the movie, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not the greatest movie of all-time, but it's just a classic, and very funny. I feel like the theme is very well integrated into the game, with well-timed quotes and movie clips sprinkled throughout.
The depth of this game is amazing, and it truly shines in a home environment. It also provides a nice balance alongside my Star Wars Premium & Cactus Canyon.
Here's my list of upgrades/mods:
- Titan rubbers throughout, translucent ... EXCEPT the 3 posts, which are purple Superbands
- Superband flipper rubbers, purple (when I think of Willy Wonka, I think of purple)
- Mirror blades (PDI)
- PinWoofer kit (HUGE upgrade in sound quality)
- Lermods full translite kit (this is a MUST IMO)
- Gobstopper shooter rod & Wonka Bar plate (Hooked on Pinball)
- Extra light strip (Hooked on Pinball) attached to back-right to illuminate that dark corner
- Trumpanche Gate Mod
Cliffy's are ordered, but otherwise I'm done for a while.
Many thanks (I think...) to gorditas and zermeno68 for your help "convincing" me.... and help after receiving the game!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome to the club, officially!

#12267 1 year ago
Quoted from adol75:

That's the third one I see from the Nov/Dec 21 batch, including mine where they messed up with the sticker around the shooter rod. Seems whomever was in charge of that job really sucked at it

Cactus Canyons have been coming with the same issue. I posted this a while back in that forum for how I fixed it on CCR and Wonka:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-remake-club-new-sheriffs-in-town/page/98#post-7086769

2 weeks later
#12379 1 year ago
Quoted from Enron64:

I have owned my wonka LE since May.
This is the most magical game I have ever played. I have enjoyed it so much I sold my LZ premium and AIQ pro to fund more JJPs. I bought a dialed in but it’s not really as magical to me. I have a GNR SE coming Sunday and was wondering what other JJPs games have that wonka magic?

Wonka is a magical game, and I had much the same feeling after owning my Wonka. I pre-sold a game to have money ready for Toy Story. How could they screw up one of the best loved movie franchises, designed by my favorite pinball designer? Oh, by theming it off of the side-story, money grab sequel to the series, and taking up a huge space on the playfield not with a cool mech, but with an iPad, you know, because the 27" screen isn't enough for video. Also, leave off most of the side characters that were integral to the first 3 movies and dominate the playfield and rules with throwaway (one literal!) characters. I've played TS4 on location, and it has some fun shots. But it is no where near the magic of WW, and at 11k, not something I'm going to spring for.

I've yet to play another JJP that has "the magic." I'm interested in WOZ, but I've yet to find one in public that is 100% working. The thing I hear over and over from people who used to own it is, "it is the most beautiful game ever, but it got to where I looked at it more than played it." I had the opportunity of getting a nice Ruby Red edition locally from a seller I've worked with before on a lift cart. But I was committed to waiting on Toy Story, and had only one open slot. So sadly, I didn't even go play it. I kicked myself on the release day of TS4 for this. If you can find one to spend some time on, this would be the JJP game I'd seriously look at.

GNR is a really cool looking game, and I have fun when I play, though the ball launch still feels wimpy and weird. But many say that the scoring is "unbalanced" and you REALLY have to like GnR as a band to not get sick of it. A lot of them have a short life in collections, there are usually many for sale. I guess you will find out soon enough. I honestly hope you love it, who cares what anyone else thinks.

Dialed In is a game I've only played once, and I was pretty new to pinball. The theme didn't jump out at me. I think this is what killed that game. Many B/W titles of the 90's wouldn't jump out at people today either: but the game-play was so good, and the machines were everywhere, so people had a history with the game that they want to own themselves now that they can afford it. Dialed In didn't have that opportunity, so the "meh" theme not only killed it, but now makes it oddly pigeonholed to a specific "dated" time that isn't far enough in the past to be "classic" or universal.

Pirates is beyond stupid in terms of pricing. I've only seen one in public, and played two chaotic games where I had no idea of what I was doing.

Honestly, I'd wait and see what JJP makes for their next game. Honestly, they need a win. Every person I know who isn't a distributor who was waiting on TS bailed when TS4 was announced. Every day it seems that I see a new NIB listing for sale at a discount. GnR had tons of PR problems.

In the meantime, I used my money set aside for TS towards a Cactus Canyon. Not only do I have nearly half a game's worth of cash left over, but it has been great fun. If you haven't owned a CGC remake, you should. I honestly think that CCr SE is the best deal in pinball right now.

#12388 1 year ago
Quoted from twinturb089:

That is an awesome collection. Are Pirates and Hobbit your favorites then? Which JJP's would be the first you'd let go of, if you had to make room?

2 weeks later
#12463 1 year ago
Quoted from ray3127:

I put the Cliffy on around the kid multiball magnet (carbon fiber washer), and from time to time it traps the ball directly on top of the magnet.
Nudging sometimes frees it up, but I have to be pretty forceful and sometimes tilt.
When ball search engages/disengages the magnet, the ball comes loose. But that takes a while.
Whether nudging or waiting for ball search, the flow/timing of the game is interrupted.
Any fixes other than taking the Cliffy off?

I cut a small, round piece of mylar that goes over the magnet core. This reduced the height difference between the washer and the core, eliminating the problem on my machine.

#12469 1 year ago
Quoted from Enron64:

Well as embarrassing as it is I finally made it to wonkas office for the first time. What a mode! Very cool and a lot of fun. This game is the gift that keeps on giving.

Well, did "you get nothing?" It is the only mode in pinball that makes me laugh, even if I lose.

3 weeks later
#12545 1 year ago

For once, I had a heater of a first ball going, and didn't mess it up. My new GC.

20221105_222124 (resized).jpg20221105_222124 (resized).jpg20221105_223948 (resized).jpg20221105_223948 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#12617 1 year ago
Quoted from brooklynknight:

I am on the fence with getting pinstadiums for willy wonka. Anyone here that can share if they loved them or did not see the value for the $$. For those that do have it is it a day and night improvement and it makes the light show that much better? I have a CE if that matters.

I own a set of Pinstadiums: they are now in storage. Put a set of mirror blades on Wonka, and a strip of interactive RGB lights in the back of the cabinet, and you are good to go.

#12621 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Is CoinTaker the main place to buy mirror blades for Wonka?

Yes. Be sure to get a set of protectors for lifting the playfield. It is tight, and you might need to adjust the plastic ramp on the left of the machine, but it is worth the effort.

#12666 1 year ago
Quoted from Galooch:

Do you have any specifics on how to adjust your left ramp? I can’t see any obvious wiggle room to give me a little more play. I have held off on getting mirror blades because my left ramp is extremely tight (basically rubs against the left side). I use my GNR side protectors and those are tough to get in there as it is without mirror blades on there. That ramp is the culprit.

If I recall, I loosened the mounting points, and slid it towards the center of the machine. There was a tiered section with black spacers that wasn't aligned very well that I also loosened and squared up while sliding that assembly inward. I had one pointy section of a ramp that I filed.

2 months later
#12831 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

With all the new games coming out this month how does this group feel about whether Wonka stacks up to them?
I feel it holds it’s own quite well but I have seen a couple come up for sale in my market so I’m curious

It is still my favorite game to play in my collection. Lots of flow, a variety of shots, and it is funny.

7 months later
#13313 6 months ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

No Room For Mirror Blades?
I’m not finding owner photos of mirror blades in this thread, but I did come across at least one post about how little gap there is between playfield and cabinet. Who among you is using mirror blades and with what success?

See my post, #10243

2 months later
#13665 3 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

That is why you keep zorting it.
I would strongly recommend leaving the wall switch ON, and turn the game on/off from the power switch in the cabinet.
The PC in these games treats external power toggles as a brownout, which can get it into the state requiring a reset.

First I've heard of this, and did a search within the thread. Do you have a source for this?

1 month later
#13777 61 days ago
Quoted from Farmboss:

This pin is new to me. I have only played a handful of games on it, but have noticed that the kickback when trigger often misses hitting the ball and the ball drains. Is ther anything I can do to fix this?

Take off the apron and look at the alignment of the kicker assembly. More then likely, it is not mounted straight.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,600 (OBO)
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

11,000 (OBO)
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gorditas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside?tu=gorditas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.