0C2A0BF8-EF0F-44D3-91E0-218D9822C924 (resized).jpeg
9C872C52-376B-4D41-9C97-CCBE9F2308BB (resized).jpeg
F428CE75-A93B-4417-86F1-6DD57EFD4718 (resized).png
A4223727-90E5-4419-BFBA-9B8BF530DC79 (resized).jpeg
76588813-EBAC-4B79-B8B6-26BF2063D934 (resized).jpeg
A69965FB-7095-4056-BC15-2A00CB024AAF (resized).jpeg
CFB356E9-EA18-481C-9C78-D3F4C9088029 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #149 Deep Dive on features and all that is wonka Posted by pin2d (2 years ago)

Post #150 SDTM video on Wonka - interview with Pat Lawlor and Joe Katz Posted by ZMeny (2 years ago)

Post #160 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (2 years ago)

Post #188 Rules Flowchart Posted by f3honda4me (2 years ago)

Post #248 Features Matrix - CE, LE, SE Posted by f3honda4me (2 years ago)

Post #554 Early Stream of a home owner who received their game Posted by Thegeekyhusband (2 years ago)

Post #785 Gobstopper subway VUK not ejecting ball fix Posted by Lermods (2 years ago)

Post #793 Gobstopper subway VUK fix pics for reference Posted by Lermods (2 years ago)

Post #1130 Latest code changelog Posted by LTG (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider delt31.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#130 2 years ago

Here we go fellas!

#148 2 years ago

wow really impressed thus far. Looks amazing.

EDIT - shot layout looks very good but I'm feeling major Alien vibes up top which could be a little redundant. Hmm....

#163 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Also the rules are great allready at 40 percent... its gonna be great

Rules are further along than 40 confirmed in the beginning - it's basically fully coded

#167 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Just got off the phone with someone in the loop.. its only 40-50 percent atm

The freaking coder said it was done except wizard modes give it up haha

There's going to be polish off course but don't think it's half way done only.

#169 2 years ago

Love that plunger sound when you start....

#178 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea big difference from the overhead video. Game looks great and impressed with everything on the playfield. Im really not sure what the debbie downers are unhappy about but i guess some people are never impressed and just like to complain.... after all its usually the same jjp and stern haters at every release. This is gonna b a huge hit for jjp .. especially the new price of the standard model.

game looks very good but def not the game changer. Disappointed in the main toy. Who cares how many times it turns to let the ball in.

Real story here is that sweet 7500 price tag for the standard.

Another really solid entry in the JJP universe but I'm hoping GnR takes it to the next level.

#261 2 years ago

Think about this - do I get standard version of Wonka AND a Stern pro or just Wonka CE....

I just can't even fathom someone picking the CE... It's not like those CE will become more valuable. Every CE from jjp has dropped. For someone who would pick the latter is it just bc money doesn't matter and you want the definitive Wonka regardless how much?

#267 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Pretty much. Don't judge!

not judging - just curious. That's fine.

Seems like the answer is money doesn't matter which is totally fine and actually is the only answer that makes sense to me on this.

#276 2 years ago

did anyone see the part where the girl turns into a big blueberry incorporated into the game? I hope that's in there!I watched the entire stream that night but don't recall. I also missed a little here and there...

2 months later
#697 2 years ago
Quoted from Gasoline:

I got to play at zaphX's house (being a helper) and this game is truly addictive!
For all the initial complaints about sound and voice call outs being poorly implemented (I was one commenting on this too), that is lesser of an issue but can still be an annoyance. With the latest code release, sound/music has become better integrated and does not really grate on you like it can while watching past pre-release streams. Music is great and call-out integration is definitely better. There are times you feel like you are in a Wonka sound blender b/c the sound clips are hard to associate with the pin flow and can be right on top of each other but that hopefully will tighten up with future releases of code.
The vids and sound clips are still not synched for the most part. The only scene I truly saw a clip play with sound synched with the actors was the Wonkavator Multi-ball mode. So it can be done. Hopefully this also becomes better integrated/synched across clips with future code releases.
Playing is a whole different experience! The game rules are deep but if you focus on ramps and gobstopper shots to start, you will be completely satisfied. The deeper you go discovering and understanding the objectives, the more fun this game becomes. It's like peeling back an onion of fun and that is the journey you must take.
After listening to JJP talk about their POV on the design of the flow of the game and how to play the game, I have come to accept that this pin will not be a world under glass of reliving the iconic Gene Wilder movie. I think a lot of us were hoping for that. Instead, we sort of take an Oompa Loompa point-of-view of working the factory and helping find the kids and their golden tickets as you play through it (my interpretation; not offically JJPs). What JJP needs to do a better job at is tell us a story to help us understand what our role as the player is for plunging the ball and why we are playing! Otherwise, you may come to think you are randomly gathering kids, finding multi-ball modes, and collecting golden tickets for no reason.
I have no doubts about my pre-order for this game where as before I was starting to get worried after playing beta code at NWP&AS. All doubts are gone. The physical form is amazing! The light show is dazzling! Music is foot tapping! Now lets get the code refined on sound/vid clips and everyone will be loving this game!
In my opinion, Wonka has the potential to become an instant classic! Plunge on!

Nice summary of the game

I felt the mashup style as well and was just so disappointed. Why they didn't do the walk-through of the factory with the modes I'll never understand.

I really hope they revisit the code and music especially the announcer bc it does shoot really well but I'm officially out until then

#862 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Here we go again, the dropping ball soap opera!

I can guess the next title for kanedas podcast haha

#1058 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

He has it listed at standard price 7500. Maybe a copy paste error on his add but nothing to call him out on. Mike is a stand up guy and dealer and takes care of his buyers and pinball community. Just the facts.

He listed it originally at 8k but everyone makes mistakes and updated it.

What's not a mistake are the mark ups on his games. That's just a fact. Prices are very high. But hey if he gets them great. I just don't know who or why people do.

#1060 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Fair enough and understood. Just hard to knock a guy that does do all he can for our interest and holds Many free open house parties so we can free play some of the great games (new) from a real brick and mortar store. Cool to see in this time of Amazon. Mike really is a great guy but yes he at times has to cover a huge overhead to keep a storefront open in these times. I respect that.

Totally get that and no comment from me on Mike.... He sounds like a great guy.

Just commenting on those prices.

#1102 2 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

You didn't consider the possibility of $500 in taxes? Most parts of the country the taxes on a $7500 purchase would be at least that.
Plus the listing price says $7500 but the description says 8000. Probably an error or just giving people a realistic estimate of what it would be with taxes. Hardly a "gouge".

Hardly what i said either b/c I agree with you - the Wonka price is not a gouge. The other used games he sells are priced really high I have no idea who buys those besides people unfamiliar with the industry.

#1103 2 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

You know I’ve owned it. I can have my opinion. We all do. Some love it, some don’t. It’s a good game. But it isn’t a 10. For instance I know you loved playing Alien at my house over Potc, don’t even lie. Lol

I agree - pirates is really really good. It's not a 10 though. Modes that are all the same, lack of assets and the fact it's pirates brings it down for me.

#1132 2 years ago

Watching this movie with my kids right now. What a classic.

1 week later
#1420 2 years ago

so did JJP confirm during this recent code updates that music and effects were improved b/c I just played the latest version of wonka and it seems better but I didn't see it in the code updates

Also - the LEs are very nice looking. Still think SE is the way to go but they did a nice job with the powder and overall package.

#1422 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

You keep this up and you will talk yourself into buying a Wonka

I've been trying to since release b/c I love the theme so damn much

#1429 2 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Delt we have similar taste in games. I've had my LE for a few days and yes there are certain things lacking in regards to theme integration / code, but what IS there is amazing.

Yes - I agree. Good to hear. I'm thinking about it still now that I was able to actually enjoy a game recently as they toned down the effects....we'll see. It always shot so well.....

#1431 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

FWIW I don't hear anything different in the effects from the reveal streams to current production. Not saying there's not anything, I could be overlooking it, but it seems the same to me.

yeah a few others mentioned some audio updates so I tried today and it did feel better. Not sure exactly but I'll need to play a few more times to confirm but it was the first time I didn't want to pull my hair out.

#1441 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I really don't think so. I played back the original Buffalo stream with Pat Lawlor playing, then one of my recent ones. I really think you guys are just realizing that playing it, the sounds work fine. Can't judge a pin by a stream

zaphx - with all due respect, and I've said this a number of times, I've played the game many times now. This has nothing to do with streams. The sound and effects are still terrible but today it seemed to be a little less terrible than before. I'll need to play more to see if this was just a lucky day where my hearing wasn't as good but it has nothing to do with watching people's streams and coming to that conclusion.

Look I know you're a big JJP guy - just listen to when people explain things b/c I've mentioned this a number of times.

#1532 2 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Hmm. Did your hearing change too, just like mine?
I was pretty sure it's mellowed out a good bit. The audio annoyances feel in the background MUCH more than months ago, even a bit since last month.
Game is really nice to shoot, and has made solid improvements! I just don't feel connected to the game when completing modes or making shots. It just feels like random target shooting, the modes never stick with my after play.

Well went again and played a ton more....I just can't pull the trigger on this game for the same reasons noted earlier. So disappointing but I'll be monitoring the code updates and revisit then.

#1711 2 years ago

You play with lights on. Many of us don’t. Without lights on it is terribly dark. Mine has since been corrected and is much improved.[quoted image]

You have pinstadiums installed there right? If so, I like how the powder ramps appear to prevent that awful candy striping.

I've seen PS on the standard and they look terrible. Absolutely terrible. I would go the lermods approach with a standard, PS with a LE.

Speaking of the LE, I do think it looks much nicer with that powder and much better side art. Not sure all of that plus the other items warrants 1500 but jjp did a nice job on the LE.

HUO on these standards is super attractive though with them dipping into high 6 and will go down from there.

Crazy how fast JJP NIB drops. You take such a hit with them unless you get lucky like potc!

#1801 2 years ago

Everyone, please call Jenn or post on the support forum/claim about your issues with the diverter. Right now they do not believe us and say only 1 person has had issues.

vivid - I hope one day one of your NIB games works well! I feel like if it's not wonka, it's alien or something else!

4 months later
#3705 1 year ago

So I've made some recent moves, including getting a Wonka LE for the kids and I have to say surprisingly I'm really enjoying it. The new code vs. what I played when it was initially released does a much better job of including more variety in music, call outs and less annoying effects. The announcer is still bad but I remind myself it's Charlie's Grandpa which is prob not right but makes it easier to understand. Rules are not immediately apparent either but I've read up and things make sense with the big screen trying it's best to help....

The layout which was always strong along with the gorgeous cabinet and powder (BIG diff over the standard and the nicest powder they've done with that glitter in it) and jjp quality really makes it stand out in my all of a sudden all Stern collection. I'll never understand why they don't include all the audio with video but there is a ton of video in there which is the most important part.

My game has a lot of mods and that really cool chocolate river topper that was just released by jjp. I'm def going to keep it longer than I anticipated and even though it might eventually see it's way out I have MUCH more respect for this game than before. I absolutely love the wonka theme which helps too and the mk codes throwback is a nice touch although I don't really understand what the majority of them do.
20200105_181555 (resized).jpg

#3708 1 year ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

now JJP just needs to address the brightness issue for the wonkatania topper (menu controlled topper dimming does not work for this topper) and it should be good! too bright

Agreed way too bright.

Quoted from davisjl1979:

Glad to hear you like it. I was reading your post in the md dc va thread and you seemed less than enthusiastic lol.

Yeah I really only got this game bc of the kids and it's turned it to be a pleasant surprise with it's latest code.

#3713 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Go back and watch the launch streams. I think you’ll find it hasn’t changed that dramatically.
I suspect what has changed is your mindset towards the game - I’m really glad you’ve given it a chance and now see what it has to offer.

Yeah it's definitely changed but I'll leave it at that. Glad to see the updated code polish has paid off at least for me.

Quoted from bigd1979:

All the times u argued with with saying how horrible it was....lmao... In typical delt fashion he actually plays it in a home environment like I said too ... and surprise it's not bad and actually great. You sld learn to listen to those who actually own a pin for a while and understand a good pin ..... glad you all are enjoying it and u actually gave it a chance like I told u too instead of writing it off bc of some audio and not matching up to the video..... bc who really cares as the gameplay is what matters in pinball

I've played it by myself with full audio on the first offered code. Wasn't for me for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Polished off code has really helped the weaker spots as I always agreed the layout and feel is stellar. Thought I would update my impressions.

#3720 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Can you point to something specific that you found so horrible in the launch that has changed in the current release?

I think someone already provided you with the obvious answer (see the numerous patch notes for full detail on all that's changed) however I'm not here to debate this but let's just say this industry is saturated with ass kissers. I'm not one of them and called it like I saw it based on numerous experiences with the game and had it on order ready to buy as I was super excited.

Similar to many games like TWD where code updates really helped out, I'm now actually enjoying the game much more and circling back with that feedback. Simple as that. I still question some of the poor choices (audio and video sync, announcer, etc) but I play it fair and will return with an updated view if it's changed, and it has.

That's about it.

#3726 1 year ago
Quoted from KingBW:

delt31 - have you played a CE game with the female (Veruca Salt) call outs? Just curious if that is better for you for "the announcer".

That would be great if the announcer was changed to her. Cool addition for the CE owners! If this was a stern, I would try to inject her voice into the LE but unfort can't do that with JJP (unless now that I'm aware of).

Quoted from zaphX:

What you call ass kisser I call respect for the creators and the work that went into making a thing. Making is hard.
I do wish you hadn't eviscerated it at launch, but honestly I am just glad you like it and it's making you and your family happy.

I can't blindly ass kiss b/c of the fact these guys build a pinball machine. Just not me. Play experience was very disappointing in the early stages and therefore I've commented as such. Standard cabinet too was an absolute joke. LE corrects that really well! Latest code made it more enjoyable - simple update.

Let's move on though as this is really getting dumb. I'm getting side art this week and will update with pics as I didn't see them posted yet. Maybe help some others who are on the fence.....

#3731 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Her voice is everywhere on the CE, very impressed with the number of callouts and such. Really makes the CE pop. Now is it worth the huge premium over the LE? If I had to do it all over again, I'd say probably not but to JJPs credit, they didn't skimp on her voice usage in the CE code.
Jeff

Any videos of this? Would love to listen in....

#3732 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

What I’m interested in is strategies for getting the second golden ticket and beyond!
Welcome to the Wonka party.

Thanks!

#3737 1 year ago

thanks! I agree - her voice is a welcome addition to the announcer in this game.

#3743 1 year ago
Quoted from Budman:

Delt31,
What is your build date? I am assuming that your playfield looks ok and void of pooling?
This issue has kept me on the sidelines from buying this title.

Don't recall exactly but yes, looks great. Previous owner also took additional preventative measures. Ultimately I wouldn't have that as the only thing to sideline you if you're interested in this game.

#3752 1 year ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Got my LE last week and loving it but there’s no visual of Violet blowing up like a blueberry? Or Agustus being stuck in the pipe? Such big wonderful scenes from the movie that I had assumed would make it into the game.[quoted image]

I suspect certain scenes they couldn't get. No way they forgot about those....I think the kid stuck in pipe is on the art. Might be the same with violet. Call out is in there

#3765 1 year ago

Side blades installed.....fyi for any future buyers. Tilt. Chocolate fountain was lacking originally which is why I love jjp btw topper and now these.

20200109_233750 (resized).jpg20200109_235024 (resized).jpg20200109_233757 (resized).jpg20200109_235003 (resized).jpg
#3767 1 year ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

How do you rate the topper?

It's very well made and heavy. Love the look but the light right now is way too bright. Once that bug it's fixed, it's a must have imo. Really fills in that chocolate river gap.

#3781 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Where did you get the side blades?

Tilt

#3786 1 year ago

How do you earn the other tickets besides the first?

I rather not see anything else than reduce difficulty. It wouldn't mean as much and take away incentive as mentioned already

#3824 1 year ago

SE is a great value and as others said doesn't really justify going LE..... Until you actually see the LE in person and realize how much nicer it is.

Logical decision = SE but in this hobby when you're spending 7k+..... Now same can be said for CE but thankfully logic prevailed on that one for me as looks wise, it's not the same difference as the SE to LE jump.

Wonkavator lift off also has one of the rare video and audio sync... Which don't even get me started.... Just happy to have some. The lock itself is very generic but still cool to see and again lift off with the sounds video Shaker and lights is prob one of the best the game has that I've seen.

SE still the value play no question

#3831 1 year ago

Just throwing it out there for potential JJP folks reading this - would love for the count up sounds at the end to be changed. Starts to grind on you (one of the remaining of the worst offenders) but luckily I can skip it and that last sound is OK.

Still trying to get that damn golden ticket too. I feel the game is very fair though - never feel cheated and that's with the left side open and right side stock.

#3901 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Im sure you have, but have you had fair time with an LE with wonkavator?
Back when I first started getting into the hobby, I bought my first machines, TWD Pro. I later regretted not getting the Premium as I felt I was missing out on some cool stuff... I said I would never make that mistake again. Year or so later, bought a GB Premium and never regretted it.
Now im back to the decision haha. My fear of missing out is my issue ha. But I agree, the jump in price is what is making this so hard.

Not to complicate things but based on what I've seen on pinside from you (this and other threads), you're going to regret not getting the LE. If you were someone that was penny pinching, sure but the upgrades are nice and you might really enjoy it and then say, I wish I had the full wonka experience. Technically the SE doesn't and that's fine but if you're 7k deep already, that might be a regret. Again - I think the SE is the better value no question but I'm not sure you're in the value game when enjoying your pinball - you seem to be more in it for the experience and just the powder alone, makes the game look much nicer and that's when it's turned off haha.

#3914 1 year ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

SE owner here. ZERO regrets. I added my own upgrades and I have everything I want.

sure. SE is a great option for certain people. It’s a GREAT value.

#3963 1 year ago

Two things

I heard the best call out by far in this game. I went for the super skill shot by holding in the left flipper and I ended up getting the normal skill shot which of course awarded me nothing. Well in comes wonky saying YOU GET NOTHING! Now that was a damn good call out Joe

Other thing - I wish this game would use the camera more. I notice it takes a picture of me at the very beginning but for what reason?

#3965 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It snaps the photo when you shoot the camera ramp with the red LED flashing.
I wish it were more of an “event” too TBH, it always captures the worst pics

Thanks. How do you light that red led and does it have any game/point impact? Doesn't seem like it

#4058 1 year ago

So put up 4.5 but only one ticket . I need to read the rules again!

#4126 1 year ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Not seeing anything in the release notes for update 1.33 to control the brightness of the Wonkatania topper.... Anyone know if they are working on it??!?

Man I hoped they fixed that.

#4148 1 year ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

I wonder if layering automotive window tint between the led chassis and acrylic sandwich face would do the trick?
Either 20% or limo 5%?

I might try that. This topper is way too nice to replace with another. I doesn't really bother me being that bright but they're is a topper brightness in the game... Weird

I can always unplug it too but cmon jjp.

#4236 1 year ago

I decided to take off that eye sore by the right ramp which covers the beauty of that powder. Once in a blue moon, a ripper will fall off to the left but I like seeing more of that area and less clear plastic. FYI:

20200202_100643 (resized).jpg
#4238 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Be aware that the purpose of that shield is also to protect your Oompa Loompa. He can take an airball and break.

Yeah I hear you. I'll continue to monitor but when it rarely happens the ball falls off and doesn't come close.

#4244 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I noticed in the reviews for the Wonka machine, there are a few mentions of the poorer audio quality of this game, so its definitely not me.
Also one mentioned that the sub didnt do much to fix this and that the audio just is flat in general.
Ill probably pick up another polk at some point to see if it helps at all but still underwhelmed with the audio quality from this game. its bugging me..

audio on mine is just like all the other JJPs however I am using an external sub. No diff in quality.

#4285 1 year ago

So earlier I posted about removing that protective plastic bc it looked better on the right ramp. I've been playing that way for the past month however I would suggest not doing this bc last night the ball did move more than I've ever seen to the left. Luckily not close to causing damage but I'm not pushing it.

Long story short, don't take off the plastic on the right ramp!

1 week later
#4519 1 year ago

Finally made it to Wonka's Office (2nd Golden ticket).

Interesting mode - odd. Heard it was really cool. It was OK. Beat it and the flippers died just like hobbit which I always like for that extra drama.

#4522 1 year ago
Quoted from Skipnatty:

Wonka's Office is all about risk/reward. Extending the mode to try to build the value (and shooting the more valuable shots) rather than completing it right away is where it shines.

Good to know - I'll need to read about it more. I was surprised I could even reach it honestly. Speaking of, I was one shot away from Kid MB super jackpot which I believe would have given me another ticket. Point being, I'm not very good and I was close to get another ticket. I think the difficulty in this game is great - no need to tweak.

#4528 1 year ago
Quoted from Skipnatty:

The code is pretty brilliant, I agree...if you just want straight up points, lots of ways to do it, but playing to get tickets is a blast. I will say, for Kid, you need a jackpot for each of the kids, the double jackpot (camera ramp), and a super...you can check progress in the status report as well. Think it's probably right up there with Factory for the 2nd easiest ticket, IMO. Not implying you didn't know, just throwing it out there lol
Wonka is a "one more game" game in the best sort of way.

Yep - I hit them all, double and then just had super and choked.

What are your strategies? This game still feels somewhat random when I hit the newton or scoop - random modes pop up which I believe is intended (ex - no way to deliberately start good egg right)?

#4545 1 year ago

Pinsub (pinnovator) is a complete waste from my experience. Glad others are getting value but I did a comparison and noticed no difference.

Alligator clips all day.

#4577 1 year ago

I reached wonka's office again and failed this time and a video clip with audio played from one of the best scenes of the movie (you get nothing!). It was so great. Shame there aren't more BUT I'm happy to see that one in there. Makes it easier after bricking!

I'm also noticing a lot more call outs in the newest code. Again wish the video was there too but they did a good job capturing some of the best lines.

#4604 1 year ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

I just printed something on paper.
Not perfect, but better than the empty hole.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I really like this. I no longer have my wonka but i'll be back (had to get JJP POTC) and I would love to add this.

#4606 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Solid move on the POTC. Which Wonka will you be getting?

I think I'm going standard next. The prices they go for now are insane (6.5k for that much game - I can live without the upgrades).

#4609 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

It sure is lots game for that but I know nib ones can b had for 7200 also but I'd still get a lightly modded huo one for 6500-6800.... as fast as you go threw things standard makes most sense lol. But for long time keepers I go for huo modded le versions . You did good getting that potc bc wonka is easy to get compared to it and for much cheaper. The guy that got your wonka le seems to b very happy also.

Well the cash he got along with my Wonka LE probably made him happy too. I wish it was a clean trade.... It was not. Worth it though.

2 months later
#5176 1 year ago

Guess who's back?

Standard has to be the best value in Pinball.

So far my concerns of having DI and Wonka together and them feeling too similar are no longer there. Def feel different enough. I can't get enough Pat.

#5181 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Wait, what? You had an LE and sold it, then got an SE? I missed all of this.

Yeah - I like Wonka but not at the LE price point. Sound in particular still bothers me. At SE price point though, it feels like a great deal. Layout is so good on this game. Could have been a masterpiece

#5188 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It's a tough one with lots of goals to work for too, making it interesting for the long haul.
I personally like the sounds, but I've got the CE callouts so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wish I has the CE callouts - I like them more than LE/SE but that's not saying much ; )

Good to see Jack do that though for you CE guys. Pirates did a great job with that too.

#5194 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

When I first got my Wonka it did seem the sound was thin compared to my DILE.I hooked it up to a Polk 10” and it sounded a lot better.Is this lessser sound due to sound guy or equipment?

I can't recommend this enough. Without a sub, the sound is so thin. Prob the worst I've heard of all jjp when not using a sub. In general though their sound isn't as full as the others.

Polk 10 are on all my machines. Big upgrade. Forget updating internal sub or speakers - external I find is the best bang for your buck.

I also recommend tweaking the tv. Colors were washed out beforehand.

#5214 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Is there a subwoofer hookup anywhere or are people wiring these subs to the cabinet speaker?

Always alligator to the internal sub and never had an issue. Sounds great. I use one sub per game

#5223 1 year ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

Interesting. I've never once thought the sound quality was bad on my Wonka. It doesn't sound tinny or lowfi at all to me. With all of the recent chatter here about adding an external sub, I had to fire up my LE and take a second listen, but my opinion still hasn't changed. Early on, before I owned my machine, I looked into possibly trying the Pinwoofer setup, but for $200+, I couldn't justify it, especially since it would be nothing more than an experiment to see if it really made much difference. Personally, I think the game sounds fantastic, very rich, crisp and full. Wonka is also a game (and theme) that I would never expect to pump out deeper bass tones. I mean, watch the movie and listen to the score/soundtrack -- it's mostly on the high end. I could be in the minority here, but to me the game sounds great.

forget pinwoofer - not needed. Grab alligator clips for cheap and you're set. External sub is nice. It's a why not really.

#5254 1 year ago

Standard representing

20200514_155659 (resized).jpg20200515_132311 (resized).jpg20200514_155704 (resized).jpg20200515_132305 (resized).jpg

20200513_165227 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#5352 1 year ago
Quoted from Lrrr:

I agree that the slings are fine from a gameplay perspective. From a mechanical point of vew, they are not very satisfying. Tried adjusting sling power in menu and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the super soft slings. Seems specific to Wonka bc my DI is much more explosive

#5358 1 year ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I am thinking about wonka,question,is the wonka ball lock worth it,I am feeling no but have never played le,any thought?

I had an LE. Sold and bought an SE. Don't miss the lock at all. SE all day on this one for me. It's prob one of the best values in Pinball.

#5382 1 year ago

Last night I had a really good ball and after the score was tallied the game said CRAZY! Same sound bite as DI. Very lawlor to bring in the same sound bite from one of his other games but now in the modern form

1 week later
#5463 1 year ago
Quoted from jayman4911:

Nice topper
ebay.com link
Looks better than the oem flat version

Looks terrible. Someone bought some Wonka items and made a "topper" out of it. Complete garbage

I actually in the jjp le one. It's very nice and well made. Cool waterfall effect. Ideally it would be nice to control brightness but definitely not an issue that would cause me not to use it. Really nice looking and brings in the biggest omission in the game itself..... Choc river

#5465 1 year ago
Quoted from robgo777:

On the subject of Toppers.. my wife was thinking about making one for ours. She wants it to be a large golden ticket, printed on gold foil, LED lit and encapsulated in plexiglass.
Let me know if that would be something you would be interested in also.
Best Regards,
Robert Goebel
Pinshakers LLC
www.pinshakers.com

Sounds great! I'm sure it would sell well

1 week later
#5549 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I don’t know what they can do other then send me a new blade which is going to be a pita to replace . It looks defective there is a piece of plastic sticking out that just rubs against it hard even if I use the protectors u can’t put them on there is no room
[quoted image]
Some other minor things I wouldn’t expect but can’t be totally ok I gues s
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's ridiculous. Look let's be honest. No one is buying the CE brand new bc the secondary market is so weak there is a major loss up front (same with LE) so they have time to check out the ones that actually sell and yours comes with such an obvious issue - should have been caught.

Cmon jjp. Step it up.

I wouldn't lift a finger to fix that. For the price you paid jjp should install it. Seriously. Otherwise I wouldn't buy another nib from jjp period. Absolute bullshit for the amount you paid.

9 months later
#8403 7 months ago

CE owners - I love how there are unique call outs in the code so it has my interest but I've never seen the red in person. I think the blue is JJPs nicest powder, right along with WOZ ECLE.

Does that red have a sparkle in it too? It looks kind of flat from the pics....

#8407 7 months ago

The call outs got me interested as the sound on this game is the weakest part by far but I just don’t like the red. I much prefer that blue sparkle. I was hoping the red had a sparkle to it but it sounds like that’s not the case. I also think radcals are really overrated so that’s not a factor for me.

Wonka LE could be one of my fav looking pins from JJP although that’s also b/c it’s one of my fav movies. GnR LE my #1 looking pin from them.

#8410 7 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I hear you, I like that sparkly blue too. I'm a sucker for radcals though
How are you doing on golden tickets? I love the gameplay on this one.

2 but I actually like the challenge of this game. I also don't have a lawlor pin anymore and this is by far my fav theme of his. Plus it's a deep playing game. I've conditioned myself to ignore the terrible sound effects and the kids are really looking for it too. It's only a matter of time until I jump back into the club. This time with the LE. I need that sparkle and the SE cab art is truly one of the worst ever.

#8421 7 months ago

Should be rejoining the club this weekend - this time with an LE. Standard is such a good value but F it, that blue sparkle is so nice.

Question is where are you guys getting those stand alone mushrooms? Not the ones in grass but I see guys with single mushrooms throughout that look good

#8423 7 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

We welcome you back...again

Haha

Btw - I enjoy your tutorial videos. Good job on those. I’m also on a JJP kick. WOZECLE, POTC, Hobbit, GnR LE and now Wonka. DI is the only one but I really don’t dig the theme although I appreciate the great layout. Wonka and DI in the same collection - might be too much.

#8428 7 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Wow delt this makes your third Wonka?

Yep although to be fair, I moved my first very fast as I couldn't deal with the sounds. I've learned to live with them, that's all. Had the standard for longer and needed some space. Now it's time for the LE to return

#8489 7 months ago

EDIT - ended up with a long summary here. Apologize - getting this in before the crazy workday.....

So at this point, I own all the JJP games except Dialed In. I'm not someone that sits around with games just to have them so I've seen a lot. I'm really starting to appreciate all that you get from JJP vs. others. That being said, I still love that stern responsiveness/feel and therefore need to have them too. Not too many - a stern truly is a stern BUT they make one of my favorite games in JP. What a masterpiece. My others is TMNT but I'm a huge TMNT fan.

For the record, I will say that Dialed In is a great game. For what they are going for, if my wife wasn't already going to kill me with the 10 I have, it would be in my collection as well. I simply don't own it right now b/c of theme alone. I never liked the theme and in a competitive sport called how many pins can you own before your wife leaves you, here I am. The other big weakness in DI is that SIM card shot. It's broken. No skill, just luck and I don't want to hear it's about how it's setup. It's not. Owned many - they all are jank. If the shot wasn't so important, I wouldn't mind but it's a design flaw in a otherwise, amazing design.

Here's how I rank them right now.

Pirates #1: weakness is theme and modes that don't feel different enough. That's offset by literally the greatest widebody design, if not general design in pinball and toys like we've never seen since the 90s and will likely not see again from JJP unless they change their business model. I would even say the toys beat the 90s games considering how many there are and how well they work. The use of them is perfect too as they all interact with the ball well and with the chest closing mod, it's pinball perfection in my mind. Truly a game of magic.
Overall, unbelievable flow for the size, toys that are amazing and it's all pulled together with solid code. So many ways to play it as well.

GnR#2: This is def based on my love for the band. This game imo, if you're not a fan of GnR, is incredibly overrated. Lights are amazing and theme integration is some of the best (which is why it ranks high) but otherwise, shots are good but not amazing, and code is whatever as I'm not a points guy. I can totally understand people passing on this game if you're not someone who likes to play for points, doesn't care for the band and doesn't like MBs. If you have this trifecta, I would pass. For me, MBs makes the songs last longer and my love for the band makes that work out well. I love the concert feel, so I value the strengths a lot. It also has some of the nicest art on the cab ever from JJP, if not the best.

Next 3......Wonka, WoZ and Hobbit.

Hard to determine the order here.

I absolutely love the theme of wonka. Could be my favorite of JJP so that plays a huge role in it's placement. The shot design is also amazing and I love the art. The sounds in the game are very weak and the music element could have been played up a bit BUT it does have a lot of cool music scenes (choc rive, omp MB, etc). It's not all sour grapes with sound and the code is better with the updated version. Ultimately, I think Wonka could end up being #3 after more time with it. The powder on the game is JJP's best ever. LE is gorgeous.

WoZ is such a classic that it has to stay in the collection. Game changer for sure, doesn't shoot the best but it's unique and still fun in it's own right. Assets are all there, great code, music is good. Gorgeous too. My ECLE with 2.0 boards is hard to find and will likely stay b/c of it. Pain in the ass to install those 2.0 boards unless you're super talented like our man Derrick!

Hobbit - such a wild card game. Plays like no other one I own. Guests bored out of their mind when they play it. Gorgeous but super open. Here's my view on it.....I love the music, call outs, assets, integration and how the modes differ from one another. Smaug kill is so damn good - how the machine basically stops. Magic moment for sure. It's the role playing pinball of the year and sometimes for that reason, I just don't feel like playing it and committing that much time. That's Hobbit's biggest weakness for me but man does it do so much well and feel very unique in a world of machines that often times feel similar if not the same. It's also one of the heaviest games I've moved. The bottom of the PF is loaded. Pirates is the heaviest btw. What a killer that game is to move! Also, I expect the price on Hobbit to continue rising significantly. It's already moving and the trend should continue as people wake up to what this game offers.

#8501 7 months ago
Quoted from Plungerboy:

I’ve yet to find a POTC that was set up well and everything worked properly.......the mechs look fun but if they don’t work what’s the point? Definitely the bottom of my personal JJP list but I also would never pay 2x or more for any title over the retail, that’s just nonsense.

Mine has worked with no issues. All the toys...

Now the aftermarket chest mod does need to be tweaked ever now and then but that's not standard..... Although so worth it

#8520 7 months ago

really digging the new code - offers more variety which I appreciate. Very good update.

#8524 7 months ago

Shout out to this guy (dinkyflix) for these mod install videos. Found them very helpful. Thanks!

#8538 7 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

Shout out to this guy (dinkyflix) for these mod install videos. Found them very helpful. Thanks!

I might need to get the Wonkavator now too b/c of this.

Btw - try the wet method next time with the side art. So much easier. Save me a bunch of time replacing the smoke stack by unscrewing the two underneath.

This game has some of the best pinball mods. That left ramp factory mod by Mezel with the wheel that turns is one of my favs. Just waiting on some from modcouple/yelobird. His flipper topper and side grass is great.

#8544 7 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

This is good to know. I have ruined so many sets of side blades that ive essentially given up. I often dont have anyone to help me remove the playfield....
I have a set for Wonka that i want to put in, maybe ill give it a try doing the wet method...
For the Factory Mod by Mezel, were you able to get that installed with the tubing pieces and all, with having the side plastic piece staying in place as well? I couldnt figure out how to do it and never installed it.

I ended up removing all of that and blue relaxing it either. With this mod, the ball shouldn't get trapped and I like the cleaner look. I'm testing it now but so far so good

20210429_120326 (resized).jpg
#8548 7 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Well, he was replying to what I said. There is a 3-tiered plastic piece to the left of the "factory" that comes stock. He removed it to get the mod on, which you have to do.
I am not sure what he meant about something getting trapped. Nothing gets trapped on mine.

Yes the three piece plastic piece is in there to block balls from getting trapped in that space, from what I was told. I removed it bc the factory mod would really prevent that from happening anyway. Plus it looks terrible

So far no issues

#8578 7 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Collecting = ready for Kid MB. Completing = multiplier on jackpots in Kid MB. More completed kids = higher jackpot threshold for all the kids in the MB.

This is helpful but I'm confused on how you actually complete a kid. Let's use Mike. I know cyan shots will allow you to qualify. How do you then collect him and also complete him? I believe part of the answer is to hit more cyan shots so maybe that's collect? Or is that complete?

#8581 7 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

All collects are done at the captive ball. Completes vary by kid:
Mike = make cyan shots after qualifying (I think it's 3)
Augustus = make red shots (right ramp then left orbit) after qualifying
Violet = GUM targets after qualifying
Charlie = Complete Fizzy mode successfully
Veruca = Complete Good egg mode successfully
If you haven't seen it yet check out my Kid Multiball deep dive on YouTube!
BTW nice appearance on Zach's show, I enjoyed it.

Awesome! This is helpful. I've been catching-up on your videos so I'll def look for that one.

And thanks (re: TPN podcast) - we were trying to make it entertaining.

#8611 6 months ago

Guys - wasn’t there a mod for the clear in front of the gobstopper? I believe a sticker or something that makes it look like proto? Also - I loved how they originally called kids mb brat mb. Too bad they weren’t allowed to keep it that.

#8622 6 months ago

What is the factory setting for the right outlane on this game? Is it all the way up (harder), middle or further down (easier)? I see diff setups in pics provided. Thanks

#8643 6 months ago

I'm on 1.32 FW. Do I just do the full ISO install of 1.37?

oh and I upgraded to the CE!!!!! Pics to come. That's why I'm on old code now. Need that new code....

#8647 6 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

If you want 1.37, Full Install is the only way for your game.
LTG : )

Thanks. All set. Played a few games and haven’t noticed stuttering but I will look out for it

Well I’ve upgraded to the CE.

Armor is very nice in person. LE sparkle is still gorgeous but I love the red too. Digging the additional speech from the original actress as old grandpa gets on my nerves. Gorgeous looking game

C3798E48-338A-4DEC-AA4D-DB53EBB70EF0 (resized).jpeg

#8656 6 months ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

Consider yourself lucky because once you notice it, you can't unsee it I've seen a couple of other Wonkas with the newer software and they all have the same issue with the animations. As much as I like nearly all of the updates/changes, the dropped frames in the animations drive me nuts. I'm sure not everyone will notice. But I'll live with v1.33 for the time being.
If I'm feeling ambitious, maybe I'll make a side-by-side comparison video showing the difference. Although, I don't want to upset people once they see it the difference and notice it every time.

I hear you man - I hope I don't see it either haha

Interesting story on how I upgraded to the CE. Someone reached out who enjoyed my recent TPN podcast appearance (where he heard me talking about trading up). Really nice guy - made the trade super simple and now I have the CE. Thanks TPN ; )

#8667 6 months ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

You should thank Zach not TPN for giving you a chance to go on his monoplized Flipinout empire advertising channel...

TPN is Zach so it's all the same haha. I actually already pm'd zach as it's a funny story. We have many offline conversations. Good entertainment for the pinball community.

Can't get enough of those modcouple flipper covers btw. So nice. Bought two more.

I also very much enjoy the new CE callouts. Really helps.

#8672 6 months ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

lol! just jabbing at you softy snowflake since i know you can take it.

sure thing Ph - just replying as usual.

I just realized that for JJP - there is no sep code download by model. For example, I download the same code for my CE as others for their standard. Pretty cool how the machine knows....

#8676 6 months ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

All in good fun my man! Personally i enjoyed the NWO podcast and would listen to another one but on different subject then TPN like a top 10 games discussion where you guys can disagree and agree on games you like.

I got you - no worries. Glad you enjoyed it. Who knows, we might mix it up again on a different topic. Went very long last time - needless to say we bring a number of perspectives to the table!

#8684 6 months ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Yikes, that's pretty obvious. Thanks for making this video. I wonder if the results vary by motherboard? I know the model of the motherboard I have in my machine is different than earlier runs.. unfortunately my dad is borrowing my machine right now so I can't see what mine looks like or what version is running etc...

I remember with Dialed In - people were having stuttering but their CPU was older than the newer DIs which had no issues. Could be game by game on this one - CPU related.

3 weeks later
#8829 5 months ago

Ok need to try beta now……

1 month later
#9075 4 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Hey folks.
I don't want to get too deep into this, as Pinside is about the games NOT about me, but I appreciate the many kind words that were sent to me via YouTube, Facebook, etc.
I am fine. I do have thick skin and the dickheads on Pinside who tried to run me off have no effect on me.
I just got beaten down by how depressingly negative the vibe got in here. It was all about playfields playfields playfields playfields for a while.
Nobody gave a shit about the amazing games/rules/shots/sounds/mechs put out into the world, they only cared about the tiny chips in the art.
It was bringing me down and making me negative on pinball so I took some time out. I may continue to do so.
Just wanted to drop in and alleviate any concerns about my well being as I am fine. I got a new car and I'm spending more time on that hobby than pins for a while, and it's frankly been nice.

Just catching up on this thread…..happy to hear you’re back as well. Regardless of crazy this hobby gets, at the end of the day it’s always just pinball. Have fun and enjoy.

2 weeks later
#9273 3 months ago

zaphX

I think it’s time for an updated tutorial stream on 2.0. I always enjoy your approach on explaining what’s new

#9332 3 months ago

Downloaded and played 2.0 last night.....wow. Played for an hour straight and it was midnight before I knew it. Really enjoyed all the new content, especially the video assets, callouts, and the flow with the additional modes just made things so much better. Damn - wonka 2.0 is significantly different than release. I keep on hearing how stranger things code is so much better and really helps that game. I drank the kool aid and played it recently - to me, same ol game which isn't bad but wasn't a big deal to me.

This update? Now this is a real deal update. Good job jjp. Now let's change that end of ball high pitch chime (counting your points) and we're golden. With my CE, the terrible call outs from grandpa are downplayed b/c of the additional girl (VS) call outs so that addresses my other big complaint.

2 weeks later
#9423 88 days ago

any CE owner install the wonka choc fountain topper? I just bought one to replace the CE topper but I forgot there is a LED strip on the tower bracket for the CE. Do you think it's OK for that wonka topper to sit on top of the LED strip? Website says it works for any version but only the CE has that LED strip. I was worried the heat from the LED strip could begin to melt the topper plastic?

#9425 88 days ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Haven’t tried but considering it. The CE topper is crap in my opinion. Highly doubt the LEDs would create much of any heat to be an issue. Love yo see a final pic.

Yeah I agree. I’ll keep it Bc it’s part of the CE package but jjp nailed it with that topper. Super high quality.

I guess I can buy another topper bracket and replace the CE one. Anyone know if they sell those separately?

#9435 85 days ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I have heard that it is super bright, like beyond bright and you can't tone it down. That's why I didn't buy them when they did a fire sale on them awhile back (probably a mistake in hindsight, given how topper insanity took hold after the lockdowns).

so I'm a dummy and totally missed the fact this topper has its own new topper handle. This bad boy will go up soon and I will take pics to show how it looks on the CE.

For those that haven't seen this in person yet, it's basically a brick. Made really well and looks great. Light is bright but it's not an issue.

1 week later
#9468 78 days ago

I have mine mounted on my CE like your second picture

1 month later
#9828 36 days ago

Finally got around to installing the LE topper on my CE. I absolutely love this topper and thinks it looks great. I’m keeping my CE topper and might mix it up but for now, chocolate River ftw

4DB98D09-09EC-42A6-A4D0-EEC552485AD9 (resized).jpeg55B0335E-4253-4797-8827-80FF5389E403 (resized).jpeg

#9833 36 days ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Interesting contrast... one of the most family friendly themes of all-time, next to one of the most family unfriendly themes of all time!

Haha that’s a great point. Never even thought about that but you’re right

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider delt31.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside