IMG_2445 (resized).jpeg
wonka (resized).jpg
ca1d7f7e-8a2b-4029-af32-f724544015c9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5842.jpeg
IMG_5849.jpeg
IMG_5853.jpeg
IMG_7855 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #149 Deep Dive on features and all that is wonka Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Post #150 SDTM video on Wonka - interview with Pat Lawlor and Joe Katz Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #160 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #188 Rules Flowchart Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #248 Features Matrix - CE, LE, SE Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #554 Early Stream of a home owner who received their game Posted by Habermania (4 years ago)

Post #785 Gobstopper subway VUK not ejecting ball fix Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #793 Gobstopper subway VUK fix pics for reference Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #1130 Latest code changelog Posted by LTG (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcyallen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10043 2 years ago

Can anyone report back on any issues they've had with the LE re-run? I'm just digging into Wonka for the first time and I know JJP and Stern had playfield issues for a couple of years. Can I safely assume those issues are ironed out?

And speaking of issues, looking at the key posts it seems there are only two or so issues that are common out of the box. Is this really true? I'm used to seeing a laundry list to address. Rick and Morty's list will make your head spin...

#10045 2 years ago

I saw those two reports in the last 24hrs. I actually read the last few pages looking for info. I was looking for maybe a -little- more insight! Thanks.

1 month later
#10305 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Just not a fan of $350 for lights.

I hear what you're saying. I think most mods for pinball are a bad value. Having said that, Pinstadiums are one of the few things that are worth it to me. I know you didn't want to hear that, so I'll just end with this: If you haven't seen them live, you owe it to yourself to do that and then decide. If you have seen them, great, you know how much they're worth to you.

#10307 2 years ago

Alright, I've played about 30 games on my new LE (my first JJP!), and I have some questions for you all before I contact JJP.
-My machine moves a lot, I think due to the felt leg protectors causing extra space. I get a lot of tilts because of this. Are people just tightening the leg bolts a lot more, or what? I'm getting tilt warnings on every game, and rarely tilt on my other pins. I don't want to overtighten the bolts either.
-During a few features the machine buzzes a lot, especially at the beginning of the Elevator feature. I'm curious what mechanism is causing this. Is it a shaker, or something else in the machine? It feels pretty cool, but a little disconcerting as I'd swear something was wrong if it weren't so controlled.
-My kickback isn't syncing well with the ball, and only works half the time (and rarely correctly). I figured the machine might learn over time, but it has not improved. Should I start tinkering with the "do not tinker" coil settings section?
-I get balls stuck on the innermost left inlane between the rubbers. I can't think of any adjustment to make, and the rubbers haven't broken in enough to let a slow ball go through. If I give it a good shake it'll come loose, but clearly it's not right.
-Check your balls! One of my was badly rusted out of the box. Thankfully I noticed quickly.

This is an interesting pin. At first it was almost overwhelming because it's not super clear what to do. Most every other pin I've owned I could quickly figure out the gist of it. This one will take some time!

#10310 2 years ago
Quoted from flipperstick:

2. By "buzzes" is it audible? OR, are you feeling the shaking from the shaker motor?

Audible at first (and maybe almost buzzy feeling), then you can feel it. I assume it's the shaker, but it doesn't feel anything like any shaker I've ever experienced in any machine. I'm just curious if JJP has some sort of other special mechanism under there.

Quoted from gorditas:

For the inlanes, if you have the extra posts installed,

No extra posts. Just the stock rubbers pinching (see post). I've had this happen before on another pin but it quickly "broke in" and was free. And it's not catching on the rollover.

Quoted from gorditas:

For the kickback, check to see how the rollover is bent.

Rollover looks perfect, just triggering erratically. I'll try changing the settings. Just wanted to know if anyone else had that issue.

Quoted from flipperstick:

Change the leg protectors to the metal ones from Pinball Life.

Metal leg protectors sound horrible! I'm sure they work great, but metal -seems- like the last thing I'd want in there. And very opposite of the felt set it came with. But again, I'm sure they'd be fine.

IMG_20220105_122834364 (resized).jpgIMG_20220105_122834364 (resized).jpg
#10323 2 years ago
Quoted from Kenswift:

I have the kickback issue, it either misses it all together or it just lobs it up, maybe to a gum target at its highest. Doesn’t really bother me and I read of a lot of people who have the same issue. If there’s a fix I would be curious.

Changing the delay in the coil settings did not work. Taking the apron off and correcting the cockeyed coil did. Hard to see in action, but pretty obvious like this!

As for the ball sticking in the inlane, I stretched the sling rubber out and that seems to have done the trick.

IMG_20220105_201310247 (resized).jpgIMG_20220105_201310247 (resized).jpg
#10355 2 years ago

Update on the ball getting stuck on the left inlane: Per JJP the factory rubber that's on the post shouldn't be there for just this reason. Someone at the factory got overzealous with the rubber installation.

Left Inlane Post (resized).jpgLeft Inlane Post (resized).jpg
#10372 2 years ago
Quoted from Skipnatty:

This is not an issue from the factory, this is due to the owner installing the post on the left outlane. By default, that post is not installed and the rubber on the inlane post is properly installed.

I don't think you understand the problem. The left OUTlane post has nothing to do with it and is not installed. There -is- a post, permanently installed, between the INlanes, that per JJP: "That post to the left" (of the stuck ball) "is not supposed to have a rubber on it. It was deleted by engineering for that reason. Please take it off and thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will alert production."

#10374 2 years ago

TLDR: Per Jersey Jack the left inlane post should not have a rubber.

Quoted from Skipnatty:

I understand perfectly as I've owned the game since release, though I appreciate your condescension. Look at your picture. There's a post between the left outlane and the left-most inlane. That is not installed from the factory. When that post is installed, the rubber on the post between the two left inlanes needs to be removed to avoid ball traps due to the narrowing of the gap.
If you have the factory post configuration (no left outlane post), the rubber on the post between the inlanes should be of no concern. Regardless, i think the game plays with no inlane and outlane rubbers and no post on the far left.

If someone tells me they don't think I understand the problem, I try to see if they're right and not get defensive. So for a final time, let's try to clear things up:
-The picture with the stuck ball and no hand drawn line is my machine. No outlane post. Stuck ball.
-The picture with no ball and the hand drawn line is from JJP. My machine shipped with the inlane rubber. JJP says it shouldn't have.

Quoted from Skipnatty:

This is not an issue from the factory, this is due to the owner installing the post on the left outlane. By default, that post is not installed and the rubber on the inlane post is properly installed.

Shipping with an inlane rubber in place WAS an issue from the factory, and it is not "properly installed" as it should not have been installed at all per JJP.

Quoted from Skipnatty:

If you have the factory post configuration (no left outlane post), the rubber on the post between the inlanes should be of no concern.

This is incorrect, per JJP. My original problem illustrates that.

TL:DR

If there's anything I've stated above that you think is factually wrong, just let me know the exact quote so I can either correct myself or clarify. I have no interest in telling people they're wrong, but I do have a strong interest in making sure the right information is out there for anyone else who has this issue. One of the things I like about this Wonka thread is I've seen practically no sarcasm or snarkiness so far. I'd like to keep it that way.

IMG_20220105_122834364 (resized).jpgIMG_20220105_122834364 (resized).jpgLeft Inlane Post (resized).jpgLeft Inlane Post (resized).jpg
#10377 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

My game shipped without the outlane post and I thought it was a miss from the factory, good to know.
That said, the post base is visible (no plastic cap) which is why it caught my eye. Where can you get the caps?

Mine had the bottom plastic cap installed, and the other was in the bag with the post. I installed the second cap so both holes are plugged, but now the ball occasionally hits the top post cap and it changes the trajectory of the ball. I hate to think it might accelerate any playfield wear if the hole isn't plugged, but I also hate the idea of the ball occasionally bumping off the plastic cap. I'm not sure where you can buy them standalone. If I knew it wasn't going to harm the playfield I'd take the top cap back off.

#10383 2 years ago
Quoted from ktcoady12:

Hi All- I want a Wonka ! Does anyone know if the SE's are out of production forever? I see new LE's are $11000 ( a little out of my budget for now)
THank you

I was shocked to see this a week or so ago. It's not an unreasonable price today for an new SE!
https://www.coinoppartsetc.com/product/games-pinball-machines-pinball-machines-new/jjp-willy-wonka-the-chocolate-factory-standard-0

#10437 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I won't.
I don't want people to think I'm still with them.
I was low cost before, no reason to help for free. I wasn't wanted.
LTG : )

Oh, LTG, you are DEFINITELY wanted by 99.99% of the people you interact with. Just try to forget that .01%, even if they sting the most!

#10455 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It shipped with one on my Wonka SE and CE both. And it's on page C-120 in the Wonka manual.

Quoted from gorditas:

It had nothing to do with the rubber: the lower ball couldn't roll because of the upper one sitting on it. They came down the wireform together. There is nothing wrong with the game, it wasn't a complaint or cry for help. It was a funny coincidence, that's all.

Quoted from Rager170:

I dont know why people say that the rubber shoudnt be there. I feel most dont have a problem with it...

Yes, it was originally designed to have that rubber. Then JJP realized it was causing issues (on some pins) so they stopped installing them at the factory. If yours works, great. But per a recent conversation with JJP they're not installing that rubber anymore. Heck, if your works you can consider it your own special "Factory Mod"

#10456 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Perhaps you misunderstood what happened and or my reason ?
LTG : )

Well...(scratches head)...last I knew you were let go from your job with JJP. In reference to that you said above "I wasn't wanted.". All I was doing was giving you reassurance that while maybe someone "over there" doesn't want you, the rest of us all do.

So, you're 99.99% beloved. Does that sound about right?

#10459 2 years ago
Quoted from Mjesposi:

So not to overkill this topic, but if you do install the bumper included from JJP, is it better to put in the open hole or the one with the black filler in it?

(To be clear, the rubber that JJP says shouldn't be there is the little rubber between the inlanes.) As for the post between the left outlane and inlane, you can put it in either hole. The top position gives the ball less space to drain and therefore makes it a bit easier than the bottom position (or no post at all). But it's personal preference. I like my games harder, but I'm very tempted to put the post in the bottom hole (it's absent now) as I find it near impossible to nudge the ball out of that area once it's there.

#10478 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

anyone have any input on the playfield magnets? Mine hardly do anything and wasnt sure if there is a way to test/adjust?

Go into the coil test and roll the ball around on the playfield. If memory serves me right they even show you on the screen in the test where the magnets are. The underplayfield magnets are small, so it's not like Kid Multiball or anything.

#10492 2 years ago
Quoted from doc5md:

The left in ramp post rubber seems to be just a hair too big as the ball will stick there once in a while if it’s too slow.

Remove the rubber. JJP says it shouldn't be there, but some are still shipping with it.

#10495 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Hard disagree. That rubber is critical to gameplay! Coupled with an up nudge it gets the ball out of that trouble zone.
It's there for a reason.

It's hard to consider it critical to gameplay when you have to stop and shake the machine to free the ball. I'd LOVE it if the rubber functioned correctly and wasn't a problem. But when JJP says "That post to the left" (the inlane post in question) "is not supposed to have a rubber on it. It was deleted by engineering for that reason." and it's getting hung up on multiple machines (including mine, see several recent posts), I'd agree with JJP and remove it. But if yours is working great, fantastic. In fact, I kinda want the cheater post in too because of the increased ability to nudge with it.

#10496 2 years ago

(duplicate created when trying to fix typo)

#10498 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

Put on alternate rubber, and have both. Post caps, with the closed end cut off and facing down work perfectly. [quoted image]

I have no experience with post caps. I assume they come in one size and look like this? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/38-6543

It is mildly irritating that JJP doesn't do something like this vs just removing the rubber.

#10517 2 years ago

Any advice on getting the black plug filling in the cheater post hole back out of the playfield? I've tried pushing firmly from below with a screwdriver while prying on top with plastic putty knife. It's not budging. I KNEW the moment I snapped it in place it was premature installing it. And I'm very hesitant to use a metal tool to grab it from above when it's so close to the playfield.

#10530 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Can you tap a drill bit against it to pop it out?

Normally, yes. Mine? No.

Update: My black plastic plug is out, and the post is in. After several contacts with JJP we decided I needed to gently drill it out from below. I was not thrilled, and it was nerve racking, but it worked out in the end. My problem was nothing was working. I tried pressing, jiggling, and hammering the little plastic plug from below using multiple small objects but it wouldn't budge more than a hair. It appears the plastic got caught up in the metal threads and just decided to hang on for dear life.

On a side note so far JJP has been very good for customer service. I've dealt with Stern and CGC, and have really had nothing but great experiences with all of them other than some communication hiccups.

#10566 2 years ago

Two questions: Is there a setting available to do a handsfree plunge? My wife is disabled and can't pull back the plunger. This is the first modern machine that I'm not seeing an option to activate via flippers. Also, I tried setting up the bluetooth last night but it said the BT dongle wasn't found. I assume the machine doesn't come with it? I would have assumed this to begin with, but when I ordered and went to install the wifi adapter...it already had one! (I have a LE re-run).

#10573 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Absolutely.
Here is the page from the manual that goes over the Flipper Auto-Launch options in the System Settings Menu under the General heading
[quoted image]

Perfect, thanks. I've reviewed the entire manual twice and couldn't find it. I even recently changed a setting right above the one you mentioned!

#10595 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I found that when the magnets are active, the flippers are weak.

I wonder if they feel weak because the magnets are possibly slowing the balls down? You're screaming "Why can't I make that ramp?" while the magnets gleefully snicker down below...

#10601 2 years ago

I'm curious: What do you all think of the Willie Wonka movie? I generally don't care much about the themes for my pins (I have zero interest in soccer but love my World Cup Soccer), but I know the Wonka theme definitely pulls me in. It's like playing a giant adult Fisher Price toy on steroids.

Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a Top 3 movie for me. You?

(and if you have to ask which Wonka movie I'm referring to, we can't be friends)

#10624 2 years ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

So apparently there are only a few possible ways to get a JJP into my gameroom because the main entryway is 28”. I can either remove the backbox, or loosen and twist
Have avoided doing either of these things and only have Sterns (27.75”), but I’m really interested in Wonka
Short of buying a newer wider door, how difficult is it to remove or twist the backbox

Ok, I know this sounds like sickness, but I'd consider widening the door. I know it's not cheap or easy, but unless this is your last pin (HAHAHA!!!) you're risking scraping/damaging a pin every time you're squeezing it in there.

#10662 2 years ago
Quoted from inverted1:

So I was searching for some Wonka artwork and ran across news of a Wonka prequel. Guess I missed this, saw some posts about it from as far back as last May. The release date is March of next year. My expectations for this are low, but thought I would mention it.

Yeah, I'm going to watch it trying to forget the original movie. The Wonka remake with Johnny Depp wasn't a bad movie, if you blanked out your memories of the original. It's hard to build off a fantastic movie with a cult following 50 years later.

#10671 2 years ago
Quoted from Rjbdmdmd:

So I have a new 2022 run Wonka LE in box and the opportunity to get a CE. Did the majority of Wonka CE have playfield issues. Any feedback on the 2022 playfields. I have a GNR CE which I had to place PETG washers. Thanks in advance.

I have a November 2021 build with no playfield issues. I see there are washers in place from the factory, so I assume that helps.

#10688 2 years ago
Quoted from prentice:

I don’t want to misrepresent what I’ve got when I list them for sale someday, and I like being aware of potential maintenance issues.

I hear you. I had a BK SOR and I didn't see the pooling and chipping until I was taking pics for the buyer. I was pissed! Not only did the person I bought it from not mention it (we swapped at a midway point and I didn't see the playfield personally), but I told -my- buyer the playfield had no issues. When he pointed out something didn't look right in the pics, I took a ton more pics to show him the newfound damage. We worked on a new price, and away it went. I would have been mortified if he travelled six hours one way to find the pin had playfield damage!

#10689 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Fixed that for you.

I'd be curious if anyone has removed a washer and found pooling underneath. I'd guess those washers get put on and -prevent- the pooling. But I guess we won't know unless someone pulls theirs off and finds pooling. smalltownguy2 I nominate you to get back to us licketysplit with the results!

1 week later
#10724 2 years ago
Quoted from Meri-cah:

Just set up my new build Wonka LE. Built 12/2021.
Question….. my sound in very very tinny. Very high pitch. No bass and very uncomfortable to listen to. Couldn’t find anywhere in the settings for sounds control. I have WoZ and DI along with several other machines and none sound this terrible.
Does Wonka just have horrible audio or anyone think there’s a problem? All speakers are working, just very high treble in all including the sub

I'm finding the sound to be fine compared to a Stern but a little underwhelming when compared to Dialed In. No bass, and while not "tinny" it doesn't sound very full either. To have a premium sound system and not have it sound premium is a little disappointing.

#10726 2 years ago

Holy rubbers! 600 games in, and they're starting to shred. I've never seen rubbers wear out nearly this fast!

Quoted from seenev:

If they clearly defined all the rules, it would be easier to know when things don't work as intended. For now, we're all just scratching our heads debating what a significant part of the game is supposed to do.

I emailed JJP recently about the LEDs leading from the top right flipper to the camera not all lighting at the start. Perhaps a board problem? They had to check with the programmers, and THEY said they're supposed to do that as they indicate the progress of that ramp. Like you said, it would be nice to have a guide to a $9-14k product that explained what did what. Instead JJP supplies a one page infographic! Even the multiball add-a-ball isn't accurately documented anywhere. "Hitting the Wonka Tower" works...sometimes. When? Well, we can't give away ALL the secrets...

#10731 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

When it's lit green. This happens once per multiball AFAIK.

That's just it. I haven't seen this info in any walkthrough, let alone anything from JJP. AFAIK should be "this is how it is", but we're generally not being told that. Of course, I might have figured out the green requirement faster if I wasn't color blind!

Quoted from seenev:

I wonder how they develop the software for these games. Clearly there must be a lot of planning to coordinate all of the visuals and playfield components and rules and etc...

I find it's sad that there are developers that put in the effort to program something like "Hitting the Wonka tower gives you an add-a-ball, but only if it's green" and then that info is never conveyed to the end user. My wife guessed that it's intentional so the players can have the adventure of figuring it out as they go, but I'd also like the option of a complete walkthrough. Maybe I'm making something out of nothing. Even my car manual says "Hold this button down, and this special thing happens"...even though no one (but me) reads it.

#10765 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I read and hear so much about the pops being brutal in this game and going SDTM. Am I the only one that doesn’t experience that? I feel like my game is magical haha.

Mine never went SDTM from the pops until after a few hundred games. It's interesting how the game changed after it broke in. The upper left flipper shot changed, the pops changed, a lot of small things "fell into place" it seems. Not big changes, but noticeable differences.

#10801 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

Speaking of photos: what determines whether the photo for a high score comes from mid- game or snapped after finishing a game? I've had it do both.

I find it takes a picture right as you press the Start button, and uses that photo -if- it's good. If it's not, it relies on the previous picture. Try ducking right before you push Start and you'll see it'll ignore that picture.

#10818 2 years ago
Quoted from DoCPooF:

Joined to club today. It's not my first pin, but it is my first JJP pin [quoted image]

Take note of the premium differences! It sounds cheesy, but it's true. I've had NIB Sterns and a CGC and none had such attention to details as my NIB Wonka. Even the packing was better. Of course, as my wife reminded me yesterday: "For the price of a good car, it should be"

#10839 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Interesting. I looked at automated recently and it was $11,000. They're one of the worst offenders when it comes to price gouging.

They offer NIB pins that you're not going to find anywhere else. You can call it price gouging if you want, but they're giving you an option. You can either take it or leave it, but it's something you didn't have before: an option.

Quoted from Vermont:

I am considering obtaining a NIB WW LE. My only experience with having my own pin is a Stern TMNT Premium. It seems there is much less interest in WW than there should be based on it being a top twenty ranked pin. I'm curious why this might be. Is it a JJP vs Stern thing? Something else?
It's a big chunk of money (they all are these days) so I'm curious to better understand the dynamics on this game before I jump in. I figure this is the right crowd to ask. (And I might be joining y'all soon!)

If you'd just made this post a week ago I would have invited you over to play mine! It's a very different game from TMNT. In fact, it's what helped me decide it's time to move on from TMNT. Very fun game, waaay deeper than Turtles, and not nearly as frustrating/brutal.

#10857 2 years ago

Apparently my Wonka has a screw manufacturing plant under the glass. I've found a total of four screws rolling down the playfield. I found where two go (plastic camera mount) but I cannot see where the other two came from. Are there any "hot spots" where screws are known to come out? I've never had this many screws fall out after only a few hundred plays. I know eventually I'll see the holes, but I'm reluctant to play it with two screws missing.

#10861 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

BTW I was a beta tester on 2.0, enter candy code 102307!

I'll be the one to ask: What does "enter candy code 102307" mean? And it's awesome that you were a beta tester, I think I could do that sort of thing well. I think.

#10865 2 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

I had some loose screws. Same deal, I didn’t know where from. It bothered me a lot so one day I just spent a long time looking all over. It helped to recognize the exact type of screw then realize what type of thing they were used for in general on the playfield. In my case They were falling out from behind the Wonkavator physical lock assembly - Four screws in the back right on top holding the solenoid that controls the lock plunger. I also had one screw fall out from under the smokestack causing the smokestack to rotate to the right.

It's funny you say that, as my Wonkavator keeps releasing the ball once or twice immediately after locking it. When did that start? The moment the last screw appeared. I finally connected the dots last night but haven't had a chance to look back there yet.

#10866 2 years ago

Awesome, thanks! It's funny how someone commented that it was maybe paying homage to Mortal Kombat. The fonts are very similar (just look at the letter "a"). And the fact they're Candy (K)odes! I immediately saw the resemblance. Now I need to go code combing...

1 week later
#10939 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

On the left you can have either the inlane or outlane post, balls will get stuck if you have both.

I think this is what you meant, but to be clear: you can have both posts but not both rubbers unless you cut and modify the inlane rubber.

1 week later
#11000 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Has anyone ever had two balls to into the gobble hole during multiball and had the system fail to find them? I was in the middle of a game and had to turn it off because the ball finder mode hit pretty much every coil except the return VUK.

I had three balls (if I remember right) stuck in there once. I gave it a few minutes, and it self cleared. It does a quick spin, and then later a more thorough spin to get them out.

#11043 2 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

I’m not sure if everyone has a tendency to be a fair bit better at certain playfield layouts but I cannot get the hang of my stern JP. It’s been two years owning it and have improved but man I struggle to be consistent on it.

I haven't played an Elwin layout that "clicked" with me, but every Borg and Steve Ritchie game clicks almost immediately. And while I love Pat Lawlor, his layouts take some time for me to get into. Getting Wonka was a leap for me, as I hated the game the first time I played it but realized the more I played the more I liked it.

#11053 2 years ago
Quoted from c818919taylor:

Should this ball have cleared after the last ball drained?
[quoted image]

No, it only clears when you power cycle the machine unless you change the settings.

#11054 2 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Here are a couple pictures. Will try getting a good video this weekend along with pictures from under the playfield.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Well, I love Wonka, love Pinstadiums, and know that pics don't always come out right, so....I really don't like how that looks! I'm hoping it's just not photographing well. The biggest reason I haven't added Pinstadiums to Wonka is that I'm afraid it'll wash out the playfield if I do anything other than a dim white setting. And I don't want to spend $300 to just add dim white light. I look forward to the video, perhaps with them on and off for an A/B comparison?

#11112 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I bet your diverter flag cam loose and fell off. When it does, it will lie flat in the upper orbit and your ball can roll over it.
Simple to fix. You can remove the coil/post from under the playfield. Screw the flag back on, and then re-insert it.
I had the same exact issue as you describe (balls going into Wonkavator and getting instantly released) and also found two loose screws. this was the prob! Balls that weren’t traveling fast enough would naturally fall into the Wonkavator… the machine would kick them up and instantly recognize it as an error and release them.
I put some blue loctite on the screws before reassembly. Haven’t had an issue since
[quoted image][quoted image]

For anyone having Wonkavator issues: All four screws holding the coil that retracts the large white release pin were loose/missing. I don't know why that would make it release balls at the wrong time, but after re-securing the coil it's working 100%. Sometimes to diagnose problems you gotta just put your hands on things and try wiggling them!

#11130 2 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Oompah oompah loopidy doo. Have I got a creamer just for you.
[quoted image]

I'm sure you can incorporate that into a playfield mod. Because that's what's cool now!

#11156 2 years ago
Quoted from rob3:

Just got my machine, 2019. 3 of the 4 mini spotlights are out. Is this a typical part that goes bad and is JJP the only option short of replacing the led bulbs myself?

It would be strange to have 3 led bulbs defective. It could be wiring, or a board, or they're just not seated properly. Either way I'd do some quick troubleshooting and contact JJP. On principle I struggle with fixing out of pocket a NIB $11k pin myself. The fact that Green Machine had the same issue makes me think it's not the LED themselves.

1 week later
#11203 2 years ago

Anyone have any issues with leaving the black plastic cheater post plugs out and leaving the hole exposed? While I hate seeing the ball hit the plastic and change trajectory, I also don't want an exposed hole on the playfield especially if it could cause a problem. Which I don't think it would, because I don't think the ball would ever touch the actual hole.

#11214 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I heard removing the cheater post plug will cause a stuck ball.

I should have been more specific. I have the post installed on the bottom post hole, and am considering leaving the TOP hole open. If they were both open I can imagine the ball having enough clearance around it to get stuck in the top hole. But I can't imagine having just the top hole exposed would cause a stuck ball in any way, as the ball should (just barely) clear the top hole when it's touching that post. Last time it was a bear removing that plug, so before I do it I'd like to be more sure.

#11218 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I feel like when you have the post in the bottom position, the ball isnt able to even hit the black plug. So why remove?

Because the ball -does- hit the black plug. Which seems like a design flaw of sorts. Putting unintended obstacles in the ball's path seems like a bad idea.

#11236 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Dialed in is their best shooter, I just really hate the theme.

I think that's the title of the the Dialed In Owner's Forum.

#11268 2 years ago
Quoted from rob3:

Wow. No wonder the market is crazy based on the questions above - always great to see new folks joining the hobby tho.

Ha, I was thinking the same thing! When someone just starts dipping their toes into a hobby with a $10k(!) purchase it's very telling where the economy is right now - HOT. But as you also said, the more the merrier so welcome everyone!

#11273 2 years ago
Quoted from doc5md:

I dislike the auto-launch as it shoots it into the pop bumpers which means there is a chance of SDTM when it exits.

A quick note on this: When I first got my Wonka I never had this problem. Then it started creeping in. My solution? I just rotated the rubber just to the lower left of the pops. That's it. Now it's SDTM maybe 5% of the time. The rubber started to wear a tiny bit which made just enough of a difference to change the ball exit path. As a machine breaks in it's amazing how many paths/shots like this change.

1 week later
#11306 2 years ago

For anyone who has the black plastic plug in the top cheater hole - try removing it. I can't believe how much it was forcing the ball into the outlane with it in. In hindsight it was like a magnet was pulling the balls to the left and out. Now they move naturally.

Quoted from gorditas:

I'll give this a try. I tried the suggestion of being out of view when hitting the start button, to no avail. There is some observable logic to this suggestion, as I've had the machine take photos of someone who walks up beside me.

I -think- I understand your issue. The pin takes your pic earlier in the game as a backup, and if it doesn't get a clear shot when you hit END it'll use that previous pic. And, it uses the best face in the camera frame available, so if your friend is clearer and more "in frame", they may get the limelight. My wife uses a wheelchair and if I'm watching too close at picture time it'll show my face instead of hers. She's real impressed with that

#11323 2 years ago
Quoted from kempsuk:

My WW used to come out of the Pops and go SDTM

Something I haven't seen mentioned here is the pop sensitivity adjustment. NIB mine were not very sensitive. I tightened up all the switch gaps a LOT and (predictably) it was then -too- sensitive. Backed them off a little, and now they're perfect. AND, it helped with the STDM problem.

#11353 2 years ago
Quoted from kempsuk:

So, how has the "frequent sdtm drains out of the pops" been fixed on the latest / last runs of WW??

Quoted from jackd104:

glances the rubber (circled in pic - you can even see the black dust where it hits)

What's worked for me was to adjust that rubber a little bit. Mine wore down a bit and slightly adjusted the exit path of the ball to drain a bit more often. I rotated that rubber to a "fresh facing" and it's better. Someone mentioned adding a second rubber, but I haven't tried that yet.

#11359 2 years ago

For giggles, can anyone tell me what this plug goes to? I figured the topper, but if it were for a topper I'd think the plug would be protruding from the cabinet not the head.

AND

Does anyone have any advice for quieting the backglass rattle? I tried a couple small pieces of electrical tape but it's still got slack. I could just keep adding, but there should be a cleaner way to fix it. Wonkavator Multiball drives it wild.

IMG_20220422_145857 (resized).jpgIMG_20220422_145857 (resized).jpg

#11367 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Weatherstripping

Duh. Thanks. I never thought of that, probably because I've never touched weatherstripping. One more tool for the pinball toolbox...

#11391 1 year ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

8. Shots through the Augustus spinner feel clunky. Sometimes it rejects. Sometimes it clunks into the saucer. Sometimes it clunks back through the TV lane, and rarely it rolls cleanly over to the Wonkavator. I feel like maybe the lane guide that ends just above the right upper flipper might be the culprit, but that's another thing that's hard to get to and manhandle.

I feel like that shot keeps changing on me. Sometimes I have to take the shot early, sometimes late. When I turn on the machine each day it feels a bit different, which makes minimal sense. Also, if you just got it try taking the shot "too early" and "too late". Initially I had to hit the flipper at the absolute earliest moment to make it cleanly.

2 weeks later
#11444 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

but I just bought six of them. I've replaced it once in 12000 plays.

I cracked up when I read this. It's taken me years to get out of the "overprepping" habit. Personally, I buy only three years worth of parts instead of twelve

Quoted from Enron64:

I have 300 plays and it looks pretty beat up already.

Is it at the correct height? It seems weird to have it beat up/chipped this early. Care to share a pic for us to scrutinize and share unsolicited feedback? Because that's the best kind of feedback, right?

1 week later
#11486 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

What is the secret to decent scores on this game? I can’t seem to get over the 4 million mark

"Hey look, I got a multiball! Wait, I'm not even done with this multiball and I got another multiball! HOLY CRAP, ANOTHER MULTIBALL! ALL AT ONCE! HAHA I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!!"

I don't know if this will give you lots of points, but it sure is fun. Especially during Wonkatania Mania.

#11498 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

I've gotten it by accident a few times when I've screwed up the super skill shot.

I think that's the genius of design - make it eventually discoverable by accident. Not up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-start

#11510 1 year ago

So the last hundred games or so I'm finding that the ball rarely locks after going into the left Wonkavision loop to start the Oompa Loompa feature. It locks fine for the Wonkavator. I ran the gate test and watched the gate over and over, everything looks tight and it seems to be opening and closing fully. Any suggestions?

ps - I love the fact that "Oompa" and "Loompa" aren't trying to autocorrect as I type them, haha.

#11535 1 year ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

Is there any way to turn off Oompa Loompa Odyssey? I checked the settings and couldn't find anything. Whenever I get this mode I fall asleep for a few mins because it has a super long ball save and gives no points, and you can't complete anything else during it. I hope one day they updated it to allow scoring of other elements in it.

If you actually hit the shots, there are points to be had!

Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Inside of the slot machine topper I purchased. This could be difficult to get working!
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You're overthinking this. Slot machines have quarter slots. Pinball machines have quarter slots. Just plug the wiring harness into the quarter slot wiring harness. Seems easy to me.

Kidding aside, that's going to be a BRIGHT topper. Think of how bright the lights are in a casino. I'd be interested in seeing seeing it set up for the first time!

#11540 1 year ago

For anyone who read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and are interested in reading the sequel Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, I just finished it and will save you some time: Don't. Or, at least don't eagerly await the followup pin!

Was anyone else as disappointed with it as I was?

2 weeks later
#11581 1 year ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

I’m revisiting the possibility of getting a Wonka. My main hesitation is the music. Does it get to you hearing that theme song over and over or is it ok? Can it be changed? I sold Munsters because of this…

I never tire of the music, but I also think it's truly magical so I may be an outlier. And I don't use the word "magical" very often or lightly.

Once you own a TMNT and hear that music for a few months...eventually even in your dreams...Wonka will be no problem.

"...teenage mutant ninja turtles...
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES!
(seemingly screaming now) HEROES IN A HALFSHELL! TUUURRRTLE POOOWERRRRR!!!!"

#11589 1 year ago

Two points:
1) Is anyone else color blind and having a hard time identifying shots, especially during features? I'm red/green color blind, and if I'm not looking at the screens I have near zero chance of completing anything intentionally. In fact, today was the first day I got the Wonkavator Golden Ticket. And that was after 800 games!

2) (Tiny spoiler: I'm about to share how I felt about Pure Imagination and how long I played it for! But no other details) I got to Pure Imagination today for the first time and destroyed my high score. I have to say, I was a little disappointed. Maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe I couldn't pay attention to what was happening because I was so jacked up on the Wonkadrenaline but it ended waaaay too quickly. For a thirty minute game (my longest by far) it was over in maybe 60-90 seconds? Either way, now I have to go back and re-achieve it and try to pay more attention...and last longer!

#11601 1 year ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

I wonder if there is a way to increase the effect on the ball. I would love to see more magnet action in the middle of the playfield.

(after seeing more "magnet action" and the drains that follow "F#@K THIS $H!T!!!"

1 week later
#11677 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

Also it universally seems quite tough to hit that captive ball sufficiently.

Is the ball not rolling high enough to hit the switch, or not hitting the switch hard enough? I adjusted that switch to hair trigger - if the ball rolls up and just gently kisses it, it'll register.

#11694 1 year ago
Quoted from adol75:

I'm used to the stingy scoring of WOZ and DI, how is a 2 million score at Wonka ?
Is that normal or do I start believing in my amazing chocolate bar skills ?

I'm 800 games in and I average around 5m a game. A bad game is under 1m. But in the end, it doesn't matter, because you can have a blast playing this game and end with..."who cares" number of points!

Quoted from zh2oson:

I'd love to add a Gobstopper shooter rod and have read through numerous comments about the various options - including some who've had issues with different models.
What's the Cliffs Notes version on which one I should buy?[quoted image]

I'd put your hands on one before you buy it if possible. I tried one at Pintastic this weekend and HATED it. It was too small for me. I've played another one elsewhere which was 3x bigger and much better. But your preferences may vary.

#11713 1 year ago
Quoted from adol75:

I still haven't managed to do the super lock shot, I aim for the spinner but the ball always bumps against the rail, is it notoriously difficult or am I terrible at it ?

What worked for me was to hit the ball at the absolute earliest moment you think you could. It might not be intuitive at first, but do it. Then adjust from there. Now I make it 95% of the time.

#11753 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Because it looks cool to smack the captive ball with yours and see all the kinetic energy drain out.

I especially like the magnet that tugs the ball just a little bit at that moment. It really messes with your sense of what the ball's motion should be.

(I just realized there may be no magnet there and that it's all in my head. If so, don't ruin the illusion for me )

#11766 1 year ago
Quoted from phill2cb:

i just installed the Lermods Translight and undercabinet lighting. I like it a lot, it makes the colors in the Translight pop a lot more. The only issue I had was the instructions they gave said to go clockwise but their picture in the instructions was the other way so I did it exactly like the picture which is I think the right way based on the wire lengths in between gaps. If you can’t tell in my pics, I started left to right under the original strip, looped back under it, and then went counter clockwise around the monitor. Super easy install otherwise. Also this is cool white.
[quoted image]

Is it me, or does all that extra lighting negate the anti-glare glass quite a bit? I understand the playfield lighting appears off, but that first pic is...uh, not my cup of tea.

#11842 1 year ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

Good question. I believe it is a timing issue because it will fire occasionally.

To be specific: If it's FIRING occasionally, that's likely a switch issue. If it's always firing but not doing the job of saving the ball, that's likely a coil/timing issue. Like others have said, IF that's the case take the apron off and look. Mine was pretty crooked, but I couldn't tell when playing/testing with the apron on. If the ball is rolling over the switch and occasionally nothing happens, check/adjust your switch.

#11854 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

So seems like everyday I am stuck here!!!
Vader evader!!! Need me some pure imagination! ASAP![quoted image]

After 900 games, the only time I got that fifth ticket was when I reached Pure Imagination. Never before, and not since. Good luck!\

#11879 1 year ago

I've always felt Wonka's flippers were juuuuust strong enough to make the shots. I (and apparently everyone) feel like a lot of JJP games are like this. So just out of curiosity I bumped up the flipper power by two points.

Just two points.

Holy crap.

I'm not exaggerating when I say it feels like a different game. It shoots sooo much better. I'm kicking myself in the butt for not toying with it earlier. If you haven't already, I urge you to at least try it. Bravely move past the "Don't touch these coil settings or your machine will burst into flames" warning. It's like a Wonka Cheat Code. But with no cheating.

#11938 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

However, I have not had a 30 minute game to see how they flippers hold up.

I have. I've played some pretty long games on most of my pins, and I've never experienced flipper fade. I always scratch my head when I hear about people experiencing this, like when someone says "I'm too full for ice cream". I just can't relate.

3 weeks later
#12092 1 year ago

For all you Wonka owners here, I have to put a plug in for Deadpool.

waitwhat?

I've put about 1k games on my Wonka and love it, but there's always a LOT going on. If I'm not paying attention, it can be a fun casual game but there still always feels like there's a million goals, all at once. I picked up a DP recently and it's a refreshing change. It feels very old school in that "hit the flashing light" sort of way. I can't think of two modern pins that I love that are so different. So for what it's worth, if you're looking for some variety to compliment your Wonka, it's a great option.

1 week later
#12183 1 year ago

Does anyone have any insight to the ball getting kicked back out when you shoot the Oompa Loompa feature? It's the left shot under the Wonkavision. The ball goes in, and more often than not slowly rolls back out again. The flag appears to be working properly in test mode, it's not dragging, moves freely by hand and I have videos and pics if it's helpful. JJP was intermittent and is now silent about what the problem is. Their tech support has been pretty good so far, but now I'm starting to see some "slippage".

#12190 1 year ago
Quoted from phill2cb:

Does anyone know what the four rectangle lights leading up to the camera ramp signify? I’ve seen it do different light combos like 1 red and the other 3 off, 1 red 2 off and then 1 green, etc. No idea what it means though.

JJP assured me they indicate progress in the game.

Yep, that's it. Good day sir.

#12218 1 year ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

Truly zero negativity towards anyone on the pop bumper gate thing and it is a cool mechanical idea, but that alters the play too much for my cup of tea. Doesn't the code already account for this and sometimes return the ball if it it drains down the middle after hitting a pop bumper?

No "pop bumper exit" save, just a timed ball save which might coincide with it. I agree it changes the intended randomness too much for me, but then again maybe I'd love it.

1 week later
#12255 1 year ago
Quoted from ray3127:

I had previously only played Wonka on location at one place, and had written it off. Looking back I can see that the game wasn't set up properly, so I never gave it a fair shot.

I'm finding this about most machines I play on location. I didn't much like Wonka, Deadpool, and several others until I got them home. I had a hunch I just needed to play them without being surrounded by the public. I think whatever you say is probably true.

Quoted from ray3127:

It's not the greatest movie of all-time,

Strike my last sentence.

#12275 1 year ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

DIY for under $12. Not the brightest but the price was right!

"Add a zero on the end and I might be interested!" - Pinside community

#12286 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Automated Services. They charge a premium, but like you said… hard to find NIB anywhere. Their site still says In stock.
Great company and customer support.

It's often the only place to buy an older NIB. People crap on them for selling those at a higher price, but hey, if the values go down they're stuck holding the bag. And as far as I can see they're the only ones with NIB Wonkas. They're offering something no one else has! Which is worth a premium to many, including you.

#12291 1 year ago

Am I the only one who's surprised this isn't on the market yet as a start button?

Wonka button.jpgWonka button.jpg
1 week later
#12327 1 year ago

"No, YOU'RE trash!!!"

Hahaha...

ps I use this: https://a.co/d/4B5of67

#12341 1 year ago
Quoted from adol75:

I do find the left outlane to be a drain monster, so I'm thinking about putting a post there, although it's not that bad, or not as bad as it was on WOZ typically.

If you decide to put the post in the bottom hole and the black filler plastic cap into the top hole, be aware the plastic cap will change the ball movement a tiny bit. You wouldn't guess it by looking at it. That drove me nuts, and it was oddly difficult to get it back out. To answer your question, I put my post in the bottom hole. All my pins are set to "medium" in terms of post placement.

#12350 1 year ago
Quoted from mostater:

I am having an issue with Wonkavator where super lock is lit, the ball diverts appropriately, gets kicked up to the Wonkavator but then is immediately released.

I had this exact same problem. I looked hard at it, took a few pieces apart to make sure it was all correct, and reassembled it.

Of course, it's worked since. Because the steps I took above seem to fix 80% of my oddball issues

I will add, check your optos in that trough. Several people here said they've had issues with those.

#12355 1 year ago
Quoted from adol75:

How did you end up taking off the plastic screws ? I've been pushing hard from under but it doesn't move an inch. I'm hesitant to pull from the playfield I don't want to damage it.

If you're talking about the black plastic plugs that have threads/fins on them: I took a drill bit (dull end up) that was slightly smaller than the hole and tapped it pretty firmly with a hammer from below the playfield. It was nerve racking. JJP said it shouldn't be that hard, but it was. Also keep in mind that plastic plug has a wedge shaped end, so if you put something like a phillips head screwdriver in there it won't make good contact.

#12371 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

my spinner is often getting stuck like the pic below. During gameplay it usually fixes itself but not until I miss a whole bunch of great spinner shots. Anyway to get this so its sitting better?[quoted image]

One, single, tiny drop of oil on the two pivot points. Use can use a Q-Tip with a bit of oil on it to make sure it doesn't drop anywhere.

If it's getting hung up on something foreign, fix that, but if it's the friction being -just- enough to keep it like that on occasion, the oil will fix it. And give more Super Spinner Joy

2 weeks later
#12436 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It is literally the fix When the game doesn't hear from a switch in X number of games, it suspects there may be a problem and flags it.
So this tells me you're not nudging hard enough or often enough if you never tilt.

I've never thought an unused tilt bob switch would trigger that. I've heard people say they don't keep tilt bobs on their home pins, so you'd think that'd cause some problems down the road. Having said that, I've always made sure my pins had them functioning (because I'm so wicked hardcore, haha) and I have no direct experience.

#12453 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

You might need to lower your flipper power? It happens to me once in a while, but not enough where I feel like something's wrong.

You get an award for being the first person to ever recommend turning the flipper power DOWN on a JJP!

And yeah, the same happens to me on occasion too. I don't think it's a problem.

#12470 1 year ago
Quoted from Enron64:

Well as embarrassing as it is I finally made it to wonkas office for the first time. What a mode! Very cool and a lot of fun. This game is the gift that keeps on giving.

I remember getting to that and thinking "This is the Wizard Mode!!!" and then finishing and thinking I was a rock star for getting there despite totally blowing it. I was wrong on a couple counts there.

Now imagine how much more you have to experience!

1 week later
#12507 1 year ago
Quoted from LoganJK:

Hey everyone,
I'm getting some very small playfield wear where the ball drops from the ramp shots into the inlane.
Are there protectors I can put there? Or should I cut my own mylar?
Thank you!
Edit, this is right on top of the in lane roll over switches (not the best design IMO), still love the game

Funny you mention the design - I've seen pins go for decades with no problems like this, but I've also seen a Dialed In with under 1k plays and wood splintering there. I'm not sure why some pins have no problem and others do, but it does seem like a weak place to drop a ball repeatedly.

#12516 1 year ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

If the flipper feel is improved on Toy Story, can the flippers not be improved on Wonka and other older JJPs now? Would it be as simple as swapping out flipper mechs for example?

The flippers can be cranked up in the settings. Even bumping it up two points makes a very noticeable difference. Like, "did I just enter a cheat code" difference.

What I'd like to know is: Has JJP ever stated why their flippers are lower powered than most other manufacturers? The only benefits I can think of are 1) Less wear and tear on the machine, and 2) They think people will like it better. I can understand #1, but I would find #2 impossible to believe. I don't think anyone turns their flipper power up and then returns it to the factory setting. And yet, the flippers on every JJP pin feel the same.

#12526 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Is it worth buying a spare playfield? How does the playfield hold up after 7K+ plays?

No, I don't think it's worth it to get an extra playfield for home use. Practically ever. I imagine you'd see this pin with 100k plays and say "No, not worth $900 and many hours to replace." zaphX, care to respond?

Quoted from 27dnast:

You probably solved this,.. but I can almost guarantee your diverter flag fell off. So, on occasion shots that aren't super strong are falling into the wonkavator VUK and then wonkavator is kicking them out.

That isn't his problem. It's the same one I had for awhile - the ball appropriately goes up into the Wonkavator to lock, but then it gets released instead of staying locked. You're referring to an inadvertent lock.

#12533 1 year ago
Quoted from Gavino:

Have you got to pure imagination?

Once. It was the only time I had lit that far right ticket. At the start of ball three I looked down and said "The rest are lit, that's the only one left! I NEVER get that one. I need to do this." Looked up the walkthrough for the millionth time, and did it.

#12538 1 year ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Acoustics of the room you are in can make a difference as well.

I start every pin I buy in our hardwood floor living room for a few months before moving it to the gameroom that has carpet and velvet curtain walls. The sound is confusing at first - it sounds absolutely deadened. Which is cool, but weird.

#12539 1 year ago

Proof that the fifth ticket is unobtanium

I started with the greatest 1st ball ever (see pic). And then, even after three balls and two more Wonkavator Multiballs, could not get it.

Quoted from Gavino:

Yeah my current grand champion had factory tour and kid tickets. Was half way towards wonkavator ticket and that’s when I decided I didn’t know how to play pinball anymore and lost it all. Tragic.
Have you got to pure imagination?
[quoted image][quoted image]

I feel all your pain!

Wonka end (2).jpgWonka end (2).jpgWonka.jpgWonka.jpg
2 weeks later
#12563 1 year ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

I think my main issue is I have a few Sterns in the lineup so it becomes harder to acclimatize when you’re moving from game to game. Any thoughts?

Think of it this way: Would you want your Stern flippers turned up to max? Probably not, because they would be "too strong". But "too strong" is just an opinion. Really, it's a matter of knowing how much strength the flippers need to make the shot, and how much more above and beyond would you like to go past that. I agree it feels sad to play a JJP when you expect (and think you love) snappy Stern flippers. But when you realize that sometimes less is more, you may dial down the power here and there. I think of my Wonka as a flowy, magical "move the ball around" pin. When I play other pins (like Metallica and BK SOR) I really want that ball moving fast through the playfield. "Strong" and "Medium" power settings are both great in the appropriate games!

2 weeks later
#12583 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Here are a bunch of pics, lights on and lights off in my room. Hopefully they help you make a decision.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those are some of the most appropriate art blades I've seen on a pin. I'm not generally a fan of most but those click.

#12595 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

I just moved my Wonka LE under a light fixture because it's the only game I have with invisiglass. The reflection of the light makes it really hard to play. I feel like it's not serving its purpose.

Consider it "glare reduction glass", not "glare elimination glass". It helps a lot, but it's still not actually invisible.

#12631 1 year ago

Does anyone find that Pinstadiums wash out or distort the factory lighting? I love Pinstadiums, but seeing the lightshow that's on Wonka now I'm afraid it would mess with the total presentation of it.

#12657 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Doesn't sound like a fart to me??? At the end of a ball?

It's a fart. It's clearly a fart.

Don't ruin this for me.

It's the only time I let the tickets count - I sit in farticipation and let them tally up!

1 week later
#12688 1 year ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

I updated to the new code released on December 16th.

Is this still a Beta release you're talking about, or is there finished code that's been released? I'm only seeing 2.03 on the site, which appears to be a year old.

1 week later
#12705 1 year ago
Quoted from adol75:

Did anyone install the coil cooling fans ? I've been having long plays lately with a lot of multi balls and at some points I feel it gets really difficult to get the balls up the ramps. Not sure if it's me and my bad skills or if my coils get too hot, but wondering if it would help.

First off, I've never noticed fade on any pin so either I'm an idiot, or it doesn't exist. Please don't tell me which you think is true

Have you bumped up the flipper power at all? Bumping up two notches makes it feel like you injected it with steroids.

#12737 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Anyone have a positive experience with JJP on a Wonka issue.

Like almost every manufacturer I've dealt with, they were great until they went radio silent at the end. But definitely feel free to reach out to them, as they were very helpful.

2 months later
#12832 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

With all the new games coming out this month how does this group feel about whether Wonka stacks up to them?
I feel it holds it’s own quite well but I have seen a couple come up for sale in my market so I’m curious

I still think it's still one of the best games overall out there. Having said that, I'm listing mine for sale, haha. I like to rotate them out pretty often.

Quoted from phill2cb:

so they can charge a monthly/yearly subscription like insider connect.

What charge are you referring to? I'm not aware of any cost associated with using Insider Connect. I know -I'm- not paying anything, anway.

#12843 1 year ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

We to the WONKA club. Very excited.
I’ve not yet had time to digest the rules. Any suggestions on what to focus on to maximize scoring?

Have one multiball ready to go (say, Gobstopper Multiball), and then start another (say, Kid Multiball). Then stack them. On Wonka it's super easy, and you'll end the multi-multiball session with possibly lots of points. And adrenaline. I LOVE keeping a multiball going for as long as I can, and nothing feels as going doing this as Wonka does.

1 week later
#12854 1 year ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Don’t remove the Mylar. I use switch protectors when balls drop directly on the switch - eventually there will be damage. I am anal though, In home use it’s arguable.

I've seen a 1000 play HUO Dialed In with small but splintered wood damage where the ball had a similar drop. I put the protectors on my Wonka pretty quickly.

#12857 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Now that I’ve confirmed how and placing the protectors on the switch is a must, gonna revisit Wonka to get 4 Golden tickets. I can get 3 consistently.

If you're consistently getting three, four isn't too far away (and starts the most fun feature in my opinion) But man, that fifth ticket is an elusive monster!

1 week later
#12889 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Hey frens,
This time I need the tech help. I'm in covid isolation (thanks, Texas Covid Festival!) and my wife reports that Wonka upstairs is not locking wonkavator balls when super lock is lit.
Indeed I observed the same behavior the last time I played, before I got sick.
Does anyone know what to look for on this one?
- Blocked or dirty opto?
- Diverter failing to engage, maybe it lost a wire?
I have to admit being ignorant to what makes this part of the game work.

I had a similar problem awhile back and it sounded like a lot of people had it intermittently - this, and the lock working intermittently at the beginning of the Oompa Loompa feature. JJP did some troubleshooting with me and sent me these instructions. Nothing specifically fixed it, and it still occasionally happens (which again, sounds common), but it's magically much better now. I do remember making sure the optos in the Wonkavator were straight and clean.
Gmail - Fw_ Wonka elevator diverter.pdfGmail - Fw_ Wonka elevator diverter.pdf

#12890 1 year ago

I can't believe this whole time I never noticed the shot under the upper right flipper. Three successful attempts starts the "I've Got A Golden Ticket" feature. Seriously, this isn't documented -anywhere-?

#12901 1 year ago
Quoted from robx46:

Is le wonka worth it over a dialed in le that might cost 3k less?

I own both. I really like both. I think 3k is probably a fair spread for the two. But having said that - I think that illustrates how good of a value Dialed In is.

#12914 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

For sure Dialed In has value factor involved, but is it similar enough to suggest not to have both in a small lineup?
They are designed by the same man.

I understand why you might say this, but they are super duper very different games. Other than having a floaty JJP feel and sweet blue colors.

1 week later
#12936 1 year ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Personally, I would make the golden ticket requirement for Wonkavator multiball 1 super jackpot instead of 2. I can't tell you how many times I've been at four golden tickets and go into Wonkavator multiball and don't collect that second super jackpot. Then re-qualifying the mode is a huge pain in the butt and just not fun.

I NEVER set my pins to an easier ruleset like this...but I think I'm going to do this. I've got that 5th Golden Ticket once in 1200 games. I think it's time to "splurge" and make it every 200 games.

1 week later
#12948 1 year ago
Quoted from solid_snake:

I can't hit the spinner from the upper left flipper even if my life depended on it. Most of the shots seem to hit the tip of the upper right flipper.
I've tried everything but it just seems like the geometry is off?
Any tips? I'm not a great player but it seems like a shot I should be able to make and watching gameplay vids people seem to make it easily.

I was having a similar issue with my Rollercoaster Tycoon. Here's what I recommend: Try making that shot TOO early, so that it immediately fails to launch. Then start making it later and later until the ball actually makes it to the other side of the playfield. If it's still low, something needs to be adjusted. For me, I was just making the shot too late despite being 100% confident the flipper wasn't functioning properly.

Always beware 100% confidence!

3 weeks later
#12986 11 months ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Wizard of Oz has entered the chat.....

Has WOZ been difficult to maintain? I know practically nothing about that, but I assume if it's JJP's first pin it could be a handful.

3 weeks later
#13037 10 months ago
Quoted from ioncrash:

Hi guys -
I've felt for awhile like the left outlane on my Willy Wonka is just super brutal, so I put in the optional outlane pin, but I can't figure out what size rubber to use there. I tried putting a 3/8" on it so that it would be the same as the pin that sits between the two inlanes, but if I do that it actually blocks the ball from entering the left inlane. Does anyone know what rubber I'm supposed to put on there? The manual doesn't show anything there on the "Rubber Rings" diagram. Is it just supposed to be a bare pin?
Including a pic for clarity. I'm asking about the pin in back.
[quoted image]

You can have rubbers wherever you choose, but per JJP the rubber -between- the inlanes shouldn't be there.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside/page/208#post-6699492

#13072 10 months ago
Quoted from mjmpin:

No, I am talking about during play when you hit the gobstopper to make it rotate to provide the hole for locking balls. When it is turning the plate/surface - the motor sound is pretty loud coming from inside the cabinet
So I remain a bit confused as I have some saying the loud motor is normal and some saying it should be quiet ??
thanks!

Haha, I think I understand now. That's a digital sound being generated. It enhances the sound of that plate rotating. Try turning the audio all the way down and see if the noise disappears.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 32.99
$ 64.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
11,000 (OBO)
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcyallen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside?tu=arcyallen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.