IMG_2445 (resized).jpeg
wonka (resized).jpg
ca1d7f7e-8a2b-4029-af32-f724544015c9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5842.jpeg
IMG_5849.jpeg
IMG_5853.jpeg
IMG_7855 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #149 Deep Dive on features and all that is wonka Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Post #150 SDTM video on Wonka - interview with Pat Lawlor and Joe Katz Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #160 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #188 Rules Flowchart Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #248 Features Matrix - CE, LE, SE Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #554 Early Stream of a home owner who received their game Posted by Habermania (4 years ago)

Post #785 Gobstopper subway VUK not ejecting ball fix Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #793 Gobstopper subway VUK fix pics for reference Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #1130 Latest code changelog Posted by LTG (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FlippinJB.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5443 3 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I figured it out, a weight for spinner,I have not seen them on other games before

Definitely. My spinner almost literally exploded during the best round of Super Spinner I have ever played. I was really hammering that thing, which is good, as I'm normally useless. There are two weights which clamp around the bar, and the front and back plates with the graphics on. JJP sent a replacement, but I haven't installed it yet because I can't be arsed to take the right ramp off. Instead, a healthy dose of Gorilla Weld epoxy seems to be holding it. If it flies apart again, I will bite the bullet and replace it.

2 weeks later
#5554 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

How long does it take your game to boot?

Two minutes seems a long time. I have a Pirates next to mine and they take about the same time.

Timed it for you.

0s Flick switch!
16s Pop
32s Text appears (loading files)
48s Game is up

Hope this helps you to work out which step is taking too long. Mine is a LE by the way, I don't know if different versions take longer/shorter.

(Although I'd wait 20 minutes to play this game - it's bloody brilliant! )

1 month later
#5813 3 years ago

Really starting to get this game now, after owning it for a few months... Multipliers FTW! Managed my first million today, which is good for me as I default to the 'flailing while swearing' technique. It's all strategy, and as others have said, it just flows. Love it. Well done, Pat and JJP!

1 week later
#5849 3 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Woo!! Only 2 extra balls. Best moment was an over 10 mil bonus collect (8x bonus * 5x playfield * 500ish bars). Also made it to pure imagination, but haven’t mastered that mode yet.

Wow! I only just broke 1.5M! Definitely more practise required, I think.

On a related note, a gentleman who had never played pinball before in his life ("I don't get why you like those things!") played Wonka at my place today. 30 mins later, he said: "I'm staying here today - this thing is great!" And now he wants one. Conversion complete!

#5866 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

From the manual these are the parts for the cheater post and washer

On a related note, what's the best way to get the black washer *out* of the playfield hole? I've tried twisting it, pushing it from the back with a small screwdriver, etc. and that little fella won't budge! Is it threaded, or just a bung? I didn't want to use much force as I didn't want to do any damage!!

8 months later
#8568 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Haven’t turned this game on since I got my GnR. Flipped it on tonight and remembered how awesome it is. Played a few games and got a new GC. Funny how that happens when you step away from a game for a while.
[quoted image]

Surely that match animation has to be one of the best in all of pinball!

#8621 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

I'm hoping others can confirm whether or not the dropped frames in these animations are normal or not

Hmm, definitely noticeable. I haven't upgraded yet (busy!), and mine certainly doesn't look like that. The curtain is also noticeably stuttering in the match animation, and as you say, the game over screen is very jittery. What's that all about? Agree with you on the OCD thing

1 week later
#8715 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It's useful for trapping balls on the bottom flippers while making shots with the top ones.

Every time I try this, it causes a state of panic and the resultant flailing sends the balls down south. More practise required.

2 months later
#9123 2 years ago

My right flipper is weakening after ~30 minutes of play. I changed the coil sleeve, and that improved it a bit, but it still seems to do the same thing. Looks like it's the overheating problem. Does anyone know where I could get some flipper fans here in the UK? Anyone importing them?

#9146 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippinJB:

My right flipper is weakening after ~30 minutes of play. I changed the coil sleeve, and that improved it a bit, but it still seems to do the same thing. Looks like it's the overheating problem.

It was not the overheating problem! Dry joint on the middle lug, sparking away like bonfire night. Lessons I have learned: 1) Don't assume. 2) Investigate properly.

Oops!

Dry solder joint (resized).PNGDry solder joint (resized).PNG
#9155 2 years ago
Quoted from Goyomex:

Now, it doesn’t appear to be an alignment issue rather it’s not returning to its base. If a ball hits it, it goes back to base position, but flip again and it’s stuck.

Could be that you need to replace the coil sleeve? Just a thought, if it's binding as zaphX suggests.

1 week later
#9246 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Also, has the stuttering animation been fixed in 2.0?

I hope so, as I'm going to install it. jimbodeanny has been doing some great work documenting this, and he says (at the link below) that the issue seems to have been fixed in beta v5. Must say thanks to jimbodeanny for his tenacity and for pointing this out to us all (and JJP of course). I can't find any specifics in the release notes regarding the animation stuttering, apart from 'updated some display effects'.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-v137-update-choppy-animations#post-6404902

#9259 2 years ago

Just installed v2.0. Very nice! Got to see some things I haven't seen before and beat my GC score quite easily! (Actually not difficult - I'm pretty useless really.) Do you think it's now too easy to get Super X? I know that can be changed in settings, but I usually like to keep things default.

#9268 2 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

Anyone else notice how the screen now oscillates from positive to negative in Wonkatania mania on version 2.00?

Yes, saw that tonight - very cool! Loved it.

I backed up my settings onto a USB stick before I installed the update. This was a full update (not delta) from 1.33. As I expected, high scores, pictures and settings were erased. I restored the settings, and everything's back - although I have already beat my previous GC score. Quite easily, and I would call myself an average player at best (and that's being kind to myself!)

#9271 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Not sure I can keep the 2 gimme gobstoppers.

Damn, that's a good point. Is this game too easy now?

Edit/addition - I used to work hard for those playfield multipliers, and now they're available after a bit of flailing around... hmm.

#9280 2 years ago

Are there extra add-a-balls now? Had several multiballs where extra balls were kicked into play. I couldn't see the screen because I was concentrating on the flail-fest happening at the flippers.

#9315 2 years ago
Quoted from HomerEBW:

Haha yep.
I received a PM from a user saying it took them around 75min for the settings to be restored. So I'm leaving it the way it is and hope it works.

Did you press Enter or the start button on the front of the cab? I pressed Enter the first time!

2 weeks later
#9400 2 years ago
Quoted from SuperMas77:

My Wonkavator is not releasing the balls properly. This has been a new and recurring theme since 2.0 code was updated. Is anyone else having this issue or may it just be coincidence and something else is the culprit??
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pC1raqRKCHWqtyeu6

Just something to check - is your machine levelled horizontally? The balls don't seem to be rolling very quickly to the left.

#9417 2 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

The playfield had shown zero signs of pooling until a couple weeks ago - seemingly confirming some theories out there that pooling can form over time.

That's rough. How long have you owned your game?

#9419 2 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

This game is 9 months old from unboxing new. These were not there at unboxing and I took preventative measures to put the rubber and metal washers under the various posts. These developed recently within the last several weeks. I check for them often as I am pretty anal about condition of my games.
It is definitely unfortunate - that said, it does not detract from my enjoyment of the game. It's wonderful!

Ach. It's strange that it happened in so many areas of the playfield at roughly the same time. There have been a lot of people who have tried to get to the reason behind this, I'm sure... Just throwing ideas out there, I wondered if you'd recently changed the game's location or the temperature/environment it's kept at before the pooling started.

And I totally agree it's a great game! I can't get enough of it.

#9431 2 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Game comes up now as 2.0 code install but states some errors that go by very quickly on start up.

I'm sure that's fine. Mine does the same thing with lots of messages during start-up. If it says 2.0 in the bottom-right of the screen during test mode, and the game plays without issues, then I think you're good to go.

2 weeks later
#9494 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Install 2.0 before you make this decision. It dramatically improves balance and gameplay.

Yep must agree. Do try v2. I still think it's too easy to get playfield x though, on default.

1 month later
#9848 2 years ago

I'm getting some rejects from strong shots up the right ramp. Almost like the ball hits something at the top of the ramp and comes screaming back. Can anyone see anything unusual here? I wondered if the ball was getting some air-time and hitting the plastic protector. Thanks for any help.

20210804_132552501_iOS (2) (resized).jpg20210804_132552501_iOS (2) (resized).jpg20210804_132648684_iOS (2) (resized).jpg20210804_132648684_iOS (2) (resized).jpg
#9867 2 years ago

One day soon I, too, will get to experience the famed Wonka's Office*!

(*without taking the glass off. Haven't done it yet.)

#9907 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Im the type who absolutely hates to change games from their "intended" settings.. But after a year and a half of constant frustrations with that left drain, I finally suckered up and put in that "cheater post". What a difference that made for me... I can actually enjoy the game.

Agreed. Same over here. In fact I'd have put it in the top position if I could muster up the bravery to hammer out the black plug from the top hole! Just the second hole makes a difference, and the game a lot more enjoyable, imho.

1 month later
#10143 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

OMG, yes! It's not even close, this is the most fun pinball machine we've ever owned. Everyone in our house plays it daily. We owned a WOZ for awhile and the kids stopped playing it after a week. Similar story with most of our pins. They don't play my Stern Star Trek much. Wonka is pure magic, I love everything about it. What sucks is the bar is set so high now I can't find another pin to buy that we would have just as much fun with. We are getting CCR LE next year and I want one more pin for a 4 pin collection. I have been thinking about Hobbit, Dialed In or waiting for Toy Story. The recent Sterns don't interest me as much. They are fun no doubt, but I don't feel like they have the same "magic" that JJP pins have, Sterns feel like fast playing tournament machines to me. I wouldn't mind trying out Godzilla Premium for awhile but I've given up trying to find one, no Distros can get one for me in a reasonable time frame.

Brilliant post pcprogrammer - completely agree. Wonka absolutely rocks. You might want to try BM66 - I have one in my collection and it's one of my mates' favourites. Good rules, and the assets are hilarious, especially after a couple of beers.

2 weeks later
#10247 2 years ago
Quoted from prentice:

Perhaps a little too easy of shots?

Certainly not for me! I do appreciate the ease of the left ramp, as it's a way to get balls under control, but I have days when I cannot hit the TV saucer despite many, many flailing attempts. I love the left (kid multiball) lane... so satisfying when you nail it! The flow is great.

#10256 2 years ago

If you want a bit of a treat, switch attract mode music on - the pure imagination music is great! (Although the Jersey Jack one's somewhat irritating.)

#10266 2 years ago
Quoted from flipperstick:

How is attract mode supposed to work on Wonka? I turned the three attract mode options on but no noise or audio is working. Not hearing pure imagination.

It typically plays ~15mins after switching the game on. Sometimes the Jersey Jack music plays instead. Double check in the system settings menu that Attract Mode Music is on, as it's off by default. Well worth a listen!

#10314 2 years ago

I removed the rubber from the post between the two inlanes when I installed the (cheater?) post at the bottom outlane position. It seems to work ok.

3 months later
#11416 1 year ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Mine works the same as yours and releases any locked Wonkavator balls upon powering up the game. I just re-checked the game settings for Wonkavator multi-ball and couldn't find a setting to release the locked balls at the end of the game.

Game Settings -> Wonkavator Multiball -> Stored Locks - set to YES to keep locked balls between games.

Game Settings -> Wonkavator Multiball -> Lock Behavior - set to SHARED LOCKS if you want players to be able to steal others' locked balls.

Game Settings -> Wonkavator Multiball -> Recover Lost Locks - set to YES if you want the lock to reopen when balls are dumped for other multiballs.

Hope this helps.

#11421 1 year ago
Quoted from chillme:

Took at look at the Wonkavator lock settings on my CE and the Stored lock option is grayed out. So it's disabled. It's set to no and I can't change it.
I played around with the other settings and it did not make the stored option active so you can change it. Anybody have that set to on?

Hmm, never had this before. A few things I'd check:

Does the Wonkavator work in test?

Tests -> Device Test -> Wonkavator

Is the diverter enabled?

Games Settings -> Devices -> Disable Elevator Diverter

Also I wonder if some sort of tournament mode might be disabling it? Just guessing here, as I'm not in front of my machine right now.

#11422 1 year ago
Quoted from FlippinJB:

Also I wonder if some sort of tournament mode might be disabling it? Just guessing here, as I'm not in front of my machine right now.

Just had a further scout through the manual, and I'm again guessing, but check System Settings -> Competition Mode is set to OFF.

#11428 1 year ago
Quoted from chillme:

Took at look at the Wonkavator lock settings on my CE and the Stored lock option is grayed out. So it's disabled. It's set to no and I can't change it.
I played around with the other settings and it did not make the stored option active so you can change it. Anybody have that set to on?

chillme I've been thinking about this. It's either a bug, as naf_llabnip suggests, or a setting we don't know about which disables the stored locks setting.

Is your software up to date and the right software for the machine? I'm no expert, and I'm probably thinking way outside the box now, but if SE code was installed on an LE or CE machine, could this happen? I'd think there were safeguards in place to prevent that install from even happening, but it might be worth reinstalling the software. Just a thought.

2 months later
#11940 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I have this issue also, and find that using my thumbs against the apron with the playfield down to push the playfield back that last tiny bit allows the hangers to drop into place. Works for me.

Just a chance guess, but have you removed the black cube shipping block from the inside-back of the cabinet?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 32.99
$ 64.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FlippinJB.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside?tu=FlippinJB and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.