IMG_2445 (resized).jpeg
wonka (resized).jpg
ca1d7f7e-8a2b-4029-af32-f724544015c9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5842.jpeg
IMG_5849.jpeg
IMG_5853.jpeg
IMG_7855 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

892 posts in this topic match your search for posts by zaphx. You are on page 3 of 4.
#7730 3 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

I dont know....why wouldnt it?

The same reason they aren't re-running Dialed In - demand was met by existing stock and in fact took a while to sell through.

#7731 3 years ago

I mean...you had two years to buy one. What were you waiting for? It's a great game and has been since it dropped.

I realize people are just now starting to discover it, which is great, but come on.

#7769 3 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Instead of wasting time flagging reviews how about go play some pinball.

Play? Is that a thing?

I thought the deal was, buy the machine, brag about it a while, then sell with < 150 plays.

#7816 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinman502:

Curious to see what others got inside of their collectors edition when I got mine nothing was inside had to get a hold of them to send me out the coin box and power cord and everything else I don’t know if they quite sent me everything that everyone else got inside of theirs definitely did not get no side protectors for the art blades also has anyone else having issues with chipping around the slingshots

Doesn't your CE have the clear washers on the slingshots?

#7821 3 years ago

Sorry I got my threads mixed up. Clear washers are on GNR CE not Wonka CE.

#7827 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

That sucks big time... But interesting as I always wondered when I would see a post about this.
Is there a way to protect that sticker?

Really weird as we have 8000+ plays and the sticker looks good.

#7830 3 years ago
Quoted from Figment:

So, any Texas WW owners see the new Texas Lottery scratch off? It’s a $5 Willy Wonka Golden Ticket game! Guess I’ll be looking tomorrow![quoted image]

The lottery is a tax for people bad at math.

#7832 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

So, aside from the new code update doing wifi and bluetooth, what game changes were made?

http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/ww/wonka_changelog.txt

#7842 3 years ago
Quoted from chillme:

Upgraded our CE to 1.34. I'm glad I listened to ltg advice and made a backup of settings before hand. Installed wiped the settings and scores. It would have been a rough weekend if my wife's grand champion score had gotten wiped out. Restore worked perfect.

I had about 10 rough days after nuking my wife's GNR GC. That really sucked until she beat it again.

#7865 3 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Damn. I was just about to update my machine. I may hold off now...
Thanks for sharing

There is no indication that it's related to software. I'm running it without issue.

#7873 3 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

That sucks...maybe a locked transistor fried the coil. Hope not and it's just the coil itself. I'm going to hold off on this update for a bit.

Locked transistor was going to be my guess too.

You can test that with a meter in ohms mode, game power off. Measure the 2 outer and outer/inner legs of the affected transistor and compare to one of his friends nearby on the driver board.

#7875 3 years ago
Quoted from swampy:

Yes the Mac issue for Unetbootin is frustrating......but there's a super easy way to do the update using Mac.
1. download update ISO file
2. click and open ISO file - a new window will open showing the file contents of the image. You will see several folders and files.
3. select all files in that window and drag all to your USB drive (formatted FAT32, blank etc)
4. remove USB and do the update on your machine.
5. Done!! Worked for me on Wonka 1.34, and also recently on a DI LE.
Not sure why JJP don't publish this procedure for Mac users - it works perfectly and is super easy.

I have another approach that works too, slightly more technical. Open up terminal:

1. diskutil list (note which disk is your USB stick)
2. diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk4 (replace disk4 with your disk)
3. hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o wonka.img Wonka-v01.34.iso (this converts the image format)
4. mv wonka.img.dmg wonka.img (this removes an unwanted extension)
5. sudo dd if=wonka.img of=/dev/rdisk4 bs=1m (replace disk4 with your disk, keep the r)
5. diskutil eject /dev/disk4 (replace disk4 with your disk)

#7884 3 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

Can someone sanity check this.
Looks like Drive 21 is the VUK.
Per the schematic on D-71 I want to test R351 and R343
Do I have that right?

I read Q324 for drive 21.

#7887 3 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Anybody else have a weak shooter lane on the manual plunge? Any suggestions it barely makes it up and into the playfield.

Mine is like rocket powered, especially after playing GNR which intentionally uses a very light spring.

I'm guessing it's one of these two things:

- Is the shooter tip intact? Sometimes they break or are even missing. No shooter tip, no power.
- When you plunge empty, does the autolauncher "jump?" If so, it's contacting your shooter and robbing power. Loosen the shooter assembly (it's 3 screws) and move it down a bit, and retighten.

#7893 3 years ago

Which word didn't you understand?

#7940 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Scorbit - so I’m connected, have my venue setup, game added, and now what? Played a game. What (if anything) is Scorbit doing in the background? If I set a high score is there anything I have to do to post or is it automatic?

What it does automatically is log plays and scores, some of which you can see (My Machines will show you play counts by day.)
The idea is, when you're playing a game:

- Launch Scorbit
- Hit the center button on the bottom
- Select your venue/game
- Tap the player slot (which change from "Player X" to "You".)

At that point the score for that game will be associated with your Scorbit user and score history.
Unfortunately you have to do this for each game you start.

You can do it mid-game though, I generally do it if I feel a heater coming on.

#7945 3 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

Okay, I tested Q324 that leads to the Wonkavator VUK. Looks like a bad transistor. I'm getting 84ohm on the bad one and 10ohm on its neighbors. I'm not sure I'm testing this right but figured going from emitter to receiver was right. I only had one EE class in school and sucked at it.
I noticed a scorching near the transistor leads on the PCB backside. Probably not coincidence.
Everyone, I hope you're seeing this post because I suspect the software update and this event were likely not related on my machine. I'll report back what JJP says. They are such a cool company.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Good job! I feel like it woudn't be the worst idea for me to have a dozen of those transistors on hand, for eventualities like this.

#7984 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

For future code update: While in Kid Multiball it would be great if the Wonkavision screen would show you whether you have collected each Kid's jackpot shot. Now, if you go in with 3 or more kids you have to look up to main screen to see if the shot counted and if you miss it, you won't know whether it counted or not until you are out of the MB. Thank you.

I agree that some kind of visual indicator for which kid jackpots are collected would be awesome!

Maybe a colored circle around the kid heads or something.

#8068 3 years ago

I'd open it. If it's new as promised, keep it. If not, send it back. What's the downside?

There are instructions for unboxing without destroying the box.

#8081 3 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

This is good point since it sounds like it has been opened once already.

It sounds to me there was some miscommunication but your game is indeed new (and in fact, checked out twice by the factory - once on initial ship and again after the return.)

I would open with confidence and have a great weekend playing Wonka and forget about the silly box.

#8084 3 years ago
Quoted from pbjksb:

I decided to return for full refund. Mike Fox reassured me that it was brand new and I talked to Mike at GAP also but I was more comfortable sending this pinball back for full refund.

Wow.

#8086 3 years ago
Quoted from pbjksb:

Btw, thank you all for comments. I am sort of newbie so this forum helps a lot!

Editing my original comment.

The thing about pinball is: it's not gonna be perfect, EVER.
There are always going to be little issue in any pin, if you look hard enough.

I try to sort issues into the following buckets:

- Fixable, without needing parts
- Fixable, with parts
- Liveable flaw
- Unliveable flaw

Unless it's in the 4th bucket, I'm not going to let it bother me much.

I really think you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater sending back a game because of an email taped to the box, but you do you.

#8115 3 years ago
Quoted from crobby:

One thing that I've noticed since I've been running 1.34 (and just now with 1.35) is that sometimes after I turn the machine on and just let it set for 5 min or so, the gobstopper hole will rote 90 degrees clockwise and remain in the 3 o'clock position. When I start a game, it then rotates 180 degrees to the 9 o'clock position (I have it set up super easy for the kids, so it normally starts with the gobstopper hole open) and tries to operate "normally" from there, but remains 90 degrees out of sync with where it should be. When I go to the device tests and spin it around to where it ought to be, it plays nice again. Still looking for more patterns to the behavior.

When I had weird behavior out of the gobstopper hole like that, it was loose set screws on the gear that spins the mech.
They eventually got so loose the gear dropped and stopped spinning entirely.

Easy no-cost fix, just raised the gear and retightened.

IMG_0157 (resized).jpegIMG_0157 (resized).jpeg
#8161 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Good job though! I just got GC with 3 tickets and 11.6 million. It's a tough game but loving it! Seems so far off to get that 4th ticket...Gobstopper and Wonkavator are tough! We decided not to do the random mode for the first ticket yet...we want to earn Most Secret Machine once before setting to random.

Same, we want it to be special.

#8176 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

Upgraded to 1.35 (full install). The game works but I keep getting this pile of errors on the start up. I tried to reinstall but it just boots up to the game. Wondering ifbi need to downgrade the upgrade back? Anyone ever see an issue like this? I opened a ticket with support but haven't heard back.

THat's been standard for a while. Looks nasty but it's nothing to worry about.

#8190 3 years ago
Quoted from erikgilby:

This video was great and super helpful. zaphX any chance you could convinced to bring it back?

Twitch deletes them over time, but good news! That one I replicated to YouTube!

#8200 3 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

Any protectors that I need to purchase for a Willy Wonka LE/CE?

I recommend 2 of the generic slot protectors from Cliffy, as those slots tend to get beaten up pretty badly by the ball drops.

Install them open side DOWN to avoid stuck balls.

#8210 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I installed mine open up, get the rare stuck ball, ugh, not like easy to lift up either.

You can do it! I did the same thing and sawing dental floss got them up to where I could flip them around.

#8237 3 years ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

Gobstopper switch is the only thing that continues to give me issues on my machine. Don't have a 3D printer, but I think I can take a tiny block of wood and my Dremel and craft something similar (appreciate at least seeing what the part looks like, thx for sharing this info!). OR maybe this is the reason I "need" to get a 3D printer, hmmmm....

Seriously, you really don't need to add anything.

Just fold some e-tape and jam it into the switch body where the arm is coming out.
You will probably find that it's loose and floppy.

I used a very small flathead for this. Once you do this, the switch arm will now be firm enough that you can adjust it to the correct sensitivity and it will no longer flop above the actuator.

#8238 3 years ago

Here's a picture to describe the fix better.

24A282_AS02 (resized).jpeg24A282_AS02 (resized).jpeg
#8240 3 years ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

Brilliant, thank you sir and much appreciate you sharing the photo as well.

No problem - I did this as a temporary fix, 1.5 years and 8000+ plays later it still works

Interesting, my SE (July 2019 build) was fine, but the CE (Nov 2019 build) had this fault, along with other CEs. Maybe a bad run of switches, maybe someone hamfisting them during install and breaking loose something inside the switch body. Who knows.

#8242 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Anyone else's Wonka Factory tower getting knocked around and twisted? Last week, I took apart the plastic that the tower is mounted to and re-secured the screws underneath it holding it on the plastic. One week later the screws came out again. That baby nearly spins around when I hit factory target! Also tried double sided tape but not holding. Not a major issue more of a nuisance but wondering if anyone else has this happening.

Loctite the screws? I had one drop too but it stayed put after I replaced it.

#8244 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Cant recall how much room is there, but all JJP need to do is put a longer roll leaf on the switch.

Could be. In my fault the issue was caused by bounce/flop in the arm rather than reach.

#8258 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I never understood wanting to use Scorbit. Since all machines play differently, its never an accurate comparison for scores... And who is to stop someone from using scores from modded machines, like changing inlane sizes, extra balls.... ?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's fun to have a place to post your scores and track your own history over time. I wouldn't take it that seriously.

#8267 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

I don't think my switch looks like that. It's connected at the end, not the middle. Maybe i'm crazy though.

Yeah that switch isn't exactly the same, just picked one online to illustrate the fix.

#8269 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Is this shot the same as the saucer shot?
Is there any difference between shooting the TV and shooting the Saucer? [quoted image]

Same shot.

#8280 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Can someone let me know if a screw is missing here? Maybe post a pic of it if there is. Thanks John[quoted image]

Does the Wonka tower rotate? Looks like it maybe lost a screw from underneath the plastic.

#8281 3 years ago

Here's mine

IMG_2926.jpegIMG_2926.jpeg
#8283 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Yes it is rotated counter clockwise at this point.

Yeah there's a thin black screw that goes into the tower from underneath the plastic. You will probably find it loose under the plastic when you remove it, or inside the cabinet.

Strangely my CE had one go loose there too, shortly after receipt.

#8284 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Can someone let me know if a screw is missing here? Maybe post a pic of it if there is. Thanks John[quoted image]

If you can't find the screw, here's the one you'll need to replace (highlighted, #11)

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 9.40.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-25 at 9.40.44 PM.png
2 weeks later
#8340 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I learned something the other day that I’d never known. In “The Candy Man” computer award mode, the candy jar on the LCD counts your hits down, and once you hit enough you hit the inner loop for a jackpot! Who knew?
I wonder how many other little rule nuances I don’t understand? Why the heck doesn’t the manufacturer explain this stuff to us?

I never knew that either, good find!!

#8384 3 years ago

I’m updating to 1.37 tomorrow. Feel a little guilty, that I couldn’t get beyond 3 tickets on 1.33, but I guess if your not playing 1.37 you’re not playing the game as intended.
Looking forward to The Most Secret Machine!

Hey 3 tickets is nothing to scoff at!

#8405 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

CE owners - I love how there are unique call outs in the code so it has my interest but I've never seen the red in person. I think the blue is JJPs nicest powder, right along with WOZ ECLE.
Does that red have a sparkle in it too? It looks kind of flat from the pics....

It doesn't have sparkle like the playfield does but it's definitely a metallic look.

Thinking of upgrading?

#8408 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

The call outs got me interested as the sound on this game is the weakest part by far but I just don’t like the red. I much prefer that blue sparkle. I was hoping the red had a sparkle to it but it sounds like that’s not the case. I also think radcals are really overrated so that’s not a factor for me.
Wonka LE could be one of my fav looking pins from JJP although that’s also b/c it’s one of my fav movies. GnR LE my #1 looking pin from them.

I hear you, I like that sparkly blue too. I'm a sucker for radcals though

How are you doing on golden tickets? I love the gameplay on this one.

#8411 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

2 but I actually like the challenge of this game. I also don't have a lawlor pin anymore and this is by far my fav theme of his. Plus it's a deep playing game. I've conditioned myself to ignore the terrible sound effects and the kids are really looking for it too. It's only a matter of time until I jump back into the club. This time with the LE. I need that sparkle and the SE cab art is truly one of the worst ever.

It really is an under-appreciated game IMO. Excellent challenge and depth, and big rewards when you execute well.

#8422 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Should be rejoining the club this weekend - this time with an LE. Standard is such a good value but F it, that blue sparkle is so nice.
Question is where are you guys getting those stand alone mushrooms? Not the ones in grass but I see guys with single mushrooms throughout that look good

We welcome you back...again

#8424 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Haha
Btw - I enjoy your tutorial videos. Good job on those. I’m also on a JJP kick. WOZECLE, POTC, Hobbit, GnR LE and now Wonka. DI is the only one but I really don’t dig the theme although I appreciate the great layout. Wonka and DI in the same collection - might be too much.

Thanks Delt! Wonka rules are on the complex side but it’s really rewarding to play.

#8425 3 years ago

Wow delt this makes your third Wonka?

#8437 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Any suggestions on a reliable way to hit the captive ball in WW that won’t drain? From the right flipper cradle, I get SDTM pretty often. Left flipper is a harder shot (maybe better with not draining), and upper right flipper actually sometimes works. Is the captive ball meant to be a risky shot?

I aim for the orange on the playfield art from the right flipper. It hits the captive ball and bounces to the upper right flipper.

#8441 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

I second this.
Any advice on kid multiball shot? Still don’t have that one down as much as I need from right flipper.

I shoot for Kid MB when half the ball is off the tip of the right flipper.

This shot works for wide orbit shots on many games btw!

#8445 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Do you have another link for this Kid Multiball video? Twitch link is dead. Thanks!

#8453 2 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

JJP needs to update their F'n code...Ridiculous that it's this hard to do a code update.
It's unacceptable.

Well, once you're wifi'd it's pretty frictionless.

#8459 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I had a GnR SE beside a Wonka SE for alittle while. Wonka is so much better its not even a comparison to me. GnR code is all about score which i absolutely hated unless the games from the 80s. Wonka has such a smooth feel it made GnR feel like it was designed by a rookie with so much clunk and boring shots. Light show wise GnR crushes everything but the light show gets old quick when theres no story or narrative to the code besides get the highest score possible.

Wow. Could not disagree more.

GNR has the whole accomplishment thing going - best booster setup followed by best execution. Plus all the "side quests" of the album modes, tour/Slash modes.

Are you one of those people that nerfed the game by tuning out the multiballs?

#8461 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

No i actually liked the multiballs just didnt like the code direction or the layout plus it feels cheaply made compared to the other JJPs ive owned, i have had 4 out of 6 they have made. Thanks for the Wonka tutorial videos they were/are great by the way. Wonka is wonderful and has some magic under the glass.
Edit-on GnR i made it through the entire code in 2 days of owning it playing it like a mode based game and then realized it just wasnt for me. I dont play for points ever i never look up and see what my scores are until im done, its more about the adventure for me which GnR has none of. Glad you enjoy GnR though!

I hear you - 2 days and you were into all the modes+wizard, wow! I should watch your tutorials

FWIW we went through a doubt phase on the game early on too - then it really hooked us bad and we're putting plays on it even faster than we did with Wonka

#8463 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I would play each song just long enough to qualify for the album modes is how i did it so fast. I just didnt realize the code was setup like it is until it was to late. If it wasnt for Covid I would of played it on location and realized it wasnt for me. I did have the game for about a month and tried and tried to like it but just couldnt get past the layout and code designs. Then i got Wonka and was blown away buy the level of fun I have on it compared to GnR. So I sold GnR and got a Catwomen which is so much better then GnR when it comes to what i prefer in my games. Its all good though I just have a different opinion then alot of guys on GnR i get it.

Well you can't go wrong with Wonka either - it's a spectacular game with many layers to uncover over time. It has certainly earned its keep for us!

#8467 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

I posted this question to you previously in this thread with no response - and I’m interested in your opinion as I have enjoyed your videos.
What is the better machine - Wonka on GnR?

People ask me all the time to rank my JJPs, which game is best, is GNR better than Wonka, etc....

Quoted from NightTrain:

They are just so polar opposite each other.

And that right there is why I can't answer the question...I genuinely don't know the answer myself.
I love them both and for very different reasons, a sentiment I have about all JJPs.
Each one offers a very unique experience. None have disappointed me.

#8480 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

I respect that thanks for the input
My interest in your opinion is the number of JJP you have as well as the time you spent on them learning and sharing with us. I appreciate that.
Now tell me about the Hobbit in comparison ...

Hobbit I had some trepedation with going in. I don't care for the theme, haven't seen the movies, and the game did not resonate with me on casual plays at friends houses. But I had an opportunity to get a really nice one so I jumped at it, reasoning I could always sell if I didn't like it.

Once we understood the rules, we both fell in love with it. It's a great game and the longer ball times are refreshing if we're getting beaten up by the other machines.

I can't stress enough how different each and every JJP plays. That makes them very hard to "rank."

I will say that like RobbyIRL5 the two we are currently playing the most are Wonka and Guns.

#8483 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

zaphX your Kid Multiball tutorial was amazing, changed my game today. Nice to know what you're trying to accomplish.

Thanks man! I'm really glad that it helped!

#8491 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I had a Pirates. Loved it for a few months then I stopped caring if I completed any of the character modes.

I hear you, I keep telling myself I need to focus on those more. Most times I just get excited about getting the sixes stack going and ripping the upper playfield loop At least I have something to grow into.

#8494 2 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Hi all,
Had asked previously if anyone on the forum had figured out what the pink pipe and numbers on the pipe mean. Have figured out the first part of it. When you start the game the pipe is blank. Every time you hit the inner loop (Mike Teavee shot) the score on the pipe increases by 500. Have tried several times to focus on this and it seems to max out at 5,000. However, I cannot figure out what the number means, because it does not appear to give you that score each time you hit the shot, nor does it seem to be linked to jackpots in any mode etc. Anyways, keen to hear other thoughts and theories and folks continue to explore the intricacies of WW![quoted image]

I -think- is has something to do with rewards in Oompa Loompa Odyssey. Jackpot seed value maybe?

#8517 2 years ago

I recently did a full flipper rebuild on Wonka and even after all new plungers/stops/sleeves the upper left flipper was shooting poorly.

I discovered the culprit - the flipper bushing was broken in two!

Easy fix, just wanted to pass that on. My guess is that I bricked the Kid MB shot into the flipper tip about 250,000 times

IMG_3034.jpegIMG_3034.jpeg
#8566 2 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Wonka gets the most plays in my lineup and that's saying something! I've begun to deep dive on the game and am working on the kids at the moment. It appears you can qualify a kid, collect a kid, and complete a kid....if I got that right. What do you get for collecting and completing? Is it just the kid multiball on collecting? Does completing boost the score?

Collecting = ready for Kid MB. Completing = multiplier on jackpots in Kid MB. More completed kids = higher jackpot threshold for all the kids in the MB.

#8572 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippinJB:

Surely that match animation has to be one of the best in all of pinball!

My buddy cjchand called it "The Oompa Loompa Kama Sutra!"

#8579 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

This is helpful but I'm confused on how you actually complete a kid. Let's use Mike. I know cyan shots will allow you to qualify. How do you then collect him and also complete him? I believe part of the answer is to hit more cyan shots so maybe that's collect? Or is that complete?

All collects are done at the captive ball. Completes vary by kid:

Mike = make cyan shots after qualifying (I think it's 3)
Augustus = make red shots (right ramp then left orbit) after qualifying
Violet = GUM targets after qualifying
Charlie = Complete Fizzy mode successfully
Veruca = Complete Good egg mode successfully

If you haven't seen it yet check out my Kid Multiball deep dive on YouTube!

BTW nice appearance on Zach's show, I enjoyed it.

#8606 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Is the most secret machine supposed to turn that way?

That was my thought, it doesn’t look like it’s settling in the right position.

#8614 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Guys - wasn’t there a mod for the clear in front of the gobstopper? I believe a sticker or something that makes it look like proto? Also - I loved how they originally called kids mb brat mb. Too bad they weren’t allowed to keep it that.

Yeah search for "big points sticker." Personally I think it's kinda dumb because that insert doesn't always mean "big points" but ya know, mod life

#8624 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

What is the factory setting for the right outlane on this game? Is it all the way up (harder), middle or further down (easier)? I see diff setups in pics provided. Thanks

My left outlane post shipped in the lower position and the right one in the middle. I haven't moved either one.

#8630 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I feel like I saw some thing about this somewhere, but why does it seem like the flippers get weak during multiball? I could be thinking about another game but I sort of remember somebody talking about the magnets pulling all the power. Does that ring a bell or was I thinking of something else? Could just be getting hot.

I found that during multiballs the magnets suck power away from the flippers.

I believe my Wonka flippers are +2 from default, will check in the AM.

#8655 2 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

Off topic, but

Hey guys are you +2 on ALL FOUR flippers or just the lowers?
I had my lowers set higher than my uppers and I’m planning to dial them back to +2. I have my lowers at +4 which I’m finding a bit strong during single ball play since the update.

I went +2 on the lowers only, the rest on default.

Generally speaking I believe in the lowest amount of power bump you can get away with. Overpowered flippers can cause damage.

#8658 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I hear you man - I hope I don't see it either haha
Interesting story on how I upgraded to the CE. Someone reached out who enjoyed my recent TPN podcast appearance (where he heard me talking about trading up). Really nice guy - made the trade super simple and now I have the CE. Thanks TPN ; )

So you've now owned all three versions!

I think you'll enjoy the CE, the JDC callouts really are a breath of fresh air, and the other perks (radcals, sparkle etc) are super nice.

#8659 2 years ago

Also: there's a really deep and engaging game to master inside of the thing!
But I think you've gotten that since you keep buying it

#8703 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

Awesome thanks for the insight.
Also, want to make sure to thank zaphX , I meant to cite his original recommendation of +2 but it didn’t grab his post thread so want to give him a shout out as well for the recommendation and gameplay videos. Hobbyist’s sharing and helping in meaningful ways is what make this a great hobby so thanks to both of y’all.

Hey man I'm glad I was able to help Thanks for letting me know.

#8713 2 years ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

Play style question: does anyone use the two-stage feature of the flipper buttons during play to not activate the upper flippers? I mash the heck out of the buttons every time which activates the upper and lower, but seems easier to time the shots with a firm press. Curious if anyone has improved their scores by mastering a more finessed technique, or if it just a bit of a wasted feature.

It's useful for trapping balls on the bottom flippers while making shots with the top ones.

#8724 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

FOUR days go by...not a word.
Then today, this is the response I get. Great attitude and customer service from JJP. I love that I've been "dealt with." [quoted image]

No need to spam this here when you have a dedicated thread for "OMG CHOPPY ATTRACT MODEZ"

#8727 2 years ago

Just gonna leave this here: I’m on 1.37 and have no idea what this “choppy video.” is. My Wonka plays perfectly. And I love it.

I don't see it either, even in those slowed down videos. I guess that's a blessing!

1 week later
#8771 2 years ago

I'm surprised this hasn't been discovered yet!

If you haven't opted into beta updates you might want to consider it. A -huge- 2.0 update for Wonka just dropped.

The long and short of it is difficulty and balance changes and I can attest it makes the Wonka you love even better.

Wonka 2.0.pdfWonka 2.0.pdf
#8775 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Wow.... any bugs in the code or play ok?

Well it's beta, and beta means you might find bugs...but I think it plays great!

#8785 2 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

These are great changes, including a few (like the Kid Multiball carryover) that I had adjusted via custom settings anyway. This is a challenging enough game as it is but the difficulty really locked a lot of good content out for most owners.
This has convinced me to pick up a wireless dongle and try out the beta feature.

It really is terrific. It makes the major goals achievable, and the side quests worth doing.

#8796 2 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Waiting patiently for your twitch steam and youtube upload explaining the differences!

I'm going to redo the tutorial to update it for 2.0, and also do it without dropping any curse words so it can be a family-friendly version.

However that will not be today, I'm busy!

#8800 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I just connected to WiFi and I downloaded 1.38 now where can I find the beta code?
Thanks

You need to go into "advanced" in the network settings and opt in to betas. Then it will show up as an available download.

#8804 2 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Any folks on the beta chat group with JJP able to ask for option to increase ball save times in multiballs? Its so brutal for the kids when they get into Gobstopper MB and ball save is over in like 5 seconds. thanks! Best game ever and going to attempt 2.0 beta now!

2.0 increases the ball save times on the multiballs

#8839 2 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

Very true! I may still wait for the alpha I think.

Software guy here. The “alpha” already happened.

Alpha is a first cut (usually barely working) version of a software product.

Beta is when it transitions from “ok I think it works, let’s get it out to real people and see what I missed.”

The next step is general release once the beta period is deemed successful.

#8857 2 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

I installed the beta last night, WOW is it easier to score. I got 5 million on my first ball. Definitely more enjoyable.

I love it. Things happen quicker, progress is more attainable, and all of the ancillary "side quests" (non-GT modes) are now worth doing due to being better balanced point-wise.

1 month later
#9051 2 years ago

Hey folks.

I don't want to get too deep into this, as Pinside is about the games NOT about me, but I appreciate the many kind words that were sent to me via YouTube, Facebook, etc.

I am fine. I do have thick skin and the dickheads on Pinside who tried to run me off have no effect on me.

I just got beaten down by how depressingly negative the vibe got in here. It was all about playfields playfields playfields playfields for a while.

Nobody gave a shit about the amazing games/rules/shots/sounds/mechs put out into the world, they only cared about the tiny chips in the art.
It was bringing me down and making me negative on pinball so I took some time out. I may continue to do so.

Just wanted to drop in and alleviate any concerns about my well being as I am fine. I got a new car and I'm spending more time on that hobby than pins for a while, and it's frankly been nice.

1 week later
#9115 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

What did you do to stop your gobstopper floppy switch from getting stuck? That’s the only thing I haven’t been able to dial in.

Simple fix. Jam a tiny bit of e-tape into the switch body (where the arm comes out.). This firms it up, it stops flopping over the lip and you're good to go.

I did this to my CE and over 9000 plays later it has not recurred.

#9126 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippinJB:

My right flipper is weakening after ~30 minutes of play. I changed the coil sleeve, and that improved it a bit, but it still seems to do the same thing. Looks like it's the overheating problem. Does anyone know where I could get some flipper fans here in the UK? Anyone importing them?

On Wonka I find the flippers get weak during multiballs when the magnets are doing their thing. I bumped the lower flippers +2 each. This makes them a -bit- too strong in normal play, but just strong enough during multiballs. I've not needed fans on Wonka though I do think Guns needs them.

#9129 2 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

Hi All, Im a new owner of a WW. Looking at a test report it says ball trough #5 and #4 are stuck open. Game seems to play fine until a ball is physically locked: when I put a ball in the elevator. When I do this, 2 balls are released into the plunger lane. Any idea how to fix this? I have re-seated the wires to the optical board of the ball trough, but that didnt do it. Thanks! PS, first JJP too, so feeling like a newbie...

Trough board failure - I'd contact support.

#9132 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Has the revised code made this game easier?

Yes but also much more balanced. All of the modes are worth paying attention to now, where previously I ignored most everything but the GT quests.

One of my favorite improvements on the 2.0 code is that when you're in Kid MB, there are now visual indicators on the mini-screen for which kids you've gotten and which ones you still need. (Double/Super also indicated.)

#9154 2 years ago
Quoted from Goyomex:

Intuitively I think I’ve got a spring issue and need to replace it? But wanted to check in case I screwed something up with the slight adjustment to the flipper.
Thanks in advance. [quoted image]

If it's returning to the correct position when hit, it sounds like the spring is broken/disconnected. Does it move freely when manipulated by hand, or is it binding?

For everything there is to know about flippers:

#9160 2 years ago
Quoted from Goyomex:

However, when i hit a rather hard shot from the saucer up the camera ramp it will stick again. A tap or two on the flipper button and it retracts. So, I definitely have something binding

Ok, check that the plunger is moving cleanly in/out of the sleeve without attacking at an angle. Dialing in a flipper is a bit of a fiddly affair of a few variables:

- You want the flipper bat lined up correctly with the nearby guide
- You want the right amount of vertical play so it doesn't bind on the bushing
- You want the plunger to travel freely in and out of the sleeve without going in at an angle

If you have sleeves it certainly wouldn't hurt to replace it. Also check that the bushing is intact; sometimes flippers that can take hits to the tip will end up damaging the bushing over time. (I had poor performance from the upper left flipper in Wonka that I ultimately traced to a damaged bushing.)

#9165 2 years ago
Quoted from TonyScoots:

My ramp diverter is not working right, it seems to be diverting too slow and causing the ball to drop weird plus makes it impossible to make the super lock shot. I definitely now something is not right with it, any suggestions what it might be ?

If the ball is dropping at all, the diverter might not be the issue. I would check the kid magnet. This magnet can get pounded down on one side making a "shelf" that the ball can hang on, or at least pause on for a moment before rolling on.

The fix is to replace it or at least remove it and grind the lug down to be flat again.

#9167 2 years ago
Quoted from TonyScoots:

Checked the magnet, it’s perfect. It’s the diverter, I read a post while back where someone loosened the four screws on the coil ramp and adjusted the position. I have to give it a try because there’s definitely something different with it! I had the Wonka LE before upgrading to a CE and the diverter on the le was smooth like butter this CE it’s slow and sometimes missing

Well that's a hell of a thing. Is the diverter scraping/binding? I'd remove the butter box and get an idea what's going on in there.

#9178 2 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

Seems that beta 5 spots you 2 kids for kid multi-ball, is there a menu option to change that?

I haven't seen that. It spots you 2 gobstoppers though?

#9183 2 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

Yep, first and second, two of the gobstoppers are sitting on the kid disc's on the main screen, beginning of the game?

Yeah so those indicators are for gobstopper multiball. THey don't have anything to do with Kid Multiball.

#9193 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I’ve got a Wonka CE and had an EHOH SLE. Both are great games. Based on the fact that I still have Wonka, I ultimately like it better, but EHOH is very good.

Wonka has an unbelievable amount of staying power, doesn't it?

#9226 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Was hoping the new code wld become official by now.. guess I'll have to get a wifi dongle and try beta

It's a game changer (no pun intended.)

#9228 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

In a good way right?

Without question.

Things happen more readily. All the "side quests" are now rewarding enough to pay attention to. The game is much more fun while still being the Wonka we know and love.

#9236 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Do you know is Beta 6 the same thing as 2.0? I assume it shows Beta 6 for those in the program. Thanks

Yes, same thing. I shut beta off and downloaded from the mainline.

#9237 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Hi there
Wonka SE owner and just updated to 1.38.Can somebody post pics and info of what I need to get off Amazon to go wireless Bluetooth and wi-fi for updates please

You can download it to USB from JJP's site.

#9239 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Any specific reason why or did you just want to see 2.0 up there

I figure more beta releases are unlikely for a while so I wanted to go to general release.

#9245 2 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

WOW, tons of changes.

It really is. It plays like a whole new game while still being mostly the same rules/strategy.

#9256 2 years ago
Quoted from Goyomex:

Is there a material difference between Beta 6 and update 2.0? Didn’t realize I needed to turn off the Beta update flag and download Beta 6 v. 2.0.

No, they are the same. It's just a question of if you feel like hopping off the beta train or not.

#9274 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

zaphX
I think it’s time for an updated tutorial stream on 2.0. I always enjoy your approach on explaining what’s new

Honestly the strategies remain mostly the same. Some of the penalties (like losing your collected kids if you drain, kid super blocking other kid jackpots etc) have been adjusted out.

Even so, I've been thinking about redoing the tutorial for 2.0...also correct the audio glitches, try and watch my cursing so it's kid-friendly, etc.

#9309 2 years ago

Can you still work the spinner for Wonka bars, after hitting the upper left filler shot?

If you turn that feature on. It's not on by default, but you DO get a brief super spinner hit when you start Kid MB.

#9319 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

Would love to understand the best way to play "collect bonus". What's the strategy to get most points? Thanks in advance.

The best way to do this:

- Don't collect bonus unless you have 200 bars or more
- Don't collect bonus until a superX is also available on the saucer shot
- Don't collect bonus until you've banged the gobstopper to increase BonusX

When executed optimally you can have multiple million points off this single shot. Imagine 300+ bars with 5X super AND 8X bonus multipliers!

How to avoid collecting it? When you see it qualified and you're not ready, hit the captive ball to toggle a different orange saucer option.

#9327 2 years ago
Quoted from TonyScoots:

Do you find it harder to collect over 200 bars in the new 2.0 ? Seems harder to do now

Yep! Balance. Some things buffed, some things nerfed.

#9334 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Downloaded and played 2.0 last night.....wow. Played for an hour straight and it was midnight before I knew it. Really enjoyed all the new content, especially the video assets, callouts, and the flow with the additional modes just made things so much better. Damn - wonka 2.0 is significantly different than release. I keep on hearing how stranger things code is so much better and really helps that game. I drank the kool aid and played it recently - to me, same ol game which isn't bad but wasn't a big deal to me.
This update? Now this is a real deal update. Good job jjp. Now let's change that end of ball high pitch chime (counting your points) and we're golden. With my CE, the terrible call outs from grandpa are downplayed b/c of the additional girl (VS) call outs so that addresses my other big complaint.

I'm really glad you like it Delt. I know you've had some ups and downs with this game but I think it's really well done, and the 2.0 overhaul makes it less frustrating and more fun while still retaining the same general rules.

Try Kandy Code 102307!

#9346 2 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Where is the best place to get a really good rule set? Trying to figure out how to get Golden Tickets...

It's a little bit dated after 2.0 but the basic rules for tickets remain.

#9369 2 years ago

Huh. I've been on 2.0 for a very long time and haven't had that diverter issue. Are you sure Super Lock was lit? The rules for how frequently it is lit have definitely changed.

#9371 2 years ago
Quoted from Nameim:

My Wonkavator lock diverter is also “wonky”. The diverter does not open fully, allowing the ball to slip by. I also wonder if it is code related….

Are we talking about the diverter that makes the ball go into the Wonkavator / around to the pops?
Or the one that releases balls from the Wonkavator?

What's your coil setting for that diverter, does it show green (default?)

#9394 2 years ago
Quoted from SuperMas77:

My Wonkavator is not releasing the balls properly. This has been a new and recurring theme since 2.0 code was updated. Is anyone else having this issue or may it just be coincidence and something else is the culprit??
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pC1raqRKCHWqtyeu6

Coincidence...at least, I see no issue with mine.

What happens in coil test if you trigger that Wonkavator release post?

#9396 2 years ago
Quoted from SuperMas77:

Exactly what happens in the video. The release fires but doesn't seem to hold long enough to release the balls. I upped the hold time in coil settings and that doesn't seem to help either.

Sorry, I thought that was a photo! It looks like *maybe* the plunger is not pulling back far enough. Is there anything obstructing it from behind?

Is there any chance mods are blocking the ball travel?

Is there any chance the balls are magnetized and sticking in there more than they should?

Just spitballing ideas.

#9399 2 years ago
Quoted from SuperMas77:

Don't see anything blocking the ball travel or pull on the plunger from behind. Mods are clear of release area.
I hadn't thought about any magnetization. Balls are new within the last 2 months and I only put a dozen or so plays on it a week. Haven't noticed any magnetization in trough area either. They are the Ninja premium balls and first time I have used them. Do these magnetize quicker than other brands?

I haven't used Ninja premiums personally but they appear to be chromed and yes, chromed balls magnetize quickly in games that make heavy use of magnets.
If you have the originals or another set to try, I'd see if that helps.

I use the "standard" balls from Titan: https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=57&product_id=69

That said, rrosenhouse has a good suggestion and see if increasing the coil hold time helps.

#9402 2 years ago
Quoted from SuperMas77:

I haven't checked the level in awhile, but it was releasing just fine until recent code update.
rrosenhouse - what setting did you adjust your wonkavator coil hold to?

Get a paper clip - does it stick to the balls? If so, magnetized.
I am increasingly suspecting this as the case now that I know you're running chromed balls.

#9414 2 years ago
Quoted from TonyScoots:

I have a new Wonka CE with about 400 plays, the family absolutely loves it and plays it everyday! Is there any preventative measures we should take as far as playfield pooling and other important things to do before we keep on playing? I didn’t see any sticky threads on this! So I figured it’s best to ask the forum

Just play it. Wonka CE playfields were pretty good.

#9428 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

Is everyone else getting over 50% SDTM out of the pop bumpers ? Is there an adjustment to combat this?

Part of the charm of Wonka I'm afraid Exiting the left orbit is a real danger, gotta be ready to slap the machine on the way out.

It still bites me a lot.

1 week later
#9470 2 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Joined the club today. Notice that the game is really dark with lights off. Did someone already adds spotlights or something and can share pictures ?
Thanks

Any of the LED spots burned out?

#9472 2 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Not sure, what spots do you mean ?

White LEDs. There's one near the Wonka tower, one that shines on the gobstopper, etc. See page C-92 in the wonka manual.

#9475 2 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Ok found them, really not noticeable . But the back of the machine and the middle of the Mainplayfield are really dark compared to my other machines.

Ok. I wanted to make sure the GI was working first - since it appears to be, if you still want more light I guess it's time for pinstadiums.

#9481 2 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

I just wiped out and reinstalled 2.0.
This time I did not restore previous settings and I did not install WiFi or configure Scorebit.
The mechanism seems to be behaving properly now but only played for a few minutes. I’ll keep testing after adding WiFi. Then test after re-enabling scorebit and see if anything goes haywire.

I really believe you have a hardware issue in play here. I've been running 2.0 for months and months and have never seen this behavior.

I take it back, I did see that behavior early on in the ownership of this machine, on the original code. The set screw for the Gobstopper was loose. I tightned that up, added a tiny amount of lithium grease to the black plastic gear, and it never failed again.

#9483 2 years ago

I have to brag on my wife...

Susan just got 28.4M on Wonka, GC’d the machine, FOUR golden tickets! Most Secret Machine mode!

Our best progress to date on the game after ~9200 plays (and ~5000 on the Wonka SE that preceded it.)

We're going to do a very special stream for the 10000th play.

#9492 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Hey All
Not installed 2.0 yet, how does it play?
I’m thinking of selling my CE to make room
For Godzilla..
But I’m not sure..

Install 2.0 before you make this decision. It dramatically improves balance and gameplay.

#9515 2 years ago
Quoted from JDHHoover:

I like the new scorbit additions. Especially the machine using the scorbit ID to pre-populate your high score name.

Note that this uses the "Display Name" field to populate. We use DEREK and SUSAN for scores in our house, so I changed the display name from ZAPHX to DEREK.

#9546 2 years ago

Kinda surprised by the new run of Wonkas, but very glad more people can enjoy this game. If you passed on it initially it's worth another look with the 2.0 code.

1 week later
#9648 2 years ago

Save the date! Susan and I will be playing our 10,000th game on Wonka CE.

WonkaStrim.jpgWonkaStrim.jpg

And for those who asked, yes Susan will be in that costume for the occasion.

#9651 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

And what will you be wearing?

Well...I'm not as pretty as Susan. I would not make a sexy Oompa Loompa.

#9667 2 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Ok I ask Barry, but didn’t get response till now. Can I ask what the sculpture cost ? And wheee I can buy the ramp shield
Thanks

When you order the shield also make sure you order the post/spacer to support it.

#9687 2 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

3 questions for now. First, my wife would like me to install the left outlane post, is there supposed to be a rubber on it? Second, after coming through the popups we get a lot of sdtm drains, any adjustments? Third, I can seem to pick up my wifi, scans for a second then nothing, any tips?

1. No, if you add one the ball will get stuck.
2. Normal for Wonka, sorry! Gotta nudge on the way out of the pops and it's a killer.
3. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#9706 2 years ago

NOTE NEW DATE!

We had to move the Sexy Oompa Loompa 10K play stream to next weekend, as we're not there yet on the playcount.

Please join us next Saturday night instead:

WonkaStrim.jpgWonkaStrim.jpg
#9720 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

The guy is asking for advice and you made a definitive – cut and dry – statement.
How about this: If you're trying to weigh between NIB or used, look at pricing but also consider that anything you buy used you can inspect for any flaws or defects. Based on the last few games, you might open a NIB game and find playfield issues... or, you might not. Know way of knowing.

And you might buy a used game that looks nice and develops issues later.
This is just smalltownguy2 taking yet another opportunity to beat his playfield drum.

#9722 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I thought you left.
Yes, playfields for the past 3 years are all at risk. Buyer beware. Do NOT buy NIB.

Or do. And don't let it rule your life.

#9774 2 years ago
IMG_0481 (resized).jpegIMG_0481 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#9864 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Its awesome to do Wonka office, what a work of art this machine truly is. the integration with the movie works so well.

I know. It's laughable that people ripped this game for not having movie integration. The integration is amazing.

2 weeks later
#10004 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I still like these the best. I have a set at home. But ive ruined so many, even these exact ones, that im hesitant to try again. I need to try the "wet method" next time....
https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/willy-wonka-gameblades

I ruined a set too, retried with the wet method (using Rapid-Tac) and it went great.

#10006 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Thank you for this... there is hope! lol

I resisted the wet method, I always felt like it would weaken the adhesive or something. But it doesn't, and it's super easy to eff up the positioning on the blades doing them dry. You start on one end and it looks great, then by the time you get to the other end a small error is magnified and things don't line up.

#10049 2 years ago

Disregard, thought I was in the guns thread!

1 week later
#10140 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Thanks. In a sort of pinball buying paralysis right now because of how awesome Wonka is. I like everything about Hobbit except the longer game times. Trying to avoid another Stern for various reasons, only one I'd currently consider is Tron or Godzilla Premium but that seems impossible given demand. Family still really wants a Hobbit.

Why fear the long ball times? Don't you like playing pinball?

Hobbit is a good counterpoint to Wonka after getting beaten up too badly.

#10154 2 years ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

EDIT: I ran the shaker motor test sequence this morning; no errors or issues (the test runs for about 7 or 8 seconds). Still thinking it is the code update.

I have not seen this. In fact the code has substantially more effects, such as loud farting during the Wonka Wash.

#10164 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

I'm seeing some smudges on the Wonkavision LCD. How do I remove the clear plastic as its on the other side of it and needs to be removed to clean it. Thanks.

Check out page C-28 in the manual. It looks like 2 screws to remove the assembly, then some screws to remove the front fascia.

And afterwards, be sure to contribute to the Butch Peel Appreciation thread - he did manuals like nobody else.

#10166 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Thanks. Got it. Not too bad. Had to replace the clear plastic as it had some scratches on the inside. Glad I had a nice size sheet to cut down and use in its place.

I really want to find a suitable replacement for that LCD. The one in my Wonka is super washed out and crappy. The one in Guns is exponentially better.

#10175 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I’m still rolling ver.1.38 Is there a big difference if I update code?

Plays like an entirely new game, everything better balanced and more fun. Absolutely recommended.

1 week later
#10194 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

So apparently I've lost my mind. Got a couple of pictures of the new LE's, and its the same as the CE, although haven't had anybody complain about the same issue. Maybe they made that switch arm longer. I'm not sure what I thought I saw.
Anybody with a new LE have the issue with the switch arm/roller coming over the target bracket on top?

That issue was always loose/floppy microswitch arm. They either changed part vendors or changed install procedure to stop breaking it on install, I'd guess.

2 weeks later
#10271 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnJ1366:

My 13 year old destroyed my high score by a country mile. Final score was 43 million. Best I had done was 3 golden tickets. He got all 5 and got to pure imagination. That was really cool to see and not really sure who was more excited. At least I still rule the roost on GNR

First off, that's impressive! Wow! Well done.

I have to ask, not to diminish the win but to salve our own bruised egos over here...was that on stock settings? Inlane posts on the right moved? Cheater post on left installed?

#10285 2 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

I rarely ever look at the tv on the playfield…how about you all?

You should, at least during Kid Multiball. It shows you which of the 7 kid shots you've made and which you still need for the golden ticket.

#10289 2 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Following your handy tutorial I have made it to PI three times on stock settings over about 1 year of ownership (although never got past phase 1 of PI which was so frustrating!). I did move inlane posts to easiest. Not sure about cheater post? DO you mean move the leftside post into that spot where the black cap was? Yes I did that too. Much more fun IMO! Currently 53 mill GC.

Awesome, glad you're having fun! That's what it's all about.

I would love to move the inlane posts but my wife insists on doing things in hard mode.

#10291 2 years ago
Quoted from whoknowsgoi:

my left ramp shot can be clunky if not hit dead on, any tips for correcting this?

Hrm. That's a really smooth shot, normally.

How many plays? Have you ever changed the flipper coil sleeves? Are the flippers aligned to the ball guides using a straightedge?

#10294 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Please, no one mention pinstadium either.

That's the only way I know of. Turn on the room lights?

#10311 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Metal leg protectors sound horrible! I'm sure they work great, but metal -seems- like the last thing I'd want in there. And very opposite of the felt set it came with. But again, I'm sure they'd be fine.[quoted image]

The felt work fine, if your game wobbles or squeaks you just need to tighten the leg bolts a bit more.

Leave the felts in, they protect your art.

#10322 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnJ1366:

Having a few glitching issues. Have searched this forum and either these glitches are new (not likely) or I’m a nob and can’t find the post addressing them (most likely)
First one has happened 4x now. All the lights turn white and stay white (no flashing no color change) - the first time I played through and got a decent score and attribute that to no “blinking” lights. The last time it happened I went into menu / tests / LEDs / all - and when I cycled through the colors (white, red, green, blue) - all the lights stayed white.
Only way I have found to fix it is turn off and on the machine.
Second glitch - is gobstopper error - it’s happened a few times and the error message reads opto error. The the gobstopper hole cycles through and stops in out of position locations. I have gone into menu and moved it with no results. My fix has been to jiggle the wires under the gobstopper (they are the opto wires and the optos are clean / clear / not obstructed)- I have traced them back the board and see no issues. so no real idea of what’s causing the error or what I’m doing to actually “fix” it. Cause in my very limited technical experience “jiggling” wires isn’t really a fix.
Any thoughts or ideas I’m game. Besides putting on a chicken suit and dancing in the street. Tired that one once and doesn’t work.

There is a black USB cable that plugs into the motherboard and into a main light board (with all the ethernet cables sprouting from it.) I would make sure it’s well seated on both ends as a start to troubleshooting.

#10400 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

My game is making this constant knocking noise that interrupts the game sound:

Any suggestions? This game was just unboxed a few days ago.

Man that's a weird one. I would definitely hit up support for assistance, that seems beyond the normal debug/tweaks.

#10425 2 years ago
Quoted from flipperstick:

Can LTG still offer his own personal support?

Would you want to?

#10435 2 years ago
Quoted from RandomRetro:

When my machine arrive the flippers were not aligned. My belief is the right flipper is to low. What’s the best way to align them; straight edge on top of return lane guide?
[quoted image]

That’s what I do, yep.

#10443 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

Odds are high with the position of the ramp and that post rubber. I’d adjust the ramp a touch to the left and remove the rubber from that post - it shouldn’t be there.
[quoted image]

It shipped with one on my Wonka SE and CE both. And it's on page C-120 in the Wonka manual.

#10469 2 years ago

Those magnets cause lots of unexpected ball yanks. You'll see them in multiballs mostly.

#10479 2 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

Cliffy question, I installed my kit and I am having an issue with the carbon fiber ring around the kid multiball magnet and the ball getting stuck on it. It gets stuck 8 out of 10 times when dropping down from the left ramp. Have to shake it loose every time. Anyone else have this issue? Should I just remove it?

Unless it just started with the cliffy install, it might not be the cliffy - it might be the magnet itself.

It gets banged down on one side over time, causing a ball shelf. Replacement or at least grinding it flat again is the fix.

#10493 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Remove the rubber. JJP says it shouldn't be there, but some are still shipping with it.

Hard disagree. That rubber is critical to gameplay! Coupled with an up nudge it gets the ball out of that trouble zone.

It's there for a reason.

EDIT: if you have the cheater post installed, you're not gonna left drain anyway so I could see removing it in this case.

#10501 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

It's hard to consider it critical to gameplay when you have to stop and shake the machine to free the ball. I'd LOVE it if the rubber functioned correctly and wasn't a problem. But when JJP says "That post to the left" (the inlane post in question) "is not supposed to have a rubber on it. It was deleted by engineering for that reason." and it's getting hung up on multiple machines (including mine, see several recent posts), I'd agree with JJP and remove it. But if yours is working great, fantastic. In fact, I kinda want the cheater post in too because of the increased ability to nudge with it.

If the ball is sticking between the post and sling, you just need to tug the sling rubber around the corner a bit to make it tighter in the lane.

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 10.52.40 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-01-17 at 10.52.40 AM (resized).png
#10506 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

This could be why, after I tightened my sling bolts, it was never an issue again. The rubber must have gotten tighter..

I only know this because the issue just happened to me recently I did some maintenance and afterward I was getting a stuck ball there which never happened in 11K games.

I pulled the rubber to the right over the top post and problem solved.

#10512 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

When the fix from JJP was that it shouldnt have any rubber, I found that very odd. When do we ever really see a bare metal post in a pinball game?

Especially since that rubber is a ball saver when nudged right!

BTW GNR does ship with this post bare.

#10524 2 years ago

Stackable:

Slugworth MB
Kid MB
Gobstopper MB

Non-Stackable:

Wonkavator MB

#10558 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Been having issues with gobstopper hole myself. It’s rotating an extra 90 degrees. I can go in to menu and manually move it back to correct position.. then it happens again.
I read through this thread abc confirmed my gears are not loose or falling down and the Allen nut seemed fine.
Anyone have this as well? Doesn’t seem like same issue previously reported

Hmm...to brainstorm possible causes here:

- Gear slippage on rotation (you've eliminated that)
- Motor failure unrelated to gear slippage (unlikely as it wouldn't rotate in test either)
- Excess friction inhibiting rotation (I put a VERY small amount of white lithium grease on the gear for this)
- Software bug (unlikely, we'd all be seeing it)
- Opto not detecting where the disc is
- Opto message not making it back to the board logic (broken wire, harness not seated well, something like that)

On the underside of the gobble hole mech (C-34 in the manual) there is a small tab that points down from the gear and passes through the opto. Is the opto clean/unobscured? Any other debris getting in there? Tab on the gear still intact?

#10560 2 years ago
Quoted from rogerdodger:

Try a factory reset and let us know if that takes care of it.

The disc appears to recalibrate every bootup though.

#10575 2 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

So far it seems no one knows how to end or collect ransom value. I only noticed that the ransom value could be raised by hitting certain shots(can't remember which). I did not have time to see any more about it before I lost the ball in play.

Set the ransom value by bashing the gobstopper target, then collect it at the lit ramp. It moves, if I remember right.

#10588 2 years ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

Minimal in my opinion ... a few times during a long session with multiball going the balls have had a LITTLE bit more difficulty going up the ramps, but not enough for me to want to "fix" it. This is a total guess, but if I had to pick a numbers I would say I have never seen more than a 10% reduction in power. For a great player this could be a big deal. For me (total novice) it hardly makes any difference. But that solution looks pretty cool (no pun intended)!

I found that when the magnets are active, the flippers are weak. I set the bottom two to +2 which worked out nicely for my power situation here.

#10590 2 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

Interesting. I am going to try to watch more closely for this when all magnets are going. My flippers at still at default but feel just right to me.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

#10596 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I wonder if they feel weak because the magnets are possibly slowing the balls down? You're screaming "Why can't I make that ramp?" while the magnets gleefully snicker down below...

Hmm. Maybe? I never thought about it. I always just assumed the additional power draw was the culprit.

#10607 2 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

How very sad that you can't call those naughty kids a Brat today. Wake up Dahl family! Wait a minute, sounds like they are "woke".

God please don't bring your politics into pinball.

#10660 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

Having an issue. The bottom pop-bumper (next to Gobstopper) is not going off every time. It definitely works but I noticed that is is not near as sensitive as the other two bumpers. Any advice?

#10673 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Fixed that for you.

This thread wouldn't be the same without the world's unhappiest Wonka owner chiming in.

#10675 2 years ago
Quoted from prentice:

What should I even be looking for? I’ve got 3 JJPs and hear a lot of playfield complaints but haven’t noticed anything. Am I not looking in the right place? Are there typical pictures of the issues? Thanks

If you don't see them don't go looking for them. Why make yourself unhappy?

#10679 2 years ago
Quoted from rogerdodger:

Hi Guys:
New Wonka owner here and what an amazing game!
When the machine says 'shoot the TV', where is the TV? I have looked high and low on the playfield but I can't find the TV. What am I missing?
Thanks.
Roger

The wonkavision in the upper right. It's a big TV.

#10683 2 years ago
Quoted from rogerdodger:

Thanks, guys....
I had a feeling the TV might be the Wonkavision but why does the machine say 'shoot the TV' and, at other times 'shoot Wonkavision' if they are one of the same thing?

Sometimes it's the left shot and sometimes it's the saucer shot. I don't know which is which, I don't rely on the callouts for shots.

1 week later
#10702 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Playfield swap?
Also, I find it interesting that on your screen it shows your machine number "42". I dont recall mine doing that ever. Not sure how to do it actually, figuring when you install a code, its for everyone and not specific.

It's somewhere in settings, you enter your game number and it will show up in the attract mode.

#10710 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I'm still confused as to what the candy cluster LEDs represent. Is there a solid explanation somewhere on how to interpret what's going on with the candy cluster LEDs?

When flashing, the magnets in them are active.

#10713 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

OK... But I read something somewhere about how they fill up when hitting stand up targets and when they're full, it lights extra ball. Is that true? They also have different colors... I just have very little sense of how to interpret them. I wish there was a definitive explanation of the rules by JJP.

AFAIk the colors mean nothing. I think you're right about the target hits for EB though.

#10717 2 years ago
Quoted from Meri-cah:

Just set up my new build Wonka LE. Built 12/2021.
Question….. my sound in very very tinny. Very high pitch. No bass and very uncomfortable to listen to. Couldn’t find anywhere in the settings for sounds control. I have WoZ and DI along with several other machines and none sound this terrible.
Does Wonka just have horrible audio or anyone think there’s a problem? All speakers are working, just very high treble in all including the sub

It shouldn't be THAT bad. I would make sure the audio cable is well seated in the motherboard (behind the monitor.)

#10720 2 years ago
Quoted from Meri-cah:

I have sound. And when I go into test menu and choose each sound I can hear it. Just very faint.
I have an extra powered sub. What’s the best way to hook it into JJP games? I’ve only done it with my sterns.
Thanks fellas. Appreciate all the help.

Something is not right if it's very faint.

My suggestions of things to look at:

- Pull the bezel and pull the monitor forward
- Confirm the audio jack is firmly seated in the motherboard and in the right hole
- Check the audio filter (right side of the backbox) - is it also plugged in securely at both ends? Does bypassing it improve the sound but add noise? If so replace it.
- Check the audio feeding into the amplifier (inside the silver box, leftmost board) - plugged in securely there also?
- Does audio work properly from headphones plugged into the front panel audio jack?

#10727 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Even the multiball add-a-ball isn't accurately documented anywhere. "Hitting the Wonka Tower" works...sometimes. When? Well, we can't give away ALL the secrets...

When it's lit green. This happens once per multiball AFAIK.

#10730 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I work for a software company and I'm familiar with the software development process/cycle. I wonder how they develop the software for these games. Clearly there must be a lot of planning to coordinate all of the visuals and playfield components and rules and etc... But it also feels like they're just winging it to some degree. Does each game have a requirements document that spells out how each part of the game is supposed to work? As I work in documentation, we often use the requirements documents as a basis for the official documentation.
JJP... Hire some more technical writers for the code!

Documented pretty well I'd say.

D4DxqqrW4AA1gZk.jpegD4DxqqrW4AA1gZk.jpeg
#10732 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

That's just it. I haven't seen this info in any walkthrough, let alone anything from JJP. AFAIK should be "this is how it is", but we're generally not being told that. Of course, I might have figured out the green requirement faster if I wasn't color blind!

I find it's sad that there are developers that put in the effort to program something like "Hitting the Wonka tower gives you an add-a-ball, but only if it's green" and then that info is never conveyed to the end user. My wife guessed that it's intentional so the players can have the adventure of figuring it out as they go, but I'd also like the option of a complete walkthrough. Maybe I'm making something out of nothing. Even my car manual says "Hold this button down, and this special thing happens"...even though no one (but me) reads it.

I guess I enjoy figuring those details out. One note about the green, it's thematically consistent for JJP to use green. The POTC add-a-ball color for the inlane award was the same shade.

#10734 2 years ago
Quoted from prentice:

It’s a phenomenal game, and that chart gives the high level view, but there is a ton of information omitted even from that chart. The website linked earlier contains some of those omissions, but not all. Let’s be honest here.
I get confused when it says shoot for flashing white green, for example, but I see flashing green yellow or some other combination.

Have you seen my tutorial video? It's a little out of date (they relaxed some of the things that made it super difficult) but the overall goals/rules are the same.

#10737 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I would actually use this as an example of how poorly it is documented. This extremely convoluted flow chart shows pathways to get to certain modes, but offers no explanation of what the modes are... What is the objective of each mode? What happens during the mode? How many balls? Which targets do what during the mode? Etc etc etc.
Even the details that are there are ambiguous. The inlanes are merged into a single group with possible outcomes with no indication of which inlanes lead to which outcomes, when they lead to the outcome, how inlanes are lit...
Maybe it's just because I work in documentation but I find this stuff really frustrating.

You make solid points. The POTC manual had an entire section dedicated to gameplay, how to set off the 6 multiballs, how the inlane awards work, etc. Wonka didn't have that.

#10745 2 years ago

My headphone jack does not work on my CE and the volume control is wired backwards.

That's gotta be simple, something not plugged in right.

#10752 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I read and hear so much about the pops being brutal in this game and going SDTM. Am I the only one that doesn’t experience that? I feel like my game is magical haha.
Also - dumb question of the day but I know you hit the right shot under the tv to start modes but is it just random for them to be selected? I know I also hit that shot (when it’s blinking red) to get those random benefits that are printed on the paper and ripped off on the display but to actually qualify a mode and have it pop up to start - what exactly requires that?
I often find myself being able to go through all of those modes, get two tickets, start wonka’s office but then I’m back and not really sure what’s next. I’m sure it’s restarting and achieving kid MB and gb mb to get tickets right? Do folks often find themselves having those left to proceed more through the game or is there a better strategy….?

1. Do a full plunge or a hard right orbit shot and you'll experience it

2. The selected modes are not random and you can control which one(s) you will start:

- Shooting the factory ramp qualifies the blue factory mode. Shooting it when qualified will cycle through the modes before you start.
- Shooting the captive ball qualifies the orange mode. Shooting it when qualified will cycle through the modes before you start.
- Shooting the orbit toggles qualifies the pink SuperX mode. Shooting it when qualified will cycle through the superX modes before you start.

As for the "computer paper" modes, I believe those follow a set cycle.

Your golden tickets are:

- Kid MB (review my video for details on this, you must be mindful of which kids are active and what the kid jackpot shots are)
- Gobstopper MB
- Factory modes
- Wonkavator
- Gobstopper (a "gimme")

You can always visit instant info to check on your progress against each ticket.

#10787 2 years ago
Quoted from prentice:

Attaching a picture of the incorrect factory wiring. You can see the pattern of correct locations for the black wire is not the same for the camera LED. I was able to gently pull the black wire out and stick back into the correct spot as seen on these other two connectors. [quoted image]

Excellent troubleshooting!

#10789 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

On the subject of the camera, what qualifies it to take your picture? And what does it mean when your picture floats on the wonkavision screen?

Shooting the camera ramp when the red light on the camera is on.

It doesn't mean anything, it's just representing sucking you into the Wonkavision like the movie.

#10793 2 years ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

Fact: the JJP camera adds roughly 20 pounds and 20 years. Only explanation I have for the horrible photos of some grumpy looking old man that keeps getting high scores on my machine.

Hehe Can confirm.

The problem is that it takes the photo when you're concentrating on other things, making it hard to pose for a good one.

#10795 2 years ago
Quoted from prentice:

Anyone else experienced this buzzing issue? Also it appears that the diverter just barely moves, even though it works as intended despite that limited motion. (I don't know what it normally looks like when diverting, though.)
https://imgur.com/a/M9kWd9r

Any chance the mod is interfering with motion?

Some buzzing is normal when it's engaged but I'm pretty sure mine moves further down.

#10807 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

I try to be very intentional about not starting Kid Multiball until I've qualified them all, and usually go for Wonkavator multiball first.

You might consider breaking them up. Here's why.

If you start all 5 kids at once, you need to make all 5 kid jackpot shots, the double and the super. If you don't, it will be quite a while before you get another shot at the kid golden ticket.

We try and mix 1-2 kids with Gobstopper, giving us fewer kid shots to focus on at once, and more chances at the double/super to secure the kid ticket.

#10821 2 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

It's hard to say but before this last run of NIB, Wonka was a scorching hot commodity. Prices were going up and everyone wanted one once they sold out. My Distro couldn't sell his last two Wonkas for a while. Until nobody had them. Now they're making an LE run, granted for a lot more money than the previous LE price, and interest is strangely lower. I think when all NIB are done interest will be a tad crazy again. I would still say Wonka is a desired game for many right now. The game is solid and not going anywhere as far as being a top game. A lot of people pre ordered GnR and waited a long time. People somewhat unfairly harping on JJP for playfield issues when every company has them. There's a lot of factors but mainly I think interest will be high when all NIB are gone.

Wonka is a lot like POTC.

If you listen to Pinside, you snub the game. "It doesn't have audio on the video clips!" "it sounds like a slot machine" etc etc. Typical Pinside haterade.

Then you play the game and realize it's extremely well made, has some of the most well designed code/goals, and really great longevity.

Never listen to Pinside.

#10852 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just curious, I heard the new 2.0 code made the game a bit more accessible. Does the new code make the game easier and if so has anyone adjusted the settings to increase difficulty? I still want an experience where its rather difficult to gain all of the Golden Tickets and get to the final wizard mode. I enjoy having games where it may take me years, if ever, to get to a final wizard mode.

Yes it's easier, but it's downgraded from "impossible" to "possible with a lot of work."

It's still quite difficult to get to the end. We have over 11K plays and my wife has gotten 4 golden tickets twice.

Don't worry, the challenge is still there...it's just better balanced and a lot more fun.

#10860 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Great to hear, thank you. That's awesome you have so many plays on your Wonka! Have you found it easier to collect all the golden tickets with the latest update?
Does anyone know what the higher difficulty presets do and if they set the game back to the difficulty level pre 2.0 update?

Well, we played for almost 2 years and never exceeded 2 tickets.
After 2.0 we've seen 3 tickets a few times and 4 tickets twice. So easier but not blindingly so.

BTW I was a beta tester on 2.0, enter candy code 102307!

#10919 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

LE #503 has arrived! Haven’t set it up yet but so far everything looks great. Wonka is either the heaviest game I’ve ever moved next to Hobbit or I’m severely out of shape (yes) as damn is that one heavy ass game to move! I moved it downstairs using an Escalera which was a bit nerve racking with the balance point. As soon as I got it down I opened a beer lol.
[quoted image]

Moving Wonka SE downstairs on an Escalera damn near took me with it. I lost balance, the buyer was outside in his car, and I was hanging on for dear life hoping not to lose game, self, and drywall.

I now consider going downstairs much more dangerous than going upstairs and I always have someone spotting me to correct the balance point if needed.

#10936 2 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

Having issues with the gobstopper switch getting stuck. Tried bending the switch a little tighter but it still not flexing enough to activate the switch. Tried tightening the spring a bit too with no resolution. Any ideas?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I had that issue. For me the arm on the microswitch was too floppy/loose, bouncing above the actuator.

I fixed it by jamming a small amount of e-tape into the switch body where the arm comes out, using a small flathead driver.

The problem never happened again!

#10940 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Just had a game at 23 million with three golden tickets. I kind of feel like I've peaked on this game and will never do that well again.

I had my best game ever Saturday night...16.6M and 4 tickets. Close to the 5th.

Didn't even get on the board as my wife has dominated it. 20M is the barrier to entry.

#10957 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Wonka CE - 1300 or so plays (95% me), 33M high score (yesterday!), no playfield issues, and my favorite game for quite some time (in a pretty stacked collection). Probably time for a little maintenance - right ramp switch doesn’t register every time (just a matter of bending the switch blade properly), saucer is starting to not recognize the ball (I’d say 5% of the time, anybody know if this is a real switch or opto?), and ball is hanging on left inlane switch (some bending should fix this). Can’t believe this game isn’t in the top 10 (or even top 5), I can’t get enough.
Also, noticing some odd behavior on my right ramp. With a really solid shot, sometimes it reverse direction right at the top and comes back at me, anybody seen that? Also tonight for the first time the ball jumped straight ahead on the right ramp, over the left curve and up near the upper right flipper. That’s new too.

SAucer: It's an opto on a small PCB, clean it with alcohol.
Left inlane: You need cliffys on the inlanes if you don't have them already. Repeated ball drops dent and damage the wood over time.

#10964 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I find it very strange that JJP says the fix is just to leave it as bare metal. I find it extremely rare to see a bare metal post in a game.

Neither of my Wonkas shipped that way. Both had a rubber on that post. And it's critical to nudging the ball out of the danger zone there.

#10976 2 years ago
Quoted from SuperMas77:

No kidding, right?? How Wonka is not in the Top 10 baffles me. This game is so addictive and fun!

It's difficult and has complex, layered code. I guess it's too much for some.

The Pinside brigading when it launched didn't help. "It sounds like a slot machine" "It doesn't have audio on the video clips".

#10980 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Speaking of rules thank you for your Wonka tutorial on YouTube! My wife and I were watching it the other day, great and informative video. I love that Wonka has these 5 segmented objectives spread throughout the game, those being collecting the 5 Golden Tickets.
Unlocking modes and multiballs is a task in itself but having to collect all the tickets is a a whole ’nother layer of depth. Kid Multiball and the depth of that one mode are pretty crazy in a good way (wouldn't have understood it without your video). You can start Kid Multiball in 5 different states, having 1 kid qualified (or collected, another layer of depth) or up to 5. Then you need all 5 kids collected and then do well in the multiball to earn a Golden Ticket. Stuff like that is just awesome to see. Then you can toss in the strategy behind which modes to start with others which adds a lot of depth as well. Then add (yes there's more! lol) Wonkavator MB, Wonka's Office, Wonkatania, Oompa Loompa Odyssey, Wonka Bar Ransom, and the Pure Imagination super wizard mode. Damn there's a ton to do and unlock and it can all be done in different ways to blow up the game.

Hey thanks! I am glad it helped! I need to redo it for 2.0; the major rules are still the same but some of the nuances changed (for example, you don't lose collected kids now if you drain, and you can still make kid jackpot shots while the super is lit.)

2 weeks later
#11157 2 years ago

Got my game December 2019, lost one spotlight LED so far which I replaced. Ordered the full assembly from JJP (wire+LED)

#11184 2 years ago
Quoted from c818919taylor:

Has anyone's shooter rod hit the autoplunge? And how did you fix it?

3 screws for the shooter assembly, loosen and adjust so it's hitting the ball center. Confirm the autoplunger forks don't jump when you plunge.

#11186 2 years ago

Not perfect but far better. Thanks. Ill try again with the new shooter rod.

If you have an aftermarket shooter rod, skull mod etc I believe you'll need a shorter external spring.

#11193 2 years ago

Nope. Modelvisionary (Super Skill Shot Shooters) was dead on. Great product. Highly recommend. [quoted image]

I'm a dummy and confused Guns with Wonka.

#11206 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Anyone have any issues with leaving the black plastic cheater post plugs out and leaving the hole exposed? While I hate seeing the ball hit the plastic and change trajectory, I also don't want an exposed hole on the playfield especially if it could cause a problem. Which I don't think it would, because I don't think the ball would ever touch the actual hole.

I heard removing the cheater post plug will cause a stuck ball.

#11210 2 years ago

Thanks guys, you are too kind.

I'm just an obsessive dude who dives deeply into his hobbies, and wants to help others when he can.

#11217 2 years ago
Quoted from rob3:

Ha! I’ve already watched that like 7 times! Yes thank you!

You should also watch the Kid Multiball deep dive. That one has a lot of detail on how to get the kid golden ticket.

Some of the rules in it have been relaxed in the 2.0 code, but the shots are still the same.

#11226 2 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

Because your YouTube walkthrough is IMHO “the Bible” on understanding Wonka, I’ll ask…
Have you considered doing another walkthrough now that the code has been upgraded/finished?
A fair amount has changed and I’d love your fresh spin on it!
Asking for a friend…

Yes I have! Also to correct some of the technical glitches; the overlay views highlighting LCD sections didn't have sound at first, etc.

I'll get to it for sure.

#11250 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Has anyone installed the Pingraffix side blades and can you do it without lifting out the entire playfield? That thing looks real heavy

Yes, twice. I balanced it on the furthest stops.

#11265 2 years ago
Quoted from Polidori:

Received our new WW LE yesterday and have a noob question about the wonkavator.
Played a friend's WW a few weeks ago and saw lots of balls going up the 'vator, but we have 40 games on ours already and have never had a ball go up the wonkavator. Tech support guy at JJP said that it's very rare to get balls up the elevator so he thinks it's normal not to have it happen very often.

Very rare? I'd disagree with that. Any time Super Lock is lit and you make the upper left flipper shot it should lock one.

I would check the settings and make sure "virtual locks" is not enabled by accident; that setting is for SE machines that don't have the wonkavator mech.

1 week later
#11301 2 years ago
Quoted from HomerEBW:

I just got my Wonka LE Cliffy delivered. This is my first time installing Cliffy's. Is there any documentation on how to install these?

Slot protectors go open end up on Wonka, otherwise you get stuck balls.

1 week later
#11360 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Does anyone have any advice for quieting the backglass rattle? I tried a couple small pieces of electrical tape but it's still got slack. I could just keep adding, but there should be a cleaner way to fix it. Wonkavator Multiball drives it wild.
[quoted image]

Weatherstripping

#11363 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Well im going to be back in club next week with an Le from automated. Now have to rebuy all the mods i had on my standard heh.

You really don't have to.

2 weeks later
#11426 1 year ago

All you gotta do to fix that issue is fix the floppy switch arm. No need for 3d prints or other tacked on hacks.

A tiny piece of e-tape jammed into the switch body fixed this permanently for me. 12K plays and it's still holding.

#11433 1 year ago
Quoted from Enron64:

Does anyone know the size of the kid multiball magnet core? Mine is already chipped on one side. I would like to replace it.

Yeah it gets hammered down on one side making a shelf.

The JJP part is:

11-100008-00 Core, adjustable, .50 Dia Coil Magnet

It was $3.99 when I bought it in Feb 2020, no idea if it's more now with steel price increases.

You can also remove the core and file it down flat again, but I just bought six of them. I've replaced it once in 12000 plays.

#11439 1 year ago
Quoted from Enron64:

Awesome! Thank you very much. Do I have to order that directly from JJP? I haven’t owned JJP before. Normally I just get my parts for my sterns from pinball life, marcos or nitro. I have 300 plays and it looks pretty beat up already. Also thanks for your previous post on the gobstopper switch as I used that to resolve the exact same problem. This game has gotten more plays in a week and bit then some previous games that I owned for 7 months.

There are likely compatible parts out there but I order from jjp.

1 week later
#11463 1 year ago
Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

There is no option to edit, modify, delete any of the photos taken by any JJP games (to date).
The only option is to do a full factory reset to delete the pictures.
However, I am curious if anyone tried to read the pictures from a USB drive that they used to "backup settings"?
It's possible the photos are backed up to the drive along with the scores, settings, etc...
I don't know if the file/folder structure can be read by humans or if it is encrypted.

I was able to find them on the backup. You need to be able to decompress the tar.gz, then the photos are in:

gen1/(game)/vf/misc/photos.

Here's one I grabbed from Guns.

000005477031DEREK (resized).png000005477031DEREK (resized).png
#11465 1 year ago
Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

Wanna try an interesting test?
What happens if you delete the photos from that folder, then do a settings restore?
Or, what happens if you add different photos?
Don't hold me responsible if you crash your game, but performing a settings backup from a non-edited backup should restore anything that broke.

No, but I bet it works.

#11469 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

2 out of every 3 times I lock a ball in the Gobstopper the ball when it pops back into the shooter lane bounces off the metal rail on the right and into the outlane thereby draining my ball.
Is there a setting to turn down the power of the coil on that vuk or another solution?

Yes there is a coil setting for that VUK. I had to turn mine too for the same reason.

#11476 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

How many points down did you turn yours for it to work properly?

Dropped it by one, tested, repeated until it behaved.

#11489 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

What is the secret to decent scores on this game? I can’t seem to get over the 4 million mark

Stack multiballs. Get multiball jackpots and by extension, golden tickets.

#11495 1 year ago
Quoted from Spatacuulous:

Time for replacement Wonka ball set. Any suggestions?

Titan, regular shiny. Not super shiny.

1 week later
#11534 1 year ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

Is there any way to turn off Oompa Loompa Odyssey? I checked the settings and couldn't find anything. Whenever I get this mode I fall asleep for a few mins because it has a super long ball save and gives no points, and you can't complete anything else during it. I hope one day they updated it to allow scoring of other elements in it.

"I hate playing this pinball game and want to play less!"

#11542 1 year ago
Quoted from Gavino:

Is there an easier way to tell which kid jackpots you got/missed than checking the status menus after the chaos has ended?

During the Kid MB there are green dots on the ones you collect, but afterward the only way is instant info.

#11544 1 year ago
Quoted from Gavino:

I think it was your video on YT that taught me that mode so many thanks for that!

Without hyperbole, we played the game for well over a year before I figured out Kid MB.

#11545 1 year ago
Quoted from Gavino:

Ah, thanks. I've never noticed that. Usually panicking about missing a Charlie or Veruca jackpot to the point where I'm not looking at the screen.
I think it was your video on YT that taught me that mode so many thanks for that!

To be clear I'm talking about the small Wonkavision screen, not the big screen.
Each kid gets a green dot and there are indicators in the corner for the super and double which you also need for the ticket.

1 week later
#11557 1 year ago

What happens again when Wonka’s hat is flashing in front of The Most Secret Machine?

As much work as I've put into deciphering the mysteries of Wonka, I have no idea what that hat is about at all.

#11563 1 year ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Has anyone else had a problem with the Wonka Factory LEDs not working correctly? The K in our machine often displays the wrong color. I have submitted a ticket with JJP. Hopefully they can get it corrected for me.

Pretty sure the lightboard in the tower needs replacement.

#11565 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

I'm not sure what I did but I had a moment in a game tonight where the ball went into the pops and was racking up millions by the second. Is that just a multiplier or is there a mode where that happens?

Super Pops + a Super X I bet.

#11594 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Recently I’ve hit the saucer and this yellow graphic comes up over and over as it makes a slightly annoying sound. Seems it’s registered the saucer but then sometimes sits there (ball search has even started). Usually shaking the machine helps a bit. Is there an opto switch down there that may not be registering? Thought I’d ask before I go in.
[quoted image]

Clean the opto under the saucer. I use cotton swabs and alcohol.

#11596 1 year ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

Aside from the obvious kid multiball magnet that holds the ball in place, the main playfield magnets only have a minor impact on ball travel ... enough to slightly change the trajectory when the magnet is activated, but not remotely close to what you see in the JJP WOZ machine for example (when the witch "throws" the ball around). I asked the same question after a few months of ownership

Wow that hasn't been my experience. Ours yanks the ball in crazy directions, usually to our detriment.

#11602 1 year ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Hmmm... so it sounds like there are pins out there where the ball get affected a lot and some like mine and naf where it's barely noticeable.
So Zaphx and chillme, is it happening all the time or which modes is it happening in?

Multiballs. It is usually a subtle direction change but it depends on the speed of the ball.
One time I saw it get yanked in the complete opposite direction!

#11613 1 year ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

I’m revisiting the possibility of getting a Wonka. My main hesitation is the music. Does it get to you hearing that theme song over and over or is it ok? Can it be changed? I sold Munsters because of this…

I had the exact same concern watching Wonka streams before I got the game. Once you're playing it, you don't even notice it.

#11641 1 year ago
Quoted from phill2cb:

When I play Fizzy Lifting Drink Room, the first level is left ramp and 2nd level says spinner/jets but whenever I hit the spinner and jets, it seems to register but never changes from that same shot. Is it supposed to switch to a different shot for levels 3 through 5? Or are all those levels also spinner/jets?
If I hit that shot 4 times, it seems like its completing Charlie, just seems odd to have all 4 levels as the same shot.

FLDR is left ramp, then spinners to increase levels (think Charlie floating higher and higher) then the gobstopper target to complete.
The spinner to raise the levels is intentional.

#11657 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

I too am curious about flipper power. Recently noticed that both of mine will whine a bit when held. Power seems to be a little decreased, maybe related to it being hotter in my garage?
Also it universally seems quite tough to hit that captive ball sufficiently. I think it’s probably intentionally that way, but I’m always tempted to increase flipper power a bit from defaults. My machine is leveled to bubble just touching the second line. Open to any suggestions!

My advice is increase in small increments. Least amount of boost to make it play right.

My Wonka ended up with +2 on the bottom flippers, tops at defaults.

Also do general flipper troubleshooting - can you freely manipulate them by hand without any undue friction? If it's grabbing the coil sleeves might need replacing, or the plunger might be going into the sleeve at an angle.

#11663 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

Thanks for all the responses, will experiment a bit! Is a low whine noise when flippers held not necessarily a problem sign? I can't recall observing that on any others, but I've been in this hobby less than a year and haven't really tested that specifically.
In general, is there a good reference (thread, or site) for "when to replace flippers"?

Vid's flipper guide and Butch's JJP flipper videos are both great resources.

I didn't need to rebuild my flippers on Wonka until 8169 plays.

#11676 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I thought I played my Wonka a lot lol. I’m close to 2000 plays. Holy cow!

Yeah man we're at "payoff" stage (12,500 plays) now.

I bought a spare playfield, plastics and mylars cause I will never sell this thing when that day eventually comes without it
(That said it's holding up very well and looks great)

#11683 1 year ago
Quoted from adol75:

I am joining this club today ! Couple games in, it looks like him and I are gonna have a good life together ![quoted image]

Difficult game, steep learning curve, great rewards/payoffs. Our favorite right now for sure. Congrats!

#11689 1 year ago
Quoted from tem92:

You were able to buy a spare CE Playfield from JJP?
I called last year and they said they weren't selling them.

I bought it a long time ago while the game was in production.

#11690 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

How would you compare this game to WOZ? Which one is enjoyable to play through code/profession/etc??
Trying to narrow down if I should get WOZ or Wonka. I have played both at location so have not gotten the ability to play in depth.

WOZ was frustrating to me, but beautiful. I really enjoyed the light board project but Wonka is the keeper.

#11699 1 year ago
Quoted from adol75:

So I have 2 problems on my new game :
- Shooter lane : The ball oftens hit the rail and goes back in the hole. I tried reducing the coil power, but on one setting the ball hits the rail and goes back in the hole, on the lower setting the ball doesn't have enough power to go up

Are you saying the trough is failing to eject balls into the shooter lane properly?
That happened to me once on a WOZ and this was fix: https://www.pinplay.com/5/adjusting_the_ball_trough_on_woz.html

Quoted from adol75:

Gobstopper hole : Most of the time the ball doesn't register when it gets in the hole. I don't know if it's suppose to go straight down the hole and that's where the switch is, my ball sits on the "cup" right under the gobstopper hole. It get sorted out during ball search, but it takes a while until ball search starts.

Any switches reporting errors? The subway appears to have an opto that should be picking it up. It's also possible the coil sleeve for the subway VUK is a bit too long and causing a ball hangup - that was an early build problem on Wonkas.

#11723 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Super excited to learn this complex depth codebase.

My favorite pinball code so far!

#11725 1 year ago
Quoted from adol75:

but it's not a mode based game

It absolutely is a mode-based game.
It has like a dozen different modes.

Not really sure what you're talking about.

#11727 1 year ago

Modes off the top of my head:

Multiball Modes:
- Gobstopper MB
- Kid MB
- Slugworth MB
- Wonkavator MB

Factory Modes:
- Fizzy Lifting Drink Room
- Good Egg Bad Egg
- Welcome to the Factory
- Inventing Room

Captive Ball Modes:
- Wonka Wash
- Wonkatania Mania
- World Record Gum Chewing
- Storeroom 54
- Oompa Loompa hurryup

Computer Modes:
- Unlimited Kickback
- Dots Dots Dots
- Wonka Bar Craze
- One more I can't recall ATM but Susan likes to stack all 4 of these on the little computer screen

"Reward" Modes for Golden Tickets:
- Oompa Loompa Odyssey
- Wonka's Office
- Most Secret Machine
- Pure Imagination

Plus a reward mode for 200 bars:
- Wonka Bar Ransom

Then on top of all these modes (all of which are shot-based modes) there are points-based modes:
- SuperX
- Super Spinner
- Super Jets

So...yeah. Saying it's not a mode-based game is not only inaccurate, it's downright insulting to the developers IMO.

#11730 1 year ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

So finally hit…”most secret machine” last night.
The light show is mesmerizing and I need to get back there real soon! What a beautiful mode this is!

Such an awesome reward mode! I've only gotten to it once. Susan twice.

#11731 1 year ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

Is this the two-ball Oompa Loompa multiball? I started that the other day but have no idea how.

That one is Oompa Loompa Odyssey, started by collecting one Golden Ticket and making the left lane under the Wonkavision.

#11734 1 year ago
Quoted from adol75:

Sure I can elaborate. When I say mode based I mean like Dialed In, start a mode, get a timer, complete the mode, start the next mode.
Wonka has them all stacked with some shared shots between them, so I guess the fact that they are under mode name makes them be mode but the difference and interest IMO is that they all build up together so you play less a repetitive game where you go through modes one by one.

I will agree that Wonka code is built for long-term replayability rather than a singular repeated path. It's why we love it.

#11742 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

That goes to my question… are people running the 1.3 or 1.X code instead of 2.X??
I saw the Change log they simplified the requirements to complete tasks (kinda like Metallica).

Upgrade.

#11750 1 year ago
Quoted from adol75:

But Wonka is a static ball that hits a moving ball. Why not put a moving ball directly ?

Because it looks cool to smack the captive ball with yours and see all the kinetic energy drain out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 32.99
$ 64.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,600 (OBO)
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
892 posts in this topic match your search for posts by zaphx. You are on page 3 of 4.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside/page/3?tu=zaphx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.