IMG_7951 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6910 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7506 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7465 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8062 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8060 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8198 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

888 posts in this topic match your search for posts by zaphx. You are on page 2 of 4.
#3729 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

That would be great if the announcer was changed to her. Cool addition for the CE owners! If this was a stern, I would try to inject her voice into the LE but unfort can't do that with JJP (unless now that I'm aware of).

I can't blindly ass kiss b/c of the fact these guys build a pinball machine. Just not me. Play experience was very disappointing in the early stages and therefore I've commented as such. Standard cabinet too was an absolute joke. LE corrects that really well! Latest code made it more enjoyable - simple update.
Let's move on though as this is really getting dumb. I'm getting side art this week and will update with pics as I didn't see them posted yet. Maybe help some others who are on the fence.....

What I’m interested in is strategies for getting the second golden ticket and beyond!

Welcome to the Wonka party.

#3733 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Any videos of this? Would love to listen in....

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/517613788

#3738 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

thanks! I agree - her voice is a welcome addition to the announcer in this game.

Yeah! I really like her voice work.

#3753 4 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Got my LE last week and loving it but there’s no visual of Violet blowing up like a blueberry? Or Agustus being stuck in the pipe? Such big wonderful scenes from the movie that I had assumed would make it into the game.[quoted image]

It's in there, it pops up in a little circle. I believe it's when you hit the GUM targets.

#3754 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I suspect certain scenes they couldn't get. No way they forgot about those....I think the kid stuck in pipe is on the art. Might be the same with violet. Call out is in there

Augustus is also stuck in the pipe on the LCD! It's horizontal across the top and he moves as you get his spinner rips to qualify him.

I didn't notice that for a couple of weeks...

#3783 4 years ago
Quoted from Bbear:

I’m reading all these posts about lowering the difficulty and I have to say I feel tempted to do the same. After owning the game for a couple of months I’ve played only 3-ball games on the medium difficulty and activated Wonka’s just once. (And scored a mere 1.6 mil that game).
I’m reading mostly about players getting 4 tickets so I’m wondering which one is usually missing. I’m guessing Wonkavator?

We’ve been playing since July and while we’ve managed a 4.4M score we’ve never gotten the second golden ticket.

We do, however, still keep trying and play a lot.

My fear is that lowering the difficulty will let us see everything and remove the incentive to keep trying.

#3787 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

How do you earn the other tickets besides the first?

Gobstopper MB - Collect 5 gobs (jackpots to open hole, sink hole to collect)
Kid MB - All 5 kid jackpots
Wonkavator MB - Complete level 3 (jackpots to open hole, sink hole, spinner shot)
Factory modes - Light all 12 inserts on the playfield. All 4 supers, all 4 captive ball awards, all 4 factory tour modes.

#3803 4 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Just got a Wonka recently and absolutely loving this game! I have an early playfield with pooling/chipping on the playfield, is there a kit for clear washers to help with that? (sorry if that has been covered here already)
Thanks! - Jeff

My Wonka SE had the issue. I had great luck using @yelobird’s “playfield iron” to flatten, @vireland’s round mylar rings to seal, and Titan’s playfield washers to cover.

#3808 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Ok question for you guys since this game has been out for a little while now. Its a dream theme for me and I want one someday.
The question now that its been out, is it worth it for the LE for the price difference between that and the Standard? Very curious on opinions from those who own and have played them.
Thanks.

I owned an SE and liked it so much I got a CE. The main gameplay difference is no ball lock during Wonkavator intro, which lets you keep shooting jackpots.

I do like the additional trim improvements on the CE but it's really subjective on whether it's worth it to you.

The SE is a great machine.

#3825 4 years ago

The danger is what happens if you love the SE and end up buying the game again to get a keeper version

#3829 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

One thing to think about - you should be able to get a decent SE at this point for under $7K easy.

Correct. Mine sold for 6500 and it took a while to do so.

#3899 4 years ago
Quoted from Gasoline:

I had the same issue.
Shooting a ball into the Wonkavator lock clears the error. At least it did for me.
Seems if you haven't had a ball in the Wonkavator for a while this error can pop up.

Exactly right. If the game hasn't heard from a specific switch in a while, it will start to flag it as potentially broken.

Play better

#3928 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Not to change subject but
And then I choked,don’t look at score just keep shooting!Wonka is a fun shooter for sure[quoted image][quoted image]

Amazing score! Any golden tickets?

#3931 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Wonka office is too easy hit one target soon enough and it’s over

Never gotten there

#3964 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Two things
I heard the best call out by far in this game. I went for the super skill shot by holding in the left flipper and I ended up getting the normal skill shot which of course awarded me nothing. Well in comes wonky saying YOU GET NOTHING! Now that was a damn good call out Joe
Other thing - I wish this game would use the camera more. I notice it takes a picture of me at the very beginning but for what reason?

It snaps the photo when you shoot the camera ramp with the red LED flashing.

I wish it were more of an “event” too TBH, it always captures the worst pics

#4036 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This is ANOTHER motherboard change? Now they're on ASrock H310CM-HDV instead of Gigabyte? Is that stock?
Did you try shorting the power pins on the jumper block? It sounds like your lockup was one thing and now the boot on power function of the motherboard is glitched. Seems to happen too much. I made a product to make recovery more convenient:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/03111-power-cmos-kicktap

It looks like the PC fan is spinning so I don’t think it’s the boot issue..this time.

#4042 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Maybe put the USB plugs back in one at a time booting between each and see which one resumes the crashing (or if none do after you get them all back in, then it's very likely the I/O board).

You might be on to something here. I’ve been fighting a reboot problem on POTC CE, and by unplugging USBs one by one I narrowed it to the camera.

Further examination of the camera revealed a lot of tension on the camera connector, halfway pulling the molex out of its socket. After fixing that, no more reboots.

#4059 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So put up 4.5 but only one ticket . I need to read the rules again!

4.5 is my GC, also 1 ticket. It’s tough!

#4115 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Thanks! Honestly, Im just paranoid at this point about all the clear coat issues ive been reading about. Its kind of sucking the excitement out of getting a new pin... I just have to double check the build date on the machine. My distributor said he is picking new machines up from JJP today, so im assuming they are newer...

Don’t let the hysterical pinside hive mind get in your head.

#4237 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I decided to take off that eye sore by the right ramp which covers the beauty of that powder. Once in a blue moon, a ripper will fall off to the left but I like seeing more of that area and less clear plastic. FYI:[quoted image]

Be aware that the purpose of that shield is also to protect your Oompa Loompa. He can take an airball and break.

#4291 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Ger your money back and order from someone else.

This. Wonka CE has been flowing freely for 2 months now. Anyone making excuses not to deliver is highly questionable.

1 week later
#4385 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

This all sounds awful. Really sorry to hear about your troubles trying to enjoy a game, and support a company and distributor.

This. I think we all root for Iceman to be made whole and enjoy his Wonka.

#4421 4 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Did I read there was an easy setting on this game or was that my imagination?

Pure imagination.

It's called coin-op mode IIRC.

#4464 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Looking at a couple right now. What is the deal with the pf...Are they all bad? chipping? pooling ? what was their solutions. LE I am looking at has a chip and some pooling.

Use yelobird's playfield iron and vireland's mylar circles to seal em. It works.

#4467 4 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

Keep getting a ball stuck here. Any suggestions[quoted image]

Is the mech still rotating like it’s supposed to be?

If so, is the ball magnetized and stuck to the rail in there? Change them out.

#4491 4 years ago
Quoted from Ambro:

Just received my Wonka CE and it is truely amazing, but unfortunately I've got an issue straight out of box that maybe somebody here can help me with. The game starts and says to go into the test screen. The test screen says that the camera can not be intialized and another screen says the camera can not be found. I have opened the backbox up and have traced the camera to the USB port. I've removed and reseated both the USB connection and the connection directly behind the camera without any luck. I've also upgraded the firmware to 1.33 but this hasn't helped either. I've put a service ticket in to JJ but do any of the gurus out there have any suggestions to try to get this working?

Sounds like the camera might be dead Contact JJP for a replacement.

#4502 4 years ago
Quoted from inverted1:

So my LE started putting two balls at a time in the shooter lane. I played a couple of games like this thinking it was a switch problem. I then realized that the newton ball had broken loose and was in the mix with the other six. This was concerning, but so far I haven't found any playfield damage from the newton ball.
Anyone know if there is a standard replacement for the newton ball, or does it need to come from JJP? I see where some of them are game specific.

http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Accessories/00-000002-00.html

1 week later
#4594 4 years ago
Quoted from Lrrr:

Checked out escaleras. $200 for 4 hrs. Might be worth it especially for the experience. Have never used one. Now to figure out if it will fit in my SUV. Might need to buy a pickup by tomorrow. What a great excuse to buy a truck.
Seriously though, thanks for the advice on the playfield. Will post pics of the job[quoted image]

A word of warning: Escalara is a device that requires practice. Taking a pin downstairs with it is more difficult than going upstairs in my view. Run it empty several times and make sure you have help capable of stopping a pinslide.

#4605 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I really like this. I no longer have my wonka but i'll be back (had to get JJP POTC) and I would love to add this.

Solid move on the POTC. Which Wonka will you be getting?

#4644 4 years ago

After a really long time, I've finally broken through the wall on this game!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/560427921

IMG_2197 (resized).jpegIMG_2197 (resized).jpeg
#4647 4 years ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

How many golden tix with that score? 3?

Just 2, but my first Wonka's Office!

#4695 4 years ago

Are you guys sure we're talking about target foam and not the shipping foam that was in that metal slot from the factory?

1 week later
#4748 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Just got a bunch of weird errors. GoBstopper motor fault and a bunch of switches randomly all giving me a service bulletin. Anyone seen something like this. None of these errors where there the day prior[quoted image]

Yeah I got that. In my case, the gear in the Gobstopper mech slid down. It was easy to remove, correct, and tighten.

IMG_0157 (resized).jpegIMG_0157 (resized).jpeg
#4750 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Just curious, how did it slip down? Is there a bolt to hold it in place? I see a hole there but no screw...

There's a captive screw already in that hole. Just find the right allen wrench for it. It slipped down because it wasn't tight enough from the factory, I assume. There are two of them, I tightened both.

#4753 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

I’ll take a look but in text I can rotate my gobstopper hole. Then. I don’t understand all the weird switch errors

Huh ok. If it's rotating in test, it's not that gear. Maybe a harness loose somewhere?

#4755 4 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

My gobstopper microswitch is driving me insane. As you can see in the picture the switch gets stuck when the Gobstopper gets hit. I tried adjusting the switch itself but every other game the switch gets stuck like the picture... anyone have any tips?[quoted image]

I had this exact problem. For me, the switch was too "loose" at the base, allowing it to flop around and pop up over the actuator as pictured.
I requested and received a replacement switch, but haven't installed it yet due to a successful workaround.

I took a tiny piece of e-tape, folded it, and poked it into the switch base using a small flathead screwdriver. This gave the switch arm enough stability to remain where it is supposed to. It has not failed again since, but I'm ready to install the replacement when it does.

Hope this helps.

#4758 4 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

You jammed it in between the switch? so it doesnt move? Was the stich moving up and down or side to side?

The switch arm had too much wobble and flap to it.

This is not the same switch, but close - here's where I jammed the tape. After you do that, apply careful bends to the roller side of the arm until the sensitivity is where you want it.

13119-02 (resized).jpg13119-02 (resized).jpg
#4765 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Just popped in to mention how much I still play this pin after 6+,months of ownership and absolutely love love love it. Wonka le and di le are just amazing pins that shoot so well and flow awesome with not to confuseing of a ruleset. Definitely keepers for the long haul and can't wait to see what toy story offers. Thats all...now back to playing...

Right? It keeps us coming back every single day.

#4772 4 years ago

Come social distance with me on Wonka CE:

http://twitch.tv/nspinball

#4781 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

I like the multi balls to be harder (I've gotten 3 going at once) and the modes easier. I am still trying to figure out how to get modes, tours going...I think it revolves around hitting the tv camera when they are ready?

Blue Modes (factory tour) - Hit the factory ramp until WONKA is spelled. Repeat to cycle to the one you want.
Purple Modes (SuperX) - Hit left orbit or right spinner orbit (purple arrows) until qualified. Repeat to cycle to the one you want.
Orange Modes (captive ball) - Hit captive ball until qualified. Repeat to cycle to the one you want.

Saucer shot starts all qualified modes. To get your 12 modes quickest, try and qualify all 3 before doing it. Try not to "waste" modes, for example avoid 5x unless you can start a multiball. Avoid "Collect Bonus" unless you have a lot of bars and bonus multipliers.

#4791 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Ok, so im at the point where I need to learn how to score better. My high score is just over 3mm, but that was only 1 time.
After you completed the wonka smoke stack, what should you do then?

Shoot the saucer to start the mode. Also try to complete left orbit/spinner shots (aka loops) to qualify purple superX, and captive ball hits to qualify orange modes. Best case you get all 3 before hitting the saucer to knock out golden ticket progress 3 at a time.

Try to be mindful of which modes you start. You don't want "collect bonus" until you have a lot of bars and a lot of bonusX, for example. And ideally, you combine that with a SuperX mode also. Just one example, there are strategies for all the modes.

#4794 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Thanks. Just seems like there is so much going on I never know what ive done and whats going on haha.
So I am assuming that collecting bonus is the saucer shot?

It is one of the 4 orange captive ball modes. So as you hit the captive ball, check which mode is qualified - if it's not time for Collect Bonus yet, hit it again to cycle to something else.

#4802 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

I had mine out for a while, but due to the fact that the pop bumpers fire a SDTM 1 of every 3 balls, I installed it. Definitely balanced the game out more

How did the left outlane post balance out the SDTM from the pops?

#4804 4 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I think he means that it at least screws you (less often) from one way of losing the ball.

My main drains are SDTM and right outlane. I don't think too much about the left one any more because I make an effort to bash the GUM targets and keep kickback lit.

#4809 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

It really does seem to favor left drains. I thought that mine wasnt level but I just think its how it plays.

Try and keep kickback lit more. For me the right drains and center (from pops) outweigh left now.

You will notice the ball making a little S curve when it exits the left TV lane. You can nudge the machine to the right as it passes the GUM targets to knock them into the ball and register hits.

#4812 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

How far up does your kickback send the ball? I asked the question a little while ago but nobody answered. Seems that you can adjust the timing of that and it makes a big difference. Changing the timing alone can send the ball around the orbit. So I wasnt sure what is considered "normal"

Sometimes all the way up the spinner orbit! It's set to default.

#4813 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

How far up does your kickback send the ball? I asked the question a little while ago but nobody answered. Seems that you can adjust the timing of that and it makes a big difference. Changing the timing alone can send the ball around the orbit. So I wasnt sure what is considered "normal"

I've got some footage you can watch at http://twitch.tv/nspinball if you're curious.

#4815 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Video doesnt seem to be loading for whatever reason.
Mine at times goes to the spinner, so seems similar.

That's because the channel isn't live right now - a Twitch thing. Click the "videos" tab and there are several captured sessions that will play.

#4820 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

It is a great game but most people don’t own it and know that.So they except the party line on Pinside.
Maybe this is the year for a JJP pin to win game of the year again!

Yes, the people who haven't played it and really gotten to know it don't understand just how great the rules and theme integration are. They accept the pinside narrative on this game at face value.

It's a shame and unfortunate for JJP and the team that their hard work gets trashed by a few loud voices.

#4834 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Im am curious on what is the best way to store this new playfield..

My approach - as a pinball newb - was to remove it from the box but not the paper, and lie it flat under a bed. My thinking is that any pressure would warp it over time.

#4841 4 years ago

Wife and I are putting up a Wonka CE stream shortly (around 4:40 CST)

http://twitch.tv/nspinball

#4850 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I decided to check my audits becuase that Left Outlane was destroying me over the weekend. This is out of 71 games (played around with codes recently).
Unbelievable![quoted image]

That was my initial impression too, early on. It changes over time as your nudge skills improve. Also, try and keep kickback lit as much as possible. When the ball exists the left TV lane it passes the gum targets - a quick nudge to the left can bang those targets into the ball and light them for you.

#4854 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

ill give it a try. but man, this weekend especially was very frustrating. My nudging skills arent the best but this should be good practice ha.
Question for you guys getting consistent scores of over a million or so... Did you keep the stock left drain or add a post?

Did not install the post.

Best game I ever had:

#4863 4 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Zaph:
I see the firmware version is 2.06B and seems to have different call outs. Is that a Beta firmware?

The CE has different callouts from the SE/LE. But yes it's a beta.

1 week later
#4901 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

For completing each kid, I find it hard to figure what to do for each or where to shoot? What exactly am I looking for?

Augustus: 2 shot hurryup combo after qualifying, factory ramp + left orbit. Shots are lit red.
Violet: Hurryup after qualifying, hit any of the GUM targets, which are lit purple.
Charlie: Complete the Fizzy Lifting Drink mode - spinner rips and then the Gobstopper. Shots are lit blue.
Veruca: Complete the Good Egg/Bad Egg mode. Shots are lit green and end with the Gobstopper.
Mike TV: Cyan shots (I don't remember them)

These are for completing_ kids, which puts the small icon next to their portrait (and presumably juices Kid MB jackpots or something.)

#4914 3 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

Joining the club at some point in the next week or two. I didn’t see anything in the key posts and was wondering how everyone has their machine set up? What playfield pitch are you using? Any other tips to have it play appropriately nasty?

I just use the JJP recommended default - top of bubble at the 2nd line from the bottom.

Trust me when I tell you it plays appropriately nasty out of the box!

#4929 3 years ago

So this was a cool thing that happened...2.4M in a single shot!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/597653892

#4932 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Damn dude your getting pretty dam good at that Wonka

It keeps getting more enjoyable over time, too. I feel bad for the people who passed on this game for stupid reasons.

#4934 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

A lot of the same folks who missed out on Dialed In.Wonka’s the only pin that got me off of DI

DI didn't move me at first but I'm seriously thinking about getting one.

#4950 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Where would you guys rank Wonka amongst the other JJP games, now that the honey moon period is over?

Just a shade below Pirates.

#4957 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Wow, that's high praise.

They almost can't be compared because they are so different.

If you told me I could only keep one pin it would be Pirates.
But what do I turn on and play every single day? Wonka.

Glad I don't have to choose!

#4960 3 years ago

The left cheater post doesn't make nearly as much difference as you think. I have way more trouble with the right outlane or center from the pops.

#4968 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Im wondering if some of my frustrations from last night were due to changing my normal style and going for the gum targets more. Had a tenancy to come down to the slings and then sling to a drain. Was happening often last night.

Try thumping the machine up with the heels of your hands.

Ideally you hit it away using the top of the sling.
If the ball is walking up the slings, hopefully you can give it enough of a jolt that it fires away from the hungry outlanes.

If it's walking down_ the slings, don't nudge, just be ready to catch the ball.

#4969 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Ok another question regarding the rules of this game. Sorry if this has been answered a million times.
So, I understand what to do with each "kid" to complete them, but what makes them get started?
And for the Factory Tour, do you have to hit the Wonka smokestack and then TV to start it? And then if you complete one, for example, fizzy lifting drink room, do you have to do the smokestack again and then tv for a different room?
Also, what happens if you drain while working on a "kid" mode or "factory tour" mode?

QUALIFYING kids is their colored shots.
COMPLETING them is their colored shots after qualifying except Charlie (Fizzy drink mode) and Veruca (Good/Bad Egg Mode.)
COLLECTING kids is done at the captive ball which moves the flashing kid color from the captive to the kid MB shot.

Shooting the Kid MB shot begins the multiball with whatever kids you have collected.

#4973 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Ok thanks. I honestly suck a nudging. I broke the key off over the weekend nudging forward and I guess I put my thigh into it lol. Machine is heavy!

Don't hump the machine, thump the corners upward with the heels of your hands.

#4974 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Ok thanks again. So qualifying them is simply a colored shot. Gotcha.
Any insight to the factory tour? I guess im mixing things up thinking some of the factory tour are the completing of kids.

As I said two kids are completed by factory modes - Veruca (egg mode) and Charlie (Fizzy drink mode.) However, do not confuse completing kids with qualifying or collecting.

The factory tour is 12 modes of three types:

Factory Modes (Blue): Qualify with factory ramp until WONKA spelled, saucer to start.
Super X Modes (Purple): Hit purple shots (left orbit or spinner shot) until qualified, saucer to start.
Captive Ball Modes (Orange): Hit captive ball until qualified, saucer to start.

Try to qualify all 3 before hitting the saucer. Be mindful of what mode(s) you're about to start, and change them if it's wasteful. For example if the orange mode is collect bonus and you only have 10 bars, you want to switch it to something else before you hit the saucer.

#4979 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Shit man what’s your IQ 160?

I'm a very stable genius.

Quoted from davisjl1979:

I know right!? Zaphx needs to do a streaming tutorial.

Like this?

#4983 3 years ago
Quoted from Motorcitypinball:

Like this?
Tutorial looks great. What Playfield camera are you using and is that 1080 or 720?

Sony CX405 through an Elgato CamLink, 1080@60hz.

#5000 3 years ago

Does anyone Know the resolution of the wonkavision? Im trying to capture the feed to add to a stream/recording and it seems the resolution is the problem. Also what external capture devices would handle lower resolutions such as that?

I've heard you have to connect your capture device to it -after- the game has booted for it to work.

#5002 3 years ago

Have you tried it with the avermedia device. I used your instructions for the main LCD and got it working in 5 minutes.

Nope, I haven’t bothered trying to capture the smaller LCD.

#5014 3 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

I just installed a new Mirco Indiana Jones playfield that came out last month. I saw the same pooling happen to the clearcoat on it when I very tightly fastened the washers and screws. It is not even an issue in my opinion. Maybe the paint chipping is from curious people picking at the pooling like it was a scab, and causing the paint to chip off.

I disagree. If it's pooled you'll want to flatten it down, or it will eventually chip on its own. I did not pick at this in any way, all I did was play the game.

To remediate I used the Yelobird playfield iron technique coupled with PinMonk mylar circles to seal, and finally Titan playfield washers. It worked out very well.

IMG_1835 (resized).jpegIMG_1835 (resized).jpegIMG_1837 (resized).jpegIMG_1837 (resized).jpegIMG_1848.jpegIMG_1848.jpeg
#5015 3 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

My game was built in October and has had no issues.

That's been consistent with my experience too, December build Wonka CE with no issues.

#5018 3 years ago

That looks bad. I have not read how Jersey Jack has remedied this. I can only think they began to use less torque to tighten the screws down as of October 2019.

This was an early build machine (July) right in the worst part of clearcoatgate. They have not said how they stopped it (nor do I expect they will) but they did go on record at a conference saying it's fixed.

#5040 3 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

i have played about 25 games of Wonka std. i really like it (once i figured out what was going on!). wondering if the Wonkavator shot on the LE is problematic at all? does the shot reject often? is the mech reliable?
the reason i am asking is because i feel that the Stern Star Wars Death Star shot on the LE rejects too much and makes the game less fun as it is such an important shot in the rules.
any chance that Wonka LE has similar issues with difficulty making such an important shot?
be safe!

I've had zero issues with the wonkavator.

The only issues I've had are with the saucer opto (it gets dirty and needs cleaning) and a roller switch issue with the Gobstopper that was easily fixed.

#5042 3 years ago

Oh, I also had an issue where the gobble hole stopped spinning, just needed to tighten set screws on a gear to fix that up.

Wonka has been pretty reliable overall, and we put a TON of plays on it.

#5054 3 years ago
Quoted from Spaghetti73:

I don't know if it is a real problem, but often when I throw the right flip towards the gobstopper, even if the ball is thrown perfectly towards the hole, it does not enter ... does it happen to you too? let's say that about half of the perfect shots don't enter , only with the right flip.

Every Wonka machine I've played behaved this way so I'm thinking it's intentional.
I consider it a long shot if I attempt the hole from the right flipper, but can do it 100% repeatably from a cradled left flipper.

#5061 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Common for ball trails from wire form exit to flippers... it's not wear just grime and dirt with small metal particles from the wire forms. The ramps get hit alot especially the center and left. They wipe clean very easily but if your worried put mylar down . Its happens less on powder coated wire forms but still gets dirty in that area. This is the most common place I wipe down on my games.

I clean with Novus 1 whenever I see ball trails, or any time I remove the glass for any other reason. I wax every 500 games or so and I try to apply it heavily in these trail-heavy areas.

#5065 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I use novus 1 to clean before waxing also.
So my waxing at every 150 plays is overkill??? Please say yes haha.

Hell I think my_ waxing at 500 is overkill.

#5067 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I hate seeing the micro scratches and ... ball trails. But to be honest, even waxing at 150 pays isnt stopping them. Guess its just a part of pinball.

I try to embrace the imperfection and remember the gameplay is the main point. Backup playfields can always be purchased if you want.

#5088 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Ive never understood what that "factory" is representing..

It's literally the entrance to the chocolate factory. It's depicted when Willy comes out with his walk/somersault, and everyone enters through it.

It may not look like a factory, but it does match the movie's depiction.

#5095 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Ill have to take a better look. Didnt realize it was for the outside of the factory.

1472549647-willy-wonka-roll-over-surprise (resized).png1472549647-willy-wonka-roll-over-surprise (resized).pngIMG_1941 (resized).jpegIMG_1941 (resized).jpeg
#5116 3 years ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

2.) Is there a good how-to video on specific strategies for WW? I have read a lot, but I feel like seeing it happen in real time along with explanations would help most. I am stuck around 5M, just mashing away.

#5118 3 years ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

Thanks. Will watch with the kids

I make no guarantees about naughty words, you may want to audit it first.

#5127 3 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

zaphx How are you getting all those Wonka Bars on the Super Spinner mode? I’m only able to get like 7 or 8 per spinner rip, but looks like you’re getting double digits on yours.

I get 25-30 per spin. I adjusted the upper left flipper a bit which reduced the clunk. I also put a tiny drop of super lube on the spinner, but I did not observe any improvement from that.

Try manipulating that flipper by hand - is it binding or does it swing freely?

#5131 3 years ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

That was a great How-To video. Watched with my son and he didn't really hear the few expletives. Thank you!

I'm sorry about that! Glad it was helpful though.

#5139 3 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

So I figured out what the issue is. The leaf switch is sticky and getting pushed down on the initial rip and the pops back up and triggers at the end on the last little bit of rocking back and forth. Any tips on fixing that? Fingers crossed I don’t need to take the ramp out to adjust the switch.

I -think- that switch is a microswitch actuated by a metal arm. If I am right, look at the plastic nub on the switch body. If that guy is sticking down and not popping back up, there are two screws on the body of the switch, loosen them a tiny bit until that nub works freely.

#5155 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

I had a large nut fall into the cab while playing. It sounded like it dropped from the bottom of the PF, but I can't be certain. It's about .75" across the flats, and .425" threaded ID. I can't find anything that appears to be this size under the pf. Does anyone have an idea where it came from??
[quoted image]

Check the kid magnet

#5169 3 years ago

I broke a part, the captive ball cover 30-100028-04 pictured here:

It looks like it will be a while due to the move, which got me wondering if this part could be improved by someone with a CNC router.

I see two problems with this part:

1. The two "teeth" sticking out are thin (one of mine broke) and also do not extend down enough to prevent the guard from rotating out of position. I believe this could be improved by making the teeth thicker and longer, such that the wireform would hold the guard in position.

2. I've had stuck balls land on the top edge of this guard - if it were a little bit taller, I believe that would correct this.

Anyone else care to comment?

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 2.04.51 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-10 at 2.04.51 PM (resized).png
#5175 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

If the cover breaks, is the captive ball still usable for playing?

Sure, the purpose of the cover is to prevent a stuck ball there.

#5178 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Guess who's back?

Wait, what? You had an LE and sold it, then got an SE? I missed all of this.

#5185 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yeah - I like Wonka but not at the LE price point. Sound in particular still bothers me. At SE price point though, it feels like a great deal. Layout is so good on this game. Could have been a masterpiece

It's a tough one with lots of goals to work for too, making it interesting for the long haul.

I personally like the sounds, but I've got the CE callouts so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#5187 3 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

Callouts are fine.
The sound effects and music has a scratchy/fuzzy quality to it. Lack of clarity.

I wonder if that's a hardware issue - have you tried unplugging the harness to the volume control? There is one wire you can remove which has fixed "fuzzy/scratchy sound" on POTC..

Does your machine sound different from mine here?

#5193 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Very hard to tell from listening to a video...
I do know that the sound quality seems to be one of the biggest complaints with the machine. Its the worst sounding machine I own quality wise.

I really haven't felt that way. I'd still try to eliminate a hardware issue. How does it sound on headphones?

#5222 3 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

I agree. The hobbit and pirates both had great sound when I owned them. Dialed in sounds great. That’s why it is obvious to me that something is off with Wonka. It doesn’t sound like the other JJP games.
Maybe it’s just my game in particular.

How does it sound on headphones? That might determine if you've got a cruddy noise filter or something.

#5229 3 years ago

If the sound is great on headphones, I would suggest two things:

1. Unplugging the headphone harness - if it improves, there is a wire you can remove to permanently fix this while retaining the volume functionality (see POTC threads)
2. Replace the noise filter. I think some of them are just not very good quality. I had this on a POTC machine and bought a new one from JJP. If I were to do it again, I'd probably just find a high quality one on Amazon.

#5234 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I replaced my noise filter and it didnt do anything.
Also, why would the headphone harness have to do with the speaker sound?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/51#post-5451907

1 week later
#5282 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I hear what your saying but this game should be more widely played and praised the way Sterns JP is

There was a brigade of bullshit against the game after it started shipping for trivial issues made out to be dealbreakers.

#5294 3 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

So, I'm staring in awe at the awesome attract mode light show on my Wonka, and noticed that something just didn't seem right with the WONKA smokestack. I went into test mode, and found out the red LED for the N in Wonka does not light.
Are there any troubleshooting tips for this, or is it just a bad board?

Sounds like a bad board, it happened to a friend of mine also.

I had an LED go out on the GUM targets, only the red color.

#5299 3 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

is just replacing the LED really difficult or impossible?

To me it looked like surface mount. I was under warranty and replaced the entire board.

1 week later
#5326 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Collect 4 golden tickets then shoot the gobstopper.

Do you need all 4, or do you get it just for collecting the 5 gob ticket?

#5329 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

You need any four golden tickets.

Well shit I'll never see that.

#5355 3 years ago
Quoted from timbo74:

Hi guys, first Pinside post, long time reader.
I'm renting a Willy Wonka CE for the next few months (how good is it!) and every other game, the Gobstopper advance multiplier goes into a random triggering frenzy - usually when lock is lit (hole is open). Sometimes vibration makes it happen, either from the shaker motor or flippers/bumpers, other times it'll just do it by itself. Of course the shaker fires when you hit the switch, so it ends up going crazy. When you lock a ball, it stops.
You reckon it's something easily fixed? I'm not much of an engineer...
Cheers in advance!

Not to worry, you've got this!

The Gobstopper machine bash switch is controlled by a microswitch. This switch has a metal arm and a small roller.

Go into switch test while you work on it. You will probably find that initially it is triggering from any small level of vibration. Carefully and in small increments, bend the metal switch arm until it only triggers when the bash target is hit.

You want it to trigger from a light hit but not from any other vibration. Good luck!

#5357 3 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I am thinking about wonka,question,is the wonka ball lock worth it,I am feeling no but have never played le,any thought?

I owned an SE for a while and upgraded to a CE. I like having it, but the game plays great without it too. It's not much of a compromise.

In our case the SE hooked us badly enough to convince us it was worth buying at the keeper tier.

#5361 3 years ago
Quoted from timbo74:

Thanks Zaph, I'll give it a go - other thing I've noticed while investigating is the Gobstopper spin motor is a bit noisy and appears to be grinding/struggling on the low speed. (first lock)
It's just as noisy at faster speeds but that's because it's higher power/spin. Anything that can be done about that? The bottom of the toy is clear, just seems that the motor is a bit grindy... Thanks for your help!

If it's the spinner on top, I got nothin' - haven't had that issue.

If it's the rotating disc itself, there is a small gear with 2 set screws that, when loose, cause inconsistent/struggled gobstopper holes.

#5367 3 years ago
Quoted from TonLoc777:

I’m having the same issue with the motor sounding “grindy”. Anyone have a pic of the screw sets that need to be tightened. Posted this same issue about 3 weeks ago. Never heard any feedback. Contacted JJP and they said it’s normal? Just want to make sure the 11k toy is working correctly lol....

Mine made noises from day one and eventually stopped working, when I investigated I found the gear was loose and fell down. Set screw indicated by green arrow, there are two.

IMG_0159 (resized).jpegIMG_0159 (resized).jpeg
#5369 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Thanks. I did take a quick look at that gear and its in place but maybe the screw is loose or something.
What is the best way to get to removing the metal covering the gears? Do I have to take out the entire mech to do it?

Mine was squeaky and grindy initially, and then faily later. So yeah I'd make sure it's good and tight.

Yes you have to remove the mech. Screws.

#5397 3 years ago
Quoted from TonLoc777:

Ok I had some time today to drop the gobstopper mech out. It appears I have no set screws at all?! I’ll attach pictures. Should there be 2 sets of screws on either side or just 1. It seems to operate ok without it. I’m wondering if it was changed on later builds. Also, this is the only screw I have that came off during gameplay. No idea where it goes.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You have the set screws. They are black, hex, and sunken inside the gear.

How do I know this? I thought I had no screws, bought some, then found out they wouldn't go in.

Just get an allen wrench in there and tighten them down.

#5422 3 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Had something weird happen today. Was in the midst of a decent game, when both of the monitors went totally black. The game continued playing as if nothing was wrong, but you couldn't see anything on either screen. I played the rest of the balls and powered the game off and back on and everything has been fine in probably 15 games since then. Anyone else seen that happen? Once on my loaner Dialed In I saw one of the monitors go black but never ALL of them at once. Should I file a service ticket (I've only had the game 3 days!) or just write it off as an anomaly?

Did you recently change the system clock?

#5424 3 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Yes, about an hour before that happened! Is there a connection?

I believe there is. I've seen phantom blackouts myself when adjusting the clock. My theory is that it gets a sleep timer out of sync on the display.

Like your experience, it never recurred after a reboot.

#5426 3 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Thanks! That probably makes sense... I wasn't sure but it seemed like it flashed up a message like my laptop does when it's left idle too long, but it came and went so quickly that I couldn't really read it.
I'll probably submit a ticket just to get their opinion on it and to get it on the record should it become a bigger problem in the future.

I'd amend your ticket to note that you changed the clock. There may be a software fix they could implement to make clock changes more robust.

#5436 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Hi guys, I was thinking about getting a Wonka CE edition. Is it a wide body? Also does anyone know how much it weighs? Anyone have any negative comments about it , or you all love it?
Trying to figure out if get this (since my wife may like it), or wait for Guns N Roses (which I know my wife won't give a damn about)

It is not a widebody.
It is heavy like all JJP pins though!

It is still a game that grabs us after almost 10k plays (first 5k on an SE, then we upgraded to the CE.)

The CE package is very nice, we especially like the Julie Dawn Cole callouts. Lots of nice to haves, sparkle playfield / candy armor / undercab lighting.

100% no regrets for us. Wife plays more than I do!

#5438 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Does it come with raDcals?

Sure does!

60800595497__9E41237E-8A51-4015-8862-0D814D892852 (resized).jpeg60800595497__9E41237E-8A51-4015-8862-0D814D892852 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#5517 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricmaz:

I have an issue with my CE. I moved the pin from one spot to another. No bumps or bangs along the way. Power on, and gobstopper disc doesn’t spin and I get an error message. Power off and try again. Same result. Now I get no error message on startup, and no spinning of the disc either. I have an email into JJP. Motor is connected to the wiring harness.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Can you hear the motor trying to spin? Could be the gear slipped down the shaft and needs to be tightened up.

2 weeks later
#5628 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

Just pulled the trigger on a NIB Wonka LE. Stoked. Not sure when i'll get it, but excited. Is it good to go out of the box, or any mandatory upgrades needed? I'll probably do the LED in the backglass as it seems to look a lot nicer.

The one thing I'd suggest is inlane cliffys, as the slots get bashed up after several thousand plays. Install them open side down_ (opposite of most games) to prevent stuck balls.

#5635 3 years ago
Quoted from robey99:

Has anyone had issues with their auto plunger being weak and unable to get the ball out of the lane? I have made sure that the arms are touching the ball and increased the coil setting to max. Even had JJP send a new assembly. Same problem. This is so weird. Never had an issue with auto plunger in any other game. Could it be a latent defect in that JJP put the assembly to far back? I don’t know. Grasping at straws. Thanks.

If you pull the plunger empty, do the forks jump? If so, your shooter rod is contacting the autoplunger forks and robbing them of power.

The fix is to loosen the 3 screws for the assembly and reposition it.

#5637 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Wouldnt the open side up allow the ball to travel down?

No, I found it caused stuck balls. Inverting them stopped it.

#5662 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

Im getting my LE tomorrow. I have to move it down a flight of stairs. Do you think i can slide it down the stairs still in the box?

That is NOT something I would attempt. I would find someone with an Escalera, or rent a Power Mate (suncoast rentals has them.)

Make sure you have a helper.

#5665 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

That is NOT something I would attempt. I would find someone with an Escalera, or rent a Power Mate (suncoast rentals has them.)
Make sure you have a helper.

On the flip side of my own argument, I did almost dump a Wonka SE downstairs with an Escalera. Going downstairs with those stair lifts is dramatically more difficult than going up.

The main concern to worry about (IMO) is the weight/momentum, as these are not light machines. Good luck @jester523!

#5670 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Just moved an SE two days ago. It is heavy. I would have 2 on bottom and one on top. But I used and Escalara and did it by myself. In my opinion, going down with Escalara is easier than going up. If you think there are more JJP's, Ameican Pinballs, or P3 in your future and you have stairs, invest in an Escalara. Sterns are way lighter and any furniture/appliance truck will do.

Do you have the edge detectors on your Escalera? I’ve been meaning to get those before I take another pin downstairs.

#5698 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

New SE owner here super excited to learn that super locks carry over from game to game on the SE. Was that always the case?

Yep. From day one.

#5766 3 years ago

Yeah the left orbit SDTM is annoying but defeatable. We give the game a little jolt when it comes out of there. I’ve found the behavior consistent on every Wonka I’ve played.

I have an unproven theory that where you see rubbers in a game, a designer plans for you to nudge there. There are several rubbers inside the pops area.

#5778 3 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Couldn't hold out, had to join the club. JJP #3[quoted image]

Congrats Harry, it's a really addictive one for sure! And that's quite a GC, especially for just getting it! Well done.

1 week later
#5804 3 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Game is Dope!!! But I'm getting a stuck ball in the gobstopper hole like every other time.
Code came out of the box at 1.32; will update to the Delta 1.33 fix this?
It's pretty frustrating, love the game otherwise, the flow is amazing, my favorite of all the JJP pins

You're talking about it failing to shoot out of the gobstopper subway VUK right?

Try increasing the power, if that doesn't work try trimming the coil sleeve in there.

#5818 3 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Is there a known issue where you'll be in maybe wonkavator multiball and lock a ball in the gobstopper and you don't get that locked ball launched back in to the game? I've seen it happen a few times but don't know the game well enough to know if there is something competing with the ball launch that is preventing it. In other modes & multiball combinations it does re-launch the ball. If I drain the last ball on the playfield (when there should be two) and I have ball save it will re-launch two balls, so it knows the count but it seems like there is a disconnect with how many balls end up under the playfield and how many are in play.

It's either the power on the gobstopper lock coil, the coil sleeve for it is too long, or both. Pretty common on the first gen machines.

#5821 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

I think in one of the wonkavater stages, you lock balls in the gobstopper until you have only one left. Then, you have to possible do something and the balls come back out and you move onto the next stage. I've never got to it, but read about it. Ill see if I can find and link.

That's a good point, in Wonkavator the gobstopper eats balls until you're down to your last one, then when you make the spinner shot it goes to phase 2 or 3. Maybe that is what's going on.

#5846 3 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Woo!! Only 2 extra balls. Best moment was an over 10 mil bonus collect (8x bonus * 5x playfield * 500ish bars). Also made it to pure imagination, but haven’t mastered that mode yet. [quoted image]

What a score!!!

#5856 3 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Going to look at a Wonka LE today. Anything I should pay special attention to?

Look at the slingshot posts for pooling and the posts on the left rubber above the sling. Make sure it has the airball guard on the right wireform, it can be added later if it's missing.

#5859 3 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Unfortunately it's got a manufacture date of August 2019, and it has pooling at the posts, and even a spot where the art lifted a bit. I was able to negotiate what I think was a fair price for both, so I think I'm covered as far as resale value goes. It seems like it played well from the couple balls I put on it.

You can flatten the pooling with Yelobird 's playfield iron idea, and seal them with PinMonk 's mylar rings. I did this to my Wonka SE and topped with Titan playfield washers.

#5864 3 years ago
Quoted from atg1469:

Do you happen to know what size post you used to replace the "optional" left lane? I bought mine used and it didn't come with a replacement and want to make sure I purchase the right size. Thanks!

From the manual these are the parts for the cheater post and washer:

97-000010-00 Steel Mini Post, 10-32, 2”
92-000010-00 #10 Flat Washer, 0.226" ID, 0.5" OD, 0.05" TH

#5870 3 years ago
Quoted from atg1469:

Thank you! The post and washer was located in the coinbox, somehow I missed seeing them the first time I searched. Curious, what is the washer for though? doesn't seem like you'd need it for this post. It also didn't come with a white rubber ring, so did you guys put one on or just let it ride without?
The black plug in front of the post seems to slow down the ball so maybe a rubber isn't needed but still seems as if something should go on there. I had a spare ring from another game but it was too big and the ball got caught between the two outlane posts, so if you do use a rubber ring what size are you putting on there?

Mine came with a rubber ring. It made the ball get stuck as you describe. I removed the cheater post a day later and haven't looked back.

#5887 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

I keep getting two error codes:
Check Matrixed switch #31 Gobstopper Target (stuck open)
Check Dedicated switch #D27 Plumb bob tilt (stuck open)
Not sure about the plumb bob, the the gobstopper target seems to keep sticking. Sometimes when I hit it it doesn't register, but the ball hit will loosen it I guess, and the second hit will trigger the hole to open. Yes I am aware you have to hit it multiple times sometimes, but this is on the first round of gobstopper multiball, when one hit will do. Does it need to be lubricated or something. I don't want to mess with it too much without knowing what I should do.

Gobstopper target: See if the switch and roller is sliding up above the actuator.
Plumb bob: You're probably not tilting enough Manually activate it in switch test to see.

#5890 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

I'm definitely not tilting enough. worlds worst nudger...I'll check on the gobstobber.

I found my pic of when this happened to me. The fix was to fold up a little bit of e-tape and stuff it into the crack where the metal arm exits the plastic switch body. This stiffened up the arm and from there I was able to apply gentle bends to adjust sensitivity to taste.

I got a replacement switch but have not installed it yet because this e-tape hack has been very reliable, strangely.

IMG_1954 (resized).jpegIMG_1954 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#5905 3 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I just joined the club with a standard edition. Outside of the star post on the slings, where are the other spots that pooling and chipping tend to occur?

Rubber above the left outlane.

#5908 3 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

What rubber are you talking about?

The one above the left outlane.

#5917 3 years ago
Quoted from Nameim:

When I contacted JJ about a warranty replacement, they sent a new plastic but said they were surprised that it had broken and that they have not had problems with that piece. [quoted image][quoted image]

It is common, at least it also happened to me. I was out of warranty when it happened and I was required to buy a whole sheet of clear plastics for the game rather than just that part. I wanted to get 6 copies of it to have some backups over time, but instead I have a box of additional plastics I don't need. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#5919 3 years ago
Quoted from Nameim:

I asked him to send me multiples...didn't happen.

I kinda want someone with a CNC to make a better part in the following ways:

- Make it a bit thicker plastic
- Make it go all the way up the ball channel so we stop getting stuck balls there
- Make the two "legs" that go around the wireform (which keep it from rotating) a bit thicker and a bit longer

#5926 3 years ago
Quoted from PBMAN:

Gobbstopper Hole - Check device malfunction detected. Anyone ever get this error. Under playfield looks perfect. Dont see any loose connections. Disk is just not spinning. Maybe I need to do that jumper board reset.
Pin is brand new with 5 games played.
LTG if you read this thanks for help yesterday on Shaker but that to is still not working. Turned it on in Coil Settings.

Most likely the set screws for the gobstopper hole rotation are loose.

#5934 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Well after owning this game for a month and putting on about 60 games my observations are:
1. Very fun game and addicting game
2. complex rule set - still not sure I understand them all
3. Not easy to collect Golden Tickets ... the most I've collected is 3
4. High score of 11M with only collecting two golden tickets...
Has anyone collected all 5 ? Not an easy game

You're doing better than we are after around 15 months playing it. My wife is the first of us to get 3 tickets and it just happened this week!

The one cool thing is that despite the difficulty, it keeps us interested enough to keep trying. It seems like every time we're getting frustrated and ready to quit, we have an amazing game that sets the hook all over again.

Wonka is going to be the first pin we own to pay for itself in terms of number of plays.

#5944 3 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I just joined the club and I have a couple questions. The first question I have is in the left inlanes. I've put small rubbers on the metal post but my ball gets caught in between them. I tried snipping the rubbers and it works but once they get turned I'm having the same issue. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm wanting to keep the post in there and have rubbers on them. Any suggestions would be great.
[quoted image]

I removed the cheater post. You'd be surprised how little a difference it makes.

#5947 3 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

What did you cover the empty holes with?

I left the originally blocked hole blocked, did nothing to the cheater post hole.

#5959 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

You can buy the JJP topper for $300, side blades for $75, and shooter rod for $80 and call it good....save yourself $2500

The CE callouts though...

#5965 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

I just changed my flipper rubbers and now my left flipper is sticking sometimes. I know it must be something simple? Hopefully...
[quoted image]

Everything you need to know about flippers:

Most likely the pawl nut is loose or the flipper is binding but watch the video.

#5986 3 years ago
Quoted from Lrrr:

Has anyone tried adjustments to the gobstopper target to make the hole shot easier from the right flipper? Having direct shots rejected doesn't feel right. I was thinking of bending the target to face more downward, but that is a really solid piece of metal. I loosened the spring, but it didn't make a difference.

No, I like having the option to bang the target to goose the bonus multiplier, then post-pass left and sink it when I'm ready.

#6008 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

So I have a quick question about Golden Tickets:
I've got 4 at different times .... kids, completing factory modes, gobstopper, and the random one u get for playing good (not really sure what triggers the ticket).....is the final ticket during super lock mode? How do u get the last one? Is it a series of jackpots and then gobstopper hole?

The last one is Wonkavator - shoot blue/yellow shots until the hole opens, fill it, repeat 3x.

I have a lot of skill envy, I gotta say.

#6010 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Thank you....By super lock I meant Wonkavator Is there an indicator on the back screen on how many times you've hit the hole? I could have sworn I did that a couple times last night!

The small screen on the playfield will tell you how many jackpots remain and whether you are on Level 1, 2 or 3.

#6024 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I remember Keith was a little pissed off when he was asked why Wonka wasn’t a mode based game.He seemed offended that people didn’t realize or appreciate all the work the crew had done.

Wouldn’t you be? Plus the game has tons of modes.

#6029 3 years ago
Quoted from robey99:

It’s randomly found in the candy jar. Sometimes fast and sometimes slow.

It's awarded after a certain number of "gameplay awards." These are ill-defined, but when you see little popups on the mini screen like "super looper" etc - those. Some number of those gives you GT #1.

#6032 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I think im about to get a Wonka. How is the shaker integration in this game? Im a fan of shakers on some games but not others. Love it in dialed in, hate it on my deadpool!

It's good. In Slugworth multiball you get a satisfying rip when you hit the captive ball.
It fires nicely when kid MB goes off, and wonkavator.

I -think- it does a short hit when you smash the gobstopper target too.

#6035 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Ok so I had a great game on Wonka this morning. I actually got that elusive golden ticket (to be honest I was surprised..and lucky as there were balls flying everywhere). This triggered (or something triggered) a new mode that I've never seen). It was gobstopper jackpots. Basically it keeps running (seemed like forever)...The gobstopper hole keeps moving around in circles and u have try and get balls in the hole. I got 17 balls in the gobstopper hole....it was really fun...

It sounds like you got to the Most Secret Machine mode for the 4th Golden Ticket! Well done.

I hope to get there someday.

#6037 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Yea that was it....really fun .... hopefully I get there again someday

Part of the magic of this pin is the rewards like that which are difficult to achieve. They end up setting a hook and getting us excited all over again.

#6041 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I know u get Wonka's office after the 2nd ticket, and the special machine mode after the 4th, what do u get after the third? Honestly I don't remember any special mode being triggered after the 3rd ticket...hmmm

Nothing for the 3rd ticket...and I only know this because my wife Susan got her 3rd GT last week. I have yet to do it.

#6046 3 years ago
Quoted from Skipnatty:

Technically it's not "nothing." You get candy stash award. 100 wonka bars and 50 candy jar.

Thanks for the clarification Skip. We've only seen it the once so I clearly missed that

#6047 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Just to be clear I have my game settings set to factory, and I was getting frustrated with all the right drains so I moved that post a little. I'm not convinced moving the post helps that much.

I've gotten a little_ better at defending the right drain. I give a hard thump upward as the ball approaches that area, basically hoping to tap it with the top of the sling and bounce it out of danger. If it makes it past the sling, the same approach also sometimes works to cause a vertical rattle into the safe return lane.

No shame in moving the posts, I have considered it many times!

#6061 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

My game was just delivered. Any advise on the proper pitch to set the game to?

Shooter lane level - top of the bubble touching the 2nd line from the bottom.

#6063 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Thanks will try that. What pitch does that bring it to?

The correct one? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Probably 6.5, I haven't checked it with a digital level.

#6076 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Ball keeps getting stuck on left side on the candy cane insert before it returns to flipper. Its stuck on the middle rubber. Do you guys take that rubber off? Or just wait for the game to break in?

I just run with no cheater post. No stuck ball.

#6092 3 years ago
Quoted from tpoeckh:

I wasn’t expecting anyone to have a weigh scale they put the machine on, but maybe the weight was listed somewhere, such as shipping documents, manual, etc.

Googling tells me 350lbs.

#6101 3 years ago
Quoted from tpoeckh:

The same 2 buddies helped with moving a Ghostbusters Premium up stairs, but that only weighed 210lbs. The 330lbs weight has me concerned, since no one rents Escaleras in my area.

If you can't find an Escalera for rent, look for a "Power Mate" - I rented one from Suncoast Rentals.

IMG_0191 (resized).jpegIMG_0191 (resized).jpeg
#6113 3 years ago
Quoted from Kenswift:

I experienced that on an LE I played on location. Is that everyone’s machine?

Yep.

#6115 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Trying to update my game for first time. My first jjp so process is a bit different. Its not letting me update. Says gobstopper target is stuck open and wont continue. But gobstopper seems to be working fine....

Go into switch test and push the crash plate in front of the gobstopper hole - is it toggling on and off?

#6141 3 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

-Is the code finished? (wizard mod ....)

It shipped code complete including the Pure Imagination wizard mode.

Quoted from sebseb12:

-Are there particular points to watch (wear ..)?

I put cliffys on the inlane drops after noticing them wear on Wonka SE. CE shipped with mylars there but I put them on anyway.

Quoted from sebseb12:

-Are there bugs, mechanical problems, adjustments to be made on the ww?

If something doesn't work, post here and we'll help!

#6157 3 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

So got my game today super excited! Lots of pooling pretty much on every star post and most of the metal posts. I would say two or three of them are pushed up to the point there are ridges. The person that sold it to me assured me he couldn't see any or it wasn't bad and in most of the pics it looked like reflections, but it was pooling. What do I even do? Is it not a big deal? Any links to things I can do to cover them up? What do I look for that are major issues that could lead to cracking?

Covered extensively by our friend Yelobird and I can confirm the “playfield iron” approach did work for me on a Wonka SE.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-playfield-post-repair-and-chip-proofing-how-to-all-brands

#6159 3 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

How many spots did you try? Looks like all 4 star posts need a little love and then 5 metal/clear posts and then left side metal bracket dug in also.

I had 4 or 5 spots I did on Wonka SE.

#6160 3 years ago

It was the slingshots and the left rubber posts.

#6177 3 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

hello, can you tell me in which mission the magnets under the candy are triggered? they don't seem powerful

Most frequently they screw with you during multiballs. I believe the lights around them flash when active.

#6180 3 years ago
Quoted from Lrrr:

I am at 20, 20, 14, 16

I bumped the flippers 2 above default and I am very happy with it. If the balls are flying off the ramps it's too high.

It honestly feels a wee bit overpowered during normal play, but when the multiballs are active and the magnets are sucking power it keeps them from being underpowered.

#6186 3 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

So where do all the high score selfie pictures go?
Shouldn’t they show alongside the scores on the high score table?
I looked through settings and see nothing that enables pictures being shown during attract mode.
Seems kinda pointless to have them taken if they just vanish into the ether.

They show in attract mode...cycle through the screens with the flipper buttons.

#6190 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

I’ve not really got to grips with my CE.. I haven’t learnt the rules and have only managed to get scores just over 1 mil!
Then comes along G&R... Wonka was up for the block.. but now.. fuck it.. I’m keeping it.. and getting G&RLE.. the wife’s not gonna be happy...

If you haven't seen this, maybe it will help:

#6222 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Finally got a couple good scores, my best just shy of 5mm. But I did that with only one golden ticket. How the heck to do you go about getting those? The most I have ever gotten was 2.

Factory: Complete 4 captive ball modes (orange), 4 factory modes (blue) and 4 super X modes (purple)
Kid: Get all 5 kid jackpots, a double and a super in Kid MB
Gobstopper: Get all 5 gobstoppers in Gobstopper MB
Wonkavator: Complete all 3 levels of Wonkavator MB

#6253 3 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Hey all. I'm kicking around the idea of buying a NIB Wonka LE. I've played it a few times on location and really have never understood the rules. But I've owned all the other JJP pins and have really liked them all once I figured them out.
Does this game have some last-ability?
Is the code pretty deep/wide?

Well let me put it this way...I had a Wonka SE. We put around 5000 plays on it, traded up for a CE and we are now approaching 7000 plays.
Wonka is the game we play every. single. day.
We continue to uncover more nuance and strategy the more we play.

So far my wife has gotten 3 golden tickets once, both of us have gotten 2 a dozen times or so. But more importantly, we're still engaged and excited to keep trying. It's kind of amazing.

I am -extremely- satisfied with the depth and longevity!

Quoted from NightTrain:

After owning the game, would you recommend buying one?

Without reservation.

#6257 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Holy Toledo thats a lot of games How many hours a day do u play? I don't think I have 5000 games in my entire collection...

The wife and I play for at least an hour or two every night, often longer.

We're both very competitive with each other. She took down my 8.5M GC from 3/1 last weekend with a 9.9M and I replaced it with 10M the very next day.

There is something super satisfying about collecting gobstoppers, kid jackpots etc that has us chasing the dragon.

At around 12k plays between the two machines, the game has almost paid for itself!

#6260 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Thats awesome....I've got 4 tickets a couple times.....I find the wonkavator ticket the most elusive for me. I've gotten to the 3rd stage, but never finished. I wish they changed the code and added a wizard mode after the 3rd ticket. I love JJP code, but it seems a little lazy that they didnt add that wizard mode.

Wonkavator we're getting closer and closer to. Hitting level 3 fairly regularly. Gobstoppers, we've gotten 4 a few times.

Currently focusing most on the kid ticket, I think it's an easier reach than the others.

#6265 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Question for you guys,
I often notice that there are two insert arrows at the left orbit, top and bottom just underneath each other. I feel like when I make the orbit, the bottom one goes off but the top one stays lit?
Any ideas?

The colors of the inserts matter. Kid colored (red for Augustus etc) or purple to denote Super X loops. I imagine it is staying on until you've looped enough to qualify a SuperX mode.

#6290 3 years ago
Quoted from atg1469:

Alright, I did what you’ve suggested and no error reports come up when I enter the diagnostic screen. I went to the switch test and this is what it shows currently. I’m not sure if this is helpful to you all or not, but figured I’d post it anyways! I know how the multiball is activated and I’m confident I’m hitting the right shot but it’s still not registering.
[quoted image]

In the settings is Wonkavator lock set to virtual or physical? You want virtual on the SE.

#6292 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

My brother in law just picked one of these up, what do yall have flipper strength set to? His seem a bit weak.

My suggestion is increase them equally by 1 increment, play, and repeat until they feel right. For me that was +2 across the board. Going too high will cause airballs, broken stuff, etc.

#6300 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Started playing Wonka and di a lot lately as my working season is slowly calming down and coming to a end. I think once all the dust settles from g@r hype Wonka and di will still stand out as amazing shooters with awesome flow. Yes the g@r package in general is amazing and special and cant wait to get one hopefully soon but wonka and di will still hold their own as they have amazing packages also. Great thing about jjp pins is everyone is so different and offers such a different experience from one another. Whenever I get my new home with a big basement gameroom I will have all the jjp pins bc they are all a great experience imo.

I couldn't agree more. Wonka is a great shooter with really_ great rules that keeps us coming back over and over.

#6307 3 years ago
Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Dang, it just blends so well into the game.
So it’s safe to say we will not be getting that scene back in future updates?
If so that kinda stinks.

Considering it took a year and half for anyone to notice, I'm gonna say it's not a big deal.

#6309 3 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

I feel like at this point I bought a lemon off someone because I'm looking at another issue that I have no idea why/what is going on.
I have a bad opto switch, missing roll pin from the slingshot that just disappeared, start button light went out, pooling everywhere, and now my power just has completely given out.
I was curious why the back metal bracket was off the machine and when I tried to put it back on now I've lost power. I can hear something when it turns on, but I get no power to anything else. I've tried different outlets and my Dialed In's power cord and to no avail. My Dialed In works perfectly fine in all those scenarios so I know it's something in my WW.
Any ideas? Other than the obvious stuff please I wouldn't post an issue if I haven't tried everything I can think of.

If you're getting nothing on powerup the PC may just need a jump start (short the power up pins.) That procedure is pretty well documented. PinMonk even made a button kit to make it easy if it's something that happens a lot.

Frequent power cycles can cause this.

#6315 3 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

Thank you! It's up and running again! Back down to a few minor issues now! haha

Awesome! The opto you mentioned, is it the saucer opto? Cleaning that might help if the game is used.

#6318 3 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

It's the Center Ramp made switch that has the metal bracket attached to it I don't even know if it's an opto, but it's under the Wonkavator so not easy to get to. I think it's not registering every time now so I def need to get in there and look at it. Problem is I don't know what to even look for or tweak so I'm hesitant in removing everything to get to it just yet.
They have another video on the test report and how to troubleshoot so going through that a few more times.

I -think- that one is a microswitch activated by a gate. If I am right, the microswitch might be screwed in too tightly causing it to stick. Just loosening a couple screws on the body of the switch will usually clear that up.

#6348 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Yes....I got 830 Wonka bars last week ... with an 8X play field u can get some pretty high bonuses

You mean 8X bonus, playfield (SuperX) goes to 5x.

#6361 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Thanks pinballomatic . Fun it is.
And when I say “surprisingly good” I mean I don’t know why it took so long for me to get one. Just slipped under the radar for some reason.

We were also surprised by how much we love Wonka! I didn't think anything could displace POTC in my home but here we are at almost 7000 plays against it! We play it every single night. It is awesome how each JJP is different from the others.

My wife has gotten 3 GTs, I have not but I'm getting closer.

It is really cool to have a game for 1.5 years and still love playing it. We still keep uncovering strategy and depth, too.

#6377 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I'm always amazed when I see players using their tilt allowance as part of their strategy.I guess all those years of shooting targets and nudging gently on Joker's Wild and other EM's taught me not to tilt,even though now it would help sometimes.
You got one and done!

I would argue that it's absolutely a part of the game now. I mean, "+1 Tilt Warning" is an award the game gives out.

#6400 3 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

I was wondering if anyone here has played the new stern avengers pin and can honestly compare it to to the “fun” factor of this pin. Because in the end that is what matters to me most. Only JJP pin I ever played was my buddy’s Wizard of Oz red ruby. It still has the stock light boards , and yes, it has issues. But it is a cool , different pin compared to his other Williams , Bally, Gottlieb, Atari, and Sterns.
I have on order an avengers premium, but getting a little frustrated by the delays in production (pushed back possibly as much as 5 weeks) as well as issues people are having with their Stern LEs. If I cancel my order, I’m out $1k, can’t do that, but I can change my order at no extra fee. My wife likes the theme of Willy Wonka and I was thinking of changing to this pin if they have it in stock and Dan muster up the extra cash.
What are your thoughts? I know they are completely different , but the theme for both of these is what my wife likes. I’d like a GNR, but my wife cancelled that idea, course the distributor doesn’t have that title in stock anyway yet.

It is well established that I’m a JJP fan, but Wonka has by far exceeded our expectations.

We put 5000 games on an SE then upgraded to a CE which we are almost 7000 games into.

The game is difficult but has made us better players. We are slowly working our way up through the golden ticket goals and absolutely still have interest. We play for at least an hour every day.

YMMV but the return on investment for us on Wonka is great.

#6404 3 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

I was wondering if anyone here has played the new stern avengers pin and can honestly compare it to to the “fun” factor of this pin. Because in the end that is what matters to me most. Only JJP pin I ever played was my buddy’s Wizard of Oz red ruby. It still has the stock light boards , and yes, it has issues. But it is a cool , different pin compared to his other Williams , Bally, Gottlieb, Atari, and Sterns.
I have on order an avengers premium, but getting a little frustrated by the delays in production (pushed back possibly as much as 5 weeks) as well as issues people are having with their Stern LEs. If I cancel my order, I’m out $1k, can’t do that, but I can change my order at no extra fee. My wife likes the theme of Willy Wonka and I was thinking of changing to this pin if they have it in stock and Dan muster up the extra cash.
What are your thoughts? I know they are completely different , but the theme for both of these is what my wife likes. I’d like a GNR, but my wife cancelled that idea, course the distributor doesn’t have that title in stock anyway yet.

It is well established that I’m a JJP fan, but Wonka has by far exceeded our expectations.

We put 5000 games on an SE then upgraded to a CE which we are almost 7000 games into.

The game is difficult but has made us better players. We are slowly working our way up through the golden ticket goals and absolutely still have interest. We play for at least an hour every day.

YMMV but the return on investment for us on Wonka is great.

#6452 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Ok, still in the honeymoon phase, but WOW! What a game. A million ways to approach, so satisfying. And today - twice - I looked up and the audio was synced to the video. When grandpa burps during “Fizzy” and Willy Dubs during Wonkavator. So suck it Kaneda!
It’s my first JJP, and I’m sorry, but the overall experience of this game is an order of magnitude more impressive than what Stern delivers. And I like Stern games. Stern makes great games and provides a fantastic pinball experience.
But JJP is in a different league.
Hey, does anyone know if CE’s or LE’s have different code? I’ve seen streams where there’s a woman’s voice making callouts?

I'm really glad you're enjoying it! We still play ours every day, 1.5 years later. It has lots of goals and layered strategy, it's very well done.

The CE has Julie Dawn Cole callouts, btw.

#6477 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

I have been wanting to join the club for a while now. I am deciding between the LE (if I can find one) and a CE.
Two questions:
Is the CE playfield sparkle very noticeable? I have not been able to find any picture comparisons between the non sparkle LE and sparkle CE.
Can anyone post a picture of the "red most secret machine" vs the standard one? Again, I haven't been able to find a comparison pic.
And for those that own a CE, can you please share what made you choose it vs an LE? Perhaps the sparkle playfield and red most machine? lol.
Thanks!

The sparkle is very noticeable in person but you won't see it in pictures - it's a combination of motion and lighting that makes it pop.
The red secret machine is literally red translucent plastic vs black. It is mostly sticker so it's a subtle difference.

I chose the CE because I wanted the best version. All of the features were factors especially the JDC callouts.

#6478 3 years ago

Red secret machine disc. It's easier to see when it's lit.

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 10.20.07 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-02 at 10.20.07 AM.png
#6481 3 years ago

The red is not as much of a differentiator as I imagined. Thanks for the pic!

Yeah, it's a very subtle difference at best. I expected "red secret machine" to mean the metal parts on the mech were powder coated, but that turned out to be an incorrect assumption on my part.

#6483 3 years ago

What kind of mods (if any) are recommended?

Highly subjective question. Only you can decide if mods appeal to you. None are gameplay-affecting on this game.

#6485 3 years ago

Do you have any on yours?

I am a "keep it stock" kind of guy. Gasoline has a ton on his Wonka CE, maybe he can submit some pics for you.

#6494 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

The sparkle play field looks great

You really need to see it in motion. In a still pic it looks like sugar or salt, but when you're looking over the game it really twinkles.

#6503 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Has anyone tried getting a longer roll leaf to put on the switch? If one exists that is.

You don't need a longer one, you just need to make it less floppy. For me jamming some e-tape into the switch body where the metal arm goes in fixed it.

#6507 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Don't throw out the felt leg protectors! They aren't trash. haha.

For people who have done that:

https://www.pinballlife.com/felt-cabinet-protectors-set-of-4.html

#6510 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Do you think they really matter? From what I understand, its protects whats behind the legs, which is never seen anyways.

I for one want to protect my Radcals. We nudge pretty hard.

#6528 3 years ago

Holy cow what a game! This game is stunning in its design and integration. Unlike anything I’ve ever played.
Got 11,700,000 last night, almost doubling my former high score. Finally got a third ticket. Only got a second ticket for the third time. I’m still finishing Wonka’s Office way too soon (by hitting the TV, not by draining).
The sheer amount of ways to play this game is mind boggling. I was getting so many adrenaline rushes last night chasing different objectives and this was before my huge score game.

That's a very good score! And I couldn't agree more. This game took a beating from the Pinside brigades over BS issues, but those of us who didn't listen to them found a really great game.

#6543 3 years ago

I dismissed Wonka early due to the bad pub. Didn’t want to spend big money for a disappointing game with poor theme integration. Boy. What a crock! This game is amazeballs, and a totally unique pinball experience. I love it.

Never listen to the Pinside hate brigade, they hate every new game.

#6573 3 years ago
Quoted from slippifishi:

If you are fast enough, you can load two or three balls into the open secret machine and get a double or even triple super jackpot - you will also get 2 or 3 gobstoppers.

Two yes, three no.

#6586 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Never got three but have got 2 many times,mostly by luck when I shoot one in and than a second comes out of the pops and drops!

We've gotten 3 a couple of times...unfortunately it only counts 2.

One time we landed two in the gobstopper hole so quickly they stacked and jammed!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/559925762?filter=highlights&sort=time

#6626 3 years ago
Quoted from eb94114:

Is the Gobstopper hole supposed to open up when you hit the secret machine target during gobstopper multiball? My secret machine does not seem to open up when I hit it during that. It has no problems opening up otherwise when I hit it during a game. Any thoughts? Thanks.

No, it opens when you make enough ramp shots (3 I think.) Then you sink a ball to collect a gobstopper.

If you collect 5, you get the golden ticket for it.

#6653 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Realized today that my camera is not working. Likely never worked out of the box either because no high score photos are displayed from the prior owner. He bought it new and build date is Feb 2020. No big deal, I'll submit a help ticket for it. I tried plugging the camera into other USB ports, but camera is not detected in test mode.
I noticed it not working because it wasn't detecting motion and playing sounds during the day. I use my bar as a stand up desk for work and Dialed In will occasionally detect me and startle me when it plays an attract sound. Then I was like, hey, wonka is supposed to do that also.

I had a camera go out myself. It's an easy part to replace.

1 week later
#6775 3 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

Has anyone experienced the issue with the ball entering the saucer and staying there?
Then the little zip sound just repeats and the ball fails to eject ??
It's a minor issue because the ball eventually comes out but its stalling the ejection for 10 seconds

Yep! Clean the opto.

#6779 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

It’s good to hear people are discovering this game.I have had mine for awhile and still digging it.

It took Pinside long enough

I think it's one of the best JJPs. Definitely the most addictive.

#6794 3 years ago

I am still pretty new to Wonka... But I am almost positive my lights lit up 1,2,4 and then 3. But I was so excited perhaps I remember incorrectly.
Has anyone gotten all the tickets here?

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha no.

#6796 3 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Most of us have never gotten more than one. Or if we got two we quickly screwed it up.

The wife and I get 2 on an infrequent basis.

She got 3 once, which I still haven't gotten.

1 week later
#6849 3 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

I disagree, it comes down to JJP making good on this warranty one way or another. Right now they are just passing the buck.
Other industries don’t work this way. Imagine if you bought a Tesla and the screen didn’t work. Sorry Mr. customer screens are made by another manufacturer your SOL until they have time to make you a new one. Meanwhile they are cranking out new car after new car.
It’s bullshit, that shouldn’t be defended.

A better analogy would be:

"We're sorry the tires we shipped your car didn't last as expected. Please continue to drive until they are bare, and then replace them with this complimentary set."

#6857 3 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Just about anyone can change a tire in a few hours.. a playfield swap on a game as complex as Wonka is no easy feat.

Just about anyone has the equipment to mount and balance tires?

#6859 3 years ago

Not even close. Tires are an expected wear item, that are supposed to be changed at frequent intervals. A play field is not.

I disagree. Eventually, given enough use, playfields wear.

People make replacement playfields for old games for exactly this reason.

#6861 3 years ago

You're missing my point. Over the life of the ownership of a car, you should expect to replace your tires, frequently. It's a routine service item.
Alternatively, over the life of the ownership of a pinball machine, you should NOT expect to replace your play field frequently. MAYBE once with heavy play. And it's certainly not a routine service item, by any means.

Ok I'd agree with that. It's a wear item but not a frequent one and once in the lifetime of the game seems about right.

2 weeks later
#6985 3 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Happy to be back in the Wonka club! Should have never sold it![quoted image]

Whoa you re-bought a Wonka CE?

#6998 3 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Anyone know what color powder the CE is?

I -think- it is Rancher Red from Prismatic Powders.

The manual refers to it as "Jolly Rancher Red."

#7000 3 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Thanks! I thought I saw jolly rancher red somewhere but couldn’t find it again!

Are you having the coin door done?

#7016 3 years ago
Quoted from Skipnatty:

Wow, well that's definitely what I was hoping to avoid, what a PITA lol. Appreciate you letting me know. I'll end up submitting a ticket after the weekend to see if there's a better option though...I can only imagine how common this is.

If it terminates in a molex that is too big to poke through the playfield, a molex pin removal tool will do the trick and you won't have to resolder.

#7019 3 years ago

Doesn't the CE come with side protectors? Mine did.

We're talking about these:

https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

#7044 3 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

Considering adjusting difficulty setting down one level easier. I've owned since July and have close to 700 games only one game did I get a second gold ticket.
Maybe that's normal for a average player. I'm at medium.

It's a tough game. We've been playing for 1.5 years and my wife got 3 tickets once, I've only gotten 2. ~8000 plays.

Still loving and still care enough to try.

Default settings, EBs for Replay and Special.

#7046 3 years ago

Wonka is a severely under-rated game.

It has the most plays of any game in our stable.

#7049 3 years ago
Quoted from ceterumnet:

It really is so underrated. I guess the theme is a bit divisive. But I'm genuinely puzzled by the lack of hype. Good thing is that you can still get any model basically without too much trouble or paying JJP POTC prices over the last 6 months or so.

Pinside did it's hate-brigade thing and dissed the game for "sounding like a slot machine" (it doesn't) and "not being a mode-based game" (it is.)

It's a great game.

Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I love Wonka so much that I am thinking of adding a Dialed In.
Are they too similar layout wise? Do you think there is enough difference with Wonka to be a good addition to a 3-4 pin setup?

I am also considering a DI for the same reason.

#7083 3 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

Derek gives the most succinct overview I could find so if you haven’t already, give it a watch or ten.

Hey thanks a lot! I'm glad it helped. The game rules have a learning curve but once you understand them, the game is super addictive and has extreme longevity.

I've been thinking of doing a followup deep-dive into Kid Multiball, as managing this is the key to the whole game. When you're in a kid multiball it is important to collect each kid's jackpot at least once, and whenever super is lit collect it. Super blocks collecting other kids when lit.

The more kids you have qualified when you get in, the bigger risk you're taking...you will need to get all 5 kids, AND the super, AND the double (camera ramp) to get the ticket. If you miss a kid you will need to re-qualify them. If that kid is Charlie or Veruca (both of which require blue factory modes to qualify) it could be quite a while before you get another shot.

#7091 3 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

Hey Derek!
PLEASE do a deep dive on your strategy for Kid multiball!!!
In all honesty I try and start kid mb with only two kids so I can focus on collecting their jackpots. Anymore kids at one time is a flailfest.

That's actually very smart, I've had some success doing them one at a time, even. The boosted multiball of more kids is seductive though!

Quoted from SBrothers:

Your “primer” wonka video provided a palatable overview that sold me on the rule set. A deep dive would be greatly welcomed!
I’m getting one to two golden tickets each game and my high is three. Wonkavator and kid golden tix elude me.
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

Thanks a lot man . I've only gotten two, my wife has gotten 3. One game I got the gumball and the kid MB ticket. I know *what* to do, I just can't execute! But we still have fun trying.

This game is very under-rated.

#7127 3 years ago

What was the "more surprises!" that Jersey Jack advertised for the CE? Or are the surprises so good, only CE owners can share between one another?

The Veruca Salt callouts and undercabinet lighting.

#7170 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Anyone know what flipper rubbers come stock on JJP games?

Pretty sure it's suzo/happ red rubber.

#7175 3 years ago

Would love to know this too!

If I remember correctly it is the value for jackpots in Oompa Loompa Odyssey.

#7179 3 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

That seems too low. Those jackpots are higher. It must be something else.

Well, shit. I know it has something to do with OLO I just don't recall what.

#7187 3 years ago

I've had a few people request this, this is a deep dive into Kid Multiball and how to get that golden ticket.

I did collect it once about halfway into the stream.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/877425253

#7208 3 years ago
Quoted from Skipnatty:

To be honest, you want to cycle thru the menu anyway...it's one of the many things you can do as qualifiers for the Gumball golden ticket.

I totally did not know that counted, lol

#7222 3 years ago
Quoted from tem92:

I'm having an intermittent issue with balls getting stuck in the saucer. (See Picture Below)
Anyone run into this? It only seems to happen when I have several multi balls. Eventually it looks for the ball and kicks one out but it does take awhile. Any suggestions?
[quoted image]

Have you ever changed the balls? Could be sticking via magnetism if you already confirmed the saucer opto works.

#7255 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Got my CE today, this game is beautiful, and shoots really well! So impressive! Still honeymooning but definitely my favorite game right now.

You are going to fall deeply in love with this game. It's an ass kicker but keeps you coming back. JJP really has a way with this stuff.

1 week later
#7344 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

was thinking about getting a shaker...
Sorry of its been asked a few times but recommended or not that big a deal on this game?

Recommended

#7348 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Put in another 2 hours letting Wonka whoop my ass and tapped out. lol How can a game that makes you so happy make you so Mad! Amazing game but as a cute candy kids theme its an ass kicker!

Wonka made a man out of me, pinball-wise. I was forced to learn better catch skills, nudge skills, and multiball cradling skills.

It is absolutely an ass kicker, but man when you reach the golden ticket goals...such a great payoff!

#7364 3 years ago

I had the same issue and for me the base where the metal arm enters the switch body was floppy and loose. It was actually bouncing a bit which is how it was able to escape above the switch actuator.

I folded up a little e-tape and jammed it into the switch body where the arm enters. This firmed it up and after that a little bending to dial it in made it 100%.

#7368 3 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Thinking of upgrading from a Wonka SE to a Wonka CE.
Is it worth the 5k??

Only you can make that assessment, but we did that same upgrade (sold a JP to fund it) and we are very happy we did.

#7414 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Check the mini-usb connector at the BAG board - reseat with game power off. It is easily jostled. I will attach a picture
[quoted image]

Out of curiosity, what does BAG stand for?

Bad Ass Game?

#7431 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I was wondering why I like wonka but hate the drains and noticed this gap with a missing pole? Did anyone else’s come like that ?
[quoted image]

It ships that way from the factory - there is a cheater post in the coinbox you can put in if you wish.

#7445 3 years ago
Quoted from rodcom:

All put the cheater post in with with rubber rings. Now the ball getting stuck as it goes down. Any ideas?[quoted image]

Remove the cheater post

1 week later
#7519 3 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I have a problem that has made the game pretty unplayable. The TV scoop does not seem to recognize when a ball is in it and only releases it after a ball search. I lifted the playfield and when moving around the black & white wires that go to the reflector board, the first row was turning brown and then not brown for most of the switches. I figured this was a good place to ask what my next move should be. There was a tight zip tie on those wires which I removed to see if it had pinched them. What is my next move?

Pretty common issue in my experience - clean the opto board under the saucer with alcohol (power off.)

#7521 3 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

What about the part where wiggling a wire was causing the whole row to go to brown on the switch test?

Oops, I fail at reading comprehension.

Is one of the harness plugs not seated well on the driver board in the head?

#7523 3 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

see pic, Anyone know the best way to remove the black cap that comes in the screw post hole? I don't want to pry it up out of fear that I could dig into the clear coat and attempted to push it up from the underside of PF. I am noticing it manipulates the ball slightly. Additionally, would like to get your thoughts on having the post inserted in between the left side, right in line and outlane(empty spot in the pic). I inserted it and tried it but had a slow rolling ball get stuck between it and the rollover wire. Very strange. Does the black cap need to be inserted? I bought mine NIB and it came just like you see in the pic so one hole had the black cap and the other didn't so I am assuming it isn't a necessity. I'd prefer to not have them inserted because they aren't flat.
Also, any idea how to increase the shaker intensity? I can barely feel it, in fact didn't think there was one. There isn't an adjustment knob on the shaker and couldn't find an adjustment in the settings but could have overlooked it.
Thanks in advance all. [quoted image]

I heard removing the black plug causes stuck balls, so I left it.

#7530 3 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

Fair number of “Wanted” requests for Wonka LE in marketplace.
Not to rub salt in anyone’s (whose looking for one) wounds, but I’m so glad I pulled the trigger and snapped one of the last few NIB up back in October.
I had no idea they were going to discontinue it when I bought it.
I’ll call it “divine intervention” as it’s honestly become my favorite pin of all time!
...best of luck to all those in search of this great machine!!!

Point them at smalltownguy2 - he is desperately angry about his Wonka and has a game+playfield.

#7533 3 years ago

Mine's not an LE. And LE buyers aren't looking for SE's with shitty clearcoat. But thanks for the shout out anyway.
My SE isn't leaving me for any less than $7000. I don't care what anyone else thinks, that's my price.

I think it's a fair price. I sold my Wonka SE for $6500 -without- a backup playfield.
And that was before COVID which has spiked all pinball prices across the board.

#7548 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Is the metal arm roller still attached to the arm which attaches to the little black switch? See pic.
I can't tell by these pictures.
If it is......slide the glass off and try to operate the switch manually. (the metal arm with the roller on the end) Operate it by itself and see if its stuck or triggers at all. There is a known issue with these getting stuck on top of the flat metal. I'm wondering if it has compromised the switch over time and either bent the arm or broken it or something but start there.
[quoted image]

For me the root cause was the switch arm was floppy and loose. I folded a little piece of e-tape and jammed it into the switch base where the arm comes out, which stiffened it up to where I could adjust it without further failure. I did get a replacement and someday I will install it but I haven't had to yet.

#7550 3 years ago
Quoted from DavidCPA:

If you have access to a 3d printer, I recommend this part created by a pinsider (Mikepmcs). Great file and just snaps into place. Here is the link on Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4675550
[quoted image]

That one doesn't make any sense to me at all.

"You get nothing" - except your ball you just locked, or a gobstopper collect.

#7601 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I dont think so, thanks for the advice, but everything was perfectly fine until right now And after ball search mode, the magnet finally releases the ball.

Look at the magnet lug, I expect you will find that ball drops have pounded down one side to make a "shelf" that the ball sits on. The vibration of ball search probably shook it loose.

Common problem I have had many times.

You have two options to fix it:

1. Remove the magnet lug and grind it down with something to make it flat again
2. Replace the magnet lug.

I opted for #2 and bought several to keep on hand. It's a wear item on Wonka.

#7618 3 years ago

or watch mine. I made it to pure imagination. Which is all 5 golden tickets. I came to a point where i was struggling to complete one of the challenges and a viewer in chat told me what shot to make. The game is awesome and deep. Lots of fun. I like getting super spinner and 5x playfield. I ripped 1 million point spinner shots several times in the game.
BTW, I watched zaphx many times to learn to where i got. So thanks Derek!
https://www.twitch.tv/motorcitypinball/video/922056705

WOW! Well done! Thanks for watching and glad that it helped. Now I need to watch yours to try and get some of your skill as I still don't have 3 GTs.

Susan got 3, once.

#7619 3 years ago

or watch mine. I made it to pure imagination. Which is all 5 golden tickets. I came to a point where i was struggling to complete one of the challenges and a viewer in chat told me what shot to make. The game is awesome and deep. Lots of fun. I like getting super spinner and 5x playfield. I ripped 1 million point spinner shots several times in the game.
BTW, I watched zaphx many times to learn to where i got. So thanks Derek!
https://www.twitch.tv/motorcitypinball/video/922056705

BTW I see you attached the flipper fans - I find lack of power during multiball a significant issue on Wonka. I've bumped the flipper power (I think +2) to compensate as I always thought the magnets were sapping power.

Did you find the fans gave you consistent power throughout?

#7654 3 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Can someone explain these numbers here to me? I understand the ramps increase the number and then the ? collects a random award. But what about those lolipops? Also, what does it have to do with the lit lolipop on the lower left inlane?
[quoted image]

The lollipops on the inlanes are for candy jar, every time the ball heads for one, flip until it's unlit - crossing the inlane switch will light it. Increasing candy jar value boosts spinner rips.

The numbers under the captive ball are the levels up to the random award. Shooting ramps raises them, and they decay back down when you stop.

There is a sign that tells you this - and yes I didn't see it either at first!

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 2.46.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-25 at 2.46.27 PM.png
#7658 3 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I understand that. I'm wonder does anything happen when I hit the captive ball and it's at a 3? I'm always expecting 3 pieces of candy to go in the jar.
Or if I hit it before it gets to the ?, then I get nothing?

I think what happens is your captive ball award rotates 3 slots. It's a way to select what the captive ball award is before you hit the saucer.

#7659 3 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

So if I understand you correctly, rolling over an unlit lollipop inlane and the lighting it up, adds a candy piece to the jar? Pieces of candy increase spinner value? What happens if I roll over a lit lollipop inlane?

Correct. AFAIK nothing happens if you roll over a lit lollipop lane.

#7688 3 years ago

That and making the entire game revolve around collecting Wonka Bars. I mean, really? Wonka Bars?? [quoted image]

It's really about collecting Kid jackpots. Wonka bars are a side quest but it's all about getting the kid jackpots while also working the gobstopper, factory and wonkavator goals.

#7728 3 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

It doesn't look like there is a SE or LE NIB to be found anywhere....looks like I will have to wait for a new run out of JJP.

Why would that happen?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 32.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
$ 25.50
9,600 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

888 posts in this topic match your search for posts by zaphx. You are on page 2 of 4.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside/page/2?tu=zaphx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.