IMG_2445 (resized).jpeg
wonka (resized).jpg
ca1d7f7e-8a2b-4029-af32-f724544015c9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5842.jpeg
IMG_5849.jpeg
IMG_5853.jpeg
IMG_7855 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 211 of 280.
#10501 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

It's hard to consider it critical to gameplay when you have to stop and shake the machine to free the ball. I'd LOVE it if the rubber functioned correctly and wasn't a problem. But when JJP says "That post to the left" (the inlane post in question) "is not supposed to have a rubber on it. It was deleted by engineering for that reason." and it's getting hung up on multiple machines (including mine, see several recent posts), I'd agree with JJP and remove it. But if yours is working great, fantastic. In fact, I kinda want the cheater post in too because of the increased ability to nudge with it.

If the ball is sticking between the post and sling, you just need to tug the sling rubber around the corner a bit to make it tighter in the lane.

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 10.52.40 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-01-17 at 10.52.40 AM (resized).png
#10502 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I have no experience with post caps. I assume they come in one size and look like this? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/38-6543
It is mildly irritating that JJP doesn't do something like this vs just removing the rubber.

Those are post caps, though mine came from Titan. I've found that clear rubber where lit from behind helps to add illumination to the playfield, and the RGB aspect of Wonka makes the slings especially appear to change color.

Quoted from arcyallen:

I have no experience with post caps. I assume they come in one size and look like this? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/38-6543
It is mildly irritating that JJP doesn't do something like this vs just removing the rubber.

#10503 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Really strange that some machines have this issue and some dont.

I believe that the issue with the inlane rubber comes from the sling posts being installed at the far outside of the mounting hole, effectively narrowing the lane. That small amount of adjustment is why it doesn't present itself as a problem on every game.

#10504 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

If the ball is sticking between the post and sling, you just need to tug the sling rubber around the corner a bit to make it tighter in the lane.
[quoted image]

This could be why, after I tightened my sling bolts, it was never an issue again. The rubber must have gotten tighter..

#10505 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Hard disagree. That rubber is critical to gameplay! Coupled with an up nudge it gets the ball out of that trouble zone.
It's there for a reason.
EDIT: if you have the cheater post installed, you're not gonna left drain anyway so I could see removing it in this case.

There are still plenty of left drains on my machine, you just have the ability to save it with the post installed. One of the frustratingly fun aspects of this game is trying to remember if you have hit the gum targets enough to get the kickback. Getting lulled into complacency expecting the kickback happens to me when I play for an extended period of time. Wonka is such a great game, I'm really glad that I took the plunge on my first JJP.

#10506 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

This could be why, after I tightened my sling bolts, it was never an issue again. The rubber must have gotten tighter..

I only know this because the issue just happened to me recently I did some maintenance and afterward I was getting a stuck ball there which never happened in 11K games.

I pulled the rubber to the right over the top post and problem solved.

#10507 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I only know this because the issue just happened to me recently I did some maintenance and afterward I was getting a stuck ball there which never happened in 11K games.
I pulled the rubber to the right over the top post and problem solved.

When the fix from JJP was that it shouldnt have any rubber, I found that very odd. When do we ever really see a bare metal post in a pinball game?

#10508 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

There are still plenty of left drains on my machine, you just have the ability to save it with the post installed. One of the frustratingly fun aspects of this game is trying to remember if you have hit the gum targets enough to get the kickback. Getting lulled into complacency expecting the kickback happens to me when I play for an extended period of time. Wonka is such a great game, I'm really glad that I took the plunge on my first JJP.

He wasnt talking about the "cheater post". That is optional to install.

#10509 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

EDIT: if you have the cheater post installed, you're not gonna left drain anyway so I could see removing it in this case.

I was commenting on this aspect of your quote specifically, because it doesn't reflect the experience I've had on my machine. It is optional, and I'm glad to have options. I was just trying to provide perspective for those doing a search and deciding what route to go on their own machines. I have no quarrel with however anyone wants to set up their own machines to enjoy in their home. If I was an operator, you can be sure that those factory plugs would still be in place!

#10510 2 years ago

No rubber for me. I like it raw and it came to me that way.

16424417089588745583249294379054 (resized).jpg16424417089588745583249294379054 (resized).jpg

#10511 2 years ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

No rubber for me. I like it raw and it came to me that way.
[quoted image]

This is how I have finally settled on setting mine up. Rubber on the optional post, far left, and not on the post between the inlanes (btw my game came with that rubber there). Reason is, with rubber on the outermost post it is more viable to nudge to save from from the left drain, which adds a little more fun for me. Something more to interact with. The rubber can’t go on both because the ball won’t clear through so in choosing one vs the other I chose the left most for that reason.

Ps - this is not a comment about what jjp intended or not, just what I decided I like best. I think at this point everyone should just decide for themselves. It seems like this is just a bit of a design oversight and their only “fix” was to advise removing the rubber

#10512 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

When the fix from JJP was that it shouldnt have any rubber, I found that very odd. When do we ever really see a bare metal post in a pinball game?

Especially since that rubber is a ball saver when nudged right!

BTW GNR does ship with this post bare.

#10513 2 years ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

Did you pick the GT or the KO? Thanks!
Also does it help with the start up pop?

I just have the KO. I don't think the added features of the GT are necessary on more modern games.

I went down to the basement to take note of the startup. There are two, low level pops now. I presume the first is when the amplifier is powered, and the second is when the sound card comes on line. The fact that I didn't really notice it before though would seem to indicate that it is of much lower amplitude than before. My guess is that the attenuation of the factory sound is only active once the machine has fully booted. This means that when the factory amp powers up, it is at full volume, since the attenuation isn't active yet. The aftermarket amplifier in my machine isn't at full volume, so that alone would account for a smaller square wave. You could easily open the door, put the volume to zero, boot the machine, then set volume to your favorite setting and close the door. But at the volume levels I'm playing at, it isn't necessary.

#10514 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

I just have the KO. I don't think the added features of the GT are necessary on more modern games.
I went down to the basement to take note of the startup. There are two, low level pops now. I presume the first is when the amplifier is powered, and the second is when the sound card comes on line. The fact that I didn't really notice it before though would seem to indicate that it is of much lower amplitude than before. My guess is that the attenuation of the factory sound is only active once the machine has fully booted. This means that when the factory amp powers up, it is at full volume, since the attenuation isn't active yet. The aftermarket amplifier in my machine isn't at full volume, so that alone would account for a smaller square wave. You could easily open the door, put the volume to zero, boot the machine, then set volume to your favorite setting and close the door. But at the volume levels I'm playing at, it isn't necessary.

Awesome thanks!

#10515 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

Put on alternate rubber, and have both. Post caps, with the closed end cut off and facing down work perfectly. [quoted image]

I agree! This solution worked for me, protects balls from damage and allows the outlane post for family friendly play.

#10516 2 years ago

Hi Guys:

Brand new machine and, after 10 games working as it should, the following came on the screen at power up:

Gobstopper Hole - Check Device - Malfunction Detected
Check matrixed switch #51, Gobstopper Lockup #1 (at kicker) (Stuck open)

So, gobstopper hole is stopping at 9 o'clock position, instead of 12 o'clock. Tested opto and all OK. I can move the disk by hand, so it is not binding.

Switch 51 is dead but I know the switch is good. To be sure, I changed it with a known good one but still dead. Does not activate in switch test, just the red indicator that switch is bad.

I pushed and pulled every plug and socket imaginable on both the underside of the playfield and in the backbox. Nothing made any difference.

For some reason the gobstopper hole has now started defaulting to 12 o'clock position (as I think it should) but never moves to 6 o'clock, to allow a ball in. The target in front of the gobstopper disk (which I think is supposed to activate the disk) works fine and is registering, when hit.

Help, please!!

#10517 2 years ago

Any advice on getting the black plug filling in the cheater post hole back out of the playfield? I've tried pushing firmly from below with a screwdriver while prying on top with plastic putty knife. It's not budging. I KNEW the moment I snapped it in place it was premature installing it. And I'm very hesitant to use a metal tool to grab it from above when it's so close to the playfield.

#10518 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Any advice on getting the black plug filling in the cheater post hole back out of the playfield? I've tried pushing firmly from below with a screwdriver while prying on top with plastic putty knife. It's not budging. I KNEW the moment I snapped it in place it was premature installing it. And I'm very hesitant to use a metal tool to grab it from above when it's so close to the playfield.

You need to use a small round punch and hammer from UNDER the playfield to drive it out through the hole. Definitely don't pry from the top, you will probably gouge the clear.

#10519 2 years ago

Call JJP for guidance. Beyond popular belief, their customer service is not bad.

On another note. I cleaned and waxed my Oct WW build with over a thousand plays and found no playfields issues. Yay.

#10520 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

You need to use a small round punch and hammer from UNDER the playfield to drive it out through the hole. Definitely don't pry from the top, you will probably gouge the clear.

Can you tap a drill bit against it to pop it out?

#10521 2 years ago

How multiball heavy is Wonka? I am considering trading my JJP POTC for a Wonka and cash, just feel like the never ending multiballs takes away from being able to look up at the screen and see what's going on or how I'm progressing.

#10522 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

How multiball heavy is Wonka? I am considering trading my JJP POTC for a Wonka and cash, just feel like the never ending multiballs takes away from being able to look up at the screen and see what's going on or how I'm progressing.

The multiballs are really fun in this game and I look forward to them. I don't think it's any more or less multiball heavy then any other modern pin.

#10523 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Slugworth
Children
Oompa Loompa
Gobstopper Multiball
Wonkavator Multiball

It doesn't feel heavy at all and you really have to work for the "Children Multiball", Gobstopper Multiball, and Wonkavator Multiball.

Great Game, and better than Pirates. Good Luck.

WW_Rules_Jan20.pdfWW_Rules_Jan20.pdf
#10524 2 years ago

Stackable:

Slugworth MB
Kid MB
Gobstopper MB

Non-Stackable:

Wonkavator MB

#10525 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

I dont feel its heavy on the multiball even though it has a lot of ways to get them...

#10526 2 years ago

I'm having trouble with the left ramp diverter on a new game. Lots of times the diverter tries to divert ball to lower flipper but it only stops the ball which then slowly continues onto the wire ramp. The diverter is working fine but I noticed my left ramp has a significant lean to the right. This causes ball to hug the right side and avoid the drop hole on the left. I am wondering if this ramp is supposed to be level near the diverter end?

Diverter1 (resized).jpgDiverter1 (resized).jpgDiverter2 (resized).jpgDiverter2 (resized).jpg
#10527 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

If you don't have a punch, sure. But the average drill bit at that diameter might be on the short side. I'm not home to look, I don't recall if there are any components that would keep you away from the underside of the playfield. A few light taps of the hammer will drive it right out, you just don't want to lose control of the bit and have it pop through and slide down the playing surface.

#10528 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

Slugworth
Children
Oompa Loompa
Gobstopper Multiball
Wonkavator Multiball
It doesn't feel heavy at all and you really have to work for the "Children Multiball", Gobstopper Multiball, and Wonkavator Multiball.
Great Game, and better than Pirates. Good Luck.[quoted image]

Don't forget most secret machine and pure imagination (4th and 5th golden ticket wizard modes). I mentioned them because they are much more attainable with the latest code.

The best thing in this game is getting kid multi-ball and gobstopper multi-ball going at the same time. Then the game really blows up. Definitely not as much multi-ball as GNR though. The multi-balls in Wonka feel very balanced and not at all annoying.

#10529 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:Don't forget most secret machine and pure imagination (4th and 5th golden ticket wizard modes).

Don't forget oompa loompa multiball. A very cool mode, the custom music track is great, especially when you hit shots.

#10530 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Normally, yes. Mine? No.

Update: My black plastic plug is out, and the post is in. After several contacts with JJP we decided I needed to gently drill it out from below. I was not thrilled, and it was nerve racking, but it worked out in the end. My problem was nothing was working. I tried pressing, jiggling, and hammering the little plastic plug from below using multiple small objects but it wouldn't budge more than a hair. It appears the plastic got caught up in the metal threads and just decided to hang on for dear life.

On a side note so far JJP has been very good for customer service. I've dealt with Stern and CGC, and have really had nothing but great experiences with all of them other than some communication hiccups.

#10531 2 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

I'm having trouble with the left ramp diverter on a new game. Lots of times the diverter tries to divert ball to lower flipper but it only stops the ball which then slowly continues onto the wire ramp. The diverter is working fine but I noticed my left ramp has a significant lean to the right. This causes ball to hug the right side and avoid the drop hole on the left. I am wondering if this ramp is supposed to be level near the diverter end?
[quoted image][quoted image]

This sounds like what mine does. But, I don't think it is while trying to divert the ball. I think it is after diverting a ball and it raises back up... I think it just doesn't come up quite high enough. I don't have a solution yet, though the more I've played it, the less I've had it happen, FWIW.

#10532 2 years ago
Quoted from doc5md:

This sounds like what mine does. But, I don't think it is while trying to divert the ball. I think it is after diverting a ball and it raises back up... I think it just doesn't come up quite high enough. I don't have a solution yet, though the more I've played it, the less I've had it happen, FWIW.

Actually that is a different problem. Mine had that one too. The spring that pulls the diverter arm back up is too weak. It acted lazy and hung down a little just as you described. I added a second light spring and have had no more problems with the diverter arm getting in the way when it shouldn't. I think JJP put too light of a spring on this recent batch of Wonka's. Well at least a few anyway. Does your left ramp exit lean right like mine does?

Diverter2 (resized).jpgDiverter2 (resized).jpg
#10533 2 years ago

Update: I contacted JJP about blemish on invisiglass from gobtopper rub during ship and they are sending me a new glass. Yay!

#10534 2 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Update: I contacted JJP about blemish on invisiglass from gobtopper rub during ship and they are sending me a new glass. Yay!

I'm waiting to hear back from them. I submitted my ticket on that today.

#10535 2 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

Actually that is a different problem. Mine had that one too. The spring that pulls the diverter arm back up is too weak. It acted lazy and hung down a little just as you described. I added a second light spring and have had no more problems with the diverter arm getting in the way when it shouldn't. I think JJP put too light of a spring on this recent batch of Wonka's. Well at least a few anyway. Does your left ramp exit lean right like mine does?[quoted image]

I'll have to look at that and report back.

#10536 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

If you don't have a punch, sure. But the average drill bit at that diameter might be on the short side. I'm not home to look, I don't recall if there are any components that would keep you away from the underside of the playfield. A few light taps of the hammer will drive it right out, you just don't want to lose control of the bit and have it pop through and slide down the playing surface.

Yea i was saying just as a possible option if someone doesnt have a punch.. But I would not be concerned with a drill bit sliding on the surface... Thats not going to cause any damage.

#10537 2 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

Actually that is a different problem. Mine had that one too. The spring that pulls the diverter arm back up is too weak. It acted lazy and hung down a little just as you described. I added a second light spring and have had no more problems with the diverter arm getting in the way when it shouldn't. I think JJP put too light of a spring on this recent batch of Wonka's. Well at least a few anyway. Does your left ramp exit lean right like mine does?[quoted image]

I had this same issue with the diverter being too low due to a weak spring. I actually pulled it tight, wrapped the end around the metal nub that it connects to, and trimmed the excess... Never had a problem since..

Granted, a new spring would have been ideal ha.

#10538 2 years ago

Fixed problem with diverter

Quoted from PlayPin:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Found the problem. Took off lower left wire form and found it was bent causing plastic portion of ramp to lean down to the right. Also one fork(upper right) of wire form was installed wrong at factory. Wire should not be inside the plastic ramp.

#10539 2 years ago

Saw something new during my best game so far. It was called ransom. You could raise the ransom by hitting certain shots. Unfortunately did not complete before losing that ball. I love how this game has new surprises that pop up. There is a lot more depth to this game than it may look like on the surface. My best game is 19.26M with three golden tickets. This is way higher than my average game. Have had this game about 3 weeks. Factory rules except enabled replay and special to award extra balls. I really like this game!

#10540 2 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

Saw something new during my best game so far. It was called ransom. You could raise the ransom by hitting certain shots. Unfortunately did not complete before losing that ball. I love how this game has new surprises that pop up. There is a lot more depth to this game than it may look like on the surface. My best game is 19.26M with three golden tickets. This is way higher than my average game. Have had this game about 3 weeks. Factory rules except enabled replay and special to award extra balls. I really like this game!

I forgot about that mode. Been a while since I got it. I used to get it on the old code..

I believe, if I remember correctly, you need to get 200 wonka bars for that to start?

#10541 2 years ago

Does anyone know how to complete/collect the ransom award??

#10542 2 years ago
Quoted from Bowlingpin:

I just learned it existed. Now I got to get home and collect 200 Wonka Bars.

#10543 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I forgot about that mode. Been a while since I got it. I used to get it on the old code..
I believe, if I remember correctly, you need to get 200 wonka bars for that to start?

That could be. I think I had 248 bars on that game. It makes sense that they would tie the mode to Wonka bars. The lady in the movie had to "think about" whether to surrender her case of Wonka bars for her husbands release.... after saying she would pay anything, anything!

#10544 2 years ago
Quoted from Bowlingpin:

I thought I just continues until you drain the ball. Would love to know if this is not the case.

#10545 2 years ago

Seemed like a perfect mode to implement that scenes call outs.

Start ransom- detective: go ahead, we’re listening..
Ah ha
Aha.
:They want your case of wonka bars!
Woman: how long will they give me to think it over.. lol

Wouldn’t it be cool if (hypothetically) you didn’t complete the ransom and lost all your wonka bars...
makes for some strategic game play if you’re close to the 200mark...

#10546 2 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

That could be. I think I had 248 bars on that game. It makes sense that they would tie the mode to Wonka bars. The lady in the movie had to "think about" whether to surrender her case of Wonka bars for her husbands release.... after saying she would pay anything, anything!

That scene in the movie always cracks me up.

#10547 2 years ago

It's your husbands life for a case of Wonka Bars......
How long do I have to think it over. lol

#10548 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

I thought I just continues until you drain the ball. Would love to know if this is not the case.

Time to pull the glass and find out!

#10549 2 years ago

Need a favor from current owners…what is the exact backbox width of WW? (or any JJP for that matter). I’ve seen anything from 28.5-29” online

I’m working with a very narrow doorway so every half-inch counts and I’m trying to see if I can join the club without having to remove the backbox or anything drastic.

#10550 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:I thought I just continues until you drain the ball. Would love to know if this is not the case.

Unfortunately I did not get enough time figure out how to end ransom.

What I think would be really cool! If games had enough memory to allow you to "review" your last game on the monitor. I would love to see some of the things I am missing that are going on the LCD. If I try to look up there while ball is in play I usually lose it. They could add an adjustment that allows review of last game. If adjustment is set to on, then when game ends it questions you: Review last game? Left flipper = no, Right flipper = yes. Then allow left flipper to rewind and right to fast forward. Push both flippers at once to end review. Of course this would probably be best only for home settings.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 32.99
$ 64.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

11,000 (OBO)
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 13,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 211 of 280.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside/page/211 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.