IMG_2445 (resized).jpeg
wonka (resized).jpg
ca1d7f7e-8a2b-4029-af32-f724544015c9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5842.jpeg
IMG_5849.jpeg
IMG_5853.jpeg
IMG_7855 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #149 Deep Dive on features and all that is wonka Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Post #150 SDTM video on Wonka - interview with Pat Lawlor and Joe Katz Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #160 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #188 Rules Flowchart Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #248 Features Matrix - CE, LE, SE Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #554 Early Stream of a home owner who received their game Posted by Habermania (4 years ago)

Post #785 Gobstopper subway VUK not ejecting ball fix Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #793 Gobstopper subway VUK fix pics for reference Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #1130 Latest code changelog Posted by LTG (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

892 posts in this topic match your search for posts by zaphx. You are on page 1 of 4.
#43 5 years ago

I’m in for a CE!

#75 5 years ago

I was considering hopping on a plane to MGC to try Wonka, but the Friday preview tickets are sold out.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Sucks that you need a $45 ticket that sold out to see the seminar.

Agreed, I'll just have to wait for my CE

#83 5 years ago

I don't know about you guys, but I am seriously impressed at the marketing efforts behind Wonka. Look how frenzied everyone is and we haven't even seen it!

#255 5 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I currently have a CE on order but think I will revert back to an LE? What do you think? This will be my second pin (WOZ RR is my first). I like the blue armor on the LE better than the cand red on the CE. The gobstopper pull and topper are nice but not $3K nice. I am just having a hard justifying the extra $3K for a CE. What should I do?

If you downgrade to LE I strongly advise getting the radcals. I do think the blue armor works better than red, but I'm sticking with the CE.

You get more than the topper and gobstopper shooter for 3k.

You get:

- 3d topper
- Gobstopper shooter
- Mirrored backglass
- Radcals
- Sparkle playfield art
- Red machine
- Red armor and wireforms
- Pinblades
- Laser cut rule card
- Signed apron
- "More surprises"

#265 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

For someone who would pick the latter is it just bc money doesn't matter and you want the definitive Wonka regardless how much?

Pretty much. Don't judge!

#268 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

not judging - just curious. That's fine.
Seems like the answer is money doesn't matter which is totally fine and actually is the only answer that makes sense to me on this.

Well, I went LE on POTC because it made the most sense to me. Then I helped a friend unbox a CE, and ever since I've had CE envy. This time I'd rather err on the side of overdoing it than have regret.

#309 5 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

+1 for WONKA
Also, anyone thinking of cool topper options out there? I'm in on an LE, and not crazy about the CE topper look (POTC CE topper is bananas). Maybe a Wonka bar, golden ticket, or something more candy looking than people?

i am hoping the CE topper is something more elaborate than it looks like in the pictures.

#360 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Thanks for the very kind words Dr! Was great talking to you. Let’s just say we have Many sweet custom creations coming soon that we hope everyone likes. As we Love the game and theme we are All in on this title and hope to contribute to its final product.
www.TheModCouplePinball.com
[quoted image]

Someone bit through the wrapper!

#370 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yep, as I remember Augustus Gloop in the movie. Its all in the details! In fact to show my OCD details using this mod as an example. I actually took a real tooth imprint to extract the bite mark exactly. lol no joke. So technically I bit over 200 of these already! lol

That is amazing! Very well done.

#389 4 years ago

Yeah, there really isn’t much to say until the games hit the bricks. Maybe when the CE details get revealed that will spark some chatter.

I have to say, Stern has this right with the reveal and ship being super close together. It’s best to give people the chance to buy when you have their excitement at the highest level.

A friend in the car business says “time kills all car deals” and I have to wonder if time also kills pin purchases. Not that I am out personally - still in on my CE - but the more time there is between reveal and ship, the more chance for people to change their mind, take interest in a different pin, have life/job circumstances change, etc.

#405 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Ok, I have some doubt. Who are these people who need to have a game right away? A pinball machine is kind of a big purchase and most of us have other games to keep us busy. Wouldn‘t most folks want to take some time and weigh their decision?

I want an Oompa Loompa NOW

1 month later
#472 4 years ago
Quoted from TrueJedi:

Do you feel the clearcoat finish on the playfield is just fine and not a more concerning long term issue? I could be reading into people's negatively too much and value your opinion. The sling post solution seem like an easy inexpensive fix.

When mine showed chipping I said "huh, that sucks" - covered it with star posts and went back to happily playing.
In my view the joy this game brings far, far outstrips this issue.

It's not like the whole playfield is disintegrating. Just these specific stress areas, easily covered.

I saw a Ghostbusters once that looked like someone took sandpaper to the playfield. If this were doing that, yeah I'd freak out. It's not.

4 weeks later
#566 4 years ago

My Wonka SE lands Tuesday, thanks Gary of Abel Electronics who has been good to me many times over!

I will be streaming the unboxing and setup on twitch.tv/nspinball.

#569 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

I thought you were in on a CE?
Jeff

I am. I am tired of waiting.

#573 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Ooh, nice!!! Yeah, I agree. Better to buy now than wait. I think you'll dig the SE. Looking forward to your streams!

I’m impatient and dumb with money

Actually it’s really not that dumb. I am confident I can get a reasonable return when I upgrade. I’m adding a shaker to it also.

#603 4 years ago

My Wonka lands today!

I'll be streaming the Escalera-ing and unboxing, then will go offline to play a while, then will set up a stream on the game itself.

Follow twitch.tv/nspinball for updates.

#605 4 years ago
Quoted from Gasoline:

I think Jack may have referenced you last night when he said he was seeing CE purchasers also buying SEs so they didn't have to wait! I liked that he said they are analyzing alternative delivery prioritization options on models in the future!

Well, my SE may replace_ the CE depending on how much I like it!

Kaneda had this right on his podcast - CE buyers should be the ones getting the first machines IMO.

#607 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Disagree. Would rather all the production issues get worked out on the other models before CEs are on the line. Quality over impatience.
(I realize that conflicts with the “I want it NOW” aspect of Wonka)

I don't mind being a guinea pig as long as the support is there to stand behind the fixes...and JJP delivers on that for sure.

#609 4 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Picking up a se today probably. I have a polk subwoofer extra that i want to hook up to it. Is it as easy as sterns, just alligator clips on the cabinet speaker, run the wire to the sub, or more in depth?

Should be the same.

#616 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Any news on your delivery? Looking forward to your stream!

I'm pacing back and forth and looking out the front window a lot!

#627 4 years ago

A quick update:

The stream was a disaster. I was using new hardware and didn’t have any sound, which I didn’t realize. There was a slip on the Escalera near the top stair, at which point my cameraman junked the camera and ran to assist. This led to an alarming video which my mother freaked out about

I am alive, the pin made it up perfectly, and it unboxed/setup perfectly. Absolutely zero problems with the pin!

I’ve been cleaning up cardboard and such while my helpers play. I will set up a propert stream later tonight with gameplay, for the moment I am just recovering and letting my buddies explore!

6D045406-B658-4BAB-BF6E-5D624602CF05 (resized).jpeg6D045406-B658-4BAB-BF6E-5D624602CF05 (resized).jpeg7B1B01EC-1165-4964-B280-4FD8EE6003FF (resized).jpeg7B1B01EC-1165-4964-B280-4FD8EE6003FF (resized).jpeg
#641 4 years ago
Quoted from Gasoline:

Thanks again to our host Derek and can't wait til he starts streaming!

I planned on doing it tonight but couldn’t figure out how to get the LCD monitor out for adding my capture device.

They changed the mechanism and I don’t see how it unlatches now.

Maybe tomorrow. Long day!

#646 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Magnetic - just pull forward on the monitor

Doh - how obvious (and perfect!)

The new monitor mount is very nice. It has supports and does not sag whatsoever.

#647 4 years ago

Question for owners - did you use the left drain post?

I installed the optional post in the empty hole provided for it, but when I put a rubber on it balls got stuck in the midlane.

Curious if I should remove that black "stopper" and try the higher hole, or maybe remove the rubber from the midlane post.

#659 4 years ago

I'll be streaming Wonka on and off this week at twitch.tv/nspinball.

I had a pretty great game with a neat mode:

#673 4 years ago

Here’s my hot take after 24 hrs:

Packing: Very impressed! There were notable changes here from my last shipments. For one, the pallet was much larger than the pin itself, presumably to give it room to prevent damage. Second, the game rested on a foam padded piece of playwood (on top of the pallet.). Lastely, the whole thing was wrapped in thick plastic. Very well protected and arrived with no damage.

Build Quality: Also outstanding. No issues of any kind. The game is exactly as you’d expect for a brand new high-end toy. All I had to do was unwrap it and plug it in. As a measure of caution, I did run a switch test first and clean the playfield, but neither was necessary as all the switches tested out correctly and the playfield came back clean as well. Great job JJP!

Gameplay: On the first day I didn’t play much and instead let my buddies who helped move it play as much as they liked while I dealt with disposing of the packing materials. I probably only had 5-10 games the first day. Initially I was pretty frustrated by it, but chalked it up to a long day and resolved to try again the next. Today I put around 8 hours into the game. The first couple hours I was having serious problems with lots of left-lane and center drains. I was getting frustrated...but then something clicked. Suddenly I was able to nudge better and defend from the drains. The rules started to make sense (thanks VERY much to help from the JJP folks who kindly joined my stream.). And then it all started coming together. As I gained a better understanding of the goals, the danger spots, how to read the screen and how to interpret the callouts, I really started to have a lot of fun. There is quite a bit more to this pin than you’ve seen on the streams so far. I managed to unlock an “Oompah Loompah Odyssey” mode which blew me away and had me laughing with sheer joy!

My wife is also taking to the game and managed to dethrone my ~1.1M GC score with a ~1.6M score of her own.

I don’t think anyone will be disappointed with this game. Well done, JJP!

#678 4 years ago
Quoted from Attackfrommark:

zaphx How did you decide on the SE over other models (came out first, value, etc)? Thanks for the helpful first impressions and great streams!

Easy...it shipped first.

I have a CE slot also. My thinking was I'd try the SE now and sell when CE ships.

#682 4 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

Remember, ZaphX's all about "Why buy one, when I can buy two at twice the price?"

B3O9HLDIAAEu1jF (resized).jpgB3O9HLDIAAEu1jF (resized).jpg
#683 4 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

Can somebody take a close-up/high-res of the side of the backbox?

IMG_0023.jpegIMG_0023.jpegIMG_0024.jpegIMG_0024.jpeg
#684 4 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

Remember, ZaphX's all about "Why buy one, when I can buy two at twice the price?"

I am not a patient man.

z9c83 (resized).jpgz9c83 (resized).jpg
#686 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

He’s looking for the spelling errors that were on the prototypes and made a huge deal of it even after everyone including Keith told him it happens in prototypes and would be fixed in production. He even pointed it out again 2 months later how it was still misspelled on the same prototypes from 2 months earlier as if JJP was going to fix the prototypes.
Hopefully this is the end of it.

That's exactly what I figured.

#695 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Great score. Hopefully more streams came come out so i can learn more and more about the game. Would love to see some LE streams soon.

I’m streaming off and on all day (NSPinball)

#703 4 years ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

I'm coming to terms with the code focusing on the Oompa Loompas rather than the children, as long as its fun to play!

I would say the code focuses very much on the children.

Each kid has 3 states: qualified, completed, and collected (for kid multiball.)
This is depicted on the pipe on the left.
When qualified, the kid's picture is there.
When completed, the small circle to the left of their picture contains a relevant icon. (Gum for violet, glasses for Mike TV etc.)
When collected, steam is around their picture.

Each kid has a color, and the shots that qualify/complete them match their color.

Agustus: Red
Violet: Violet (naturally)
Charlie: Orange
Veruca: Pink
Mike TV: Cyan

Each kid's shots and modes have callouts (and for some, video) relating to their part of the story.

Agustus is all about being stuck in the pipe and is qualified via spinner. There's lots of callouts about the pressure building, etc.
Violet is about the GUM targets.
Charlie is the fizzy lifting drink room. The spinner seems to make him and grandpa rise levels, possibly other shots (not sure).
Veruca is the good egg/bad egg scene. In her mode you have to make green good egg shots while avoiding red bad egg ones.

Collecting kids for Kid Multiball is done with the captive ball shot, and makes their profile photo start steaming. Starting the Kid Multiball via the far left shot will have more balls and rewards depending on how many kids you go in with.

#705 4 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

Thanks for posting the pics, Honda said he's not even getting Wonka, so not sure why he's still here. He already yelled at me on PM for daring to point out any errors in prototypes.

Hopefully you are now gruntled

#708 4 years ago

I absolutely will. I wanted to give a few days play first for my opinions to solidify.

They have been steadily improving the more I play!

#717 4 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

I just got my game unboxed and set up, and its having a couple issues. Hopefully you guys can tell me what im doing wrong. I made sure it was level, but on a lot of center drains, the ball is going left, instead of right in the trough, making it not register the ball drain and just seems like a bad design. The other is the gobstopper subway lock. It will aknowledge the lock, but the ball gets caught up in the subway somewhere and wont spit it out until the second ball search. Nothing seems to be binding it up either. Any help would be great

Where is the vertical level? I run mine with the top of the bubble at the second line from the bottom.

For side to side Did you level the glass, or the playfield?

#747 4 years ago
Quoted from Gasoline:

Playing this game for hours upon hours at Derek's (zaphX), I have to say this game is truly fun! Three items I want to call out:
1) The main LCD screen:
Originally, I thought there was a lot of real estate wasted, too static of an environment, and the relevant status information being displayed too small. All wasted opportunity. I was not a fan. What I have come to learn is there is so much information hidden on this screen in a subtle way that they almost become Easter eggs as you discover their value the more you play. Now that I have a better understanding of what to look for and the value the screen's information conveys, I'm liking how ingenious the thought that went into the complex UI design. I still think more can be added and details can be made larger in certain parts.
2) The sound blender:
Again, I initially called out that my perception on sound clip integration seemed sloppy and random. The more I played, the more I realized I was wrong. There is a reason various sounds do happen when they happen and I just didn't understand at first. Most sounds happen as a clue of what's going on or the mode you've entered. Just takes time to learn. Also with the stacking of multi-ball and activities, it makes more sense why the sound clips go off and are necessary. I hope more of the sound IP will be added/integrated.
3) You have to play the game (and multiple times):
I can't emphasize enough, it is a different experience playing the game vs watching the stream. A lot of the issues being called out go away or become less relevant as you begin to understand the game and are in it's actual presence. This game is about longevity and discovery of the rules/objectives. The experience of the lights, sounds and physical interaction make this game magical. Watching the streams do not convey this.
Kudos has to be given to JJP for the layers of complexity, thought put into the design for this game, coding, and the fun in discovery of the details while playing. You can not understand this until you've put many hours on this pin! They have been taking a lot of gruff and getting knit-picked for decisions on certain aspects of this game. They deserve more praise too!
I can't say it enough, WW is fun and addictive pin. Congrats to all those who took the plunge!

Thanks for hanging out and putting up some scores for me to work on

I think the bottom line on this pin is that it cannot be judged on a hot take - it requires time to learn and appreciate.

#750 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I enjoyed the streams and the comments from you and Gasoline, as well as the interview on Kaneda's. Last night I decided to finally take the plunge and hopefully my SE will be arriving next week!

Thanks, glad you're enjoying the streams - we are enjoying making them!

#756 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

What’s your best score? I have played it twice in a home environment and my second score was 899,000

Mine is 1.1 million. Susan has GC at 1.6 million.

#761 4 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

Anyone added a Shaker motor to their SE yet? I'm thinking about doing it, wondering where you all got your shaker motors. I see the JJP shaker motor on pinball life that says it works with Wonka. Anyone tried that one? I don't see any for sale directly on JJP's site, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

I added that exact shaker from PBL. It works great! Simple to do, connection is right there.

I will say it is used fairly sparingly, at least so far. You get a bump when you hit the Gobstobber target, a super nice increasing rumble for Wonkavator Multiball, and some other effects in sync with multiball modes.

#770 4 years ago
Quoted from RhinoPins:

Gameplay initial thoughts: Tons of STDMs. :/ More thoughts to come!

It gets better

Things I’ve found:

- Keep it away from the slings at all costs. When it’s bouncing between slings you want to be banging upward like a madman to try and get it outta there.
- Backhanding the Gobstopper is hella safer than forehanding it.
- If you have a clean loop through the orbit (no pop contact) it is going SDTM. You absolutely have to nudge on the way out.

It’s a very difficult game but definitely rewarding and fun!

#772 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you try lowering the power on them a little ?
LTG : )

That would be cheating! They are aggro by design (I assume) and I want to learn to defeat that.

#774 4 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

How bout a topper???

CE is supposed to get one!

#776 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Mine out of the box were much softer than they were factory on my pirates (my potc slings are a mutha).

Yeah POTC slings are fierce but I leave those at default also. I want to retain the designer’s vision.

#784 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I agree and typically do the same which I thought was odd that you said your Wonka slings are brutal because mine are relatively soft. Other owners?

They aren’t brutal due to power - they pop appropriately - they are brutal because they cause outlane drains so often!

#812 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Here are some pics. Black circles are the screws to remove last. Yellow arrow points to the coil's sleeve you want to check. Yellow circle is the entire mech.[quoted image][quoted image]

I've had some minor issues with balls in the gobstopper subway. The symptom is a lot of clicks, followed by the sound of a coin flattening on the desk and finally the VUK pop. In my case it always eventually worked before ball search kicked in.

The first thing I did was bump the VUK from 18 to 20, which did not fix the issue.

I saw this helpful writeup from Lermods so I got an exacto knife and file and performed the surgery to remove the coil sleeve lip and make it flush in the mech. Unfortunately the problem persisted, to my surprise!

At this point I backed the VUK back down to the default of 18 and tried the other setting, the Gobstopper Lock Coil. I changed that one to 20 and the problem is fixed.

Every machine is different; I bring all this up just to suggest people bump the lock coil first before disassembling as it's way easier and might be all that you need.

#827 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I guess that's part of the design of this being a faster play location game by Lawlor. Definitely feels unfriendly.
Thanks for reminding me though, I'll definitely remember for next play!

The game is brutal but gives you just enough to keep you trying again.

I am really looking forward to seeing pros like DeadFlip and KevInBuffalo play and learn how they defend against some of the playfield hazards!

#848 4 years ago
Quoted from suave84:

Anyone put the left outlane post in? I did with the supplied rubber and the inlane is now too small to fit the ball through. I swapped the right outlane post rubber with it and it makes it through sometimes but will occasionally get hung up. Anyone else experiencing this or am I missing something?

I had the same experience. I have not tried the upper plugged hole.

Running the post without the rubber seemed to make it worse so I just took it out.

I’m forcing myself to learn to defend against it.

#851 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

So is the hole drilled wrong? Is there a post position that could split the difference that they didn’t find in time for release?

I think it’s common for outlines to have more than one position.

It is probable the intent for the lower hole is to run the post without the rubber.

We will see when the manual comes out I guess!

#868 4 years ago
Quoted from fusion:

Hi, just curious how the clear coat is holding up on the wonka standard models. Hopefully not a repeat of what seems to be going on with the POTC fields

Those chipping threads are out of control hysteria.

#871 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Luckily I haven't had the trough ball issue, but one thing I noticed is the shoot again doesn't light when I've earned an extra ball. Is it supposed to be like that?

Yes, extra balls (by default) go on the pile and you get an extra turn at the end of the rotation.

#897 4 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Anyone have an issue with the gobstopper not registering hits because the switch at the top left gets stuck behind the plastic?
Tried adjusting springs but no luck.[quoted image][quoted image]

Kinda hard to see what is happening from the pics, but is the switch itself sticking closed? (like the plastic nub inside the microswitch?)

I had that happen on a game once and fixed it by slightly loosening the 2 screws on the switch itself. The nub popped out and happily complied from that point forward.

#920 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Is that a bracket underneath to prop it up?
Looks a lot better! My POTC still has sag. I'm glad they've made two improvements here.

Try loosening the 4 bolts that hold the arm to the monitor panel, rotate it and torque it back down. I was able to eliminate sag doing this.

#928 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Sad. Reading this makes me wonder if her health and mental state had any influence on why Violet doesn't seem to be in the actual game all that much (ie: was her permission sought for any parts of her voice or likeness, and was she unable to provide that approval?). Has anyone seen the "blueberry" imagery anywhere, for example? There's a ton I haven't seen of this game yet, but it does seem like a notable omission.
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/willy-wonka-actress-denise-nickerson-dies-at-62

When you complete her character she is shown as a blueberry in the popup.

#934 4 years ago
Quoted from GrimDog:

Thanks going to go play Wonka tonight and see. I love DI but my family is very “meh” on it and they love Wonka (movies/books)

DI is a curious machine to me. It looks like it has a lot of depth to grow into over time as a home-owned machine...but it has yet to get its hooks into me such that I'd buy one.

I feel like there is something there, and people who own it LOVE it, but I just haven't gotten it yet.

#936 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Similar games in a lot of ways. Wonka appeals to my wife more than DI but not by much. Neither my wife nor I are big fans of the Wonka movie but the game is fun and keeps you coming back for more. DI I like a lot also so both appeal to me.

Wonka absolutely has the "ok one more try" thing going on.

#937 4 years ago

Gonna be streaming today with cjchand Gasoline and @sheriffbarclay!

https://www.twitch.tv/events/5mB2NDQySuG7te_g7fQgIw

#942 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I have temporarily fixed the issue of balls falling out of the trough mid-game using a piece of packing foam and some masking tape. It is the most low rent fix for a brand new pinball machine ever, but it's something.

That is so weird. It has to be some kind of leveling issue, right? I know you confirmed the leveling, but is the trough fully screwed into the playfield and flush like it should be?

Maybe a zip tie across the back would be slightly less wonky...

#950 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

One of the screws near the hole WAS not all the way when when I first got it. I have since tightened it but the issue is still there. I can't understand it either. The worst part is that it always seems to happen in the middle of a crazy mode or multiball and it just kills the momentum (not to mention the ball save).
I got a private message from a JJP employee after I posted my pictures and he said a fix was coming. I don't know more than that. Perhaps a few models had some faulty troughs? From the cross section posted here, it is clear that I'm not the only one with the issue. As you said, each machine is different...

Maybe I've just been lucky so far? JJP support is great, I'm deeply curious on the root cause/fix once resolved.

#962 4 years ago

We had a monster 6hr stream today at https://www.twitch.tv/videos/452282458

Thanks to @gasoline, cjchand and SheriffBarclay for hanging out and having a great time!

#964 4 years ago
Quoted from PBMAN:

Anybody know how to turn on the Shaker in the menu. I can’t find it. Tapped into that for my Pinstadium Flasher. Thanks

It's on by default. If you have plugged it in, it's on. You will feel it on Gobstopper hits and multiballs, primarily.

There is a test in the coil test to fire it from the start button.

#966 4 years ago
Quoted from PBMAN:

Thanks so much. I don’t have one. Just tapped plug for pinstadium flasher. Something tells me that won’t trigger it on.

I bet it will. Power to those pins is power to those pins.

#971 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Just to be sure. Page B-34 in the manual. Both settings need to be set to NO to enable the camera.

Wait, is the manual out? URL!

#974 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Been for quite some time. jerseyjackpinball.com - Support - Downloads - Pirates.

But...this is the Wonka thread? Was looking for Wonka manual.

#976 4 years ago

I did a little customization on my machine today.

IMG_1351.jpegIMG_1351.jpeg
#978 4 years ago
Quoted from Cigaretteman:

Got a shipment in today
First LE ready to go to the customer tomorrow. Is this the first LE in the world?[quoted image]

Wow, first one I've seen in the wild anyway! Can you take some closeups of the playfield, secret machine, wireforms, side art etc?

#983 4 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

You know...there is very little added to the LE for another 2K, they should at least do some inside art blades. WEAK SAUCE JJP,,,

For the record, 2K gets you:

- Painted legs/armor/wireforms
- Wonkavator lock
- Better side art
- Better bezel art
- Invisiglass
- Shaker
- External volume control with headphone jack
- Number plate

To me it's worth the 2k?

#986 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

headphone jack and external audio control

I knew I'd miss something! Will edit, thanks Chris.

#989 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I think this will be the first JJP where the SE is actually the decent bet for the money.

The SE is really a very nice machine, I'm very impressed for it being a "pro."

#1003 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Seems to me the standard is the sensible choice.
I really dont fancy the look of the wonkavator lock, but the sidearts looks better, but not 2k$ better.

The standard is a great machine in its own right! It's completely not "settling" to get one.

#1009 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I’m going to add a shaker to my SE, which will cost about $130. I don’t care about invisiglass at this time. The Wonkavator rules still work on the SE (just ask my GC wife...) and I like the black power coating - the game is still beautiful. To each their own, but the upgrades were not worth it to me (or maybe I just have less disposable income than some people). With the exception of a few mechanical issues, I am extremely thrilled with my SE purchase.

Man your wife has your GC too? I've been trying like hell to dethrone Susan.

I got SO CLOSE. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/452179035

#1013 4 years ago

Yes that’s the one! Screws right in and plugs right up. Very easy.

#1029 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I’m getting a SE soon.You guys that have had one for awhile tell me why I made the right choice or should I have waited for something else?

You've chosen an outstanding well built game. Don't second-guess it. Enjoy it!

#1041 4 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

I didn't realize manufacturers allowed their distributors to price gauge.

Gouge?

#1046 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Stupid question perhaps that's already been asked/answered and I just missed it but... I keep seeing something about an additional post that's included but not installed that makes the game harder/easier... Could someone enlighten me as to what that's all about?
Thanks,
Jeff

The left outlane has two screw holes (one capped with a plastic bump.) You can put a post in that hole if you want, or move the bump and put it in the other hole, or neither.

IMG_1263.jpegIMG_1263.jpeg
#1048 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'd heard the post is difficult to get by, if installed.
Is that accurate? Anyone?
(Pretty sure I recall you saying you weren't installing yours.)

I had it installed briefly. If you have a rubber on it, the ball gets stuck. If you put it in without rubber, the help it offers is dubious.

#1051 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

So you left it or removed it?

Removed it. Trying to "play better!"

#1080 4 years ago
Quoted from Cigaretteman:

I played 4-5 games on the LE before it went on location and I was kind of blown away. It shoots so well and it is fun and beautiful! I watched the reveal and was less than impressed and thought this might not be up to JJP standards. I can tell you it is for sure. If you have not played it yet get out there and try it out there is so much to do.
Also very important: not a single issue out of the box.

See? That's what I've been saying. You've -got- to play it. Once you do, it gets its hooks in you.

#1085 4 years ago

Finally took down the wife’s 1.65M GC tonight! It has held for two solid weeks against myself, @cjchand, Gasoline and @sheriffbarclay.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/454316877

#1088 4 years ago
Quoted from TonyScoots:

Love your videos, always enjoy watching the gameplay plus the awesome video set up, Great Job

Hey thanks man! I really appreciate that. I try hard to make all this stuff look and sound good.

#1092 4 years ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

How would you rate it (scale of 1-10) vs POTC?

It is an interesting complement to POTC. Very different game, and much more difficult requiring lots of response just to stay alive.

If POTC is a 10, and it is to me, I’d give this an 8 or 9.

#1098 4 years ago
Quoted from Gasoline:

Is POTC perfection of pinball to deserve a 10?
In my opinon, I would give POTC a 9/9.5 with Wonka at 8.5 (could go up with code changes). I guess it comes down to the number of categories you want to rate down. These machines are apples and oranges in game play comparison. Physical attributes/character selection POTC has more going for it but I find Wonka extremely addictive (just one more game).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It is to me. I was asked for my opinion, right?

The Top 100 has a community consensus.

#1131 4 years ago

Back up before the upgrade!

I was cavalier about this - the last update was fine after all - and got myself into a boot loop.

Now I’m having to reinstall 1.06 then the patch.

I’m certain my scores and plays will be lost (around 1200).

E26A4378-A5FD-4E83-A51A-01313A3E6F5E (resized).jpegE26A4378-A5FD-4E83-A51A-01313A3E6F5E (resized).jpeg
#1134 4 years ago

Good news! Putting on 1.06 ISO did not nuke settings. I was able to apply 1.09 after that and everything is safe. Whew.

#1137 4 years ago
Quoted from Capn12:

You getting in a little Wonka stream this evening? My favorite to watch.

I could do that! I had a guest last night who didn’t want to be on stream so I moved the stuff out of the way, but why not.

#1143 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Yes this is a new feature in isos going forward. There are screen prompts if you want to reset them, but it doesn't happen by default anymore. The current potc ISO sports this as well (for future ISO installs)

Man that is outstanding! Thank you so much for that.

#1155 4 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Still having trouble updating the code. In the menu i go to usb update correct? Im thinking i have a flash drive formatted wrong or moved the files wrong

Is the folder named "wonka_update" on the USB?

#1157 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Got my new ball trough installed.. No ball wedging issues, all optos working correctly.

That is great news! Now, what's your best score?

#1160 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I still suck, haven't quite cracked a million yet. My wife on the other hand has gotten just past a million like 3 times.

Yeah my wife started out strong on this title too.

#1169 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Seeing the photo of the Golden Tickets brings me to a question: Do they carry over? Can you collect them over several games?

Nope - the only thing that carries over is the Wonkavator super locks.

#1184 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Do the playfield magnets fling the balls around a lot?

Yes! They seem to activate mosty in multiballs for me, and they definitely throw surprising yanks on the ball.

#1196 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I encountered a weird bug/ crash last night. My wife and I were playing a 2 player game and she was up. She hit the 2nd Super Lock (Wonkavator) and as soon as the screen came up, the audio got slow and choppy, then cut. The screen remained frozen and then the playfield started to follow suit. The light show slowed down and the Gobstopper slowly stopped spinning until eventually everything was frozen (the flippers were still working but no target hits were registering).
Rebooting the game cleared it, but this is the first time I've had the pinball equivalent of a BSOD. Anyone ever seen something similar? This is 1.09SE by the way.
EDIT/Update: I submitted the bug report to JJP Support on this.

I had a bug yesterday where the saucer just kept registering over and over, and did not eject the ball. Nothing was wrong with the ejector, as it kicked it out with ball search after I forced a tilt, and behaved properly thereafter.

I caught it on video and tweeted it to @JJPSoftware.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/456541117

#1202 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer31520:

A lot of drains on left side . I put post where screw hole is but then balls get stuck there . Im assuming black cap can be taken off and a post put there ???[quoted image]

Same experience for me. I just removed the post and have been trying to "play better." COuld not easily pick out the black plug, didn't try very hard.

#1225 4 years ago
Quoted from psexton:

It appears the Limited Edition has a "Big Points" label on the large insert under the gobstopper, but the Standard Edition does not. I think the SE needs a label of some kind as that large insert with no words/writing on it looks odd. Anyone come up with a mod or something else to dress up the large insert under the gobstopper on the SE?

I wondered about that, it really does look quite bare. I guess it's an SE nerf, and one I can certainly live with.

#1229 4 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

God that's pretty.

Does the LE have RGB GI like POTC did? That looks so much more pink and red than my SE.

Come on CE's, ship already!

#1234 4 years ago

I've got a couple hundred games in already on my SE, and I don't miss it one bit.
I'll be purchasing a shaker, volume control & headphone jack, and some kind of wonkavator replacement toy for the upper left corner. The other $1500? I'll pocket it towards my next JJP pin

I'm interested in the volume/headphone jack also, is that available on the site yet?

#1235 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

My shaker motor is on the way now. The price of the SE fit my budget and I am very happy with it. One interesting thing about Super Lock and Wonkavator multiball on the SE is that not having the game wait for a physical lock actually makes for better/ faster flow. The game registers the lock and keeps right on going. I have had multiple games where I actually managed all 3 Wonkavator locks in a single game, and I am not particularly great at this (or any other) pin.

Yeah! I end up grabbing 2 or 3 jackpots before the multiball has even started. It did occur to me that the LE/CE will sit on the ball and make you wait.

#1240 4 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

I don't know. I'd rather pay the extra money for the blue instead of black, Wonkavator, and all the other add-ons already assembled.
Also good to wait for all the SE owners to find all the bugs that will be fixed before I get mine.
Patience.

But I want an Oompa Loompa NOW!

#1255 4 years ago
Quoted from SaintJB:

Just got to Wonka's Office for the second time ever. I got it last weekend and my roommate got it tonight. Such a cool mode, one entire half of the screen and playfield goes dark.[quoted image]

That is awesome. I am sad I didn't get to it myself first. I've been holding off on streams that did.

#1258 4 years ago
Quoted from mjruser:

Hello All,
Now that some of you have gotten your hands on Wonka, how do you feel about it compared with the favorite machine in YOUR collection?
Thoughts and the other pins name please. Your other favorite pin gives us a bit of insight into your thoughts on Wonka perhaps?
Thanks!
Mike

Favorite pin is JJPOTC. Wonka is absolutely a worthy complement to it. Very different style of game that requires different skills. I like having the different experiences.

I was worried JJPOTC ruined me for all pins, but this one I’m enjoying just as much in different ways.

#1270 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I expect us SE owners who just COULDN’T WAIT will have an option for these soon.

Guilty as charged. No regrets.

Veruca_Salt (resized).jpgVeruca_Salt (resized).jpg
#1292 4 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

I have been considering not even opening and selling it since the streams. Joe Katz gave me the “What you see is what you get answer”. I’m not thrilled about the way the code is so far but my wife is very excited about it.

I am curious if it grows on you as you learn it. My knee jerk response was very different from my assessment after a solid day of play. The callouts and code made more sense to me once I understood the goals and rules.

#1302 4 years ago
Quoted from psexton:

Hard to say as i am not sure what triggers the diverter during game play,if I had to guess maybe it diverts 1/3 of the time when it should or maybe less. I can see I have seen it do it but perhaps that was on a game where I did not get the error on turning on the game. Not every turn on of the game gives the error.

There is a coil test for the diverter - start there and see if it engages.

#1307 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

A couple ideas. during game play, does it pull all the way back up to release the ball, or does it sit there ? ( if so the spring on the back of the coil assembly has stretched and doesn't have enough strength to pull the diverter up when a ball is there )

I had a weak diverter lift too, and when I investigated I found the spring itself was just fine, but the point on the "tab" of the diverter it was grabbing was causing it to lose leverage.

I put some heat shrink on the tab which allowed the spring to grab in the center of the tab, and now it springs reliably.

IMG_1391.jpegIMG_1391.jpeg
#1309 4 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Definitely never said that. But buyers of the SEs were clearly used as guinea pigs. No way JJP was going to have the people who were willing to pay more (LEs and CEs) be the ones to test their games out and report back.
Patience is key.

That happens with every 1.0 product. Early adopters are, generally speaking, willing to endure the bumps.

First production cars are the same way, I remember getting a new '93 Honda del Sol and it had a fault which caused the rear window to explode. Fixed under warranty.

#1333 4 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Where's the Wonkavator?!?

That's an SE, yo.

#1388 4 years ago
Quoted from Greenandwhite:

Anybody else find it hard to believe that most of the 500 of the CE models have been sold? Final package has yet to be unveiled and it goes for $12,500.
Game is great but I don’t have FOMO and think interested pin heads will be able to buy one from distributors for a long time.

Not surprised, I know of 4 CE sales to direct friends of mine including my own.

#1392 4 years ago
Quoted from Greenandwhite:

Friendly $100 wager with the winnings donated to Pinside? I bet WW CE model will still be available six months from now.

Nope - I can't say I care that deeply about it.

#1400 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackzarak:

Ok I just got a shaker from pinball life I played 1 game and didnt even notice the shaker unless i hit the Gobstopper target other than that i didnt feel any shaking at all... is there a setting to increase the motor or did I have to do something I settings because I couldn't find any setting? Hope jjp will do a update to get full interaction with the shaker motor its jus not worth it as of now kinda disappointed.

I had the same initial impression, then I started to notice it more. The gobstopper hits give a little blip, but you'll definitely feel it when you launch some of the multiballs and wonkatania.

#1404 4 years ago

Trough boards arrived yesterday, as well as some other warrantied parts. Back in business. The magnets did some serious wacky shit to my ball during Oompa Loompa Odyssey. Dang!!

Those magnets do nothing forever then suddenly WHAM.

I had a ball heading south shoot abruptly upward last night!

#1423 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I've been trying to since release b/c I love the theme so damn much

Man, I say do it. Get an SE. Beat on it a while. If it's not moving you sell it for minimal loss.

#1430 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yes - I agree. Good to hear. I'm thinking about it still now that I was able to actually enjoy a game recently as they toned down the effects....we'll see. It always shot so well.....

FWIW I don't hear anything different in the effects from the reveal streams to current production. Not saying there's not anything, I could be overlooking it, but it seems the same to me.

#1440 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Hmm. Did your hearing change too, just like mine?
I was pretty sure it's mellowed out a good bit. The audio annoyances feel in the background MUCH more than months ago, even a bit since last month.

I really don't think so. I played back the original Buffalo stream with Pat Lawlor playing, then one of my recent ones. I really think you guys are just realizing that playing it, the sounds work fine. Can't judge a pin by a stream

#1444 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Sound aside, me going from awful scores of 80K and lower, to 180K and lower, helped me enjoy the game a good bit more! I still don't feel modes have weight in this game, but surprise...surprise, sucking less....made the game considerably more FUN!!!

It definitely has a learning curve, and as you start to climb it, it's more enjoyable.

#1446 4 years ago

Ok the diverter is really starting to piss me off a lot.

Problem is bouncebacks where the ball doesn't end up diverting. I spent some time with a few solutions tonight, none of which worked:

Weather stripping: Too thick, kept the ball from falling into the hole.
Fuzzy velcro: This seemed to help some, but did not resolve the problem.
Clear cabinet bumper (flat/wide): Same problem as the weather stripping, it was too thick and blocked the hole.

If anyone has additional suggestions for this issue I am all ears.

#1451 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Following ... mine does bounce backs and diverter misses also. Maybe just lobby Joe and the software guys that when it's not in a multiball mode, just keep the diverter in place until another switch is triggered. Not sure why the switch would need to switch back so quickly to not still divert a bounce back from the diverter. Just an idea.

I had the same idea - longer coil hold - but the issue (I believe) is that the coils can't stay energized for too long without heating up, which causes problems of its own.

#1456 4 years ago

Can you show me where on the table this issue is? I can't seem to envision it.

The Wonka "butter box" above the upper left flipper.

#1458 4 years ago

What's it doing? Or not doing? Is that the mech that causes the ball to drop down from the left wireform to the magnet above the upper left flipper from time to time? Mine does that, but it's only occasionally. Is that normal? What's it supposed to do?

Yes that's the mech. Sometimes the diverter engages but the ball does not drop as intended, either due to bouncing back up the ramp or by blowing past it too quickly. It's frustrating when it happens because if the game is attempting to divert to the upper left flipper, it's because there is a good gameplay reason for it.

#1461 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

I dont know many modern games using EOS switches

Pirates has them. I'd be surprised if Wonka doesn't.

I know this because I got an EOS switch error on a Pirates when a wire broke off the solder joint.

#1487 4 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

Black Pearl left flipper?

Nope, main left flipper. It was easy to find and fix.

#1499 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Just joined the Wonka club!
Question does anyone know how to adjust main screen contrast?
Thanks

Pull the monitor straight out (it's held in with strong magnets) and mess with the buttons on the back.

#1502 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Are the buttons to adjust labeled

It's a menu system. Arrows and enter IIRC.

#1536 4 years ago
Quoted from RhinoPins:

The black rubber tip on the shooter rod broke today. I have around 650 plays. doh!

I bought a dozen shooter tips from Marco after getting a bad one OOTB on a machine. I have never regretted having them and use them a lot more often than I expected to.

#1543 4 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Hey guys! New Wonka owner here. Arrived today. Game plays fine with 1 exception. Whenever the ball goes into the gobstopper hole it forces a ball search and then the ball is released and goes to the upkicker. Before the ball search it isn’t released. What should I do to fix this? What is the issue that’s happening.[quoted image]

Very common. First kick the gobstopper lock coil up 1 or 2 notches. If it still happens after that, you may need to trim the coil sleeve (search this thread for details on that.)

Try the coil power first, as I went straight to the sleeve trim and it didn't fix things until I adjusted the power.

#1549 4 years ago

Update: gobstopper vuk issue fix-increase release and vuk power by 2 each. Fires and released every time.
Wonkavator release. Increase milliseconds by 2-4. Works now.
Only remaining issue is diverter bounceback 20% of the time.
Pf issue

Diverter bounceback is unsolved at this time as far as I know. Glad the others were small software tweaks!

#1556 4 years ago

Y’all got some catching up to do. Only night 1, scores are looking good
Finishing installing all mods and pinstadiums. Got the game entirely working minus diverter.
Pics are scores, and pinstadiums on and off in my game room with no lights on.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Do not stress about the diverter - we’re all in the same boat on that for now.

Your scores are outstanding! I find this game to be extremely difficult and aggressive towards the player.

#1567 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Hey Wonka owners!Is updating to 1.09 safe and better?

Yes

#1572 4 years ago

Just a tip for all your pinball bro’s. If you wanna hit the spinner/special lock shot every time. Flip at almost the very top of the flipper right after the magnet releases. Been working on dialing it in and now I am at 80-90 percent success.

I aim for the arrow on the playfield.

#1603 4 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Holy crap! There's already a SE up for sale?!?
Starting to reconsider buying this game. The description says it's about six weeks old. Unreal.

It could be an upgrader. I’m considering putting my SE up as I expect CEs soon.

#1661 4 years ago
Quoted from Weedlum:

Got my LE delivered this evening. #81. Shoots super smooth. I really prefer it with the left lane post in.
I ran into the subway kicker issue. Had to turn up the power to max to get it to work, but it worked. I’m getting a lower diverted error in the menu. When I test the coil it works, but the ball is only getting diverted 10% of the times it should(based on the sound effect firing). I’ll have to dig in to fix it tomorrow.
I’m loving the game so far. I’m consistently getting around 1 million and I had 3 or 4 gobstoppers collected in gobstopper multiball. Once I get the diverter working, I’m sure I’ll get more wonkavator multiballs too.

Curious to hear your diverter fix. Mine works around 80% of the time, but the 20% that fail are super frustrating.

#1723 4 years ago

Good grief I'm only 3 weeks of play into my SE and my right lower flipper rubber is nearly split open already. Anyone have any recommendations on what to use?

Consistent with my experience on suzo/happ red rubbers regardless of which game.

Hit up titanpinball.com - their rings clean up nicer and wear better.

#1756 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I’ve always received this error,it seems to me this was an issue but I can’t find in forum.Can anyone educate me on this issue.Everthing seems to be functioning properly[quoted image]

EOS is end of stroke. It’s a switch that detects when a flipper is held, so it can adjust the voltage down and preserve the coil/keep it from cooking.

You should see a leaf switch somewhere near the upper right flipper, see if one of the wires came desoldered. Easy fix if so.

#1758 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Thanks I’ll check today.Hey Zaphx
when do you suspect the next update will happpen?

Man how should I know? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Despite accusations on pinside and soundcloud, I don’t work for JJP or have any kind of special relationship.
Just an enthusiastic customer who likes what they do.

#1834 4 years ago

I also have the diverter issue.

#1853 4 years ago

Did you try plugging it into a separate TV/monitor nearby? That will help eliminate which part is bad - the wonkavision, the cable, or something at the CPU side.

#1924 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

I just want to hear the bad egg song during game play.
Must have more movie music by far.

It plays when you’re in Veruca’s good egg/bad egg mode.

#1938 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Have not updated the new code so I am assuming you're telling me with new code the song actually plays now?
With her singing?
Not just background music.

No, it plays the background music of the “I want it now” song. You’re not gonna hear her singing. That would play horribly against the other sounds/callouts.

#2019 4 years ago

For those of you (like me) who are annoyed with the near-instant ball launch that happens with the latest code release, try turning down the power of your auto-launch coil to 10. That pretty much puts the ball right in the saucer for my game, which is very much preferable to having it fly over to the pops.

The pops are evil!

#2022 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

I will agree with you, but have you ever played a Twilight zone with super-sensitive leaf switches in the pop bumpers? The most ruthless of all games with pops IMHO!!!

I have and agree.

#2058 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Oh and a none spinning Gobstopper after day 1
Is this my last JJP?
Hell no
That why Collectors have multiple pins!
JP2 do next week.

I have found that pinball is an imperfect science.
Accepting and embracing that, as you appear to have done, makes it easier to take

#2135 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Anyways we should try to keep this about Wonka after all it’s the club thread.

To that end...anyone manage to get 3 golden tickets yet?

This game is pretty extreme in terms of difficulty to me. The new firmware that fixes the diverter screws the player with the autoplunge into the pops!

#2165 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

We've only played with SW 1.13 since our LE arrived on Saturday.
Sometimes (but not all the time), when the ball is coming out of the pop bumpers, seemingly headed SDTM, the magnets take the ball off course, just enough that the ball hits a flipper, or maybe sometimes a sling.
Was this always there, or is it maybe something new to address the danger of the pop bumpers?

Oh I will love it if that is the case. I've gotten in the habit of shaking the machine as the ball exits the pops to defend against this.

#2198 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

It does seem as though the most recent code update changed the video/audio for Wonkavator multiball. They shortened it, took out at least one of the callouts. Why'd they do that? Lame.

No, they didn't.

It's exactly the same in 1.13 as it was in 1.07 or whatever it shipped with.

Compare this from July 3 to current:

#2200 4 years ago
Quoted from Capn12:

It has changed from the 'alpha' code, or whatever was in place, at the Wonka reveal.

Right. It did change from the reveal, but it did not change in the latest code update as suggested.

#2240 4 years ago

My wife blew this thing up tonight - completely destroyed my 2.6M high score!

FF885EF8-B27F-43FC-9222-3FDE9517B723.jpegFF885EF8-B27F-43FC-9222-3FDE9517B723.jpeg
#2245 4 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

I see she put the glass back on before taking the picture. Smart.

Actually I saw the whole thing. I was next to her playing JP and as she started approaching my score I drained out and just stared.

I’m really glad that she doesn’t just tolerate pinball, she’s fully into it. She practices constantly, works hard at improving, and is a forbidable competitor.

#2265 4 years ago
Quoted from Weedlum:

Gobstopper golden ticket is obtained by collecting 5 super jackpots in gobstopper multiball. Light super jackpots by hitting ramps. The number of ramp hits needed increases after each super jackpot. Super jackpots are collected at the gobstopper hole. The number of super jackpots collected is held for the entire game and visible on the main screen as spinning gobstoppers on little pedestals.
Kid Multiball ticket is collected by hitting all 7 jackpots in kid multiball. Each kid has their own shot associated with it for a jackpot. The camera ramp is a double jackpot. Collect 5 jackpots to light super jackpot at the left lane that starts kid multiball. Progress is saved for the entire game.
Wonkavator ticket is collected by finishing 3 stages of wonkavator multiball. First stage is hitting 5 or 6 jackpots. Then you can lock balls in the gobstopper hole. Once you have only 1 ball left and at least one ball locked in the gobstopper hole, hit the right loop from the upper left flipper to put a ball in the wonkavator for a super jackpot. This starts level 2 and gives you all of your balls back. Hit more jackpots and lock balls again to finish level 2. I don’t know what level 3 looks like as I haven’t made it there yet. I’m guessing it’s the same. Progress is saved for the game. I’ve had it where I just had to hit the gobstopper target to open the hole when I restarted the multiball.
You can see all of your progress on all of these in the instant info page.
For multipliers, they work in all modes and multiballs except for the wizard modes. You can’t start Oompa Loompa Odyssey if you have any modes running. You can start Wonka’s Office, but I don’t know what happens to the running modes. I think they get canceled.
Hope that helps.

Great explanation @Weedlum, thanks!

#2319 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

What the hell else do you want us to put in this game??
WYSIWYG

Well stated. My wife and I are putting hours into this thing, daily. Trying like hell to get better!
It will keep us busy for ages. We have ~2400 plays and we’re slowly discovering more and more nuance.

The game is very well done and we salute the entire team for their hard work!

Looking forward to my CE.

#2328 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

I've looked at some of your stream (hope you Dont mind). Great watch.
You seem more glad playing wonka then jp, or is it just How it looks to me?

Thanks for watching! I’m enjoying them both. Lately my wife has been hitting Wonka really hard, which has increased the competition and enthusiasm between us. JP is terrific as well! I think I’ve only streamed that one twice so far, but I’ve got around 500 plays against it. I’ve dialed in the shots and they feel AMAZING. I have a better rules understanding also.

I am very fortunate to enjoy the two hottest games in pinball right now.

#2329 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Holly Wow! You and the misses really go all in (2400!!!) playing thats simply Awesome! Way fun when your not the only one in the house that enjoys the hobby. Luckily my wife shares my same obsession also. Great to see congrats.

I feel very fortunate! And she is a damn good player too, she currently holds our Wonka GC of 4.3M defeating my 2.6.

We are novice players but having fun trying and practicing daily like athletes.

#2345 4 years ago
Quoted from Capn12:

So, to beat an already trodden horse...can we just get confirmation that synced A/V wasn't allowed in the game? Only 3 words in the movie are synced with audio and video "Here it comes!"

39r361.jpg39r361.jpg
#2347 4 years ago

We decided to watch the movie tonight, and we’ve been playing for hours since. Watching the movie really gave an even greater appreciation for the way the assets were used. My only complaint is my lack of skill, as we STILL haven’t gotten more than one golden ticket. We’re working on it and practicing like crazy, but I need a pinball coach.

I feel bad for the people out on this game over clearcoatgate or audioclipgate.
You are missing a lot of fun.

#2363 4 years ago

How is it you can’t get a 2nd golden ticket yet you have completed multiple modes in POTC, which, by most accounts, is a tougher game?!?

Wonka is far, far more difficult and hostile than POTC in my view.

Golden tickets, other than the gumball machine “gimme” ticket, are a huge climb.

You get one for getting the Wonkavator super jackpot...3 times in a row. I’ve gotten the first super a couple of times so far.
For another you have to get Gobstopper super jackpots...5 times. When you do this, it puts gobstoppers on the colored plates in front of the gobstopper machine - one for each character just like the movie. So far Susan has collected one Gobstopper. None for me.
You get one for completing all 12 modes on the playfield, and another for kid multiball jackpots.

We are working on it and practicing like crazy, but these are going to keep us busy for a good long time.

#2418 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Damn I can now afford the Wonka Limited Edition[quoted image]

Will not buy, look at that letter H

#2517 4 years ago

Did anyone see l33tsandman blow up Wonka last night?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/482851060

#2580 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yep.. its supposed to b a fun hobby/pastime and so many people just bitch about everything and are unhappy with the pins. I say its time for them to find a new hobby.... im absolutely loving my wonka le even with some pooling around the posts. ... and i bought it seeing this and glad i did as its the most fun I've had since getting my dile nib. We all sld be grateful for these new amazing pins as it cld of went the other way after b/w closed its doors.

It really is a great game. Don't believe the haters.

#2585 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

One my favorites if not my favorite... slowly pulling in front of dile

It's interesting - it has a high level of initial frustration. Then players start to overcome that and the game starts to open up...and then it has its hooks in you.

#2586 4 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

No, you don't "got it already". The amount of gushing and flat out ignoring of major issues in this thread means JJP won't make any changes to the way they make their games. Until we are all on the same page, we can expect this same thing to happen with game #6, #7, #8, etc.

This is a club thread. Gushing about the game is what it's for. There are plenty of other complaint threads but this one is for owners enjoying their games, right?

#2595 4 years ago

Not sure that’s accurate...are JJP WW owners supposed to post issues with their pin on another thread?

I'm not a moderator, but IMO posting issues/fixes is fine. Shitting on the game because it's not what you want, or because you think people should boycott NIB is for other threads.

#2623 4 years ago

and p.s. to JJP: you people are evil for the way you designed the factory ramp shot - it's damn near impossible for me to hit it with the left flipper reliably. That shot is SO tough!!

I get myself in a great ramp/ramp flow over and over...then make a small mistake, hit the "death target" next to it, and it's over.

Sometimes if I feel like I am not in sync with the factory ramp, I will just do left ramp loops. I leave the upper left flipper up, bump as it crosses to catch on the right flipper, then make the gobstopper ramp.

#2633 4 years ago

So can we take a moment to say how incredible the Wonka light show is??

I’ve really been appreciating the work in that lately. The whup-whup of Wonkatania, the super-colorful Gobstopper MB modes, etc.

Sometimes I even just watch the attract mode.

#2655 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Left wonkavision shot ends in pops, always.
Spinner loop ends in pops always,
full plunge ends in pops , always.
Left loop makes it occasionally ,( aim better
Is this the way its supposed to be, or are they meant to swing back round to the flippers?

My SE and an LE I played in the field are exactly the same.
I have to assume it is evil genius designed to drain.

One thing we do is shake a bit as it comes out of the pops to mitigate.

#2657 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

I love super spinner mode , but there’s not a chance in hell on my particular game to succesfully pull off 2/3 consecutive rips

ProTip: If you shoot the Kid Multiball shot when it's not lit, Super Spinner is briefly lit. This is a good way to boost Wonka bars early in the game.

#2658 4 years ago

I will also say...the difficulty (and sometimes frustration) is high but for some reason we keep coming back for more.

It is our most heavily played game right now, and the trapping/catching/nudging skills we were forced to adopt to survive have made us better players on all the rest of our pins.

Pure Imagination seems like an unreachable goal, but then we see people in here achieve it so it's gotta be possible! This moves us to keep trying.

Also watch http://twitch.tv/l33tsandman who is a strong player too, might get tips there.

My wife will not let me do anything to make it easier - no outlane posts, no difficulty/goal adjustments in software.

#2661 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Im happy with my new GC, but it feels so weird next to such terrible pro and after games . Like I luck it or something. I would just like to achieve more constant scores .

I feel exactly the same. Watching other players like SkipNatty and l33tsandman who -do- put up consistent scores give me hope that my skills can one day grow to that point.

I just had a 1.89M game and feel good about that, as I haven’t been able to beat 1.7 and get on my HS board for at least a month!

#2672 4 years ago

Good luck with that, they have the outlane post installed...

Sandman does but Skip does not.

#2675 4 years ago

Hi folks,

Has anyone got a list together of the rubber sizes for Wonka? I've got enough love on this machine that I'm starting to break them - I can tell you the one above the right slings is a 1.5 inch ID.

I want to order 2 full sets to have on hand, but I don't want to remove all of them to measure.

Maybe LTG knows?

#2677 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

I used to order a big plastic box of allsorts suzo happ every once in a while , its got pretty much every size in there and enough to do a few games and spare.
That should keep you going for now

Yeah I see Titan has a universal kit so I'm going for that for now I guess.

#2690 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Wonka in a nutshel in 3 takes .
warm up game , GC game and a complete house one courtesy of the pop exit.. [quoted image]

That's the evil genius. It gives you just enough success and hope to keep you playing, then punches you in the face repeatedly.

It drives me crazy but I love it and can't stop playing it.

#2696 4 years ago
Quoted from Gumby510:

Just put down a deposit for the CE, kinda nervous as I have not had a chance to flip this one yet. I’m sure I won’t be disappointed.

I was nervous too, and got an SE to test the waters while waiting on the CE. Don't worry, it's awesome.

#2699 4 years ago

For me it took a couple hours of play to get its hooks in me. Your mileage may vary if you’re more skilled than me, which is likely.

At first I was very frustrated and nursing buyer’s remorse, but as I got deeper into the game and started seeing magic, I got hooked and have remained so for 3 months

#2712 4 years ago
Quoted from SaintJB:

Finally achieved a third Golden Ticket! Gumball, Gobstopper and Factory.....progress!

I've still never gotten a second one. Please watch my videos (twitch.tv/nspinball) and give me tips!

#2716 4 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

After two fun days of playing my LE, it will now not boot up. Nothing is displayed on the LCDs, and no computer fans spin. All I hear is a faint hum when i power on, so i know it's getting power. I read on here this could happen if you turn on and quickly turn back off, which is the last thing i did before this happened.
From what i read, I think i have to place a jumper on the reset pins on the motherboard. I couldnt figure out how to get to the motherboard after removing the translite. How does the LCD come off?

AFAIK that jumper business was on early WOZ machines. I've not heard this on modern JJPs. I would get some guidance from JJP support on this.

As for the LCD - it's held on by magnets, you can just pull it straight off believe it or not!

#2717 4 years ago
Quoted from Weedlum:

I saw your stream a bit last night. You were talking about not going for the super skill shot. I was in the same boat until I watched Skip playing on the Buffalo stream. He was always going for it and making it some of the time. I started trying that and saw an instant improvement. That alone helped me get to the factory golden ticket much faster. I've also taken to manually plunging before the auto-plunger can kick it out. That's a lot harder, but it's super useful, especially at the start of gobstopper multiball. It usually allows me to get an easy double jackpot on the camera ramp to start it off. I also aim for the kid multiball start shot early to try to get the super spinner shot on my first ball. Getting over 50 Wonka Bars on the first ball can do a lot to boost your score.

Great tips Weedlum, much appreciated. I will try them out!

#2719 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did Steve help you ?
If so this picture will help.
LTG : )[quoted image]

So is that jumper to boot still a thing on modern JJP machines?

#2728 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Looks like JJP listened and Golden Tickets 3,4 and 5 difficulty will be adjustable? If so, that's GREAT news for ppl who aren't pinball wizards

I was digging around in the settings a few days ago and there were always some settings to make those modes easier. However my better half forbids any changes that make the game easier as "that is cheating!"

#2747 4 years ago
Quoted from crobby:

Ok, maybe it's not the update. It might just be me finally noticing that my right sling overdoes it a bit...even when I just do the coil test. For the left sling, a single tap of the start button gives 1-3 thwacks of the sling, but for the right sling, a single tap seems to yield 2-6ish thwacks. Is there an adjustment of some sort that I can make to normalize things a bit?

Pretty common issue (search "shotgunning" slingshots.) What you want is a leaf switch adjustment tool which is basically a piece of metal with a slot cut into it. You slide it over the leaf blade and bend it slightly so there's a little bit bigger gap.

Do not try and do this with needlenose or something, it twists the leaf.

I've found this to a be a common issue as the machines wear in a bit. The elasticity of the rubber changes and then maybe you're too sensitive (or not sensitive enough.)

#2749 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Just updated the code to 1.25 and played a few games. I believe I noticed a few new scenes with speech, including at the factory gates and entering the factory. I do hate the ball going sdtm from the pops, very cheap drain. I’ll have to see if I can fix that, maybe a thicker rubber on the post above the gob stopper to deflect it.

We shake the machine as it exits the pops to defend against it. It is by far the one design choice I take issue with on this game, very aggressive and hostile.

I hate when I forget to do the shimmy and it sails perfectly SDTM as it cleanly exits the orbit.

#2751 4 years ago

My flippers were feeling a slight bit weaker (we now have over 4000 plays) so I changed out the coil sleeves. WOW what an improvement!

What is the normally recommended service interval to change these things out?

#2755 4 years ago
Quoted from RhinoPins:

What size sleeves are they? Might have to do this as well as I have noticed my flippers getting weak ~2000 plays.

In a pinch you can remove them, clean them with alcohol and reinstall. But they are really best replaced outright.

Flipper sleeves: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7066-5

There are different sizes for other coils and VUKs too.

I looked up the sizes in the POTC manual and bought 25 of each so I have plenty on hand.

#2756 4 years ago
Quoted from crobby:

Tweaking my sling rubbers seems to have cured my issue...for now at least. Thanks. I'll still invest in the leaf switch adjustment tool for future tweaks (this is my first pin, so I'm still building my arsenal of tools).

I highly recommend Butch Peel's "Tools of the Trade" video:

I also keep several parts on hand: full sets of rubbers, shooter tips, flipper return springs and (now) coil sleeves.

#2758 4 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

The update took all of 20 seconds to install so wondering if I did something wrong. How do I find out which version is installed?

I believe you can see it in the service menus. It's also listed on bootup.

#2764 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Its maybe not as intended but its a fair trade off in my opinion to the cheap drains.
Easy fix for anyone willing to do some work[quoted image][quoted image]

I couldn't possibly get the wife to agree to that one, but I applaud your fearless ingenuity

#2775 4 years ago

I think 1.25 has a bug with the magnet.

When I shoot the Kid shot empty, it doesn't grab with the magnet, instead dropping it immediately back (and even launching it at times with the tap-tap animation!)

When the diverter puts the ball on the magnet, it sticks just fine.

This appears to be new to 1.25, anyone else?

#2787 4 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Im hearing more call outs in 1.25 am I imagining that?

Nope definitely some new ones!

MikeTV "Lights camera action!"
Wonka @ endgame "Entire day wasted!" lol

#2791 4 years ago
Quoted from LordHelmet:

I have also noticed a few new callouts as well as the magnet issue. Loving this game!

I reported the magnet issue to JJPSoftware on Twitter - which AFAIK is the official pipeline for reporting these things. They can't reproduce it.

It's not just me though, based on this thread.

#2797 4 years ago

Can someone please tell me what the number on the pink pipe means on the LCD?

The number changes during gameplay but I haven’t figured out what triggers it.

#2800 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackzarak:

Is anyone having issues with this latest update? I just did The update and I’m not getting registered when the ball goes in the saucer about 1 of 10 times it will go into ball search and for some reason it would registered afterwards. I’m assuming it’s a bug.

Does it bleep bloop the whole time it’s in the saucer? If so try cleaning that opto - I just rubbed it with my finger and the problem stopped.

#2807 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Curious on opinions of getting the Le vs standard? I'm usually an Le guy on jjp games but not sure on this one. I played a standard on location, but wonder if the wonkavator really adds to anything. Any thoughts? Thanks.

The Wonkavator when viewed by itself is a fairly minor change. It traps the ball and forces you to watch the video while the SE lets you keep shooting jackpots, giving you an advantage.

I’d tally up all the LE differences and see if they amount to 2k in value for you:

- Better art package
- Sparkle blue armor
- Sparkle blue wireforms
- Wonkavator
- Invisiglass
- Shaker

If you’re on the fence about the game, get an SE and throw in your own shaker. If you already know you love the game, I say get the LE.

I have an SE and I’m waiting to upgrade to CE.

#2818 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I have a SE when is the shaker used and is it used enough to warrant price

Primarily in multiballs, but there are also little shaker hits when you thunk the Gobstopper, etc. It's easily worth it.

#2826 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

How cool is the Wonka office mode... super neat.

Still can’t get to it. I need a pinball coach.

#2841 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Played this on location (standard) other day and loved it. Question, when and how are the magnets implemented under clusters? I never noticed any activity.

When the lights around the clusters are blinking, they are active. Most common during multiballs.

And they are VERY active, yanking the ball in physics-defying ways!

#2848 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Ce is beautiful....bet it looks even more amazing in person with the radcals and extra lighting .

Does anyone know if the undercabinet lighting changes colors? For example, green during Slugworth, etc...that would be awesome.

#2917 4 years ago
Quoted from Ambro:

I'm in for a CE regardless but one thing I will do when I get it is take off the glass, pull out my screwdriver and remove that awful signature plate which imo ruins the apron look from all the pictures I've seen. Pretty underwhelming and yes I will spend the extra money but I was hoping for little things like including some more mods to dress the machine up - for example a deal with the mod couple to include some of their mods would have made me a lot happier with my decision.
The other cool thing that should be included is that Jack issue's us CE'ers with tickets to the factory and then he'd pick a lucky few to take home another machine......!!

I am sure those plates come off easily with 2 screws on the end of the playfield, just like the rule card holders on the SE.

#2956 4 years ago
Quoted from broada:

Did you get an answer on this? I had not noticed this prior to your post and now I'm curious! Here is what I have observed so far:
- the pink pipe starts the game blank (no number displayed)
- the number increases 500 for every shot to the right orbit (the shot under the Wonkavision just left of the ! / saucer shot). First shot = 500, second time = 1000 etc, up to a max of 5,000
- it carries over throughout the game
Still not sure what the number means though![quoted image]

I did! Shooting that orbit shot (left lane under wonkavision) does increase it. It affects the value of Oompa Loompa Odyssey!

#2988 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

To those of you (either SE owners who requested them after the fact, or LE owners that had them installed from the start) with the airball-protectors on the Factory ramp, how would you rate this solution? Is it preventing airballs from that ramp? Is the aesthetic of having it there acceptable, or does it block the view of something else? If you installed yours, was it relatively easy to do?
I have not looked closely at the pics and videos but I am assuming they stuck with this same solution for the CE's.

I am very happy with the airball protector, it ended the balls flinging out of the right ramp for us. It was easy to install, though I had to source my own hardware for doing so.

#2990 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Thanks Derek. Anything exotic hardware-wise I need to look for? I seem to remember you posting something about this awhile back but did not make note of the solution.

There's a hex post for the left side and a 1/2 inch spacer for the right side. Honestly if you're requesting the protector from JJP just remind them to include the hardware.

It's easy to install.

#2995 4 years ago

It does cut down on airballs for sure. One unintended consequence of installing the deflector, however, is that in the instance of a ball climbing the ramp fast enough that it would have flown off the ramp before, now it hits the deflector and comes back down the ramp, right back at you. And guess where it goes then?
-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

Do you have the 1/2 inch spacer on the right side? I had the same issue when I ran it without one, flush against the ramp. It stopped when I added it.

#3000 4 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

Is there a fix for the ball not rolling from the "most secret machine"-lock tot the kicker in the shooterlane?

Try increasing the gobstopper lock coil. If that doesn't fix it, you may need to trim a coil sleeve in there. But try the power first.

#3023 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Those of you that own both Wonka and potc, which one do you like better? I want both, can barely afford one and debating between a huo potc or nib Wonka LE. Thoughts?

Very different games.

POTC is longer ball times, more forgiving, more multiballs and wizards.
Wonka is more aggressive and will require more active defense to keep the ball alive.

Tough call for me - I own both - but if I had to choose one it would probably be POTC.

#3038 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

POTC and DI are my two tops in my collection. I've played my friends Wonka and started to like it also. I'm thinking I need to change my lineup a bit and eventually make a row of every JJP.

I keep coming back to JJP games too. They have a stickiness to them for sure.

#3105 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I have a Wonka SE,is it worth a $150 to install a PL shaker motor?
Does it make much difference?I'm trying to decide between this or
a $150 Wonkavator

I added a PL shaker to my Wonka SE - I think it's great and wouldn't want to have Wonka without it. Easy thumbs up here.

#3125 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Ordering from Ball Baron soon,I was thinking I would use Ninja in my Wonka and carbon balls in Dialed In What say you guys?

If Ninjas are chromed, no on Wonka. Chromed balls are no good with magnets.

#3139 4 years ago

If you use a Mac to update, like I do, you will find that the UnetBootin app no longer works on MacOSX Catalina. I downloaded the latest version and it too is broken.

There is a workaround! Assuming the app is in your Applications folder, open Terminal and paste in the following:

sudo /Applications/unetbootin.app/Contents/MacOS/unetbootin

#3142 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Anyone got their CE yet?

What I am hearing is "late November/early December, possibly sooner."

#3144 4 years ago
Quoted from crobby:

For what it's worth, I was also experiencing a super slow boot (but I didn't realize it until it was mentioned here). I did the 1.31 update today, which was the first full update I've done on my machine and my boot time is greatly improved.

Same here, we started to notice the boot time lengthening and after the upgrade it's fast. Will watch to see if it degrades over time.

I was happy to see that 1.31 also addressed a minor cosmetic bug I reported (kids out of order on the wonkavision during gobstopper MB.) It's great to see reported issues turned around so quickly!

#3151 4 years ago
Quoted from squirrlyjr:

Interesting! I wasn't planning on upgrading since I didn't see much value in the notes. If start-up time is improved that would be a good reason to upgrade. I wonder why they would leave that out of the notes

My suspicion is that doing the full install is what sped the boot, not the firmware itself.

I noticed at least one bugfix in the firmware, and the wife swears a few of the callouts seem new also. Worth upgrading IMO.

#3154 4 years ago

I'm selling mine in Dallas also. This is to upgrade to CE.

#3171 4 years ago
Quoted from RichterMC:

I encounter these ball hang-ups on a LE machine right out of the box.
Did not read all 64 pages so maybe I missed something.
Are these common places for ball traps ?
I can´t shake the ball off from there and need to remove the glass.
Seems there´s a clear plastic "missing" between left ramp and rail.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yes, you are missing a plastic there. I don't have a part number because, no manual, but it's this:

9C68207C-DDB8-4A97-97C7-28D2787E00AE.jpeg9C68207C-DDB8-4A97-97C7-28D2787E00AE.jpeg
#3175 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

That specific clip isn't new: It is the video that plays when you light and achieve the Special. It IS relatively rare though. I have noticed a lot of new/ rearranged callouts with this update.

Yeah I've noticed a lot of "encouragement" callouts in this version. "Perfect execution" etc.

You's trolling, fake GrandpaJoe, I know I suck!

#3182 4 years ago
Quoted from RichterMC:

Thanks for your feedback.
Are you talking about the clear plastic which I outlined yellow in the picture ?
This one is in place. The Ball got stucked on top of it.[quoted image]

Yep that is the one. So it got stuck on top of that?

#3197 4 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Having trouble with the full install of the latest update on my Mac. Is there an alternate method that doesn't involve Unebootin because it doesn't seem to want to launch on my MacBook.

You can run it from terminal using Sudo as a workaround. See my post on this earlier in the thread.

#3199 4 years ago
Quoted from Gumby510:

Since I don’t have my wonka yet, I want to get those cliffys so I’m ready. How many do I need to buy? Cliffy is asking me how many and I’m not sure.
Thanks

Just 2. Install open side down to prevent stuck balls.

#3232 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Just checking out goodie bags on my SE and was wondering where this magnetic Slugworth goes?
I assuming the other pieces are key plastics[quoted image]

Proudly on your fridge, yo!

#3263 4 years ago

Just a reminder that my SE is still for sale!

1 week later
#3356 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Why the hell did they not use the sound clip You lose,Good day sir
when you tilt?

It says "you get NOTHING!" sometimes if you opt for the super skill shot and whiff it.

But yeah, it really would fit the tilt.

1 week later
#3394 4 years ago
Quoted from crobby:

Mechanical question: My auto plunge has been getting a bit weak lately. Sometimes it will be weak enough to drop it right in the saucer. Nice for the score sometimes, but not what I'm looking for. I've cleaned the coil sleeve, but that wasn't particularly dirty or worn. JJP support said that I should try adjusting the mech a bit, but I'm not seeing any way to adjust it. I asked more on my ticket with them, but they just stopped answering.
When I look at the metal "fork" that actually hits the ball, the left side (from the players viewpoint) is bent a noticeable amount. I asked them about it, but never heard back again. Hopefully, one of you can shed some light on how I may be able to adjust this so my auto plunge is consistent again.
I also notice a fair bit of lateral play in the mech. Not sure how normal that is since I have nothing else to compare with.
Thanks

Does the autoplunger fork jump when you plunge empty?

#3396 4 years ago
Quoted from crobby:

Good question. I'll take a closer look at that over lunch today. Thanks.

If it does, check out the POTC tech thread. A few fixes in there might apply (propping the playfield hooks, moving the plunger assembly down, washers to correct the side-side movement of the fork)

#3401 4 years ago
Quoted from smsteve:

On an unrelated note, I just completed payment for CE #42.

YOU! YOU took the number I wanted!!

I'm in for #19, chosen as a fallback for the year of manufacture.

#3406 4 years ago
Quoted from crobby:

So, it seems like the motion of the plunger into the coil sleeve isn't silky smooth. When I manually move the forks, the plunger into the coil sleeve (which I just cleaned) is almost sticky compared to all my other coils. And when I release it, the spring back is also a bit sluggish. Does anyone have a picture of their auto plunger mech with the coil so I can see the alignment. I feel like maybe things just aren't lined up properly and I'm generating a bit of friction.... That night explain why the first few auto plunges after a rest are better than the 4th or 5th in a string.
That being said, I don't see a lot of places where this can be adjusted.
Thanks again for your thought cycles.

If the plunger feels sticky, and you can't smoothly move the forks, that is your problem.

1. Make sure the metal bracket holding the autoplunger isn't bent weird - that can cause the plunger to go in at an angle and reduce power.
2. EDIT: I see you already inspected/cleaned the sleeve so it's not that.

#3409 4 years ago
Quoted from crobby:

I think I may have it sorted out. There was a slight angle to the whole mech. A very slight slight bend to the mechanism seems to have it lined up better and has the plunger moving freely in the coil sleeve. I've just played a couple test games and so far the auto plunge is working well.
Thanks for your thoughts on this. Hope your CE gets there soon! Can't wait to see it on the stream!

Woot, glad to hear it! I had that angle issue on one of my POTC LE machines.

Wonka CE shipped today and lands next Wednesday, can't wait!

#3414 4 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

has anyone put extra ledstips in the backbox?
I would like to illuminate around the screen with white led strips (no RGB)
how easy is this?

Many times and someone sells kits for it on Pinside. There are pictures in the ads too so you can evaluate the look.

#3415 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Many times and someone sells kits for it on Pinside. There are pictures in the ads too so you can evaluate the look.

Found it, it's a Lermod, available on MezelMods:

https://mezelmods.com/products/willy-wonka-pinball-translight-illumination-kit

#3418 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Thx, it’s actually ours, mezel is one of our resellers. With our rgb, you can choose colors, including white, or have it rotate through all the colors, which is my preference.
https://lermods.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fwilly-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory-pinball-full-rgbtranslight-kit

Oops, sorry about that! Updated.

#3422 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I finally broke the 5 million mark!
I “ got a super jackpot on Oompa Loompa multiball,I always get the first extra ball usually on ball three by the way.What I want to know is where are all the extra balls on this game?I’ve gotten the special extra ball once or twice randomly
I need to know how to get more extras to get better!

The ones I know about:

1. Hitting all the (dangerous) standups
2. Computer award
3. Captive ball mystery award

#3424 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I didn’t know about the stand ups extra ball how does that qualify?
Did you get your CE yet?I have to admit I’m actually jealous that artwork is beautiful on the CE

Wednesday

#3432 4 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

Game wouldn't turn on today. Slight humming noise. The pin wasn't moved or played since yesterday when it was fully operational. Picture of the boards in the head below. Any suggestions for troubleshooting?[quoted image]

Had the same thing happen to me on POTC yesterday. Open the metal box, and locate the PWR pins. Jumper those and see if it comes to life. It it doesn't, power off and jumper the CLR CMOS pins, then power on and jumper the PWR pins.

#3435 4 years ago

Right. Bit of wire or screwdriver.

If you need to do CLR CMOS, that should be done with power -off- as I understand it.

#3437 4 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

That did the trick. Thanks!

Hooray! Glad to hear it. This was a heart-stopping experience for me yesterday on POTC

#3446 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Anyone know what’s causing this?

There was speculation that kids turning the machines on/off rapidly during the holiday visits could be a factor.
I'm less sure of this after it happened to me yesterday, as the machine was never toggled in this way.

I saw some weirdness in the days leading up to the event. One game the PC shut down entirely, killing the game. On bootup, I'd briefly get trash on the screen (the JJP logo one prior to the text mode boot sequence.)

I'm wondering if some motherboard defect is causing CMOS corruption over time.

#3447 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

How you guys liking Wonka so far compared to DI or potc? I'm considering another pin, and I'm not sure if Wonka is it. I like games with big moments, and a story/adventure progression. Opinions?

When I got into Wonka I was concerned that I wouldn't like it as much as POTC, and would be disappointed in the purchase.

For us anyway, it's a very different game from POTC - we ended up liking it as much but for very different reasons.
It has complemented POTC without displacing it.

#3464 4 years ago

I lifted and set up my Wonka CE today as well as one for @gasoline. Good times!

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B11GPCdxkGHMbJD

#3476 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

What's the general honest opinion on this game so far? Keep debating between Wonka and star wars comic. Opinions?

Wonka by a mile, easy. And I do own both. (My Star Wars is the original though.)

#3481 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I know Star Wars comic version looks better,but gameplay is the same?

Yes, same gameplay. The main issues I have with the code:

1. The multiplier timeout which requires you to stop what you’re doing and hurryup to feed it. Constantly.
2. Overuse of the video mode which itself a tedious game.

Star Wars was my first pin and I have a soft spot for it, but we really don’t play it these days.

#3491 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I think if more people get over the sound and speech/video sync and actually play the game they will be amazed how good it really is.

I couldn't agree more.

KanedaWonkaLarge.jpgKanedaWonkaLarge.jpg
2 weeks later
#3586 4 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

So I'm having a weird problem. I was playing Willy Wonka and my three-year-old decided to turn it off. Then I went to go turn it on again and suddenly it's not turning on now. I've wiggled the power cord, checked fuses behind the back glass, and there appear to be LEDs on the PCB turning on behind the back glass. When I press the power switch I can hear the faint hum, but the playfield does not turn on nor does the LCD. Wondering what could have gone wrong and if you guys have any suggestions.

Common problem. You have to jump two pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver to get it to come back.
PinMonk sells a nice switch kit to make this easier in the future:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/03111-power-cmos-kicktap

See the POTC thread for details on the pins to jump.

#3588 4 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

That's why I love pinside, and you. thank you so much for the very quick response to get me back in the game

No problem! It happened to me a couple months ago and it was heart-stopping when it did.

#3590 4 years ago

Can you take a picture of the upper right on the motherboard?

#3592 4 years ago
IMG_1901 (resized).jpegIMG_1901 (resized).jpeg
#3594 4 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Thanks zaphX! Love the support here!! (And I'm glad I didn't free anything)

So it's alive again?

#3600 4 years ago
Quoted from Gumby510:

I keep getting my tilt bob switch stuck to open. If I move it a bit it will reset. Anything I can do or adjust to keep this from happening? Thanks

Nudge more!

1 week later
#3670 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Sigh, if it's not one thing it's another.
Anyone having issues with inconsistency in the Saucer (TV) shot registering? I started seeing some occasional delays in the shot registering after a previous patch but lately it has gotten worse. It seems like the opto just is not reading that the ball is there a lot of the time. I watched my wife make this shot 3 times in one game tonight and each time it did not register. The ball got kicked out during the ball check but no credit for the Extra Ball/ Computer Award that was lit. I also had some delays during a previous game where it would just sit there. Sometimes hitting the flippers would "burp" it, but not always. This for 1.32 SE. I am wondering if it is a bad opto, or a possible software bug?
I am going to reach out to JJP, but I wanted to see if anyone else was having a similar issue, especially since they're likely closed for the holiday. Happy New Year everyone!

Try wiping the saucer opto with a microfiber. I think it gets dirty over time.

#3710 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So I've made some recent moves, including getting a Wonka LE for the kids and I have to say surprisingly I'm really enjoying it. The new code vs. what I played when it was initially released does a much better job of including more variety in music, call outs and less annoying effects

Go back and watch the launch streams. I think you’ll find it hasn’t changed that dramatically.

I suspect what has changed is your mindset towards the game - I’m really glad you’ve given it a chance and now see what it has to offer.

#3714 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yeah it's definitely changed but I'll leave it at that. Glad to see the updated code polish has paid off at least for me.

I've played it by myself with full audio on the first offered code. Wasn't for me for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Polished off code has really helped the weaker spots as I always agreed the layout and feel is stellar. Thought I would update my impressions.

Can you point to something specific that you found so horrible in the launch that has changed in the current release?

#3715 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Agreed... he was just such a hater on this pin before lol and now look. So many posts on how bad it was . I think its funny when someone actually gives a pin a fighting chance and realizes its actually very well done . Happens all the time unfortunately....

And not just with this game, either. Hot takes and snap judgements rule the day.

Sometimes I think people are specifically looking for reasons NOT to like pins.

#3721 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I think someone already provided you with the obvious answer (see the numerous patch notes for full detail on all that's changed) however I'm not here to debate this but let's just say this industry is saturated with ass kissers. I'm not one of them and called it like I saw it based on numerous experiences with the game and had it on order ready to buy as I was super excited.
Similar to many games like TWD where code updates really helped out, I'm now actually enjoying the game much more and circling back with that feedback. Simple as that. I still question some of the poor choices (audio and video sync, announcer, etc) but I play it fair and will return with an updated view if it's changed, and it has.
That's about it.

What you call ass kisser I call respect for the creators and the work that went into making a thing. Making is hard.

I do wish you hadn't eviscerated it at launch, but honestly I am just glad you like it and it's making you and your family happy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,600 (OBO)
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
892 posts in this topic match your search for posts by zaphx. You are on page 1 of 4.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside/page/1?tu=zaphx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.