New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 240130)

Wonka Club - Golden Tickets Inside

By f3honda4me

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 6,340 posts
  • 406 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 minutes ago by JellyNeck
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“What edition are you ordering or planning to buy?”

• Standard 112 votes
    27%
  • Limited Edition 218 votes
    53%
  • Collectors Edition 80 votes
    20%

(410 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 941 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

wonka_topper (resized).png
D8B1CC89-EBD6-4DBA-95A7-CF11D784C7AB (resized).jpeg
34714B08-03A0-4234-B6E9-1D0318095000 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1673 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2020-10-20 115413 (resized).png
IMG_3425 (resized).jpg
7D1EE606-5D8F-4ECE-9703-E2271CDE24C5 (resized).jpeg
18253F68-0C0E-4B6E-8144-D42C59E964C1 (resized).jpeg
E1C84F10-517C-4EE2-807D-20C2B4E8041F (resized).jpeg
WW_Rules_Jan20.pdf (PDF preview)
WW (resized).jpg
16029593853631444668132059831512.jpg
16029593749418612923346463799714.jpg
16029593654913191519638161050311.jpg
16029593488743943420180440047711.jpg
20201017_113438 (Medium) (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6340 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 127.
#851 1 year ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

So is the hole drilled wrong? Is there a post position that could split the difference that they didn’t find in time for release?

I think it’s common for outlines to have more than one position.

It is probable the intent for the lower hole is to run the post without the rubber.

We will see when the manual comes out I guess!

#852 1 year ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Lloyd? Any thoughts?

Sorry. I don't have the game yet. No way to check or try things.

LTG : )

#853 1 year ago

My Wonka arrived today, so I am now officially a member of the club! I have a lot of tweaking to do to it and I'm pretty sure my initial leveling job was sloppy, but the thing plays and feels like a dream. Almost killed myself and two others getting it up the stairs in this heat.

I'll be sure to write back in a little bit to ask about something that I've broken. At the moment I'm like a kid in a candy store. Or factory. Yes, factory.

#854 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I've had some minor issues with balls in the gobstopper subway. The symptom is a lot of clicks, followed by the sound of a coin flattening on the desk and finally the VUK pop. In my case it always eventually worked before ball search kicked in.
The first thing I did was bump the VUK from 18 to 20, which did not fix the issue.
I saw this helpful writeup from lermods so I got an exacto knife and file and performed the surgery to remove the coil sleeve lip and make it flush in the mech. Unfortunately the problem persisted, to my surprise!
At this point I backed the VUK back down to the default of 18 and tried the other setting, the Gobstopper Lock Coil. I changed that one to 20 and the problem is fixed.
Every machine is different; I bring all this up just to suggest people bump the lock coil first before disassembling as it's way easier and might be all that you need.

I had this issue and bumped the Gobstopper Lock Coil to 20. Didn't fix it. Bumped VUK to 20 and that seemed to work. I guess I'll dial GLC back to 18 and see if that works. You're right, every one is different.

#855 1 year ago

OK FIRST ISSUE! That didn't take long.

We were playing and suddenly heard a "THUNK" sound as a ball drained. The ball had fallen into the cabinet! It appears that the back end of my trough is completely open. Is a part missing, or is this normal? I also noted that one of the trough screws wasn't all the way flush so I tightened it a little. For now I have a business card blocking the hole but that can't be normal.

#856 1 year ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

OK FIRST ISSUE! That didn't take long.
We were playing and suddenly heard a "THUNK" sound as a ball drained. The ball had fallen into the cabinet! It appears that the back end of my trough is completely open. Is a part missing, or is this normal? I also noted that one of the trough screws wasn't all the way flush so I tightened it a little. For now I have a business card blocking the hole but that can't be normal.

Its normal. I have the same issue, posted above somewhere. I took the packing foam around the tilt, and cut it a bit to make it fit, and stuffed it into the hole about half an inch until i can make a better fix out of rubber or have someone 3d print something

#857 1 year ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I had this issue and bumped the Gobstopper Lock Coil to 20. Didn't fix it. Bumped VUK to 20 and that seemed to work. I guess I'll dial GLC back to 18 and see if that works. You're right, every one is different.

This trough issue seems fairly prominent. It seems like the pressure to shoot the vuk needs to be much stronger to get over that lip/corner in the trough.

#858 1 year ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Its normal. I have the same issue, posted above somewhere. I took the packing foam around the tilt, and cut it a bit to make it fit, and stuffed it into the hole about half an inch until i can make a better fix out of rubber or have someone 3d print something

Ok, thanks. Sure seems like an odd design choice. The pin seems to be level, so I don't think that is to blame for balls just falling down into the cabinet like that.

I will also note something else: The wire surround for the tilt bobber was not set up right. The bobber was making constant contact with the side. I gently bent the wire and it seems to be ok now.

#859 1 year ago

No, my level is oerfect and it still happens. It just rattles around and theres nothing to stop it.. im guessing its like that to remove the balls, but it needs a plug or something in there

#860 1 year ago

Jesus, balls falling into the cabinet.

This should not be the case for a $8000 plus machine.

#861 1 year ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

Jesus, balls falling into the cabinet.
This should not be the case for a $8000 plus machine.

Here we go again, the dropping ball soap opera!

#862 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Here we go again, the dropping ball soap opera!

I can guess the next title for kanedas podcast haha

#863 1 year ago

frobozz

I couldn't figure out how to send them privately, but here are some pics of my trough. Balls falling out into the cabinet are a regular occurrance. If you need different angles, let me know. Thank you!

IMG_8771 (resized).JPGIMG_8774 (resized).JPGIMG_8775 (resized).JPGIMG_8776 (resized).JPGIMG_8777 (resized).JPG
#865 1 year ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

but here are some pics of my trough.

Standard ball trough used on Williams games, Remakes, JJP games, etc.

Be sure your playfield is level left to right. Hasn't been an issue on other games.

#866 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Be sure your playfield is level left to right. Hasn't been an issue on other games.

I concur with this!

#867 1 year ago

Hi, just curious how the clear coat is holding up on the wonka standard models. Hopefully not a repeat of what seems to be going on with the POTC fields

#868 1 year ago
Quoted from fusion:

Hi, just curious how the clear coat is holding up on the wonka standard models. Hopefully not a repeat of what seems to be going on with the POTC fields

Those chipping threads are out of control hysteria.

#870 1 year ago

Luckily I haven't had the trough ball issue, but one thing I noticed is the shoot again doesn't light when I've earned an extra ball. Is it supposed to be like that?

#871 1 year ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Luckily I haven't had the trough ball issue, but one thing I noticed is the shoot again doesn't light when I've earned an extra ball. Is it supposed to be like that?

Yes, extra balls (by default) go on the pile and you get an extra turn at the end of the rotation.

#872 1 year ago

Air ball snapped camera at the base and Oompa lost a hand.

Temp hack job fix is completed . Keep playing!
E27BC600-3A1B-4D60-8A78-CCD5E8B270E5 (resized).jpeg2AB6298E-9361-4F74-BE93-000826FCE997 (resized).jpeg

#873 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Temp hack job fix complete.[quoted image][quoted image]

Poor little guy! I’m getting some random air balls off of the factory ramp. Something about the wireform seems odd there. I’ll have to post a pic when I get back home.

#874 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Yikes!

#875 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Send this pic to Jack or Jen to see what they will do.

#876 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thanks ltg, mine is level, used a digital level, its perfect, still get it though

#877 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thanks. I’ve leveled it with a few different options and I’m still having the issue. (For whatever reason it seems to happen to the wife more often than me so she must be doing something special). I’ll keep fiddling with it...

#878 1 year ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Send this pic to Jack or Jen to see what they will do.

Emailed Jack and hope to get some advice soon.

#879 1 year ago

Same thing happened on the revel game if I remember right.
Little concerning.

#880 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Same figure had snapped at leg from an airball on a brand new SE last weekend as well.

Unfortunately JJP will get more oompa requests given build material and where it’s located.
They may need to consider another type of mold.

#882 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

I have 4 games on the same floor, none of them have this issue (and all my feet on wonka are threaded all the way in)

The design is the same, but something is off. My Williams congo has 24mm of gap from metal to playfield, JJP has 27mm of gap from metal to playfield. This means the pitch on the JJP trough is more shallow, hence why the balls sometimes hang up.
congo_trough (resized).jpgjjp_trough (resized).jpg

ltg can you please contact someone in engineering to verify if something changed? or someone with another JJP game in this thread with a pair of calipers can verify this gap?

In the meantime, I 3d printed a chunk to fix this issue (I hope temporarily)
3d_print_trough_fix (resized).jpg

#883 1 year ago

Jesus, nice Mcguyvering.

#884 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I have 4 games on the same floor, none of them have this issue (and all my feet on wonka are threaded all the way in)
The design is the same, but something is off. My Williams congo has 24mm of gap from metal to playfield, JJP has 27mm of gap from metal to playfield. This means the pitch on the JJP trough is more shallow, hence why the balls sometimes hang up.
ltg can you please contact someone in engineering to verify if something changed? or someone with another JJP game in this thread with a pair of calipers can verify this gap?
In the meantime, I 3d printed a chunk to fix this issue (I hope temporarily)
[quoted image]

I would buy one of those off you, better than my foam fix

#885 1 year ago

Good to see all these things being brought up by the early adopters. Thankfully all of these kinks will get ironed out before the LE and CEs hit the factory line.

Patience is a virtue!

#886 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

can you please contact someone in engineering to verify if something changed?

I'll try.

#887 1 year ago

A simple fix would be to drill a hole from side to side and put a bolt through it and secure with a nut. Thus blocking the ball escape. I presume the ball enters far enough from the end to allow that... and it’s just bounce backs that are escaping.

#888 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

A simple fix would be to drill a hole from side to side and put a bolt through it and secure with a nut. Thus blocking the ball escape. I presume the ball enters far enough from the end to allow that... and it’s just bounce backs that are escaping.

I don't have any escape balls, but I believe if the ball drains from the right, if it lands into the trough with enough speed the ball gets slightly wedged between the trough and the playfield. A standard ball is 1.06", or 26.92".. so if the gap is 27mm, that's where the wedge is coming from
wonka_ball_stuck_trough (resized).jpg

#889 1 year ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

frobozz
I couldn't figure out how to send them privately, but here are some pics of my trough. Balls falling out into the cabinet are a regular occurrance. If you need different angles, let me know. Thank you![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

not a hard fix, Adda small post with a rubber.
tho for a machine at this price is pretty poor design.

#890 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Those chipping threads are out of control hysteria.

Seems like most people have damage to some degree. Or are experiencing ripples, or indentations, which will become visible damage at some point.

My playfield, and myself, aren't exactly contented about the damage it's incurred, with no viable solution presented thus far.

I am not happy.

#891 1 year ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

The wire surround for the tilt bobber was not set up right. The bobber was making constant contact with the side.

I found this issue on the one on location but to a lesser degree, as well as the ball trough - which did eventually clear on it own with a little rocking.

Playing the release game for the first time, I did like the game more than the prototype. I found it rather hard - a total dollar eater. Don't know how long I'll keep pouring money into it, but would consider it for home use.

#892 1 year ago

Question for other owners:

As you can see in the photo, part of the wireform coming from the Factory ramp is inside of the plastic. Is everyone else's ramp wireform like this or did they not install mine correctly? I am wondering if this is responsible for some of the airballs I get off of this ramp.

IMG_8779 (resized).jpg
#893 1 year ago

I had an odd stuck ball last night.

9A3165AB-43EC-4638-8FF0-F06984C67EC9 (resized).jpeg
#894 1 year ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I had an odd stuck ball last night.[quoted image]

Looks like your wire is outside, unlike mine, which sort of answered my question. I'm starting to wonder if the QA inspector on my machine was already thinking about the weekend when mine came off the line...

#895 1 year ago

1.08 is out

* Corrected a potential game hangup during Gobstopper Multiball restart.
- Attract mode motion detected speech is now enabled by default.
* Various bug fixes and improvements.

#896 1 year ago

Anyone have an issue with the gobstopper not registering hits because the switch at the top left gets stuck behind the plastic?
Tried adjusting springs but no luck.

A3CC0978-1E77-4DF0-98DE-6D04780BA285 (resized).jpegD8450D19-54A9-4E0F-AB0C-BBCB9C8AE981 (resized).jpeg
#897 1 year ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Anyone have an issue with the gobstopper not registering hits because the switch at the top left gets stuck behind the plastic?
Tried adjusting springs but no luck.[quoted image][quoted image]

Kinda hard to see what is happening from the pics, but is the switch itself sticking closed? (like the plastic nub inside the microswitch?)

I had that happen on a game once and fixed it by slightly loosening the 2 screws on the switch itself. The nub popped out and happily complied from that point forward.

#898 1 year ago
Quoted from fusion:

Have some bubbling starting around some posts.

#899 1 year ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

uestion for other owners:
As you can see in the photo, part of the wireform coming from the Factory ramp is inside of the plastic. Is everyone else's ramp wireform like this or did they not install mine correctly? I am wondering if this is responsible for some of the airballs I get off of this ramp.

It looks like the post right after yours has the wire form on the outside of the ramp...
I need to check when I get home, I have also had some air balls off that ramp. Usually only after a quick combo shot from the left flipper.

#900 1 year ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Question for other owners:
As you can see in the photo, part of the wireform coming from the Factory ramp is inside of the plastic. Is everyone else's ramp wireform like this or did they not install mine correctly? I am wondering if this is responsible for some of the airballs I get off of this ramp.[quoted image]

Mine is outside the ramp, I get an airball every other game. I thought about trying to lift the wireform support near the captive ball a half inch or so but the air balls are too rare to even care really.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 7,500.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 12,500.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
There are 6340 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 127.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside