IMG_5853.jpeg
IMG_7855 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7951 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6910 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7506 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7465 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8062 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,943 posts in this topic. You are on page 174 of 279.
#8651 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

Hah, well my background is in film/TV production so I do have a trained eye for this kind of thing. But yes, the video is 60fps. It's definitely more noticeable in person. I'm sure part of the reason I noticed it was because I went from v1.33 to v1.37 and going from a perfectly smooth set of animations to the flawed ones in 1.37 was much more drastic than if I had done the update and not played it for a week.
If I'm feeling ambitious, maybe I'll make a side-by-side comparison. The "game over" screen is definitely one of the more noticeable animations.

Aaah makes sense, yep your eye is probably even more trained more than you realize (more than the average bear, although Pinsiders seem to be on the upper end of the bear spectrum). But certainly JJP should take a serious look; they might learn something that could prevent bigger issues down the road for Wonka or other machines (imagine say a code release for Guns N Roses that causes video to be jittery, that could go bad really fast). Good luck and keep us posted!

#8652 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I found that during multiballs the magnets suck power away from the flippers.
I believe my Wonka flippers are +2 from default, will check in the AM.

Flippers +2 is definitely better. Tried it out tonight.

#8653 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

Decided to try to make a better quality video, highlighting some of the animations that are noticeably choppy. I used a direct HDMI capture so the clips in the video are taken straight from the game and unaltered. Hopefully, it illustrates what I'm seeing and people are able to notice it a little more. Then again, maybe it's just normal and something only my OCD is noticing.
I'm hoping others can confirm whether or not the dropped frames in these animations are normal or not. I never noticed it when I had v1.33 installed, but then again maybe it was there and I never noticed.
Best to watch fullscreen at 1080p.

Off topic, but

Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Hey guys are you +2 on ALL FOUR flippers or just the lowers?

I had my lowers set higher than my uppers and I’m planning to dial them back to +2. I have my lowers at +4 which I’m finding a bit strong during single ball play since the update.

#8654 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

Consider yourself lucky because once you notice it, you can't unsee it I've seen a couple of other Wonkas with the newer software and they all have the same issue with the animations. As much as I like nearly all of the updates/changes, the dropped frames in the animations drive me nuts. I'm sure not everyone will notice. But I'll live with v1.33 for the time being.
If I'm feeling ambitious, maybe I'll make a side-by-side comparison video showing the difference. Although, I don't want to upset people once they see it the difference and notice it every time.

So I’ve watched your video several times and for the life of me cannot see it. I then watched your video while I looked at my machine at the same time and still cannot really see a real difference. (I’m on 1.33) None of this is during game play correct? Just during attract mode?

#8655 2 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

Off topic, but

I had my lowers set higher than my uppers and I’m planning to dial them back to +2. I have my lowers at +4 which I’m finding a bit strong during single ball play since the update.

I went +2 on the lowers only, the rest on default.

Generally speaking I believe in the lowest amount of power bump you can get away with. Overpowered flippers can cause damage.

#8656 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

Consider yourself lucky because once you notice it, you can't unsee it I've seen a couple of other Wonkas with the newer software and they all have the same issue with the animations. As much as I like nearly all of the updates/changes, the dropped frames in the animations drive me nuts. I'm sure not everyone will notice. But I'll live with v1.33 for the time being.
If I'm feeling ambitious, maybe I'll make a side-by-side comparison video showing the difference. Although, I don't want to upset people once they see it the difference and notice it every time.

I hear you man - I hope I don't see it either haha

Interesting story on how I upgraded to the CE. Someone reached out who enjoyed my recent TPN podcast appearance (where he heard me talking about trading up). Really nice guy - made the trade super simple and now I have the CE. Thanks TPN ; )

#8657 2 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

So I’ve watched your video several times and for the life of me cannot see it. I then watched your video while I looked at my machine at the same time and still cannot really see a real difference. (I’m on 1.33) None of this is during game play correct? Just during attract mode?

It's there during gameplay but not as prevalent. Most notably during the extra ball animation.

I'm going to try to do a side-by-side comparison video. I would say (in general) that it's absolutely most noticeable during the "game over" screen. But otherwise I'd say it's a good thing you don't notice it.

#8658 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Interesting story on how I upgraded to the CE. Someone reached out who enjoyed my recent TPN podcast appearance (where he heard me talking about trading up). Really nice guy - made the trade super simple and now I have the CE. Thanks TPN ; )

So you've now owned all three versions!

I think you'll enjoy the CE, the JDC callouts really are a breath of fresh air, and the other perks (radcals, sparkle etc) are super nice.

#8659 2 years ago

Also: there's a really deep and engaging game to master inside of the thing!
But I think you've gotten that since you keep buying it

#8660 2 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Trying to help a neighbor out that has a Wonka. On the left outlane post, between outlane and left return lane, is there supposed to be a rubber ring? If so what size? Don’t see it in a manual.

On my game that position came without a post installed. Just an empty threaded insert, no plug in it either.
In the goodies is a post with a washer but no rubber was included. There were a couple of spare rubbers included with the goodies but both are too large for that post.

#8661 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

Anyone else getting dropped frames in the animations (i.e. they're choppy/sluggish) after updating to v1.37? I'm noticing it particularly in the match "game over" screen as well as the bubbles during the high score screens in the attract mode. I've done the full install twice now but it acts the same. Game plays fine. It's only the animations that appear affected as the video clips are fine.
I was going to try going back to v1.33 but none of the older versions appear to be available.
Edit: I'll also add that the extra ball oompa loompa animation is noticeably choppy as well. It's almost as if the update affected the gpu performance. Very strange.
Edit: Just spoke to the KingPin games (where I bought my LE) and they're contacting JJP. Hopefully it's nothing major and is simple to resolve. I'll post in here when I have an update.

Thank you for mentioning and following up on this. I noticed this too and just assumed there was nothing we could do about it. It definitely makes a difference. The choppy animation makes me realize how much I take the fit and finish of this game for granted.

#8662 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Thank you for mentioning and following up on this. I noticed this too and just assumed there was nothing we could do about it. It definitely makes a difference. The choppy animation makes me realize how much I take the fit and finish of this game for granted.

Well you're right about the "nothing we can do about it." At least for now.

This is the email I got back from JJP about the choppy animations. This was in response to me complaining about the animations and asking for all older versions of the software, not just the latest one. (They sent me v1.34, but I asked for older versions.)

"Hello James,

It is our policy to only provide the current ISO and Delta version.
We have already provided you with the previous version, we will not be able to provide you with older software versions.

There was a bug that slowed down the frame rate, this bug has been fixed.

As far as the bubbles, game over and the extra ball Oompa Loompa animations.
Software is looking into these and would be included in a future software release if they can be smoothed out.

Regards,
Barry Engler
Service Manager
Jersey Jack Pinball"

Hopefully, they really are looking into the animations. I'm in the process of making a new comparison video so hopefully that will help.

#8663 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

You should thank Zach not TPN for giving you a chance to go on his monoplized Flipinout empire advertising channel...

#8664 2 years ago

Any chance you can share that 1.34 iso? I would like to keep it on file just in case I want to revert back.

This is exactly why I dont like updating right away. Figures the one time I do it quicker than normal..

#8665 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Any chance you can share that 1.34 iso? I would like to keep it on file just in case I want to revert back.
This is exactly why I dont like updating right away. Figures the one time I do it quicker than normal..

I have the 1.35 image file if you want it

#8666 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Is 1.35 having those animation issues as well?

#8667 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

You should thank Zach not TPN for giving you a chance to go on his monoplized Flipinout empire advertising channel...

TPN is Zach so it's all the same haha. I actually already pm'd zach as it's a funny story. We have many offline conversations. Good entertainment for the pinball community.

Can't get enough of those modcouple flipper covers btw. So nice. Bought two more.

I also very much enjoy the new CE callouts. Really helps.

#8668 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I dont know really. I dont have my match settings on and dont notice any of the animation issues on 1.37 since they dont effect gameplay. If somebody can answer your question and you want it let me know and we can figure out a way for you to grab it.

#8669 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

TPN is Zach so it's all the same haha. I actually already pm'd zach as it's a funny story. We have many offline conversations. Good entertainment for the pinball community.

lol! just jabbing at you softy snowflake since i know you can take it.

#8670 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

v1.34 has the same issues with the animations as v1.37, but if you still want it, message me and I'll share it.

Quoted from Phbooms:

Quoted from Rager170:

I haven't tested v1.35 yet as I don't have that ISO. Phbooms, would you mind sharing that ISO file with me so I can test it out?

#8671 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

v1.34 has the same issues with the animations as v1.37, but if you still want it, message me and I'll share it.

I haven't tested v1.35 yet as I don't have that ISO. Phbooms, would you mind sharing that ISO file with me so I can test it out?

Sure how would i do that? Through email? PM me with how to send it or whatever i need to do and ill get it taken care of.

#8672 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

lol! just jabbing at you softy snowflake since i know you can take it.

sure thing Ph - just replying as usual.

I just realized that for JJP - there is no sep code download by model. For example, I download the same code for my CE as others for their standard. Pretty cool how the machine knows....

#8673 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

Please let us know what you find.. Very curious..

#8674 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

sure thing Ph - just replying as usual.
I just realized that for JJP - there is no sep code download by model. For example, I download the same code for my CE as others for their standard. Pretty cool how the machine knows....

All in good fun my man! Personally i enjoyed the NWO podcast and would listen to another one but on different subject then TPN like a top 10 games discussion where you guys can disagree and agree on games you like.

#8675 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Please let us know what you find.. Very curious..

For sure. So far, I've tested...

1.31 - runs perfect (as expected)

1.33 - runs perfect (as expected)

1.34 - choppy/stuttering animations

1.34RC - choppy/stuttering animations

1.37 - choppy/stuttering animations

Something clearly happened in the code during the 1.34 update(s). I'm not sure if any of the bugs/fixes corrected it, but I would guess not since the issue still remains in v1.37.

I'm currently capturing some stuff from v1.33 so I can do a side-by-side comparison video that will (hopefully) make things a little more obvious/noticeable for those folks that aren't seeing it. Stay tuned.

#8676 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

All in good fun my man! Personally i enjoyed the NWO podcast and would listen to another one but on different subject then TPN like a top 10 games discussion where you guys can disagree and agree on games you like.

I got you - no worries. Glad you enjoyed it. Who knows, we might mix it up again on a different topic. Went very long last time - needless to say we bring a number of perspectives to the table!

#8677 2 years ago

I knew there was a reason I was being lazy and not updating my code

#8678 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

Something clearly happened in the code during the 1.34 update(s). I'm not sure if any of the bugs/fixes corrected it, but I would guess not since the issue still remains in v1.37.
I'm currently capturing some stuff from v1.33 so I can do a side-by-side comparison video that will (hopefully) make things a little more obvious/noticeable for those folks that aren't seeing it. Stay tuned.

I’m sure it’s there. Me not noticing is not really surprising as my eye for such detail is lacking most days. Lol. Hopefully they get it corrected sooner rather then later.

#8679 2 years ago

Haven't played Wonka in a couple of weeks, just too busy with customer projects. Needed a break today and figured I would play a game. I have gotten 4 golden tickets in the past, but could never finish kid multi-ball golden ticket. Today in my casual game, I got 4 golden tickets again, and even picked up the kid multi-ball ticket, but could not achieve the gobstopper ticket. One jackpot away from pure imagination. Fun 1/2 hour wasted, lol!!

love this game.

#8680 2 years ago
Quoted from chillme:

Haven't played Wonka in a couple of weeks, just too busy with customer projects. Needed a break today and figured I would play a game. I have gotten 4 golden tickets in the past, but could never finish kid multi-ball golden ticket. Today in my casual game, I got 4 golden tickets again, and even picked up the kid multi-ball ticket, but could not achieve the gobstopper ticket. One jackpot away from pure imagination. Fun 1/2 hour wasted, lol!!
love this game.

So you generally don't have an issue with wonkavator? That seems to me to be the "wizard killer" multiball like ROTK on LOTR. Gobstopper seems like you are able to restart it if you concentrate on it, but wonkavator is more of a "it happens when it happens" type of multiball...and the stages seem harder to me than gobstoppers...

Kid is easiest for me for sure compared to gobstopper and wonkavator since you only need 1 jackpot of each (so just make sure you get charlie and veruka JP if you bring those in...the others are much easier to qualify)

#8681 2 years ago

Quick update:

Just tested out v1.35 and the choppy/laggy animations are there as well.

1.35 - choppy/stuttering animations

So in other words, pretty much everything after v1.33 has animation issues.

I'm just finishing up a detailed video showing a side-by-side comparison. Should be posted in a few minutes.

#8682 2 years ago

Here's a side-by-side comparison video I just made, showing in detail the difference between the normal smooth animations of v1.33 (and before) versus the choppy/stuttering/laggy animations of v1.37. Although this issue is noticeable in many (if not all) of the animations, I decided to just focus on the "game over" animation to make things simple and hopefully easier for people to see.

I highly recommend watching it full screen at full quality (1080p60fps). Also, be sure to watch the end where you can see the lag v1.37 has between screens.

#8683 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

Here's a side-by-side comparison video I just made, showing in detail the difference between the normal smooth animations of v1.33 (and before) versus the choppy/stuttering/laggy animations of v1.37. Although this issue is noticeable in many (if not all) of the animations, I decided to just focus on the "game over" animation to make things simple and hopefully easier for people to see.
I highly recommend watching it full screen at full quality (1080p60fps). Also, be sure to watch the end where you can see the lag v1.37 has between screens.

Yikes, that's pretty obvious. Thanks for making this video. I wonder if the results vary by motherboard? I know the model of the motherboard I have in my machine is different than earlier runs.. unfortunately my dad is borrowing my machine right now so I can't see what mine looks like or what version is running etc...

#8684 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Yikes, that's pretty obvious. Thanks for making this video. I wonder if the results vary by motherboard? I know the model of the motherboard I have in my machine is different than earlier runs.. unfortunately my dad is borrowing my machine right now so I can't see what mine looks like or what version is running etc...

I remember with Dialed In - people were having stuttering but their CPU was older than the newer DIs which had no issues. Could be game by game on this one - CPU related.

#8685 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

I see that for sure. Pretty obvious. Does it impact actual game play at this point?

#8686 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Quoted from delt31:

I remember with Dialed In - people were having stuttering but their CPU was older than the newer DIs which had no issues. Could be game by game on this one - CPU related.

My Wonka LE has an October 16, 2019 date and I have a Gigabyte H310M A 2.0 board I believe. I thought about increasing the RAM (from 4GB to 8GB) and possibly trying a better cpu than the 3.1Ghz G4900 Celeron that's in there. But in the end, I keep coming back to it being a software issue since this issue never existed before v1.34. I've also seen this on multiple Wonka machines that have updated their software. But IF (by some weird chance) it was somehow hardware related, it seems completely unreasonable that people would have to spend money to upgrade components JUST to get the software running smoothly.

#8687 2 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

I see that for sure. Pretty obvious. Does it impact actual game play at this point?

It doesn't appear to affect gameplay. Just annoying.

#8688 2 years ago

This stuttering is no where NEAR the DI stuttering issue (which they mostly fixed with an update, though I think they just reduced the framerate of the videos).

#8689 2 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

This stuttering is no where NEAR the DI stuttering issue (which they mostly fixed with an update, though I think they just reduced the framerate of the videos).

Well hopefully they fix it in the future. This is bad enough already, so I can't imagine what DI must have been like. This already annoys me enough that I refuse to update until it gets fixed.

I did send the video to JJP for reference. Hopefully it aids them in resolving the issue.

#8690 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

Wow you work fast, YES great job on that, the video slowed down makes it much more obvious. Also thanks for posting the JJP response, which at this time I think was reasonable on their part. Hope the next version release is back to buttery smooth animations.

#8691 2 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

Off topic, but

Just the lower 2 for me (so far).

#8692 2 years ago
Quoted from jimbodeanny:

Great, thanks for this!

Can you or anyone else share the 1.33 code? I want to bring mine back or at least have 1.33 on file...

#8693 2 years ago

With all the discussion on video issues I'm wondering if the wifi code enablement and related wifi adapters may be part of the issue; has anyone done the tests with wifi adapter installed vs. disabled on each version? Just a thought, sorry I don't have time right now to work on this but definitely want to see it resolved.

#8694 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

With all the discussion on video issues I'm wondering if the wifi code enablement and related wifi adapters may be part of the issue; has anyone done the tests with wifi adapter installed vs. disabled on each version? Just a thought, sorry I don't have time right now to work on this but definitely want to see it resolved.

I've tested both. Made no difference. Interesting thought though.

Quoted from Rager170:

Great, thanks for this!
Can you or anyone else share the 1.33 code? I want to bring mine back or at least have 1.33 on file...

I only have the Delta update of v1.33 so you'll need v1.31 as well, unless someone here has the full install ISO of v1.33?

#8695 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

Ill have to check my machine as I have no interest to enable wifi and obviously I havent...

#8696 2 years ago
Quoted from crobby:

One thing that I've noticed since I've been running 1.34 (and just now with 1.35) is that sometimes after I turn the machine on and just let it set for 5 min or so, the gobstopper hole will rote 90 degrees clockwise and remain in the 3 o'clock position. When I start a game, it then rotates 180 degrees to the 9 o'clock position (I have it set up super easy for the kids, so it normally starts with the gobstopper hole open) and tries to operate "normally" from there, but remains 90 degrees out of sync with where it should be. When I go to the device tests and spin it around to where it ought to be, it plays nice again. Still looking for more patterns to the behavior.

To close out my own issue. I talked with JJP support and after making sure the mech wasn't loose, I reseated all the opto connections, but that didn't help. What did solve my issue was doing a full install of the 1.37 software. Some form of software gremlins evidently.

#8697 2 years ago
Quoted from crobby:

To close out my own issue. I talked with JJP support and after making sure the mech wasn't loose, I reseated all the opto connections, but that didn't help. What did solve my issue was doing a full install of the 1.37 software. Some form of software gremlins evidently.

Wow, very interesting..

#8698 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Thanks for sharing this. Since you posted, I have been paying more attention during MB and agree, feel like flippers lose power. Question, is there any downside to going +2 on the flippers? Is it harder on flipper coils or anything like that? Just curious what the benefit/risk is before I adjust. When it comes to tinkering with things, I am limited so want to minimize any future fixes.

Btw, thanks for your WW videos, taught me how to play much quicker.

#8699 2 years ago

Couple quick updates on the animation issues...

1) I sent the video as well as the info about v1.34/1.35 (that also suffer the same issue) to JJP and received a response that they passed the info to Software. So hopefully that will help aid in them fixing it.

2) For the hell of it, I threw another 4GB stick of RAM in my motherboard to see if it would help at all (with v1.37) and no dice. Not surprising.

#8700 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

Thanks for sharing this. Since you posted, I have been paying more attention during MB and agree, feel like flippers lose power. Question, is there any downside to going +2 on the flippers? Is it harder on flipper coils or anything like that? Just curious what the benefit/risk is before I adjust. When it comes to tinkering with things, I am limited so want to minimize any future fixes.
Btw, thanks for your WW videos, taught me how to play much quicker.

I don’t think there is risk turning them up. Even if the coils went bad (got too hot), I think they can be replaced for $20 each. It would not be something I’d worry about, no chance of causing damage unless a fire starts! Now outside of multiball, i could notice the extra power, bricked my saucer shot a few times but you get used to it quickly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 64.00
15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 25.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.99
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
There are 13,943 posts in this topic. You are on page 174 of 279.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside/page/174?hl=zmeny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.