IMG_5853.jpeg
IMG_7855 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7951 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6910 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7506 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7465 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8062 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,943 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 279.
#751 4 years ago
Quoted from Gasoline:

Playing this game for hours upon hours at Derek's (zaphX), I have to say this game is truly fun! Three items I want to call out:
1) The main LCD screen:
Originally, I thought there was a lot of real estate wasted, too static of an environment, and the relevant status information being displayed too small. All wasted opportunity. I was not a fan. What I have come to learn is there is so much information hidden on this screen in a subtle way that they almost become Easter eggs as you discover their value the more you play. Now that I have a better understanding of what to look for and the value the screen's information conveys, I'm liking how ingenious the thought that went into the complex UI design. I still think more can be added and details can be made larger in certain parts.
2) The sound blender:
Again, I initially called out that my perception on sound clip integration seemed sloppy and random. The more I played, the more I realized I was wrong. There is a reason various sounds do happen when they happen and I just didn't understand at first. Most sounds happen as a clue of what's going on or the mode you've entered. Just takes time to learn. Also with the stacking of multi-ball and activities, it makes more sense why the sound clips go off and are necessary. I hope more of the sound IP will be added/integrated.
3) You have to play the game (and multiple times):
I can't emphasize enough, it is a different experience playing the game vs watching the stream. A lot of the issues being called out go away or become less relevant as you begin to understand the game and are in it's actual presence. This game is about longevity and discovery of the rules/objectives. The experience of the lights, sounds and physical interaction make this game magical. Watching the streams do not convey this.
Kudos has to be given to JJP for the layers of complexity, thought put into the design for this game, coding, and the fun in discovery of the details while playing. You can not understand this until you've put many hours on this pin! They have been taking a lot of gruff and getting knit-picked for decisions on certain aspects of this game. They deserve more praise too!
I can't say it enough, WW is fun and addictive pin. Congrats to all those who took the plunge!

100% agree.

#752 4 years ago

Put some time on a brand new se yesterday and man i love this pin. I can't explain why but its just fun fun fun and the newer code is a huge improvement over the prototypes i played. This game is gonna be my favorite jjp when all said and done.

#753 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Thanks, glad you're enjoying the streams - we are enjoying making them!

What’s your best score? I have played it twice in a home environment and my second score was 899,000

#754 4 years ago

Filled in that empty wall next to mine quite nicely : )

65927763_333719654177175_2571571660859637760_n (resized).jpg65927763_333719654177175_2571571660859637760_n (resized).jpg
#755 4 years ago

There's two shots under the mini LCD.

I wonder if the CPU has enough "umpf" to do computer vision body detection? Wouldn't it be cool if it detected if you were leaning left or right and that could be used to select which lane is lit for points?

You'd see yourself moving on the LCD and the inserts changing based off your body. That would be SO COOL!

#756 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

What’s your best score? I have played it twice in a home environment and my second score was 899,000

Mine is 1.1 million. Susan has GC at 1.6 million.

#757 4 years ago

Raising the power to the vuk coils fixed my subway issue. Still have the ball trough problem, but i put a bit of the packing foam in the left side and now i can at least play it. Love this game! Shoots so good! This is my first jjp, and im amazed at the build quality. No scratches or dimpling, just a beautiful looking game

#758 4 years ago

Anyone added a Shaker motor to their SE yet? I'm thinking about doing it, wondering where you all got your shaker motors. I see the JJP shaker motor on pinball life that says it works with Wonka. Anyone tried that one? I don't see any for sale directly on JJP's site, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

#759 4 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

Anyone added a Shaker motor to their SE yet? I'm thinking about doing it, wondering where you all got your shaker motors. I see the JJP shaker motor on pinball life that says it works with Wonka. Anyone tried that one? I don't see any for sale directly on JJP's site, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

I was going to order one tonight from pinball life

#760 4 years ago

Jack is going to be streaming from my place this Monday night

deadflip (resized).pngdeadflip (resized).png
#761 4 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

I added that exact shaker from PBL. It works great! Simple to do, connection is right there.

I will say it is used fairly sparingly, at least so far. You get a bump when you hit the Gobstobber target, a super nice increasing rumble for Wonkavator Multiball, and some other effects in sync with multiball modes.

#762 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Jack is going to be streaming from my place this Monday night[quoted image]

Meh. I'll wait for the LE to come out.

#763 4 years ago

I purchased my shaker motors directly from JJP. $130/$135 if I remember correctly. $150 at pinball life

#764 4 years ago

delete

#766 4 years ago
Quoted from RhinoPins:

Picked up a Wonka SE (Thanks to Chris KingpinGames).
I'm pressing the Start button and nothing is happening. No errors. Ummmm thoughts?
TIA

Does the start button work in test? Start there. Check the connectors on the i/o board behind the LCD screen in the backbox.

#767 4 years ago
Quoted from RhinoPins:

Picked up a Wonka SE (Thanks to Chris KingpinGames).
I'm pressing the Start button and nothing is happening. No errors. Ummmm thoughts?
TIA

Do you have credits on it and balls in the game? Is it on Freeplay? Loose or disconnected connectors?

#768 4 years ago
Quoted from RhinoPins:

I'm pressing the Start button and nothing is happening.

Please check Tests - Switches - Matrixed, does it work there ? If no then check the switch, wiring, nearby connectors, etc. Do you hear it click when pushing the start button ?

Right number of balls in the game ?

LTG : )

#769 4 years ago

Hey folks! Thanks for the quick replies on my issues. So here were my JJP Wonka setup issues. I hope this post helps anyone else getting this super fun pin.

1. Trough error
2. Start button not working
3. Main LCD not working
4. Tilt screw stripped and foam missing

Fix #1: I was going a little nuts on this one. I traced all connections, tested all switches/stuffs in menu. Everything seemed to be tight and right. So... I placed my pin in a temp place until I free up some room for a permanent spot. Turns out that a can light directly overhead was causing the light sensor on the back trough to activate, causing the switch error. Can light bulb removed and problem fixed. I only discovered this as I put my face right up to the back trough to see what was going on and the error stopped. smh.

Fix #2: Thanks to the replies and help on this one. I started at the switch test menu and confirmed Start was not operational. I then chased from the IO board all the way to the switch. I was really confused on this one as all looked good and nothing missing. I then took a better look at the switch (per flyhigh suggestion) and sure as crap I noticed that only one connection was on and the bottom connect was bent (how did I miss that!). I found the missing connection hidden under the run up tight to a zip tie. My guess is something pulled that wire on the other side of that zip hard enough for it to bend the switch metal, pull and hide under the run.

Fix #3: Thanks to folks posting on here that the LCD was on magnets. I just pulled the monitor off and plugged in the HDMI that came off.

Fix #4: There are two wood screws on the bottom of the tilt metal form holding it to the cab. One of the bottom ones with the ground? connector was stripped and the connection was loose. I moved it to the other screw which still had grip in the wood. Also, the packing foam was missing from the tilt (instructions said it was to be there).

Gameplay initial thoughts: Tons of STDMs. :/ More thoughts to come!

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

<edited to update>

#770 4 years ago
Quoted from RhinoPins:

Gameplay initial thoughts: Tons of STDMs. :/ More thoughts to come!

It gets better

Things I’ve found:

- Keep it away from the slings at all costs. When it’s bouncing between slings you want to be banging upward like a madman to try and get it outta there.
- Backhanding the Gobstopper is hella safer than forehanding it.
- If you have a clean loop through the orbit (no pop contact) it is going SDTM. You absolutely have to nudge on the way out.

It’s a very difficult game but definitely rewarding and fun!

#771 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Keep it away from the slings at all costs. When it’s bouncing between slings you want to be banging upward like a madman to try and get it outta there.

Did you try lowering the power on them a little ?

#772 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you try lowering the power on them a little ?

That would be cheating! They are aggro by design (I assume) and I want to learn to defeat that.

#773 4 years ago

How bout a topper???

#774 4 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

How bout a topper???

CE is supposed to get one!

#775 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

That would be cheating! They are aggro by design (I assume) and I want to learn to defeat that.

Mine out of the box were much softer than they were factory on my pirates (my potc slings are a mutha).

#776 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Mine out of the box were much softer than they were factory on my pirates (my potc slings are a mutha).

Yeah POTC slings are fierce but I leave those at default also. I want to retain the designer’s vision.

#777 4 years ago

Hey guys, check this out !!!!

What are the odds!!???

20190705_202935 (resized).jpg20190705_202935 (resized).jpg
#778 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yeah POTC slings are fierce but I leave those at default also. I want to retain the designer’s vision.

I agree and typically do the same which I thought was odd that you said your Wonka slings are brutal because mine are relatively soft. Other owners?

#779 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It gets better
- If you have a clean loop through the orbit (no pop contact) it is going SDTM. You absolutely have to nudge on the way out.

Agree, and I feel this is the biggest "what the heck" of the pin. Not so for myself as I see it coming, but the kids just look at me with the "seriously" face.

#780 4 years ago

Personal review
Got wonka Friday and after playing for around 4hr i must say it's one hell of a game it flows great plenty of shots love the theme, call outs and the announcer goes perfect with the theme everything flows and compliments each other. I personally think its pretty deep game with plenty to do the more you play the more little things you discover I can only imagine what else can come with more updates Wonka is built like a tank and was package very well great job by the jjp team. Wonka is much more than any stern premium to be honest but that's my opinion.
CONS- I notice its little dark when playing in the dark room/lights off but I got some backboard lights/through lights coming in to help that. Also I cant get Gobstopper subway to work properly it gets stuck and it takes a ball search to help push the ball all the way to the vaulk up shot I crank the setting to 22 and still does it often (little help)

#781 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackzarak:

Personal review
Got wonka Friday and after playing for around 4hr i must say it's one hell of a game it flows great plenty of shots love the theme, call outs and the announcer goes perfect with the theme everything flows and compliments each other. I personally think its pretty deep game with plenty to do the more you play the more little things you discover I can only imagine what else can come with more updates Wonka is built like a tank and was package very well great job by the jjp team. Wonka is much more than any stern premium to be honest but that's my opinion.
CONS- I notice its little dark when playing in the dark room/lights off but I got some backboard lights/through lights coming in to help that. Also I cant get Gobstopper subway to work properly it gets stuck and it takes a ball search to help push the ball all the way to the vaulk up shot I crank the setting to 22 and still does it often (little help)

Did you change both coils? That fixed mine

#782 4 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Did you change both coils? That fixed mine

Gobstopper lock realease is at 22
Gobstopper vuk kicker is at 20
But I still get the same problem, I notice theres a slight lip on the sub vaulk might need to bend it to allow the ball to complete its flow Not sure yet, but I notice it works after it goes in search mode which sucks..

#783 4 years ago

These are the texts back from jjp to my distributor on the fix for it.

Have him pull the assembly for the Gobstopper subway VUK and check the length of the coil sleeve used for that side popper that feeds the VUK.

It should not protrude into the subway very far (just enough to hold the coil in place). If it sticks out an 1/8” or more, he should trim the excess.

We saw some bad sleeves at the factory that stick out too far, causing the ball to bounce around a bit at the side popper and not sit on the microswitch there properly.

If the side popper is actually kicking the ball and not getting it into the VUK shaft, a little coil strength adjustment or slight bend on the metal trough lip may be in order.

#784 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I agree and typically do the same which I thought was odd that you said your Wonka slings are brutal because mine are relatively soft. Other owners?

They aren’t brutal due to power - they pop appropriately - they are brutal because they cause outlane drains so often!

#785 4 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

These are the texts back from jjp to my distributor on the fix for it.
Have him pull the assembly for the Gobstopper subway VUK and check the length of the coil sleeve used for that side popper that feeds the VUK.
It should not protrude into the subway very far (just enough to hold the coil in place). If it sticks out an 1/8” or more, he should trim the excess.
We saw some bad sleeves at the factory that stick out too far, causing the ball to bounce around a bit at the side popper and not sit on the microswitch there properly.
If the side popper is actually kicking the ball and not getting it into the VUK shaft, a little coil strength adjustment or slight bend on the metal trough lip may be in order.

I just fixed this issue, it was taking a while for the ball to get ejected to the playfield. The fix isn’t too bad, but the assembly is pretty large and there are six optos attached to it so be mindful. The process is to remove all 8 screws holding the mech to the playfield. You won’t be able to disconnect the mech from the game, at least not easily, as there are wires running all over the place and everything is bundled. Before removing the mech, have a file/rasp and a razor knife on hand.

1. Remove all 8 screws saving the two outer ones for last so it’s easier to handle.
2. Once the screws are removed, Hold the mech in your left hand and slowly lower it so you can see inside and access/inspect the coil sleeve. If you can feel the sleeve with your finger, it’s too long.
3. Using the razor knife, slice away as much of the sleeve as you can and then finish with the file/rasp. Once it’s flush with the metal, it’s done. Push the plunger down to make sure there is no binding and it moves freely.
4. Reassemble.

If anyone needs pics or more details, let me know, but it should be pretty obvious what to do.

#786 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I just fixed this issue, it was taking a while for the ball to get ejected to the playfield. The fix isn’t too bad, but the assembly is pretty large and there are six optos attached to it so be mindful. The process is to remove all 8 screws holding the mech to the playfield. You won’t be able to disconnect the mech from the game, at least not easily, as there are wires running all over the place and everything is bundled. Before removing the mech, have a file/rasp and a razor knife on hand.
1. Remove all 8 screws saving the two outer ones for last so it’s easier to handle.
2. Once the screws are removed, Hold the mech in your left hand and slowly lower it so you can see inside and access/inspect the coil sleeve. If you can feel the sleeve with your finger, it’s too long.
3. Using the razor knife, slice away as much of the sleeve as you can and then finish with the file/rasp. Once it’s flush with the metal, it’s done. Push the plunger down to make sure there is no binding and it moves freely.
4. Reassemble.
If anyone needs pics or more details, let me know, but it should be pretty obvious what to do.

Kind of awful that this needs to be done with a brand new pinball.

#787 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Agreed. I'm all for a few kinks here and there on a new machine, but we're talking about removing a mech and needing to use a file and razor knife for Christ's sake!

Good thing I'm patient and willing to wait for an LE. Let the early adopters find all the flaws, report back to JJP, then JJP fixes everything before I get mine!

#788 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Quoted from dirtbag66:

Agreed. I'm all for a few kinks here and there on a new machine, but we're talking about removing a mech and needing to use a file and razor knife for Christ's sake!
Good thing I'm patient and willing to wait for an LE. Let the early adopters find all the flaws, report back to JJP, then JJP fixes everything before I get mine!

Not really, I enjoy tinkering with the games. Jjp games are much more intricate so naturally it will be more involved to fix. Took me 15 minutes to fix it. If i had to do it again, half the time.

#789 4 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

OMG the humanity! Charles Barkly said It"s Turrible just turrible

#790 4 years ago

I'm getting an issue when shooting into the right saucer. It just keeps doing this (in the video) and eventually I have to nudge it hard enough for something to register. It usually ends up tilting because it takes a lot of force.

#791 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

I'm getting an issue when shooting into the right saucer. It just keeps doing this (in the video) and eventually I have to nudge it hard enough for something to register. It usually ends up tilting because it takes a lot of force.

Check the coil underneath, might have a loose connection or broken wire. Or something underneath is causing the Hangup if the ball eventually fires out.

#792 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Check the coil underneath, might have a loose connection or broken wire. Or something underneath is causing the Hangup if the ball eventually fires out.

It doesn't do it all the time, maybe 20%.

#793 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

It doesn't do it all the time, maybe 20%.

Here are some pics. Black circles are the screws to remove last. Yellow arrow points to the coil's sleeve you want to check. Yellow circle is the entire mech.

PicsArt_07-07-10.30.40 (resized).jpgPicsArt_07-07-10.30.40 (resized).jpgPicsArt_07-07-10.32.09 (resized).jpgPicsArt_07-07-10.32.09 (resized).jpg
#794 4 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Quoted from dirtbag66:

And btw, the game is fantastic, you will love it. You really need to play it in a home environment where you can hear the call outs, appreciate the light show and feel the flow. It’s classic Lawlor, great flowing ramp shots. The modes are really well done and I think it integrates well. Kid Multiball, Oompa Loompa odyssey, lots of cool stuff. I don’t get the disappointment I hear from some people. There are also no flipper power issues. The game has the light show of woz and shoots like DI.

#795 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

And btw, the game is fantastic, you will love it. You really need to play it in a home environment where you can hear the call outs, appreciate the light show and feel the flow. It’s classic Lawlor, great flowing ramp shots. The modes are really well done and I think it integrates well. Kid Multiball, Oompa Loompa odyssey, lots of cool stuff. I don’t get the disappointment I hear from some people. There are also no flipper power issues. The game has the light show of woz and shoots like DI.

That might be the best description of this game I've heard.

#796 4 years ago

How do you SE owners view the lack of the Wonkavator? Is it really an issue ?

#797 4 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

I have not missed it! But then again I have not played one with the Wonkavator. You still get wonkavator multiball. The only thing I notice is a dark zone in the upper left side. Going to add some light here later.

2k in my back pocket makes me forget real fast.

#798 4 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

not an issue at all. the feature is cool, yes, but there are no tears for lack of the wonkavator lock. im too busy smiling and laughing when playing

#799 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Can you post a close up picture of the hole without a ball in it?

#800 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I have not missed it! But then again I have not played one with the Wonkavator. You still get wonkavator multiball. The only thing I notice is a dark zone in the upper left side. Going to add some light here later.
2k in my back pocket makes me forget real fast.

Yeah, it's dark back there...fixed that...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 13,943 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 279.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside/page/16?hl=frobozz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.