New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 240130)

Wonka Club - Golden Tickets Inside

By f3honda4me

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 6,315 posts
  • 406 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by zaphX
  • Topic is favorited by 165 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“What edition are you ordering or planning to buy?”

• Standard 112 votes
    27%
  • Limited Edition 218 votes
    53%
  • Collectors Edition 80 votes
    20%

(410 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 935 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

7D1EE606-5D8F-4ECE-9703-E2271CDE24C5 (resized).jpeg
18253F68-0C0E-4B6E-8144-D42C59E964C1 (resized).jpeg
E1C84F10-517C-4EE2-807D-20C2B4E8041F (resized).jpeg
WW_Rules_Jan20.pdf (PDF preview)
WW (resized).jpg
16029593853631444668132059831512.jpg
16029593749418612923346463799714.jpg
16029593654913191519638161050311.jpg
16029593488743943420180440047711.jpg
20201017_113438 (Medium) (resized).jpg
_DSC1657 (Large) (resized).JPG
_DSC1656 (Large) (resized).JPG
_DSC1654 (Large) (resized).JPG
_DSC1652 (Large) (resized).JPG
_DSC1651 (Large) (resized).JPG
_DSC1650 (Large) (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6315 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 127.
#701 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'll be streaming Wonka on and off this week at twitch.tv/nspinball.
I had a pretty great game with a neat mode:

Nice game!

Dammit man - now I'm wanting a Willy Wonka again!

Back on the wishlist.

#702 1 year ago

Game looks great!

#703 1 year ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

I'm coming to terms with the code focusing on the Oompa Loompas rather than the children, as long as its fun to play!

I would say the code focuses very much on the children.

Each kid has 3 states: qualified, completed, and collected (for kid multiball.)
This is depicted on the pipe on the left.
When qualified, the kid's picture is there.
When completed, the small circle to the left of their picture contains a relevant icon. (Gum for violet, glasses for Mike TV etc.)
When collected, steam is around their picture.

Each kid has a color, and the shots that qualify/complete them match their color.

Agustus: Red
Violet: Violet (naturally)
Charlie: Orange
Veruca: Pink
Mike TV: Cyan

Each kid's shots and modes have callouts (and for some, video) relating to their part of the story.

Agustus is all about being stuck in the pipe and is qualified via spinner. There's lots of callouts about the pressure building, etc.
Violet is about the GUM targets.
Charlie is the fizzy lifting drink room. The spinner seems to make him and grandpa rise levels, possibly other shots (not sure).
Veruca is the good egg/bad egg scene. In her mode you have to make green good egg shots while avoiding red bad egg ones.

Collecting kids for Kid Multiball is done with the captive ball shot, and makes their profile photo start steaming. Starting the Kid Multiball via the far left shot will have more balls and rewards depending on how many kids you go in with.

#704 1 year ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

Thanks for posting the pics, Honda said he's not even getting Wonka, so not sure why he's still here. He already yelled at me on PM for daring to point out any errors in prototypes.

Amazingly, it's not a requirement to own a pin before you can post in a thread about the pin. As for the PM, you PM'd me first, and I gave you an answer you didn't like, so I guess that's me "yelling" at you.

#705 1 year ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

Thanks for posting the pics, Honda said he's not even getting Wonka, so not sure why he's still here. He already yelled at me on PM for daring to point out any errors in prototypes.

Hopefully you are now gruntled

#706 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I would say the code focuses very much on the children.
Each kid has 3 states: qualified, completed, and collected (for kid multiball.)
This is depicted on the pipe on the left.
When qualified, the kid's picture is there.
When completed, the small circle to the left of their picture contains a relevant icon. (Gum for violet, glasses for Mike TV etc.)
When collected, steam is around their picture.
Each kid has a color, and the shots that qualify/complete them match their color.
Agustus: Red
Violet: Violet (naturally)
Charlie: Orange
Veruca: Pink
Mike TV: Cyan
Each kid's shots and modes have callouts (and for some, video) relating to their part of the story.
Agustus is all about being stuck in the pipe and is qualified via spinner. There's lots of callouts about the pressure building, etc.
Violet is about the GUM targets.
Charlie is the fizzy lifting drink room. The spinner seems to make him and grandpa rise levels, possibly other shots (not sure).
Veruca is the good egg/bad egg scene. In her mode you have to make green good egg shots while avoiding red bad egg ones.
Collecting kids for Kid Multiball is done with the captive ball shot, and makes their profile photo start steaming. Starting the Kid Multiball via the far left shot will have more balls and rewards depending on how many kids you go in with.

Thanks I knew the other 2 but not the steam that they were collected.
Took me a while figure out Veruca and Charlie were linked to modes.

#708 1 year ago

I absolutely will. I wanted to give a few days play first for my opinions to solidify.

They have been steadily improving the more I play!

#709 1 year ago

What's up with all the flagging on reviews?!?!?!

You seemed fair and conscientious in how you viewed things. Solid writeup!

#710 1 year ago
Quoted from wesman:

What's up with all the flagging on reviews?!?!?!
You seemed fair and conscientious in how you viewed things. Solid writeup!

Probably because his review was originally based upon what he saw on a stream and not actually seeing and playing it in person.

#711 1 year ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Probably because his review was originally based upon what he saw on a stream and not actually seeing and playing it in person.

This. Playing the game is a whole different thing. Exactly what happened to me with Oktoberfest. Didn’t think much of the stream but was pleasantly surprised when i played it. So, reviewing on streams skews the actual reviews of the game.

#712 1 year ago

Delete

#714 1 year ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Quoted from spandol:

This. Playing the game is a whole different thing. Exactly what happened to me with Oktoberfest. Didn’t think much of the stream but was pleasantly surprised when i played it. So, reviewing on streams skews the actual reviews of the game.

That's what I figured, or JJP hate, or both.

Seems like he finally played it.....? I think.

#715 1 year ago

I just got my game unboxed and set up, and its having a couple issues. Hopefully you guys can tell me what im doing wrong. I made sure it was level, but on a lot of center drains, the ball is going left, instead of right in the trough, making it not register the ball drain and just seems like a bad design. The other is the gobstopper subway lock. It will aknowledge the lock, but the ball gets caught up in the subway somewhere and wont spit it out until the second ball search. Nothing seems to be binding it up either. Any help would be great

#716 1 year ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

I just got my game unboxed and set up, and its having a couple issues. Hopefully you guys can tell me what im doing wrong. I made sure it was level, but on a lot of center drains, the ball is going left, instead of right in the trough, making it not register the ball drain and just seems like a bad design. The other is the gobstopper subway lock. It will aknowledge the lock, but the ball gets caught up in the subway somewhere and wont spit it out until the second ball search. Nothing seems to be binding it up either. Any help would be great

What did you use to ensure it was level? Inclinometer? Pinguy app?

#717 1 year ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Where is the vertical level? I run mine with the top of the bubble at the second line from the bottom.

For side to side Did you level the glass, or the playfield?

#718 1 year ago

Left and right level i ised a small level, on the playfield and on the glass. Front and back of game. Its level. Pitch may be off though

#719 1 year ago

Vertical is second line from bottom

#720 1 year ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Left and right level i ised a small level, on the playfield and on the glass. Front and back of game. Its level. Pitch may be off though

You shouldn't go by the bubble level in the machine, they can be off. You really need an inclinometer or the pinguy app or other reliable method.

#721 1 year ago

Following all The great reviews here. I’ll prob be in the market for an SE HUO in MD when someone local upgrades.

#722 1 year ago

Im going to try and make it a little more steep tomorrow, see if that helps, but to me it shouldnt be that unforgiving. The ball trough is weird, it will wedge the ball in the left side, theres nothing there to stop it. Talked to gary at abel, he gave me a few things to check. Great game otherwise!

#723 1 year ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Im going to try and make it a little more steep tomorrow, see if that helps, but to me it shouldnt be that unforgiving. The ball trough is weird, it will wedge the ball in the left side, theres nothing there to stop it. Talked to gary at abel, he gave me a few things to check. Great game otherwise!

Out of curiosity, is your tilt bobber centered or leaning to one direction or another?

#724 1 year ago

Its centered. As far as the subway problem jjp engineering said it could be a coil sleeve issue, i need to check that tomorrow

#725 1 year ago

There isnt supposed to be anything on the left side of the ball trough right? Seems kind of odd

#726 1 year ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

There isnt supposed to be anything on the left side of the ball trough right? Seems kind of odd

For the gobstopper subway issue, go into coil settings and turn it up to the 20’s.

#727 1 year ago

Ill try that, but its the coil that hits it to the vuk. Its almost like its not reaching the coil, or not sitting properly on the plunger.

#728 1 year ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

or not sitting properly on the plunger.

Definitely if the coil sleeve is a tiny bit longer than should it should be.

LTG : )

#729 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Definitely if the coil sleeve is a tiny bit longer than should it should be.
LTG : )

Thats what gary relayed to me. I wouldnt think it would be that sensitive to the incline or level. I will report back tomorrow after i try a few things.

#730 1 year ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Ill try that, but its the coil that hits it to the vuk. Its almost like its not reaching the coil, or not sitting properly on the plunger.

This has been the reported fix on several Wonkas, including mine.

#731 1 year ago
Quoted from djreddog:

This has been the reported fix on several Wonkas, including mine.

Ok cool. I didnt want to dig through 15 pages on the off chance of a fix. Was yours not going to the vuk either? Theres that coil that pushes it to the vuk, and my thought was its that one. How hard is it to fix?

#732 1 year ago

Also, there is not supposed to be anything on the left of the ball trough to stop balls from going that way correct?

#733 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Streaming with gasoline and cjchand now!
http://twitch.tv/nspinball

Derek is streaming again if anyone is interested in watching and asking more questions:

http://twitch.tv/nspinball

#734 1 year ago

Also, catch Derek’s interview discussion on being one of the first WW SE HOU on Kaneda’s latest Podcast.

He does a great job discussing his initial impressions, handling hot topic issues people have called out from the streams, overcoming initial gameplay frustrations, and how to enjoy the game.

#735 1 year ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Ok cool. I didnt want to dig through 15 pages on the off chance of a fix. Was yours not going to the vuk either? Theres that coil that pushes it to the vuk, and my thought was its that one. How hard is it to fix?

Enter Full Menu-Settings-Coil Settings-Scroll to the very bottom, change both Gobstopper settings to the 20s.

As for the trough, nothing to the left.

#736 1 year ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Enter Full Menu-Settings-Coil Settings-Scroll to the very bottom, change both Gobstopper settings to the 20s.
As for the trough, nothing to the left.

Ok thank you. The ball trough could be a level issue then

#737 1 year ago

The ball can scoot up there and wedge - I know of locations adding a tie wrap or something to close the gap at the left end.

#738 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

The ball can scoot up there and wedge - I know of locations adding a tie wrap or something to close the gap at the left end.

I'm seriously thinking about 3d printing a little wedge to slide into there.

#739 1 year ago

All in on the SE.

0EA71132-2E4F-4984-A1FB-617B77F5771D (resized).jpeg2692160B-725E-45B7-887C-9CED9574E353 (resized).jpegE24A9D0D-0172-419F-99C7-963A3CE8C89F (resized).jpeg
#740 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Ok. I can see a tie strap or wedge working there. What is the purpose of it being open? Ball removal? Seems like that should be all it would need is to be squeezed slightly, to make the ball bounce back into the trough

#741 1 year ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Go to Home Depot and buy a good torpedoe level and an inclinemeter.It's the only way to do this correct.
Use the inclinemeter at center halfway up and center set machine to 6.5 to 7 degrees .And then use torpedoe
level right above flippers and high up on play field. You will be happy

#742 1 year ago

All i need is the clinometer. I have a torpedo level. It is level left to right. That is the first thing i do. As far as pitch, i set it similar to my sterns that are all set to around 6.8

#743 1 year ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

All i need is the clinometer. I have a torpedo level. It is level left to right. That is the first thing i do. As far as pitch, i set it similar to my sterns that are all set to around 6.8

Cool get incline meter and your set.More accurate.

#744 1 year ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Ok so I just got my Wonka today, and I'm having the same issue I used a stabila torpedo level which is the best in the market and own other pins, but the subway vaulk gets caught just like mention by others it seems it cant reach for some reason I bump up the settings to its max and it searches and eventually hits it I’m pretty bumm out.. should I contact jjp or distributor regarding this issue? I. Pretty wavy but don’t know how to fix this problem. Seems to be common apparently once other members are reporting he same issue also notice my pin looks pretty bad in front of gobbstopper play field insert it looks worn do any other owners have the same condition?
20190705_161303 (resized).jpg

#745 1 year ago

Playing this game for hours upon hours at Derek's (zaphX), I have to say this game is truly fun! Three items I want to call out:

1) The main LCD screen:
Originally, I thought there was a lot of real estate wasted, too static of an environment, and the relevant status information being displayed too small. All wasted opportunity. I was not a fan. What I have come to learn is there is so much information hidden on this screen in a subtle way that they almost become Easter eggs as you discover their value the more you play. Now that I have a better understanding of what to look for and the value the screen's information conveys, I'm liking how ingenious the thought that went into the complex UI design. I still think more can be added and details can be made larger in certain parts.

2) The sound blender:
Again, I initially called out that my perception on sound clip integration seemed sloppy and random. The more I played, the more I realized I was wrong. There is a reason various sounds do happen when they happen and I just didn't understand at first. Most sounds happen as a clue of what's going on or the mode you've entered. Just takes time to learn. Also with the stacking of multi-ball and activities, it makes more sense why the sound clips go off and are necessary. I hope more of the sound IP will be added/integrated.

3) You have to play the game (and multiple times):
I can't emphasize enough, it is a different experience playing the game vs watching the stream. A lot of the issues being called out go away or become less relevant as you begin to understand the game and are in it's actual presence. This game is about longevity and discovery of the rules/objectives. The experience of the lights, sounds and physical interaction make this game magical. Watching the streams do not convey this.

Kudos has to be given to JJP for the layers of complexity, thought put into the design for this game, coding, and the fun in discovery of the details while playing. You can not understand this until you've put many hours on this pin! They have been taking a lot of gruff and getting knit-picked for decisions on certain aspects of this game. They deserve more praise too!

I can't say it enough, WW is fun and addictive pin. Congrats to all those who took the plunge!

#746 1 year ago
Quoted from Gasoline:

Playing this game for hours upon hours at Derek's (zaphX), I have to say this game is truly fun! Three items I want to call out:
1) The main LCD screen:
Originally, I thought there was a lot of real estate wasted, too static of an environment, and the relevant status information being displayed too small. All wasted opportunity. I was not a fan. What I have come to learn is there is so much information hidden on this screen in a subtle way that they almost become Easter eggs as you discover their value the more you play. Now that I have a better understanding of what to look for and the value the screen's information conveys, I'm liking how ingenious the thought that went into the complex UI design. I still think more can be added and details can be made larger in certain parts.
2) The sound blender:
Again, I initially called out that my perception on sound clip integration seemed sloppy and random. The more I played, the more I realized I was wrong. There is a reason various sounds do happen when they happen and I just didn't understand at first. Most sounds happen as a clue of what's going on or the mode you've entered. Just takes time to learn. Also with the stacking of multi-ball and activities, it makes more sense why the sound clips go off and are necessary. I think more can be added with the sound IP.
I can't emphasize enough, it is a different experience playing the game vs watching the stream. A lot of the issues being called out go away or become less relevant as you begin to understand the game and are in it's actual presence. The experience of the lights, sounds and physical interaction make this game magical. Watching the streams do not convey this.
Kudos has to be given to JJP for the layers of complexity, thought put into the design for this game, and the fun in discovery of the details while playing. You can not understand this until you've put many hours on this pin! They have been taking a lot of gruff and getting knit-picked for decisions on certain aspects of this game. They deserve more praise too!
I can't say it enough, WW is fun and addictive pin. Congrats to all those who took the plunge!

Great write up. This game is very fun. I just sold GOTG yesterday along with Pac-Man/Galaga & Super Pac-Man. So 7k cash ready. $2,500 more to go. Anyone need a Defender or Ms Pac-Man?

#747 1 year ago
Quoted from Gasoline:

1) The main LCD screen:
2) The sound blender:
Again, I initially called out that my perception on sound clip integration seemed sloppy and random. The more I played, the more I realized I was wrong. There is a reason various sounds do happen when they happen and I just didn't understand at first. Most sounds happen as a clue of what's going on or the mode you've entered. Just takes time to learn. Also with the stacking of multi-ball and activities, it makes more sense why the sound clips go off and are necessary. I hope more of the sound IP will be added/integrated.
I can't emphasize enough, it is a different experience playing the game vs watching the stream. A lot of the issues being called out go away or become less relevant as you begin to understand the game and are in it's actual presence. This game is about longevity and discovery of the rules/objectives. The experience of the lights, sounds and physical interaction make this game magical. Watching the streams do not convey this.
Kudos has to be given to JJP for the layers of complexity, thought put into the design for this game, coding, and the fun in discovery of the details while playing. You can not understand this until you've put many hours on this pin! They have been taking a lot of gruff and getting knit-picked for decisions on certain aspects of this game. They deserve more praise too!

Thanks for hanging out and putting up some scores for me to work on

I think the bottom line on this pin is that it cannot be judged on a hot take - it requires time to learn and appreciate.

#748 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Thanks for hanging out and putting up some scores for me to work on
I think the bottom line on this pin is that it cannot be judged on a hot take - it requires time to learn and appreciate.

I enjoyed the streams and the comments from you and Gasoline, as well as the interview on Kaneda's. Last night I decided to finally take the plunge and hopefully my SE will be arriving next week!

#749 1 year ago
Quoted from Blackzarak:

Ok so I just got my Wonka today, and I'm having the same issue I used a stabila torpedo level which is the best in the market and own other pins, but the subway vaulk gets caught just like mention by others it seems it cant reach for some reason I bump up the settings to its max and it searches and eventually hits it I’m pretty bumm out.. should I contact jjp or distributor regarding this issue? I. Pretty wavy but don’t know how to fix this problem. Seems to be common apparently once other members are reporting he same issue also notice my pin looks pretty bad in front of gobbstopper play field insert it looks worn do any other owners have the same condition?
[quoted image]

Yes, the insert plastic looks like that on all of them.

#750 1 year ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I enjoyed the streams and the comments from you and Gasoline, as well as the interview on Kaneda's. Last night I decided to finally take the plunge and hopefully my SE will be arriving next week!

Thanks, glad you're enjoying the streams - we are enjoying making them!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 23.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 23.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
There are 6315 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 127.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside