IMG_2445 (resized).jpeg
wonka (resized).jpg
ca1d7f7e-8a2b-4029-af32-f724544015c9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5842.jpeg
IMG_5849.jpeg
IMG_5853.jpeg
IMG_7855 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,974 posts in this topic. You are on page 158 of 280.
#7851 3 years ago

How are you guys getting the update the website link still doesn't work.

#7852 3 years ago
Quoted from chillme:

Upgraded our CE to 1.34. I'm glad I listened to ltg advice and made a backup of settings before hand. Installed wiped the settings and scores. It would have been a rough weekend if my wife's grand champion score had gotten wiped out. Restore worked perfect.

I didn't realize I needed to back up my scores before doing the update!

Lost all our high scores and pictures. On the bright side, my family is ecstatic they now have a chance to take the Top 10 and Grand Champion spots again!

#7853 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Looks like a bad download. I'd start over. If you used the USA mirror, try the EU mirror.
LTG : )

That install error is lousy, no ideas but hopefully starting from scratch will fix whatever hiccup happened. I used the USA download link today with no issues (well, don't get me started on the Mac headaches, I spent an hour trying command line crap to get the Mac version of unetbootin to work, apparently there are issues with the latest version of OSX ... I finally gave up, booted up Windows, and was SO easy to do, so zero issues with Windows). Just be sure to give your the image plenty of time to write to your USB; mine stopped at 87% complete for about 15 minutes, then continued, so just be patient (exactly as advised in the JJP directions). And I didn't read all of the forum comments first, but I can confirmed that high score, settings, AND all audit data are completely reset with the install (now it appears my machine has never been played ... good to know this when shopping for any used JJPs in the future that the eyeball test is more important than the # of games played according to the logs). After a couple of plays I have seen subtle differences in the code, seems a little more polished, music and sounds definitely changed a little for the better (nothing major but there were some sounds that seemed super repetitive that I'm not hearing nearly as much now). And yep high scores are no longer just initials, you enter your name! Really neat seeing the new features rolled out for WiFi and BT; look forward to testing those at some point.

#7854 3 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

How are you guys getting the update the website link still doesn't work.

There are two mirrors. USA and EU. I hit the red button that says Download and it starts. I just tried both of them. They both worked.

I'm on Windows 10. I asked me something and I clicked Save File.

It is a huge full install. Takes a long time to download. And put on a USB stick.

#7855 3 years ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

And yep high scores are no longer just initials, you enter your name!

Page B-42 in the manual. High Score Name Length 3 or 11. Default is 11.

Yours went to default with the upload. Was set to 3 before the install.

#7856 3 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

I agree the whole thing is silly. But it seems to be that big of a deal to some people that they go and flag a bunch of honest reviews. Instead of wasting time flagging reviews how about go play some pinball.
One thing I will say is that I do think newcomers rely on this heavily in their decision for purchasing. Same as the average price that is displayed.

I think this is very true about newcomers. When I got involved that’s where I started and tried to build the top 10. Now I’ve sold several of them in search of special games.

Quoted from Pinman502:

Curious to see what others got inside of their collectors edition when I got mine nothing was inside had to get a hold of them to send me out the coin box and power cord and everything else I don’t know if they quite sent me everything that everyone else got inside of theirs definitely did not get no side protectors for the art blades also has anyone else having issues with chipping around the slingshots

I got the side-art protectors with GnR CE but not wonka CE.

#7857 3 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

The infamous ball trough error.
[quoted image]

The trough Optos don’t seem to have enough solder on them.

#7858 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Looks like a bad download. I'd start over. If you used the USA mirror, try the EU mirror.

Thanks, as always, LTG.

tried a 2nd time and now the game isn't sensing my USB drive at all. Game just booting up normally. I am using a Mac but Unebootin appears to be working ok. File takes 15 mins to download from web. But the unebootin process is very fast like 1-2 mins total...is this normal?

#7859 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

.is this normal?

For a full install. No. That is way too fast.

I don't have the fastest DSL, it takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes to download the update. And 25 minutes or so to put on a USB stick.

#7860 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Thanks, as always, LTG.
tried a 2nd time and now the game isn't sensing my USB drive at all. Game just booting up normally. I am using a Mac but Unebootin appears to be working ok. File takes 15 mins to download from web. But the unebootin process is very fast like 1-2 mins total...is this normal?

Reformat your USB drive before running the unetbootin process again if you haven't tried that, and sounds like you have a boot order problem with your motherboard where it's just loading from the hard drive first rather than your USB stick. You'll need a password from JJP to access the BIOS if so.

#7861 3 years ago

Lloyd, turned out to be chrome.. which is odd. Used a different browser and boom it downloads.

#7862 3 years ago

I did the code update last night. Has anyone seen any issues with the Wonkavator VUX melting down?

IMG_20210305_164729 (resized).jpgIMG_20210305_164729 (resized).jpg
#7863 3 years ago

Holy shit

Quoted from happyclan:

I did the code update last night. Has anyone seen any issues with the Wonkavator VUX melting down? [quoted image]

#7864 3 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

I did the code update last night. Has anyone seen any issues with the Wonkavator VUX melting down? [quoted image]

Damn. I was just about to update my machine. I may hold off now...

Thanks for sharing

#7865 3 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Thanks for sharing

There is no indication that it's related to software. I'm running it without issue.

#7866 3 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Lloyd, turned out to be chrome.. which is odd. Used a different browser and boom it downloads.

I had a problem with chome as well. It doesn’t seem to play well with whatever popup tool jjp has on the site when clicking support. I ended up holding the download button until chrome gave an option box. I selected open in new tab..it then started downloading.

#7867 3 years ago

How long is it taking other folks to download the update? Mine is taking 15-20 mins, LTG taking 1 hr 15 mins. Trying to diagnosie where I have an issue updating. thanks.

#7868 3 years ago

Chrome didn’t work for me either. Used Firefox to download and installed

#7869 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Trying to diagnosie where I have an issue updating.

Depending on your internet speed and computer speed. You might not have an issue.

#7870 3 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Thanks for sharing

It's *probably* not a software issue but the correlation is concerning. I did play a game after I installed it just to make sure I had my setting close. But I didn't play a ton either. I emailed JJP. They haven't heard of this issue, so I don't want to say one way or another that the software did it. In fact, I'd be pretty shocked. The coil isn't moving now after the plastic melted. Machine is < 3 weeks old, but that goes both ways too! We all know those first couple months are the real certification and testing phase.

I'll let you guys know. Figured it was worth sharing no matter what and apologies if it causes FUD in advance.

Can some seasoned vet tell me why these types of things do happen on coils? I've never had a coil problem so I'm dumberer than usual.

LTG you have any insight O'Guru? Ignore the utility knife hacks at the black plastic--I was trying to free the plunger but gave up.

IMG_20210305_190521 (resized).jpgIMG_20210305_190521 (resized).jpg
#7871 3 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

ltg you have any insight O'Guru?

Bad coil or premature transistor failure.

#7872 3 years ago

That sucks...maybe a locked transistor fried the coil. Hope not and it's just the coil itself. I'm going to hold off on this update for a bit.

#7873 3 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

That sucks...maybe a locked transistor fried the coil. Hope not and it's just the coil itself. I'm going to hold off on this update for a bit.

Locked transistor was going to be my guess too.

You can test that with a meter in ohms mode, game power off. Measure the 2 outer and outer/inner legs of the affected transistor and compare to one of his friends nearby on the driver board.

#7874 3 years ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

That install error is lousy, no ideas but hopefully starting from scratch will fix whatever hiccup happened. I used the USA download link today with no issues (well, don't get me started on the Mac headaches, I spent an hour trying command line crap to get the Mac version of unetbootin to work, apparently there are issues with the latest version of OSX ... I finally gave up, booted up Windows, and was SO easy to do, so zero issues with Windows). Just be sure to give your the image plenty of time to write to your USB; mine stopped at 87% complete for about 15 minutes, then continued, so just be patient (exactly as advised in the JJP directions). And I didn't read all of the forum comments first, but I can confirmed that high score, settings, AND all audit data are completely reset with the install (now it appears my machine has never been played ... good to know this when shopping for any used JJPs in the future that the eyeball test is more important than the # of games played according to the logs). After a couple of plays I have seen subtle differences in the code, seems a little more polished, music and sounds definitely changed a little for the better (nothing major but there were some sounds that seemed super repetitive that I'm not hearing nearly as much now). And yep high scores are no longer just initials, you enter your name! Really neat seeing the new features rolled out for WiFi and BT; look forward to testing those at some point.

Yes the Mac issue for Unetbootin is frustrating......but there's a super easy way to do the update using Mac.

1. download update ISO file
2. click and open ISO file - a new window will open showing the file contents of the image. You will see several folders and files.
3. select all files in that window and drag all to your USB drive (formatted FAT32, blank etc)
4. remove USB and do the update on your machine.
5. Done!! Worked for me on Wonka 1.34, and also recently on a DI LE.

Not sure why JJP don't publish this procedure for Mac users - it works perfectly and is super easy.

#7875 3 years ago
Quoted from swampy:

Yes the Mac issue for Unetbootin is frustrating......but there's a super easy way to do the update using Mac.
2. click and open ISO file - a new window will open showing the file contents of the image. You will see several folders and files.
3. select all files in that window and drag all to your USB drive (formatted FAT32, blank etc)
Not sure why JJP don't publish this procedure for Mac users - it works perfectly and is super easy.

I have another approach that works too, slightly more technical. Open up terminal:

1. diskutil list (note which disk is your USB stick)
2. diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk4 (replace disk4 with your disk)
3. hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o wonka.img Wonka-v01.34.iso (this converts the image format)
4. mv wonka.img.dmg wonka.img (this removes an unwanted extension)
5. sudo dd if=wonka.img of=/dev/rdisk4 bs=1m (replace disk4 with your disk, keep the r)
5. diskutil eject /dev/disk4 (replace disk4 with your disk)

#7876 3 years ago

Thanks all. Just solved the issue using my Mac by using Balena Etcher software to flash to the USB instead of unebooten. Had used this for flashing to SD cards (for GOTG Pro sound mod for any of you here who own one!). Seems like my Mac did not like unebooten! First try using Etcher and it worked! thanks again for the tips. Played a few rounds and no Wonkavator coil issues so far.

#7877 3 years ago
Quoted from swampy:

Haha just saw this after using Etcher! Thanks good to know for the future!

#7878 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Locked transistor was going to be my guess too.
You can test that with a meter in ohms mode, game power off. Measure the 2 outer and outer/inner legs of the affected transistor and compare to one of his friends nearby on the driver board.

Can someone sanity check this.

Looks like Drive 21 is the VUK.
Per the schematic on D-71 I want to test R351 and R343

Do I have that right?

#7879 3 years ago

Setting up CE #476 right now

#7880 3 years ago

CE owners question where are the screws located to attach the collectors plate to the head? They were not in the envelope with the plate and not in the game itself?

#7881 3 years ago

Probably have to contact them to send you them mine was missing quite a few things

#7882 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

How long is it taking other folks to download the update? Mine is taking 15-20 mins, LTG taking 1 hr 15 mins. Trying to diagnosie where I have an issue updating. thanks.

Took me about 15 minutes to download 1.34 (Mac Big Sur, Chrome browser, 100Mbs cable modem that is "ok"). US mirror site. Oh yeah, 16GB USB (some cheapie no-name brand).

#7883 3 years ago
Quoted from swampy:

Wow this Mac solution is SO easy, nice! And also thanks to you guys for the other Mac alternatives, both which also look pretty darned easy. Amazing community on Pinside.

#7884 3 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

Can someone sanity check this.
Looks like Drive 21 is the VUK.
Per the schematic on D-71 I want to test R351 and R343
Do I have that right?

I read Q324 for drive 21.

#7885 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I read Q324 for drive 21.

I'm with you! Thanks. Really appreciate it.

#7886 3 years ago

Anybody else have a weak shooter lane on the manual plunge? Any suggestions it barely makes it up and into the playfield.

#7887 3 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Anybody else have a weak shooter lane on the manual plunge? Any suggestions it barely makes it up and into the playfield.

Mine is like rocket powered, especially after playing GNR which intentionally uses a very light spring.

I'm guessing it's one of these two things:

- Is the shooter tip intact? Sometimes they break or are even missing. No shooter tip, no power.
- When you plunge empty, does the autolauncher "jump?" If so, it's contacting your shooter and robbing power. Loosen the shooter assembly (it's 3 screws) and move it down a bit, and retighten.

#7888 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Mine is like rocket powered, especially after playing GNR which intentionally uses a very light spring.
I'm guessing it's one of these two things:
- Is the shooter tip intact? Sometimes they break or are even missing. No shooter tip, no power.
- When you plunge empty, does the autolauncher "jump?" If so, it's contacting your shooter and robbing power. Loosen the shooter assembly (it's 3 screws) and move it down a bit, and retighten.

Got ya yeah that is what I’m going to check out today man the playfield is tight too for only having side blades as well

#7889 3 years ago

I installed 1.31 by accident,I am sure I had 1.33 in the game,can I just go to 1.34 and skip the delta 1.33

#7890 3 years ago

Since it is a full install yes you can

Quoted from rockrand:

I installed 1.31 by accident,I am sure I had 1.33 in the game,can I just go to 1.34 and skip the delta 1.33

#7891 3 years ago

For anyone having trouble downloading the 1.34 update from the JJP website on Chrome:
1. Right click the 'Download' link
2. Click 'Save link as...'
3. Chrome flags the '.iso' file as dangerous, so you have to make sure to then click the up arrow and 'keep'.

Download speed is perfect for me.
I downloaded the 3.41GB file within 50 seconds on my 600mbps connection just now.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#7892 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I have another approach that works too, slightly more technical. Open up terminal:
1. diskutil list (note which disk is your USB stick)
2. diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk4 (replace disk4 with your disk)
3. hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o wonka.img Wonka-v01.34.iso (this converts the image format)
4. mv wonka.img.dmg wonka.img (this removes an unwanted extension)
5. sudo dd if=wonka.img of=/dev/rdisk4 bs=1m (replace disk4 with your disk, keep the r)
5. diskutil eject /dev/disk4 (replace disk4 with your disk)

Wut?

#7893 3 years ago

Which word didn't you understand?

#7894 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Which word didn't you understand?

All of ‘em! Lol! You computer dudes are on a different level.

#7895 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

All of ‘em! Lol! You computer dudes are on a different level.

Ok I will admit I didn't understand one word of that either lol.

#7896 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

LOL yall are funny, yeah I got stuck trying to do my own command line stuff on my Mac (epic fail), clearly zaphX is operating at a very high level here But his solution is quite elegant and makes total sense when you read the comments he shared for what happens with each step.

#7897 3 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

CE owners question where are the screws located to attach the collectors plate to the head? They were not in the envelope with the plate and not in the game itself?

mine were in a bag in coin box

#7898 3 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I noticed on the JJP website if you click "full install instructions" it then shows you the "latest" full installs but for Wonka it still has 1.31. I almost made the same mistake. You have to go into Wonka downloads specifically to get the right one.

#7899 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Me neither. But thanks for trying! Again, Balena Etcher is free and worked great for me.

#7900 3 years ago

After the GNR code mess, I'm holding off and waiting to see if any bug are found before updating. No need to take another game offline due to buggy code.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,600 (OBO)
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

11,000 (OBO)
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 13,974 posts in this topic. You are on page 158 of 280.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside/page/158?hl=tdavis7965 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.