New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 240130)

Wonka Club - Golden Tickets Inside

By f3honda4me

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 6,804 posts
  • 421 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 hours ago by SBrothers
  • Topic is favorited by 170 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“What edition are you ordering or planning to buy?”

• Standard 114 votes
    27%
  • Limited Edition 220 votes
    53%
  • Collectors Edition 83 votes
    20%

(417 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 996 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20201130_173931 (resized).jpg
20201130_190207 (resized).jpg
WonkavisionStage (resized).jpg
99C7E84E-610D-4CC3-B320-64939C42F945 (resized).jpeg
20201106_190617 (resized).jpg
20201113_172200 (resized).jpg
20201120_145455 (resized).jpg
20201120_145523 (resized).jpg
20201120_145528 (resized).jpg
20201120_145602 (resized).jpg
20201120_145625 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_4392 (resized).jpg
IMG_4393 (resized).jpg
20201120_152251 (resized).jpg
16058481181124171790863582122292 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6804 posts in this topic. You are on page 128 of 137.
#6351 40 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

You mean 8X bonus, playfield (SuperX) goes to 5x.

yea thats what I meant ....

#6352 40 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Yes....I got 830 Wonka bars last week ... with an 8X play field u can get some pretty high bonuses

Wow! haha, thats a lot of Wonka bars!

#6353 40 days ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

From what I remember, that fix is in the beta software that is yet to be released. My memory is pretty crappy though.

This is correct...the "free" super spinner is removed from the beta. In the beta, you have to roll through the right inlane, make a combo shot to the kid multiball shot, then combo again through the spinner for bars in that fashion...makes collecting bars a bit more difficult.

#6354 40 days ago
Quoted from Skipnatty:

This is correct...the "free" super spinner is removed from the beta. In the beta, you have to roll through the right inlane, make a combo shot to the kid multiball shot, then combo again through the spinner for bars in that fashion...makes collecting bars a bit more difficult.

How do you combo from the left flipper to the spinner? Isnt that impossible?

#6355 40 days ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Quoted from Rager170:

Read his reply again...

Right inlane to right flipper
Right flipper to “kid multiball” target/magnet
As ball is released from magnet hit it with the upper left flipper to the super spinner.

#6356 40 days ago

Finally got my game setup today and have been playing it all day. Plays perfectly out of the box.

What a refreshing and surprisingly good game, and I haven’t even started on the rules yet. Feels a bit like a refined Dialed In but with a great theme.

#6357 40 days ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Finally got my game setup today and have been playing it all day. Plays perfectly out of the box.
What a refreshing and surprisingly good game, and I haven’t even started on the rules yet. Feels a bit like a refined Dialed In but with a great theme.

Fantastic. Have fun! Sometimes I forget that is what this stuff is supposed to be about...

#6358 40 days ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Fantastic. Have fun! Sometimes I forget that is what this stuff is supposed to be about...

Thanks pinballomatic . Fun it is.

And when I say “surprisingly good” I mean I don’t know why it took so long for me to get one. Just slipped under the radar for some reason.

#6359 40 days ago
Quoted from cooked71:

And when I say “surprisingly good” I mean I don’t know why it took so long for me to get one. Just slipped under the radar for some reason.

Makes it that much more fun right now if you think about it.

#6360 40 days ago
Quoted from cooked71:

It really is a great game.....aside from the lack of a wizard mode after the 3rd GT I have zero complaints....

#6361 40 days ago
Quoted from cooked71:

We were also surprised by how much we love Wonka! I didn't think anything could displace POTC in my home but here we are at almost 7000 plays against it! We play it every single night. It is awesome how each JJP is different from the others.

My wife has gotten 3 GTs, I have not but I'm getting closer.

It is really cool to have a game for 1.5 years and still love playing it. We still keep uncovering strategy and depth, too.

#6362 40 days ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Exactly.. And I was going to mention the power cable pulling out from the back as well.

On most computer hard drives, you'll find those little tiny jumpers. One of those fits exactly perfect over the 2 pins you need to jump so there's no worry of you touching other pins with a screwdriver while you're in there poking around.

Turn off the game, install the jumper, turn on the game, it resets, pull jumper off while starting up... bam all set.

It's an annoying part of owning a JJP game. I've had to do this 4 times in just a few months on my WOZ RR. You absolutely cannot turn any JJP game off and back on before it fully boots.

You'd think that if they can make a game that you can play with your cell phone and now they're making games that are bluetooth enabled and have 5.1 sound, they could put a damned reset button on the coin door for when this problem inevitably happens. It wouldn't be that difficult.

#6363 39 days ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Finally got my game setup today and have been playing it all day.

Excellent. You have a great game there. Enjoy it. A lot.

LTG : )

#6364 39 days ago
Quoted from d0n:

On most computer hard drives, you'll find those little tiny jumpers. One of those fits exactly perfect over the 2 pins you need to jump so there's no worry of you touching other pins with a screwdriver while you're in there poking around.
Turn off the game, install the jumper, turn on the game, it resets, pull jumper off while starting up... bam all set.
It's an annoying part of owning a JJP game. I've had to do this 4 times in just a few months on my WOZ RR. You absolutely cannot turn any JJP game off and back on before it fully boots.
You'd think that if they can make a game that you can play with your cell phone and now they're making games that are bluetooth enabled and have 5.1 sound, they could put a damned reset button on the coin door for when this problem inevitably happens. It wouldn't be that difficult.

Also make the games with out that loud pop upon start up,what is up with that!i know there is a kit that turns off speaker when the game starts but really!

#6365 39 days ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Also make the games with out that loud pop upon start up,what is up with that!i know there is a kit that turns off speaker when the game starts but really!

I agree thats a little annoying, but its common on all their games

#6366 39 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I agree thats a little annoying, but its common on all their games

Gives harryhoudini something to do

#6367 39 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

It really is a great game.....aside from the lack of a wizard mode after the 3rd GT I have zero complaints....

So as it stands there are mini wizards for 1,2,4 and 5, but not at 3? Weird. Maybe one was taken out due to licensing?

#6368 39 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Yes but the good thing for you is that you are getting a ton of mileage out of this one complaint

#6369 39 days ago
Quoted from cooked71:

So as it stands there are mini wizards for 1,2,4 and 5, but not at 3? Weird. Maybe one was taken out due to licensing?

I'm not aware of the wizard mode for 1, but yes theres wizard modes for 2,4, and 5.... I think JJP just got lazy in their code development, because it makes zero sense....

#6370 39 days ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Yes but the good thing for you is that you are getting a ton of mileage out of this one complaint

I don't know about a ton, but clearly there should be a wizard mode after the third ticket. As u know getting them is not easy so its a bit anti climatic when theres no real reward.

#6371 39 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I'm not aware of the wizard mode for 1, but yes theres wizard modes for 2,4, and 5.... I think JJP just got lazy in their code development, because it makes zero sense....

I think 1 is Oompa Loompa Odyssey.

#6372 39 days ago

I occasionally get kickbacks without the kickback light being lit. Any ideas? Does kickback work when you have the 15s ball save?

#6373 39 days ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I occasionally get kickbacks without the kickback light being lit. Any ideas? Does kickback work when you have the 15s ball save?

Yes it works with ball saver.

#6374 39 days ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Yes it works with ball saver.

Thx. Might actually be handy if the kickback light was lit during the 15s ball save. Would be really helpful In that split second before the ball is about to go down the outlane and you make the decision whether to sacrifice a tilt to save it.

#6375 39 days ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Thx. Might actually be handy if the kickback light was lit during the 15s ball save. Would be really helpful In that split second before the ball is about to go down the outlane and you make the decision whether to sacrifice a tilt to save it.

+1 this!

I thought the same thing. Hope this is addressed in any future code update!

#6376 38 days ago

I'm always amazed when I see players using their tilt allowance as part of their strategy.I guess all those years of shooting targets and nudging gently on Joker's Wild and other EM's taught me not to tilt,even though now it would help sometimes.
You got one and done!

#6377 38 days ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I'm always amazed when I see players using their tilt allowance as part of their strategy.I guess all those years of shooting targets and nudging gently on Joker's Wild and other EM's taught me not to tilt,even though now it would help sometimes.
You got one and done!

I would argue that it's absolutely a part of the game now. I mean, "+1 Tilt Warning" is an award the game gives out.

#6378 38 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I would argue that it's absolutely a part of the game now. I mean, "+1 Tilt Warning" is an award the game gives out.

On GnR I collect it as a mystery award often

#6379 38 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I don't know about a ton, but clearly there should be a wizard mode after the third ticket. As u know getting them is not easy so its a bit anti climatic when theres no real reward.

You get +100 wonka bars and +50 candy jar after GT 3. That's worth quite a bit to your score and score potential. Not lazy programming IMO, just a decision to enable players to take advantage of further scoring strats related to bars and spinner.

#6380 38 days ago
Quoted from Skipnatty:

You get +100 wonka bars and +50 candy jar after GT 3. That's worth quite a bit to your score and score potential. Not lazy programming IMO, just a decision to enable players to take advantage of further scoring strats related to bars and spinner.

BFD.....if u don't have 200+ wonka bars by your third GT than your not playing very well.....I'd much rather have a cool wizard mode I can play and get a bunch of points...listen I love the game, but it was laziness on the programmers part

#6381 38 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

BFD.....if u don't have 200+ wonka bars by your third GT than your not playing very well.....I'd much rather have a cool wizard mode I can play and get a bunch of points...listen I love the game, but it was laziness on the programmers part

Mkay

#6382 38 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I agree that a wizard mode would be better,but I’m not sure we can say the programmers got lazy

#6383 38 days ago

Agree that 3 Golden Tickets is an achievement worthy of a mini Wizard.

But this game is pretty special. Just cracked 2mil. What a game this is. For me it’s JJP’s sleeper hit. I know all you guys already know that, but I’m actually blown away how good it is.

#6384 38 days ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I agree that a wizard mode would be better,but I’m not sure we can say the programmers got lazy

Maybe bad choice of words....ok how about "The programmers ran out of time" ....lets hope they add one at some point....u gotta admit 100 Wonka bars for that achievement is a joke....other than that its a great game

#6385 38 days ago
Quoted from d0n:

Yea seriously, especially with the amount of people who will run into this issue.

And good to know with the jumpers from computers. I have a bunch of old computers here at my office and will grab a couple to bring home. Good tip for sure!

#6386 37 days ago

I wonder if originally the wizard modes were awarded for tickets 2 to 5? ie. the ones you have to actually work for. That first random ticket sometimes comes really early in a game for relatively little effort, but then, the second ticket is so far away, maybe they reordered the modes to what they are today to give more access to the modes to more players? If you got 100 wonka bars for the first randomly awarded golden ticket, that is a much more reasonable sounding reward for the level of ticket, but it would mean far fewer people would see the wonder of Wonka's Office, and we would all be telling each other how wonderful the oompah loompah multiball for ticket 2 was

Still trying for that third (and fourth! and fifth!) ticket myself, but consistently getting in the 4 and 5 millions now. Hoping I can get it before the end of 2020...

#6387 37 days ago
Quoted from slippifishi:

I wonder if originally the wizard modes were awarded for tickets 2 to 5? ie. the ones you have to actually work for. That first random ticket sometimes comes really early in a game for relatively little effort, but then, the second ticket is so far away, maybe they reordered the modes to what they are today to give more access to the modes to more players? If you got 100 wonka bars for the first randomly awarded golden ticket, that is a much more reasonable sounding reward for the level of ticket, but it would mean far fewer people would see the wonder of Wonka's Office, and we would all be telling each other how wonderful the oompah loompah multiball for ticket 2 was
Still trying for that third (and fourth! and fifth!) ticket myself, but consistently getting in the 4 and 5 millions now. Hoping I can get it before the end of 2020...

The first ticket has always been a mystery to me....The fourth ticket is by far the best wizard mode....super secret machine....really fun...only made it there twice

#6388 37 days ago

I still need to read this entire thread (on page 50 so far), so this may have been said. I love the game, and I dig the rules, but they could use some tweaking.

For example, wouldn’t the game be so much better if you were awarded a Golden Ticket for scoring an Oompah Loompah Odyssey Super Jackpot? So as a reward you basically can get to Wonka’s Office? That’s a hard SJP. That’s 11 jackpots! Not only worthy of an award but something special. That puts Wonka’s Office within reach in every game, but still highly unlikely to get to. I’ve played hundreds of games and qualified WO twice, played it once. And I’m a decent player! That’s not enough. Either that or make the first GT award selectable by making a playfield shot before collecting, (WO or OLO) or make one or the other mode random. But I prefer earning it via OLO. It’s an easy choice. It makes sense.

By making this change, you open up the game just a sliver to achieve Golden Tickets. You give the player a better chance to get deeper into the game, and the game a little more breadth. Always a good thing.

Here’s another: if you successfully complete all the Captive Ball Award combo modes, you get a Golden Ticket. These modes are kinda afterthoughts, usually coming when a bunch of other shit is happening. They are low scoring/reward and very low priority. Also low probability. But a Golden Ticket payoff would make them an adrenaline rush.

Getting deep in the game should be more accessible. Not necessarily easier, but more accessible. I think the achievements for Wizard Mode are just too hard, particularly so with the factory set up. The game needs a jolt. The PLAYERS need a break.

Throw us a bone JJP!

This game is obviously terribly misunderstood, because I think it’s one of the most amazing pinball creations I’ve ever seen. With some rule tweaks it could be a true masterpiece.

#6389 37 days ago

What mirror blades fit this game? Are there some nice side blade art people are using? I’m normally a mirror blade guy, but I’m open to suggestions.

#6390 37 days ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

wouldn’t the game be so much better if you were awarded a Golden Ticket for scoring an Oompah Loompah Odyssey Super Jackpot? So as a reward you basically can get to Wonka’s Office? That’s a hard SJP.

I don't think this would make the game better for me. as you said, that's a hard SJP. i have seen WO many many times but only got that SJP once. I'd have more motivation to nail it with the WO reward, but it would also create a roadblock of sorts that would require the player to play more than one odyssey to advance (assuming the SJP is not achieved at first play). I think that would make the odyssey mode more annoying than anything, getting "stuck" there would be a frustration.

I do think there are ways to improve the code, but this wouldn't be one that i'd choose.

#6391 37 days ago
Quoted from brandsilence:

I don't think this would make the game better for me. as you said, that's a hard SJP. i have seen WO many many times but only got that SJP once. I'd have more motivation to nail it with the WO reward, but it would also create a roadblock of sorts that would require the player to play more than one odyssey to advance (assuming the SJP is not achieved at first play). I think that would make the odyssey mode more annoying than anything, getting "stuck" there would be a frustration.
I do think there are ways to improve the code, but this wouldn't be one that i'd choose.

I’m not saying OLO SJP would be the only way to earn the second golden ticket and get to Wonkas Office. I’m saying it would be in addition to all the other ways to earn Golden Tickets. No getting stuck at all.

#6392 37 days ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I’m not saying OLO SJP would be the only way to earn the second golden ticket and get to Wonkas Office. I’m saying it would be in addition to all the other ways to earn Golden Tickets. No getting stuck at all.

i could get behind that for sure - it would definitely increase my motivation to nail the odyssey SJP!

#6393 37 days ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

What mirror blades fit this game? Are there some nice side blade art people are using? I’m normally a mirror blade guy, but I’m open to suggestions.

I would love mirrors for this game, but have had bad luck getting them to fit on the more recent JJP games.

#6394 36 days ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I would love mirrors for this game, but have had bad luck getting them to fit on the more recent JJP games.

Some have, but the play field is really tight. I tried on my game, but zero chance there was enough clearance. I ended up keeping the side art.

#6395 36 days ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I ordered up some mirror blades. Hopefully I can make them work. I’ll find out soon enough. Hoping my game shows up this week. Mirrors are supposed to be here Friday. Could be an awesome weekend!

#6396 36 days ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I have mirrors in mine. It was tight, and getting the bolt out from one of the sides was a massive pain in the ass, but the results are WELL worth it. With this good of a light show, I think art blades are a poor substitute for what mirrors add to this game.

These are the ones I used, if you are interested:

http://www.pinballdecals.com/MirrorBladesPage.html

#6397 36 days ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

What do the four dashed leds indicate by the center ramp (the one you hit with the upper right flipper)?
See pic...the four dashed leds southeast of the wonka bar insert leading towards the ramp.
They seem to illuminate in different patterns throughout the game. Anyone know what they indicate?
[quoted image]

Following up on this...

Anyone have any idea as to what the various light patterns mean for the dashed inserts in front of the camera ramp?

#6398 36 days ago

I was wondering if anyone here has played the new stern avengers pin and can honestly compare it to to the “fun” factor of this pin. Because in the end that is what matters to me most. Only JJP pin I ever played was my buddy’s Wizard of Oz red ruby. It still has the stock light boards , and yes, it has issues. But it is a cool , different pin compared to his other Williams , Bally, Gottlieb, Atari, and Sterns.

I have on order an avengers premium, but getting a little frustrated by the delays in production (pushed back possibly as much as 5 weeks) as well as issues people are having with their Stern LEs. If I cancel my order, I’m out $1k, can’t do that, but I can change my order at no extra fee. My wife likes the theme of Willy Wonka and I was thinking of changing to this pin if they have it in stock and Dan muster up the extra cash.

What are your thoughts? I know they are completely different , but the theme for both of these is what my wife likes. I’d like a GNR, but my wife cancelled that idea, course the distributor doesn’t have that title in stock anyway yet.

#6399 36 days ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

I was wondering if anyone here has played the new stern avengers pin and can honestly compare it to to the “fun” factor of this pin. Because in the end that is what matters to me most. Only JJP pin I ever played was my buddy’s Wizard of Oz red ruby. It still has the stock light boards , and yes, it has issues. But it is a cool , different pin compared to his other Williams , Bally, Gottlieb, Atari, and Sterns.
I have on order an avengers premium, but getting a little frustrated by the delays in production (pushed back possibly as much as 5 weeks) as well as issues people are having with their Stern LEs. If I cancel my order, I’m out $1k, can’t do that, but I can change my order at no extra fee. My wife likes the theme of Willy Wonka and I was thinking of changing to this pin if they have it in stock and Dan muster up the extra cash.
What are your thoughts? I know they are completely different , but the theme for both of these is what my wife likes. I’d like a GNR, but my wife cancelled that idea, course the distributor doesn’t have that title in stock anyway yet.

I have played Avengers LE, game shoots like a dream, code and CGI to me are terrible. I don't want to go through a game just battling and collecting crap. I can do that in a video game. Wonka is way better IMO.

#6400 36 days ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

It is well established that I’m a JJP fan, but Wonka has by far exceeded our expectations.

We put 5000 games on an SE then upgraded to a CE which we are almost 7000 games into.

The game is difficult but has made us better players. We are slowly working our way up through the golden ticket goals and absolutely still have interest. We play for at least an hour every day.

YMMV but the return on investment for us on Wonka is great.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherryville, NC
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
There are 6804 posts in this topic. You are on page 128 of 137.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside