IMG_2445 (resized).jpeg
wonka (resized).jpg
ca1d7f7e-8a2b-4029-af32-f724544015c9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5842.jpeg
IMG_5849.jpeg
IMG_5853.jpeg
IMG_7855 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,961 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 280.
#5001 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I've heard you have to connect your capture device to it -after- the game has booted for it to work.

Have you tried it with the avermedia device. I used your instructions for the main LCD and got it working in 5 minutes.

#5002 3 years ago
Quoted from Motorcitypinball:

Have you tried it with the avermedia device. I used your instructions for the main LCD and got it working in 5 minutes.

Nope, I haven’t bothered trying to capture the smaller LCD.

#5003 3 years ago

Thanks to Yelobird for the patience to provide assistance despite the bad period ... fantastic mod.. Thanks for the fast delivery . Top

85433232-24E1-4E77-853C-1CB113F6D189 (resized).jpeg85433232-24E1-4E77-853C-1CB113F6D189 (resized).jpegA8B3B3FA-26C9-440F-A2DD-C88942E9DF9D (resized).jpegA8B3B3FA-26C9-440F-A2DD-C88942E9DF9D (resized).jpegDC833E96-8FFE-4B47-B5F2-7AB40A43B5FF (resized).jpegDC833E96-8FFE-4B47-B5F2-7AB40A43B5FF (resized).jpegE733A606-07EF-4DAB-B861-1787FC7C5D9F (resized).jpegE733A606-07EF-4DAB-B861-1787FC7C5D9F (resized).jpeg
#5004 3 years ago

Everyone,

Willy Wonka LE is the next purchase I want to make. (I have a few games to sell first)
I have not kept up on the whole playfield issues with pooling.
Are there any other concerning issues?
Have the issues been corrected?
Are there certain manufacturing dates I should avoid?

#5005 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeffreyjonesbsme:

Everyone,
Are there certain manufacturing dates I should avoid?

Manufacturing date after October 2019 seems to be when they resolved the chipping around the posts problem.

#5006 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Manufacturing date after October 2019 seems to be when they resolved the chipping around the posts problem.

Agreed. I did a lot of research on these dates before I bought mine in February? After october seems right and mine has no issue made in February.

#5007 3 years ago

My game was built in October and has had no issues.

#5008 3 years ago

How exactly did they solve a paint chipping issue that only happened around the drill holes for posts? It is odd for the playfield to peel in only those areas. I almost got caught up in that clearcoat pooling fiasco but then came to my senses and realized it is not even an issue and bought my Wonka LE after knowing this. The clearcoat wasn't applied incorrectly, the pooling is due to the nuts and screws being tightened onto the playfield, but even then it is not an issue. But the actual paint chipping is another matter. Maybe the overly tightened nuts and screws were so overtightened that they etched through the clear coat and bonded into the actual paint itself from the overtightened pressure, so when a post was lifted, it brought up the paint with it?

#5009 3 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

How exactly did they solve a paint chipping issue that only happened around the drill holes for posts? It is odd for the playfield to peel in only those areas. I almost got caught up in that clearcoat pooling fiasco but then came to my senses and realized it is not even an issue and bought my Wonka LE after knowing this. The clearcoat wasn't applied incorrectly, the pooling is due to the nuts and screws being tightened onto the playfield, but even then it is not an issue. But the actual paint chipping is another matter. Maybe the overly tightened nuts and screws were so overtightened that they etched through the clear coat and bonded into the actual paint itself from the overtightened pressure, so when a post was lifted, it brought up the paint with it?

I was thinking it was them not allowing enough time for the clear coat to dry before putting the posts in..

#5010 3 years ago

Oh boy. Clear coat gate is back. I thought we put this to rest.

#5011 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I was thinking it was them not allowing enough time for the clear coat to dry before putting the posts in..

I just installed a new Mirco Indiana Jones playfield that came out last month. I saw the same pooling happen to the clearcoat on it when I very tightly fastened the washers and screws. It is not even an issue in my opinion. Maybe the paint chipping is from curious people picking at the pooling like it was a scab, and causing the paint to chip off.

#5012 3 years ago

I just installed a new Mirco Indiana Jones playfield that came out last month. I saw the same pooling happen to the clearcoat on it when I very tightly fastened the washers and screws.

So do you feel its an issue with the clear coat not setting right?

#5013 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

So do you feel its an issue with the clear coat not setting right?

The clear coat looked perfect, and he allowed more than enough time for these playfields to dry. When you tighten these posts down, I don't think it is soft clear coat rising above the surface, I think it is the wood and clearcoat compressing beneath the posts, causing it to look like the pooling is raised.

#5014 3 years ago

I just installed a new Mirco Indiana Jones playfield that came out last month. I saw the same pooling happen to the clearcoat on it when I very tightly fastened the washers and screws. It is not even an issue in my opinion. Maybe the paint chipping is from curious people picking at the pooling like it was a scab, and causing the paint to chip off.

I disagree. If it's pooled you'll want to flatten it down, or it will eventually chip on its own. I did not pick at this in any way, all I did was play the game.

To remediate I used the Yelobird playfield iron technique coupled with PinMonk mylar circles to seal, and finally Titan playfield washers. It worked out very well.

IMG_1835 (resized).jpegIMG_1835 (resized).jpegIMG_1837 (resized).jpegIMG_1837 (resized).jpegIMG_1848.jpegIMG_1848.jpeg
#5015 3 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

My game was built in October and has had no issues.

That's been consistent with my experience too, December build Wonka CE with no issues.

#5016 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Agreed. I did a lot of research on these dates before I bought mine in February? After october seems right and mine has no issue made in February.

Wanted to correct myself, My game was built at the end of October I believe. It was the last run before they started building the CE's.. I just remembered when reading zaphX's post above.

#5017 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I disagree. If it's pooled you'll want to flatten it down, or it will eventually chip on its own. I did not pick at this in any way, all I did was play the game.
To remediate I used the yelobird playfield iron technique coupled with vireland mylar circles to seal, and finally Titan playfield washers. It worked out very well.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks bad. I have not read how Jersey Jack has remedied this. I can only think they began to use less torque to tighten the screws down as of October 2019.

#5018 3 years ago

That looks bad. I have not read how Jersey Jack has remedied this. I can only think they began to use less torque to tighten the screws down as of October 2019.

This was an early build machine (July) right in the worst part of clearcoatgate. They have not said how they stopped it (nor do I expect they will) but they did go on record at a conference saying it's fixed.

#5019 3 years ago

Only one ticket .. I still have to understand the rules well but absolutely fascinating game

544B1B0F-3E28-4D2E-B421-2CFCD21E27CB (resized).jpeg544B1B0F-3E28-4D2E-B421-2CFCD21E27CB (resized).jpeg
#5020 3 years ago

Finally joining the JJP club! Interested in getting the interactive Wonkavator mod. Anyone tried this out yet? Wondering if connecting to the coin door is easiest or connecting to the back box is more desirable. Also want to grab the red tunnel pipes for the left ramp return area. AnyOne have issues with it messing with the diverter below it?

#5021 3 years ago
Quoted from TonLoc777:

Finally joining the JJP club! Interested in getting the interactive Wonkavator mod. Anyone tried this out yet? Wondering if connecting to the coin door is easiest or connecting to the back box is more desirable.

I've got mine connected to the coin door. The length of wire and the coupler that comes with it works perfect for that. The only thing that required some work was getting the light sensor situated just right and covering it with a little bit of brown transparent tape to lower the sensitivity since I have pin stadiums adding a lot of extra light that go through the insert to the sensor.

#5022 3 years ago
Quoted from TonLoc777:

Finally joining the JJP club! Interested in getting the interactive Wonkavator mod. Anyone tried this out yet? Wondering if connecting to the coin door is easiest or connecting to the back box is more desirable. Also want to grab the red tunnel pipes for the left ramp return area. AnyOne have issues with it messing with the diverter below it?

No problems with the red tunnel and tubes mod.I did take of the translucent caps that join tunnel pieces.Are you talking about Lermods Wonkavator

#5023 3 years ago

Hey everyone....I’m considering buying a nib Wonka but unsure which model is best for the money. I know the Wonkavator isn’t already on the Standard version but is it worth the extra $2k when it comes to gameplay?

I’m going to put up my MBR SE to help offset the cost....just trying to justify the extra cash for a cool ball lock lol.

And no, unfortunately I haven’t gotten to play a Wonka but once....last year at Pinfest. So don’t crucify me for asking.

Thoughts?

#5024 3 years ago

Standard is best value by far.

I usually go for premium/LE models, but I’ve been having a blast on my standard. Added invisiglass, shaker and hooked’s Interactive RGB strip to the back to brighten up where the LE lock goes.

Figure that was around $500 to upgrade, so it all depends on whether a simple physical ball lock and powder coating is worth $1500 to you.

BTW you can save even more by holding out to find a used standard. That’s the route I went and it has played flawlessly from day 1.

#5025 3 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I usually go for premium/LE models, but I’ve been having a blast on my standard. Added invisiglass, shaker and hooked’s Interactive RGB strip to the back to brighten up where the LE lock goes.
Figure that was around $500 to upgrade, so it all depends on whether a simple physical ball lock and powder coating is worth $1500 to you.
BTW you can save even more by holding out to find a used standard. That’s the route I went and it has played flawlessly from day 1.

That’s what I was thinking. I guess the ball lock for the wonkavator is somewhere else on the standard edition?

#5026 3 years ago
Quoted from DarthFett72:

That’s what I was thinking. I guess the ball lock for the wonkavator is somewhere else on the standard edition?

Its virtual on the standard.

#5027 3 years ago

One thing I like about the virtual lock is you get a few free single ball shots while the multiball intro plays out. Not that I’ve ever come close to beating it haha.

#5028 3 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Great minds think alike!I was lucky my SE came with invisiglass for whatever reason but the shaker motor and Hooked On Pinball’s changing light mod is the best

#5029 3 years ago

I’m looking for a LE. I like the Wonkavator and to me it’s a must have. Just my thoughts.

#5030 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I’m looking for a LE. I like the Wonkavator and to me it’s a must have. Just my thoughts.

Will then go get that LE and have a good time!

#5031 3 years ago
Quoted from DarthFett72:

Hey everyone....I’m considering buying a nib Wonka but unsure which model is best for the money.

I have an LE. SE vs LE:

1) If you like shakers, you will be happy with the way it is implemented in this game. 2)It is a nice powdercoat treatment. 3) The physical wonkavator is cool. I would have been fine with the virtual lock, but after two months of ownership, the wonkavator still feels special. Both the lock and release are fun. Almost like two mechs in one. If/when it breaks, my opinion will change! 4) The LE looks a little better in the left upper playfield. There are some lighting kits that spruce up the SE, but I haven't seen this in person. 5) The volume switch on the coin door is a nice feature.

You can't go wrong with either choice. Great game.

#5032 3 years ago
Quoted from Lrrr:

I have an LE. SE vs LE:
1) If you like shakers, you will be happy with the way it is implemented in this game. 2)It is a nice powdercoat treatment. 3) The physical wonkavator is cool. I would have been fine with the virtual lock, but after two months of ownership, the wonkavator still feels special. Both the lock and release are fun. Almost like two mechs in one. If/when it breaks, my opinion will change! 4) The LE looks a little better in the left upper playfield. There are some lighting kits that spruce up the SE, but I haven't seen this in person. 5) The volume switch on the coin door is a nice feature.
You can't go wrong with either choice. Great game.

I was very surprised at how nice the powder coating is on the LE. Its beautiful!

#5033 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I have a Standard Wonka. I love it. I sometimes wish i had the wonkavator lock, but honestly, the superlock on the SE (virtual), is neat anyways. Its always cool to have one more mech on any machine, but for me it was a bit too much more money than i could justify for a ball lock.

I paid more for my Maiden Premium because of the trap door and lift ramp scoop. to me, that was worth the extra $1200. In wonka's case, the extra $2k for a ball lock and powder coating was just too steep. if it were $1200 more, i probably woulda bought the LE.

Someday, I will hopefully not worry so much about $800, or $2k for that matter. This game rocks anyway you get it.

#5034 3 years ago

Wonka kicks ass at all levels!

#5035 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for your opinion. I’m ready to join the Wonka Club....just gotta sell MB first!

#5036 3 years ago
Quoted from DarthFett72:

Thanks everyone for your opinion. I’m ready to join the Wonka Club....just gotta sell MB first!

I hear you. Just got to sell Congo and Golden Tee Pedestal and I’m in as well.

#5037 3 years ago
Quoted from Spaghetti73:

Mamma mia ...only two words...mamma mia ‍♂️‍♂️‍☠️‍☠️[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How much removal is involved for the playfield protector on Wonka?

#5038 3 years ago

Just had mine delivered today. Super underrated. Love how short the ball times are.

#5039 3 years ago

i have played about 25 games of Wonka std. i really like it (once i figured out what was going on!). wondering if the Wonkavator shot on the LE is problematic at all? does the shot reject often? is the mech reliable?
the reason i am asking is because i feel that the Stern Star Wars Death Star shot on the LE rejects too much and makes the game less fun as it is such an important shot in the rules.
any chance that Wonka LE has similar issues with difficulty making such an important shot?
be safe!

#5040 3 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

i have played about 25 games of Wonka std. i really like it (once i figured out what was going on!). wondering if the Wonkavator shot on the LE is problematic at all? does the shot reject often? is the mech reliable?
the reason i am asking is because i feel that the Stern Star Wars Death Star shot on the LE rejects too much and makes the game less fun as it is such an important shot in the rules.
any chance that Wonka LE has similar issues with difficulty making such an important shot?
be safe!

I've had zero issues with the wonkavator.

The only issues I've had are with the saucer opto (it gets dirty and needs cleaning) and a roller switch issue with the Gobstopper that was easily fixed.

#5041 3 years ago

good to hear Zaph. i had to adjust a micro switch and a spinner. very tempted by Wonka LE. everyone else no probs with the Wonkavator?

#5042 3 years ago

Oh, I also had an issue where the gobble hole stopped spinning, just needed to tighten set screws on a gear to fix that up.

Wonka has been pretty reliable overall, and we put a TON of plays on it.

#5043 3 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

good to hear Zaph. i had to adjust a micro switch and a spinner. very tempted by Wonka LE. everyone else no probs with the Wonkavator?

i have a problem with the ball diverter to the wonkavator testing show diverter wont open all the way only goes half way at best .. any suggestions.. right now playing with virtual locks........

#5044 3 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

Had an LE for 9 months (first LE batch shipped), play a few games about every other day, no mechanical problems yet, including the Wonkavator.

#5045 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Great minds think alike!I was lucky my SE came with invisiglass for whatever reason but the shaker motor and Hooked On Pinball’s changing light mod is the best

I have tried repeatedly to buy Hooked's light mod but the transaction doesn't work on Pinside (the only vendor I've ever had this problem with) and he never lists it on his site. I tried to resolve it directly with the vendor and got nowhere. Since he doesn't seem to want my money, I'm hoping someone else could come up with the same idea (lighting hooked into the system and not just some random string of overpriced white light LEDs). Let me know.

#5046 3 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I have tried repeatedly to buy Hooked's light mod but the transaction doesn't work on Pinside (the only vendor I've ever had this problem with) and he never lists it on his site. I tried to resolve it directly with the vendor and got nowhere. Since he doesn't seem to want my money, I'm hoping someone else could come up with the same idea (lighting hooked into the system and not just some random string of overpriced white light LEDs). Let me know.

Did you try the phone # I pm’d you?

#5047 3 years ago

Zero issues with Wonkavator (7 months)

#5048 3 years ago

A

Remember wonka is a tough pin and the pop bumpers are very dangerous. On the le the ball goes into them much less and you also get alot more chances for the skill shot / award scoop on the le when the Wonkavator catches a ball. That's just one thing the le has over the standard...the array of extra game controlled rgb flashers and lights are a great addition along with the extra spot light in that area. Add in the gorgeous art and powder coated armor and wireforms package with the invisaglass and shaker and it's one of the most beautiful pins I've owned. The headphone and external volume control is a nice touch too. The standard is a great value but if u think wonka may be a keeper (most have that bought one) I'd go for the full amazing package bc jts a really great one.

#5049 3 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

How much removal is involved for the playfield protector on Wonka?

my wife and I installed it. You have to remove the ramps, wonka tv, wonkavator,, sling, flip, some opto here and there but I must say that it was not complicated. wonkavator the hard part. once installed, the left magnet must be adjusted

#5050 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Oh, I also had an issue where the gobble hole stopped spinning, just needed to tighten set screws on a gear to fix that up.
Wonka has been pretty reliable overall, and we put a TON of plays on it.

I don't know if it is a real problem, but often when I throw the right flip towards the gobstopper, even if the ball is thrown perfectly towards the hole, it does not enter ... does it happen to you too? let's say that about half of the perfect shots don't enter , only with the right flip.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 32.99
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 13,961 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 280.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside/page/101 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.