20170604_151402 (resized).jpg
14934872285631823862836 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2017-04-28-18-35-33 (resized).png
Screenshot_2017-04-28-18-35-55 (resized).png
Screenshot_2017-04-28-18-17-04-1 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2017-04-28-14-28-55 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2017-04-28-14-31-27 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2017-04-28-14-32-09 (resized).jpg
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

OK you say "then" check Q5 and not "now" check Q5 so should I check it after I replace Q7?how do I check this one? it appears to be coated without the exposed metal.

20170610_152523_001 (resized).jpg20170610_152523_001 (resized).jpg

#52 6 years ago

When Williams added the aux power supply to system B and later pins they added 8 Tip 36a transistors to the aux power supply. These 8 Tip 36a were used to operate higher voltage and current coils for faster ball speed. These Tips 36 are turned by the TIP 102 on the CPU board. When you look at the manual on page 2 it says Q-7 controls solenoid 14, this is Q-7 on the cpu board. This signal then goes thru the aux power supply (page 92) and to the TIP 36a turning it on which will activate the coil for the cellar. A quick test for a TIP 102 is to check ohms from the metal tab to ground as this is a NPN transistor, low is bad. Now for a TIP 36a transistor which is a PNP you place your DMM in diode test and place the red lead on the center pin and the black lead to each of the outer legs and it should read @.500 on each leg. Page 92 of the manual shows that solenoid 14 is controlled by Q-5. This means that both transistors need to be good for the coil to operate properly.

#53 6 years ago

Q-5 game off L-side .291 R-side .003
Game on but not pushing start both sides 0
safe to assume it's bad so we are looking at replacing transistors Q-7(cpu)Q-5(aux power)and D-16 diode.

#54 6 years ago

YEP!
Also the predriver to Q-7 which is Q-3 a 2n4401 just to be sure.

#55 6 years ago

Parts are ordered

#56 6 years ago

I'm pretty sure I got the right ones.it's kind of funny a few dollars in parts keeps thousands of dollars from working.

Screenshot_2017-06-14-00-53-30-1 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-06-14-00-53-30-1 (resized).png

#57 6 years ago

You can use a TIP 102 instead of the TIP122 as it's 60% stronger.

#58 6 years ago

Also, if you have not ordered yet, get a bunch of 1N4007 diodes and use them anywhere a 1N1001, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 is called for. The 1N4007 part costs about the same and is much stronger than the rest.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Also, if you have not ordered yet, get a bunch of 1N4007 diodes and use them anywhere a 1N1001, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 is called for. The 1N4007 part costs about the same and is much stronger than the rest.

I did order but it's not a big deal to order more

#60 6 years ago

It won't hurt to have a parts stash

1 week later
#61 6 years ago

Well I got a rare day off due to injury and I figured i would go to an electronics store I heard of about an hour away only to deal with a slightly rude and very unhelpful lady.she couldn't even attempt to help me despite having part numbers,voltages,amps written down and Web pages with the pics and info.she handed me a book and said figure it out to which I said nevermind maybe I'll come back when I graduate college.so I tried ordering through Newark as they seem the cheapest but they don't have the axial capacitors.then I tried Great Plains and since there out of kits and some capacitors I pieced it all together with what they had and a couple cheap sound board kits containing a few of the parts I needed only to go to checkout to find they're not accepting orders at the moment due to being to busy.then I tried Marco and holy shit their expensive on these parts but I was going to pay it until I came to an out of stock item so no sense paying high prices and still not having all the parts.I guess I'll try in a couple days and see if Great Plains is caught up.

#62 6 years ago

On the bright side I learned a few things reserching

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Well I got a rare day off due to injury and I figured i would go to an electronics store I heard of about an hour away only to deal with a slightly rude and very unhelpful lady.she couldn't even attempt to help me despite having part numbers,voltages,amps written down and Web pages with the pics and info.she handed me a book and said figure it out to which I said nevermind maybe I'll come back when I graduate college.so I tried ordering through Newark as they seem the cheapest but they don't have the axial capacitors.then I tried Great Plains
and since there out of kits and some capacitors I pieced it all together with what they had and a couple cheap sound board kits containing a few of the parts I needed only to go to checkout to find they're not accepting orders at the moment due to being to busy.then I tried Marco and holy shit their expensive on these parts but I was going to pay it until I came to an out of stock item so no sense paying high prices and still not having all the parts.I guess I'll try in a couple days and see if Great Plains is caught up.

#64 6 years ago

Another place to try is Mouser. Not as cheap as GPE but at least they are accepting orders at the moment.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

I'll try in a couple days and see if Great Plains is caught up.

These are all parts that I keep on hand. I can still take care of this for you if you like.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

These are all parts that I keep on hand. I can still take care of this for you if you like.

I'm going to get them boards off and package them up then send you a private message.

#67 6 years ago

My whirlwind display takes about 3 minutes to come on (non LED display)but the game boots and works normally where should i start to look for the display issues the display is still bright and good when its finally come on

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from gypsycat:

but the game boots

But how long does it take for the blanking led to light?

#69 6 years ago

instantly when switched on also the display worked straight away today it seems if the machine not turned on for days the display takes a little longer to come on (maybe because its winter over here) the game will boot and play as normal regardless if display working or not i've had the pinball for 8-9 years now and had no hardware issues except for a burnt fuse holder on the interconnector board

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from gypsycat:

if the machine not turned on for days the display takes a little longer to come on (maybe because its winter over here)

Sounds like some dry caps taking longer to charge up, most likely the on the power supply.

#71 6 years ago

First day of vacation.first task take off all boards on WW that need fixing and label connectors for easy reference.2nd task take off 5v board on F14.3rd task find a box.

20170703_195136 (resized).jpg20170703_195136 (resized).jpg

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

3rd task find a box

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Are you suggesting the smart move is putting them in separate packages in case they are lost or damaged in transit?

#74 6 years ago

Yes I am. I know the shipping is going to be more expensive, but I have found that a lighter, smaller, well packed box will hold up better to them playing football with it. I would put both P/S in one box with the heat sinks facing outward and the other boards in there own box.

#75 6 years ago

NVRAM is getting installed. Nice!

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

more expensive.

I was warned to not get into this hobby if you don't want to spend money.I had to sell a piece of glass art out of my personal collection recently to help pay for my dogs operation and I bought a hard plastic box called a turtle case and shipped in that.cost around $40 but you could play football with it or toss it off a building.I'm not one to try and save $20 when I have $3000 on the line.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

I bought a hard plastic box called a turtle case and shipped in that.cost around $40

They look very sturdy and should get the job done!
I forget that you must ship fragile items all the time.

1 month later
#78 6 years ago

Grumpy was correct.my br went out on the 5v and caused a transitor to short on my aux power.parts replaced and I am enjoying my game again.Thank you GRUMPY !!!!!!

#79 6 years ago

#80 6 years ago

Thank you for the follow up Puffdanny. Always helps for future troubleshooting.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ww-alphanumeric-display-stopped-working/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.