Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by heni1977
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171210_194504 (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

Ok. So my family wants a boat... just got a house down at the jersey shore.. i prefer to put a pinball in it but my family wants a boat instead.... I'm looking for 23-27' cruiser.. older one.... (not too old like a electromechanical one but more of a 1990s dmd)...I have.an AP, HD-Sega, SP AND of course some $$$.

20171210_194504 (resized).jpg20171210_194504 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Don't do it.

#3 6 years ago

If it floats or f_cks, it will cost you money.

#4 6 years ago

B.O.A.T= boot over another thousand.

#5 6 years ago

Rent or find a friend w/a boat to ride with.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from JimB:

Rent or find a friend w/a boat to ride with.

True, once you buy a boat, "those people" I.E. "Friends" seem to come from everywhere.

#7 6 years ago

Two happiest days in a boat owners life: the day you buy your boat and the day you sell.

#8 6 years ago

They say the best days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. If is a vacation house i would suggest boat rental. If it was your primary home, I would buy.

#9 6 years ago

Ha! Good luck. Boats are money pits

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

If it floats or f_cks, it will cost you money.

how about if it floats , f_cks , or flips ?

#11 6 years ago

I am a boat owner, have been most of my life. My advice: check into the local rental rates first. In many areas you can rent a nice boat for a couple of bills for the day. Load up, have fun, and hand over the keys when you are done. No payments, insurance, winterizing, summerizing, cleaning, waxing, or repairing.

If you decide to buy, double your expected yearly cost estimate.

#12 6 years ago

Just get fish tales and call it good

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Drewblood419:

Just get fish tales and call it good

And a Whitewater. Add Popeye for the trifecta.

#14 6 years ago

Yeah boats are crazy money in maintainence and operating costs. And that’s IF nothing breaks!!! My buddy is super into boats and has a couple pretty nice ones. It blows my mind the amount of money that is required to run, maintain, and fix them. His recent fix was a new outdrive on ONE motor for his twin engine boat. $9000 dollar fix from one weekend outing gone wrong. Some water or something got into the gearbox cause of a bad oil seal. It’s just insane. He regularly spends $5000 or so on normal fixes. But hey....if you can afford it go for it!!! Lol

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

And a Whitewater. Add Popeye for the trifecta.

Agreed. Just get the Popeye and tell them you misunderstood what they wanted.

#16 6 years ago

Do a boat rental club. Pay monthly fee and use them whenever you want.

#17 6 years ago

Get a couple kayaks.

#18 6 years ago

Two happiest days of boat ownership - the day you buy and the day you sell.

Went through the same process when we bought our vacation house. We are 2 min from a lake in N GA, not on the lake (If we were on the lake, we would have a boat). We can rent a ski boat 6 times a year just for the cost of the slip rental alone. It was a slam dunk decision for us - no insurance, no maintenance, and someone else cleans the boat.

Are you on the water? If not, then the spontaneity fantasy is gone.

Definitely rent the first year. See how often you go to the house - the first year & second is the high water mark. Then see how often you rent a boat.

By the way you will need one pinball machine, just one to get your fix in. I bought a cocktail machine and it worked out perfectly.

#19 6 years ago

"I really need something that requires even more maintenance than pinball"

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

I am a boat owner,

I am a boat owner as well. I have a wakeboard boat though not a cruiser. If you are good at maintaining your own vehicle then learning to do your boat is not so bad. But major fixs will cost you $$$$$. Having a place to store it (inside if possible) is something to consider too. As some boats will hold there value if taken care of. I have seen tons of boat with ripped and torn seats from not being covered. If you just want something for the kids to have fun on just get a decent ski boat and take them tubing and wakeboarding.
    You would also have to consider pulling it in and out of the water. Unless you have a slip rented or live directly on the water. I myself live on a lake and have a dock which makes life a lot easier when it starts to rain its ass off while you are out on the water.
    Yep, a lot of people say that two day thingy, but I am not one of those. I love my boat and taking friends and family out is very enjoyable to me. Plus sending a kid hurling off a tube 8 ft in the air is freaking hilarious.
    If you need more info pm me. I guess i could start a group on it like, watches or cars off topic.

#21 6 years ago

Check our the local boat club. For a monthly fee you have access to a fleet of boats and all you pay for is gas. They store, repair, maintain, and insure it.

You just put gas in it and go!

#22 6 years ago

Totally agree with everything you say heni - but he's on the Jersey Shore. Add salt water, the ocean, and launching a bigger boat.

For me, in the summer there's not a better feeling than walking to the end of the dock, stepping in and starting her up. I don't care what it costs, as it's my favorite place to be, especially late in the day-right before sunset, when everyone else has gone in for the day. My wife and I will watch that big ol' ball of fire melt into the water and idle back to the dock (cocktail in hand).

#23 6 years ago

I suppose it could have been different for me if I had a newer boat and permanent, or even semi permanent docking. Launching and loading every time becomes annoying, and running one with a potential to leave you stranded is even worse. It was fun...for a little while anyway.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

My wife and I will watch that big ol' ball of fire melt into the water and idle back to the dock (cocktail in hand)

Totally cant wait for summer now!!!!!!!!!!! Early morning sesh when no one else is out yet and nothing but glass for days!!!!

#25 6 years ago

Yamaha jetboat owner here, love mine. Cost of ownership is much lower than traditional drives. Salt water requires much more maintenance, esp ensuring boats/PWC sacrificial anode is kept good, salt water corrosion and rubber seals. Man I can't even tell you how not having to worry about, no hydraulics, no standard water pump, low draft. no prop to slice for foot on, great/safe for dogs.

Lastly, I honestly believe you should start with PWC's first, then build up to a boat.

#26 6 years ago

Ill trade you two Jet skis for that TAF.

#27 6 years ago

BOAT

Broke Often...Another Thousand...

Or

Break Out Another Thousand.

I love fishing and rigged up a couple 14foot wood core fiberglass boats with 25hp motors to get me where I want to go on the lakes I fish. Still costs me time and money to run and maintain but not anywhere near what you're looking at. My pal in Florida is part of freedom boat club and loves it! Check them out, although I don't know if they are in your area tho. Good luck!

#28 6 years ago

Solution found: Buy a Fish Tales Pinball, it Includes a boat and is cheaper!

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

"I really need something that requires even more maintenance than pinball"

HA! OMFG

#30 6 years ago

Don’t listen to the haters. Everyone said the same to me when I bought my wakeboard boat. We still love it and use it like crazy. We often ask ourselves what the hell we used to do in the summer!? I really don’t know. I couldn’t live without a boat now. Plus I want my girls to grow up wakeboard, surfing, and fishing.

I maintain my own boat. Used to be a mechanic. Boats don’t depreciate like cars, but they do depreciate. If you’ve got the money, get the boat!

#31 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I found a few boats that have been maintained by original owners...My sis in law - (house on the bay) is 3 mins from my shore house So slip is free... winter storage is on my driveway and I am handy... owned a boat for one season years ago.... figure if I get into it for 5-8 grand...one season use without any repairs is a win. Only surprise you guys pointed out was insurance.. didn't know it was so pricey???

#32 6 years ago

Don't forget sea tow either.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

I bought my wakeboard boat

Same here! I have 2005 air ski natique team edition, we have her loaded down with full ballast and a extra 250 in the center and 150 in the bow. The wake is huge and you hardly even have to try to clear the wake and land in the flats!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtt-my-pinballs-for-a-boat?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.