Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-741.jpg
image-744.jpg
image-624.jpg
image-800.jpg
image-763.jpg
image-187.jpg
image-589.jpg
image-668.jpg
image-854.jpg
image.jpg
image-432.jpg
image-798.jpg
image-913.jpg
image.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I fixed my space issues but still might let this one out of the lineup. I'd prefer a trade to cash.

I have a Hurricane in good (not CQ, HUO, CQ or other such hyperbole) condition and I'd like to trade it for an SWep1 for my RFM. Is that a crazy idea? It makes perfect sense to me.

If you have something in the northeast, let me know.

Thanks!

Lots of pics:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=467E972050203784!680&authkey=!APyATZg_ECWSmqA&ithint=folder%2c.jpg

#2 5 years ago

Bump,,? Should I have this listed as a cheap Hurricane for sale and a wtb: swep1 play field?

image-798.jpg image-432.jpg image.jpg image-913.jpg
#3 5 years ago

Okay. More pics of the hurricane.

image-854.jpg image.jpg image-668.jpg image-589.jpg image-187.jpg image-800.jpg image-763.jpg image-624.jpg image-744.jpg image-741.jpg
#4 5 years ago

Not a crazy idea - just not too many SWE1 kits around.

#5 5 years ago

I'll keep my fingers crossed that something might pop up locally. I'll also entertain offers.

The overview:

The machine is in good shape, though certainly not perfect. The cabinet is very faded and the legs are on way too tight. The cabinet feels structurally sound. The head is sagging (the bottom panel is failing), but I can put L braces in there as a stop gap if you'd like. I got it in 2005 or 2006 and it was on route prior. I spent a long time cleaning it and trying to give it some love. It's been in my home since, though very rarely played (possibly 2-3 years consecutively not even turned on for a stretch there). It has all new rubber rings, rebuilt flippers, and a spare ferris wheel belt (tightening it spared me needing to replace it last time). All the bulbs are incandescent. The boards are immaculate, though I need to track down an occasional reset on start button which has resurfaced (it might be my outlet). The ramps are functional, but the full loop ramp is broken where it connects the wire-form but again, it is serviceable. The plastic above dunk the dummy is broken, but it has a clear lexan protector of the correct shape there. The playfield has some pretty minor wear (particularly near the center clown face, and some almost cracking in the upper right area) I can send more detailed pictures. No one would call this mint, but compared to many similar vintage, non-diamondcoat playfields this thing looks like it just came off the showroom floor. DMD is bright and clear. Oh, and it has lamps wired and installed in the pops, which was not standard.

I'd guess I'd sell this if I can't trade it for a SWep1 PF. My preference is a trade.

Thanks

#6 5 years ago

I'll sell for $1000 as it is now; I can go through the board (and my outlet) with a DMM and deal with the head, but I think it's a better deal as it stands.

Thanks

#9 5 years ago

Wow, nice price! Once again, I wish you were closer.

#10 5 years ago

Thanks. I doubt you'll find a WPC-era pin in nicer shape for less ... Unless it's from someone who inherited it ...or won it in a divorce and wants to spite their Ex.

I have a bad habit of selling machines for prices I'd want to pay myself.

#11 5 years ago

Lots of interest from people far away. Does anyone have a working teleporter?

#12 5 years ago

Great price... Hurricane was the first machine I ever played and the one that got me into pinball.

#13 5 years ago

the board set and dmd is probably worth close to $1000

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Gwaxt72:

the board set and dmd is probably worth close to $1000

There are a lot of examples of parts being worth more than the whole machines. It's kind of a crazy concept, but holds true very often...

#15 5 years ago

Yeah, I thought about breaking it down and selling it for parts, but it seems sad. It's a pretty nice example. The ramps are well above average, the playfield is shiny, and it doesn't solve my space issue.

As a P-ROC'er, I'll admit to considering breaking out the orbital sander to it...

For the parts list relative to value:

Generic parts in it:
Transformer
WPC driver board with flipper relays
WPC cpu
DMD
AV board
Coin door board
Coin door
Speakers/panel
Lockdown bar
Legs
Hinges, rails, etc.
Crappy glass
Poor cabinet

Game specific:
Translight
Spinning disc and motor
Light box
Playfield
Ramps
Lamp boards
Juggler
3 lamp traffic light
Flipper assemblies
VUK, ball popper
2 jets
3 pop bumpers
3 bank drop target
4 standups
Lots of flashers
Topper

Yep, all that and I still can't get $1k...?

Now I know what that clown is laughing about

#16 5 years ago

If you were within a few hours of me, it would've sold two days ago. That's a TON of game for the money.

#18 5 years ago

It's really an underrated pin, I had one for quite a few years and it was a lot of fun. You hardly ever find a Williams DMD in that price range.

I'm not too far away and I'm temped to pick it up again, but I'm already past the one machine too many and don't have any space left. Hope some one takes it, would hate to see a good working game parted out.

#20 5 years ago

Tentatively sold. If you have a SWep1 PF for a reasonable price, speak up

#21 5 years ago

There's a work-around for a saggy head. Drill two pilot holes at the end of the back glass channel into the bottom of the cab. Drive two flat-head course screws into from the top and it'll cinch the edge up to square. I did this on my Whirlwind with great results, and it's invisible to the player. Beats building a new head.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

There's a work-around for a saggy head. Drill two pilot holes at the end of the back glass channel into the bottom of the cab. Drive two flat-head course screws into from the top and it'll cinch the edge up to square. I did this on my Whirlwind with great results, and it's invisible to the player. Beats building a new head.

I'm not envisioning this. Before I throw two L braces on either side: where do these holes go..?

Thanks!

#23 5 years ago

Send me you email and I'll send you pics. I meant the speaker panel U-channel that is mounted to the bottom of the head.

#24 5 years ago

As much as I'd like you to have a seamless local sale I kinda hope you get a bunch of deadbeats that don't show up and you decide to sell the hurricane to me down here in Virginia. Good luck w the sale. Very little good luck. I'm kidding of course

#25 5 years ago

Wow this is a great deal for someone. EP1 kits you can't really even give away. I had 3 different chances to buy at $300 and turned them all down as EP1 sucks bad and wasn't even worthy of sitting under my RFM. here you get a hurricane for one. If I would have bought one, I would have did the trade in a second. Great deal for someone with a EP1 kit. Jump on this while you can.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Wow this is a great deal for someone. EP1 kits you can't really even give away. I had 3 different chances to buy at $300 and turned them all down as EP1 sucks bad and wasn't even worthy of sitting under my RFM. here you get a hurricane for one. If I would have bought one, I would have did the trade in a second. Great deal for someone with a EP1 kit. Jump on this while you can.

Most of the time you are a pretty smart guy. Sometimes, you aren't.

#27 5 years ago

Sale fell through and this was after spending a few hours yesterday preparing for the pick up today. Good news on my end is that I spent a few more hours this morning and the new pin is sitting happily next to the hurricane. I'll hold onto the machine until I get it in better shape (fix the head, etc).

I'm still looking for a swep1 kit and if I could find one for $300 I'd be all over it! Around here I've only seen them for $1k, but they've all also been HUO with box...

Thanks

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Most of the time you are a pretty smart guy. Sometimes, you aren't.

I am a smart guy. Smart enough to know EP1 is a terrible game and not worth $300 to install in a RFM. Why on earth would anyone sacrifice a footprint for this POS game, I have no idea.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I am a smart guy. Smart enough to know EP1 is a terrible game and not worth $300 to install in a RFM. Why on earth would anyone sacrifice a footprint for this POS game, I have no idea.

There's no sacrifice of footprint if you store it under a couple other pins. How much Star Wars Episode 1 have you actually played? It's not the most brilliant game, but it's not absolute rubbish; I like it a fair bit. If you have a Revenge From Mars and don't have space to add more pins, it's almost senseless to NOT seek out an Episode 1 kit.

#30 5 years ago

for something that isn't worth the time to attempt to mess up my prism card swapping roms. It's not worth the risk. Most system failures are due to playfield swaps. RFM is just fine for me and EP1 is not worth the money, nor space, nor risk.

#31 5 years ago

Well, I can help you out there: buy one of those $300 PF's and I'll buy it from you for $400. Easy

See, no need to argue in here

Certainly swep1 isn't a top 10 machine, (I found it pretty easy on location) but it's good fun and provides some variety when you've played your fill of RFM.

I'm sure the swap isn't as easy as the P3, say, but it's easier than lugging a machine out of the basement and lugging a new one down.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Well, I can help you out there: buy one of those $300 PF's and I'll buy it from you for $400. Easy
See, no need to argue in here
Certainly swep1 isn't a top 10 machine, (I found it pretty easy on location) but it's good fun and provides some variety when you've played your fill of RFM.
I'm sure the swap isn't as easy as the P3, say, but it's easier than lugging a machine out of the basement and lugging a new one down.

I do the swap-out in 5 minutes. SWEP1 isn't a great game... but it's good. It gets put in my RFM 4 times a year for a couple of weeks at a time...

#33 5 years ago

you must be using nucore or have another set of daughter boards, otherwise there is no way your pulling that off in 5 min.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you must be using nucore or have another set of daughter boards, otherwise there is no way your pulling that off in 5 min.

I have a secondary prism/daughter card and the lock when lit shooter rod/shooter button combo. I also have the SWEP1 translite on it's own glass and trim, ready to swap in.

5 minutes is probably conservative. I bet It can be done much faster, really.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

for something that isn't worth the time to attempt to mess up my prism card swapping roms. It's not worth the risk. Most system failures are due to playfield swaps. RFM is just fine for me and EP1 is not worth the money, nor space, nor risk.

It may not be worth the "risk" TO YOU, but it is not a horrid game. Yes, there is too much Jar Jar. It is a little stop and go (RFM is also). But it is also the single most played machine when I have non pinball collectors over. It is a $1k game. Nice flowing ramp shots, a magnets rollover targets, all the John Popadiuk standards.

Just because you don't like a game does not mean others can't enjoy it. We get it. you hare SWE1. I hate Twilight Zone, but I don't convince others they should dislike it as well. They can make their own decisions.

Chris

#36 5 years ago

I don't care if others enjoy it. I'm just saying getting the hurricane for a kit is a screaming deal for someone with a kit. The theme kills it for me more than anything and the very very heavy "shoot the middle...now shoot the middle again....ooops shot a loop. Accident. Shoot the middle." rules.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside