Topic Stats

• 1,706 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SuperPinball
  • Topic is favorited by 105 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 83 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-218.jpg
image-922.jpg
image.jpg
IMAG2871.jpg
20131215_194307.jpg
image.jpg
147517.gif
i-bZQNnNw-XL.jpg
IMG_1572.JPG
Capture.PNG
20131011_013235.jpg
Backlash.jpg
i-fJpTQDf-XL.jpg
image.jpg
i-sxWZbFB-L.jpg
Stuck-mud.jpg

There are 1706 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 35.
#251 7 years ago

Put me on the list also. I'd love to get one of these.

#252 7 years ago

Hello!

I think the fiber optic mod looks great! As such, please add me to the list to buy when the mod is ready! Great work on the mod!

Thanks for all the hard work in making such a great mod!

#253 7 years ago

Please put me on the list also

#254 7 years ago

sign me up as well.

#255 7 years ago

If there is a list, throw me on there, too. Any beta testers get the updated board and have feedback?

#256 7 years ago

The updated board should arrive in about a week (hopefully). A small delay, but it's coming....
Once we receive it expect some news for sure.

Quoted from treborlicec:

If there is a list, throw me on there, too. Any beta testers get the updated board and have feedback?

#257 7 years ago

Put me on the list also. Looks great!

#258 7 years ago

Thanks for the support everybody. Even though things have been quiet and slow there is significant progress being made behind the scenes. I hope to be shipping new boards (which may actually be the last beta revision this time, really*) to the testers as soon as I get some parts from Mouser.

There isn't a list, but if you've posted in this thread, emailed or PMed me I'll be sure to let you know when anything is available.

* If anyone is interested in boring details the clock signal from the CPU to the driver board needed to be inverted so we would have the right edge to trigger the buffers within the window the data was valid.

#259 7 years ago

Def interested too ))
Looking forward to seeing this, and down the line for other pins too

#260 7 years ago

TRON on order from the upcoming batch...would be in when ready. Awesome work so far!

#261 7 years ago

I am in, let me know

#263 7 years ago

This mod played heavily into my decision to order a Tron from the new batch. Looking forward to the progress.....

#264 7 years ago

I'm sure I already stated this WAY earlier in the thread, but I'll buy a kit when it's available, regardless of whether or not I have a Tron yet.

#265 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

This mod played heavily into my decision to order a Tron from the new batch. Looking forward to the progress.....

Me too. And Gem and Quorra are hot.

#266 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

This mod played heavily into my decision to order a Tron from the new batch.

+1

#267 7 years ago

Just adding the EL wire was a big improvement to my Tron... Looking forward to seeing how this shakes out.

#268 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Just adding the EL wire was a big improvement to my Tron... Looking forward to seeing how this shakes out.

Come by my shop if you want to see the 1st generation. It's super-cool!
Hopefully I'll have the updated one from Eli soon and we can play-test it

#269 7 years ago

count me in.

#270 7 years ago

I've been following this thread closely. I'm in... at the right price. I have the EL wire now and am very happy with it, so depending on the $$, this may go in the Buy It Now category.

#271 7 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I have the EL wire now and am very happy with it

You have the EL wire w/ just solid colors? What are you using to light them? Just curious.

#272 7 years ago
Quoted from Benaar:

You have the EL wire w/ just solid colors? What are you using to light them? Just curious.

Power right from the service outlet is the usual method.

#273 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Power right from the service outlet is the usual method.

Yes, but I was curious as to which lights were being used? LEDs? High power?

#274 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Come by my shop if you want to see the 1st generation. It's super-cool!
Hopefully I'll have the updated one from Eli soon and we can play-test it

Sounds good. Let me know when you get the latest test in. I should have my wheels soon.

#275 7 years ago
Quoted from Benaar:

I followed coasterguy's tutorial to the letter. I plugged the wire into the service outlet but got the infamous 'ghost' scoring.

Instead, I am using a smartstrip inside the cabinet. Tron and the EL wire plug into the strip, and when I turn on Tron, everything lights up normally with no mystery servo problems. Many months now and no problems.

#276 7 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I followed coasterguy's tutorial to the letter.

Oh, silly me… I read "EL Wire" and my brain for some reason thought "Fiber Optic". I'm kind of interested in doing this mod with fiber but using just single colors instead of the color changing. Don't get me wrong, the changing color ramps are COOL, but I do kind of like the single colors (orange & blue) that correspond with the Hallmark Light Cycles.

#277 7 years ago

To me, it's a cheap mod ($80 or so) and a placeholder for the color changing mod, depending on cost.

Looks cool, reversible, and inexpensive.

#278 7 years ago
Quoted from Benaar:

Oh, silly me… I read "EL Wire" and my brain for some reason thought "Fiber Optic". I'm kind of interested in doing this mod with fiber but using just single colors instead of the color changing. Don't get me wrong, the changing color ramps are COOL, but I do kind of like the single colors (orange & blue) that correspond with the Hallmark Light Cycles.

Eli's kit is fully programmable and customizable by the user.

Currently we have programming that allows each mode to have it's own color scheme. I also love the orange/blue combo during the lightcycle multi-ball mode, but it is so cool to have the ramps go all white during ZUSE or all yellow during CLU. Frank has even tried to create an attract mode that mimics the LE.

Once this is done and functioning properly, I think it will work better and likely be more integrated with gameplay than the ramps on the LE.

#279 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Eli's kit is fully programmable and customizable by the user.
Currently we have programming that allows each mode to have it's own color scheme. I also love the orange/blue combo during the lightcycle multi-ball mode, but it is so cool to have the ramps go all white during ZUSE or all yellow during CLU. Frank has even tried to create an attract mode that mimics the LE.
Once this is done and functioning properly, I think it will work better and likely be more integrated with gameplay than the ramps on the LE.

Looking forward to it. Do you think the user could program the colors to cycle with the music at the bonus count like the LE does? I love that part.

#280 7 years ago

I'm seeing more EL wire comments in this thread, so in case there is confusion we are testing fiberoptic ramp lighting (like the original LE lighting), not EL (electroluminescent) lighting.

The fiberoptic tubing is installed on the ramps and the RGB units are mounted under the playfield and connected to the existing extra +12v wire to the right below the coin door. No external power is needed.

There are currently 2 versions of this fiber optic lighting control (same 5mm fiber tubing).
1) programmable color lighting for each or both ramps. If you simply want a stationary color on one ramp or different stationary colors on each ramp this is possible. Or various programmed attract modes bringing different colors to the ramps. You can change it as you see fit (software controlled). This is the first generation board controlled by a teensy arduino that we tested.

2) intelligent color lighting for the ramps. This is the new board that we are testing. It is connected to the cpu board and senses the data to switch the ramp lighting depending on gameplay. This is also programmable like the first generation board, but also much more intelligent. I believe this will be the board that is offered when testing is complete.

Look a few pages back for a video I took recently.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

To me, it's a cheap mod ($80 or so) and a placeholder for the color changing mod, depending on cost.
Looks cool, reversible, and inexpensive.

#281 7 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

To me, it's a cheap mod ($80 or so) and a placeholder for the color changing mod

Yes the day after I installed the fiber optic ramps I sold my "place holder EL ramps."
Fiber optic ramps are just so much better. I totally agree having orange and blue during light cycle is how it should be.
This kit will not be limited to what Stern programmed the LE to do. You don’t even have to stick with the colors the kit comes out with you can customize it.

#282 7 years ago

Any update on the price? Sounds great so far!

#283 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

That is exciting.

#284 7 years ago

What are some of the issues being adressed with the testing group currently, any idea when we will start to see kits available?

#285 7 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

What are some of the issues being adressed with the testing group currently

I have been running the figer optic ramps for 3 months. They work great and I have had no issues at all. The integration board has been in development. This will allow the game the ramp colors and effects to sync with what is happen with the game. Eli has been working on the boards (look at his update in this post) we should have the final version of the board next week.

#286 7 years ago

This has been explained, but to summarize:

Currently the board works and the lighting is amazing. The lighting changes colors when certain solenoids are fired and follows the end of game effects. (we have it set to red/green/yellow for both ramps with this test code - see video on previous page) However, the current board isn't fast enough to read the entire data stream so its not possible to mimic the MODEs in the LE to follow the gameplay.

A new board has been designed and will be fast enough for the cpu reads. Its getting populated with connectors this week and should be in the testers hands soon.

It is unknown what we will find when we begin testing with the new board. Hopefully it will work fine and we can program the conditions we want for the lighting. After that it will be up to Eli to set a package price for the kit (board, RGB units, cables and fiber optic tubing), take orders and start shipping this wonderful mod to the pinball masses. Everyone that has seen this is so impressed by the lighting.

Quoted from Don1:

What are some of the issues being adressed with the testing group currently, any idea when we will start to see kits available?

#287 7 years ago

It's been posted before, but here is a pic of the 1st generation kit.
The 2nd generation will have a 2nd board that mounts in the backbox and connects to this kit.
This is most definitley not at all comparable to EL wire

Check out the last pic with the individual colors on each ramp. I know the colors are flipped, that was corrected in the code, but there's no way that even the LE, with only one color possible at each time, can do this.

IMG_0987.JPG IMG_1019.JPG

#288 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I'm seeing more EL wire comments in this thread, so in case there is confusion we are testing fiberoptic ramp lighting (like the original LE lighting), not EL (electroluminescent) lighting.
The fiberoptic tubing is installed on the ramps and the RGB units are mounted under the playfield and connected to the existing extra +12v wire to the right below the coin door. No external power is needed.
There are currently 2 versions of this fiber optic lighting control (same 5mm fiber tubing).1) programmable color lighting for each or both ramps. If you simply want a stationary color on one ramp or different stationary colors on each ramp this is possible. Or various programmed attract modes bringing different colors to the ramps. You can change it as you see fit (software controlled). This is the first generation board controlled by a teensy arduino that we tested.
2) intelligent color lighting for the ramps. This is the new board that we are testing. It is connected to the cpu board and senses the data to switch the ramp lighting depending on gameplay. This is also programmable like the first generation board, but also much more intelligent. I believe this will be the board that is offered when testing is complete.
Look a few pages back for a video I took recently.

Everything you all are doing is amazing and I am definitely buying a kit when it is released (assuming my TRON arrives alive). It is simlpy astounding to me how well the fiber optic lighting works to display so many vibrant colors on the TRON LE (I especially love the purple color), thus I am very excited to see the same via this mod for the TRON Pro. Very nice job, everyone!

#289 7 years ago

I'm not sure any other mod available can actually increase the desire/value of a machine, but I think this may be the one.

Keep it up!

#290 7 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I'm not sure any other mod available can actually increase the desire/value of a machine, but I think this may be the one.
Keep it up!

I am generally not a fan of mods, but this just seems right. Tron should be here in a couple weeks.

#291 7 years ago

I think this mod will depreciate the value of the LEs.... that light show is what everyone covets. Can't wait.

#292 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I think this mod will depreciate the value of the LEs.... that light show is what everyone covets. Can't wait.

Hmmm. I was thinking about this. I am curious, then, if it might indeed bring down LE value or simply raise the value of the Pro. We shall see, I suppose.

#293 7 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

Hmmm. I was thinking about this. I am curious, then, if it might indeed bring down LE value or simply raise the value of the Pro. We shall see, I suppose.

Either way there will be a lot more people enjoying their Tron Pro’s!
It just makes it more fun to play and looks really cool doing it.

#294 7 years ago

My biggest fear in life is Eli getting hit by a bus before finishing this awesome mod. Stay safe, my friend.

#295 7 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

They mostly answer questions on the boards so I don't have to.

Actually they've been invaluable as helpers since I don't own a TRON. They answer questions, help debug issues with the hardware and software and have done all the research on physically installing the things. The last issue was with the timing of signals to the driver board which ended up being significantly faster than I had thought, but that seems to be resolved in the latest revision. It meant that I never had an accurate copy of the lamp matrix before Monday night.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

Any update on the price? Sounds great so far!

I wish I could say they were going to be cheap, but the component parts are quite expensive and the design is fairly complex as well. I'm working with an experienced pinball vendor to try and optimize stuff, but my guess is still the $400 neighborhood. Not cheap, even if I can get it down some, but I guess still a huge savings off an LE - and the board will have a few extra outputs which could be used for integrating your other mods if you like to tinker.

#296 7 years ago

Considering the PIG is like 100$, that's some pretty useful added functionality in there.

*Edit* For the record, I don't know how the hell you're pulling this off without a game to test it on yourself. That's just bonkers. People here should band together to buy you a machine like was done for Robin, because that's CRAP!

#297 7 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

but my guess is still the $400 neighborhood. Not cheap, even if I can get it down some, but I guess still a huge savings off an LE

Your guess is correct Eli, the overall difference by the time I get a Tron Pro or LE in my basement up here in Canada is close to $4,000. What you've been working on looks amazing and to me it was an easy decision to go with one of the new Tron Pro 2Ds and then add in your ramp mod when it's ready to roll.

To me $400 is a bargain considering the time and effort everyone has put into it and what it's going to do. Sign me up!

Steve

#298 7 years ago

Thanks for the great updates, can't tell you how badly I am looking forward to this Now to go back up and read all of this again so I can savor the coming treat!

#299 7 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

To me $400 is a bargain considering the time and effort everyone has put into it and what it's going to do.

+1, still on board. =)

#300 7 years ago

This looks amazing...put me down on the list..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Machine - For Sale
Bolton, CT
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 1706 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 35.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside