IMG_1572.JPG
Capture.PNG
20131011_013235.jpg
Backlash.jpg
i-fJpTQDf-XL.jpg
image.jpg
i-sxWZbFB-L.jpg
Stuck-mud.jpg
There are 1,709 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 35.
#201 11 years ago

bump

#202 11 years ago

Any new progress?

#203 11 years ago

Eli has a newly designed advanced board that is going out to the beta testers this week or next week. I also understand Eli has a new mount for each unit, so you won't need the DIY bracket.
As soon as we receive the new board, one of us will post our findings.

I have been enjoying this lighting for a few weeks and even with just the static attract modes, it's a great enhancement to my favorite game.

Everyone that sees this lighting on my PRO is very impressed, so I am very excited to try this new design. I am sure Eli will chime in if he has additional comments.

#204 11 years ago

Thank you for the update!

#205 11 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Eli has a newly designed advanced board that is going out to the beta testers this week or next week. I also understand Eli has a new mount for each unit, so you won't need the DIY bracket.

You mean I'll have to throw away my beautiful aluminium bar?
Can't wait to test it out. I'm still very curious how this new board interfaces with the game. Should be cool!

#206 11 years ago

patiently awaiting the final product ..... well somewhat patiently

#207 11 years ago

Me too I can't wait... I'm dragging out my restore on Tron hoping these will be ready but it looks like I am going with the EL wire. Since I should be done in week or 2

#208 11 years ago

Not sure why you would go with EL wire if you WANT fiber optic. The fiber optic works great in the PRO if all you want TODAY is programmable lighting that is not controlled by the game. Its certainly better that EL wire. I can't speak for Eli, but if you want it NOW I am sure he could package a version 1 together for you if you don't want to wait for the advanced version.

Quoted from Sc1f1:

Me too I can't wait... I'm dragging out my restore on Tron hoping these will be ready but it looks like I am going with the EL wire. Since I should be done in week or 2

#209 11 years ago

Sorry that did sound like I wanted EL over Fiber... I already have the EL here but I found out about this afterwards. I will use the EL for now until Eli is done then remove them and install the fiber kit.

Working on wiring up lightcycles and other mods to my PIG now

#210 11 years ago

My Blue EL wire is crapping out anyway. So this seems like a better way to go. Cant wait.

#211 11 years ago

When I installed the Fiber kit from Eli I sold my EL wire the very next day.
It is very cool and not limited to both ramps the same color. If you don’t like the colors you can easily change them.

#212 11 years ago

Cool. Will he sell the whole kit fiber controller etc. Or do I have to go buy the fiber somewhere?

#213 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Cool. Will he sell the whole kit fiber controller etc. Or do I have to go buy the fiber somewhere?

I have a beta kit and they came with the fiber and controllers ready to install. Beta testers did their own mounting but Eli will provide mounting brackets in the released kit.

#214 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

He will sell the whole kit, so you will need nothing but what is in the kit. (well, maybe tie wraps to connect the fiber to the ramps )

#215 11 years ago

Thanks guys!
Oh man...gotta have it!!!

#216 11 years ago

Yeah, sorry for the delay everyone. There was a mistake (human error) on the new boards and I'm super slow at rework, plus I had some guests in town and suddenly another 3 weeks have gone by. I've sent out a couple of the new boards for testing this week and I'm trying to get ahead on some of the parts so that when things are actually ready to go I won't have to be doing them one at a time.

#217 11 years ago

Dibs! Man, I can't wait!

#218 11 years ago

This looks incredible - please put me down for a set, providing you can post to the UK that is!!

#219 11 years ago

I have Kimballs kit, was actually the beta tester for him and put the video together for him on my machine, but this kit looks amazing, if reasonable I want this

Chris

#220 11 years ago
Quoted from Profgrif:

I have Kimballs kit, was actually the beta tester for him and put the video together for him on my machine, but this kit looks amazing, if reasonable I want this
Chris

Hey Chris,
This is slightly off topic, but I'm curious. I had Kim's kit as well and never installed it. I sold it to a friend and he is now experiencing tons of interference with his disc optos when the kit is running.
Anything like that happen to you?

#221 11 years ago

It would be awesome if you offered this mod for multiple other pins once you get this all ironed out ecutz.

1 week later
#222 11 years ago

Bump - maybe it is time for a weekly update.... any new progress?

1 week later
#223 11 years ago

Just a brief update about progress, sorry it isn't super exciting while the board work gets done. The microcontroller I'm using wasn't fast enough to keep up with the data that the machine is sending, which has as little as 100ns between state changes. However most of the time there's no data at all, the only issue is getting overwhelmed in those periods it's really busy. The board has been revised with high speed buffers on the data lines which should make it possible to store the data and then read it with the microcontroller at (relatively) leisurely rates during the stretches when nothing new is happening.

Short version is that the boards were revised, there should be new versions for the testers within the next week to 10 days.

Sorry again for the delays, hopefully the final version will be worth the patience. Thanks again to the testers and people helping with board ideas and timing information.

#224 11 years ago

Thanks for the update, still looking forward to this coming out. It will literally be the first mod on my Tron

#225 11 years ago

Awesome...thanks for the update. Can't wait.

#226 11 years ago

You have another sale out here in SoCal when you get these done. They look amazing!

#227 11 years ago

Can't wait Eli!

#228 11 years ago

While we wait, here is a video I shot of the intelligent board for the beta testers and Eli. I've been playing it for 3 weeks and its really cool even in this basic form. Looking forward to the next version with much greater capabilities. Have a peek!

#229 11 years ago

Got a pro coming...will be a buyer of this once completed

#230 11 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

While we wait, here is a video I shot of the intelligent board for the beta testers and Eli. I've been playing it for 3 weeks and its really cool even in this basic form. Looking forward to the next version with much greater capabilities. Have a peek!
» YouTube video

Thanks for the new vid. I'm not gonna pretend I know what the heck Eli has to do to make this work. Still looks a bit chaotic, but getting better. I could not tell if certain switches or game states were making the ramps do anything. One of the coolest things about the LE ramps is the bonus music and ramp light show being in sync. If Eli can get that down on this upgrade, that will seal the deal. Very promising.

#231 11 years ago

The microcontroller I'm using wasn't fast enough to keep up with the data that the machine is sending, which has as little as 100ns between state changes.

Is the data you are reading from J2 and J3 like on the Premium? Or are you reading it elsewhere? Just wondering if anything is being output on those pins on the Pro models?

TRON_wiring.JPGTRON_wiring.JPG

#233 11 years ago
Quoted from iskidoo:

Is the data you are reading from J2 and J3 like on the Premium? Or are you reading it elsewhere? Just wondering if anything is being output on those pins on the Pro models?

No there is none on the Pro. That would have made it to easy.

#234 11 years ago

So, how dangerous is it to drill the ramps for zip ties? I don't really want to spend another 200 plus on LE ramps.

#235 11 years ago

I drilled mine as long as you take your time it is not too bad. It is better than buying new ramps.

#236 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

I drilled mine as long as you take your time it is not too bad. It is better than buying new ramps.

I assume you removed them from the game first?

#237 11 years ago

Yes you need to remove them it gives you a good excuse to clean the back loop.

#238 11 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I assume you removed them from the game first?

I would for sure.

#239 11 years ago

So, how dangerous is it to drill the ramps for zip ties? I don't really want to spend another 200 plus on LE ramps.

Im not a betatester, and I dont have another similar mod...BUT When I got my ramp cliffys I had awesome success actually melting holes with a soldering iron.make a metal guide and melt away.

#240 11 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Im not a betatester, and I dont have another similar mod...BUT When I got my ramp cliffys I had awesome success actually melting holes with a soldering iron.make a metal guide and melt away.

I ended up doing the same and it worked perfect for the ramp protectors. I will do the same when this mod is ready.

#241 11 years ago

I used a dremel on mine. You remove the ramps, mark the holes where you want the ties and zip zip dremel away. I liked the dremel since I had control of area. A soldering iron would work great too. I would not use a drill as they are too large and easy to slip when working on a clear plastic area.

I have the locations marked on a picture, as I am sure the other beta testers also have a pic or two of the locations. Its not hard and took me maybe 1/2 hour tops to drill the ramps and tie wrap the fiber tubing to them.

It was also a good opportunity to clean the back of the playfield - man was it cruddy after only 1500 plays.

#242 11 years ago

Guys,

Why not use these? They come real small and clear. No drilling. They also make tiny closed loop ones for you to ziptie too. No permanent mods. OP can include them in the kit for a few bucks.
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=A10057&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

#243 11 years ago

Eli,

Very cool! I saw this project when you first started it, and it was a bit less ambitious. I hadn't been following your progress, since I don't own a Tron. After pre-ordering yesterday, I was led back to your project, and I was blown away. The pictures and videos look awesome. The work to tie it in with the games modes sounds like it will be great in the final product, and I bet you're having a lot of fun doing it.

It sounds like you have a solution to the data sampling issue, but I think if it were my project, I would have used an FPGA for monitoring the data/address buses rather than a microcontroller. It's just so much information to sort through.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product and installing it in my new Tron once they're both available.

#244 11 years ago

I went this route and did buy the LE ramps. You can definitely drill or melt the holes easily enough... but for me, once I determine a game is a keeper, I like to have some backup parts for the long term. And, if I do sell it one day, the ramps will be sold as well.

Here's a pic of Eli's kit installed on the LE ramps I got from Terry at PBL. The zip-ties should give you a good sense of where the holes are. Note that one ramp is upside down.

And another shot of the final product.

IMG_0969.JPGIMG_0969.JPG IMG_1012.JPGIMG_1012.JPG

#245 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Guys,

Why not use these? They come real small and clear. No drilling. They also make tiny closed loop ones for you to ziptie too. No permanent mods. OP can include them in the kit for a few bucks.
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=A10057&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

That looks worth a shot too. As long as the adhesive is strong enough to last.

#246 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Guys,
Why not use these? They come real small and clear. No drilling. They also make tiny closed loop ones for you to ziptie too. No permanent mods. OP can include them in the kit for a few bucks.http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=A10057&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Hhhmmm. Anyone have pictures of these in action? I'm using the clear tape method now.

#247 11 years ago

Def gotta get this mod looks outstanding

#248 11 years ago

Any news from testers on the new board revision? Has Eli set a price on this sweet mod, yet?

#249 11 years ago

No new board here yet. But Mark will likely be the first to see it.

#250 11 years ago

Sign me up for one also.. VERY interested.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 1,709 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 35.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wthack-tron-pro-near-98501/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.