Topic Stats

• 1,706 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SuperPinball
  • Topic is favorited by 105 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 83 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-218.jpg
image-922.jpg
image.jpg
IMAG2871.jpg
20131215_194307.jpg
image.jpg
147517.gif
i-bZQNnNw-XL.jpg
IMG_1572.JPG
Capture.PNG
20131011_013235.jpg
Backlash.jpg
i-fJpTQDf-XL.jpg
image.jpg
i-sxWZbFB-L.jpg
Stuck-mud.jpg

There are 1706 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 35.
#151 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

just cool color changing

So as of right now it just cycles through the different colors? It looks great!

Eli
My brother is still looking at what we talked about. He said he will let me know in a few days after he does some reserch. I will keep you posted.

#152 7 years ago

Nice video, thanks for sharing! The independent coloring on the ramps was an excellent idea! I assume the board loops through the color sequences or is it random?

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Curious, what colors are displayed on the ramps and in what pattern on this first prototype? Is it selectable, or cycles through a pattern?

It is just doing a sequence of solid colors and a few linear fades. It is pretty trivial to update the code though - simple enough that you could customize it to your own tastes, there's a built in USB port and it uses the Arduino software with a small addition. I'll try to do some more exciting "modes" ASAP.

#154 7 years ago

any PRE orders?

#155 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

I did not capture all the color sequences. But I have to say it very nice playing with the color changing.

Thanks for posting Mark!
I hope it's not too much work to make it somewhat game interactive down the road because this looks fantastic!

I had two different EL wire setups ready to test out and, although they'll look great, they're not even coming out of the box! One is even sound activated and works with the game's audio... but this is just too good to pass up.

#156 7 years ago

Wonder if sound activators can be hooked up to these to help assist in "syncing" them with the music ??

#157 7 years ago

Things have been a bit slow again, but I'm mailing out to two more beta testers tomorrow, and I have a new video. (Still blowing out my camera sensor a bit, but you get the idea.)

This one is for the fans of under cabinet lighting, it shows how having the built in microcontroller means you can do things like synchronize other effects to the ramp lights. At 1:30 you can see the current version of the Sea of Simulation mode, which layers random "lightning" flashes over the base sine wave.

#158 7 years ago

Very nice

#159 7 years ago

That is awesome ecurtz!!

Will you consider doing some custom orders for different pins if you were provided the length needed and colors desired?

#160 7 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

At 1:30 you can see the current version of the Sea of Simulation mode, which layers random "lightning" flashes over the base sine wave.

Cool effect!... maintaining the lighting while flashing over top.

#161 7 years ago

ok, so if you are wondering how the beta test is going, I'll tell you!

So I received my package from Eli and found 2 units, 2 lengths of clear solid fiberoptic tubing and some nice cabling to hook everything up. He even included a razor blade to trim the tubing.

The build is impressive. Aluminum plates, arduino upgradeable board, RGB leds and more heat sinking aluminum all in a professional textured black plastic covering. There are 2 ports for the fiber tubing on each unit. The second unit daisy chains to the first one and receives the signals from the arduino.

I didn't have a set of LE ramps, so I needed to install the tubing on the ramps, and find a way to mount the 2 units under the playfield. I tried several ways, but ultimately ended up with Marks excellent aluminum mount method. Honestly, this is a bit of a hassle to mount, but Eli is in the process of sourcing standoffs which will make the job easier. I also took measurements and notes in order to help the install for the next guy.

First, I removed the ramps from the game and drilled them for the tubing. I didn't have a map of holes to drill, but looked at a few pics and decided the position and number of holes I needed to drill, then I picked up a pack of 4 inch tie wraps and proceeded to mount the tubing. Its not hard at all, but obviously you have to be careful. I used a dremel, since its much easier and quicker.

While the ramps were off, I gave my Tron a good cleaning. Its amazing how fast a new game gets dirty.

Then a stop at the hardware store to pickup some aluminum bar to make the mount. I measured the mounting area and picked an area in line with the tubing that came out from under the playfield. I also picked up some self drilling screws for the mount to the units. The aluminum bar bends easily on the vise and soon I had a U shaped mount made from the flat 3/4 inch x 24inch bar.

Next, I determined the position of the units. The left unit mounts horizontally and the right unit mounts almost 90degrees turned due to the position of the ramps. I aligned everything and marked the mount with a sharpie. Then I drilled the mount and connected the units to the mount with the self drilling screws. I mounted the units and trimmed the fiber tubing to fit the units.

I turned on the game and was greeted with an amazing light show both under the playfield and above! The units give off a multitude of colors, effects, sweeps, etc. Its all programmable via the USB on the left unit, so its really up to your imagination where you can take the lighting. The programs Eli has in the units currently offer a range of colors and effects, including the lighting effect. And yes, I know the drill ... videos or it didn't happen! Well, here you go!

I look forward to further testing with these excellent units and am enjoying the lightshows immensely. I didn't think I could be happier with my Tron, until today.

#162 7 years ago

Awesome, Thanks for the info luvthatapex2

#163 7 years ago

Thanks for the detailed posting. Looks like I have the left and right ramps reversed compared to how you installed them. I'll send you an updated version of the code.

#164 7 years ago

I also took measurements and notes in order to help the install for the next guy.

Looks like I'm the next guy
Just waiting for Eli's other beta unit to arrive but, being in Canada, I probably won't see it until this coming week.

If you have any tips on any tricky bits, feel free to shoot me a PM

Thanks for posting!

#165 7 years ago

ok, I thought the arcade toy with Eli's attract code running was the best TRON mod ever, I think this has it topped. Looks great! Independent ramp lighting looks very cool!

Tron is easily the most modded game in all of pinball...even blowing past AFM. So many awesome things you can do to bling out your machine. Unreal actually.

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Tron is easily the most modded game in all of pinball...even blowing past AFM. So many awesome things you can do to bling out your machine. Unreal actually.

I think TZ still holds that title. There's got to be sometting like a dozen major mods for that pin plus another couple of dozen more minor ones.
Still, nothing as cool as what we're seeing in Tron for sure.

#167 7 years ago

I was going to say I think TZ is will "top"

IMO... TRON > TZ

#168 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I think TZ still holds that title. There's got to be sometting like a dozen major mods for that pin plus another couple of dozen more minor ones.
Still, nothing as cool as what we're seeing in Tron for sure.

Ah, I forgot about TZ completly; yea, lots of mods there. Still, Tron has way flashier things to do to it and new awesome mods keep coming!

#169 7 years ago

Update on the testing:

I've changed a few ramp colors so I will take a better video tonight. There is a built in USB and you hook the unit up to a laptop or other computer and run a freeware program. You can edit the code and update it in a couple of minutes.

There are other options to explore too like the timing of the lamp colors, effects such as flashing, fading, and of course making new "modes" to add interest to the lighting.

Currently Eli has programmed lighting modes that follow the progression of the inserts. Each mode features color(s) and effect(s):
Flynn
Gem
Clu
Zuse
Quorra
Disc
Cycle
Recognizer
Tron
SOS
Portal

You can create your own "mode"

You are going to love this lighting.

#170 7 years ago

Currently Eli has programmed lighting modes that follow the progression of the inserts. Each mode features color(s) and effect(s):
Flynn
Gem
Clu
Zuse
Quorra
Disc
Cycle
Recognizer
Tron
SOS
Portal

and these activate when the mode activates? Or just rotate for now?

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

that follow the progression of the inserts. Each mode features color(s) and effect(s):

I would guess its following the modes. Thats great! I would also program them to flash with the flashers if that is pos.

#172 7 years ago

and these activate when the mode activates? Or just rotate for now?

For now the beta units just cycle through each mode in sequence and are not linked to the game yet.
I believe Eli is working on this part next.

For now, we are able to go into the code and customize the colors for each mode and even add a completely different mode. Not sure how that last part works exactly? maybe you can program a custom color combo when you hit a 3 way combo or collect a super jackpot?

When will my Beta unit arrive???
Damn international mail

#173 7 years ago

Tracking says it is at your post office as of 10AM...

Yeah, this version only cycles the different displays, it is totally ignorant of what might be happening in the game. I did get a PIG, which will let the basic version at least react to ramps or flashers (or whatever you want to hook the PIG to), and that's the next demo to work on as soon as I finish revising the board for the advanced version (there were "issues".)

#174 7 years ago

Looking forward to the ramp lighting reacting to the ramps and flashers. That would be the next level of excitement for sure!

Quoted from ecurtz:

Yeah, this version only cycles the different displays, it is totally ignorant of what might be happening in the game. I did get a PIG, which will let the basic version at least react to ramps or flashers (or whatever you want to hook the PIG to), and that's the next demo to work on as soon as I finish revising the board for the advanced version (there were "issues".)

#175 7 years ago

This is freaking AWESOME, I can't wait

#176 7 years ago

Don't expect miracles from the PIG integration, since it's only 4 inputs, but that's 4 more than we currently have.

#177 7 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

I did get a PIG, which will let the basic version at least react to ramps or flashers (or whatever you want to hook the PIG to)

Sweet!
Thanks for the tracking update. Might be here today!

My PIG is flying in as we speak. I had originally purchased it to play around with the other mods and maybe some EL wire before this mod showed up.
One quick question though. I have a 4-way splitter to my 12v supply and eventualy wont be plugging your unit into the PIG once it's "smart". Are there any issues with your device sharing the 12v power output via a splitter with the PIG and other mods?

I know the PIG is also supposed to offer Arduino support, but I have no clue how this works to be honest or if it applies to these boards?

#178 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

One quick question though. I have a 4-way splitter to my 12v supply and eventualy wont be plugging your unit into the PIG once it's "smart". Are there any issues with your device sharing the 12v power output via a splitter with the PIG and other mods?

I know the PIG is also supposed to offer Arduino support, but I have no clue how this works to be honest or if it applies to these boards?

There are some limitations with power. The "AUX" power from the connector at the coin door is fused for 2 amps. I know 2 amps seems like a lot, but all of those milliamps add up.

The arduino support is really open ended and is meant for advanced users. Basically I added an interface that allows you to decouple the input from the output and insert an arduino in the middle. If you don't know how to program an arduino, then that part of the PIG isn't for you.

(By you, I mean, "whoever". I'm not targeting anyone specifically.)

A bunch of PIGs have been delivered, but I'm getting very little feedback. I'm still biting my nails because it's been tested a lot but the general public hasn't put it through the wringer yet.

#179 7 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

There are some limitations with power. The "AUX" power from the connector at the coin door is fused for 2 amps. I know 2 amps seems like a lot, but all of those milliamps add up.

Thanks Mike,
I'm sure it's impossible for you to answer definitively, but if I was using the 12v source to power the PIG as well as Eli's mod, what's the worst that could happen?

I'll post some results as soon as I get mine, but I just want to make sure I'm not going to be blowing anything up.

Quoted from ecurtz:

It's Heeeeeeeeeeeere!

The beta unit has arrived and I just got my hardware from Home Depot and I'll be installing it this week!

My XM LE just showed up as well! What to do first????

#180 7 years ago

ok, as promised here is another video of the ramp lighting, with lame commentary
These are the modes present currently. At the end of the explanation is some gameplay.
Enjoy

#181 7 years ago

AWESOME !!! Thanks for the video luvthatapex2...

#182 7 years ago

ok, as promised here is another video of the ramp lighting

Awesome dude!

I just installed the tubing on my LE ramps last night and I'm swapping them in this afternoon.
Can't wait to see this live!
I'll be picking your brain soon for sure on working with the colors.

Cool!

EDIT:
My PIG just arrived this morning as well. Eli was thinking ahead and the 12v plug on this fiber optic mod's harness has it's own splitter built in. I'll run the PIG from that and hope for the best. So many mods and so little time

#183 7 years ago

VERY excited about this mod also..... any projection on cost on this thing? Is this going to be a $500+ mod? Any guesses of Fiber costs who knows what.... custom PCB, brackets, and a PIG too? Wowzers. Maybe Stern wasn't too far off in their pricing on the LE after all if it ends up being in that neighborhood...

Crazy impressive stuff here..

#184 7 years ago

Less than $500, even for the advanced model. I haven't absolutely finalized the price, but I'll PM you what I think it will be.

The PIG support is entirely optional. I think everyone would choose the advanced model over the basic model and PIG, but if you already have one installed for your other mods it provides some bonus functionality.

#185 7 years ago

Looks like Eli answered the questions, so as you were gentlemen

#186 7 years ago

That's a good point too, about the PIG being able to do other stuff. I wasn't trying to rag on anything. If I get my hands on a Pro, this will be THE mod I have to have!

#187 7 years ago

I have a pig ordered but it will not be my solution for changing ramp colors.
Advance model all the way for me. The pig will have other duty’s.
When I installed these fiber optic ramps I sold my EL wire the next day.

#188 7 years ago

ok, as promised here is another video of the ramp lighting, with lame commentary These are the modes present currently. At the end of the explanation is some gameplay.Enjoy
» YouTube video

Shows actual progress. Great video!

1 week later
#189 7 years ago

Better late than never.
Finally got the 3rd beta unit installed today. Looks great Eli!

IMG_0987.JPG IMG_1012.JPG IMG_1020.JPG IMG_1027.JPG

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Finally got the 3rd beta unit installed today. Looks great Eli!

Is that under playfield bracket attaching the whole thing to the PF coming with the mod? Or did you do that yourself?

#191 7 years ago

Man that looks good, some beefy hardware too. I can't wait!

#192 7 years ago

Cripes....

SOMEONE BUY MY STAR TREK TNG SO I CAN GET TRON!!

#193 7 years ago

Is that under playfield bracket attaching the whole thing to the PF coming with the mod? Or did you do that yourself?

I was just copying the first installation that Mark did. It does not come with the mod but it's $5 from Home Depot and 15 minutes of your time.
The only thing that would be a major improvement (if using this mount) would be to have the heatsink on the right board rotated 90 degrees so the installation would be identical for both units.
I like this mount as well because it uses exisitng hardware to attach and it gives great clearance and a lot of freedom to work.

#194 7 years ago

Yeah, that bar was just what Mark came up with for mounting since I didn't send the testers any hardware for that. I hope to have a less DIY solution for people in the final version. This does work quite well though, and doesn't require any new screws.

Thanks for posting the pictures Adriano, the combo with the black mirror blades is sweet.

Despite lack of updates I am still working away on the advanced controller. Unfortunately getting custom circuit boards introduces a delay if they have to be revised and this one wasn't right the first time. I'm hoping to get the guys updates within a week or so.

#195 7 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

I'm hoping to get the guys updates within a week or so.

Looking forward to it!

#196 7 years ago

This looks incredible!! Great work!

Take that, LE owners..

- B

#197 7 years ago

My buddy Welby Bergum here in Olympia has a Tron, but I don't know what version it is. It is signed by Gary Stern and a couple of the designers on the translite though. He got this at last years pinball expo in Seattle.

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

My buddy Welby Bergum here in Olympia has a Tron, but I don't know what version it is. It is signed by Gary Stern though.

Think the LE's were signed by Stern under the clearcoat down in the outlanes...

#199 7 years ago

Thanks for the heads up, Ken. I've got a group of good non-local testers at this point so I went back and changed the thread title.

#200 7 years ago

Wow. I've been following this thread since the beginning and am completely psyched for the final product! Put me down for the advanced one, no point having random lighting if you can sync it to the game modes IMHO. Great work!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 1706 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 35.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside