ok, so if you are wondering how the beta test is going, I'll tell you!
So I received my package from Eli and found 2 units, 2 lengths of clear solid fiberoptic tubing and some nice cabling to hook everything up. He even included a razor blade to trim the tubing.
The build is impressive. Aluminum plates, arduino upgradeable board, RGB leds and more heat sinking aluminum all in a professional textured black plastic covering. There are 2 ports for the fiber tubing on each unit. The second unit daisy chains to the first one and receives the signals from the arduino.
I didn't have a set of LE ramps, so I needed to install the tubing on the ramps, and find a way to mount the 2 units under the playfield. I tried several ways, but ultimately ended up with Marks excellent aluminum mount method. Honestly, this is a bit of a hassle to mount, but Eli is in the process of sourcing standoffs which will make the job easier. I also took measurements and notes in order to help the install for the next guy.
First, I removed the ramps from the game and drilled them for the tubing. I didn't have a map of holes to drill, but looked at a few pics and decided the position and number of holes I needed to drill, then I picked up a pack of 4 inch tie wraps and proceeded to mount the tubing. Its not hard at all, but obviously you have to be careful. I used a dremel, since its much easier and quicker.
While the ramps were off, I gave my Tron a good cleaning. Its amazing how fast a new game gets dirty.
Then a stop at the hardware store to pickup some aluminum bar to make the mount. I measured the mounting area and picked an area in line with the tubing that came out from under the playfield. I also picked up some self drilling screws for the mount to the units. The aluminum bar bends easily on the vise and soon I had a U shaped mount made from the flat 3/4 inch x 24inch bar.
Next, I determined the position of the units. The left unit mounts horizontally and the right unit mounts almost 90degrees turned due to the position of the ramps. I aligned everything and marked the mount with a sharpie. Then I drilled the mount and connected the units to the mount with the self drilling screws. I mounted the units and trimmed the fiber tubing to fit the units.
I turned on the game and was greeted with an amazing light show both under the playfield and above! The units give off a multitude of colors, effects, sweeps, etc. Its all programmable via the USB on the left unit, so its really up to your imagination where you can take the lighting. The programs Eli has in the units currently offer a range of colors and effects, including the lighting effect. And yes, I know the drill ... videos or it didn't happen! Well, here you go!
I look forward to further testing with these excellent units and am enjoying the lightshows immensely. I didn't think I could be happier with my Tron, until today.