IMG_1572.JPG
Capture.PNG
20131011_013235.jpg
Backlash.jpg
i-fJpTQDf-XL.jpg
image.jpg
i-sxWZbFB-L.jpg
Stuck-mud.jpg
There are 1,709 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 35.
#1251 10 years ago

And furthermore...why does pinbits say "based on Eli's" blah blah.... how is it their light boards don't require the huge heatsinks and brackets that Eli's did? Are they substantially dimmer or what?

#1252 10 years ago

I think the old heatsinks were overkill, but Eli did mention that the production ones might be slightly dimmer. I'll see if I can find it in my email.

#1253 10 years ago

I'm sure its a miscommunication. Perhaps pinbits got some in and didn't notify Eli. Those that were hitting refresh on the webpage for weeks finally grabbed one. We all knew that pinbits was selling them, but they were waiting on supply. I'm sure more are coming very soon.

Quoted from Frax:

Wow, so Pinbits got some for sale before all the people on this thread even knew about it, and we've been sitting here supporting this for over a year?
AWESOME?

#1254 10 years ago

I'm okay with overkill... I'm not okay with spending 400$ for something that doesn't have the same visual impact... mods of mods incoming, I guess...

#1255 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm not okay with spending 400$ for something that doesn't have the same visual impact

I haven't had any luck finding the comment that I seem to remember, but I would be really surprised if there's any noticeable difference.

#1256 10 years ago

Don't let it get you down.. they're just fiber optic lights fellas.

#1257 10 years ago

As far as I know there have been ~15 "production" kits sold at this point most of which went to people here that I contacted before hand. I have no way of knowing whether the kit on eBay is from one of those Pinsiders, or one of the longtime PinBits costumers who were also asked.

The PinBits lamp board has different LEDs which are slightly less bright, but are also substantially more reliable than the Chinese LEDs on the ones I hand-built (I had a >5% failure rate on those LEDs which is completely unworkable.) My understanding is that these are exactly the same LEDs as in the LE model boards Stern made.

I'm trying to keep things organized and make sure everyone gets their fair chance at a board in the early batches. PinBits is a two person company, and 99% of my interaction is with Martin, and all three of us are really, really busy, so wires do get crossed. Everybody who wants to buy one of these will eventually get one, they aren't being artificially limited, they just take time to produce. Relax and play some pinball.

#1258 10 years ago

Hm..interesting. That's a pretty bad failure rate, especially if they were croaking with those huge heatsinks.

#1259 10 years ago

Hm..interesting. That's a pretty bad failure rate, especially if they were croaking with those huge heatsinks.

#1260 10 years ago

I'm not sure what type of failure Eli was seeing, but on my beta kit, one of the domes/lenses that are on the LEDs popped off during installation. Obviously, this had nothing to do with the heatsink. I was able to glue it back in place, but it would be a huge headache for "production" units.

The production units do not look like they're inferior in any way.

#1261 10 years ago

That was the rate for DOA LEDs or ones where the channels leaked between the colors. I've only had one die on the prototype boards I sent out (but that's still one out of ~60.)

#1262 10 years ago

I know we're all a little testy now and undoubtedly busy, but is there any ETA or estimated build rate on these bad boys now that they are 'in production'?

I know you'll be hesitant to offer anything in public because pinside will crucify you later when/if something changes but I thought I'd ask anyway hehe

#1263 10 years ago

oh and for everyone upset about the ebay auction - real easy solution. DO NOT BUY IT

#1264 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

oh and for everyone upset about the ebay auction - real easy solution. DO NOT BUY IT

IMHO, anyone that buys it is a fool. Is this really the kind of thing that you need so urgently that it's worth paying an extra $400?

#1265 10 years ago

As long as EBay guy doesn't find a buyer that doesn't know better. I've done my part to educate potential buyers.

#1266 10 years ago

1) Please don't gang up on Eli for this. It was our mistake to put up a couple of units on the page. Never expected to see one go to eBay.

2) It isn't practical for us to maintain a pre-order list, nor will we take money ahead of availability.

3) That said, we'll work with Eli to get notice to people with PMs on file. We do have parts for a good bunch of kits in hand, but there's programming, assembly, testing, packaging to do. That takes time. There will be a batch this weekend.

4) We worked with Eli on making the kit more manufacturable, and for a super clean installation. The new LEDs are very similar to the ones that Stern used, and they are plenty bright enough.

#1267 10 years ago

Cool, thanks Pam. After the explanations it makes sense and is understandable. All this anticipation makes us a bit mental sometimes.

#1268 10 years ago

The first productions were offered to the front of the line people with exclusive links. None were sold on pinbits publicly. That included me, who turned down the opportunity to beta-test in favor of being in the front of the line for the production units. Mine is installed and is plenty bright. In time, more will be released, so calm down and just be a little more patient. You have waited a year, will another few weeks kill you? Probably not.

#1269 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm okay with overkill... I'm not okay with spending 400$ for something that doesn't have the same visual impact... mods of mods incoming, I guess...

Speaking as someone who was lucky enough to get one of the prototypes from Eli with the "smaller" light engines I can tell you it doesn't diminish the visual impact one bit. They look awesome. You won't be disappointed & they're so much easier to install.

Just be careful when trimming the fiber optics. Razor blades are sharp.

#1270 10 years ago

Interesting. What sketch are you using for the new kits? Tron_Ramps_r2g (latest from the dev kits) or something different for these kits?

Quoted from PamPinbits:

3) That said, we'll work with Eli to get notice to people with PMs on file. We do have parts for a good bunch of kits in hand, but there's programming, assembly, testing, packaging to do. That takes time. There will be a batch this weekend.

#1271 10 years ago

I would guess the software has to be different than what we're using. Eli was already working on the drag-drop thing back in June. Requiring production boards to be programmed using the Arduino IDE would be a nightmare to support.

#1272 10 years ago
Quoted from PamPinbits:

4) We worked with Eli on making the kit more manufacturable, and for a super clean installation. The new LEDs are very similar to the ones that Stern used, and they are plenty bright enough.

I can attest their kit made installation much simpler than what I saw out there before. Plenty bright enough. The two units can be put directly underneath the playfield making brackets unnecessary.

Please everyone be patient Eli and Pinbits will get them rolling out soon. I know it has been a long journey but we are at the tail end and they are just trying to make sure that everything is the best it can be.

#1273 10 years ago

So would it be wise to say to subscribe to an update via Pinbits to get an email when the kits go from "sold out" to "in stock"?

#1274 10 years ago

I am new to this thread and this mod looks fantastic.

Please put me on list if this is still possible. I will buy this in a heartbeat the second it is available

#1275 10 years ago

Hey Eli, My question would be . If the beta kits LEDs go bad how do we replace them or is there even a replacement. I love the high intensity brightness but now Im worried if they ever go out. ( No problems but kinda got me nervous with that comment)

#1276 10 years ago

Would it be possible to produce more than a handful of kits at a time? If Eli has an unofficial list, it would at least give a rough idea of the number of those interested. I wouldn't assume all of those would be a final sale, but maybe produce 50% of that list so that we all have a fighting chance of getting one in a reasonable time frame.

#1277 10 years ago

I want to thank Eli and everyone else involved in making this happen. There seems to be many many people wanting and waiting for this awesome kit to become available. I do hope I am still on "the list" somewhere but I will wait patiently until the lucky day arrives and I am able to purchase it. Thanks again Eli. You rock dude!

#1278 10 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Hey Eli, My question would be . If the beta kits LEDs go bad how do we replace them or is there even a replacement. I love the high intensity brightness but now Im worried if they ever go out. ( No problems but kinda got me nervous with that comment)

I have a ton of extras - I'll send you a couple when I exchange/update people to the final version of the controller boards.

Quoted from frolic:

Would it be possible to produce more than a handful of kits at a time? If Eli has an unofficial list, it would at least give a rough idea of the number of those interested. I wouldn't assume all of those would be a final sale, but maybe produce 50% of that list so that we all have a fighting chance of getting one in a reasonable time frame.

I think the harnesses are holding everything up. They're looking for a manufacturer that can do a bunch at once for a reasonable cost. Until then they're being hand built and they are pretty complex, so...

#1279 10 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

I think the harnesses are holding everything up. They're looking for a manufacturer that can do a bunch at once for a reasonable cost. Until then they're being hand built and they are pretty complex, so...

Harnesses, ugh! I wish I could point you to someone, but I ended up making all of mine by hand as well. The closest I came to finding someone was through Bill Ung, but I think they would have still been building them by hand; it just wouldn't have been me building them. You might also try talking to Terry at PBL. He contacted a company in Chicago on my behalf, but they chose to no-quote the job.

#1280 10 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

I have a ton of extras - I'll send you a couple when I exchange/update people to the final version of the controller boards.

A++++++++++++ my friend, I really dont think I could feel the same about my game without your kit .

Allen

#1281 10 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

I have seen one of these 15 kits from pinbits installed and played it a ton. it's amazing!! It makes the machine a piece of art, just watching the light show is soothing and stimulating. I will say that no harness is necessary. The units can be mounted directly to the bottom of the Playfield, all the hardware is provided in the kit. Pinbits included quite a bit in the kit. In comparing the pinbits model from Eli with the pre-production test models, it's much more compact and elegant in design and thus easier to mount, there are actually options on where to mount the units. The pinbit's unit look a lot like the finished models under the LE's.

This is the best pinball mod I have ever seen by far!! THANK YOU ELI!!

#1282 10 years ago
Quoted from vtec16:

I will say that no harness is necessary.

Eli was referring to the electrical wiring harnesses.

#1283 10 years ago

if I can wait almost 3 years for my WoZ, another month or two for this kit ain't nuthin'!

Sounds amazing and I'm waiting patiently for that "sold out" to disappear!
Thanks for all involved in making this available!

D

#1284 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Eli was referring to the electrical wiring harnesses.

Ahhhh okay, that makes more sense.

#1285 10 years ago

Here's some evidence that things are moving along. The boards are all programmed and play tested. There's also a (small) pile of harnesses, and about 1/2 a mile of uncut fiber. Each kit takes about an hour to complete assembly, test and pack.

i-fJpTQDf-XL.jpgi-fJpTQDf-XL.jpg

#1286 10 years ago

Payment ready to be sent! Hope I can get it soon

#1287 10 years ago
Quoted from PamPinbits:

Here's some evidence that things are moving along. The boards are all programmed and play tested. There's also a (small) pile of harnesses, and about 1/2 a mile of uncut fiber. Each kit takes about an hour to complete assembly, test and pack.

No need to test mine, just send it out! I really love TRON, like really love it! Will that help me jump the line over everyone?

#1288 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

No need to test mine, just send it out! I really love TRON, like really love it! Will that help me jump the line over everyone?

If you think about it, this mod is actually a lot like a lamp.

#1289 10 years ago

So i'm confused. Is Pinbits going to be the reseller to buy these from? Or will Eli sell them directly?

#1290 10 years ago

Pinbits is the supplier. We worked with Eli to bring the kit to production. Once we get some inventory, it will show on the web site. There are no preorders, but we do have a crude priority system in place and we are shipping.

#1291 10 years ago
Quoted from PamPinbits:

Pinbits is the supplier. We worked with Eli to bring the kit to production. Once we get some inventory, it will show on the web site. There are no preorders, but we do have a crude priority system in place and we are shipping.

How do you get your name put on this "priority system"??

#1292 10 years ago

just indicate in this thread that you want on the list from what we've seen they will then let you know in the order that you got on the list when they have inventory available (ask me how I know )

The wait is almost as painful as the anticipation has been sweet.. so excited !

#1293 10 years ago

I was posting on page FOUR of this thread, Don...where were you posting? Just saying...

#1294 10 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

just indicate in this thread that you want on the list from what we've seen they will then let you know in the order that you got on the list when they have inventory available (ask me how I know )
The wait is almost as painful as the anticipation has been sweet.. so excited !

I PM'd Eli himself four months ago, is that the same as being on the list? Or do you have to PM PAM??

#1295 10 years ago

I'm on page 10 also ten months ago (not so good as page 4). However i can wait. Good to hear pinbits is selling the kit. I need to order some other stuff. It will save me some shipping costs

#1296 10 years ago

I just know that they've been sending out notices to those on the list when they have a few available. That's just from reading the last few pages recently.

I think I asked to be put on the list on page five, maybe six. Frax, are you hoping for a kit still, I thought you had sold your Tron and werent' interested in getting another as it is too easy to get to Portal?

#1297 10 years ago

I did sell Tron, I'm interested in getting one back, and yes, selling it because it was too easy was part of it. The other part was becuase I'd pretty much lost any faith that these kits were going to be available for real. Considering I sold my Tron 6 months ago and still don't have a kit in hand, I can't really say I made a bad decision necessarily. I made bad decisions about what to replace it with. But I've been playing Tron in the arcade again, and it's not the same as playing it at home. It's not nearly as enjoyable frankly. And my kid really REALLY wants it back. We're going to have four pins. My wife has STTNG. I have Future Spa. My older kid wants Jack-Bot (And so do I for that matter), and the little one wants Tron back.

Sounds fair to me.

#1298 10 years ago

Can we not get a list posted here that shows where everybody is on the list? I think it would really answer alot of questions.

#1299 10 years ago

More than fair for sure.

Buying Tron for the youngest puts you firmly in Dad of the Year position

#1300 10 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

More than fair for sure.
Buying Tron for the youngest puts you firmly in Dad of the Year position

Sorry guys! I already hold the Dad of the year position this year (Tron is in route to me)
Better luck next year

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Trade
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,709 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 35.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wthack-tron-pro-near-98501/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.