Topic Stats

• 1,706 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SuperPinball
  • Topic is favorited by 105 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 83 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-218.jpg
image-922.jpg
image.jpg
IMAG2871.jpg
20131215_194307.jpg
image.jpg
147517.gif
i-bZQNnNw-XL.jpg
IMG_1572.JPG
Capture.PNG
20131011_013235.jpg
Backlash.jpg
i-fJpTQDf-XL.jpg
image.jpg
i-sxWZbFB-L.jpg
Stuck-mud.jpg

There are 1706 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 35.
#51 7 years ago

I'm going to have to put you on the game grid...

TRON.png

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

I'm going to have to put you on the game grid...

Attachments TRON.png (62.3 KB, 0 downloads) 2 hours old

LOL!
I love that this mod will be somewhat intelligent. Sounds complicated.... and expensive

Can't wait!!!

#53 7 years ago

Glad i didnt buy all that stuff for the EL wire now. Its killing me thinking this could be available soon....lol.

#54 7 years ago

U just got me excited seeing 1 new on this thread. Just got let down. Was hoping Eli updated it. Btw elwire mod is not expensive only about $80. But I guess it would be a waist when this is done and u have to rip all the el out.

#55 7 years ago

This is looking really promising for Pro owners and financially detrimental for the LE owners.

Sorry for the bump, 6S3NC3.

#56 7 years ago

Scrap! Got me again lol

#57 7 years ago

Now you got me. I will be ripping out some EL wire sometime in the future.
This should be a very cool mod.

#58 7 years ago

Sorry there hasn't been much news, I'm waiting on the samples of the driver carrier boards. Other stuff is starting to arrive though, I should get some more LEDs tomorrow. Here's the WIP of a board to read the lamp states off of the data bus. I hope that it isn't required because it will add to the cost and I also don't want to build them. (EDIT: It would be optional, it's only to try and improve the interaction with the game, the basic version will still do all the regular color changing, it just doesn't know what game mode you're in.)

MCP.png

#59 7 years ago

Wow.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

EDIT: It would be optional, it's only to try and improve the interaction with the game,

Two independent colors controlled by game play. Wow this is going to be very cool.
The possibilities are just endless.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

ecurtz said:EDIT: It would be optional, it's only to try and improve the interaction with the game,
Two independent colors controlled by game play. Wow this is going to be very cool.
The possibilities are just endless.

And I'm sure you can get more than just two colors.... without going pink
Someone had mentioned before that, in addition to a more dedicated orange left and blue right configuration, it would be super cool to have everything go red during disc mutli-ball, just as an example.
If that "option" was added in, I really wonder what this whole mod would cost?

#64 7 years ago

Eli is there a company that you could send the blueprint to and make a few boards once your done?

#65 7 years ago

I am picking up a TRON machine in a few weeks. I would love to get a kit. Put me on the "list" if there is one

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from asnatlas:

Put me on the "list" if there is one []

+1

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Eli is there a company that you could send the blueprint to and make a few boards once your done?

There are places that do that, but I've never had anything produced myself. I'd need to redo the board for surface mount, but that probably wouldn't be too terrible. Seeed Studio http://www.seeedstudio.com/propagate/ is one place that offers this, and I have bought bare boards from them (in fact I just ordered some of the light boards from them as well as from DorkbotPDX.) The boards are designed for the same microcontroller with the idea being you could just move it from the master light board to the back box bus board and reprogram it over usb.

EDIT: S*** just got real...
Supplies.jpg

#69 7 years ago

#70 7 years ago

Looking at the box of parts I can just see all the cool possibilities.
I better get back to work so I can buy these.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

EDIT: S*** just got real...

So.... when you taking pre-orders?

#72 7 years ago

Add me to the list !!

#73 7 years ago

I'm thinking that both the lamp states and switch states will need to be monitored to program the light show. The lamp states alone won't be enough data to start certain animations, or at least for what I have in mind. If you need any assistance let me know. I'll be whatever help I can be, if any. I've got a single 12' fiber strand, a few 3W RGB leds along with finally....a Tron!

#74 7 years ago

Things are getting close. I see this as the most promising Tron Pro lightshow mod.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from Troz:

or at least for what I have in mind.

Let’s hear your color changing ideas.

#76 7 years ago

Looks great - Add me to the list too....

#77 7 years ago

Let’s hear your color changing ideas.

It's not so much that I have unique ideas, it's that I don't think you'd be able to run mode-specific ramp light shows without polling the switch states as well as the lamps. Take for example Light Cycle Multiball. The insert is lit prior to the ball entering the scoop. Once the multiball starts the light goes out. At this point you need to monitor the trough switches to see when 3 balls are in the trough for 4-5 seconds or so to end the Light Cycle Multiball ramp light show.

There's actually much more complexity than that, such as watching the Light Cycle inserts for when jackpots are awarded or if Quorra multiball is stacked, but that should give you the general idea.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from Troz:

There's actually much more complexity than that, such as watching the Light Cycle inserts for when jackpots are awarded or if Quorra multiball is stacked, but that should give you the general idea.

Yes this one is not straight forward.
I was not looking for unique ideas. Just hey this mode would be cool if we used these colors.
We could watch for this etc mode light and this event would say it was done.

It would be great to start kicking around ideas.

#79 7 years ago

Yeah, it would probably end up being simpler if I was willing to hack the ROMs, but I'm not going to do that.

In the meantime, progress marches on.

#80 7 years ago

Just hey this mode would be cool if we used these colors.

Light Cycle Multiball should have one ramp blue and one ramp orange, to match the lightcycles.
I think for Ring Multiball you should go all red, like the light under the ring. That would be cool.

Maybe the lights could mimic the color of the 'completed modes' down the middle of the playfield otherwise.
-yellow for clue
-green for qourra
-light blue for Gem, maybe teal?
-White for Zeus

Then...it can cycle during Portal or Sea of Simution.

These are just ideas, and I have no idea what colors you can achieve with your system. Just a start off point.

1 week later
#81 7 years ago

Any updates ??

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

pinballlooking said:Just hey this mode would be cool if we used these colors.
Light Cycle Multiball should have one ramp blue and one ramp orange, to match the lightcycles.
I think for Ring Multiball you should go all red, like the light under the ring. That would be cool.
Maybe the lights could mimic the color of the 'completed modes' down the middle of the playfield otherwise.
-yellow for clue
-green for qourra
-light blue for Gem, maybe teal?
-White for Zeus
Then...it can cycle during Portal or Sea of Simution.
These are just ideas, and I have no idea what colors you can achieve with your system. Just a start off point.

That color scheme would make it even cooler than the LE IMO!

#83 7 years ago

Sorry, I was really expecting to get circuit boards last week, but they haven't arrived. I cut up a bunch of aluminum to replace the plastic parts in the prototype, but other than that I'm waiting around, just like you. I'll be amazed (and annoyed) if neither the US nor Chinese sourced boards arrive in the next couple of days.

#84 7 years ago

The prototype boards got here Tuesday night! As you can see they aren't assembled. I made the holes in the part footprint for the little driver boards .004" too small for me to attach them with regular pin headers. I have some "swiss" headers which should fit on the way, but if they don't arrive tonight I'll just put one together with wire. (This is why we prototype.)

In better news, the aluminum plates seem pretty workable with my woodworking tools using special blades and bits, so the things are going to be damn sturdy.

Construction.jpg

#85 7 years ago

I am excited to see how this all comes together!

#86 7 years ago

I am glad the parts are here. Very exciting stuff!

#87 7 years ago

Looking good! Cant wait to see the final product in action!! This will get my vote for "BEST pinball mod"!!!!

#88 7 years ago

I HATE waiting for parts.
I made the mistake of sending a bunch of recent orders to a buddy in Rochester to save on shipping/taxes. Now he's had to postpone his drive up to Toronto twice and all my projects are in limbo

Glad you got stuff coming in. I'm super excited to see how this turns out.

#89 7 years ago

Tonight's update - now I need to download the development tools and write some test code to see if it works.

Populated.jpg

#90 7 years ago

GL. Let's make it happin Captain!

#91 7 years ago

Much respect dude. I'm still amazed I know how to turn on a computer

#92 7 years ago

What language are the writing the code in ?

#93 7 years ago

The microcontroller has an Arduino compatibility mode, so either the Arduino scripting language or straight C in Atmel's MPLab software. I'll probably do the basic one in the Arduino environment because that's dirt simple to use, but I don't know if it supports interrupts which the lamp reading one probably needs.

Sorry for the lack of updates, I was at the Seattle show on Saturday and I have freelance stuff I need to do for "real" work today.

#94 7 years ago

Does anyone else feel really dumb???

#95 7 years ago

Heh, the Arduino is a microcontroller (tiny little computer set up to work with other electronic bits) that is really popular with hobby electronics people because it has an easy to use programming environment that you run on your real computer and lots of examples. The board I'm using to control the lights isn't an Arduino, but it is based on the same kind of chip, so they can use the environment with some minor differences.

An interrupt is a special piece of code that you can set based on an input to your chip. So, say you set one up for when a button gets pressed it will stop whatever code was happening immediately (hence the name, "interrupt" the code) and go run that button code. It is dangerous because you have to be very carefully about changing data the originally code was using, but it is the best way to instantly react to something like you need to do when the lamp row changes.

#96 7 years ago

I was just kidding... well, sort of
But, thanks for the deeper explanation anyway.

Why is changing the code dangerous if you're doing it on a chip that is not tied into the game's existing boards... or is it?

#97 7 years ago

Dangerous in the sense of messing up the logic in your other code, not to the pinball.

You could do something like change a variable in the interrupt that was being used as a test in a loop of the main code and turn the loop infinite, or make the result of a test you just passed not match the new world order. It wouldn't be a big deal in this case, but in more complicated programming you can really hose stuff. In some classic video games there is basically an interrupt at the end of each scan line, and if you aren't careful and you try to do too much work in that interrupt you can miss the beginning of your next video line and the display can get out of alignment.

#98 7 years ago

A more basic question, how is the cable going to be fixed onto/into the ramps.......cable ties? Or is there a way to avoid cable ties?

#99 7 years ago

It sounds like people have had good luck attaching EL wire with "glue dots" so that's a possibility, hopefully some early adopters will have feedback on the best way to attach the fiber optics.

Here are some shots of the assembled beta unit. Everything is self contained in the little stack.

Beta_1.jpg Beta_2.jpg

#100 7 years ago

Looks like your making some good progress on this!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 1706 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 35.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside