Topic Stats

• 1,706 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SuperPinball
  • Topic is favorited by 105 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 83 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-218.jpg
image-922.jpg
image.jpg
IMAG2871.jpg
20131215_194307.jpg
image.jpg
147517.gif
i-bZQNnNw-XL.jpg
IMG_1572.JPG
Capture.PNG
20131011_013235.jpg
Backlash.jpg
i-fJpTQDf-XL.jpg
image.jpg
i-sxWZbFB-L.jpg
Stuck-mud.jpg

There are 1706 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 35.
#851 6 years ago

Yes it would. That "someone" is Lyman and he's been asked many times believe me. We never thought we'd see another PRO update, so who knows, maybe someday.

Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Would be cool if someone could intergrate daft punk/end of line multiball in tron pro that would be the icing on the cake for tron.

#852 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Yes it would. That "someone" is Lyman and he's been asked many times believe me. We never thought we'd see another PRO update, so who knows, maybe someday.

I still hold out hope that the folks at pinbits will crack it But I guess from what I've read this is a lot more complicated than what was needed to get the LOTR LE code running on LOTR standard.

#853 6 years ago

The hardware is (slightly) different so the code won't run. You could only do it using something like the P-Roc to recreate the game a la Cactus Canyon Continued or by violating the DMCA and hacking Stern's code to ignore the hardware check and remap the outputs.

#854 6 years ago

Maybe, but I haven't heard a complaint from the 400 LE owners that have their fiber optic lighting mounted with clear zip ties.

I've played an LE and thought it looked pretty low rent with the zip ties. Hey though, to each their own! If it was my machine I'd be thinking of other ways than drilling holes and zip ties though.

#855 6 years ago

First of all, ecurtz, awesome mod! I would like to be put on the list for the final. Second, I have the original mod of EL wire on my Tron and it looks pretty good. I at first installed with tape and it held well and looked pretty good for about a month. It eventually started loosening and hanging down in spots. I drilled the ramps (carefully with a small bit, with the ramps left on the machine) and didn't have any problems. These ramps are tougher than you think. I can't wait for flashing and color changing ramps!

#856 6 years ago

Happy one year WIP birthday!

Tron-Legacy-Birthday-Cake.jpg

#857 6 years ago

I just want to make sure I too am on this list... I want this sooooo bad!!!!

#858 6 years ago

I would also like to join the list!

#859 6 years ago

Hell yeah!!! sign me also up for that El-mod.That's so cool.

#860 6 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Happy one year WIP birthday!

Shouldn't this member be banned as per thread rules? How many negative posts does it take?

#861 6 years ago
Quoted from rockinganker:

Shouldn't this member be banned as per thread rules? How many negative posts does it take?

So many people have him on ignore that his posts go largely unnoticed. He is fully dedicated to the role of being a grade A a-hole though.

#862 6 years ago

I think the posts are funny, lighten up.

#863 6 years ago

Where I come from "WIP" means "work-in-progress"... I thought that's all he meant-- like happy birthday to a difficult work in progress that's taking a long time to wrap up. ? Am I missing something?

#864 6 years ago

The feature I'd most like to steal from this forum is the way people on your ignore list stay that way even when quoted.

#865 6 years ago

Got the ramps tied down, and the wires reversed.. yellow and blue are backwards I know.

image.jpg

#866 6 years ago

You can just swap the 3 pin connectors between the light engines. Or switch it in software, but swapping the cables is probably simpler in the long run.

#867 6 years ago

yea I was lazy, posted the photo and then noticed that it was reversed

#868 6 years ago

Spudgunman,

It's a bit hard to tell from your pic, but it looks like you were able to do a better job than I did getting the fiber to sit a bit straight on the right ramp, near the second switch. It's a tight squeeze, and the nuts actually boogered up the fiber a little bit on mine. Any tips? I still have the left ramp to do.

#869 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Spudgunman,
It's a bit hard to tell from your pic, but it looks like you were able to do a better job than I did getting the fiber to sit a bit straight on the right ramp, near the second switch. It's a tight squeeze, and the nuts actually boogered up the fiber a little bit on mine. Any tips? I still have the left ramp to do.

The shooterlane area near the right outlane has one post in the way of where the fiber would easily flow around the ramp so you might want to mount the fiber closer to the ramp contour. I know i had the same problem with that tight squeeze. The left ramp has nothing in the way, so its straightforward.

#870 6 years ago

Please excuse the loud disc motor and buzzing flippers. I had the glass off for the video.

#871 6 years ago

Now that's a proper video!

#872 6 years ago

That looks awesome! Really just read this thread for the first time, nice work!

#873 6 years ago
Quoted from Troz:

ยป YouTube video
Please excuse the loud disc motor and buzzing flippers. I had the glass off for the video.

**Drooling**

#874 6 years ago

I am curious-- is the behavior of the glowing rails identical to how it is on the LE? Or has it been reverse engineered to be "close" to the same?

I ask because I was kind of comparing some of the behaviors from an LE video on youtube, for example:

When the ball is launched and it falls down the side, the playfield light comes on and the right ramp lights up:

Where as that same thing in the video posted here:

The ramp does not glow...

Post edited by patrick99e99 : auto links broke time start position in videos

#875 6 years ago

It does things similar to the LE, but is not attempting to identically mimic it. There are still some cases where it fails to switch modes and such, but I'm actually looking forward to being able to dig into the code and see if I can help.

#876 6 years ago

It isn't identical, and in fact it is still being revised. The current effects are some combination of trying to duplicate the LE behavior and things that looked good to the original testers. The plan is for some level of customization so you can get them just how you want them.

#877 6 years ago

Put me on the list too. This mod is going to be awesome!

#878 6 years ago

For the guys who have the developer kits, I highly suggest loading the code linked in Eli's instructions. In Troz's video at 10:52, there is some spastic flashing that is due to the code not switching back into attract mode. Mine did it as well, but since I loaded the latest code, it switches properly. It also greatly improves the mode detections while in game. I have to assume that the code that was on at least my board as shipped was an older version.

#879 6 years ago

Interesting, around 8:20 during LCMB he hits quorra to qualify qmb and since a ball is already in the scoop it starts immediately, then he combos the quorra with a gem to get the q sjp.

One thing that stands out is that completed modes won't light the ramps. I'm sure this is the tricky part since the ladder inserts are used to determine when to clear the mode lights.

#880 6 years ago

It's hard for me to catch from the videos in the same way as when I'm actually playing, for those who have tried it out do you find the ramp colors help you know how your progression for a mode(s) is going or do the colored lights come on more as an overall effect and not directly related to mode progression?

For example, if no lights worked on Tron you could still tell for the most part when you start, progress, and complete a mode based on the audio. Do the colored ramps duplicate that?

#881 6 years ago

Certain single shots (such as a shot to a Zuse target or Quorra spinner), but not all (Gem?) attempt to provide feedback. It's not rock solid yet, so sometimes it doesn't show a Quorra shot, etc.

For modes, it only displays the highest ranked active mode, so if you have Zuse and Clu running, they would be lit white, and you wouldn't know from just the ramps that Clu is also running.

Also, it gets pretty tricky to detect the start and end of these modes sometimes, so there are still some bugs, especially at the end of multiball modes.

Still, even with these things, it actually is helpful in letting you know what's going on, and it's only going to get better.

#882 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

For the guys who have the developer kits, I highly suggest loading the code linked in Eli's instructions. In Troz's video at 10:52, there is some spastic flashing that is due to the code not switching back into attract mode. Mine did it as well, but since I loaded the latest code, it switches properly. It also greatly improves the mode detections while in game. I have to assume that the code that was on at least my board as shipped was an older version.

Got a link? The last version we have is 2-11-2013

We should probaby setup a dropbox or google share that updates or alternate versions of the software reside as things get changed.

#883 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Certain single shots (such as a shot to a Zuse target or Quorra spinner), but not all (Gem?) attempt to provide feedback. It's not rock solid yet, so sometimes it doesn't show a Quorra shot, etc.
For modes, it only displays the highest ranked active mode, so if you have Zuse and Clu running, they would be lit white, and you wouldn't know from just the ramps that Clu is also running.
Also, it gets pretty tricky to detect the start and end of these modes sometimes, so there are still some bugs, especially at the end of multiball modes.
Still, even with these things, it actually is helpful in letting you know what's going on, and it's only going to get better.

Right and the highest rank active mode was something we added to mimic the LE. It gets tricky when stacked modes are running. In this case as a mode is completed,the next highest running mode colors show on the ramps. Also, completed modes that are re-run don't light the ramps.

We originally had the ramp lights following stacked modes, so you would know if you are in clu/lightcycle/quorra as the ramps would pulse yellow/yellow-blue/green, but this looked a bit messy, though it was good info to the player as to what modes were running. We've tried lots of options along the way and picked the choices you see now in the software.

#884 6 years ago

Probably should have put myself on the list a month ago Eli but hey, better late then never right!?
Please add tkaye 04-28-13.
And great stuff here Eli! I was going to buy a used set of sound activated EL take offs from a friend who was buying your new mod but after reading and thinking about it I have to get this one too!!

#885 6 years ago

Got a link? The last version we have is 2-11-2013

I'm not sure just how open Eli wants this, so I'll send you a PM. The link is also in the installation instructions Eli sent the new buyers of the developer kit. The date on the files in the archive I have is 4/20.

#886 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Unless I loaded the wrong file onto them, which seems unlikely, the code is identical. Probably just a bug where the code was getting confused about what mode it was in. It won't hurt anything to replace it if you've installed the tools.

#887 6 years ago

It's kinda hard to say what actually happened with the default load, but mine was consistently going into the fast flashing mode after every game. The only time it was in the slow attract mode was when I first turned on the game. After loading the code from the r1 archive, it properly switches to the slow flashing attract every time.

Edit: OK, maybe I jumped the gun on saying the r1 code fixed the super fast attract mode. I went back and loaded it directly from the archive, and the problem came back on mine. I then loaded the code with my changes again, and it was fixed again. It must be something in my changes, but I can't say for sure what that would be. Sorry for the confusion.

#888 6 years ago

I have read through this entire thread and this mod looks great. I was thinking trading my LE for a Pro and adding this mod, and getting another game like metallica too.

#889 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Edit: OK, maybe I jumped the gun on saying the r1 code fixed the super fast attract mode. I went back and loaded it directly from the archive, and the problem came back on mine. I then loaded the code with my changes again, and it was fixed again. It must be something in my changes, but I can't say for sure what that would be. Sorry for the confusion.

Didn't you say your machine wasn't on free play? The current end of game code is using the start button to determine when to go into attract - no credits, no attract mode (obviously a high priority fix.)

#890 6 years ago

ok, it looks like the change you made to the TRON_Ramps_r1 in the game state has changed paragraph slowed the fast attract mode at game over. I've isolated it to a couple of lines of code. I like this change, thanks. I can send the few lines to the other owners if they would like to implement just this one change.

Quoted from herg:

It's kinda hard to say what actually happened with the default load, but mine was consistently going into the fast flashing mode after every game. The only time it was in the slow attract mode was when I first turned on the game. After loading the code from the r1 archive, it properly switches to the slow flashing attract every time.

#891 6 years ago

As for the question about "tighter

Quoted from herg:Spudgunman,

Yea I just hugged the profile of the ramp real tight, I used like a 7/32 bit (the smallest bit I could put the smaller ziptie thru comfortably) so it gave me good room or make small holes.

Additionally any location where there is "more of a lip" I kept my holes as close to the profile as always - I just drilled two holes in the ramp to keep it very tight and close... If needed I can take a photo.. Of this double hole thing. (Even if you have a single hole today.. It's likely easy that you can go back and double hole)

#892 6 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

Didn't you say your machine wasn't on free play?

Yeah, I have an extra case to check for (no credits), but when there are credits on the machine, it works the same as all you other guys. The code luv is talking about fixes both issues.

Quoted from Spudgunman:

I just drilled two holes in the ramp to keep it very tight and close

I did the same, and it worked out nicely except that one spot where the switch screws didn't allow enough space to fit between them and the wall of the ramp.

#893 6 years ago

I did the same, and it worked out nicely except that one spot where the switch screws didn't allow enough space to fit between them and the wall of the ramp.

On this part, I loosened the screws and manhandled the tubing in there, then tightened them. Sits in between the nuts and the ramp on those areas.

#894 6 years ago

Now that several more people have the kit installed, give some thoughts to the following additions:

1) A dedicated mode for TRON. TRON like FLYNN is another gimme mode, so it would be cool to have the ramp lighting accent this mode to make it a bit more interesting.

2) An effect for DOUBLE SCORING (also absent in the LE). We originally had this as a PURPLE RAMP mode that trumped all running modes, but we weren't sure we liked it. I think DOUBLE SCORING is an important event, unlike the bumper mode, so we should accentuate it somehow.

3) An effect at the FLYNN arcade scoop. Again, we originally had a burst of ramp color or something, but it was interfering with other things. Now that we have more "heads" to think about it, maybe we can make something interesting.

#895 6 years ago

I like the idea of something for Double Scoring.

#896 6 years ago

An effect for DOUBLE SCORING (also absent in the LE).

Actually, the apron flashers pulsate during double scoring on the LE.

#897 6 years ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

On this part, I loosened the screws and manhandled the tubing in there, then tightened them. Sits in between the nuts and the ramp on those areas.

This as quoted, I too did the same on the 5mm EL wire, you have to play with the hardware a little..

#898 6 years ago

If one of you can email me a photo of the trouble spot(s) I'll be sure to put a warning in the instructions.

#899 6 years ago

Eli - your TRON optic work is stunning. Please add me to the list for your production run - when available!

#900 6 years ago

Now that several more people have the kit installed, give some thoughts to the following additions:

2) An effect for DOUBLE SCORING (also absent in the LE). We originally had this as a PURPLE RAMP mode that trumped all running modes, but we weren't sure we liked it. I think DOUBLE SCORING is an important event, unlike the bumper mode, so we should accentuate it somehow.

How about adding a double flash effect during double scoring periods. Hold the ramps steady and then flash flash every few seconds.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 1706 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 35.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside