IMG_1572.JPG
Capture.PNG
20131011_013235.jpg
Backlash.jpg
i-fJpTQDf-XL.jpg
image.jpg
i-sxWZbFB-L.jpg
Stuck-mud.jpg
There are 1,709 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 35.
#801 11 years ago

I've just used transparent tape on mine, no one has ever noticed, plus no permanent change to the machine.

#802 11 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I've just used transparent tape on mine, no one has ever noticed, plus no permanent change to the machine.

Pics ??

#803 11 years ago

Pics ??

This is my EL Wire with tape. There's next to no cost with trying it. Use transparent, not the cloudy kind.

tronel.jpgtronel.jpg

#804 11 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

This is my EL Wire with tape.

The EL wire is lighter than the fiber. I don’t think it would be strong enough to hold the fiber long term.

#805 11 years ago

frolic, do you have some closeup pics ??

#806 11 years ago

He's talking about the totally transparent kind. It's more popular around Christmas for wrapping presents because it goes on totally clear (aside from a little shine). If you're buying Scotch brand, it's usually a purple color, not green on the package. I imagine it's almost entirely invisible inside a pinball machine whereas zip ties would be more noticeable.

#807 11 years ago

Well I have not had the opportunity to use it with eli's fiber wire. but I will try it. As much as it's a great mod, making non-permanent changes to my game is preferable.

#808 11 years ago

So who's the 10 lucky turds that got in?

#809 11 years ago

I see no reason to be secretive about it. If USPS does my bidding, I'll be pooped when I go to bed this Saturday night.

#810 11 years ago

I was offered but I decided Id rather wait for the final versions. Kinda tapped out after Tax day, and Im super busy at work currently (14 hour days this week). So I thought somebody else could get it up and running sooner.

#811 11 years ago

I just paid for mine. Hopefully Saturday for me, as well.

#812 11 years ago

I've sent out 8 as of today, 5 people have decided to wait for the final version, 2 people got hosed because they were international and I didn't want to risk sending them non RoHS stuff that might get stuck in Bureaucratic Hell (sorry again, guys.)

#813 11 years ago

Yep. I got hosed..... Bit gutted, but hey heres looking forward to the final version!

Hope to see a lot of pics and vids up soon of the guys that got the developer kit. Tease me!

#814 11 years ago

Again, I would LOVE to be in the beta version. It would be my first priority to get it installed, give feedback to any issues, work through them, and possibly dive into the coding.
If at all possible, give me a chance. I've built lots of tech toys, and love diving into modding - and this is the best MOD of the them all.
That's my pitch...

Thanks again for the update Eli - awesome to hear that some of them already are goin out!

#815 11 years ago

Im one of the few. Suppose to be here tomorrow. I think its cool because my Tron was the very first one on pinside to get EL wire and its gonna be a fun transition.

#816 11 years ago

Eli you've only got 5 waiting for final? I'm surprised between the numbers of prototype and finals there are so few. I would like to be on the list for final if i'm not already.

#817 11 years ago

There's a big list of people waiting for the mod. There were five potential early adopters who opted to wait for the final version rather than get one of developer kits.

#819 11 years ago

So what happens in the middle of your drilling of your ramp cracks, I mean it's plastic? I would probably do tape just for fear of a ramp replacement . A ton of hung go people but for me this looks like a time consuming and if your not handy well I would stick to tape method. I consider the time spent installing this to be part of cost.

#820 11 years ago

Terrific! The fun begins! Thanks for the update, can't wait for the next one to get installed.

#821 11 years ago

Can't wait to see this mod in person Eli big thanks for working on this project for us. Best of luck in the home stretch!!

#822 11 years ago

From all reports the ramps actually drill really well and nobody has had an issue yet, but this definitely isn't a quick install. In the EL wire thread people have mentioned using an old junk soldering iron and melting the holes as an alternative, but that sounds kind of unpleasant. If anybody does decide to try the tape method I'm sure they'll post pictures.

#823 11 years ago

I want on the purchase list please

#824 11 years ago

I wouldn't dare try to do the install. I've got the best tech in the bidness. Kris'll post shots of his handiwork after it's done.

#825 11 years ago

Not to mention, i'm sure there are some toxic fumes when melting those ramps.

#826 11 years ago

I was the other international that got hosed.

All good though Eli, i fully understand mate and will patiently wait till the production version. The fact this is even happening is good enough for me.

Any indication of a release month?

#827 11 years ago

If you need another early adopter.. I've got over 2,400 plays on my Tron. Would love it

#828 11 years ago

I can't wait to get my kit and Eli shipped it out on Monday afternoon. It still hasn't crossed the border to Canada but hoping to get it soon. I will probably be drilling my ramps using zip ties to secure the wire. I have seen Eli's wires on Drano's Tron and they are pretty thick. I think as long as you use a cordless drill instead of a hammer drill, go very slow with a proper drill bit and you should be fine. I will post up pics once I get it installed on my machine.

#829 11 years ago

I couldnt resist...
here is a crappy video with a rough in showing the mode biased real quick you will notice a lot of light bleed into the fiber wire.. mainly because its a sloppy install and the wire touches lights causing fade. in the room its quite epic. anywhoo. eli.. awesome.

#830 11 years ago

Looking sweet I cannot wait for full production to start.

#831 11 years ago

Sick. Can't wait for production either.

#832 11 years ago

I have to say that looks like one of the best looking mods I have seen to date.

#833 11 years ago

Count me in when they are ready!

#834 11 years ago

Great job, can't wait!

#835 11 years ago

yep, I'm in when its done. Looks fantastic!

#836 11 years ago

I originally used tape for the EL wire, but it sags over time. Eli's wire seems like it has more weight and will probably sag even more.

I absolutely recommend drilling the ramps. It takes 15 minutes to remove the ramps, 30 minutes to drill, and 15 minutes to reinstall. Just take your time. Thread with thin white zip ties.

This is a fantastic mod -- best of luck with the test runs!

#837 11 years ago

Just a note but Id use clear zip ties instead of white.

#838 11 years ago

yeah, clear white zip ties as thin as you can get em.

#839 11 years ago

I did one of the first EL wire mods on a Tron Pro and I used clear hot glue to tack the EL wire in place. It's worked great all this time, no sags, etc. I will likely use the same hot glue on the fiber optic too.

#840 11 years ago

Here's a shot of my drilled ramps. The spacing is close to the LE but not exact. I may have used clear zip ties, but they looked pretty white to me.

IMG_0644[1].jpgIMG_0644[1].jpg

#841 11 years ago

Wow, Eli! I can't wait for this to be ready. I'm in.

#842 11 years ago

Even though my father hasn't got a tron and he would love to own one
How many kits will you be making

#843 11 years ago

Freakin amazing! I know I've sent eli too many messages, but just in case....I have been and am in on this!

#844 11 years ago

Maybe there actually are clear boutique zip ties somewhere, I'll have to look, but I'm pretty sure what people mean by both clear and white is natural nylon, which are kind of translucent.

Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Even though my father hasn't got a tron and he would love to own one
How many kits will you be making

As many as we need to. The whole reason for this latest redesign and the developer release was that I just wasn't going to be able to meet demand with the original design. There are way too many parts, all of which were hand assembled and many hand soldered as well. The new kits are redesigned to actually be producible in enough quantity to meet demand. Downside, another delay. Upside, I don't go insane and more than a few dozen people get kits.

#845 11 years ago

I have seen photos of "clear" plastic zip ties but cant find a source for them. clear.. not "natural" foggy. still searching

here is the image I saw left most clear zip tie
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2009/37776-zip_ties.jpg

#846 11 years ago

I bought a big bag of cheap ones for making my cables, and they are really thin. So thin that I've had a good number of them break when assembling cables. I think they'll be good for this, though. I'll have to take another look when I get home to see how clear they are, but I suspect they're actually more foggy than clear.

I just looked them up, and they call them "natural", plus they don't have them for sale any more.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0060RUTYO/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_2

#847 11 years ago

I bought clear small thin zip ties at home depot. They are maybe 3 inches long and very thin maybe 2mm? They came in a pack of 50 or so if I recall. Thats how I determined how any holes to drill

Quoted from Spudgunman:

I have seen photos of "clear" plastic zip ties but cant find a source for them. clear.. not "natural" foggy. still searching
here is the image I saw left most clear zip tiehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2009/37776-zip_ties.jpg

#848 11 years ago

Looks like there's a market opportunity here for someone to fabricate some kind of clear plastic cable guides that you could superglue onto the ramps.

Even a true "transparent" zip tie is gonna be pretty obvious, a mounting solution that's purely below the ramp would be more ideal.

#849 11 years ago

Maybe, but I haven't heard a complaint from the 400 LE owners that have their fiber optic lighting mounted with clear zip ties. Its honestly a non-issue to me. It never bothered me seeing little clear zip tie heads around the ramp. The loop is under the ramp and so is the fiber.

Quoted from Aurich:

Looks like there's a market opportunity here for someone to fabricate some kind of clear plastic cable guides that you could superglue onto the ramps.
Even a true "transparent" zip tie is gonna be pretty obvious, a mounting solution that's purely below the ramp would be more ideal.

#850 11 years ago

Would be cool if someone could intergrate daft punk/end of line multiball in tron pro that would be the icing on the cake for tron.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Trade
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 1,709 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 35.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wthack-tron-pro-near-98501/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.