Topic Stats

• 1,706 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SuperPinball
  • Topic is favorited by 105 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 83 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-218.jpg
image-922.jpg
image.jpg
IMAG2871.jpg
20131215_194307.jpg
image.jpg
147517.gif
i-bZQNnNw-XL.jpg
IMG_1572.JPG
Capture.PNG
20131011_013235.jpg
Backlash.jpg
i-fJpTQDf-XL.jpg
image.jpg
i-sxWZbFB-L.jpg
Stuck-mud.jpg

There are 1706 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 35.
#451 7 years ago

This thread/mod may just singlehandedly lower the current market value of the LE models $2-3k. I can't wait for this to be finished. Put me down for one please.

#452 7 years ago

Here is a video I took today showing the latest progress with the lamp lighting modes.
All of the main modes are mostly working.
Non-modes such as Quorra Spinner, Recognizer bank, and some other things are also shown.

End of game and attract mode are not coded yet.

#453 7 years ago

Wow, even the little bit of attract mode lighting looked super good in 1080p. Thanks for the update.

#454 7 years ago

Put me on the list as well. Just installed the arcade mod today can't wait to have this on my tron as well. It looks absolutely fantastic!!

#455 7 years ago

It just keeps getting better! You guys have obviously put in mega time on this. I agree with the earlier comments about the ramps being lit all the time then changing when modes change. I'm also looking forward to customizing it whenever you start selling them!

#456 7 years ago

Thanks you for taking time to share that luvthatapex2. Seeing that made me so happy I did not spring for a LE Tron, it's getting really good.

#457 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Here is a video I took today showing the latest progress with the lamp lighting modes.
All of the main modes are mostly working.
Non-modes such as Quorra Spinner, Recognizer bank, and some other things are also shown.

End of game and attract mode are not coded yet.

Thanks for taking the video.
This version is very fun to play. My son’s and I are enjoying it.

#458 7 years ago

What happens if Stern updates the Tron code?

#459 7 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

What happens if Stern updates the Tron code?

It will still work fine.
Thanks for stopping by to the Tron club thinking about joining?

#460 7 years ago

Just some info , Is Stern gonna Run another Batch of Tron Pro's in Dec- ?

#461 7 years ago

...It will still work fine.

That's not too convincing. I'd like some details.

#462 7 years ago

Are software updates included in the price that has not been disclosed?

#463 7 years ago

The lighting effects are based on the states of the lamps and solenoids being sent to the driver board, it doesn't know anything about the code being run on the pinball's CPU. In theory a major change in Stern's code might require the triggers for one or two of the effects to be updated, but the mod controller is based on the ubiquitous Arduino and the code for the effects is all open source.

#464 7 years ago

Looks like you guys are getting close. Any loose completion time or price?

Not trying to rush, just trying to plan ahead with funds, etc.

#465 7 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Looks like you guys are getting close. Any loose completion time or price?
Not trying to rush, just trying to plan ahead with funds, etc.

Agreed. I'm in for sure, but I should probably start wrangling funds.

#466 7 years ago

Update!

ok, so after spending lots of time on the modes of TRON, we decided to take a break and work on the cool attract mode. I took a fast video to show you todays progress (sorry forgot to take off the glass!)

And the beauty of it all .... if you don't like it, or want different colors, timing, effects, you can change it. Have it your way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TtbEM1lw8Fk

#467 7 years ago

Awesome work! It looks like you are very close to finished.

#468 7 years ago

ok, here are 2 videos with the glass off to show todays progress.

#469 7 years ago

ok, here are 2 videos with the glass off to show todays progress.

It even looks better in person.

#470 7 years ago

This looks awesome. Just awesome.

#471 7 years ago

A
M
A
Z
I
N
G
!

#472 7 years ago

How difficult is this be to install?

#473 7 years ago

Fantastic! Can't wait to get this kit and tinker with the programming options. Endless fun.

#474 7 years ago

Yep!!!! I'm sold. I've already done two different ramp colors with EL wire but this looks way cool!! Put me down for one also !!

#475 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

How difficult is this be to install?

It's not difficult at all.
We have detailed pictures of how each of us installed the beta units. I won't post them yet until Eli is ready to go, but all we had to do was make a bracket to hold the two emitter boards under the playfield. We used flat aluminum bar from Home Depot and there were existing mounting points under the playfield that made it very easy. Pictures were posted very early in this thread.

With the cradle/bracket bult, it was simply a matter of running the fiber optic cable around the ramps and into the existing holes in the playfield (luckily both pro and LE pfs are the same) and the cabled plug into the two emitters. You will have to probably drill the ramps to zip-tie the cables to them, or use some sort of DS tape, but I was lazy and ordered LE ramps from PBL.

A master board gets inserted into the head cabinet that interupts one of the ribbon cables and reads signals from the game. It is wired down to the two emitter boards under th eplayfield. Power is from the aux supply for the emitters and in the back box for the main board.

I would imagine Eli might package a kit or detailed instructions once the time comes so you won't have to build connectors and brackets like we did

It's a thing of beauty for sure!

#476 7 years ago

Just installed the EL wire last week and I thought that looked amazing, really liking it so far.

From everything I've seen on this thread thus far the EL wire looks to be the appetizer and this bad boy is the main course. Can't wait for the finished product, looks downright awesome!

#477 7 years ago

If there's any kind of list I'd like to get on it. This looks incredible and I'm just amazed at what you guys have been able to do.

#478 7 years ago

WOW!!! That is just sick, these lighted ramps really make the game.
Looking forward to a set on my TRON and glad to here these are pretty easy to install. I don't have a set of the LE ramps so hope the location where to drill these holes will be included in the kit?

Will you contact us when these are available or just open a link to order?

Keep up the great updates its fun to see the progress

#479 7 years ago

Very nice! My ramps are naked, and begging for this.

#480 7 years ago

I've had my Tron for months, so I'm happy I got the EL Wire in the meantime, but can't wait to replace it with this .

Have we seen a video of the ramps doing different colors? I know it's been said that it is possible, I just don't think I've seen an example yet.

#481 7 years ago

Very nice! My ramps are naked, and begging for this.

g650798488.gif

#482 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I've had my Tron for months, so I'm happy I got the EL Wire in the meantime, but can't wait to replace it with this .
Have we seen a video of the ramps doing different colors? I know it's been said that it is possible, I just don't think I've seen an example yet.

I posted pics earlier in the thread but no video yet.
The current attract mode starts with left ramp orange and right ramp blue. I believe that is also an optional effect for light cycle MB, but the default color for that mode is yellow for now. The code seems to be getting updated almost daily now so I would imagine there will be more detailed video very soon.

#483 7 years ago

I am continually impressed with not how amazing this looks but how it keeps getting better (which I did not think was possible). Wonderful work and, as with others, I am indeed looking forward to purchasing!

#484 7 years ago

My ramps have not been in the pool.

#485 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I posted pics earlier in the thread but no video yet.
The current attract mode starts with left ramp orange and right ramp blue. I believe that is also an optional effect for light cycle MB, but the default color for that mode is yellow for now. The code seems to be getting updated almost daily now so I would imagine there will be more detailed video very soon.

Was ready to ask about the single color ramp colors shown in videos. Early topic was whether single or split ramp colors looked best. I suggested single would be less busy and more in synch with LE. Decision was made that they would be split. So figured I must have missed a post where that decision was changed. Now that you guys are cooking on the coding, should be easier to compare the two options anyways.

#486 7 years ago

All the advance features were stripped out to get the core features working.
Now they are being added back in.
I want light cycle to at least have two colors. It was made to have orange and blue.
The rest of them are not a big deal.

#487 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

All the advance features were stripped out to get the core features working.Now they are being added back in.I want light cycle to at least have two colors. It was made to have orange and blue.The rest of them are not a big deal.

I don't know if this is an option, but I was thinking about something. What if you have 2 modes running, say quorra and zuse. What if one ramp was green and the other white to indicate those modes are running together rather than the alternating colors. Could look cool. I guess the issue would be if you had 3 or more modes going at the same time, though.

#488 7 years ago

I like having the colors alternate between the stacked modes, but the great thing is that it will be open source so even if you can't program it yourself someone out there can! Really can't wait.

#489 7 years ago

Light Cycles yellow vs blue is definitely a must. Other than that I am indifferent.

#490 7 years ago

I tried split ramp colors and didn't like them. It was cool for 5 minutes then got annoying when multiballs and other modes kicked in. I want the game to have life and color, but not be brash like a circus. Of course you can do split ramp colors if you like. You can change the LightCycle yellow ramps to blue and yellow. You can make your own modes if you like.

We didn't make decisions that are irreversible, everything can be changed. I made an attract mode that mimics the LE for the most part using the LE colors. Maybe someone doesn't like that, and had an idea for a sweeping blue/yellow animation during the main attract mode, or a color that goes from the left ramp to the right ramp, then pulses 2 different colors. I have to say having the attract mode and end of game attract mode installed now makes a BIG improvement in the wow factor of this game.

Some core things are in place that would be possible to change but more work. Like showing each stacked mode color on the ramps. Some will love this idea and some won't. We will include it and if you want to change it, change it. Ramp colors are the easiest to change, there are 2 lines of code for each color effect.

Quoted from Don1:

I like having the colors alternate between the stacked modes, but the great thing is that it will be open source so even if you can't program it yourself someone out there can! Really can't wait.

#491 7 years ago

Great work, looking forward to this for sure. Let me know if you need engineering or CAD support.

Todd

#492 7 years ago

When the kits are sold will they have basic code installed? How exactly is the code changed and put into the game? I mean do you do it on a computer and flash it onto the mod controller?

What are the basic colors? Is this more colorful than the LE Tron?

#493 7 years ago

Eli will be packaging the kit, but I believe he will include everything you need to do the install including whatever level(s) we come up with. Then you can just go wild and create your own.

You'll need to download arduino 1.0.1 for windows and install it on a PC or laptop if you want to change the code. I think there is a linux version too. This is the programming environment.

Basically, you load the existing sketch, make your changes, save the file and upload it to the module in the head of the pinball. I have a USB cable out the back of my game since I updated it a few hundred times with my laptop next to the pinball. You could also remove the module and update it with the USB cable on your PC if you don't have a laptop.

Basic colors? It is more colorful than TRON LE because it uses PWM which can vary thousands of colors. The TRON LE has 8 colors. The videos I showed recently were with maybe 10 colors to keep it simple as I build the modes. Look at my GEM and FLYNN colors they are way different from the LE to get an idea. You can use literally any color, to match your LED inserts, etc. since many people have put different LEDs in their PRO.

Quoted from rai:

When the kits are sold will they have basic code installed? How exactly is the code changed and put into the game? I mean do you do it on a computer and flash it onto the mod controller?
What are the basic colors? Is this more colorful than the LE Tron?

#494 7 years ago

Have you taken a shot at the SoS and end-of-ball ramp lighting like the LE? In SoS you can follow the ladder inserts, but end-of-ball there doesn't seem to be any game lights other than then ramps.

#495 7 years ago

What happens at the end of each ball on the LE? Do the ramps flash whatever modes you were in at the end? Please explain.

Quoted from spidey:

Have you taken a shot at the SoS and end-of-ball ramp lighting like the LE? In SoS you can follow the ladder inserts, but end-of-ball there doesn't seem to be any game lights other than then ramps.

#496 7 years ago

What happens at the end of each ball on the LE? Do the ramps flash whatever modes you were in at the end? Please explain.

spidey said:

Yes, ramps flash with ladder inserts. I mentioned not having any game lights, but the inserts do cycle with bonus sequence. Check out:

Time 4:39

I also noticed some fancy effects, like alternating ramps flashing to start some modes like Quorra, or when the disc shot is made, and LC seems to have with pulsating lights. Seems like with enough time programming, all this could be mimicked and improved upon, with some improvements already demonstrated in these early vids.

#497 7 years ago

Put me on the list for one please, assuming there is a list.

Parker

#498 7 years ago

You'll need to download arduino 1.0.1 for windows and install it on a PC or laptop if you want to change the code. I think there is a linux version too. This is the programming environment.

I take it you're using an uno then. The mega has some addressing space issues in 1.0.1 that have yet to be fixed. Are you building custom ATMega boards or is this functioning as a shield? Also are there plans to release the hardware schematics as well?

This will be fun to tinker with.

#499 7 years ago

where do you get the moving recogniser mod?

#500 7 years ago

I believe the moving part is LE-only. You can add LEDs to your Pro recognizer, but I don't know of any mod to make it move.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 1706 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 35.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside