View topic image gallery

swisher_cc_king-edward_1440x400 (resized).png
rs-144227-0fc834d1d9b44323660aa6c0e26293c62da48460 (resized).jpg
IMG_20150103_130222 (resized).jpg
40D36E92-3923-4727-8440-424DE78BCEFC (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
61HQAW1NS2L._SY445_ (resized).jpg
4440420B-40DA-4F37-B9DA-CA23BD6ED1D6 (resized).jpeg
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

I was born in 1986 and just found out there is a cool 70s song called the pinball wizard that is pretty catchy. Great theme with the WHO and Elton John

Immediately after finding this I found out that song was only one piece in a Rock Opera Film called Tommy released in 1975. A movie about Pinball with rock music? Take a look at the preview.

Starts off strong. But as soon as they bounce off of the theme song it goes.... down hill. What is this movie even about? I can tell nothing from the previews other than Elton John used to be decent 45 years ago.

Also... if you can make it through Logans run without laughing at the soundtrack you are an enigma.

Youngish guy rant over.

#2 4 years ago

How is that even possible? Oh wait I know. I'm old now. But to be 12 years old in 86 was magic.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

How is that even possible? Oh wait I know. I'm old now. But to be 12 years old in 86 was magic.

Still learning here. Found the lyrics... "That deaf dumb and blind kid sure plays a mean game of pinball". I have a feeling the movie will be even weirder than the preview.

#4 4 years ago

I was smoking a lot of black hash and thai stick, with an occasional hit of 4-way window pane thrown in for fun.

#5 4 years ago

Parliaments

Apparently Hawkmoon took issue with me smoking Parliaments back in the 70s
I also smoked Chesterfield Kings non filters.
That and $10 three finger bags of mexican dirt weed.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I was smoking a lot of black hash

When I was 15/16 that's all we smoked, seemed weed didn't even exist. It was greatness. Hash bots and straight into the arcade, as much as I love to play still nothing will beat those days. Mostly system 11's and theres something special happening when ur supposed to be in class yet ur stoned in a dark corner of a bowling alley playing Dr.Dude. Good times.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I was smoking a lot of black hash and thai stick, with an occasional hit of 4-way window pane thrown in for fun.

This. Plus, Tommy was an album from 1969. If you are from a certain generation, you just choose to ignore the movie, kind of like the Sergeant Pepper movie.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

This. Plus, Tommy was an album from 1969. If you are from a certain generation, you just choose to ignore the movie, kind of like the Sergeant Pepper movie.

Why did you make me look this up.

So many bad musicals in the 70s.

#9 4 years ago

The machine of Tommy preference was Gottlieb's Kings and Queens. Forget the movie, buy the Who's album.

#10 4 years ago

U really need a old hippy like me to tell U that U missed the 60's badly!! Panama Red,and Acapulco Gold was King,along with 5 ball pinballs!

#11 4 years ago

Pinball...wizard?!

Never heard of it.

#12 4 years ago

That’s that movie about Nintendo where they introduced Super Mario Brothers 3 right?

#13 4 years ago

One of the taglines i remember in 1975 about the movie Tommy was... Your senses will never be the same........

#14 4 years ago

1986? Christ on a cracker man, I was 20 years old, living in an apt with my 3rd girlfriend.

You JUST found this? Get your head out of Insta-grab or Book Face, or whatever one person in the room ‘social’ media you kids use.

I was born in 1966 yet I knew about the pulse of previous decades when I was a kid.

I’m just teasing ya Junior. It’s what folks do.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I was born in 1986 and just found out there is a cool 70s song called the pinball wizard that is pretty catchy. Great theme with the WHO and Elton John

Immediately after finding this I found out that song was only one piece in a Rock Opera Film called Tommy released in 1975. A movie about Pinball with rock music? Take a look at the preview.

Starts off strong. But as soon as they bounce off of the theme song it goes.... down hill. What is this movie even about? I can tell nothing from the previews other than Elton John used to be decent 45 years ago.
Also... if you can make it through Logans run without laughing at the soundtrack you are an enigma.

Youngish guy rant over.

Is this post a joke? Genuinely asking

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It has to be. I have no clue how you would have never heard that song or Elton John. You would have had to lived in Elmore City (Footloose, something else for you to look up).

#17 4 years ago

Another great Who song from the 70's was Baba O'Riley, written in protest to Vietnam in '71.

#18 4 years ago

I grew up with the Who,they have tons of great songs.

#20 4 years ago

Immediately after finding this I found out that song was only one piece in a Rock Opera Film called Tommy released in 1975. A movie about Pinball.

In other news, did you hear that Kennedy was assassinated in 1963?

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

U really need a old hippy like me to tell U that U missed the 60's badly!! Panama Red,and Acapulco Gold was King,along with 5 ball pinballs!

1964-65 I was spending a lot of my days roller skating to the Stones song "Get off of my cloud" and "Paint it Black" in early '66

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I was born in 1966 yet I knew about the pulse of previous decades when I was a kid.

Yes sir, might be the biggest problem with the yute of today. I was an 80's kid and while we enjoyed 80's music and film we were well aware and highly admired the music etc. from 60's and 70's. even the HipHop guys today no nothing of Rap, The Fat Boys and Big Daddy Kain. Its a damn shame a damn shame and speaks volumes as to their known douchbagery. Not speaking about you OP you could be of a nice enough sort but on average seems to me people born in the 80's and beyond just lost something, hence the current state of things.
Good day to u sir, I said good day.

#23 4 years ago

Why did you make me look this up.

Musicals always have been ( and always will be) bad .

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Nope... found it this morning. Remember that you can be a family man, have 3 kids, a military veteran and have a solid career and still not remember the fall of the Berlin wall. I fall in that category. The music sounds great, the movie looks like hot garbage.

#25 4 years ago

After you finish watching Sgt. Pepper be sure to check out Xanadu. They eventually turned it into a pretty good Broadway show that goofed on itself.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Ditchweed. In 1967 or 1968 you got your smoke in a for real matchbox. $5.00. Then “lids”, an ounce rolled up in a plastic baggie became the norm along with seeds and stems.

I was told it was Panama Red or Alcapaca Gold or some other superweed.

No shit some of it could lay you back with cases of dry mouth and munchies, but the pedigree was always a question mark.

And sometimes it seemed what you wound up with was a bag of horse shit.

#27 4 years ago

you need to watch

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Lol weed is better today with decades of breeding and it is all indoor grown in controlled conditions

#29 4 years ago

Went to Florida tech in melbourne... when they busted an importer stuff would get thrown from the boat, overboard. A different kind of seaweed would wash up on shore. Lol

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Musicals always have been ( and always will be) bad .

So this might not be the best time to bring up the script I wrote..."Pinball Olympics--the Musical"?

#31 4 years ago

You want something awful? Go watch Xanadu.

#32 4 years ago

Toledo window box- ditch weed that was so bad it was most likely grown in a window box in Toledo, Ohio. That's what we had in Columbus, Ohio

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

So this might not be the best time to bring up the script I wrote..."Pinball Olympics--the Musical"?

You can put that script in the same place Ian Fleming should have put the script for “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang”

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

lol Xanadu was the worse!But definitely loved Logan's Run mainly because of Jenny Agutter's
sweet bouncing boobies.We went to R rated movies to see boobs back then!

#35 4 years ago

You’re just finding this out now?

Some things are better left unsaid.

#36 4 years ago

We bought 5 finger bags of redbud for $35 and went to concerts every weekend with bands like
Boston Foghat Reo Styx and others three at a time for $7.50 Good times

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Lol weed is better today with decades of breeding and it is all indoor grown in controlled conditions

Yes. Much. The Colorado model is expensive but its product is controlled by the state. The kinds of chemicals used or not used for growing is not some big question mark.

Consistency and quality are measured, repeatable items.

#38 4 years ago

I was smoking thai stick and honey oil. Not bad stuff for the 70’s. $10 each! Went to great rock shows at Anaheim stadium including Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynard, Ted Nugent, REO Speedwagon and Foreigner!! Surprising I remember this. Lol

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

We bought 5 finger bags of redbud for $35 and went to concerts every weekend with bands like

That's pre Reagan

#40 4 years ago

A nickel bag, was a nickel!! (5 bucks)

#41 4 years ago
4440420B-40DA-4F37-B9DA-CA23BD6ED1D6 (resized).jpeg4440420B-40DA-4F37-B9DA-CA23BD6ED1D6 (resized).jpeg
#43 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

sweet bouncing boobies.We went to R rated movies to see boobs back then!

Or looked at the latest edition of National Geographic, parental approved Lol

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Wow thats bad. Never heard of it. Wish i hadn't watched the preview. Technically not a 70s movie though.

#45 4 years ago

Spent many a day sitting around stoned on 714's and my trusty lid of Jamaican.

#46 4 years ago

Best musical without a pin....

61HQAW1NS2L._SY445_ (resized).jpg61HQAW1NS2L._SY445_ (resized).jpg
#47 4 years ago

I stood inline to see Xanadu. Still have my roller skates.

#48 4 years ago

But at least they gave us Rocky Horror and Jesus Christ Superstar.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Probably the best multi act concert lineup I can remember was
at the Cow Palace in S.F. (Daly City) (~ late 70s) with
Head East opened, then Sammy Hagar (his Red period after he left Montrose and prior to Van Halen),
J. Geils Band (prior to their big commercial success with Freeze Frame/Centerfold)
and finally Ted Nugent at his badass self heights.

#50 4 years ago

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer along with Cooper were two of the best stage acts around. I saw Rush when they opened for Uriah Heep and Manfred Mann in '74 and it was f' Awesome.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 45.95
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtf-were-you-guys-smoking-in-the-70s?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.