6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by xsvtoys
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 6 months ago

TL; DR - Someone tried to plagiarize me, and they got their ass in a whole world of shit now, and I got my "A-" grade.

Think of this as a public service announcement:

Don't ever think you won't be plagiarized. This happened to me just Fall 2018 on 09 December. I am currently working on my Masters in Systems Architecting and Engineering at the University of Southern California. Started it January 2017 - real life (divorce, foreclosure, raising my stepson, etc.) happened, and so it has taken me a bit longer than I'd like - but hey - we go at the pace we can. The degree is 100% distant learning: attending live lectures through video telecon capes. I tend to make study groups as this kind of material can be a bit daunting, and there is truth in the saying: "Strength in numbers." We had a 3-4 person study group from late August to 01 Dec, and we met faithfully on a weekly basis to go over the homework assignments, class notes, lecture slides, ask each other questions, and formulate questions for the professors.

Near the end, we had a class project that counted as 30% of our grade. We were not allowed to work as a group on a single project, but we were allowed to meet and work separately on our individual projects (like working at a library table in a group but on your own work), and we could review any class material we want, review things on the internet together, and comb lecture and homework for anything to help us on our projects. It was a daunting task, but we knew we could do it with integrity. Well.........

The last two days of the class, I let someone into our online study group; they claimed they were struggling in the class and needed some help. We were glad to let them in, and this individual severely abused that trust. I shared my screen for a peer review, and this individual must have taken screen captures of every one of my slides, and then they went into PowerPoint and methodically recreated every one of my slides, claiming the work as their own. Take a look at the slides; they are nearly absolutely identical - my work is on the left. The project was turned in 30 Nov.

On 09 Dec, my professor notifies me that my work looks identical to another student's work. I had to wait until 19 Dec to speak with the professor and defend my work. I talked with so many individuals and agencies; I honestly felt like I was ON CAMPUS I was talking to so many people. Student Justice Services, Academic Integrity Counselor, Department Administrator, Associate Dean - you name them - I probably talked to them. It was a VERY stressful time as plagiarism can have some very serious consequences.

I had a student who peer reviewed my work, and she turned in a notarized testimony to defend and validate that I was the original author of the work. Thankfully, I also had two drafts that had enough work that matched my final project verbatim, that when her testimony and my drafts were turned in - that was enough to win the confidence of the faculty, and I was exonerated of all suspicions on 19 Dec, and I earned my rightful grade of an "A-" in the class. Halfway done with my Masters!!!!!!!

I don't know what will happen to the other student, and frankly, I don't care. I hope they are removed from the Systems Architecting and Engineering Graduate Program. USC doesn't need cheaters in their halls, and I sure as hell don't want to graduate alongside one.

Two lessons for me:
1. Don't be so trusting of strangers. Someone shows up in the last week of the class = turn them away politely.
2. Keep drafts, drafts, and more drafts.

Anyone ever tries to plagiarize me again, I'll have more evidence than a cop has ink in his ticket writing pen.

I have removed the screenshots of the files to keep the integrity of my project safe.

#2 6 months ago
Quoted from NPO:

Anyone ever tries to plagiarize me again, I'll have more evidence than a cop has ink in his ticket writing pen.

Your peer was a desperate fool to copy work so close and easy to identify.

Its surprisingly common these days from what I hear, and the approach and effort seems ignorant of the ramifications.

Good luck, glad you had proof. Good lesson there.

#3 6 months ago

I read this as Want To Find...

#4 6 months ago

Sweet now I have the slides to resubmit and get another degree. Great Christmas present!

#5 6 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

Sweet now I have the slides to resubmit and get another degree. Great Christmas present!

I was just about to say... Mind if I use these for a project? Damn you people with the same sense of humor.

#6 6 months ago

Haha the OP actually took some down. Not sure if he thought I was serious. Obviously I was not but talk about the random topic of the year

#7 6 months ago

A student in my ph d cohort got pinched for plagiarizing unintentionally and it was pretty serious, but eventually forgiven (she self-plagiarized from an article she’d written in a diff language, didn’t know she couldn’t do that). Also remember a University president in our system who was forced to resign for plagiarizing parts of his dissertation, which had been written 30 yrs prior. Also had a colleague who was reviewing a student’s final research paper, thinking “hey this kid knocked it out of the park” until he realized he was reading a plagiarized version of something he himself had written 15 years earlier (the student didn’t bother to notice his prof wrote the article he copied). Happens more than you’d think although I didn’t see it much at the graduate level that was intentional; usually it’s because of sloppy notes or ignorance of what constitutes dishonesty (e.g. self plagiarism). Sounds like the person who ripped you off was just completely brazen. Hope he gets filtered out before finishing and I’m glad it was cleared up for you.

#8 6 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

Haha the OP actually took some down. Not sure if he thought I was serious. Obviously I was not but talk about the random topic of the year

It wasn't inspired by your actions. I had family and some fellow graduate students inform me that I may want to rethink posting the photos, as there would be possible legal ramifications as well as my work being referenced by other students. I dont want to attract any unnecessary drama, so I removed it. I need to remove that last slide, which I will do when I return home (dont think I can do it on my phone)

As for the topic, I tend to post serious things in the "Serious D
Section" sub forum, because, well, that's where it belongs. If my experiences from divorce to deed in lieu of foreclosure on a home to defending my Masters against plagiarism can help one person, to me, it is worth sharing.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it : ).

#9 6 months ago

It's not a good idea, there generally is a zero tolerance policy at that level for plagiarism and I would presume the other student will not be getting their master's. And especially don't think you can get away with it even if you are sneaky. I teach online master's classes and we have a tool called Turnitin. It scans everyone's paper and compares it to published literature AND all other students papers and it works extremely well.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
£ 20.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 229.99
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 279.95
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
$ 9.95
$ 149.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
£ 45.00
Lighting - Other
PinballToys
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside