(Topic ID: 328224)

WTF, do I need to spell it out for you?...LOL

By FamDocKevin

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you know every machine's abbreviated letters?”

• I know every one. And, people who don't, if they love pinball enough, will get to know what EHOH means. 40 votes
      22%
    • I know most of them. The others, I can eventually figure out, or don't care enough about the machine to do so. 122 votes
      66%
    • I know nearly all of them, and it frustrates me that people to take the time to write out Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. 8 votes
      4%
    • I'm so confused. Is there an abbreviated form of Rush or AC/DC? 15 votes
      8%

(185 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1193190949_1 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20221226_190351_Reddit (resized).jpg
    There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

I've become less of a pinball noobie, but one of the most confusing things for my first two years was trying to identify the abbreviated nomenclature for a machine in a thread. Always wondered how most of you feel about BKSOR, or TBL, being abbreviated.

IMO, this should be a fun poll:

#2 1 year ago

WNBJM Definitely a lot to type otherwise.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from FamDocKevin:

I've become less of a pinball noobie

This post in itself shows how much of a noob you are. When your on this forum for a few years you not only instantly know TAF but in chat with friends you also call it TAF.

#4 1 year ago

Quick reminder for newer folks-
    IM is Iron Man, IMDN is Iron Maiden.
    Welcome aboard!

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Quick reminder for newer folks-
    IM is Iron Man, IMDN is Iron Maiden.
    Welcome aboard!

That's a good one another is STh is Stranger Things and ST is Startrek always mixed kinda annoying.

#6 1 year ago

The abbreviators got screwed with WW. Had to reabbreviate an abbreviation for White Water. And then they just decided not to abbreviate anymore with Willy Wonka.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

The abbreviators got screwed with WW. Had to reabbreviate an abbreviation for White Water.

Of course, Whirlwind came first.

#8 1 year ago

This is from Steve Martin’s Let’s Get Small Album:
    “Okay, I don’t like to gear my material to the audience, but I’d like to make an exception because I was told that there is a convention of plumbers in San Francisco this week – and I understand about 30 of them came down to the show tonight – so before I came out I worked-up a joke especially for the plumbers. Those of you who aren’t plumbers probably won’t get this and won’t think it’s funny, but I think those of you who are plumbers will really enjoy this, and uh…. So if you’re not a plumber, please, bear with me for a while and just kinda, you know, hold off on this, but I would like to do this for the plumbers. Here we go.

“This lawn supervisor was out on a sprinkler maintenance job and he started working on a Findlay sprinkler head with a Langstrom 7″ gangly wrench. Well, just then, this little apprentice leaned over and said, “You can’t work on a Findlay sprinkler head with a Langstrom 7″ wrench.” Well this infuriated the supervisor, so he went and got Volume 14 of the Kinsley manual, and he reads to him and says, “The Langstrom 7″ wrench can be used with the Findlay sprocket.” Just then, the little apprentice leaned over and said, “It says sprocket not socket!”

You have to learn the language. Whatever you're interested in. I had Steve Young from Pinball Resource on the phone. I was a noob. I was a split second from asking him what the “switches” were on a Gottlieb The Amazing Spiderman. To this day I’m glad the conversation turned just before I asked.

#9 1 year ago

Will this help?

Screenshot_20221226_190351_Reddit (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221226_190351_Reddit (resized).jpg
    #10 1 year ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

This post in itself shows how much of a noob you are. When your on this forum for a few years you not only instantly know TAF but in chat with friends you also call it TAF.

How many years do you need until your/you're is used properly?

#11 1 year ago

This abbreviation topic reminds me of this bit.

#12 1 year ago

LTG does not mean Learn To Google ! It's 23 years older than Google.

LTG : )

#13 1 year ago

The abbreviators got screwed with WW. Had to reabbreviate an abbreviation for White Water. And then they just decided not to abbreviate anymore with Willy Wonka.

WH20 seems like the obvious abbreviation for Whitewater.

#14 1 year ago

Don’t even try figure out the “nomenclature”. I really don’t.

#15 1 year ago

Robin should make a tornado emoji for Whirlwind to clear things up.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Exactly.. that's the abbreviation I was raised with.

#17 1 year ago

I'm going to give you a simple solution to your problem. Naturally, it will include an abbreviation.

1. Go to IPDB (google it, if needed)
    2. Click on advanced search
    3. Enter initials in Abbreviation field
    4. Click on Search Database button
    5. Problem solved

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from FamDocKevin:

IMO, this should be a fun poll:

IMO? What game is that?

#19 1 year ago

GTFO! This could be fun

#21 1 year ago

WH20 or WH2O. Doesn't seem like a big difference; but when I started programming Fortran back in the early 80s, this caused me 2 days of repeated compiling errors.

#22 1 year ago

Fortran is column dependent. First language I learned.

#23 1 year ago

SS= Space Shuttle...but to others it means Scared Stiff...

Phoebe

#25 1 year ago

On pinside every acronym will link to the game that it is.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

LOL!! Not in the case of SS...it goes to Scared Stiff...

Phoebe

#27 1 year ago

TAoRaBaF

#29 1 year ago

Really the only ones you need to know in this hobby is WTF and SMH. You will get a lot of mileage out of those.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

For some reason on mobile (iOS Safari) every game abbreviation links to the default search page. I know in desktop when I hover over the abbreviations they show the game

#31 1 year ago

My favorite is MM because i like candy,TBAG is my wife's favorite because she like tea.

#32 1 year ago

It has always been thus
    I have the goodie bag from an old EM, it is marked ACD

#33 1 year ago

It's real simple, but I don't like it when people use old abbreviations for new games. The IM / IMDN example above it one of them. Also JP / STRNJP. Pinside tells you the machine when you hovered over the proper abbrviation.

Edit: some point taken with Jurrasic Park. Thought it was STNJP or STRNJP, but not coming up. This can help.

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2019/08/07/pinball-acronyms/

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

It's real simple, but I don't like it when people use old abbreviations for new games. The IM / IMDN example above it one of them. Also JP / STRNJP. Pinside tells you the machine when you hovered over the proper abbrviation.

STRNJP? That one sucks.

I will call it JP. The better version should get the simpler abbreviation. The old one can be OGJP.

#35 1 year ago

GOTG gets me everytime because my brain skips straigt to GOT.

#36 1 year ago

This is absolutely the situation for pinball abbreviations.

#37 1 year ago

WW
    WH2O
    Wonka

#38 1 year ago

TS is The Shadow, people, not Toy Story 4. Try TS4 from now on! Seems sooo obvious to me

#39 1 year ago

TS is The Shadow, people, not Toy Story 4. Try TS4 from now on! Seems sooo obvious to me

Yes, yes, and yes.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

STRNJP? That one sucks.
    I will call it JP. The better version should get the simpler abbreviation. The old one can be OGJP.

Except that JP came before JP, so therefore the new JP can't be the JP. Got it?

#41 1 year ago

Or is it JPSTN?

#42 1 year ago

The one site just called it JP(3), but that kind of sucks.

#43 1 year ago

It's JP2 and DEJP for me. Nobody's ever asked for clarification

#44 1 year ago

JP2 though is JP: the Lost World. That is why JP3 came about.

#45 1 year ago

I get that but lost world was never called jp, cuz it's not jp the other 2 are based on the exact first movie so it makes perfect sense to be jp2. That game is based on a completely different film in the jurassic park franchise. I dont care if anyone calls Elwins game jp2 or jp3 i get it its the 3rd game created in that universe. Hell i think my cliffy set called it jp3 and i kinda snickered. Alternatively nobody calls Segas lost world pin jp2 but there is another lost world pin too confuse that one with..lol!

#46 1 year ago

Pretty sure if it has jp in the title at all it's listed after the lost world

#47 1 year ago

For the OP... the term is "Acronym".

Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

SS= Space Shuttle...but to others it means Scared Stiff...
    Phoebe

Well, yeah... but what about "Split Second"? S2nd perhaps?

But, sometimes they just don't make sense to me and they can get really confusing...

Whenever that game comes up in conversation round these parts, it's just "Maiden". So, I just type it that way. IM is still Iron Man although it could be the classic Stern Iron Maiden...same letters, different game. But it's so rare, it would hardly ever be used. (Modern enthusiasts would never use Madien these days to describe the classic Stern game because everyone would think you mean the new Stern title.)

Similar is Willy Wonka... people just say "Wonka". Or POTC... the "newest one" is "Pirates" or JJPOTC.

The most important acronym for newbies to learn is SDTM because they will probably experience it a LOT.

Then there is the entire LE, PREM addition at the end. Like ELE for an Elvis "gold". Or would it be EGOLD. ? Who knows... I'm fairly certain RSLE is Rolling Stones LE.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from MacGruber:

Pretty sure if it has jp in the title at all it's listed after the lost world

Either case, Jurassic Park is in the name.

#49 1 year ago

When you actually communicate with people face-to-face (remember that?) you wouldn't say 'TAF', you'd say 'Addams Family'. But it's a fun game we play here on Pinside... or should I say PS.

I work in a Government job and everything is abbreviate. Sometimes I have a little chuckle as some of the official Government abbreviations match my favorite pinball games.

Best pinball abbreviation is TNA, which has always been 'Tits and Ass' everywhere else.

#50 1 year ago

What are threads that have already been done 75 times for 200 Alex.

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtf-do-i-need-to-spell-it-out-for-youlol?hl=pinpickle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.