• Latest reply 1 year ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20191226_182417 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 4 years ago

Wasn't there something odd in the original Meteor code that was supposed to prevent it from working with an NVRAM installed in the original MPU board?

#26 4 years ago

This project is a good reason to finally get the Alltek board out of my Meteor and get the original board reinstalled. May hang onto the Alltek for testing but doubt I would ever buy another because of the way they handle the ROMs limiting alternative versions.

#31 4 years ago

This project is going to finally make me get the original MPU 200 back into shape. Just stripped off the old sockets, going to remove the memory cap, rejumper for 2732 chips, and install the dual NVRAM module I've had sitting here.

Still need to move Meteor back home but can participate in your Flight 2000 project since that is home and running.

IMG_20191226_182417 (resized).jpgIMG_20191226_182417 (resized).jpg
6 months later
#74 3 years ago

It looks like the ROM images for the new Meteor code may be off line. Is there a new link for them? I have an extra STERN MPU-200 all rebuilt and ready to run them. The board is configured for 2732 EPROM's at U2 and U6. I seem to recall the images were available as a set of 2716 chips. If there aren't images for 2732 chips I should be able to combine them but just need to confirm the order they should be combined before burning them.

Robert

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

https://sites.google.com/site/allentownpinball/galaxy-asm/METEOR64A-74A.ZIP?attredirects=0&d=1
The 7 digit version has all 3 file types (2716, 2732, and 27512 for weebly board). The 6 digit version is the 2716 only you combine in a dos window with:
copy /b meteor64a-u1.716 + meteor64a-u2.716 meteor64a-u2.732
copy /b meteor64a-u5.716 + meteor64a-u6.716 meteor64a-u6.732
It's a little confusing because if you know where in memory those chips go, it doesn't seem "correct" to combine them the way they are. (u1=$1000-$17ff, u2=$5000-$57ff, u5=$1800-$1fff, u6=$5800-$5fff). Since the sockets in a 2732 configuration cover X000-X7FF and X800-XFFF, they only switch based on $1xxx $5xxx it makes more sense.
I was using Coyote's website only because I didn't realize I could just upload them to the Allentown pinball site I started years ago - they seem to be happy living there and much more convenient for me to just upload them. You can see I like the minimalist approach to creating websites.

Thank You! I'm running the 6 digit displays and will see if I can combine and make a set this evening. This note would be good to add within the Readme file in the ZIP

The addressing of those ROM's on the Stern and Bally boards is kind of odd. Ran into that and made more work when I was doing on some work with the Elektra code. Splitting those images to disassemble and then trying to recreate adds extra steps.... When I get back to that plan on scripting more.

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I write batch files to automate much of this with the help of a handy program called 'splits' - assemble the code, run splits to split into chunks, then take those chunks and rename properly to test in pinmame.
If I had to do it manually I probably wouldn't!
https://www.fourmilab.ch/splits/

This is another pretty cool tool for working with binary files.

https://www.hhdsoftware.com/free-hex-editor

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

https://sites.google.com/site/allentownpinball/galaxy-asm/METEOR64A-74A.ZIP?attredirects=0&d=1
The 7 digit version has all 3 file types (2716, 2732, and 27512 for weebly board). The 6 digit version is the 2716 only you combine in a dos window with:
copy /b meteor64a-u1.716 + meteor64a-u2.716 meteor64a-u2.732
copy /b meteor64a-u5.716 + meteor64a-u6.716 meteor64a-u6.732
It's a little confusing because if you know where in memory those chips go, it doesn't seem "correct" to combine them the way they are. (u1=$1000-$17ff, u2=$5000-$57ff, u5=$1800-$1fff, u6=$5800-$5fff). Since the sockets in a 2732 configuration cover X000-X7FF and X800-XFFF, they only switch based on $1xxx $5xxx it makes more sense.
I was using Coyote's website only because I didn't realize I could just upload them to the Allentown pinball site I started years ago - they seem to be happy living there and much more convenient for me to just upload them. You can see I like the minimalist approach to creating websites.

When you did all the code updates was the overall checksum recalculated and intact? Would like to confirm that built-in test is still valid for the version of code at the above link. I did burn a set of the 6 digit version on a pair of 2732 chips. The board boots and I get all the expected flashes but after that nothing on the game (LED is dim as normal). If the checksum is valid then I would expect it found all the images in the correct order and location in the memory map and validated the ROM is ok.

This was an unknown MPU-200 to start with that I rebuilt to use for testing new versions of code like this. It boots on the bench but obviously there is still an issue. If the checksum part is working then I'll focus on the rest of the board first. If that checksum is skipped then I'll double check and burn another set of EPROM's.

#82 3 years ago

Will try making a set of the originals and get the board up and running with those first. Just wasn't sure if the overall checksum was used yet or not. Totally understand about not doing it until the very end. Did the same thing when doing some work with the BackJack code I worked on.

#83 3 years ago

Made a set of original ROM images on a pair of 2732 chips and same issue. Board gets all 7 flashes and then is dimly lit. No lights for attract and can’t get into diagnostic. Definitely a board issue. Back on the bench it goes for trouble shooting. I have some ideas and will work to track down on the weekend. Looking forward to trying the new code.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 199.95
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtd-beta-testers-for-revised-version-of-meteor?tu=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.