the-shadow-ost.jpg
2598390-shadow1.jpg
alternate_baldwin.jpg
Shadow_Alternate_Translight.jpg
image.jpg
Shadow_1.jpg
shadow_translite_sample.jpg
shadow_translite.jpg
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 10 years ago

These are cool - when I first heard there was a Shadow pinball I thought maybe it'd be from the Howard Chaykin era. I read his Shadow comics and loved his artwork. In case you haven't seen his work, here's a link to a Google Image Search of it:
https://www.google.com/search?q=howard+chaykin+shadow&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=EoMFUpwlhZDJAbPNgWg&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1376&bih=712

#52 10 years ago

I say the Baldwin face stinks

#53 10 years ago

I've got some bad ideas for an alternate translite.

alternate_baldwin.jpgalternate_baldwin.jpg

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from bowz:

I'm also fine with Baldwin on the translite. What I'm not fine with is how horrible the speaker panel is. Somebody should make an alternate speaker panel-that thing would sell like crazy.

Yeah, I quickly discovered that the only way to do a new translite is to do the speaker panel too, it's bad enough right now with the faces and overdone typography, but when it doesn't match a new style above it then it's even worse!

Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

Have you watched the movie? I think an Art Deco grill that emulates The Shadow's personal taxi would would look cool as hell. The speaker cutouts could be the headlight visors.
If anyone would like to borrow the movie, send me a PM, I'll send it to you.

Hmm, I've seen the movie, but I don't recall what the inside of the taxi looks like. Didn't it come out on Blu-Ray recently? The DVD quality was terrible as I recall.

I will say this, they did a great job picking up things from the film. Like the Khan Multiball locks popping open just like the sarcophagus, that was a really nice touch.

#55 10 years ago

Aurich, it's your show if you decide to do it but I think it would be cool to keep it as an homage to both the movie and Chaykin's art. A few suggestions (just suggestion), It needs to be greenish/gray to blend with the art on the machine, it needs the Art Deco element (Deco cityescape or skyscrapers) remember the biggest element in art deco is symmetry. Lastly and perhaps most important tip is that "Less is More"..., the problem with the original translite is the fact that Baldwin's face is too prominent and too many minor characters were represented, I agree with you the shadow should have been upfront and Baldwin in the back. Here is a few ideas to start you off right.....by the way I included the original movie poster (soundtrack poster) which would have been a awesome translite to begin with. I included the fan shaped one because I think it looks cool. GL

2598390-shadow1.jpg2598390-shadow1.jpg the-shadow-ost.jpgthe-shadow-ost.jpg 2314810-shadow04_cov_ross.jpg2314810-shadow04_cov_ross.jpg

#56 10 years ago

I must be the only one that likes the original one that comes with the game

#57 10 years ago

Cool stuff, I like that comic cover

#58 10 years ago

Ugh, I want to just post my design right now, it's close, but I'm gonna stay disciplined and wait until it's ready. Either people will like it or it won't be what they wanted, all I can do is follow what feels right. I know it will go on my machine at the very least. Thanks for the suggestions and examples though, I'm totally open to inspiration. I feel like the direction is pretty set, but that's why I'm not showing it yet, I need to really know it's right. Sometimes you get deep in on a design and turn a 90° on something, and take it in a totally different direction before it's done.

I would call the art style kind of a blend of comic covers 1 and 3 above; somewhere between the hard line work of the first one (which is really colored-in, inked lines, traditional comic style), and the more painterly third one, which is more like Doug Watson's original translite. It's a combination of vector drawing, digital painting, and photographic manipulation. I definitely used the comics for inspiration on the pose and costume.

It's just The Shadow, no other people. Probably will stay that way, he's all I care about. I opted for a more full body pose in the end, so that there isn't a giant head. Like from the knees or so up. Night time city behind him. So basically I'd say if the idea of more of a homage to the comics appeals to you, then you'll hopefully like it. If you wanted something more true to the movie it might not be the right look for you.

I'm enjoying the conversation, and don't mean to be a tease, promise when I'm satisfied I'll show it, and hopefully won't have hyped it too much so that it's disappointing!

#59 10 years ago

Okay, I was googling Chaykin comics (thanks for the suggestion) and stumbled across this cover. I'd never seen it before, and my design doesn't feel like it really, different drawing style and tone, but still this could have been the inspiration. Similar pose, scarf flying, city in the background, it has the same elements. Don't read too much into it, but still, funny. Guess I'm gonna just say that makes me feel like I nailed the basic elements of the Shadow look, even if I think mine looks a lot better.

shadow-comic-pose.jpgshadow-comic-pose.jpg

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hey gweempose, here's a question for you (or maybe Robin): What are the rules for things like instruction cards and using things like the Bally logo? Be nice to make it look original and include the logo, but not sure if that would fall afoul of the Pinside guidelines.

I'm not sure on this one. I'd recommend shooting Robin a PM.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No high enough rez or quality to print, but thanks. Does anyone know the origin of that sketch? It's obviously not official, Doug Watson got The Shadow one done in one try (had to be approved since it's a licensed title) according to his interview in the excellent Pinball Magazine, which everyone should buy! Plus the odd recoloring of the movie logo. Still, it's an interesting image.
Just to give you an idea of what an image file should ideally look like, my 300 dpi translite design is 8025 × 5681 pixels. You're just going to be disappointed if you take something a lot smaller than that and blow it up to print, even without the JPEG artifacting. So that image might look big, but at 1600x1227 it's actually not really close.

Pretty sure that's Bill Sienkiewicz. He did the awesome Elektra: Assassin series and TONS of 80's comic book covers(my fave being Transformers #1) image.jpgimage.jpg

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from Jnewton:

Pretty sure that's Bill Sienkiewicz.

Ah! That totally makes sense. He's awesome, love just about anything he touches. I think I was first exposed to his art back in the day on New Mutants. The Elektra mini-series was great too though. They're aren't enough people in comics who play it fast and loose like he does, super expressive style. It was especially groundbreaking back in the day, nowadays you see more experimenting.

I'm going to collect some much, *much* needed time away from the computer for a few days. Beach lounging, taking kids in the pool, and consuming copious amounts of alcohol. I'm sure I won't be able to resist checking in with Pinside from my phone, I'm pretty dang hooked on this place, but I probably won't have artwork ready to share until later in the week because of it.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Ah! That totally makes sense. He's awesome, love just about anything he touches. I think I was first exposed to his art back in the day on New Mutants. The Elektra mini-series was great too though. They're aren't enough people in comics who play it fast and loose like he does, super expressive style. It was especially groundbreaking back in the day, nowadays you see more experimenting.

I'm going to collect some much, *much* needed time away from the computer for a few days. Beach lounging, taking kids in the pool, and consuming copious amounts of alcohol. I'm sure I won't be able to resist checking in with Pinside from my phone, I'm pretty dang hooked on this place, but I probably won't have artwork ready to share until later in the week because of it.

This thread has piqued my interest because I was searching for something different a little while ago and even posted in another forum about it. I don't hate the original, I think Watson did a great job, it is just the artwork on the playfield and plastics give the game a different style that could be so much more if based on the source material and not the movie.

Every great Shadow pulp/comic cover has the Shadow on it and not Lamont Cranston the alter ego as the focal point. Ironically, the Shadow, because of the movie tie in, becomes regulated to a shadow on the translite.

The speaker panel really effects the artwork negatively. Mike (Miguel351 on here) was going to work on both speaker panel and translite art when he had more free time from work. So I am glad somebody else has taken up the cause.

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Every great Shadow pulp/comic cover has The Shadow on it and not Lamont Cranston the alter ego as the focal point. Ironically, The Shadow, because of the movie tie in, becomes regulated to a Shadow on the translite.

Yes! I have nothing but love for Doug Watson, and I know he did his painting the way he did because of the licensing agreements. He was contractually obligated to get that big ol' Alec Baldwin face up in the mix. And it's not the worst really, it's got a certain James Bond kinda vibe.

But all I want is The Shadow!

#65 10 years ago

i just want this one

// Error: Image 122714 not found //

#66 10 years ago

I have that one colonel. It fits. I just bought a different one, but am anxious to see what comes from aurich.

#67 10 years ago

I have the translite design done I think, I'm working on the speaker panel now. My laser cut aluminum template just shipped (snuck in a little project for Tommy fans on the sheet too!), and I ordered some mylar to try and do the second clear layer for over the DMD. Should have all that next week to do some testing with.

I've gotta fly to NY for business on Monday, be gone most of the week, so looking a little iffy to post something up before that. Even if I get it done this weekend I don't really want to start a topic I won't have time to keep an eye on and respond to.

So definitely still working on this, it's coming along, but gonna have to tease for a bit longer still.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I have that one colonel. It fits. I just bought a different one, but am anxious to see what comes from aurich.

sell me yours if you don't need it anymore! lol

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

sell me yours if you don't need it anymore! lol

If the new one fits the bill, i'll contact you.

#70 10 years ago

Guys, here's another option I put together. It features prominent themes from the game (obviously, right?). I'm no artist, but I think it's an improvement over the stock one. If anyone's interested in one just hit me up and I'll see about running some off the Xerox!

shadow_translite_alt.jpgshadow_translite_alt.jpg

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from devlman:

Guys, here's another option I put together. It features prominent themes from the game (obviously, right?). I'm no artist, but I think it's an improvement over the stock one. If anyone's interested in one just hit me up and I'll see about running some off the Xerox!

Dude, I just scared my girlfriend busting out laughing so hard.

#72 10 years ago

Same here. I just busted out laughing and my kids came running in wanting to know what was going on

#73 10 years ago

I want one for my wall!!!!!!!!!!

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from devlman:

Well f---, there goes all my hard work, I'm not gonna be able to top that.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from devlman:

Guys, here's another option I put together.

How much time would it take you to create a matching speaker panel?

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

How much time would it take you to create a matching speaker panel?

I dunno, maybe 3-4 weeks for the initial concept sketches?

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from devlman:

I dunno, maybe 3-4 weeks for the initial concept sketches?

There's my window to pull this off before your design crushes my market!

#78 10 years ago

maybe a sneak peek?

#79 10 years ago

maybe a sneak peek?

shadow-sneak.jpgshadow-sneak.jpg

#80 10 years ago

Looks promising

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from Keebler:

Looks promising

I'm really just not happy with the speaker panel yet, starting design rev 3 on it. It's a tricky space to work with, the speaker holes and DMD hole just don't leave a ton of space to work on anything all that solid, and I really want it to feel tied to the translite. Not that you can see squat in my intentionally too-small photo there, but I'm scrapping what's in that photo I think.

Getting on a plane at 7am tomorrow ( ) so I might mess with it a bit tonight, but then it's gonna be the end of the week before I can touch it again.

Sorry to be such a tease, but hopefully you guys like it when I finally show it.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Not that you can see squat in my intentionally too-small photo there, but I'm scrapping what's in that photo I think.

Yeah well the layout and the colors look pretty good from what you can see, but like you said that's not much. I wish I had a Shadow to put this on when you're done, I'm sure it will be nice. After seeing other alternative translites in detail I'm not very impressed.

#83 10 years ago

For the speaker panel: How about just photo shopping the faces out and putting 2 phurba daggers in the middle bottom facing away from each other...done deal.

#84 10 years ago

It could be like the front of the taxi.. speakers for the headlights.

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

For the speaker panel: How about just photo shopping the faces out and putting 2 phurba daggers in the middle bottom facing away from each other...done deal.

It wouldn't match the new translite at all, wouldn't work. All good, I'm enjoying the design challenge, not worried about it in the slightest. Sometimes it take a few revs of something to get where you need to be, it's just the process.

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from devlman:

What's even funnier about this post to me is that if I was drawing one it would likely look similar only mine wouldn't be as good or as legible!

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

Here's the file if anyone wants to make some.

This dude has seriously had his nose broken a few times...

#88 10 years ago

Back from NY, had a package waiting for me with my laser cut aluminum template for cutting the speaker panels:

lasercut-template.jpglasercut-template.jpg

#89 10 years ago

When do you think you will be sharing with us the final design?

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

When do you think you will be sharing with us the final design?

Soon! The translite is ready, just trying to wrap up the speaker panel. I have it sketched out, just needs some polish. I got sucked into a client project while I was in NY that's on a tight deadline, so probably need to knock that out first before I can go back to playing though. Hey, pays for the pinball, no complaints here, but sorry it's delaying things.

#91 10 years ago

Looking forward to your reveal... I like the original, but next to other titles, you see why many lament the design... The art deco feel of this game makes it very unique and I think incorporating this to some degree will separate the previous attempts..

#92 10 years ago

I used a whodunnit speaker panel with the alternate translight for everyones info Be interested to see what get designed though!

shadow.jpgshadow.jpg

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from devlman:

Hillarious mockup I think it could use a sunshine in one corner and a small patch of ice

Run 1 of 1000 off of your xerox and I will take one signed as a novelty =D

#94 10 years ago

Im super pumped to see the final. I don't mind the original back glass and speaker panel but a fresh new look would also be pretty cool.

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from Rav:

I used a whodunnit speaker panel with the alternate translight for everyones info Be interested to see what get designed though!

Oh nice, that's actually a big help, easily the best alternate setup I've seen so far!

I'd love to put a Bally logo on mine, but then it gets into some legal waters that I probably don't want to be navigating unfortunately.

Don't be mad, but the little side project I did for Tommy owners will probably go up first, since it's here and requires less work.

1 week later
#96 10 years ago

I'm going to try and not spam the whole forum with this in my excitement, but I *finally* put up a thread with the pics of my translite design, and I wanted to update this thread since I've been teasing about it for weeks now I think.

If you're interested: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-new-original-alternate-translite-speaker-panel-cards

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from devlman:

You might want to make that dagger 3 sided, to fit the theme a little better. Rest of it, is spot on.

Btw, what was done for Tommy?

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Btw, what was done for Tommy?

I had room on the sheet of aluminum I was laser cutting for the Shadow speaker panel cutting guide, so I did a little run of propellors to replace the crappy stock plastic ones on Tommy. Designed them for a friend of mine who was looking for something fun to upgrade on his Tommy and did a little limited run as long as I was at it for Pinsiders. Made 9 sets, one for my friend, sold 7, and donated the last one to Don's Tommy that Pinside bought for him.

Thread here if you're curious: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-mod-laser-cut-aluminum-plane-propellors

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I had room on the sheet of aluminum I was laser cutting for The Shadow speaker panel cutting guide, so I did a little run of propellors to replace the crappy stock plastic ones on Tommy. Designed them for a friend of mine who was looking for something fun to upgrade on his Tommy and did a little limited run as long as I was at it for Pinsiders. Made 9 sets, one for my friend, sold 7, and donated the last one to Don's Tommy that Pinside bought for him.
Thread here if you're curious: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-mod-laser-cut-aluminum-plane-propellors

Not bad. I have the RC plane ones in mine. Love them. Really adds to the game and you can actually see the propellers.

#100 10 years ago

Aurich what kinda price were you thinking on the set?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtd-alternate-shadow-translite/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.