4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SealClubber
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
    IMG_2558.JPG

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

I'm thinking about buying an Escalera to move games up and down stairs. I got a quote on a new one, but I'm curious about used ones.

I don't actually expect to find a used one, but i figure it's worth mentioning. I would certainly buy one given the chance.

More importantly, I'm wondering what these typically sell for used in case I buy one and would ever want to sell it. Just trying to help justify the purchase, really.

#2 4 years ago

Check CL, that's where I found mine. Be patient, you might have to watch out for a while

#3 4 years ago

Good luck, mot. If you have to buy a new one, Larry Kitchen is the guy. It's money well spent.

#5 4 years ago

I've talked to him. I only worded the topic "WTB" so no one would think I was selling one.

I'm mostly just trying to figure out how much value it would lose if I buy one.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

I've talked to him. I only worded the topic "WTB" so no one would think I was selling one.
    I'm mostly just trying to figure out how much value it would lose if I buy one.

How much not farking up your back worth?

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

How much not farking up your back worth?

A lot. My back is still good. I'd like to keep it that way!

#8 4 years ago

I've been trying to find a used Escalera myself and it's been a long search. The couple that I have seen used in the past 6 months were maybe $300-$500 less then a new one based off the sellers asking price. If a used one needs a new battery there's another $100 or so right there. In the end it might be better buying new.

If I don't find a used one for decent price by spring I'll be buying a new one from Larry. I've had the opportunity to use a friends Escalera a couple times and it makes moving pins so much easier. I've always said the only bad thing about this hobby is moving the machines due to their weight.

Overall an Escalera really helps minimize the stress and wear on your body while moving pins.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

A lot. My back is still good. I'd like to keep it that way!

then its worth a new one if you don't want to wait on a used one regardless of the loss if you sell it one day.

#10 4 years ago

I have 16 stairs to go up or down and the Escalera has allowed me to do everything on my own. I can't recommend it enough to save your back.

#11 4 years ago

Don't skimp on a few hundred bucks. This thing will be a lifelong investment and the amount of upside to your life is amazing. I do 34 stairs on my own. And do NOT get smaller than the 66.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

And do NOT get smaller than the 66.

Larry Recommended the 66 and that's what I'm thinking about, but I've got to ask why you make that recommendation...

#13 4 years ago

Mine is supposed to be here today. 4 weeks waiting. Sheesh. Can't wait to use it. I got the fork and big wheel attachments.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

Larry Recommended the 66 and that's what I'm thinking about, but I've got to ask why you make that recommendation...

Just recently got a 66" one from Larry with the wheel attachment. It's a fantastic product. Pricey but if you plan on being in the hobby long term it's worth every penny if you have steps to deal with. Using brute strength or a cheap dolly will at some point result in you getting hurt, a game getting damaged, your house getting damaged or all three at the same time.

If you get one that is shorter then 66" you have a lot less leverage.

#15 4 years ago

I found a used on on Ebay. I think with shipping it cost me about $950 or so. Works great but I needed to buy a battery for it. I can't imagine not having one. It did take me almost a month to find one of diligent searching.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

Yes, as mentioned, leverage.

#17 4 years ago

I am also currently looking for one of these. I had the one listed above agreed upon down to $1200 to pick up next Saturday the 31st but was too slow and he sold it to someone else the next day. I now have the cash out of the bank, and no Escalera to buy.

I figured it was open season since the OP seemed like he was settled on buying new.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from DarkWizard:

I am also currently looking for one of these. I had the one listed above agreed upon down to $1200 to pick up next Saturday the 31st but was too slow and he sold it to someone else the next day.

Seller made no mention he had another buyer lined up. I picked that one up last Friday night. Sorry man.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from ff6735:

Seller made no mention he had another buyer lined up. I picked that one up last Friday night. Sorry man.

No problem. I was too slow. That explains why he stopped responding to me Friday morning.

#20 4 years ago

I picked up a used escalera off philly CL about a month ago. It's from 2001, but is in very good shape, new battery. Price was too low to turn down...$400!! It's the same model that is still sold today for $1700, MS-66. Guy only had it listed for four hours...somtimes you get lucky.

#21 4 years ago

I ordered an MS-66 from Larry Kitchen. Now I just can't wait to get it!

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

I picked up a used escalera off philly CL about a month ago. It's from 2001, but is in very good shape, new battery. Price was too low to turn down...$400!! It's the same model that is still sold today for $1700, MS-66. Guy only had it listed for four hours...somtimes you get lucky.

Well, I don't need it immediately. But with the Hobbit on the way and the reports of its weight. I have a feeling it might come in handy.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

Awesome, you are going to love it. Already used mine a couple of times and I can't imagine living with out it.

#24 4 years ago

I have a CL want add up and have been checking CL.

Any better CL searches out there than Total Craigslist?

#25 4 years ago

Purchased mine from Larry and couldn't be happier. Well worth the money.

#26 4 years ago

I moved a game in the snow using my crappy dolly this weekend, and I was on the fence about buying an Escalera until then. Hopefully, I'll never have to do that again. Big Wheels, baby!

#27 4 years ago

I use the standard appliance dolly and find it works OK but would definitely consider the Escalera. My only concern is that I have landing (itw a new house so pretty standard) and need to make the turn. How easy is it to turn it on a 40" x 40" landing?

Thanks,
    Dave

#28 4 years ago

It's easy, just stand it up and spin it.

#29 4 years ago

If you are using your appliance dolly and it makes the turn then the Escalera will as well.

larry@flipnoutpinball.com

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

Excellent choice of Escalera and dealer! Kitch is the man!

Brad

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

Excellent choice of Escalera and dealer! Kitch is the man!
    Brad

Larry Kitchen is the best. Pick up in person if you can, he has a great place!

#32 4 years ago

Lucked into a used 55" last fall...I can see the point about leverage, but I also do not have an issue with this size (and think it has actually helped since I am short and some of the spaces were tight).

Larry also helped me out with a new battery and charger and was great to work with, I will definitely be buying a new one from him if I ever need a replacement.

#33 4 years ago

Wow I only paid 500 for mine with the big wheel attachment and a new battery (it was on CL for almost 2 weeks before I saw it) I have seen quite a few for under 1000. If you are going to buy a new one the big wheel attachment is a must if you ever need to go over grass/dirt, I would also get the forklift attachment that way you can use it for other projects. No matter what you pay its worth it, the freedom to move games by yourself is worth a ton.

#34 4 years ago

Agreed. I just used my craigslist score Escalera last night unloading my 1st EM purchase. I have a 10" lifted truck so loading/unloading pins has been a serious undertaking. (Just me, the wife and 2 daughters who aren't much help in the heavy lifting category) It was awesome, the winch worked fantastic and it was so easy. It's like a pinball elevator. I bought it the week before Christmas and it's paid for itself already. I think it's the RLA-EW model
    Should've bought one 5 years ago!

2 months later
    #35 4 years ago

It seems people recommend the 66" model for moving pinball machines. Is a 60" really too short?

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

It seems people recommend the 66" model for moving pinball machines. Is a 60" really too short?

Get a tape measure and go to some stairs. Lock your tape at 60" and put the end of it 3 stairs down (You will be about 3 stairs away when your moving a pin) then try 66". I think you will see why people recommend the 66". The taller one can make turns difficult.

If you are going to constantly making tight turn I would consider the short one. If you only were going to use it up straight stairs with no tight turns at the top or bottom (and you were tall) I would get the tall one. Everything in-between get the 66". I am about 6'-4" and have the 66" and have no problem with it.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

you could probably get away with it, but 10% off the length simply takes away 10% of your leverage. at least its not a squared relationship. i have the 66 and it is just so sweet. 34 stairs i do. i think the handles of the 60 would be about in line with the top of the machine so everything may feel a little cramped as well. If you're only doing a few steps then would probably be ok, but if its high use then 66 for sure.

#38 4 years ago

I have a 72 and freaking love it! More inches = more leverage!

#39 4 years ago

If I buy new then I will go for 66". I have a line on a used 60" so just wondering if I should pursue it.

#40 4 years ago

I just bought a Escalera with the fork attachment and it is simply the shit ! Glad I picked one up .

IMG_2558.JPG
    #41 4 years ago

+1 on the forklift attachment being awesome

image.jpg

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

If I buy new then I will go for 66". I have a line on a used 60" so just wondering if I should pursue it.

I know each person and location is different, that is one reason that Kitch likes to talk to everyone before they make a purchase so he can make sure of the application. That being said, for anyone that hasn't seen them he has some good videos showing him moving a pinball machine with a 66" Escalera:

http://www.flipnoutpinball.com/#!escalera/cee5

Brad

#43 4 years ago

I don't think I can afford one LOL
    cnj.craigslist.org link

#44 4 years ago

I love the forklift and the pinball slab on mine. Just wish the front wheels on the lift were bigger, to get over bums in the concrete slabs and door thresholds easier when carting a game flat instead of upright.

Bought all that + the tow hitch (works brilliantly) direct from Larry. Happy as can be with Larry's service.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

975.00 is a good deal

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

975.00 is a good deal

Quoted from Lovef2k:

cnj.craigslist.org link

escalera manhandler stair climbing hand truck - $97500 (berkeley heights nj)

$975 is a fantastic deal! $97500 is not such a good deal

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

I love the forklift and the pinball slab on mine. Just wish the front wheels on the lift were bigger, to get over bums in the concrete slabs and door thresholds easier when carting a game flat instead of upright.
    Bought all that + the tow hitch (works brilliantly) direct from Larry. Happy as can be with Larry's service.

You need the big wheel attachment!! I use that attachment more than any of the others - makes thresholds a piece of cake!

#48 4 years ago

It's that front set of wheels on the lift that don't cut it. But, if they were bigger, you'd have a harder time getting the forks under the game.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from Toucanf16:

cnj.craigslist.org link
    escalera manhandler stair climbing hand truck - $97500 (berkeley heights nj)
    $975 is a fantastic deal! $97500 is not such a good deal

Have to check it out, it's a 2 hour drive each way though.

#50 4 years ago

Don't rule out a LectroTruck......

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    The Flipper Room
    $ 218.00
    $ 269.00
    $ 70.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 249.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 139.00
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 33.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside