• Latest reply 10 years ago by kmerrell
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

miketeeth_lg.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I'm looking for a NIB or gently used HUO Tron Legacy pin. I have an idea of what I should expect to pay for a Pro, but having a harder time gauging what a fair price for an LE is. I would prefer an LE, but I am seeing a MUCH higher price for those.

#2 10 years ago

Any particular reason why you'd prefer the LE, other than just to have one?

If it's just a matter of the ramp lights, that'll finally be an option with Eli's kit once it's released.

Other than that.. there's not much that justifies the much higher price of the LE.
LED out the game for $60, get an LED OCD board to get rid of the ghosting .. buy the arcade mod, the Flynn sign, the light cycles .. and enjoy!

-Cyan

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from kmerrell:

I'm looking for a NIB or gently used HUO Tron Legacy pin. I have an idea of what I should expect to pay for a Pro, but having a harder time gauging what a fair price for an LE is. I would prefer an LE, but I am seeing a MUCH higher price for those.

Definitely a lot of good deals on Pro's have been floating around... much better bang for your buck over the LE. I just wish Stern would have changed the cabinet artwork.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Cyan:

Any particular reason why you'd prefer the LE, other than just to have one?
If it's just a matter of the ramp lights, that'll finally be an option with Eli's kit once it's released.
Other than that.. there's not much that justifies the much higher price of the LE.
LED out the game for $60, get an LED OCD board to get rid of the ghosting .. buy the arcade mod, the Flynn sign, the light cycles .. and enjoy!
-Cyan

LE's ramp lighting FX are tied to the code (Eli's kit is cool but it won't be the same)
LE also has:
-Drop targets & different TRON inserts
-Disc changes from Red (Battle Rinzler) to Blue (Disc Multiball)
-Moving Regognizer & different inserts
-Glowing blue apron windows for 2x scoring
-Silver outlines on inserts
-Spell DAFT PUNK on the ramps & End of Line Multiball

#5 10 years ago

Location might help

#6 10 years ago

I beg to differ re: Eli's kit - I've seen it installed, and it absolutely changes with the modes.

You're right in that it doesn't do the fade ins and outs, or some of the flashing effects that the LE does -- tbh, that's more a reflection of the fact that Eli and Herg haven't seen exactly how the LE behaves during game play.

.. someone should send them video of the different modes .. I mean, the code's there, tweaking it is almost easy by comparison .. if either of them had the time to deal with it.

The moving recognizer's not a plus. The silver outlines on the inserts, I'm not a huge fan .. but that's probably because I'm always staring at Pros and that's how I expect them to look now.

Agreed on the drop targets and the additional modes, but are those worth 4 grand at this point?

They're getting a -little- harder to find now, but they're not IM hard .. yet.

-Cyan

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LE's ramp lighting FX are tied to the code (Eli's kit is cool but it won't be the same)

No Eli's will be tied into the game as well, better than the LE is.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Cyan:

I beg to differ re: Eli's kit - I've seen it installed, and it absolutely changes with the modes.
You're right in that it doesn't do the fade ins and outs, or some of the flashing effects that the LE does -- tbh, that's more a reflection of the fact that Eli and Herg haven't seen exactly how the LE behaves during game play.
.. someone should send them video of the different modes .. I mean, the code's there, tweaking it is almost easy by comparison .. if either of them had the time to deal with it.
The moving recognizer's not a plus. The silver outlines on the inserts, I'm not a huge fan .. but that's probably because I'm always staring at Pros and that's how I expect them to look now.
Agreed on the drop targets and the additional modes, but are those worth 4 grand at this point?
They're getting a -little- harder to find now, but they're not IM hard .. yet.
-Cyan

Hey, I've got my Tron LE so what's done is done....if you're in the market for a Tron, get whichever one makes you happy...people often say "Eh the LE is just the ramp lights and you can mod a Pro to be the same" ...just pointing out that the LE has more differences than just the ramp lights - and that those lights behave differently than the Pro kit.

Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

No Eli's will be tied into the game as well, better than the LE is.

At this point it's purely speculation and/or subjective. I never said they weren't tied into the game. I said they weren't the same as the LE. In any case, I've been enjoying Tron LE's lit ramps with programming as Lyman intended for a few years now.

#9 10 years ago

Hey Kmerrell. I just sent you a PM. I have to relocate and as such, have a unique pro up for sale. It's on the marketplace and I'm in western Canada. Not sure your location, but feel free to take a look and let me know your thoughts.

#10 10 years ago

Ugh, here we go again. Pro owners defending their machines and shooting down the LE's. Why does everything have to be a competition in this hobby?

#11 10 years ago

I'm in Nashville, BTW.

I was interested in the additional modes and drop targets more than the lighting since mods get it most of the way there. The lighting is definitely appreciated though. I do not value those differences at an additional $4k though, that is why I was trying to make sure that was actually the going rate.

Sounds like the Pro may be where I am leaning.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from kmerrell:

I'm in Nashville, BTW.
I was interested in the additional modes and drop targets more than the lighting since mods get it most of the way there. The lighting is definitely appreciated though. I do not value those differences at an additional $4k though, that is why I was trying to make sure that was actually the going rate.
Sounds like the Pro may be where I am leaning.

Yeah it's probably gonna be tough to get an LE away from someone for less than 10k. As long as I still like pinball, mine's never leaving. If $$$ is an issue, get a Pro.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Ugh, here we go again. Pro owners defending their machines and shooting down the LE's. Why does everything have to be a competition in this hobby?

...and LE owners marginalizing Eli's kit. Personally, I'm glad both choices are available.

Quoted from Rarehero:

At this point it's purely speculation and/or subjective.

Subjective, yes, but speculation, no. I have Eli's kit in my Pro, and I can assure you, they do respond to the game. They are not intended to fool anyone into thinking a Pro is actually an LE, and as such they do light differently than LE. I have seen video of the LE, and I have no motivation to change the current operation of Eli's lighting to match that of the LE.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

LOL, its always going to be one way or the other. Pinball has definitely become a very personal competition! Your either in the WoZ clique or the MoPLE clique, the Pro clique or the LE clique, Stern or JJP... its so fun to be in high school again!

I always prefer the LE but sometimes it is hard to justify. Like I said before if Tron LE had unique artwork like MopLE or Back in Black there would definitely be no question.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

...and LE owners marginalizing Eli's kit. Personally, I'm glad both choices are available.

As the first person in this thread that mentioned the kit, I said it was COOL!!!! LOL...but - DIFFERENT. How is that marginalizing? Is it not the truth?

Quoted from herg:

Subjective, yes, but speculation, no. I have Eli's kit in my Pro, and I can assure you, they do respond to the game.

I never said it didn't! I know Eli's kit is not static EL wire. I also know that it does it's own thing and doesn't have the same FX as the LE does, which are tied into Lyman's code for very specific choreographed FX.

Like I said. COOL. But. DIFFERENT.

To make everyone happy I have burned my LE into a pile of ash and bought a Pro.

#16 10 years ago

Tron is a game that gets a lot of the LE vs pro debate. Mainly because it has so many mods that can be added on to the pro. The real question is do you place a 4k+ premium on what you're willing to pay for the game? It's a very subjective question.

But what do I know, I'm looking for a BSM.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I don't think Greg was marginalizing the kit. All he said was it's run by the game code and how Lyman intended it. I know exactly what he means and it just behaves in a way that probably cannot be replicated. I know Eli's will offer more options and the sky's the limit since it can be custom designed. I own a LE and seen video's of Eli's kit in action. It's never going to run off the code like the LE's so they will always be different. Not saying that it's makes it better or worse and it is what it is.

There are always people looking for LE's and if LE owners were that worried about Eli's kit they could sell their machine now and by pro's while pocketing a few grand. I for one never look down on the pro owners or act like they have a inferior game, but it's amazing how many pro owners do the opposite and shoot down the LE's acting like it's no different.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LE also has:

You forgot the Chrome trims: rails, lockdown bars, legs and hinges. Those worth a few hundreds, right?

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

I don't think Greg was marginalizing the kit.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Quoted from Cyan:

Between Rarehero's comment and Cyan's response, I must have made a bit of a deduction, which seems to not be what Rarehero meant to say. I apologize.

Eli's kit doesn't run off the game code, but with direct access to lamp states, flasher activity, and solenoid activity, it's not like it's just flashing randomly. If the goal was to make it look like the LE, you could get pretty darned close with it.

The drop targets and Daft Punk multiball are obviously very significant differences in the two. The other differences are, in my opinion, pretty minimal. That's why I bought a Pro.

To others, those differences (including the limited numbers of the LE) are obviously worth a good deal of extra money. I'd rather have an extra game, myself.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LE also has:

-Pro has high rez decals compared to dithered screened art on the LE.
-LE has 3d translite (awesome), new Pro has chicks (3d translite available for $300)
-LE has chrome trim (I like, some don't)
-Glowing blue apron windows can be exactly replicated on the Pro
-Pro has red LED, LE has plasma
-Pro has individual lamps so you can pick the insert colors to your liking (like keeping LC orange-ish and making CLU yellow). In the LE they all have cool white LED's, CLU and LC are the same color.

The best features of the LE for me personally were the drop targets and the ramp lights. From what I can tell, Eli's kit will be a huge upgrade, even if it's not exactly LE style.

If I had an LE I'd for sure keep it (whoops, sold mine), but if I was buying, hard to justify the price difference. But considering resale value will most likely hold, go with LE if you can afford it so you get all the features. But the Pro is hardly a watered down experience. The cab looks way better and I like the inserts better with my own colors. Just need Eli's kit...

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from kmerrell:

I would prefer an LE,

Teekee showing one for sale on mrpinball.com today.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

Teekee showing one for sale on mrpinball.com today.

... and a Pro!

#24 10 years ago

Just emailed

#25 10 years ago

Seems like theres alot of resentment for tron LE when people start compare pricing/features vs pro. i mean it even has lower rankings than the pro but all the pro owners try to make there tron just like the LE? i dont get it...

#26 10 years ago

I'm an LE owner and I don't think the LE will ever reach higher than the PRO on the Top 100. Although I have voted highly for the LE on the Pinside Top 100.

The reality is the LE is the more superior model between the two versions if you were to put each of them beside one another, unmodded. However the problem lies with that there are only 400 total LE's floating around and probably well over 1000+ Pro's that have been produced over the various runs Sterns has done. So with that being said more Pro owners are going to rate the Pro version since that is what they have. What pro owner is going to give a 10+ rating to the LE version that they don't own...and vise versa.

As far as Eli's kit goes. Yes, it's cool and it will be a great mod whenever it becomes available. But the question is when. However for those wanting instant gratification with the lit ramps, the LE is the way to go. How many weeks, months, years has his kit been in development?

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

Seems like theres alot of resentment for TRON LE when people start compare pricing/features vs pro. i mean it even has lower rankings than the pro but all the pro owners try to make there tron just like the LE? i dont get it...

The rankings of Tron Pro and Tron LE were artificially skewed so they have to be taken with a grain of salt.

As far as I can tell the only LE mod most Pro owners want is the ramp lighting. Most of the other mods are independent of either machine, i.e. arcade mod, lightcycles, flynn sign, etc.

Is the LE the better machine? Other than a few minor features which are user preference (such as chrome trim or cab decals) the answer is yes.

#29 10 years ago

Sounds like we got a standoff between Pro and LE owners.

Time for an arm wrestling contest to settle which is better, Im challenging RobT first round, lets get it on! Your next JarJar!

miketeeth_lg.jpgmiketeeth_lg.jpg

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Sounds like we got a standoff between Pro and LE owners.
Time for an arm wrestling contest to settle which is better, Im challenging RobT first round, lets get it on! Your next JarJar!

Shouldn't one of the guys in photo have obviously fake wannabe muscles? That way we can tell who the pro owners are.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

-Pro has high rez decals compared to dithered screened art on the LE.

Not all Pros...just the last few runs. That being said, if I really cared about it - I could buy some Pro cabinet decals and then my LE has a high res cab. Hey, if you can mod a Pro, I can mod an LE!

#32 10 years ago

Both great! I bought a totally tweaked pro from BR, the $ difference almost covered my ACDC premium. Happy with what I did. If I had bought NIB LE when first released , I would have kept. No wrong choices , where prices are now, it's a matter of what's important to you. I doubt you will regret getting the LE, or a tweaked pro, and another great pin.

#33 10 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I'll probably be pulling the trigger on one of the offers I have received in the morning.

Now... off to decide on my mods

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-tron-legacy-pro-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.