Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,728 posts
  • 378 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by Saveleaningtower
  • Topic is favorited by 133 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20210820_215545_229 (resized).jpg
    received_485380452578893 (resized).jpeg
    received_3579968328894381 (resized).jpeg
    received_279162740544666 (resized).jpeg
    905ACA48-CA97-49C6-A3B9-8A21AAEDFBF7 (resized).jpeg
    F68DC7AB-6F53-4012-8590-E088B6F1BF8F (resized).jpeg
    received_717922038851452 (resized).jpeg
    130290158_415370666500372_4862365269764310331_o (resized).jpg
    130093817_415370573167048_5978888051996334066_o (resized).jpg
    130285054_415370363167069_6888957543667603944_o (resized).jpg
    159337784_474594857244619_2553018523739955010_o (resized).jpg
    received_1570231709845728 (resized).jpeg
    received_270078641360369 (resized).jpeg
    received_2758070851123072 (resized).jpeg
    received_724064391599053 (resized).jpeg
    received_896680167782401 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylor34.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Looking to buy a Super Chexx bubble hockey in the KC area. Had one a couple years ago when the kids were little, now they're older and I want to get one back. Message me if you've got one to sell. Thanks

EDIT: Found one, turned into unofficial thread as requested

Pictures of my original CHEXX upgraded to NHL plus LED lighting upgrade details here:

http://gameroominfo.com/2016/11/07/bubble-hockey-lighting-upgrade/

I've put up a general bubble hockey guide here:

http://gameroominfo.com/bubble-hockey-guide/

Cleaning your bubble hockey:

http://gameroominfo.com/2016/12/06/clean-chexx-bubble-hockey/

Common Chexx parts here:

http://gameroominfo.com/2016/11/30/common-chexx-bubble-hockey-parts/

Replacing your players here:

http://gameroominfo.com/2016/11/29/replace-chexx-bubble-hockey-players/

Removing the ice here:

http://gameroominfo.com/2017/10/10/removing-ice-chexx-bubble-hockey/

Replacing a gearbox here:

http://gameroominfo.com/2017/10/10/replacing-gearbox-chexx-bubble-hockey/

New Super Chexx Pro:

http://gameroominfo.com/2017/10/26/super-chexx-pro-bubble-hockey-released/

How to add names/numbers to your players:

http://gameroominfo.com/2017/10/17/putting-numbers-names-chexx-bubble-hockey-players/

Hopefully these help someone out.

Now selling chexx cup holders as well. Email me at [email protected] if you’re interested in a red, blue, or black pair. See the picture for the colors.
    F1C4F1AA-204E-4C55-9E36-1F8EE2A15105 (resized).jpeg

865B12B0-DB44-4E48-9354-78CA186ED3D0 (resized).jpeg
    #4 7 years ago

I had one a couple years ago, loved it but the kids were too little so I sold it. Now they're big enough to play, hence why I'm trying to find one again. I'm surprised there aren't more around on craigslist, that thing wasn't easy to sell, took a month to sell my super chexx for $800 2 years ago. If I want to drive I can buy one pretty easily but I'd rather not go too far.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

If you want to save a few bucks the original Chexx is a great option. I sold mine before a basement remodel, but I'd buy one back if one was for sale locally. I painted mine to be Gretzky (82-83 Oilers) vs Lemieux (92-93 Penguins). The bottom picture was actually the sideboard, which was never installed.

100_1630.jpg 85 KB

GretzkyvsLemieux.png 33 KB

Yeah, I've thought about an original chexx but I'd like to have the shots on goal if I'm going to spend the money. Other than electronics they're basically all the same.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

I want one too now. I'll pay $3 more than Taylor34 is offering and am willing to drive 500 feet farther than he's willing to go.

Haha, nice. I was excited for a second when I saw 26 posts, then I read the thread and realized that there's no soup for me.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Super chexx can be had brand new for about $2500.
    I'm actually thinking about selling my HS & Pinbot to fund one. Cool games.

Actually brand new you can get one for $2295 if you don't care about the coin door (which most people wouldn't). I did have one offer, someone offered me one for $2k (not on pinside)...there's no way that I'd pay $2k for one when a brand new one is only a few hundred more without all the scratches and dings that these things seem to get. That's the hard part, finding a seller in touch with reality. $1500 for a nice one seems reasonable if it's less than 10 years old.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

This is probably obvious, but this game is most fun when you have others around your same still level. It's not like pinball where you can always set a high score. Part of the reason I sold mine, besides the basement remodel, was that I simply didn't have any competition--I'm not even that good, but my friends all just seemed to really suck at the game.

That's definitely an issue with the game, though not as bad as foosball (which I had before). In foosball, if you're decent, no one will ever stand a chance. In Chexx there are random bounces that will sometimes allow the worse player to win before time runs out.

#36 7 years ago

There is a shot on goal counter on the scoreboard on the newer ones (Super Chexx).

#41 7 years ago

So I was watching this chexx over in St. Louis on ebay, thinking that it might go reasonable:

ebay.com link: SUPER CHEXX BUBBLE HOCKEY COMPLETELY SHOPPED OUT CUSTOM TEAMS OF YOUR CHOICE

WHAT THE HECK, lol. 5k to 7.5k plays on it, and people are spending brand new money on it. Mind blowing, lol.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

But it has custom painted players.

But the professionally done players + ice + side logos + etc + brand new machine is $2799. $1950 for a routed chexx + aftermarket painted players? Mind blown, lol. Or you could buy a much cheaper used one and buy the factory package with the players + ice + logos for $400.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

IMO it's better to go with the split base as well as the coin door. Figure some day down the road you're going to either move the game or sell it. If you move it, it's easier to do so with the split base. If you ever sell it, it would be best to have the split base and the coin door as your buying audience will be greater. Without the split base you take that potential buyer out of the equation that needs a split base in order to get it in his house and without the coin door you lose those who want the "authentic" look of an arcade game as well as someone that may want to buy it to put in a place of business.

I think that the home version though has volume and power on the outside of the game, which is huge plus. The coin op one I had you basically just unplugged every time, kind of annoying...maybe they've fixed that now. I'm guessing you could add the coin door to the home version if you ever needed to.

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

I have an original. I wish I could find the red grips and bumpers for it. Someone replaced mine with the newer black ones. The nice thing about not having the shots on goal is the scoreboard doesn't block as much of your view. Also I really like the old school synth sounds. You can easily turn on/off the game with the switch inside the coin door. I just leave it unlocked.
    A question for people who have an original, does your volume turn all the way down? Mine does not and I have double checked the schematics and all components and wiring are correct.

My problem is I have kids, can't leave the coin door open. That's why the home version is appealing to me at $200 cheaper.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

You don't need to leave the coin door open. You can turn the game on free play and all they need to do is press the "BOO/EJECT" button to start a game. When finished you can either just unplug the game or open the coin door and turn it off.

Would you want:

a) your 4 year old plugging or unplugging your game? Or opening the coin door to turn it off?

or

b) flipping an on/off switch

That's why it's preferable to me to have the home version. It makes sense, how annoying would it be if you had to plug or unplug your pinball machine every time you used it (I've done it, it's super annoying, lol)? Same thing...I'm not saying it's better, but for my particular situation it would be. I had a Super Chexx 2 1/2 years ago, and the plug in thing was an issue because of kids coming over and wanting to play when I'm not there. It was that experience which makes me favor the home if possible.

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from blimpey:

I leave my Super Chexx in the on position, and just use an x-10 module w/remote to turn it on and off.

That's what I would do if I acquired a coin-op one again, some sort of power device that makes it easy for the kids while keeping them safe.

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Now willing to pay $4 more than taylor34 is.

Haha, nice. At this point, doesn't seem to matter as nobody has one to sell anyways.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

If your wall are already finished, wouldn't it be difficult to wire in the "switched outlet". Would be a great solution if it was already done. I guess, if you're in an area where there is no moisture you might be able to run the wiring behind the baseboard. I guess you could also fish the wire directly above the outlet. Still...not up to code and not really an easy fix.
    Also to the best of my knowledge any cheep outlet can be turned into a switched outlet. They have a breakable connection between the two outlets. At that point you just need to wire them correctly.
    PS: Just to be a troll, with the debate over the MMR. Wouldn't you pay a premium for an original Chexx?

Haha, no, I wouldn't pay a premium for an original chexx. In fact I'd definitely discount it, I'd rather have the newer electronics and shots on goal (plus the newer ones look better in my opinion, some of the older bases and bubbles don't look so good anymore...you can replace them pretty easily, but you're better off with the newer one in the first place then).

1 week later
    #74 7 years ago
    Quoted from eharan:

I just purchased a machine from Mesz and must say that the room looks even better in person than the pictures show.
    Great seller and awesome game room / bar...all he needs to do to make it better is swap out the Penguins stuff for some NJ Devils gear!
    I also have a Superchexx that I bought 10 years ago, still a great game, only downfall is you have to have someone to play with. My son is now 9 and he is really getting into it, so it has been a blast. I recently upgraded it to the NHL version with Devils vs. Rangers, it came with new players, new ice, stickers for the base of both teams, stickers for the scoreboard with the names of the teams and sideboard stickers with the logos of all the NHL teams. Well worth the upgrade!
    Good luck in your search for one!

Well the search has been pretty lousy so far, lol. I may end up just ordering one.

4 weeks later
    2 weeks later
    #87 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I'd order one new.

I was actually thinking about it right after Christmas, but I've noticed that prices on the used ones are weakening again after shooting way up the past 3 months. I think if I am patient prices will continue to fall into the Spring back to their normal range, if I don't find one sooner.

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

Thats around the market price, give or take a few hundy..... remember, these games have been in production since the 80's, still available new, and most people buy them for keeps.

What's unfortunate (for me) is that there has been a random uptick in the price the last few months. When I sold mine a couple years ago, I struggled for a month to get $800...so there's definitely been greater interest than normal lately, because there definitely was ZERO interest a couple years ago.

I could buy a regular chexx for $1k right now but I think I'd rather have the super for the shots on goal and hopefully updated electronics. They don't play any different but if you're going to put a bunch of time into rehabbing it and keep it forever (like I would) then might as well start with the Super. I can't even locate a Super close to me though, which is somewhat unusual as there's usually always at least one on the local craigslist.

1 month later
    #108 7 years ago

Btw, I did actually find one of these a while back. Original chexx, that I then refurbed into an NHL version with a white top and black base. Also modded the coin slot to have a button so the kids could just push that to start a game, whoever said earlier in the thread that inserting coins wasn't an issue doesn't have little kids evidently...coin slot got jammed like 3 times before decided that was enough and fixed it right.

#118 7 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

The NHL teams from Chexx are only $99 now. Unless that is the price per player, but the picture shows 5.
    http://www.icegame.com/c-22-super-chexx.aspx

Yeah, it's $100 for all the players + goalie through chexx. Totally the way to go.

#124 7 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

Quality is lacking though, really disappointed with my purchase. The stickers they use dont match the color of the players, thus sticking out. If you want quality, go with the ebay link, if your like me and just dont care, ice players look good for what they are worth and a hell of alot cheaper.
    Say Taylor, how bout changing the title of this thread, super chexx owners

I actually thought my two teams (blackhawks and avalanche) weren't too bad from ICE. Missing numbers and names, but I can always add those. For $100 it's hard to complain, the funniest part of about the custom player guys is that he charges $120 just to provide base players for customization, more than it costs to get a whole team already painted directly from ICE. I would agree though, that if you wanted the best quality possible the ebay guy is probably it.

#127 7 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

I have talked to this man, and he buys his parts directly from chexx. For a new set of players @ $15.95 each comes to around $95 plus their shipping policy comes into play ( $50 for shipping and a refund back for overcharge of shipping). I dont think he is making a killing on them, but compensation from making and waiting for the order all takes time. He also has to bead blast every player so the paint sticks to the pieces.
    I honestly cant believe theres only a $5 mark up on these from the factory which for me made it a no brainer to grab a set no matter what the quality. When its all said and done, the only person who notices the lack of quality is the owner of the game, as the guest playing it only love the fact that their team is in the game and will never see past that.

He's definitely not making a killing on them, I'm sure it takes a long time to paint. He's actually missing out on even easier money, instead of going through all this work painting players, he should just sell custom decal sheets for each team...you tell him the numbers and names you want, he prints them out in the right colors/fonts and sends them to you. Probably could charge a decent amount and be way easier.

#129 7 years ago

Guess I'll have to make numbers and names on my own then. I think some people on the chexx forums have done it, I'll have to look it up.

2 years later
    #441 4 years ago

I added an article about updating your Super Chexx lighting from bulbs to LED's here:

Hopefully this helps someone who has been wondering about this.

2 months later
    #510 4 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

I know little to nothing about these things but my sister is wanting to purchase one for her husband. A couple of the places she has called have told her it will take a couple of weeks to order and another couple of weeks to ship. She is looking for the miracle on ice edition.
    My first question is, does anyone know a distributor that keeps these in stock? She is looking to get it delivered in the next couple of weeks. Second question is about price. She was quoted $2900 plus shipping. Is there a better deal out there? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Looks like you can directly buy it from ICE for $2995 including shipping. If you get the non-miracle on ice edition you can save $500.

2 weeks later
    #562 4 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Google "jersey fonts" or "sports fonts".
    You'll find a site like this: http://www.fontspace.com/category/jersey
    You may want to use something other than a word processor (Photoshop or Gimp?) to add different colours to the different areas of the font like lpeters82 was able to achieve. Though he may have been to accomplish that in Word too I suppose with a drop shadow or glow effect.
    lpeters82 - I think your painting looks amazing for a first time, I hope to get similar results when I do mine. I'm going Chicago (Mostly new players, Toes,Kane/Roenick upfront, Keith and Seabrook on defense and a toss up between Belfour or Crawford in net) for sure... can't decide on their opponent, likely Toronto or Montreal.

Fyi, you don't need to paint them, just order them from chexx for $99 a team. Much easier, just have to add the decals to the back and you're ready to go.

8 months later
    #790 4 years ago

I made a couple videos below to help out new owners. One about removing the ice, one about replacing a gearbox. Note about the ice one, if you have a goalie that has pin through it instead of having a stake on the end, you'll have to remove the pin holding the goalie before removing the ice.

More info at my website here:

http://gameroominfo.com/2017/10/10/removing-ice-chexx-bubble-hockey/

http://gameroominfo.com/2017/10/10/replacing-gearbox-chexx-bubble-hockey/

#791 4 years ago
    Quoted from Requis:

The new units ( Next Generation) all have new controller boards and internals. They simply ran out of enough sources for the older boards. That go back over 10 years perhaps more the service tech did not know for sure. Lots of exciting new features / rumours being thrown around...once these ones are all gone they will release the announcement and pricing on the new ones. For that reason we are waiting for the next generation to come out..I was told on Wednesday hopefully in two weeks once all of these units are sold. Hopefully sooner so that we can get ours before Christmas!
    Exciting stuff new, new Super Chexx on its way!
    Cheers,
    Requis

I'm hoping that they provide an upgrade package for older owners. I would probably pay for that upgrade if it's reasonably priced. I would bet that going this route is probably actually saving them manufacturing money over the long term while being a lot cooler.

#799 4 years ago

I've got a bunch of the original chexx players for sale if anyone is interested. USA vs Russia, all players are there, just a little beat up (only one physically broken though, he lost a leg).

#801 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

You looking to sell onesies or all? I just pulled all my players and one of the guys shafts broke in the gear box :/

Already sold them, sorry.

#802 4 years ago

I put up instructions on how to put names and numbers on your players. Hopefully this helps some people out. Link is here:

http://gameroominfo.com/2017/10/17/putting-numbers-names-chexx-bubble-hockey-players/

Wish I had a printer that printed white!

#811 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Probably like the iPhone, the pro will be the lcd and the plain super Chexx is the current unit

From what I heard, they didn't have enough parts to make the old electronics anymore, so they had to redo everything a result. Seems unlikely they would have an old style scoreboard anymore unless they redid it with new hardware.

I'm hoping for an upgrade path but it seems unlikely. I think they could make a ton of money if they did.

#817 4 years ago
    Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

I talked to Ice the other day and was told a few things. Upgrade kits to the new version will not be offered. New version will have LCD with video and NHL content. Different sound. Some LED lighting effects. Actual gameplay is the same, of course. Priced $200 higher across the board.
    Oh, and all the old stock was gone almost instantly once they marked it down $200.

No upgrades? Well, I'm going to have to decide whether it's worth it to buy a new one based upon the price difference. Probably not though.

#865 4 years ago

I haven't had any flaking problems with my ICE official NHL guys other than some clear flaking off the sticks.

1 week later
    #894 3 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

You can get a small audio playback board that will play 9 audio clips based off of triggers. I have one working in these two videos to do goal horns. Since that only uses two of the clips I was thinking of adding some buttons for added taunts. Playing after a goal isn't too bad since you can trigger that the same way you do the light but you only get 4 seconds before the puck is ejected so it will most likely continue to play during your game. I don't know how you would trigger on opening face off but if you added extra buttons you could just press one to play when you wanted it to. To get a true integration where the face offs are delayed for the music to end I think you will have to redo things with a raspberry pi type setup. Handling the inputs for goals doesn't seem too bad but interfacing with the original scoreboard looks difficult on the surface. If anyone has any insight into that I'd like to hear about it.
    » YouTube video
    » YouTube video

It sounds like you did the same thing to your chexx that I did here to my foosball:

More info here:

http://gameroominfo.com/2017/10/31/foosball-table-electronic-sound-system/

The bad part is that the quality isn't the greatest, you'd need a raspberry pi like mentioned above to do it better.

#897 3 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

Mine runs on it's own speaker so it just plays over top of whatever the chexx is playing, which is mostly crowd noise. If you disconnect the original speakers you will loose the crowd noise, oh's, buzzers, and announcing if you have a later edition. This board won't do looping of a track or play a random track and if you want the clip to fade out you would have to edit it that way. taylor34 has sound looping on his foosball so I assume he is using a different board than this.
    ebay.com link » 1pcs For Arduino Development Board Voice Playback Module Mp3 Music Player
    If you search membrane switches on ebay you should find a wide selection of switches that would mount easily, I was thinking these would work for my purposes.
    ebay.com link » 2pcs 1x4 4 Key Matrix Membrane Switch Keypad Keyboard Super Slim For Arduino R3

Mine is arduino as well and actually doesn't support looping, I just wrote code to make it do that (and then interrupt it when a goal is scored). The quality is my main issue with the arduino solution, 8 bit mp3's are not that great.

2 weeks later
    #987 3 years ago

So for those of you who upgraded to the Super Chexx Pro, was it worth it?

1 week later
    #1001 3 years ago
    Quoted from KingDaddy:

Any advice on latest best LED’s to use to upgrade lighting?

Do you have an original CHEXX? This is what I used:

I think if you have a Super Chexx you have the florescent blub and that doesn't apply though.

#1003 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Any new thoughts/comments on the new Pro models? Everyone too busy playing? Lol

I was wondering that too. I keep debating on whether it would be worth it to upgrade since it's a long term keeper item for me.

#1022 3 years ago

My son and I had a showdown on my refurbished Original Chexx game (yes, this actually was a red/blue game originally). I added a start button at the coin slot, sometime I should probably detail that, much easier than putting in coins.

#1037 3 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

If ICE was smart, and by the board design it looks pretty good, they would lock/encrypt the sd card, similar to a GPS map update

Why? It's not like the software is good in anything else. Leaving it where the sound and image files are changeable would lead to increased sales.

#1040 3 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

I imagine there are licensing and royalty considerations to be had. I would think ICE would be required to protect the IP of the companies they are licensing their digital assets from.... just a guess but I suspect there is a level of encryption involved. Still would be interesting to get a look at the image of the sd card and have a look, maybe everything is in the clear and you could swap things out.

I don't know what encryption has to do with protecting IP in this case. What are you protecting? A couple logo files that are found in a 1000 different places on the web? Sounds that are already found on the web? It's not like there's financial information there. I've seen this trend lately where everyone is over-securing things that don't really need to be secure.

#1041 3 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Knock offs could be made, licensing and proprietary code.... it isn’t open source so it should be encrypted if they had any brains :/

I'm sure their old software for the past 35 years isn't encrypted, so all of a sudden it's a problem now?

#1043 3 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

proprietary boards and burned roms. While rom editing and burning is left to a small few, then owners of a chexx...it is a small market. Look at pinball, that took how long to get to edit the roms and now spike etc. I'm surprised stern hasn't sent a cease and desist to the browser software. In the end it doesn't matter what you or I think. It is their copy written code and they should try to protect it.

I write embedded software for a living. This isn't some game that can be stolen and given to a million other people like Battlefront, it's software that only runs on a certain board for one purpose. It has no value outside of that game, which is why all pinball software is freely downloadable, it has no purpose without the software. There is a high cost for incorporating all kinds of encryption in projects like this, it causes a lot more work for developers, support staff, and end users.

2 months later
    #1187 3 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

It's been quiet around here lately, hopefully everyone is off playing their games. I got a 3d printer for Christmas and needed a project that was small to use while testing settings and getting things tweaked so I decided to try making custom pucks. Here are the results so far. I've only had them done for a few days but they seem to play about the same, hopefully they hold up. Has anyone else tried customizing pucks with logos or painting them?

The only problem is that they need metal in them to register the shot sensor. If you can figure out that issue, I think a lot of people would be interested.

#1190 3 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

I embeded a magnet in the middle so it will still register with the switches in the game. I measured the one in a chexx puck and got the same size so the weight is the same. I printed the puck as two halves and solvent welded them together. I've seen videos of people pausing their printers to embed magnets or nuts into prints but I haven't been able to get that to work yet. I'm hoping the joint will hold up, it's the same stuff that is used to build acrylic aquariums. Now I have to make sure it doesn't mark up the dome. I ground one against it and didn't leave a mark but that's different than the force it hits with while playing. The material I printed it with is supposed to have a lower hardness than the lexan dome.

Those pucks are awesome, great job on those.

4 weeks later
    #1237 3 years ago
    Quoted from Evil-Dingo:

Great forum here. I thought I would join to pick your brains. Anyway, I am building a table and need a template for the ice. Any thoughts of where I could find a PDF template or perhaps measurements between each player slot. I have a set of carrom players and gears and I thought if I was going to build a table I could use the SuperChexx layout, since I like the play of the superchexx rink over the carrom. My only concern is that the men are different sizes. I cant seem to find any info on size differences, I of course realize superchexx is of better quality...... I am more or less building this for my 6 year old so we can have some fun and he can play with his buddies. Any input from you all who obviously know your stuff would be super appreciated!! Thank you mates!!

Honestly, I don't think you'd really be able to save money by building it. I think you'd be be better off just selling off the Carrom parts and buying a used Chexx since it will have all the awesome electronics. Or just buying a Carrom.

As far as the Chexx guy size differences, the guys in one corner have longer sticks.

#1240 3 years ago
    Quoted from Evil-Dingo:

So the chexx guys and carrom guys are the same size then other than the right wings stick? As far as saving money. You would be surprised. The pedestal, table, and surrounds will be out of wood and PVC board. Haven't decided what the ice will be yet, leaning towards thin clear Teflon over painted board. Fabricating channels similar to superchex for the carom gear box's to ride in. Sourced the fiberglass rod in 20' sections locally. I don't want a dome, going with plexi on top of the boards. I like the behind the goal pass ability of the Chexx. Might even stretch the rink out a few inchs to give a little more room. Basic l ghting and basic home made score board hooked to siren. I'll be in in it for under 500.00 with all new gear box's and men.
    Dave

You'll be in it $500 for a game that will essentially be unsellable. Vs. Spending the $1000/$1500ish and getting something that is superior playwise and when you're done with it, will be worth that same amount or more (they've been climbing in value). It's just a matter of whether you want $1000/$1500 sitting in an asset.

I know it seems like you're saving money but it would only be in the short team, long term you'd actually be losing money (plus doing a lot of extra work).

Doing it for a fun project = cool. Doing it to save money = probably not a great idea.

Sorry, don't want to be the negative Nancy, but just want to make sure you think this through. I used to do the same thing, buying the cheapest option or hacking something together to get by, I was dumb, lol. In retrospect I would been better off in almost every case to have spent the extra money up front as the maintenance and time I spent on my own creation just never worked out as good as something quality.

2 weeks later
    #1254 3 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Yeah, but they don’t have numbers. I actually bought the USA/USSR version from them, but I’ve got to think there’s better options out there.

I made instructions on how to do the decal stuff here a while back:

Hopefully that helps a little.

2 months later
    #1349 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Finally ordered my decals for my Wisconsin Badgers vs Minnesota Gophers. I needed to print white on clear, so I went with a 5" x 5" custom window decal from Vistaprint. Even with shipping it was under $10. The size was actually more then enough to get the logos and numbers. I was filling the extra space with some other random stuff, including some decals for the goalie masks. I'll post pictures when they arrive. I'm probably still the most nervous about the Wisconsin logo. It's just not super clear when I convert them to .png format. If the "WISCONSIN" logo doesn't look good, I may end up using just the "W" logo.

Good idea on the vistaprint, that's even easier than what I was doing which was printing them myself. I'll have to check them out.

8 months later
    #1548 2 years ago

I painted my original chexx base black and the top white to make it look like the modern games. Just food for thought in your restore process.

#1550 2 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

Blue base or nothing!

http://gameroominfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/bubble_hockey_picture_5-Large.jpg

This is my original chexx repainted. I'd embed it but evidently I don't know how, lol.

4 months later
    #1652 2 years ago

Found these listed in the ICE website parts section....could we now modify original Super Chexx with the new scoreboard system?[quoted image][quoted image]

My guess is that the answer is yes. However, it's not just as simple as buying those boards. You'd need wiring harnesses, etc. By the time you add up all that expense (regular version + $1k in parts at least) you'd probably be better off just selling you current one and buying a new one.

2 months later
    #1675 2 years ago

I made a prelim version of a cup holder for chexx games. I wanted one where I didn’t have to drill to install it.

20F0E760-E8BE-4B03-8B31-E851FC71EEF9 (resized).jpeg80EC70C1-2F69-48C8-A886-5DFCD9483E1E (resized).jpeg
    2 weeks later
    #1706 2 years ago

Next rev of the cup holder for those who were interested. Upgraded the material, made it stronger, added some text.

791D28D7-6CB6-444C-A8F7-2FDC1FFB7A8B (resized).jpeg7A3068B4-DEDA-4DBD-965A-6EB6D60CE1B4 (resized).jpeg850551C8-9CA5-433D-A2B2-D1EE6FDF28E1 (resized).jpegB15BBCCB-EB97-442D-B198-D0CB79529ADF (resized).jpegE01270F9-0377-4CF7-8610-157ADD90CF1C (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #1719 1 year ago
    Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Awesome! Can you do custom colors and text??

I've sent him a PM but for right now I'm only doing black, may be doing red here as well. I could do custom text and colors but that's a lot more work.

#1725 1 year ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

So the split isnt that noticable on the split base? I just dont want a bug ugly ass seem going down the middle and I want it to be good and solid like the regular base. I assume it is but just making sure.

You might ask in the Pro owners thread if any of them have a picture of the split base. I have the regular base from the original chexx and it was TIGHT going through the door. My door frame is 31 1/4" at the narrowest point if that helps any. Definitely will have to remove the door for sure.

#1734 1 year ago

For those who were interested in red...

D0DF1772-021F-4166-8FC3-D64FEB5E52A2 (resized).jpegE027F9A3-7DE9-4616-920C-B6BD92CA68E1 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #1761 1 year ago

I priced out an NHL version, with split base, coin door, LED light add-on.....I can’t believe how the price has gone up from the pre-Super Chexx Pro days. Then I priced out a Super Kixx Pro and fell out of my chair!

Yeah, it's a little ridiculous how much they've gone up in the past 2 or 3 years. $2295 was like the base price in 2016 I think, pre-LCD. I really want to upgrade my original chexx to the newer version. I did see on Facebook though that the LCD lights are actually things you can add on, I wonder if you can add those to non-lcd chexx games?

#1775 1 year ago

A couple people were asking about blue, so here’s the blue version finally.

D75F9283-D167-4F71-BFB0-ABB6CE1EF3C6 (resized).jpeg
    2 weeks later
    #1824 1 year ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

My game just shipped out today, now the wait.........

You'll have to post pics when you get it in. Did you get the led light option for underneath? I haven't seen anyone have that yet, although it sounds like it can also be added later.

#1849 1 year ago
    Quoted from Greenandwhite:

Anyone see promo codes for free shipping or discounts?

I could send you a couple of my cup holders for free if you use me as a referral. That's the only current discount I'm aware of though. The $150 one expired at the end of September and probably won't come back again until then (when the game will probably be $150 more expensive anyways).

#1855 1 year ago

fyi, I saw some ad that they're including an extra NHL team with that version right now through Dec 31st.

#1859 1 year ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

It would be interesting to know how many of these games that they sell a year. I know of one in my area but it is wore out and dirty as heck. Doesnt seem like they would sell many of them but I'm sure there are certain areas of the country where they sell alot of them. I think they might build other types of games also there. I should have mine Tuesday the way that it's looking, cant wait.

Their affiliate page says that they've sold 40k total over the 35+ years. So a pretty decent amount but I would guess that a lot of those aren't even around anymore. Sounds like they average about 1000 a year sold, though I wouldn't be surprised if that number is currently higher with the new LCD they added.

#1875 1 year ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Got my game yesterday and it is absolutely beautiful. Me and my buddy put it together and fired it up and I think we.played the most boring and slowest bubble hockey match ever lol. Man did we suck lol. It's not fun when you suck that bad. The good news is you start improving quickly and once you do it is a total blast.
    I really love this thing and I can tell already that it was a great purchase..I cant wait to get a group of friends over and really get some good matches going, it's going to be awesome. Took a fee pics before work that arent very good. I'll take more later. Oh yeah and this game is freakin HUGE lol. Holy crap does it take up some space in my little basement.
    .[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks really amazing. I'm hoping that I can slowly build up the funds to upgrade mine.

#1876 1 year ago
    Quoted from Stal8080:

Couldn't agree more about the cup holders!!! Love my set....Thanks again Taylor.

Glad you like them.

#1953 1 year ago

This is the most hype I've seen for Chexx in a long time. I'm not sure why this year is different compared to other years, it's the same game as it's been the last 40 years.

I wouldn't expect much help from Chexx support. They've been generally slow or unresponsive to my questions most of the past 10 years. They wouldn't even give me a discount and I've even an affiliate for them, lol.

For those who missed out on the $100 coupon, if you use my referral link I'll send you a pair of cupholders like I did Who-Dey so at least you'd get something a little extra. Costs you nothing, I get money towards upgrading to a Super Chexx Pro, and you get custom cupholders (and my external gratitude).

I'm excited that a bunch of you are jumping into this now. Who knew that this thread I started years ago would turn into this?

For those that are asking about foosball and bubble hockey, I actually have both. A Tornado from about 15 years ago, and an original Chexx. Which is better? Well, sorry foosball fans, the bubble hockey pretty much just stomps the foosball from about every aspect. Kids like it better, more popular at parties, etc. The foosball though is a good secondary option as a lot more people are familiar with it.

#1955 1 year ago

Btw, for those that have bought new games lately, I put names and numbers on mine a couple years ago. I detailed it here:

Not perfect, and would work better if I had a different printer, but that's the process anyways. I think the hardest part is if you need to print white, not many printers that can do that.

#1962 1 year ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I actually had great support from Ice’s service department. The guy was cool who helped me out. His name was Voicu. Say it like Voycoo.

When I ordered parts 5 years ago, they were great. One time a person quit though, and a question I had (non-service related) kind of fell by the wayside for over a month and I couldn't figure out what had happened, lol. Maybe I should rephrase my answer, my responses through email have been so-so, however my phone calls have been great. So maybe it's just my method of contact that's the issue.

1 week later
    #2042 1 year ago

I actually don't even have the washers installed on my original chexx. Occasionally a player will fall out but it's pretty rare.

#2072 1 year ago

When trying to fix up an older Chexx game, it's going to cost you $1k probably...$400 for the bubble, $200 for the players, $150 for the goals and ice, new grips, some new gear boxes, etc. I bought mine for $800 and then spent like $1k turning it into what I have now...in retrospect, I would have been better off just spending the extra money on a Super Chexx (at the time though, they didn’t have the new scoreboard, so there wasn't huge difference between a chexx and super chexx besides recording shots on goal).

#2090 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rhauf0:

Strange to me that folks are having issues with the rod collars coming loose. I don't believe that to be normal for new machines. Fortunately, it is an easy fix. While you have the ice off, check all of the rod collars to make sure they are tight. Once you have it all back together, you shouldn't need to worry about pulling the players off again till you are replacing gears, many, many games from now.

Yeah, that isn't something I would expect to fall off either. Strange.

2 weeks later
    #2186 1 year ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

The customer reps told me back in December 2019,that they hardly offer any promotions. Since then, they've had three promotions?
    SCPYOUTH, Holiday 19! and now JAN20! Far from hardly ever.

I would agree with their reps that they hardly have any...they've had more in the past month or two than I've seen in 5 years.

1 month later
    #2253 1 year ago

Finally made a version in white due to someone asking. Wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out but it seems decent.

AA1EE9E8-1E73-45F9-8B13-6995E7221677 (resized).jpeg
    3 weeks later
    #2289 1 year ago

They’re closed right now anyways. No orders will be getting done for a while.

2 weeks later
    #2314 1 year ago
    Quoted from brightonrock:

Does anybody have a link to the original '83 Chexx Moog manual in pdf? Just picked up the game and would like the manual. If not, can someone tell me what the settings are for the selector switches on the main board? I know they are for time and coin, but what does each position represent?
    Thanks
    BR

Check here:

http://pinrepair.com/arcade/chexx.htm

They are there.

1 week later
    #2321 1 year ago
    Quoted from brightonrock:

Had anybody 3D printed any players? Would like to try it if somebody has a 3D file to share. Thanks

I don't think 3d printed players would last because they're missing the metal piece, plus you'd have to paint all of them. Probably not worth it considering that the average player cost is only like $20.

4 months later
    #2423 1 year ago
    Quoted from belcherboy:

Does anyone know what this is all about? It just says "Coming Soon" when you click it. I wonder if they will let you modify your old Super Chexx with some of the Pro components?
    [quoted image]

That would be amazing. It's basically the same game, there's no reason you couldn't offer an upgrade.

#2445 1 year ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Me too...I didnt want to say that because I didnt want to put him on the spot or anything but I figured he may so that if anyone used his link.

Thanks for the mentions guys, much appreciated. Yes, anyone who uses the link on my website gets free cup holders from me with their new game.

2 months later
    #2604 11 months ago

Yeah I would agree that it has to be at least in the 2000's because the website address is on the ice.

3 months later
    #2627 8 months ago

Finally got my elevated platform done, no more back problems from leaning over.

79C04EBE-294D-4268-9411-5A367C34BC56 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #2641 7 months ago

Yeah the thingiverse guy is the one who took my design and uploaded it, then tried to tell me he didn't copy me so I deserved no credit, lol.

6 months later
    #2722 40 days ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

I’m not sure a printed player, specifically the stick would stand up to being played with compared to the molded players.

I ag

Quoted from Sirgubster9:

quoting the very first post!!!! I am doing the exact same thing as you good sir. Have an original Chexx and basically want mine to look sweet like yours without spending a bunch... because I feel like if I wanted to spend a bunch I oculd have just got a newer one right... anywho I saw you painted your original base from dark blue to black, but the base is made out of like a weird hairy plastic, how did you get yours to look so gosh dang clean... did you just spray paint it?

I did just spray paint it. I think I originally tried gloss black and it looked terrible in the spot I tried, then I switched to flat or satin black I think and then it worked much better. Don't ask me why that is, but it's what worked for me. I also spray painted the top white which didn't hold up as well longer term unfortunately...still looks good, just some chipping by the goalie handle.

If you're looking to save money over a new one, honestly it all depends on what you bought the used one for. I think I spent almost $1k bringing mine back to life, which in hindsight probably wasn't the best idea. I mean I saved $1k over buying a new NHL version of the older scoreboard, but also the value overall would have been higher with the newer model. If they'd ever offer their scoreboard kit for the older original chexx models, then I'd jump on that instantly.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylor34.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside