Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,114 posts
  • 431 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by GRB1959
  • Topic is favorited by 157 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Super Chexx Service Manual - Page 7.pdf (PDF preview)
    sc (resized).jpg
    IMG_0245 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0246 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0244 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20231121_223429875.jpg
    AIwr.gif
    20230402_121006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231007_154725659 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0043 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0042 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0041 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shorepins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1073 6 years ago

Hi guys, I used to do lots of pin repairs for mine and friends pins back when you could get decent prices at local auctions. Around 2000 I got out of it and just have a small collection of 'toys'.
    Ages ago I had a Chexx I got at auction cheap. The dome had lots of nasty deep scratches and the board did not work. A couple of the gear boxes were loose, but it ended up playable in th end. Sold it for a good profit.
    Another Super Chexx followed me home. I have to admit I was loosely looking for one. Figured it is better then the video game stuff for my young boys. So poorly listed 'Bubble hockey' popped up on craigslist locally and I was the first to call. The guy had it outside for a week or two (so he says) covered (it rained some). He was claiming on the phone it would work if plugged in, I did not try, too much water and a uniquely patched power cord. Bubble was not so bad, computer was inside with wires, and the playfield was complete and very nice looking.
    So I am on my evaluation and figured I would share some details as I am learning. You will see I might get a little too far into the details, but that only helps at times. Oh and may be I write too much
    So let me start off with the first one I bought.
    The dome.
    I play with antique cars and know about buffing out metal and paint. The process is simple but labor intensive. You have to look at the 'scratch' and figure out which paper will let you cut down the scratches there but be less scratch then the scratches you are trying to remove. If you choose too coarse then you will be making more work.
    So you figure out your first sand paper. Mine was bad I started really coarse at 180, oh and you want wet with a bit of soap to keep the paper clear and cut faster. Only go one way like up and down. Cut till your are almost to the bottom of the scratch you are trying to remove.
    Move on to the next paper like a 280, now sand 90 degrees to the first sanding. Go until you cant see the previous sand scratch (that is why you go 90 degrees).
    Continue up 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000. I forget which I stopped at since what is sticking in my brain is what I have done for the stainless on my 31 Model A Ford I am restoring. I will add that buying real Norton or 3M paper is well worth the money as the harborfreight and other low cost stuff just does not hold up at all. The grit quickly goes away.
    Then I moved on to a drill and pad with Novis. I stared with the coarse Novus (blue bottle?) then the red bottle. It is important that you have a different buff for each bottle and do not swap them. I may have hand polished some after that.
    I would be leary of flame polishing as I would be afraid the dome shape changing with the heat.
    Now let me move on to my current project.
    Let me say dirt is the operative word. It was wet everywhere. I do not know what the guy used for a cover, but I do not think it worked very well. I decided the best course of action is a total tear down, cleaning and evaluation is what I needed to do. Out came the rods and the gear boxes. I noticed that the rods had the silver aluminum from the stop wore into some of them. I also noticed some of the boxes were pretty low in the channel.
    The rods cleaned up decent with a combination of Mr Clean Magic Erasers (love em) and 1000 grit sand paper. The rods where they go through the bushings get a little rough and I feel they should be smooth. So I wet sanded with the soapy water some.
    The gear box evaluations are interesting.
    So you will see some pictures below of a 'new' box that I believe had little or no wear.
    It is about 2 3/4" tall and just under 1 15/32" wide. (2.743" and 1.46"). Now these are plastic pieces and I believe there will be some variation.
    You will see I have a very worn box next to the real good box. The worn box is 3/16" shorter in size and about 1/16" narrower in width.
    So what does all this mean. Well being shorter the player will need to be moved higher up plus the player will have more up and down motion during play. The side to side wear means you will need to keep the player higher from the ice to prevent it from scraping and wearing the surface.
    Next you will see a worn box apart. I took a bad on apart for starters.You can see how they do the clutching. The large gear rides over a disk with bumps. I would assume that bumps loose some height over time and will clutch easier.
    I have found that the grease has accumulated dirt (the aluminum from rubbing on the stops because the box is worn) and makes the boxes turn with bumps. You really need to clean the gears.
    Finally, one other observation. The two collars on the metal shaft have a tight fit on the plastic housing. I have already noticed one seems tighter on the shaft then others. So that may affect how well a shaft turns.
    So now I have a question, does anyone know a good close red for the play field box? Mine needs stickers and a paint job (not sure I am going this route).
    My brother works on cars and thinks sunroof grease might be the best lube for the plastic. I will find out.
    Hope helps.
    PC241941 (resized).JPGPC241941 (resized).JPGPC241940 (resized).JPGPC241940 (resized).JPGPC241939 (resized).JPGPC241939 (resized).JPGPC241938 (resized).JPGPC241938 (resized).JPGPC241937 (resized).JPGPC241937 (resized).JPG
    Added over 6 years ago: Playing more with the boxes.
    I found some will bind up when you turn them in one direction. The square post piece is poorly molded. It is not perfectly round and will fetch up in the hole even with lubrication. When I put one in that is round and well molded it just works fine. I had 2 with this problem and I happen to have 2 bad boxes with that part good. It happens that the 2 with the bad shaft were some of the new no wear cases so I really wanted to get them working.
    In talking with ICE I found out they currently use some thing called Bolube. Some kind of Boeing Lube that is blue. I have not located it commercially. I work with aircraft so I will go talk to the maintenance guys and see what they know.

Added over 6 years ago: Oh I almost forgot.

I talked to Novus.

For acrylic (softer then the lexan for the bubble) Novus #3 takes out 600 grit scratch marks. Novus #2 does 1200 grit.

For Polyacrylic (Lexan) it is much harder. It takes a lot more work to get the scratch out.

#1102 6 years ago

Finally got power to my Chexx. Still have the dome off of it doing polishing and waiting for gear boxes (due in Tuesday).

The board is a 5/8/1989 build 2nd generation main PCB. When I power it up the sound is a quick blurb of mixed sounds and then quiet. I do not have the display hooked up or the switches at this point.

What should I expect to happen for this board?

Does anyone have the schematics or better yet a PDF of the whole manual for this era machine?

Thanks,
    Kevin

#1106 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

lots of diy info
    http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/chexx.htm
    you can also order the manual from Ice
    P/N: SC944
    SERVICE MANUAL (SUPER CHEXX)
    $10.95
    https://www.icegame.com/category/22/super-chexx#parts
    Do you have a chexx from the 1988-1993 with the small board?
    during boot my original 83 chexx will make a blurb sound while power up. This is normal.

Thanks,

You can also download that manual as PDF. Problem is the wiring is for the current system. I find it interesting that no one has scanned in the 88 to 93 manual and put it online. The schematics for the first long board are out there (I got them in 2010 when I had one of those). Just this second gen board is like a blackhole.

I did not think to credit it up, you get so focused on other things you overlook the obvious sometimes.

I credited it up and it works, well the correct sound comes out.

1 week later
    #1135 6 years ago

I used Mr Clean white sponge to clean my ice. It took the dirt off with minimal effort.

3 weeks later
    #1182 6 years ago

The score boards do a serial shift thing. It is a real simple way of moving the data and relies on the brain not being able to see the quick changes as the data is streamed in the chips. If the cable is loose/bad you will get random stuff as it is loosing bits. You might also have dirty chip sockets on the board so reseating the chips may help. Check for bad solder joints on both ends too as the connector solder joints are problematic on those era boards. So it could be on the main board, the cable between, or the score board.

I do not know the exact answer, but I am just using my recent experience back engineering for repair a second generation Super Chexx I own. A very long time ago I had a first gen chexx. That had solder joint issues and needed resoldering.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shorepins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey?tu=shorepins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.