Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,108 posts
  • 429 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Shaker
  • Topic is favorited by 159 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sc (resized).jpg
    IMG_0245 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0246 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0244 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20231121_223429875.jpg
    AIwr.gif
    20230402_121006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231007_154725659 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0043 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0042 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0041 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shirkle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 10 years ago

I bought an '83 Chexx about a year ago for $600. Sure it's missing the shots on goal, but with the money I saved, I was able to strip it down, powdercoat the metal body, repaint the plastic cabinet, have new decals made (www.thisoldgame.com sells them now), get a new dome, new goals, etc. I have a a beautifully restored game and probably about $1000 in it. I really couldn't be happier....now I just need to find people who like to play!

#34 10 years ago

To answer someone's question- yes, the players are interchangeable between Chexx and Super Chexx. You just pull straight up on the players and they pop off. All of the visible parts are completely interchangeable as they are identical parts, except for the scoreboard. The only changes that I'm aware of are the electronics(circuit board, scoreboard, wiring, etc.) and a couple of of mechanical pieces under the ice surface like the upkicker unit that ejects the puck.

Tatman- yours appears to be the '83 version, but with a Super Chexx decal.

Like pinball, minor mods can be made. People put logos on the "boards", paint players, paint the ice. I added LEDs behind the ICE period lights.

2 months later
    #94 10 years ago

You guys might enjoy this- I had a "game room" instead of dancing for my wedding reception. Here we are in the midst of our bubble hockey tournament...this is the Chexx I completely restored by powder coating the cabinet, repainting the base, getting decals made, new dome, and superbright LED for the playfield lights. I put a credit button on the lower coindoor just for the day so no one would have to open it. We all got a good laugh when it started playing "Charge!" loudly from the other room while the minister said a blessing for our dinner.
    2G5A3173-2681934577-O.jpg2G5A3173-2681934577-O.jpg
    And just for kicks, here are the bride and groom playing the multicade cocktail (she loves Frogger, I like Galaga and Ms. Pac), with SWEP1 in the background (several Star Wars fans were in attendance and appreciated that pin).
    2G5A3214-2681936959-O.jpg2G5A3214-2681936959-O.jpg

7 months later
    #205 9 years ago
    Quoted from Leachdude:

Home used since new, it is a 1996 build. It is not perfect but very nice. The sound has some issues I need to work out. When it is cold it turns on with garbage noise, then sounds like a motorcycle, then a siren gets louder and louder and then it stops and sound will work. Going to replace some caps and see if that fix's the issue. Unless someone else has a fix?
    20140904_210735.jpg 151 KB

Kind of sounds like a cold solder joint somewhere that heats up, expands, and makes the proper contact. I'd start with reflowing solder and then go from there. Maybe reseat the sound chips.

6 months later
    #248 9 years ago

Beautiful. Looks like mine- I even had the top powder coated (and did the original scans that thisoldgame used for the new decals). I need a new ice surface...it's the only worn part in mine, except for....

Did you replace the rods, or just the handles? My original red handles are deteriorating and get sticky. They don't look like they'll come off easy.

Lastly, for any original '83 (blue base ) owners, there is now a replacement for the scoreboard components. Very simple plug and play. I got it from ebay from bostonpinballcompany. I hesitated buying it because it wouldn't be original, but actually like it so much more. You no longer have the ICE lights, but a lot of people didn't know those were the period lights anyway. Instead you have red led lights indicating each period or overtime. I love it.

#250 9 years ago

I like that 1-2-3 idea. Looks good. When I had people over I always had to explain the period lights to them.
    I also switched out those old bulbs before getting the new board altogether. I eventually got the new boards because I stupidly plugged the ribbon cable in upside down after I moved into my new house. I knew immediately what I did. I replaced all of those ICs, had it working while still disassembled, then reassembled it and it wasn't working. At that point I said "screw this" and got the new boards!

And, yeah , I've looked all over for those red handles but can only seem to find them in packs of two about once a year on ebay. They're old bmx handlebar grips made by Hunt-Wilde.

1 year later
    #599 7 years ago

I believe white lithium grease is what's recommended by Chexx. I bought a tub of it and put some on when I restored my '83. I put it on the gearboxes and a little in the tracks. Doesn't take much, and if the game is clean (mine was completely diassembled for powder coating, so I got to clean every part pretty thoroughly), it will last a very long time.

#601 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Woah woah woah, why havent you posted pics yet???

I don't have any pictures handy, but I'll try to get some for you. I posted a picture from kind of far away in post #94 of this thread.... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/2#post-1362055

#603 7 years ago

Thanks. Restoring these loses some originality- the black rings around the handles should be red, the new ice surface, updated displays/lighting. Here are some pictures I just took in my basement. Ignore the dust!

chexx1 (resized).jpgchexx1 (resized).jpg

chexx4 (resized).jpgchexx4 (resized).jpg

chexx2 (resized).jpgchexx2 (resized).jpg

chexx3 (resized).jpgchexx3 (resized).jpg

#605 7 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

I wish they made and sold the red handles and bumpers. Someone put the black handles on my '83.

Me too! The original grips were made by a BMX company int he 80s called Hunt Wilde. No longer in business, but some other places acquired their products, tooling, design, etc. I inquired about making red grips, since black are obviously still made, and I think my minimum order had to be around 10,000 or so. The red circles are no longer made either. Mine were missing and broken when I got the game, so I just replaced them all with black. I don't love it, but it's better than what I started with.
    If I don't play mine often or clean/wax the red grips, they get sticky. It's weird...like someone just pulled tape off of them.

Not much for the 83 is still available. I had to scan the original artwork and have it remade and it is now for sale at www.thisoldgame.com
    The stickers sold through Chexx/ICE are not as nice.

4 weeks later
    #637 7 years ago

The goalie on my original '83 Chexx just uses a (bent) cotter pin to hold it on. I believe all of the mechanics between Chexx and Super Chexx are the same. It's the electronics and switches that changed.
    Look for a small hole between the lower part of the goalie's pads. That's where the pin goes in, through the metal post, out the back side between his legs. The pin then gets bent open to prevent it from coming out.

#639 7 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I just looked at my two spare goalies, they do just pull up. They also have a tiny hole for a "cotter pin" or some pin, but mine did not come with them. So just pull up, if you don't see a pin in them (between the legs)

You'll want to put in a cotter pin or the goalie will have a tendency to turn during play. The pin keeps them facing forward.

9 months later
    #1104 6 years ago
    Quoted from ShorePins:

Finally got power to my Chexx. Still have the dome off of it doing polishing and waiting for gear boxes (due in Tuesday).
    The board is a 5/8/1989 build 2nd generation main PCB. When I power it up the sound is a quick blurb of mixed sounds and then quiet. I do not have the display hooked up or the switches at this point.
    What should I expect to happen for this board?
    Does anyone have the schematics or better yet a PDF of the whole manual for this era machine?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Just a thought in case the curiosity is getting to you- even with no switches connected, you could probably jump the credit wires and see if the game starts up.

1 year later
    #1811 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I just read up on some of the rules and they are calling shaking the game popcorning lol. I can see a bunch of 50-60 year old drunks right now yelling at each other saying "HEY MF NO POPCORNING!!" lmao

I think I saw this referred to as an “icequake” on a bubble hockey forum.

1 year later
    #2706 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Chexx:

Thanks! I have a good friend that can design, print, & paint my guys. I can envision what I want, he makes it happen. The usa flag on the other side along the red handles & collars really pops too. Here is a before / after on my guys in that table, he is really good. If anyone is interested, pm for his contact info. Thanks
    [quoted image]

Is that clearcoated or heat shrink/vinyl wrap?

Edit- sorry, missed that you had answered this earlier.

9 months later
    #2878 1 year ago
    Quoted from Donobean:

I am in the process to restoring an Chexx '83. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a blue powder coat color. The top needs new life. I've read every post without success.

I took my top to the powdercoater locally and matched the color to their samples. You could also match it to the base.

8 months later
    #3019 1 year ago

What bolt/screw is used to attach the dome to the cabinet along the hinge (only visible when the dome is open)?

5 months later
    #3050 10 months ago

How long do orders from Ice usually take? I ordered 5 days ago and it still has not shipped. I had some new CCCP players in the order, so maybe they make them as ordered.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shirkle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey?tu=shirkle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.