Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,114 posts
  • 431 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 days ago by GRB1959
  • Topic is favorited by 157 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Super Chexx Service Manual - Page 7.pdf (PDF preview)
    sc (resized).jpg
    IMG_0245 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0246 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0244 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20231121_223429875.jpg
    AIwr.gif
    20230402_121006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231007_154725659 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0081 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0043 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0042 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0041 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikea.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2710 2 years ago
    Quoted from JeffS:

Hi. I am trying to replace a gearbox and can't get to it because all three short rod collars have stripped screws and can't be removed. I've tried "Ez-off" bits and sawing along the seam of the collar (to try to break the screws) but can't get them off. Trying to save the rod because the grips are the old red ones and not easy to replace. Any suggestions for how I might be able to get the screws out without damaging the rod? I'm ok buying new collars if I need to. Appreciate any advice you have. This is a new "toy" for me so I don't have alot of experience repairing it (yet)

I have the same issue. Those older socket head bolts are pretty soft and round off easily. The newer square drive bolts seem to be a much harder material, and Robertson drive bolts won’t strip as easily as Allen head. I’ve tried soaking, easy-outs, heat etc. with little luck. It’s not a bad idea to replace all of the old bolts with new, even if they seem fine now.
    The plan is to cut the bolts through the slot in the collar, then pry open the collar slightly, enough to get it loose and off, then replace with a new collar. This worked in the past, but now I have a few more to replace. Your last resort might be to just cut the collars off and replace with new.
    Good luck!

3 months later
    #2749 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sirgubster9:

Restoring an 83 chexx and I purchased this gasket and have no idea how it installs. Tried to find any info online and nothing and looked at pictures of other people stuff and can't figure it out..
    [quoted image][quoted image]

It lays flat. It is essentially a gasket between the metal body and the dome. It sticks to the perimeter and covers the bolt holes, so you will need to cut out the holes if you’re putting the bolts back in. Cut a V-notch for the corners with the rounded ‘lip’ toward the outside. Hope that makes sense.

#2751 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sirgubster9:

that makes a ton of sense and thank you to pinpickle as well. Ok so you cut the inside of the gasket strip and kind of fold it together in order to make the corners; I was confused about that and then I was super confused on trying to figure out where to put it so that the gasket didn't go over the holes but since it is supposed to go over the holes that kind of solves that problem as well.
    OK so some sort of glue or adhesive to keep it down on the metal; does it install like right up against the perimeter just a hair away from hanging over the edge? or did you guys use the bubble some how to guide where the gasket should end up being installed? and then does the ICE just lay on top of it?

I think mine had adhesive attached but double sided tape works as well. Use the bubble as a guide- the rounded lip should be just slightly larger than the dome edges (1/16” or so?) so that the dome lays on the flat part of the gasket. The ice just lays on top, sandwiched between the gasket and the dome. Of course all of this is entirely from memory, so I’ll have to double check tomorrow. Let me know if u need a few pics while I’m at it.

#2757 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sirgubster9:

If your going to be around your chexx ya a couple pics would be awesome! OK possible final question, I have some like plastic stickers that are practically bolted on the bubble I tried using goo gone and no luck at all. I was able to use goo gone on all the stickers and adhesive and junk great but these plastic style stickers are on there and I tried using a razor blade and goo gone and scrubbing like crazy and I tried to soak em with a paper towell with goo gone. I can't let them just soak in anything because of there location.... Any help without scratching or ruining the bubble of course. Attached is one that had some peeling spots so I was able to do some damage but there are other ones that have no give at all.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Sorry for the delay- have a few pics of the rubber seal finally.

1034E777-4E2F-4CB1-83D9-8D8F3048D86B (resized).jpeg1034E777-4E2F-4CB1-83D9-8D8F3048D86B (resized).jpegECD86595-2B95-4F4E-98A9-489786F03B16 (resized).jpegECD86595-2B95-4F4E-98A9-489786F03B16 (resized).jpeg
    #2759 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sirgubster9:

Wow first off yours is soooo gosh dang pretty. Second off thank you those are helpful. Third off can you show some overall pics of yours just so I can see if the overall thing looks as good as the few areas I can see... Even the button is sweet. Fourth off acetone and citristrip are both bad ideas which I knew going into it but I tried em anyways. Luckily I didn't go buckwild with it or anything. I now need to learn how to wet sand this thing I think.

Thanks! I stripped and repainted it black, just to be different and to play off of the Team Canada colours. I used a polishing kit on the paint up to 12000 (yes 12 thousand) grit and I’ll be using that on the dome next. It’s a lot of work but definitely worth it. Dome isn’t really that bad but I made an led light to replace the fluorescent for the scoreboard and it seems to reflect the imperfections much more. Added the famous 3D printed nets, custom painted 3D printed cupholders and player names/numbers, custom Canada and USA boo/eject buttons, covered the dome flanges and bolt holes and made custom rivets to hold it all together. I need to redo the USA team though, so no decals on them yet. My favourite mod though is the lighted riser, it really saves your back having it raised up a few inches.
    A few pics as requested:

394D2F60-CF84-497C-A8B7-587079268883 (resized).jpeg394D2F60-CF84-497C-A8B7-587079268883 (resized).jpeg78843695-1C76-44E4-BEEC-44881E218FF6 (resized).jpeg78843695-1C76-44E4-BEEC-44881E218FF6 (resized).jpegC17FCDAE-7AD4-4889-99E9-0A2E0AE5BB6C (resized).jpegC17FCDAE-7AD4-4889-99E9-0A2E0AE5BB6C (resized).jpeg66E5ECB0-DDFB-481A-8798-E11A08F321F4 (resized).jpeg66E5ECB0-DDFB-481A-8798-E11A08F321F4 (resized).jpeg
    #2765 2 years ago
    Quoted from jukeboxtim:

Looking for someone that does player names and numbers decals Thanks Tim

Stephane Lavoie did mine- awesome work. He’s not on Pinside but can be found on Facebook or via fb messenger.

#2766 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sirgubster9:

Woooowwwww just so cool. Did you do the cupholders yourself and the mod yourself?
    I just purchase sandpaper up to 5 thousand I think. Didn't even know it went any higher than that. My plan is to sand the bubble with some heavy stuff and then go higher and higher until it's all nice and smooth but we will see if I can pull it off or not. Saw a video of a dude doing it on YouTube so I figured I would give it a try since my bubble is looks pretty bad. Well dude your chexx gives me inspiration. Just so dang cool. Well done and thanks for the pics.

Appreciate the compliments! It was/is a fun project, and I have a few more ideas and plans as well.
    The cupholders were printed by the same guy that did my player numbers (see my other post above) but he isn’t doing any more for the time being. I believe the files are relatively easy to find if you want to print them yourself, otherwise there are a number of people who are printing and selling these. Airbrush paint wouldn’t stick so I just used Testors model paint on the raised areas.
    If you aren’t satisfied with the decal removal on your dome you can always just cover the damage with ‘boards’ decals. I ran a strip of white vinyl on the flat part of the dome and it does a good job of covering that part up. There are sellers that make custom boards decals as well (with logos and advertising etc.) that would cover any residue left over.

4 months later
    #2876 2 years ago
    Quoted from Donobean:

I am in the process to restoring an Chexx '83. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a blue powder coat color. The top needs new life. I've read every post without success.

If you’re not absolutely set on powdercoat, I actually painted and polished mine and it has help up fine for years. I used the ‘industrial’ version of Tremclad (black though) called Rustoleum in the US I believe, which is available in many colours and shades.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikea.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey?tu=mikea and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.