By taylor34

4 years ago

Stats

• 1,050 posts
  • 193 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by tatman9999
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 240 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

46d0224f832c4504b052234f7c8b012e57c46f0d (resized).jpg
    IMG_0346 (resized).jpg
    2A2CE637-B138-40A8-A078-B303C668E31B (resized).jpeg
    7C2DE92A-9A70-4769-825D-70F8E95A4226 (resized).jpeg
    BC71A65E-52CC-47D4-9C8C-89F6A5D3AD1D (resized).jpeg
    607ED201-0F03-46E1-B26E-0CB930FE9559 (resized).jpeg
    4601C4D0-412D-4F4B-887B-33EBE2AA1260 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN0162 (resized).JPG
    6E3B8714-8316-42D1-87FD-8065BDA323ED (resized).jpeg
    63228CEA-F6EA-4606-B2A7-C2007CCB187A (resized).jpeg
    5B4211E4-86B5-4E0D-8738-F04BA2119321 (resized).jpeg
    B307DA63-1D37-47A3-81C0-E8ADE5AE7C8C (resized).jpeg
    F379E45A-B4D1-4231-A2A7-5B4314663619 (resized).jpeg
    C831BF58-8909-42B2-9322-AF532FD2D219 (resized).jpeg
    31962FF2-85CB-4D59-83C0-5A2BB3190BFF (resized).jpeg
    7B60D89C-19A6-481F-B1C3-217861F8C012 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lpeters82.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 4 years ago

If you want to save a few bucks the original Chexx is a great option. I sold mine before a basement remodel, but I'd buy one back if one was for sale locally. I painted mine to be Gretzky (82-83 Oilers) vs Lemieux (92-93 Penguins). The bottom picture was actually the sideboard, which was never installed.

100_1630.jpg
    GretzkyvsLemieux.png

#12 4 years ago

It depends on what your budget is. Shots on goal would be cool, but I just don't think it's worth an extra $500.

#29 4 years ago

This is probably obvious, but this game is most fun when you have others around your same still level. It's not like pinball where you can always set a high score. Part of the reason I sold mine, besides the basement remodel, was that I simply didn't have any competition--I'm not even that good, but my friends all just seemed to really suck at the game.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

That's definitely an issue with the game, though not as bad as foosball (which I had before). In foosball, if you're decent, no one will ever stand a chance. In Chexx there are random bounces that will sometimes allow the worse player to win before time runs out.

As someone who sucks at Foosball...it's a very similar feeling. There are common shots in Chexx that the beginner player just doesn't even think to defend. An example is from the right defense with the puck back at your own goal. When you shoot it hard it raises over all of the sticks so you have to block it with your center or goalie. There is nothing intuitive for new players to pull your center back to defend when the puck is sitting next to the goal. It's a really nice looking shot too. The puck rockets to the upper corners of the goal.

#54 4 years ago

With the split base you can get it though 32" doors. If I remember correctly you have to put one side of the top though first at an angle (on it's side). I remember getting it into my basement room myself...then when I had help moving it out it was much more difficult. It's all about the technique.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from bintzknocker:

I have the same issue. So I went to home depot (my local hardware store sucks but thats a different story) and bought a switched outlet. (the one that has a switch for one of the outlets). Put it in an electrical box. Cut the female end off an extension cord. Wired the female end to the switch so that the outlet is hot when the switch is flipped. Plug Chexx into the outlet, plug the male end of the extension cord.
    Lock the coin door and there you go. You turn the game on and off with the switch instead of having to go into the game.

If your wall are already finished, wouldn't it be difficult to wire in the "switched outlet". Would be a great solution if it was already done. I guess, if you're in an area where there is no moisture you might be able to run the wiring behind the baseboard. I guess you could also fish the wire directly above the outlet. Still...not up to code and not really an easy fix.

Also to the best of my knowledge any cheep outlet can be turned into a switched outlet. They have a breakable connection between the two outlets. At that point you just need to wire them correctly.

PS: Just to be a troll, with the debate over the MMR. Wouldn't you pay a premium for an original Chexx?

3 years later
    #484 11 months ago

They quoted you a price? I had to talk with several people to get them to agree to send a quote even sending them the board. The closest they came for me was $75 per hour, plus parts.

#496 11 months ago

Were the playfields on the older games more yellow? If not,any tips for for trying to make it white again?

#500 11 months ago

Yeah, I've tried a Magic Eraser...nothing. Actually it does help a bit, but it takes off more red and blue then anything. The figures are yellowing too. After doing some more research, I think I'm going to try a "retrobright" process to see if that makes any difference. I'm going to start with a bottle of Salon Care 40.

#502 11 months ago

Yeah, it didn't really bother me until I replaced the ramps. I'm hopeful about the retrobrite. Since it's winter I'm going to try using a full spectrum floodlight to hopefully activate the process. I'll try to post before and after pictures.

1 week later
    #523 10 months ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Yeah, it didn't really bother me until I replaced the ramps. I'm hopeful about the retrobrite. Since it's winter I'm going to try using a full spectrum floodlight to hopefully activate the process. I'll try to post before and after pictures.

I can 100% confirm that Retrobrite will whiten yellowed plastics in Chexx. I was able to do the goals with the floodlight. They went from the color of butter to bright white. I'm struggling a bit with the ice as it's winter here and I'm finding that my floodlight needs to be fairly close in order to work. I'm sure I'll get it, but it's going to take awhile.

1 week later
    #554 10 months ago

That's pretty sweet. I keep debating about painting my figures again. Last time I did a Gretzky (Oilers) vs Lemieux (Penguins) theme. I'm more of a casual fan so choosing a theme is always a toss up for me.

#556 10 months ago

I think most just print them out on adhesive paper, apply them, and clear lacquer over the top. That's what I did for the one's below. That was my first time attempting any model painting. Hoping I could clean them up an a second attempt.

f0e0dc9a5097d6928d563f194bb24f1107ccda84 (resized).jpg
    7fc290ef1d6b2f9415fd3234fbf39c19ab65ffbe.png (resized).jpg

#558 10 months ago

I had no idea. I just picked something I liked and went with it.

#569 10 months ago
    Quoted from roar:

Google "jersey fonts" or "sports fonts".
    You'll find a site like this: http://www.fontspace.com/category/jersey
    You may want to use something other than a word processor (Photoshop or Gimp?) to add different colours to the different areas of the font like lpeters82 was able to achieve. Though he may have been to accomplish that in Word too I suppose with a drop shadow or glow effect.
    lpeters82 - I think your painting looks amazing for a first time, I hope to get similar results when I do mine. I'm going Chicago (Mostly new players, Toes,Kane/Roenick upfront, Keith and Seabrook on defense and a toss up between Belfour or Crawford in net) for sure... can't decide on their opponent, likely Toronto or Montreal.

Thanks. I didn't mind the way they turned out, but whenever I do things myself I notice all of the flaws. For example, when I tiled our basement bathroom. After I was done small issues in spacing were bothering me. I went upstairs to see how the "professionals" had done it and saw that theirs was much worse then mine. It never bothered me upstairs. Anyway, as for the names and numbers, my guess is that's just Microsoft Word (Word Art), but I do also use pixlr which is a free online editor.

#588 10 months ago

I'm guessing that thing is quite a bit more rare then a Chexx. It really is amazing how similar it is. When did Chexx come out? Wasn't it also 1983?

#592 10 months ago

Anyone have an extra small stick figure? I have a CCCP goalie or USA long stick for trade, but I'd also be willing to purchase. Looking to complete a set for painting.

2 weeks later
    #608 9 months ago

Did you use sunlight or a lamp?

#612 9 months ago

I used a bulb and had good results, but I'd like to try it again this summer (when we finally have some sun).

2 weeks later
    #623 9 months ago

That's the only downside with Chexx. It's only really fun if you play against someone of a similar skill level.

#627 8 months ago

I am still looking for a short stick for a painting project (any team).

#644 8 months ago

Check the one above you. Aren't you guys actually pretty close. Seems like a deal could be reached.

#651 8 months ago

How much did they charge to do the dome? Mine looks similar to your before pictures.

#674 8 months ago

When I painted mine I put on many layers of clear. I have no idea how many exactly, but it was a process. I had a board with holes drilled into it where all of the figures sat for 1-2 weeks.

#676 8 months ago

I just use the stuff from a can. I sold that machine, so I can't comment on how well it's actually holding up. My plan was to respray ever so often.

#679 8 months ago

Has anyone tried adding athletic tape to the sticks? Most players tape their sticks anyway, so it's not like it would look out of place.

2 months later
    #715 6 months ago

Yeah great price. Would be purchased in a hurry in my area.

1 month later
    #743 5 months ago

I still need to choose which teams I'm going to paint. The last time I did a paint job I did Grezkey (Oilers) vs Lemieux (Penguins). I'm a fan of hockey, but I don't really have any team I follow, so choosing is difficult. I'm probably either going to do Slap Shot or Miracle On Ice.

1 week later
    #747 4 months ago

So I a long-shot of a request. My Super Chexx has the older style of main board and scoreboard. Apparently the boards inside the old scoreboard and new scoreboard are not interchangeable; nor can the old main board power a new scoreboard. Does anyone know where I can buy a single board for the old scoreboard? I'm very hesitant to send it into Ice as the $85 per hour could add up very quickly. In the picture the old board is the one with more components.

IMG_2633[1] (resized).JPG

1 month later
    #770 87 days ago

@lantenite04

I'm going to need to do something like that for my Super Chexx. I like the smaller goal light, but honestly I think changing the top lighting to red has a greater impact. Could you provide more details on how this is accomplished. I'd like to try to do that on my machine. Alternatively, or additionally would it be possible to add one of those mini beacons to the top of the machine? I think that would make a nice light show.

#772 87 days ago

Yeah, I think that's where the impact comes from. The goal lights are cool, but they don't really add all that much IMHO. I don't think there is much confusion about who scored. I'd be perfectly happy to just have a beacon on the top that goes off whenever a goal is scored for either side. Perhaps find a "cup-like" holder that can be mounted then just set the beacon light inside of that. I'd be willing to test it out, but I really don't know how to wire it up.

#776 87 days ago

Cool, I just sent you a PM. I'm going to try to find a smaller beacon plus LED strips under the cabinet. I think that will provide a nice light show. I've added lighting to games before, but this will push my skills to the next level. I'll learn as I go. If anyone finds a decent smaller beacon post it here, I'm thinking others will be interested in creating these.

#781 87 days ago

I don't know the beacon is just so synonymous with scoring in hockey.

1 month later
    #824 54 days ago

Finally got a goal light working. Not sure this will be the final light, but I'm quite happy with it as a $5 version 1.0. I like the size and mounting, but it doesn't quite have the light show I was hoping for. I will be uploading a video shortly.

20171021_214850 (resized).jpg

Video Link:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/yJWghJnEZCIFyYXu2

PS: I'm new to Google Photos, please let me know if this works.

#826 54 days ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

The link says it's empty.

Let's try Youtube then:
    » YouTube video

#855 50 days ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I am going to sell my game (pic attached) and upgrade to the new model, a Stanley Cup Penguins Edition.

I wonder how many people will look to sell and upgrade. It's probably going to be a decent time to find a Chexx for those who have been looking for one.

PS: I'm also curious about your flaking question. I'm wondering just how many layers of clear are needed to protect the paint.

1 week later
    #892 43 days ago

Does anyone have a good description for an audio hack. I think some audio would really help Chexx. I took my 6-year old girls to a semi-pro hockey game the other night and we had a great time. The audio in the arena really helps to get everyone pumped up. I'd love to create two playlists for Chexx. One list of clips that randomly plays at face offs and one list that randomly plays after a goal is scored.

After the game it took me quite some time googling to find this song. To get the effect play if from around :39 to :60.

» YouTube video

#895 43 days ago

@latenite04 @taylor34 Could you please post a link of the device you are using. Is it one sound clip per input or could you have an input play a random sound clip? I think it might work to just detach the original sound, so that when you hit the "start / boo" button it starts the game and plays the national anthem or entrance song. I think your idea of creating a second button is a great idea. That could be the "pump up" button. Hit it after a goal or whenever. As long as the clips fade out, I don't think it's a big deal to have them continue while playing.

#899 42 days ago
    Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Bloody brilliant, both of you!!
    I have a pre-announcer SC. Would LOVE to add some Gary Thorne or Rick Lange call audio!

You could probably mount sensors under the playfield so when the puck travels over that section a specific clip is played. That would probably give it a bit of a randomized feeling to the callouts.

#902 42 days ago
    Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Yeh, even if it was just the "Heeeee shoots, he scores" line and a few other randomized goal clips that activate with the goal buzzer, that'd be awesome. What you're describing might require some kind of metal or sensor in the puck, don't you think? Unless I re-did the playfield with a one-way mirror that sensors could see through... Hmmm... I'd LOVE to do even more (like some sort of on-the-fly, spliced-clip play calling, similar to what the AI does in EA sports NHL games). SO MANY possibilities.

The reed switches worked great for the goal light. I don't see why they wouldn't work if you choose to mount them around the playfield. Either way you'd need them for the goal sensor for you're "heeee shoots, he scores". I thought about just created a longer clip with silent sections to just play, but it would always play in the same order and that could get pretty old. Thus my idea for some strategically placed sensors under the play field. Just make sure they are not somewhere where your likely to go back and fourth over it. I might try attaching one to each goalie. That way there could be save callouts, in addition to the "ohhh, ahhh". It will just be fun to test out some different stuff and see what works.

ebay.com link » 10pcs Gps 14a Reed Switches Resistant Anti Vibration Normal Open Plastictype New

PS: latenite04 is the one that helped me out with this.

#904 36 days ago

Still waiting on a few parts, but I'm starting to create some goal horns. The first is just the 3.5 second horn. The others are the horn plus a bit of music. I figured the music would work both as a celebration song and face off song. After about 20 seconds it fades out. Let me know if you have some suggestions for other songs. They are pretty easy to do.

Goal Horn (Horn Only):
    » YouTube video

Goal Horn (Joker and the Theif):
    » YouTube video

Goal Horn (Kernkraft 400):
    » YouTube video

Goal Horn (Chelsea Dagger):
    » YouTube video

Goal Horn (Thunderstruck:
    » YouTube video

Goal Horn (Oiler's Song):
    » YouTube video

Goal Horn (Our House):
    » YouTube video

PS: Anyone know the title of that "Oiler's Song"?

#917 32 days ago
    Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Well done! Especially like "Joker and the Thief" and "Kernkraft 400". What about "7 Nation Army"? What will actually play the sound? Something wired into the same speakers?

I haven't quite decided. Probably going to use an external speaker, but I'm seriously considering just redoing all of the game sounds. I just don't really think the crowd noise, ohhs and ahhs, or national anthem is worth keeping. With nine inputs on the board I'd eventually like to try to replace everything. Is there a good version of Seven Nation Army with the chants somewhere?

#932 29 days ago

It would be cool to develop an LED kit that has spots for custom video and audio files. That way if people wanted to customize things for a specific team they could do that.

#963 27 days ago

Great idea with the players names. I like how on the Blackhawks side each shaft is represented by a name/number. Why the extra names on the Bruin's side? I like the idea of having customized players without repainting or redecaling the figures themselves. I might even create little pockets, so it's truly just a matter of printing off a new player card. That would help keep the machine from becoming dated.

#993 23 days ago

Would be easier to flip up the glass with it that way though, since it's not against the wall.

2 weeks later
    #1033 8 days ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

If you're thinking about building a replacement panel like I did for super chexx I just used 5050 rgb led strips. I have been wondering what different colors of white would look like so I have some bright white, cool white and daylight led strips on order.

I'd think the cooler the better, but test them out and share some pictures.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 1,089.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 74.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Tim's Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Hardware
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Decals
    The MOD Couple
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 380.00
    $ 21.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 157.00
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 150.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lpeters82.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside